Genomes and Genes
Summary: The system of all phenomena in space and time; the totality of physical reality. It is both a scientific and philosophic concept appearing in all historic eras. (Webster 2d; Dr. James H. Cassedy, NLM History of Medicine Division)
Publications252 found, 100 shown here
- The impacts of nature experience on human cognitive function and mental healthGregory N Bratman
Emmett Interdisciplinary Program in Environment and Resources, Stanford University, California 94305, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1249:118-36. 2012..We review the effects of such nature experience on human cognitive function and mental health, synthesizing work from environmental psychology, urban ..
- Mechanisms and structures of crotonase superfamily enzymes--how nature controls enolate and oxyanion reactivityR B Hamed
Chemistry Research Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TA, UK
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:2507-27. 2008..The range and efficiency of known CS-catalyzed reactions coupled to their common structural platforms suggest that CS variants may have widespread utility in biocatalysis...
- Greening healthcare: practicing as if the natural environment really matteredKatherine N Irvine
School of Natural Resources and Environment, The Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 8:76-83. 2002..quot; This article discusses the breadth of existing knowledge available on the positive aspects of interaction with nature and provides a comprehensive theoretical perspective for future research.
- Uncovering the overlapping community structure of complex networks in nature and societyGergely Palla
Biological Physics Research Group of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Pázmány P stny 1A, H 1117 Budapest, Hungary
Nature 435:814-8. 2005Many complex systems in nature and society can be described in terms of networks capturing the intricate web of connections among the units they are made of...
- Gender and urban perceptions of nature and protected areas in Bañados del Este biosphere reserveDiego Martino
Centro Latino Americano de Ecologia Social CLAES, Magallanes 1334, Montevideo, Uruguay
Environ Manage 41:654-62. 2008..in conservation projects is key to the success and fair outcome of these initiatives, and perceptions of nature can affect the outcome of the participatory process...
- Evidence for a fundamental and pervasive shift away from nature-based recreationOliver R W Pergams
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Illinois, 845 West Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:2295-300. 2008..To evaluate whether we are seeing a fundamental shift away from people's interest in nature, we tested for similar longitudinal declines in 16 time series representing four classes of nature participation ..
- A systematic review of evidence for the added benefits to health of exposure to natural environmentsDiana E Bowler
Centre for Evidence Based Conservation, School of Environment, Natural Resources and Geography, Bangor University, Gwynedd LL57 2UW, UK
BMC Public Health 10:456. 2010..However, the evidence-base for specific and direct health or well-being benefits of activity within natural compared to more synthetic environments has not been systematically assessed...
- Nature-assisted therapy: systematic review of controlled and observational studiesMatilda Annerstedt
Area of Work Science, Business Economics, and Environmental Psychology, Department of Landscape Planning, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Alnarp, Sweden
Scand J Public Health 39:371-88. 2011b>Nature's potentially positive effect on human health may serve as an important public health intervention...
- Electronic and optoelectronic materials and devices inspired by natureP Meredith
Centre for Organic Photonics and Electronics, School of Mathematics and Physics, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Rep Prog Phys 76:034501. 2013..We focus primarily on organic and bio-organic electronic and optoelectronic systems derived from or inspired by nature, and outline the complex charge transport and photo-physics which control their behaviour...
- Beyond toxicity: human health and the natural environmentH Frumkin
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Am J Prev Med 20:234-40. 2001..Later authors have expanded this concept to suggest that humans have an innate bond with nature more generally. This implies that certain kinds of contact with the natural world may benefit health...
- The fractal nature of nature: power laws, ecological complexity and biodiversityJames H Brown
Department of Biology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87131, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 357:619-26. 2002....
- Field physiology: physiological insights from animals in natureDaniel P Costa
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, California 95064, USA
Annu Rev Physiol 66:209-38. 2004..the methods and inference afforded by an application of this physiological analysis to organismal function in nature, often in extreme environments...
- Multicellular microorganisms: laboratory versus natureZdena Palkova
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, Charles University, Vinicna 5, 12844 Prague 2, Czech Republic
EMBO Rep 5:470-6. 2004..is accompanied by complex changes that include the repression of some protective mechanisms that are essential in nature. Laboratory microorganisms that have been cultured for long periods under optimized conditions might therefore ..
- Healthy nature healthy people: 'contact with nature' as an upstream health promotion intervention for populationsCecily Maller
Affiliated with the NiCHE Research Team Nature in Community, Health and Environment of the School of Health and Social Development, Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
Health Promot Int 21:45-54. 2006..gardens appear to intuitively understand the personal health and well-being benefits arising from 'contact with nature', public health strategies are yet to maximize the untapped resource nature provides, including the benefits of ..
- Perceived health is associated with visiting natural favourite places in the vicinityKalevi M Korpela
Department of Psychology, University of Tampere, 33014 Tampere, Finland
Health Place 13:138-51. 2007..The change toward positive feelings was associated in particular with natural favourite places and relaxing in them. The results give impetus to research on the self-regulation of mood and neighbourhood context in health...
- Stable isotopes as one of nature's ecological recordersJason B West
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84115, USA
Trends Ecol Evol 21:408-14. 2006..The melding of advances in genetics, biochemical profiling and spatial analysis with those in isotope analyses and modeling sophistication opens the door to an exciting future in ecological research...
- Off the couch and on the move: global public health and the medicalisation of natureTim Brown
Geography Department, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
Soc Sci Med 64:1343-54. 2007..and the spatiality of scientific knowledge to explore one particular element of it: namely, the identification of nature as a setting for the promotion of physical activity...
- The Anthropocene: are humans now overwhelming the great forces of Nature?Will Steffen
Fenner School of Environmental and Society, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Ambio 36:614-21. 2007..The Great Acceleration is reaching criticality. Whatever unfolds, the next few decades will surely be a tipping point in the evolution of the Anthropocene...
- Plant breeders go back to natureDani Zamir
Nat Genet 40:269-70. 2008
- Children with attention deficits concentrate better after walk in the parkAndrea Faber Taylor
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Atten Disord 12:402-9. 2009..In the general population, attention is reliably enhanced after exposure to certain physical environments, particularly natural environments. This study examined the impacts of environments on attention in children with ADHD...
