Genomes and Genes
Summary: The science which treats of the functions of the living organism and its parts, and of the physical and chemical factors and processes involved. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- PhysioBank, PhysioToolkit, and PhysioNet: components of a new research resource for complex physiologic signalsA L Goldberger
Margret and H A Rey Laboratory for Nonlinear Dynamics in Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Circulation 101:E215-20. 2000..physionet. org), PhysioNet offers services and training via on-line tutorials to assist users with varying levels of expertise...
- The 85-kD cytosolic phospholipase A2 knockout mouse: a new tool for physiology and cell biologyJ V Bonventre
Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown 02129, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 10:404-12. 1999
- Robin Fåhraeus: evolution of his concepts in cardiovascular physiologyH L Goldsmith
McGill University Medical Clinic, Montreal General Hospital Research Institute, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol 257:H1005-15. 1989..the years 1917-1938, his contribution to our understanding of blood rheology, and its relevance to circulatory physiology. Fåhraeus published few original papers on this subject, yet he clearly understood the phenomena occurring in ..
- Mouse MRI: concepts and applications in physiologyRobia G Pautler
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Physiology (Bethesda) 19:168-75. 2004....
- Teaching cardiovascular physiology with equivalent electronic circuits in a practically oriented teaching moduleSamo Ribaric
Institute of Pathophysiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Adv Physiol Educ 35:149-60. 2011Here, we report on a new tool for teaching cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology that promotes qualitative as well as quantitative thinking about time-dependent physiological phenomena...
- Amphibians as animal models for laboratory research in physiologyWarren W Burggren
Department of Biological Sciences, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas 76203 5220, USA
ILAR J 48:260-9. 2007..As animal models, amphibians offer several advantages that include a well-understood basic physiology, a taxonomic diversity well suited to comparative studies, tolerance to temperature and oxygen variation, and a ..
- Three-dimensional printing physiology laboratory technologyMatthew S Sulkin
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Washington University in Saint Louis, Saint Louis, Missouri
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 305:H1569-73. 2013Since its inception in 19th-century Germany, the physiology laboratory has been a complex and expensive research enterprise involving experts in various fields of science and engineering...
- Human physiology in spaceJ Vernikos
National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Headquarters, Washington, DC 20546 0001, USA
Bioessays 18:1029-37. 1996..of gravity (1 g) in our daily lives makes it difficult to appreciate its importance in morphology and physiology. Bone and muscle support systems were created, cellular pumps developed, neurons organised and receptors and ..
- Successful implementation of inquiry-based physiology laboratories in undergraduate major and nonmajor coursesG Casotti
Department of Biology, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, West Chester, PA 19383, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 32:286-96. 2008Recent evidence has demonstrated that inquiry-based physiology laboratories improve students' critical- and analytical-thinking skills...
- Applications of fractal analysis to physiologyR W Glenny
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
J Appl Physiol (1985) 70:2351-67. 1991..of physiological data are still under development and will require additional validation, they appear to have great potential for the study of physiology at scales of resolution ranging from the microcirculation to the intact organism.
- Expanding the traditional physiology class with asynchronous online discussions and collaborative projectsSuncana Kukolja Taradi
Department of Physiology and Immunology, University of Zagreb Medical School, 10 000 Zagreb, Salata 3, Croatia
Adv Physiol Educ 28:73-8. 2004..online forum to expand student-teacher discussions beyond the time/place constraints of the physical physiology classroom...
- Use of unsupervised online quizzes as formative assessment in a medical physiology course: effects of incentives on student participation and performanceJonathan Kibble
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, St George s University, Grenada, West Indies
Adv Physiol Educ 31:253-60. 2007Online quizzes were introduced into a large Medical Physiology class to provide students with formative assessment before midterm and final summative examinations...
- How to help students understand physiology? Emphasize general modelsH I Modell
National Resource for Computers in Life Science Education, Seattle, Washington 98115, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 23:101-7. 2000Students generally approach topics in physiology as a series of unrelated phenomena that share few underlying principles...
