Genomes and Genes
Summary: A genus of the family POXVIRIDAE, subfamily CHORDOPOXVIRINAE, comprising many species infecting mammals. Viruses of this genus cause generalized infections and a rash in some hosts. The type species is VACCINIA VIRUS.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Microarray assay for detection and discrimination of Orthopoxvirus speciesVladimir A Ryabinin
State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology Vector, Novosibirsk Region, Kol tsovo, Russia
J Med Virol 78:1325-40. 2006A microarray method was developed for simultaneous detection and identification of six species of Orthopoxvirus (OPV) including Variola, Monkeypox, Cowpox, Camelpox, Vaccinia, and Ectromelia viruses...
- Smallpox vaccines: targets of protective immunityBernard Moss
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 3210, USA
Immunol Rev 239:8-26. 2011..to vaccine development, describes protein targets of humoral and cellular immunity, compares animal models of orthopoxvirus disease with human smallpox, and considers the status of second- and third-generation smallpox vaccines.
- Animal models of orthopoxvirus infectionJ L Chapman
DVM, Major, US Army, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Vet Pathol 47:852-70. 2010..the global community that either Variola virus (VARV), the causative agent of smallpox, or another species of Orthopoxvirus could be used as agents of bioterrorism...
- Formation of antiviral cytoplasmic granules during orthopoxvirus infectionM Simpson-Holley
Department of Microbiology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Virol 85:1581-93. 2011..This is a novel finding that supports the hypothesis that the formation of subcellular protein aggregates is an important component of the successful cellular antiviral response...
- Genes in the terminal regions of orthopoxvirus genomes experience adaptive molecular evolutionDavid J Esteban
Biology Department, Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, NY 12604, USA
BMC Genomics 12:261. 2011..Many genes experiencing diversifying selection are involved in host-pathogen interactions, such as antigen-antibody interactions, or the "host-pathogen arms race."..
- A novel highly reproducible and lethal nonhuman primate model for orthopox virus infectionMarit Kramski
Robert Koch Institut, Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 5:e10412. 2010..Therefore, the calpox virus/marmoset model is a suitable nonhuman primate model for the validation of vaccines and antiviral drugs. Furthermore, this model can help study mechanisms of OPV pathogenesis...
- A new inhibitor of apoptosis from vaccinia virus and eukaryotesCaroline Gubser
Department of Virology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Pathog 3:e17. 2007..This study identifies a new regulator of cell death that is highly conserved in evolution from plants to insects, amphibians, mammals, and poxviruses...
- Recombinant modified vaccinia virus Ankara provides durable protection against disease caused by an immunodeficiency virus as well as long-term immunity to an orthopoxvirus in a non-human primatePatricia L Earl
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Building 33, Room 1E19, 33 North Drive, MSC 3210, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Virology 366:84-97. 2007..routes (intramuscular, intradermal, or into the palatine tonsil) to protect against immunodeficiency and orthopoxvirus diseases in a non-human primate model...
- A silent enzootic of an orthopoxvirus in Ghana, West Africa: evidence for multi-species involvement in the absence of widespread human diseaseMary G Reynolds
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Mailstop G 43 Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:746-54. 2010..Animal tissues were examined for the presence of orthopoxvirus (OPXV) DNA using a real-time polymerase chain reaction, and sera were assayed for antibodies against OPXV...
- Poxvirus genomes: a phylogenetic analysisCaroline Gubser
Department of Virology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
J Gen Virol 85:105-17. 2004..together, with Suipoxvirus and Capripoxvirus sharing a common ancestor, and are distinct from the genus Orthopoxvirus (OPV)...
- Evolution of the Schlafen genes, a gene family associated with embryonic lethality, meiotic drive, immune processes and orthopoxvirus virulenceOlivia Bustos
Department of Biology The University of Texas Arlington, 501 S Nedderman Dr Arlington, TX 76019 0498, USA
Gene 447:1-11. 2009..This is of particular importance, since orthopoxviruses infect mammals and include variola, the causative agent of smallpox, and monkeypox, an emerging virus of great concern for human health...
- Adjuvant-enhanced antibody responses to recombinant proteins correlates with protection of mice and monkeys to orthopoxvirus challengesChristiana N Fogg
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Vaccine 25:2787-99. 2007....
- Detection of North American orthopoxviruses by real time-PCRNadia F Gallardo-Romero
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Division of High Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virol J 8:313. 2011..A real time PCR assay was developed to allow for highly sensitive and specific detection of North American orthopoxvirus DNA in animal tissues and bodily fluids...
- The pathology of experimental poxvirus infection in common marmosets (Callithrix jacchus): further characterization of a new primate model for orthopoxvirus infectionsK Mätz-Rensing
German Primate Center DPZ, Gottingen, Germany
J Comp Pathol 146:230-42. 2012Zoonotic orthopoxvirus (OPV) can induce severe disease in man and the virus has potential for use in bioterrorism. New vaccines and therapeutics against OPV infections must be tested in animal models...
- [Biohazards due to Orthopoxvirus: should we re-vaccinate against smallpox?]A J Georges
Centre International de Recherche Medicale de Franceville, Gabon
Med Trop (Mars) 59:483-7. 1999Although the WHO declared global smallpox eradication in 1980, the Orthopoxvirus remains a source of concern for several reasons...
- Rapid detection of Orthopoxvirus by semi-nested PCR directly from clinical specimens: a useful alternative for routine laboratoriesJônatas Santos Abrahão
Laboratorio de Virus, Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
J Med Virol 82:692-9. 2010b>Orthopoxvirus (OPV) has been associated with worldwide exanthematic outbreaks, which have resulted in serious economic losses as well as impact on public health...
- An orally bioavailable antipoxvirus compound (ST-246) inhibits extracellular virus formation and protects mice from lethal orthopoxvirus ChallengeGuang Yang
ViroPharma, Inc, Exton, Pennsylvania, USA
J Virol 79:13139-49. 2005..Taken together, these results validate F13L as an antiviral target and demonstrate that an inhibitor of extracellular virus formation can protect mice from orthopoxvirus-induced disease.