- The cognitive benefits of interacting with natureMarc G Berman
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1043, USA
Psychol Sci 19:1207-12. 2008..b>Nature, which is filled with intriguing stimuli, modestly grabs attention in a bottom-up fashion, allowing top-down ..
- Cyanogenesis of wild lima bean (Phaseolus lunatus L.) is an efficient direct defence in natureDaniel J Ballhorn
Department of General Botany Plant Ecology, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e5450. 2009..cyanogenesis has to be considered as an important direct defensive trait affecting lima beans' overall defence in nature. Our results indicate the general importance of analysing 'multiple defence syndromes' rather than single defence ..
- The common patterns of natureS A Frank
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 2525, USA
J Evol Biol 22:1563-85. 2009..These neutral generative models often match common patterns of nature. In this paper, I present the theoretical background by which we can understand why these neutral generative ..
- A global perspective on trends in nature-based tourismAndrew Balmford
Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
PLoS Biol 7:e1000144. 2009Reports of rapid growth in nature-based tourism and recreation add significant weight to the economic case for biodiversity conservation but seem to contradict widely voiced concerns that people are becoming increasingly isolated from ..
- Can nature make us more caring? Effects of immersion in nature on intrinsic aspirations and generosityNetta Weinstein
Clinical and Social Sciences in Psychology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 35:1315-29. 2009Four studies examined the effects of nature on valuing intrinsic and extrinsic aspirations...
- Biophilia: does visual contact with nature impact on health and well-being?Bjørn Grinde
Norwegian Institute of Public Health, PO Box 4404 Nydalen, 0403 Oslo, Norway
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:2332-43. 2009It is concluded that an environment devoid of Nature may act as a "discord", i.e., have a negative effect...
- Trees and networks before and after DarwinMark A Ragan
The University of Queensland, Institute for Molecular Bioscience, St Lucia, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Biol Direct 4:43; discussion 43. 2009..mid-Eighteenth century the Great Chain of Being was increasingly seen to be an inadequate description of order in nature, and by about 1780 it had been largely abandoned without a satisfactory alternative having been agreed upon...
- Stress recovery during exposure to nature sound and environmental noiseJesper J Alvarsson
Gösta Ekman Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Environ Res Public Health 7:1036-46. 2010..To test whether auditory stimulation has similar effects, 40 subjects were exposed to sounds from nature or noisy environments after a stressful mental arithmetic task...
- Structure-switching biosensors: inspired by NatureAlexis Vallée-Bélisle
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Curr Opin Struct Biol 20:518-26. 2010Chemosensing in nature relies on biomolecular switches, biomolecules that undergo binding-induced changes in conformation or oligomerization to transduce chemical information into specific biochemical outputs...
- Lessons from nature for preservation of mammalian cells, tissues, and organsKelvin G M Brockbank
Cell and Tissue Systems, Inc, 2231 Technical Parkway, Suite A, North Charleston, SC 29401, USA
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 47:210-7. 2011..However, we must remember that nature's survival strategies may include production of AFPs, antifreeze glycolipids, ice nucleators, polyols, ..
- The Nature Index: a general framework for synthesizing knowledge on the state of biodiversityGrégoire Certain
Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Trondheim, Norway
PLoS ONE 6:e18930. 2011..The Nature Index framework samples scientific information on biodiversity from a variety of sources, synthesizes this ..
- Relations between urban bird and plant communities and human well-being and connection to natureGary W Luck
Institute for Land, Water and Society, Charles Sturt University, Albury, NSW 2640, Australia
Conserv Biol 25:816-26. 2011..with a diversity of native species may adversely affect residents' personal well-being and emotional connection to nature. We assessed the personal well-being, neighborhood well-being (a measure of a person's satisfaction with their ..
- Genome-wide epigenetic perturbation jump-starts patterns of heritable variation found in natureFabrice Roux
Laboratoire Génétique et Evolution des Populations Végétales, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 3268, Université des Sciences et Technologies de Lille 1, 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Genetics 188:1015-7. 2011..Our findings indicate that epigenetically induced and naturally occurring variation in complex traits share part of their polygenic architecture and may offer complementary adaptation routes in ecological settings...
- A review of the impacts of nature based recreation on birdsRochelle Steven
School of Environment, Griffith University, Gold Coast, Queensland 4222, Australia
J Environ Manage 92:2287-94. 2011b>Nature based recreation such as wildlife viewing, hiking, running, cycling, canoeing, horse riding and dog walking can have negative environmental effects...
- Valuing biodiversity and ecosystem services: Why put economic values on Nature?Jean Michel Salles
CNRS, UMR 5474 LAMETA, 2, Place Viala, 34060 Montpellier Cedex 2, France
C R Biol 334:469-82. 2011..We conclude with a discussion of the purposes of evaluations: improving public policies or creating new markets?..
- The constructal law and the evolution of design in natureAdrian Bejan
Duke University, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Durham, NC 27708 0300, USA
Phys Life Rev 8:209-40. 2011..At the global level, the constructal law accounts for the geography and design of human movement, wealth and communications...
- Cochlea and other spiral forms in nature and artSlobodan Marinkovic
Institute of Anatomy, University School of Medicine, Belgrade, Serbia
Am J Otolaryngol 33:80-7. 2012The original appearance of the cochlea and the specific shape of a spiral are interesting for both the scientists and artists. Yet, a correlation between the cochlea and the spiral forms in nature and art has been very rarely mentioned.
- Underestimating nearby nature: affective forecasting errors obscure the happy path to sustainabilityElizabeth K Nisbet
Department of Psychology, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S5B6
Psychol Sci 22:1101-6. 2011Modern lifestyles disconnect people from nature, and this may have adverse consequences for the well-being of both humans and the environment...
- Contributions of the US state park system to nature recreationJuha Siikamäki
Resources for the Future, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:14031-6. 2011b>Nature recreation in the United States concentrates in publicly provided natural areas. They are costly to establish and maintain, but their societal contributions are difficult to measure...