- Poxvirus CD8+ T-cell determinants and cross-reactivity in BALB/c miceDavid C Tscharke
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Virol 80:6318-23. 2006Mouse models of orthopoxvirus disease provide great promise for probing basic questions regarding host responses to this group of pathogens, which includes the causative agents of monkeypox and smallpox...
- Rapid and high-throughput pan-Orthopoxvirus detection and identification using PCR and mass spectrometryMark W Eshoo
Ibis Biosciences, Carlsbad, CA, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6342. 2009The genus Orthopoxvirus contains several species of related viruses, including the causative agent of smallpox (Variola virus)...
- Feline orthopoxvirus infection transmitted from cat to humanThomas Hawranek
Department of Dermatology, General Hospital Salzburg, Austria
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:513-8. 2003..degenerated keratinocytes, and virus particles in intermingled phagocytes, leading to the diagnosis of feline Orthopoxvirus (cowpox virus) infection. These results were verified by polymerase chain reaction and sequencing...
- Orthopoxvirus diagnosticsHermann Meyer
Institut fur Mikrobiologie der Bundeswehr, Munchen, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 269:119-34. 2004..papers from our laboratories with three different methods that should be suitable for the preparation of orthopoxvirus DNA from various sources (e.g...
- Camelpox virus encodes a schlafen-like protein that affects orthopoxvirus virulenceCaroline Gubser
Department of Virology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
J Gen Virol 88:1667-76. 2007..In the absence of a small animal model to study CMLV pathogenesis, the contribution of CMLV v-slfn to orthopoxvirus virulence was studied via its expression in an attenuated strain of VACV...
- The first outbreak of camelpox in SyriaHiroaki Nishikawa
Central Laboratory for Disease Diagnosis and Research, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Al Baath University, Hama Syria
J Vet Med Sci 69:541-3. 2007..The causative agent was identified as camelpox virus by polymerase chain reaction and sequencing of the hemagglutinin gene...
- Specific inhibition of orthopoxvirus replication by a small interfering RNA targeting the D5R geneSolenne Vigne
Virology Laboratory, Centre de Recherches du Service de Santé des Armées CRSSA Emile Pardé, Grenoble, France
Antivir Ther 13:357-68. 2008..Currently, there are no effective therapies against smallpox and new treatment strategies are greatly needed...
- Potential effect of prior raccoonpox virus infection in raccoons on vaccinia-based rabies immunizationJ Jeffrey Root
United States Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services, National Wildlife Research Center, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
BMC Immunol 9:57. 2008..Wildlife Services cooperative oral rabies vaccination (ORV) program uses a live vaccinia virus-vectored (genus Orthopoxvirus) vaccine, Raboral V-RG (V-RG), to vaccinate specific wildlife species against rabies virus in several regions ..
- Isolation and characterization of Indian isolates of camel pox virusV Bhanuprakash
Pox Virus Diseases Laboratory, Division of Virology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Mukteswar, 263138, Nainital, Uttarakhand, India
Trop Anim Health Prod 42:1271-5. 2010..Further, phylogenetic analysis of partial C18L gene sequences have showed that Indian CMLV are clustered together with other reported isolates/strains...
- Seroprevalence of orthopoxvirus in an Amazonian rural village, Acre, BrazilB E F Mota
Laboratorio de Virus, Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG 31270 901, Brazil
Arch Virol 155:1139-44. 2010..seroprevalence of orthopoxviruses in a community located in a rural settlement in the Amazon region, where no orthopoxvirus outbreaks have yet been reported. An overall seroprevalence of 27.89% was found, and it was 23...
- Highly attenuated smallpox vaccine protects rabbits and mice against pathogenic orthopoxvirus challengeCyril Empig
VaxGen Inc, 347 Oyster Point Boulevard, Suite 102, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Vaccine 24:3686-94. 2006..Thus, LC16m8 shows promise as a safe and effective smallpox vaccine with the potential for replacing Dryvax...
- Orthopoxvirus pan-genomic DNA assayYu Li
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Virol Methods 141:154-65. 2007....
- Buffalopox: an emerging and re-emerging zoonosisR K Singh
Division of Virology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Mukteswar 263 138, Nainital District, Uttarakhand, India
Anim Health Res Rev 8:105-14. 2007..The causative agent buffalopox virus (BPXV) is a member of the Orthopoxvirus, and is closely related to Vaccinia virus (VACV), the type-species of the genus...
- Structure and mechanism of IFN-gamma antagonism by an orthopoxvirus IFN-gamma-binding proteinAnthony A Nuara
Center for Biophysical Sciences and Engineering, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:1861-6. 2008..The structure, combined with biochemical and cell-based assays, demonstrates that IFN-gammaBP(ECTV) tetramers are required for efficient IFN-gamma antagonism...
- An outbreak of orthopoxvirus-associated disease in horses in southern BrazilMario C S Brum
DMVP CCR UFSM, Santa Maria, RS, Brazil, CEP 97105 900
J Vet Diagn Invest 22:143-7. 2010An outbreak of severe cutaneous disease associated with an orthopoxvirus in horses in southern Brazil is described...
- Progress in the discovery of compounds inhibiting orthopoxviruses in animal modelsDonald F Smee
Institute for Antiviral Research, Department of Animal, Dairy and Veterinary Sciences, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322, USA
Antivir Chem Chemother 19:115-24. 2008..of a bioterrorist incident involving either variola or monkeypox virus, or used to treat an occasional serious orthopoxvirus infection, such as disseminated vaccinia complication following exposure to the live virus vaccine...
- Species-specific differences in the structure of orthopoxvirus complement-binding proteinE A Uvarova
State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology Vector, Novosibirsk Region 630559, Koltsovo, Russia
Virus Res 81:39-45. 2001..For this purpose, VCP genes of three MPV strains were sequenced. VCP gene sequences of other human-pathogenic orthopoxvirus species and strains determined earlier were involved in the analysis...
- The phylogenetics and ecology of the orthopoxviruses endemic to North AmericaGinny L Emerson
Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CCID CDC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7666. 2009..support the North American orthopoxviruses (NA OPXV) in a sister relationship to all other currently described Orthopoxvirus (OPXV) species...
- Potential antiviral therapeutics for smallpox, monkeypox and other orthopoxvirus infectionsRobert O Baker
Department of Viral Therapeutics, Virology Division, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702 5011, USA
Antiviral Res 57:13-23. 2003..Preliminary data indicate that nearly all isolates appear to have similar drug sensitivities. These findings are currently being verified and expanded...
- The genome of camelpox virusC L Afonso
Plum Island Animal Disease Center, U S Department of Agriculture, Greenport, New York, 11944, USA
Virology 295:1-9. 2002Camelpox virus (CMLV), a member of the Orthopoxvirus genus in the Poxviridae, is the etiologic agent of a disease of camels. Here we report the CMLV genomic sequence with analysis...
- Electrostatic modeling predicts the activities of orthopoxvirus complement control proteinsGeorgia Sfyroera
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 174:2143-51. 2005..Using two highly related orthopoxvirus proteins, the vaccinia and variola (smallpox) virus complement control proteins, which differ by only 11 aa, ..
- Efficacy of delayed treatment with ST-246 given orally against systemic orthopoxvirus infections in miceDebra C Quenelle
University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, 128 Children s Harbor Building, 1600 6th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35233 1711, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:689-95. 2007..Viral replication in target organs of ECTV-infected mice was also reduced...
- Activity of the anti-orthopoxvirus compound ST-246 against vaccinia, cowpox and camelpox viruses in cell monolayers and organotypic raft culturesSophie Duraffour
Rega Institute for Medical Research, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Antivir Ther 12:1205-16. 2007..oxo-4,6-ethenocycloprop [f]isoindol-2(1 H)-yl)-benzamide] is an anti-orthopoxvirus compound active against several orthopoxviruses including vaccinia virus (VV), cowpox virus (CPV), camelpox ..
- The genomic sequence analysis of the left and right species-specific terminal region of a cowpox virus strain reveals unique sequences and a cluster of intact ORFs for immunomodulatory and host range proteinsS N Shchelkunov
Department of Molecular Biology of Genomes, State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology Vector Koitsovo, Novosibirsk Region, Russia
Virology 243:432-60. 1998..in the genetic structure of CPV-GRI DNA regions, homologous to fragments of the genomes of the above-mentioned orthopoxvirus strains...
- Detection of poxvirus in cattle associated with human cases in the State of Rio de Janeiro: preliminary reportH G Schatzmayr
Departamento de Virologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 95:625-7. 2000..The electron microscopic findings were consistent with parapoxviral and orthopoxviral infection. Orthopoxvirus strains were isolated from human and cow cases...
- Cowpox virus and other members of the orthopoxvirus genus interfere with the regulation of NF-kappaB activationK L Oie
Department of Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Virology 288:175-87. 2001..In this study, the effects of orthopoxvirus infection upon the activation of NF-kappaB were examined...
- Characterization of a vaccinia-like virus isolated in a Brazilian forestFlavio G da Fonseca
Laboratorio de Virus, Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627, caixa postal 2496, CEP 31270 901, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
J Gen Virol 83:223-8. 2002..Such a relationship was confirmed visually through the drawing of phylogenetic trees. The results point out the occurrence of a VV strain that is possibly in active circulation in the forests of Southeast Brazil...
- Characterization of ATI, TK and IFN-alpha/betaR genes in the genome of the BeAn 58058 virus, a naturally attenuated wild OrthopoxvirusJ T Marques
Departamento de Microbiologia, , Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Virus Genes 23:291-301. 2001..The BeAn 58058 virus (BAV) has been recently characterized and proposed to be an Orthopoxvirus. BAV was also shown to be less virulent in animal models than VV Lister...
- Enhanced inhibition of orthopoxvirus replication in vitro by alkoxyalkyl esters of cidofovir and cyclic cidofovirEarl R Kern
University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 2170, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:991-5. 2002..These compounds have been reported to have activity against orthopoxvirus replication in vitro and in animal models when administered parenterally or by aerosol...
- The sequence of camelpox virus shows it is most closely related to variola virus, the cause of smallpoxCaroline Gubser
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3RE, UK
J Gen Virol 83:855-72. 2002..Each comparison gave the same conclusion: CMPV is the closest known virus to variola virus, the cause of smallpox...
- Species-specific differences in organization of orthopoxvirus kelch-like proteinsSergei Shchelkunov
State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology Vector, Koltsovo, Novosibirsk Region, Russia
Virus Genes 24:157-62. 2002Organization of orthopoxvirus proteins of the kelch superfamily and their genes were analyzed and compared...
- Detection of smallpox virus DNA by LightCycler PCRMark J Espy
Division of Clinical Microbiology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:1985-8. 2002..and probes were designed specifically for detection of smallpox virus DNA, but all viruses of the genus Orthopoxvirus tested could be detected by use of the hemagglutinin gene target sequence...
- Identification of the orthopoxvirus p4c gene, which encodes a structural protein that directs intracellular mature virus particles into A-type inclusionsTerry A McKelvey
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Virol 76:11216-25. 2002The orthopoxvirus gene p4c has been identified in the genome of the vaccinia virus strain Western Reserve. This gene encodes the 58-kDa structural protein P4c present on the surfaces of the intracellular mature virus (IMV) particles...
- Araçatuba virus: a vaccinialike virus associated with infection in humans and cattleGiliane de Souza Trindade
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Emerg Infect Dis 9:155-60. 2003..the virus was done by using polymerase chain reaction amplification, cloning, and DNA sequencing of conserved orthopoxvirus genes such as the vaccinia growth factor (VGF), thymidine kinase (TK), and hemagglutinin...