- Health benefits of a view of nature through the window: a quasi-experimental study of patients in a residential rehabilitation centerRuth Kjærsti Raanaas
Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As, Norway
Clin Rehabil 26:21-32. 2012..To examine the health benefits of a bedroom window view to natural surroundings for patients undergoing a residential rehabilitation programme...
- Are nature lovers happy? On various indicators of well-being and connectedness with natureRenate Cervinka
Medical University of Vienna, Center for Public Health, Kinderspitalgasse 15, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Health Psychol 17:379-88. 2012Connectedness with nature (CN) is seen as a personal disposition relevant for environmental as well as human health...
- The effects of views of nature on autonomic controlV F Gladwell
Department of Biological Sciences, Centre for Sport and Exercise Science, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, CO4 3SQ, UK
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:3379-86. 2012Previously studies have shown that nature improves mood and self-esteem and reduces blood pressure...
- Stress-reducing effects of real and artificial nature in a hospital waiting roomCamiel J Beukeboom
Department of Communication Science, VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Altern Complement Med 18:329-33. 2012This field study investigated the potential stress-reducing effects of exposure to real or artificial nature on patients in a hospital waiting room...
- Biological water oxidation: lessons from natureMohammad Mahdi Najafpour
Department of Chemistry, Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
Biochim Biophys Acta 1817:1110-21. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Photosynthesis Research for Sustainability: from Natural to Artificial...
- Biofouling: lessons from natureGregory D Bixler
Nanoprobe Laboratory for Bio and Nanotechnology and Biomimetics, Ohio State University, Columbus, 43210 1142, USA
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 370:2381-417. 2012..b>Nature offers many solutions to control fouling through various physical and chemical control mechanisms...
- Unraveling the thread of nature's tapestry: the genetics of diversity and convergence in animal pigmentationMarcus R Kronforst
FAS Center for Systems Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 25:411-33. 2012..In the near future, additional work in other emerging systems will substantially expand the scope of available comparisons...
- When walking in nature is not restorative-the role of prospect and refugeBirgitta Gatersleben
University of Surrey Department of Psychology, Stag Hill, Guildford, GU2 7XH, United Kingdom
Health Place 20:91-101. 2013..These findings demonstrate that natural places may not always be restorative places...
- Things rank and gross in nature: a review and synthesis of moral disgustHanah A Chapman
Department of Psychology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychol Bull 139:300-27. 2013..We highlight a number of outstanding issues and conclude by describing 3 models of moral disgust, each of which aims to provide an account of the relationship between moral and physical disgust...
- What are the benefits of interacting with nature?Lucy E Keniger
School of Biological Sciences, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Int J Environ Res Public Health 10:913-35. 2013There is mounting empirical evidence that interacting with nature delivers measurable benefits to people...
- Teleological reasoning about nature: intentional design or relational perspectives?Bethany Ojalehto
Psychology Department, Northwestern University, 2029 Sheridan Road 102 Swift Hall, Evanston, IL 60208 2710, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 17:166-71. 2013..interpretation, proposing that the teleological stance may not index a deep-rooted belief that nature was designed for a purpose, but instead may reflect an appreciation of the perspectival relations among living ..
- Viewing nature scenes positively affects recovery of autonomic function following acute-mental stressDaniel K Brown
School of Biological Sciences, University of Essex, Colchester, CO4 3SQ, United Kingdom
Environ Sci Technol 47:5562-9. 2013..The two scenes were (a) nature (composed of trees, grass, fields) or (b) built (composed of man-made, urban scenes lacking natural ..
- Inducing physiological stress recovery with sounds of nature in a virtual reality forest--results from a pilot studyMatilda Annerstedt
Department of Landscape Planning, Division of Work Science, Business Economics and Environmental Psychology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, 230 53 Alnarp, Sweden
Physiol Behav 118:240-50. 2013Experimental research on stress recovery in natural environments is limited, as is study of the effect of sounds of nature. After inducing stress by means of a virtual stress test, we explored physiological recovery in two different ..
- Gull-derived trace elements trigger small-scale contamination in a remote Mediterranean nature reserveGeraldina Signa
Department of Earth and Marine Sciences, University of Palermo, CoNISMa, Via Archirafi 18, 90123 Palermo, Italy Electronic address
Mar Pollut Bull 74:237-43. 2013..small colony in conveying trace elements (As, Cd, Cr, Cu, Ni, Pb, THg, V, Zn) was assessed in a Mediterranean nature reserve (Marinello ponds) at various spatial and temporal scales...
- Nature-assisted rehabilitation for reactions to severe stress and/or depression in a rehabilitation garden: long-term follow-up including comparisons with a matched population-based reference cohortPeter Wahrborg
Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, The Sahlgrenska Academy Göteborg University, 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
J Rehabil Med 46:271-6. 2014To determine the effect of a nature-assisted rehabilitation programme in a group of patients with reactions to severe stress and/or mild to moderate depression...
- With or against nature? IVF, gender and reproductive agency in Athens, GreeceHeather Paxson
Anthropology Department, Pitzer College, 1050 N Mills Av, Claremont, CA 91711 6101, USA
Soc Sci Med 56:1853-66. 2003..argues that in vitro fertilization (IVF) in urban Greece does not so much make explicit the social construction of nature, as has been argued of the US and UK, but is accommodated into a prior understanding of "nature" as socially ..
- Molecular biomimetics: utilizing nature's molecular ways in practical engineeringCandan Tamerler
Materials Science and Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Acta Biomater 3:289-99. 2007In nature, proteins are the machinery that accomplish many functions through their specific recognition and interactions in biological systems from single-celled to multicellular organisms...
- The number of protein folds and their distribution over families in natureXinsheng Liu
National Lab of Solid State Microstructure, Department of Physics and Institute of Biophysics, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Proteins 54:491-9. 2004..However, the total number of folds and families, and furthermore, the distribution of folds over families in nature, are still an enigma...
- Is love of nature in the US becoming love of electronic media? 16-year downtrend in national park visits explained by watching movies, playing video games, internet use, and oil pricesOliver R W Pergams
Department of Biological Sciences MC 066, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
J Environ Manage 80:387-93. 2006..015, F=37.800, P<0.0001). We may be seeing evidence of a fundamental shift away from people's appreciation of nature (biophilia, Wilson 1984) to 'videophilia,' which we here define as "the new human tendency to focus on sedentary ..
- Spatial bias induced by a non-conflictual task reveals the nature of space perceptionEve Dupierrix
Laboratoire de Psychologie et NeuroCognition, CNRS UMR 5105, Grenoble, France
Brain Res 1214:127-35. 2008..Accordingly, ecological sensori-motor experience could be involved in asymmetric perception exhibited by normal individuals and neglect patients...
- Healthy workplaces: the effects of nature contact at work on employee stress and healthErin Largo-Wight
University of North Florida, Brooks College of Health, Department of Public Health, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Public Health Rep 126:124-30. 2011..To date, it is unknown if nature contact in the workplace is related to employee stress and health...
- Antibody evolution beyond NatureCarl A K Borrebaeck
Department of Immunotechnology, Lund University, P O Box 7031, SE 220 07 Lund, Sweden
Nat Biotechnol 20:1189-90. 2002
- Health and well-being naturally: 'contact with nature' in health promotion for targeted individuals, communities and populationsAnita Pryor
School of Health and Social Development, Deakin University, Victoria
Health Promot J Austr 17:114-23. 2006..Although natural spaces are coming to be recognised as health-promoting settings for general populations, little is understood about the use of nature-contact in treatment and care for individuals experiencing ill-health.
- Sinning against nature: the theory of background conditionsR Blackford
School of Philosophy and Bioethics, Monash University, Wellington Road, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
J Med Ethics 32:629-34. 2006..of particular sexual practices and new technologies often include appeals to a supposed imperative to follow nature. If nature is understood as the totality of all phenomena or as those things that are not artificial, there is ..
- Sustainability or collapse: what can we learn from integrating the history of humans and the rest of nature?Robert Costanza
Gund Institute for Ecological Economics, Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, The University of Vermont, Burlington 05405, USA
Ambio 36:522-7. 2007Understanding the history of how humans have interacted with the rest of nature can help clarify the options for managing our increasingly interconnected global system...
- The social nature of natural childbirthBecky Mansfield
Department of Geography, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43202, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:1084-94. 2008..all birth is both social and natural, the paper investigates how proponents represent the relationship between nature and society...
- Decline in nature-based recreation is not evidentMaarten H Jacobs
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:E40; author reply E41-2. 2008
- The importance of getting back to nature for people with dementiaAnn Bossen
Multi Level Translational Research Application in Nursing Homes, University of Iowa College of Nursing, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1121, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 36:17-22. 2010..This article will review current literature and some older seminal works on nature and nature-based stimuli for people with dementia, especially those living in nursing homes.
- Persistent cooperators in natureXinsheng Liu
Institute of Nanoscience, Academy of Frontier Science, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing 210016, China
J Theor Biol 267:647-52. 2010..We list many real examples in which contributors are the persistent cooperators, and they benefit. This indicates a simple norm promoting cooperation: contributing more and gaining more...
- Gathering "tea"--from necessity to connectedness with nature. Local knowledge about wild plant gathering in the Biosphere Reserve Grosses Walsertal (Austria)Susanne Grasser
Working Group Knowledge Systems and Innovations, Division of Organic Farming, Department for Sustainable Agricultural Systems, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences BOKU, Gregor Mendel Straße 33, Vienna 1180, Austria
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 8:31. 2012..as a form of intangible cultural heritage expressing local preferences, habits and man's relationship with nature. In the Biosphere Reserve Grosses Walsertal (Austria), local people's knowledge of the gathering of wild plants ..
- Nature's gift to science (Nobel lecture)Sydney Brenner
Salk Institute, 100010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California, USA
Chembiochem 4:683-7. 2003
- Cicada wings: a stamp from nature for nanoimprint lithographyGuoming Zhang
Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology, Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University, Beijing 100871, PR China
Small 2:1440-3. 2006
- The impact of nature experience on willingness to support conservationPatricia A Zaradic
Red Rock Institute, Inc, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7367. 2009We hypothesized that willingness to financially support conservation depends on one's experience with nature. In order to test this hypothesis, we used a novel time-lagged correlation analysis to look at times series data concerning ..
- The medicalization of "nature" in the "artificial body": surrogate motherhood in IsraelElly Teman
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Med Anthropol Q 17:78-98. 2003In this article, I draw on anthropological and feminist scholarship on the body and the nature/culture divide as a framework for understanding the place of surrogate mothers in a conceptual ideology that connects motherhood with nature...
- Narratives of nature and nanotechnologyFern Wickson
Centre for the Study of the Sciences and the Humanities SVT, University of Bergen, Post Box 7805, N 5020 Bergen, Norway
Nat Nanotechnol 3:313-5. 2008
- Characteristics of color memory for natural scenesKinjiro Amano
Imaging Science and Engineering Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Nagatsuta, Yokohama, Japan
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 19:1501-14. 2002..Detecting changes within each color category was more difficult than across the categories. A multiple mechanism that processes color differences and categorical colors is briefly considered...
- Color constancy in natural scenes with and without an explicit illuminant cueKinjiro Amano
Sensing, Imaging, and Signal Processing Group, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Vis Neurosci 23:351-6. 2006..Even when the sky was eliminated from view, color constancy did not worsen. Judging surface color in natural scenes seems to be independent of an explicit illuminant cue...
- Visual sensitivity to color errors in images of natural scenesMikel A Aldaba
Department of Physics, Minho University, Campus de Gualtar, Braga, Portugal
Vis Neurosci 23:555-9. 2006..2. Although a large variation of performance across the nine images tested was found when errors were expressed in CIELAB units, little variation was obtained when they were expressed in S-CIELAB units...