- In vitro activity of potential anti-poxvirus agentsEarl R Kern
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama School of Medicine, BBRB 309, 845 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294 2170, USA
Antiviral Res 57:35-40. 2003The potential use of variola or another orthopoxvirus such as monkeypox as a weapon of bioterrorism has stimulated efforts to develop new drugs for treatment of smallpox or other poxvirus infections...
- A review of compounds exhibiting anti-orthopoxvirus activity in animal modelsDonald F Smee
Department of Animal, Dairy and Veterinary Sciences, Institute for Antiviral Research, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 5600, USA
Antiviral Res 57:41-52. 2003..models using mice (most frequently), rabbits, or monkeys have been used to identify compounds active against orthopoxvirus infections...
- Evaluation of nucleoside phosphonates and their analogs and prodrugs for inhibition of orthopoxvirus replicationKathy A Keith
University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2193-8. 2003..These data indicate that a number of these ANP derivatives have activity against vaccinia virus and cowpox virus in vitro and should be evaluated for their efficacies in animal models...
- Smallpox and pan-orthopox virus detection by real-time 3'-minor groove binder TaqMan assays on the roche LightCycler and the Cepheid smart Cycler platformsDavid A Kulesh
Diagnostic Systems Division, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Maryland 21702 5011
J Clin Microbiol 42:601-9. 2004..The early detection of a smallpox outbreak is crucial whether the incident is an act of bioterrorism or an accidental occurrence...
- Detection of orthopoxvirus DNA by real-time PCR and identification of variola virus DNA by melting analysisAndreas Nitsche
Robert Koch Institut, Zentrum für Biologische Sicherheit, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 42:1207-13. 2004..this study a complete set of four hybridization probe-based real-time PCR assays for the specific detection of orthopoxvirus DNA is presented...
- Inhibitory activity of alkoxyalkyl and alkyl esters of cidofovir and cyclic cidofovir against orthopoxvirus replication in vitroKathy A Keith
University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:1869-71. 2004..Activity was dependent on number of atoms in the alkyl or alkoxyalkyl chain, the linker moiety, and the presence of a double bond in the alkoxyalkyl chains linked to the phosphonate moiety of CDV...
- Real-time PCR system for detection of orthopoxviruses and simultaneous identification of smallpox virusVictoria A Olson
Poxvirus Section, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:1940-6. 2004..PCR primers were designed to detect all Eurasian-African species of the genus ORTHOPOXVIRUS: A single nucleotide mismatch resulting in a unique amino acid substitution in smallpox virus was used to ..
- Cutaneous infections of mice with vaccinia or cowpox viruses and efficacy of cidofovirDebra C Quenelle
The University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL, USA
Antiviral Res 63:33-40. 2004..There is no approved therapy for orthopoxvirus infections; however, cidofovir (CDV) has been approved as an investigational new drug for emergency treatment ..
- New class of orthopoxvirus antiviral drugs that block viral maturationChelsea M Byrd
Department of Microbiology, 220 Nash Hall, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
J Virol 78:12147-56. 2004..This novel class of inhibitors has potential for development as an efficient antiviral drug against pathogenic orthopoxviruses, including smallpox...
- Orthopoxvirus targets for the development of antiviral therapiesMark N Prichard
University of Alabama School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, 1600 6th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Curr Drug Targets Infect Disord 5:17-28. 2005..agent and the endemic presence of monkeypox virus in Africa underscores the need for better therapies for orthopoxvirus infections...
- Evolutionary history of orthopoxvirus proteins similar to human complement regulatorsEmily Ciulla
Department of Biology and Biotechnology, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA, USA
Gene 355:40-7. 2005..We employed phylogenetic tree analysis to evaluate the structural relationships among SCRs of orthopoxvirus RCA-like proteins and those of human complement regulators...
- Orthopoxvirus infection transmitted by a domestic catHolger A Haenssle
Department of Dermatology, Georg August University Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:S1-4. 2006..by the World Health Organization in 1980 but human infections by cowpox virus, another member of the genus Orthopoxvirus, are still observed, mainly in European countries...
- [The time scale in poxvirus evolution]I V Babkin
Mol Biol (Mosk) 40:20-4. 2006..the ancestor virus to form the modem genera approximately 500 thousand years ago; the ancestor of the genus Orthopoxvirus separated about 300 thousand years ago; and its division into the modem studied species took place ..
- Fatal poxvirus outbreak in a colony of New World monkeysK Mätz-Rensing
German Primate Center, Department of Infectious Pathology, Kellnerweg 4 D 37077 Göttingen, Germany
Vet Pathol 43:212-8. 2006..Preliminary phylogenetic analyses of two genes revealed closest homology to cowpox viruses. The origin of this poxvirus outbreak remains unexplained, and the strain and genus of the virus need to be determined in detail...
- Follow-up on diagnostic proficiency of laboratories equipped to perform orthopoxvirus detection and quantification by PCR: the second international external quality assurance studyMatthias Niedrig
Department of Virology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Str 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 44:1283-7. 2006..external quality assurance study on bioterrorism-relevant viruses, we have conducted a follow-up study on orthopoxvirus detection by PCR. Thirty-three laboratories (27 European, 4 Austral-Asian, and 2 American) participated...
- 5-(Dimethoxymethyl)-2'-deoxyuridine: a novel gem diether nucleoside with anti-orthopoxvirus activityXuesen Fan
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona 86011, USA
J Med Chem 49:3377-82. 2006To provide potential new leads for the treatment of orthopoxvirus infections, the 5-position of the pyrimidine nucleosides have been modified with a gem diether moiety to yield the following new nucleosides: 5-(dimethoxymethyl)-2'-..
- Toward orthopoxvirus countermeasures: a novel heteromorphic nucleoside of unusual structureXuesen Fan
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, 86011, USA
J Med Chem 49:4052-4. 2006..Compound 2 was efficiently phosphorylated by VV TK, establishing that VV TK is more promiscuous than previously believed...
- Short-term, but not post-exposure, protection against lethal orthopoxvirus challenge after immunization with modified vaccinia virus AnkaraCaroline Staib
GSF Institute of Molecular Virology and Institute of Virology, Technical University of Munich, 81675 Munchen, Germany
J Gen Virol 87:2917-21. 2006..These data suggest that, in addition to conventional vaccination, MVA may serve for potent emergency prophylaxis against orthopoxvirus infection.