- Anomalous trichromats' judgments of surface color in natural scenes under different daylightsRigmor C Baraas
Department of Optometry and Visual Science, Buskerud University College, Norway
Vis Neurosci 23:629-35. 2006..The results are considered in relation to the spectral coverage of cones, rod intrusion, and the characterization of anomalous trichromacy by the Rayleigh match...
- Interference from filled delays on visual change detectionTal Makovski
Department of Psychology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
J Vis 6:1459-70. 2006..Much research has focused on the nature of visual representation for the pre- and postchange displays, yet little is known about how visual change ..
- Gradient direction dependencies in natural imagesAlexandre J Nasrallah
Department of Computer Science, Malet Place Engineering Building, University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Spat Vis 20:277-99. 2007..Moreover, this relationship does not extend to individual natural images, the amount of dependency between gradient magnitudes, or gradient directions at high gradient magnitude locations...
- Cone selectivity derived from the responses of the retinal cone mosaic to natural scenesThomas Wachtler
Neurophysics Group, Department of Physics, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
J Vis 7:6. 2007..This was not the case for a fourth cone type with spectral sensitivity between L and M cones, suggesting an explanation for the lack of strong tetrachromacy in heterozygous carriers of color deficiencies...
- Seasonal variations in the color statistics of natural imagesMichael A Webster
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Reno, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Network 18:213-33. 2007..We consider the implications of these changes for models of both visual sensitivity and color appearance...
- Integrating audiovisual information for the control of overt attentionSelim Onat
Institute of Cognitive Science, University of Osnabruck, Germany
J Vis 7:11.1-16. 2007..These results provide guidelines for the performance and architecture of any model of overt attention that deals with more than one modality...
- The number of discernible colors perceived by dichromats in natural scenes and the effects of colored lensesJoão M M Linhares
Department of Physics, Minho University, Campus de Gualtar, Braga, Portugal
Vis Neurosci 25:493-9. 2008....
- Hebbian learning in a model with dynamic rate-coded neurons: an alternative to the generative model approach for learning receptive fields from natural scenesFred H Hamker
Department of Psychology and Otto Creutzfeldt Center for Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience, Westf Wilhelms Universität Münster, 48149 Munster, Germany
Network 18:249-66. 2007..Due to presynaptic inhibition the model predicts the organization of receptive fields within the feedforward pathway, whereas feedback primarily serves to tune early visual processing according to the needs of the task...
- Limits of event-related potential differences in tracking object processing speedGuillaume A Rousselet
Université Toulouse 3
J Cogn Neurosci 19:1241-58. 2007..We conclude that task-dependent ERP differences fail to capture object processing speed, at least for some categories like faces. We discuss models of object processing that might explain our results, as well as alternative approaches...
- Accumulation and persistence of memory for natural scenesDavid Melcher
Department of Psychology, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Vis 6:8-17. 2006..Together these results suggest that our rich phenomenological experience of a detailed scene reflects the maintenance in memory of useful information about previous fixations rather than the limited capacity of VSTM...
- Local figure-ground cues are valid for natural imagesCharless C Fowlkes
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Vis 7:2. 2007..Using parameters fit to natural image statistics, the model is capable of matching human-level performance when scene context limited...
- Artists portray human faces with the Fourier statistics of complex natural scenesChristoph Redies
Institute of Anatomy I, School of Medicine, Friedrich Schiller University, Germany
Network 18:235-48. 2007..Fractal-like statistics have been demonstrated previously in other forms of visual art and may be a general attribute of esthetic visual stimuli...
- Perceptual anisotropies in visual processing and their relation to natural image statisticsBruce C Hansen
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Network 14:501-26. 2003..Results are evaluated in the context of a divisive normalization model...
- Image/source statistics of surfaces in natural scenesZhiyong Yang
Department of Neurobiology, Box 3209, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Network 14:371-90. 2003..The relevance of these statistics to both perception and the neuronal organization of the underlying visual circuitry is discussed...
- Adaptation to stimulus contrast and correlations during natural visual stimulationNicholas A Lesica
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Neuron 55:479-91. 2007..These results reveal a number of adaptive phenomena and suggest that adaptation to stimulus contrast and correlations may play an important role in visual coding in a dynamic natural environment...
- How color enhances visual memory for natural scenesIan Spence
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychol Sci 17:1-6. 2006....
- The clinical thinking of Bion and the art of the Zen garden (Ryoan-ji)Maurizio Bucca
Psychotherapy Unit of Neuroscience, Genetic and Ophthalmologic Department of Genoa University, Italy
J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry 35:659-67. 2007..These concepts can find, in turn, correspondences in the salient characteristics of the rock garden at Kyoto's Ryoan-ji temple...
- Statistics of spatial cone-excitation ratios in natural scenesSérgio M C Nascimento
Department of Physics, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 19:1484-90. 2002..of spectral reflectances, some of which represent individual natural surfaces but not their relative abundances in nature. The aim of this study was to determine whether spatial cone-excitation ratios are preserved under illuminant ..
- Task-set switching with natural scenes: measuring the cost of deploying top-down attentionDirk B Walther
Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA
J Vis 7:9.1-12. 2007..We conclude that deploying top-down attention to a different attribute incurs a significant cost in reaction time, but that biasing to a different feature value within the same stimulus attribute is effortless...
- Contrast gain control in natural scenesPeter J Bex
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Vis 7:12.1-12. 2007..This process tends to normalize the response of the visual system across natural scenes, which contain uneven contrast distributions...
- The Developmental/Health Framework within the McGill Model of Nursing: "laws of nature" guiding whole person careLaurie N Gottlieb
School of Nursing, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
ANS Adv Nurs Sci 30:E43-57. 2007..MMN) provides the foundational knowledge consistent with Nightingale's vision of working with the "laws of nature" to promote health and healing...
- Human life as a foundation for ethical health care decisions: a synthesis of the work of E.D. Pellegrino and W.A. WallaceBeverly J B Whelton
Wheeling Jesuit University, Wheeling, West Virginia, USA
Linacre Q 69:271-88. 2002
- Are cone sensitivities determined by natural color statistics?Alex Lewis
Department of Psychology, University College London, United Kingdom
J Vis 6:285-302. 2006....