- Raccoonpox in a Canadian catJulie A Yager
Yager Best Veterinary Surgical Pathology, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Vet Dermatol 17:443-8. 2006..Electron microscopic examination revealed virions of an orthopoxvirus, subsequently identified as raccoonpox by polymerase chain reaction and gene sequencing...
- N-(3,3a,4,4a,5,5a,6,6a-Octahydro-1,3-dioxo-4,6- ethenocycloprop[f]isoindol-2-(1H)-yl)carboxamides: Identification of novel orthopoxvirus egress inhibitorsThomas R Bailey
ViroPharma Incorporated, 397 Eagleview Boulevard, Exton, Pennsylvania 19341, USA
J Med Chem 50:1442-4. 2007A series of novel, potent orthopoxvirus egress inhibitors was identified during high-throughput screening of the ViroPharma small molecule collection...
- Activities of several classes of acyclic nucleoside phosphonates against camelpox virus replication in different cell culture modelsSophie Duraffour
Rega Institute for Medical Research, K U Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 10, Leuven, Belgium
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:4410-9. 2007..Our results demonstrate that compounds belonging to the newly synthesized ANPs, in addition to cidofovir, represent promising candidates for the treatment of poxvirus infections...
- Single-dose safety and pharmacokinetics of ST-246, a novel orthopoxvirus egress inhibitorRobert Jordan
SIGA Technologies, Inc, 4575 SW Research Way, Corvallis, OR 97330, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1721-7. 2008ST-246 is a novel, potent orthopoxvirus egress inhibitor that is being developed to treat pathogenic orthopoxvirus infections of humans...
- The highly conserved orthopoxvirus 68k ankyrin-like protein is part of a cellular SCF ubiquitin ligase complexKarin M Sperling
Paul Ehrlich Institut, Department of Virology, Paul Ehrlich Strasse 51 59, 63225 Langen, Germany
Virology 374:234-9. 2008..This interaction was F-box domain dependent and could also be observed in infected cells, indicating that SCF complex formation might be important for the viral life cycle...
- Activities of certain 5-substituted 4'-thiopyrimidine nucleosides against orthopoxvirus infectionsEarl R Kern
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, 35233, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:572-9. 2009..These results indicate that 4'-thioIDU is a potent, nontoxic inhibitor of orthopoxvirus replication in cell culture and experimental animal infections and suggest that it may have potential for use ..
- Detection of human orthopoxvirus infections and differentiation of smallpox virus with real-time PCRNiina Putkuri
Department of Virology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Med Virol 81:146-52. 2009..Amplification of variola virus sequences could be distinguished from other OPVs by melting curve analysis. We also demonstrated the applicability of the assay in human cases of cowpox and vaccinia virus infections...
- Specific targeting of the F13L protein by ST-246 affects orthopoxvirus production differentlySophie Duraffour
Rega Institute for Medical Research, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Antivir Ther 13:977-90. 2008..The discrepancy in sensitivities of several orthopoxviruses to ST-246 has raised questions about potential differences in their replicative cycles and/or the presence of another drug target...
- When good vaccines go wild: Feral Orthopoxvirus in developing countries and beyondNissin Moussatche
Dept Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0266, USA
J Infect Dev Ctries 2:156-73. 2008..This review examines the ability of potentially pathogenic orthopoxviruses, including feral versions of vaccinia virus vaccine, to persist in nature and re-emerge for reasons we do not yet understand...
- Efficacy of ST-246 versus lethal poxvirus challenge in immunodeficient miceDouglas W Grosenbach
SIGA Technologies Inc, Corvallis, OR 97333, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:838-43. 2010..ST-246, which targets the F13L protein in vaccinia virus and its homologs in other orthopoxvirus species, provides full protection from lethal poxviral disease in numerous animal models and seems to be safe ..
- Gene homology between orf virus and smallpox variola virusA A Mercer
Health Research Council Virus Research Unit, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Virus Genes 13:175-8. 1996..of unknown function reported to be produced by an open reading frame expressed early after infection by the orthopoxvirus Western Reserve vaccinia virus (VAC); the open reading frame is absent from VAC strain Copenhagen...
- Orthopoxvirus IL-18 binding proteins: affinities and antagonist activitiesS Calderara
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892-0445, USA
Virology 279:22-6. 2001..The relative affinities of the orthopoxvirus IL-18BPs are consistent with the rodent host range of the viruses.
- The vaccinia virus superoxide dismutase-like protein (A45R) is a virion component that is nonessential for virus replicationF Almazan
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3RE, United Kingdom
J Virol 75:7018-29. 2001..A45R is unusual in being the first VV core protein described that affects neither virus replication nor virulence...
- Inhibition of interferons by ectromelia virusVincent P Smith
Division of Virology, Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QP, United Kingdom
J Virol 76:1124-34. 2002Ectromelia virus (EV) is an orthopoxvirus (OPV) that causes mousepox, a severe disease of laboratory mice...
- The zoonotic poxvirusesSusan Lewis-Jones
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, Scotland
Dermatol Nurs 14:79-82, 85-6; quiz 87. 2002..Animal poxviruses occasionally produce human skin disease often associated with systemic illness. Lesions are painful blisters and crusted eschars and are usually self-limiting and rarely fatal. Treatment is generally supportive...
- Antiviral activity of cyclopentenyl nucleosides against orthopox viruses (Smallpox, monkeypox and cowpox)C K Chu
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Science, College of Pharmacy, The University of Georgia, Athens 30602, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 13:9-12. 2003..Among the synthesized nucleosides, the adenine 2 (Neplanocin A), cytosine 14, and 5-F-cytosine 15 analogues exhibited potent anti-orthopox virus activity, including smallpox virus...
- [Immunomodulatory proteins of orthopoxviruses]S N Shchelkunov
Institute of Molecular Biology, Vector State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology, Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Kol tsovo, Novosibirsk Oblast, 630559 Russia
Mol Biol (Mosk) 37:41-53. 2003..Emphasis was placed on the structure of molecular virulence factors that suppress the inflammatory reactions, immune response, and interferon effects induced by virus infection...
- Rapid detection and differentiation of human pathogenic orthopox viruses by a fluorescence resonance energy transfer real-time PCR assayMarcus Panning
Department of Virology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany
Clin Chem 50:702-8. 2004..PCR is a powerful tool to detect and differentiate orthopox viruses, and real-time PCR has the further advantages of rapid turnaround time, low risk of contamination, capability of strain differentiation, and use of multiplexed probes...
- Nucleic acid test screening of blood donors for orthopoxviruses can potentially prevent dispersion of viral agents in case of bioterrorismMichael Schmidt
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunohematology, German Red Cross, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Transfusion 45:399-403. 2005..Real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) followed by melting analysis was developed for fast and safe analysis and allows differentiation of VAR from other orthopoxviruses (OPVs) like vaccinia or camelpox virus...
- Preparation of monoclonal antibodies cross-reactive with orthopoxviruses and their application for direct immunofluorescence testNoritoshi Kitamoto
School of Human Science and Environment, University of Hyogo, Himeji, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 49:219-25. 2005..virus (smallpox virus), vaccinia virus (VV), cowpox virus (CPV) and ectromelia virus (EV) belong to the genus Orthopoxvirus of the family Poxviridae...
- Combinatorial optimization of isatin-beta-thiosemicarbazones as anti-poxvirus agentsMichael C Pirrung
Department of Chemistry, Levine Science Research Center, Box 90317, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0317, USA
J Med Chem 48:3045-50. 2005..Potent and much more selective N-aminomethyl-isatin-beta-thiosemicarbazones were discovered...
- The gene of the complement-binding protein, an important anti-inflammatory factor of orthopoxviruses, is deleted from the genome of Western African strains of monkeypox virusE A Uvarova
Vector Scientific and Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology, Kol tsovo, Novosibirsk Oblast, 630559 Russia
Dokl Biochem Biophys 400:14-6. 2005
- Inhibitory efficacy of cyclosal-nucleoside monophosphates of aciclovir and brivudin on DNA synthesis of orthopoxvi rusesAndreas Sauerbrei
Institute of Virology and Antiviral Therapy, University of Jena, Jena, Germany
Antivir Chem Chemother 17:25-31. 2006..The high inhibitory efficacy on both replication of viral DNA and infectious viral particles in cell cultures makes these compounds promising candidates for in vivo experiments...
- Protection induced in mice against a lethal orthopox virus by the Lister strain of vaccinia virus and modified vaccinia virus Ankara (MVA)Ihab Abdalrhman
Department of Virology, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, P O Box 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Vaccine 24:4152-60. 2006..Significant protection against a lethal dose of an orthopoxvirus was obtained in mice following immunization with the Lister strain, while larger doses and repeated ..
- FK506, a secondary metabolite produced by Streptomyces, presents a novel antiviral activity against Orthopoxvirus infection in cell cultureS A Reis
Laboratório de Biologia Molecular de Vírus, Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, CCS, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Appl Microbiol 100:1373-80. 2006To investigate the antiviral potential of the macrolide FK506, produced by Streptomyces tsukubaensis, against Orthopoxvirus infection in cell culture, and determine the replicative stage of viral cycle affected by the treatment.
- Use of internally controlled real-time genome amplification for detection of variola virus and other orthopoxviruses infecting humansC G Fedele
Alerts and Emergencies Unit, National Center of Microbiology, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ctra Pozuelo Majadahonda Km 2, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 44:4464-70. 2006Smallpox, once a devastating disease caused by Variola virus, a member of the Orthopoxvirus genus, was eradicated in 1980...
- Comparative study of pathological changes in the mouse viscera in infection caused by two orthopoxvirusesI V Vinogradov
Vector State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology, Novosibirsk
Bull Exp Biol Med 141:448-52. 2006..Differences in the types of cells replicating the viruses and in the type of visceral injuries were detected. The studies showed a local type of strain EP-2 cowpox infection and dissemination of ectromelia strain K-1...
- Smallpox vaccines: Past, present, and futureJanie Parrino
Vaccine Research Center, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 3017, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 118:1320-6. 2006....
- Understanding orthopoxvirus interference with host immune responses to inform novel vaccine designDavid J Pickup
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, and Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Box 3020, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710 USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 6:87-95. 2007Jenner's original vaccine used cowpox virus. Cowpox virus and, subsequently, vaccinia virus, a closely related Orthopoxvirus, provided the means to eradicate smallpox...
- B5r gene based sequence analysis of Indian buffalopox virus isolates in relation to other orthopoxvirusesR K Singh
Indian Veterinary Research Institute IVRI, Mukteswar, Nainital District, Uttaranchal, India
Acta Virol 51:47-50. 2007..199.7%) or other orthopoxviruses (95.699.2%) showed highly conserved nature of this protein and a closer relationship of BPXV isolates to VACV than to other orthopoxviruses...
- Long-lasting stability of vaccinia virus (orthopoxvirus) in food and environmental samplesS Essbauer
Bundeswehr Institute of Microbiology, Neuherbergstr 11, 80539 Munich, Germany
Zoonoses Public Health 54:118-24. 2007..Samples were titrated in MA 104 cells and the presence of viral DNA was demonstrated by orthopoxvirus-specific PCRs...
- Synergistic efficacy of the combination of ST-246 with CMX001 against orthopoxvirusesDebra C Quenelle
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233 1711, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:4118-24. 2007..synergistic both in vitro and in vivo and suggest that combination therapy using ST-246 and CMX001 for treatment of orthopoxvirus disease in humans or animals may provide an additional benefit over the use of the two drugs by themselves.
- N-methanocarbathymidine (N-MCT) for the Treatment of Herpes and Pox Virus InfectiAquilur Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2010..N-MCT), a promising antiviral drug that has shown potent and selective activity against the Herpes and Orthopoxvirus families...