- German intellectual history and American romanticism: spirit, nature philosophy, and the occultPatrick Labriola
Yearb Ger Am Stud 37:79-90. 2002
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..They also want to study body tissues and blood to understand the nature of eye disease...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..They also want to study body tissues and blood to understand the nature of eye disease...
- Discovery metabolite profiling of the prolyl peptidasesAlan Saghatelian; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, the application of DMP to peptidases will demonstrate the generality of this approach for the future characterization of medically relevant enzymes and signaling pathways. ..
- Genetic variation and regulatory networks: Mechanisms and complexityDANA PE ER; Fiscal Year: 2009..These tools will be made publicly available, including a friendly graphical user interface and visualization. ..
- Personalized Clinical Diagnostics and Beyond: Integrated Ring Resonator ArraysRyan Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..This technology promises to broadly impact the landscape of the biomedical sciences, both meeting the clinical diagnostic challenges of today and pioneering the paradigm-shifting discoveries of tomorrow. ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardJunying Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2009..No Abstract provided ..
- Novel TIRF microscopy analyzing trafficking & signaling at the cell cortexDerek Toomre; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consistent with the recovery act's goal, this funding will provide full-time summer employment for 4 undergraduate students and accelerate scientific achievement of the parent DP2 award...
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardERICH JARVIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Repairing the pathway in vocal learners, when damaged, would have profound impact for correcting neurological disorders of speech. ..
- Human embryonic stem cell-derived neural crest stem cells and Hirschsprung diseaSean J Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2010..Neurosci</secondary-title;/titles;periodical;full-title>Nat Neurosci</full-title;abbr-1>Nature neuroscience</abbr-1;/periodical;pages>537-44</pages;volume>3</volume;number>6</number;..
- Mapping for Specialized Domains for FCeRI Signaling &InternalizationBridget S Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..new insight specifically into the molecular events that initiate allergic inflammation and more generally into the nature and assembly of membrane microdomains controlling signal transduction and membrane trafficking in immune cells...
- Cardiotrophin-Like Cytokine 1, a Candidate Molecule for the FSGS FactorVirginia J Savin; Fiscal Year: 2010..The nature and the source of this protein are not known...
- PHILIP LEE JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2016..During this time I published a 1st author Nature Medicine article, where the main discovery was that a hypothalamic orexin system plays a critical role panic ..
- Multi-targeted Countermeasures against Acute and Delayed Effects of OP ExposureJohn A Butera; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, currently used agents possess poor ADME properties due to their charged nature. Thus, significant deficiencies in current OP countermeasures include: (1) the requirement for simultaneous multi-..
- Emilio B Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2014..These studies will provide significant information on the nature of the interactions of 22GPI /aPL/a22GPI complexes with target cells in vitro and in vivo and will help to devise ..
- CRF-Oxytocin Interaction in the Regulation of Stress and AffectJoanna Dabrowska; Fiscal Year: 2013..Understanding the nature of the feedback loop between the PVN and the BNST at the functional level would represent a milestone in our ..
- Charles W Wilkinson; Fiscal Year: 2016..We propose to investigate the frequency and specific nature of blast mTBI-related hypopituitarism in OIF/OEF Veterans and to devise a reliable, cost-effective, and efficient ..
- Regulation of B Cell Function by Membrane-Cytoskeletal RemodelingNeetu Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2012..modifications likely define ezrin's ability to provide a tethering or signaling function depending on the nature of the stimulus...
- Non-viral Genetic Modification of Antigen-presenting Cells in AllograftsWilson S Meng; Fiscal Year: 2011..Key milestones of this aim are to determine 1) the nature and scope of the T cell response, and 2) unwanted side effects associated with the ex vivo treatment...
- Enterococcus faecalis, Colorectal Cancer, and Bystander EffectsMark M Huycke; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this project the unusual oxidative nature of a common intestinal bacterium, Enterococcus faecalis, will be tested for its ability to damage DNA in cells ..
- Biology and Pathologies of Type V CollagenDaniel S Greenspan; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Proposed are studies into the nature of collagen V [col(V)] and its roles in human disease: 1) Mice null for the Col5a3 gene, encoding the poorly characterized 13(V) chain, have been produced in the ..
- Vitamin D and Estrogen Action in Bone: Concerted Role for hnRNPs in the C FamilyJohn S Adams; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our investigation of this "experiment of nature" and that of an adolescent human female with a similar phenotype led us to the discovery of a novel means for ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF POLARITYRUTH M STEWARD; Fiscal Year: 2010..To study the nature of the different PDCD2 mRNAs and protein forms we will amplify the transcripts from normal and malignant tissues ..
- CYNTHIA T MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2016..Given nicotine's addictive nature, the underserved socio-economic nature of the patient population, and the constant advertising by tobacco ..
- Samuel D Crish; Fiscal Year: 2016..tract tracing, histology, and quantitative immunochemistry this research enterprise will seek to determine the nature and time course of changes in cytoskeletal proteins within the axon, the enzymes responsible for these changes, ..
- Tobacco Control Research Branch Scientific and Technical Services SupportKOURTNEY MARSHALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..genetics which change the tobacco and tobacco smoke constituents; 10) The epidemiologic, clinical or experimental nature of the smoking relationship with specific diseases or conditions...
- SPEAKER TRAVEL AND SCIENTIFIC SESSION SUPPORT FOR THE TERATOLOGY SOCIETY 50TH Christina Chambers; Fiscal Year: 2011..This meeting exemplifies the unique strength of the Teratology Society,its robust interdisciplinary nature. Healthy pregnancies lead to healthy children and healthy adults...
- Enzymatic Regulation of S-Glutathionylation : Role in Apoptosis and DiseaseJohn J Mieyal; Fiscal Year: 2012..Thus, the inherent chemical nature of L-DOPA as an initiator of oxidative stress and the neuroimaging results of the clinical trial have left the ..
- Melissa A Rosenkranz; Fiscal Year: 2014..She has already demonstrated her ability to execute highly complex and collaborative research projects of this nature, as is evident in her strong publication record...
- Regulation of Airway Mucin Gene Expression by Epigenetic MechanismReen Wu; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, the cell type-specificity and the persistent nature of aberrant mucin secretion in various lung patients, even following recovery, are still unclear...
- Analyzer for Monitoring Personal Environmental Exposure to Fluids and MaterialsMATTHEW CUSACK; Fiscal Year: 2010..The mission of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is "science in pursuit of fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application of that knowledge to extend healthy life and reduce the burdens ..
- John H Postlethwait; Fiscal Year: 2016..Results will contribute to a better understanding of the molecular genetic nature of the vertebrate sex-balance mechanism, and thus contribute to our understanding of possible mechanisms for the ..
- Tissue-specific delivery of probes by control of membrane trafficking of endoprotBlake Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2010..The way that Nature solves this problem is through membrane trafficking;cell impermeable ligands such as the iron-carrying transferrin ..
- Scott J Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2015..Murine models mimic these disease outcomes and reveal that the nature of host response dictates whether a UTI resolves or develops into long-lasting chronic/recurrent UTI...
- Intracellular Phase Diagram Creation Using a Micro-Differential Scanning CalorimeGARY L SOLBREKKEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Currently available machines are macroscopic in nature and do not allow such fine measurement resolution...
- Identification and Analysis of Flavivirus Protease and RNA Helicase InhibitorsRadhakrishnan Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 2009..inhibitors that will be useful for co-crystallization and structure-function studies that could provide valuable insight into the nature of molecular interactions among flavivirus nonstructural proteins in the flavivirus life cycle.
- PHILIPPE ANDRE GALLAY; Fiscal Year: 2014..to DHSM enriched within the HIV membrane, disturbs the integrity of the viral membrane due to its amphipathic nature. In the second aim of this application, we propose to optimize the in vitro potency and in vivo safety of C5A by ..
- Gonadal Steroid Receptors and the Hypothalamo-Pituitary-Adrenal AxisRobert J Handa; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 5 will test the hypothesis that the nature of the ligand bound to ERbeta determines the assembly of co-regulatory factors recruited to target sites on the OT ..
- Glutamate receptor recruitment to new synapses in vivoPHILIP ERIC WASHBOURNE; Fiscal Year: 2013..These cytoskeletal elements then serve two functions: 1) strengthening of the adhesive nature of the synapse and morphological remodeling to generate a spine and 2) recruitment of NMDA type glutamate receptor ..
- Farrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2016..after smoking cessation, suggests the presence of a uniquely persistent antigen or immune response modifier, the nature of which remains entirely undefined, but which promotes maladaptive inflammatory responses...
- Unbiased genome-wide screen to identify genes regulating mucous cell hyperplasiaJeffrey A Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2010..The nature of the genetic and chemical signaling pathways regulating goblet cell activity, will be modeled and candidate ..
- THOMAS STERLING SCANLAN; Fiscal Year: 2014..the biosynthetic origins of T1AM, the mechanisms by which it is transported and delivered to tissues, and the nature and mechanism behind the observed reduction in body weight...
- Gautam Bhave; Fiscal Year: 2016..of sensory neurons with tissue injury and inflammation and garnered high-profile, first author publications in Nature Neuroscience, Neuron, and PNAS. After clinical training, Dr. Bhave joined the lab of Dr...
- SAUL R TZIPORI; Fiscal Year: 2014..Because at this early stage the nature of the candidate vaccine is unknown, nor is the adjuvant required, we are not in a position to form a suitable ..
- Human Beta-Defensin-1 in HSV-1 Innate ImmunityLISA KATHLEEN RYAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since PDC have potential importance in viral infections, it is essential to first understand the nature and mechanism of the viral induction of hBD-1 in PDC before determining its presence in clinical disease in ..
- TIMOTHY L SITA; Fiscal Year: 2016..Due to the aggressive nature of these tumors and our inability to adequately treat them, only 3-5% of patients survive longer than 3 years post-..
- Mechanisms of Heme Transport in MacrophagesCARINE CARINE WHITE; Fiscal Year: 2012..the first eukaryotic heme importer/transporter HRG-1, using the genetic animal model Caenorhabditis elegans (Nature 2008)...
- Brian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2014..The tissues of the subglottis are delicate in nature, easily damaged, and rapidly develop edematous changes, and are predisposed to inflammation, scar formation, and ..
- Edward P Feener; Fiscal Year: 2016..b>Nature Medicine 2007, Appendix 1)...
- Lucy A Waskell; Fiscal Year: 2014..They are ubiquitous, being found in all kingdoms of living organisms and plants and are referred to as Mother Nature's blowtorch, due to their ability to oxidize a vast number of stable chemical entities...
- Characterization of epsilon-sarcoglycan interacting proteins in mouse brainYuqing Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specifically, at molecular level, whether ?-SG forms a complex in the central synapse, if yes, the nature of this complex is not known...
- Christopher D Heaney; Fiscal Year: 2014..into my existing track record of CBPR with livestock workers and household members in NC to study the temporal nature of relationships between livestock exposure, zoonotic pathogen carriage, and symptoms of subclinical colonization ..
- Mechanism(s) of Alcoholic PancreatitisBhupendra S Kaphalia; Fiscal Year: 2011..The economic and social impact of pancreatitis is devastating due to irreversible nature of the disease and related high mortality and co-morbidities including maldigestion, diabetes, and pancreatic ..
- Mucosal Memory T Cells at the Vanguard of Human Host DefenseDonna L Farber; Fiscal Year: 2010..What is required is a better understanding of the nature of the immune response and cellular players at mucosal sites, to design new strategies for boosting immunity for ..
- Transplacental Arsenic Induced Hepatic Dysfunction and Vascular DiseaseJ Christopher States; Fiscal Year: 2010..of lesion formation), assessing arsenic exposure-response of changes in vascular reactivity and characterizing the nature of arterial lesions (lesion cellularity, fibrosis and inflammation) in arsenic exposed mice;2) explore ..