- Immune Mechanisms That Control Ectromelia Virus InfectionLuis J Sigal; Fiscal Year: 2013..None of this is true for vaccinia virus (VACV), an orthopoxvirus of unknown origin, frequently used in mouse models of immunity, and made all the more suspect by preliminary ..
- Host defense against poxviruses and viral immune evasionLiang Deng; Fiscal Year: 2011..strategies to minimize vaccine-associated complications, such as eczema vaccinatum, and the reimmergence of orthopoxvirus infections in humans such as monkeypox...
- Seriodiagnostic arrays for biodefense and emerging infectious diseasesDAVID HUW DAVIES; Fiscal Year: 2010..the head of a product pipeline will be serodiagnostic immunostrips that will be evaluated for discriminating orthopoxvirus infections from clinically similar rash infections and for diagnosing TORCH infections associated with ..
- Stephen R Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2014..to: 1) Investigate the effect that route of administration of MVA has on the induction of dermatotropic orthopoxvirus-specific T cells;2) Determine the kinetics, magnitude, and trafficking marker expression of orthopoxvirus-..
- Stage-Specific Inhibitors of OrthopoxvirusesJohn H Connor; Fiscal Year: 2012..Vaccinia is the prototypical orthopoxvirus which was used in the world-wide vaccination program that eradicated smallpox...
- Small Molecule Inhibitors of the Poxvirus Type I Interferon Binding ProteinLuis J Sigal; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The genus Orthopoxvirus (OPV) includes, among others, the human pathogen variola virus (VARV), the zoonotic viruses monkeypox (MPXV) and cowpox virus (CPXV)~ the vaccine species vaccinia virus (VAC) ..
- HERVE F AGAISSE; Fiscal Year: 2014DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Orthopoxvirus genus of the family Poxviridae includes both the causative agent of smallpox, variola virus, and the vaccine strain used for smallpox eradication, Vaccinia virus...
- Poxvirus Modulation of Immune ResponsesJanice S Blum; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this resubmitted Program Project application, vaccinia virus will be used as a model for orthopoxvirus infection and to study the induction of host immunity...
- Smallpox vaccine and vaccinia complement control proteinSTUART ISAACS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Define the protection conferred by vaccinations with viruses containing modified VCP in the context of both orthopoxvirus and heterologous challenge models...
- INNATE IMMUNE RECEPTOR ANTAGONISM BY ORTHOPOXVIRUS PROTEINSAnthony R French; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We have identified a secreted orthopoxvirus-encoded protein, termed OMCP, which binds two receptors on innate immune effector cells. The first is NKG2D - an activating receptor of NK and T cells...
- Luis J Sigal; Fiscal Year: 2016..The Orthopoxvirus Ectromelia virus (ECTV), the agent of mousepox, is an outstanding model of natural infections and serves as ..
- ST-246 treatment of smallpox vaccine-related adverse eventsDouglas W Grosenbach; Fiscal Year: 2011..in more than 30 animal studies that ST-246 is safe and very effective for the prevention or treatment of orthopoxvirus infection, including variola, the causative agent of smallpox...
- Bertram L Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2016..Yet one of the major determinants of orthopoxvirus virulence, the E3L gene, differs significantly between these two closely related viruses...
- Poxvirus adverse effects on cardiac cells and the heartBarbara Sherry; Fiscal Year: 2005..Cowpox virus contains the full complement of known orthopoxvirus accessory genes that affect immune responses, while DryVax (the current vaccine strain of vaccinia virus) ..
- NUCLEOSIDES AS ANTI-ORTHOPOXVIRUS AGENTSJOHN SECRIST; Fiscal Year: 2003..Dr. Stewart Shuman of the Sloan Kettering Research Institute will be helping us by concentrating on the mechanism of action of the N1-aralkyloxyadenosine analogs. ..
- Dose Optimization, Production & Tox Testing of Replicon-Vaccines for SmallpoxKurt Kamrud; Fiscal Year: 2009..Orthopoxviruses remain a concern for a number of reasons. Naturally occurring orthopoxvirus disease and the threat of Orthopoxviruses used as biological weapons are just two examples...
- Development of an VEE Replicon Vaccine Against SmallpoxKurt Kamrud; Fiscal Year: 2005..posed by Orthopoxviruses could be eliminated by vaccination; however, because the smallpox vaccine is a live orthopoxvirus, the vaccine itself can pose serious health risks to both immunocompetent and especially immunocompromised ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF POXVIRUS PROTEINASE INHIBITORSDennis Hruby; Fiscal Year: 2002..The subsequent 40 years have produced a population that is immunologically naive and highly susceptible to orthopoxvirus infection...
- Therapeutics for Pox, Filo and Other Viral PathogensSTEWART SCHNELLER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Because of the extensive collaborations that have been ongoing for some time by this group of chemists and virologists, it can be expected that promising anti-orthopoxvirus and anti-filovirus agents will be uncovered.
- REGULATORY FUNCTIONS OF PROTEIN NUCLEIC ACID INTERACTIONWOLFGANG JOKLIK; Fiscal Year: 1991..A. We propose to examine the mechanisms involved in the generation of spontaneous rearrangements of the orthopoxvirus genome, focusing in particular on the factors that determine the extent, the sites and the frequency of such ..
- Variola Virus G1L:An Antiviral Drug TargetDennis Hruby; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our current research seeks to develop effective anti-orthopoxvirus drug(s), which is designated as a high priority biodefense project...
- ANTI-ORTHOPOXVIRUS DRUG DISCOVERY AND DEVELOPMENTSTEWART SCHNELLER; Fiscal Year: 2003..A consortium of three chemists and two virologists as project leaders, and a virologist consultant, has been put into place for this purpose. ..
- Rapid Diagnosis of Monkeypox and Smallpox InfectionsMARK SLIFKA; Fiscal Year: 2005..Development of these reagents will serve as independent confirmation of a recent orthopoxvirus outbreak and will also provide valuable information that is relevant to future vaccine design and treatment of ..