- Tatiana Efimova; Fiscal Year: 2014..Lastly, given the global nature of p384 ablation, p384 may act non cell autonomously, for instance, in the innate immune system, known for its ..
- NEURAL AND ENDOCRINE CONSEQUENCES OF PARITYROBERT STAFFORD BRIDGES; Fiscal Year: 2012..the role of the hypothalamus in neuroendocrine plasticity and significant information regarding the transformative nature of reproductive experience...
- Needle-Implantable, Wireless Multi-Sensor for Continuous Glucose MonitoringSanthisagar Vaddiraju; Fiscal Year: 2010..per day) or microprobe, skin-penetrating devices that need to be replaced every 3-7 days due to their open-wound nature and associated negative tissue responses...
- Development of a Porcine Model of AtherosclerosisChristopher Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although the hypercholesterolemic pig is an attractive model, the mild nature of the mutation, the high variability of the disease and the limited access by other researchers prevents its wide ..
- Effectivenss of a New Non-Invasive Erectile Support System in Aging PopulationsS ALEXANDER WEINSTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2012..The low projected cost ($5.00) and 'instant use when needed', non- invasive, nature of the new 'I-Rect"'device-system should help make it a commercial success...
- CT Evaluation of the Myocardial Effects of Risk FactorsLilach O Lerman; Fiscal Year: 2013..would facilitate development of strategies for monitoring and management of target organ injury in MetS, but the nature and mechanisms of the cardiac effects of MetS have not been fully elucidated...
- Mechanisms Regulating Reduced c-Kit-Dependent EAE Susceptibility in Male SJL MiceMELISSA ANN BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2013..MS is considered to be autoimmune in nature and myelin-specific CD4+ Th1 and Th17 cells are major orchestrators of the CNS inflammation...
- Salivary-based Bone-loss Marker Detection Platform for Point-of-Care ScreeningMANAL BESHAY; Fiscal Year: 2012..urine, however, recent attention has focused on salivary diagnostics because of their convenient and non-invasive nature of sampling...
- Fate of Lung Stem Cells During Pulmonary DiseaseSusan M Majka; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specific Aim 1) Their stem cell nature was demonstrated by our ability to repeatedly isolate them from lung tissue, maintain them in cell culture for a ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardKarl Deisseroth; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Bioconductor: an open computing resource for genomicsMartin Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2010..In particular we emphasize a design strategy that accommodates the imperfect, yet evolving nature of biological knowledge and the relatively rapid development of new experimental technologies...
- PAIRING OF HOMOLOGOUS SEQUENCES IN DROSOPHILAKENT GOLIC; Fiscal Year: 2002..is to use FLP-mediated DNA mobilization - a technique pioneered in the Golic lab - as a test system to explore the nature of homologous chromosome pairing in mitotic cells...
- Investigations of the role of house flies as vectors for bacterial pathogensDana Nayduch; Fiscal Year: 2009..feed and breed on feces and other septic substrates. Due to their synanthropic nature and indiscriminate feeding habits, house flies are involved in the epidemiology of >65 diseases that affect ..
- Integrated MRI-Based Examination for Evaluation of Peripheral Arterial DiseaseFelix W Wehrli; Fiscal Year: 2010..The disease is typically caused by atherosclerosis and thus is systemic in nature. PAD's clinical manifestations are caused by stenosing of the major arteries supplying the lower extremities (..
- Treatment Implications of Trauma Memory Modulation for PTSD & Alcohol DependenceMichael E Saladin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Several perspectives on the nature of the relationship between these disorders have been forwarded and one of the most widely recognized ..
- Etiology of breast development in the BCERC network: role of socioeconomic statusDEJANA K BRAITHWAITE; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our specific aims are to determine the nature and strength of the association between a wide array of SES indicators and pubertal onset (AIM 1) and whether ..
- Mechanisms Underlying Social Cooperative BehaviorLUKE JOSEPH CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Understanding the nature of social cooperative behavior has received considerable attention over the past few decades spanning multiple domains of inquiry...
- VIRAL PROTEINS IN ROTAVIRUS REPLICATIONJohn Patton; Fiscal Year: 1991..The genome of these viruses consists of eleven segments of double-stranded RNA (dsRNA). The segmented nature of the genome allows different strains of the rotaviruses to undergo reassortment in nature producing new unique ..
- Stimuli Responsive Topical Gels for Mechanically Assisted Wound DebridementAristidis Veves; Fiscal Year: 2010..5 million debridement procedures are conducted per year in the USA alone, the majority of them being surgical in nature, this is an area of high medical concern...
- Therapeutic Evaluation of Magnetic Nanoprobes Specific for Malignant Tumor MarkerRheal A Towner; Fiscal Year: 2010..these IO nanoprobes to detect malignant tumor markers such as c-MET, over-expressed in tumors that are invasive in nature, and VEGF-R2, which is associated with angiogenesis in malignant tumors, in an experimental C6 rat glioma model...
- Somatosensory feedback controlling a neuroprosthesisDouglas J Weber; Fiscal Year: 2010..The neuroscience objective is to further knowledge of the role and nature of somatosensory feedback in multi-joint limb control...
- Protein Stabilization in Ionic LiquidsGloria Elliott; Fiscal Year: 2009..fluorinated anions, ILs can also be formulated from salts, sugars, amino acids, and biomolecules that exist in nature - many of which have already been approved as excipients...
- THE CLONAL NATURE OF CYTOTOXIGENIC E. COLITHOMAS WHITTAM; Fiscal Year: 1991..The proposed program extends ongoing research on the clonal nature of populations of cytotoxigenic E...
- THE CLONAL NATURE OF CYTOTOXIGENIC E. COLITHOMAS WHITTAM; Fiscal Year: 1992..The proposed program extends ongoing research on the clonal nature of populations of cytotoxigenic E...
- Juliana V Baldo; Fiscal Year: 2014..stemming from exposure to blasts or other accidents do not get properly evaluated and treated, due to the subtle nature of their injuries...