- Pox ProteomicsDennis Hruby; Fiscal Year: 2006..To advance our understanding of the replication cycle of the VV and other more pathogenic members of the orthopoxvirus family and to discover proteins that may become targets for a new antiviral drugs or antigens for a new ..
- ORTHOPOXVIRUS GENOMIC AND BIOINFORMATICS RESOURCE CENTERELLIOT LEFKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..the potential use of orthopoxviruses such as variola virus as a terrorist weapon, we propose to establish an Orthopoxvirus Genetic and Bioinformatics Resource Center that will collect, catalog, annotate, and analyze genetic ..
- BIACORE 2000 OPTICAL BIOSENSORSheldon Schuster; Fiscal Year: 1999..the regions of rhodopsin that bind to arrestin, Role of adhesion related molecules in Corneal Epithelial Integrity, and The properties of beta- chemokine binding to the orthopoxvirus encoded, secreted 35 kDa protein.
- DEVELOPMENT OF A LIVE ATTENUATED HSV-2 VACCINEMark Prichard; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition further in vitro characterization will enable high quality clinical trial material to be produced for IND enabling primate studies and early Phase I human trials. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Not Available ..
- Novel inhibitors of the replication of poxvirusesJohan Neyts; Fiscal Year: 2004..The final goal of this application is to advance a compound for the treatment of (systemic or cutaneous) poxvirus infections to the initial stages of development, i.e., selecting an IND candidate. ..
- CHEMISTRY-BIOLOGY INTERFACE TRAINING PROGRAMMichael Pirrung; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is intended to train future leaders in pharmaceutical, medical, and biotechnological research to serve in academia, government, and industry. ..
- WORLD REFERENCE CENTER FOR ARBOVIRUSESRobert Tesh; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- BIOORGANIC CHEMISTRY OF ANTIBACTERIALSMichael Pirrung; Fiscal Year: 2001..An ancillary benefit of this project will be the development of novel techniques in solid phase synthesis through the total synthesis of natural products. ..
- POXVIRUS SCR-CONTAINING PROTEINS AS THERAPEUTIC TARGETSSTUART ISAACS; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, because both VCP and BSR are present in variola virus, these new therapies may be effective against smallpox infection. ..
- Immunodominant epitopes of a smallpox vaccine in humansR Buller; Fiscal Year: 2003..The Specific Aims are to: 1. Characterize the antibody responses to immunodominant vaccinia virus proteins and 2. Identify the epitope specificity of representative vaccinia virus-specific T cell clones. ..
- COMBINATORIAL APPROACHES TO ANTI-SMALLPOX AGENTSMichael Pirrung; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Anti-interferon Activity of the Arenavirus NucleoproteinJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ORTHOPOXVIRUS GENOMICS AND BIOINFORMATICS RESOURCE CENTER Buller; Fiscal Year: 2003..This proposal will support the acquisition and analysis of orthopoxvirus genomic information to facilitate its application to the development of therapies and improved vaccines for ..
- Novel Approaches to the Inhibition of Anthrax ToxinANDREW ARTENSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF BORNA DISEASE VIRUS (BDV)JUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Conditions required for reconstitution of BDV transcription and RNA replication by intracellular coexpression of BDV minigenome and BDV proteins from separated plasmids will be determined. ..
- Biology of Animal Nuclear MononegavirusesJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- GENE REGULATION OF MAMMALIAN DNA VIRUSESRichard Moyer; Fiscal Year: 2005..Their studies are intended to provide an understanding of how poxvirus serpins function by detailing their interactions with proteinases and with other cellular and viral proteins. ..
- Novel Antiviral Strategy to Combat ArenavirusesJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- CD8+ T cell specificity in mouse models of smallpox vaccination and challengeDavid Tscharke; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will provide basic information about the immune response to poxviruses and will help us know how best to use immunological knowledge and tools to design and test new smallpox: vaccines. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Poxvirus proteins involved in virion binding, membrane fusion, & entry into cellsRichard Moyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our studies are intended to provide an understanding of how poxvirus serpins function by detailing their interactions with proteinases and with other cellular and viral proteins. ..
- Neuroimmunologic Disorders Induced by Chronic Viral InfectionJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Protein Interactions Involved in Poxvirus EnvelopmentBrian Ward; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Medicinal Chemistry and Biology of Oral Insulin MimicsMichael Pirrung; Fiscal Year: 2006..They would therefore increase the reliability of diabetes management, particularly for children. ..
- Identification of Borna Disease Virus Receptor ProteinsJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..G*/p56; 3) Determination of expression pattern of BDV candidate receptors in vivo. ..
- Synthesis/Biological evaluation of Anti-HIV NucleosidesDavid Chu; Fiscal Year: 2005..This is the first such studies demonstrating the potential of this molecular modeling approach. ..
- Study of monkeypox virus in rodentsR Buller; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology of Yellow Fever in the AmericasRobert Tesh; Fiscal Year: 2005..Most of the work will be done in laboratories at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Center for Tropical Diseases; but a small portion will be done at the Evandro Chagas Institute in Belem, Brazil. ..
- VACCINIA B5R PROTEIN IN SPREAD IMMUNE EVASION, VACCINESSTUART ISAACS; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Immune cell dynamics during central nervous system viral infectionJuan C de la Torre; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Aminoglycoside Antivirals to Combat ArenavirusesJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Emergence of resistant variants will be assessed based on production of infectious virus and intracellular levels of virus RNA synthesis during serial passages in the presence of aminoglycosides with anti-LCMV activity. ..
- REVERSE GENETICS OF ARENAVIRUSESJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will use biochemical, genetics and functional assays to assess the relevance in Arenavirus biology of candidates initially identified by TAP/MS. ..
- Pathogenesis and Gene Regulation of EntomopoxvirusRichard Moyer; Fiscal Year: 2005..Each gene will be evaluated for biochemical function. Collectively, the proposed experiments will elucidate added diversity by which viruses counter the defenses of host organisms. ..