- Susruta of India, an unrecognized contributor to the history of exercise physiologyCharles M Tipton
Dept of Physiology, Univ of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85704, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:1553-6. 2008When considering the history of exercise physiology, authors begin with Hippocrates and the "Golden Age" of Greece before mentioning Galen and the contributions from Rome...
- Physiology teaching and learning experience in a new modular curriculum at the National University of RwandaJean Bosco Gahutu
Service of Physiology, Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Rwanda, Huye, Rwanda
Adv Physiol Educ 34:11-4. 2010In the present article, I report on my experience in teaching and learning physiology in the first year of a new modular curriculum at the Faculty of Medicine of the National University of Rwanda...
- Understanding protein synthesis: a role-play approach in large undergraduate human anatomy and physiology classesDiana Sturges
Departments of Health and Kinesiology, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 33:103-10. 2009..The targeted population consisted of 298 students enrolled in 2 sections of an undergraduate Human Anatomy and Physiology course taught by the same instructor...
- In pursuit of a holistic learning environment: the impact of music in the medical physiology classroomHarold I Modell
Physiology Educational Research Consortium, Seattle, WA 98115 1187, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 33:37-45. 2009..This communication presents one approach to meeting this challenge in a medical school Human Physiology course...
- Online anatomy and physiology: piloting the use of an anatomy and physiology e-book-VLE hybrid in pre-registration and post-qualifying nursing programmes at the University of SalfordMichael Raynor
Nursing, Information Services Division, University of Salford, Salford, UK
Health Info Libr J 25:98-105. 2008Anatomy and physiology (A&P) teaching and learning in nursing curricula poses problems for educators because of the often varying levels of students' background knowledge...
- Isolation and culture of bovine oviductal epithelial cells for use in the anatomy and physiology laboratory and undergraduate researchAmy L Way
Lock Haven Univ of Pennsylvania, Clearfield Campus, 201 University Dr, Clearfield, PA 16830, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 30:237-41. 2006..The ease with which the tissue can be collected and cells isolated makes the oviductal epithelium ideal for use in both the teaching laboratory and research projects in which undergraduates serve as investigators...
- Effect of uniform versus expanding retrieval practice on the recall of physiology informationJohn L Dobson
Department of Health and Kinesiology, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 36:6-12. 2012The purpose of this study was to compare the retention of selected physiology concepts throughout 30 days of two different uniform schedules of retrieval and two different expanding schedules of retrieval...
- Active physiology learning in a diverse class: an analysis of medical student responses in terms of sex, home language, and self-reported test performanceSusan B Higgins-Opitz
Discipline of Physiology, School of Laboratory Medicine and Medical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Adv Physiol Educ 36:116-24. 2012..These factors pose both challenges and opportunities for teachers of physiology. Student presentations were incorporated for a number of years into the traditional didactic second-year medical ..
- Showercap Mindmap: a spatial activity for learning physiology terminology and locationThea Vanags
Centre for Applied Psychology, Faculty of Health, University of Canberra, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Adv Physiol Educ 36:125-30. 2012Students struggle with the volume and complexity of physiology terminology...
- The effect of active learning on student characteristics in a human physiology course for nonmajorsR Russell Wilke
Biology Department, Angelo State University, ASU Station, San Angelo, Texas 76909, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 27:207-23. 2003..effect of active-learning strategies on college students' achievement, motivation, and self-efficacy in a human physiology course for nonmajors...
- Replacing animal use in physiology and pharmacology teaching in selected universities in Eastern Europe--charting a way forwardDavid G Dewhurst
Learning Technology Section, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Altern Lab Anim 39:15-22. 2011..There was a consensus view that developing local language exemplars and evaluating their usefulness was likely to have the greatest impact on animal use, at least in the short-term...
- Translational physiology: from molecules to public healthDouglas R Seals
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
J Physiol 591:3457-69. 2013..It is a dynamic, multidisciplinary research approach. The concept of translational physiology applies the translational research model to the physiological sciences...
- Voluntary participation in an active learning exercise leads to a better understanding of physiologyHelena Carvalho
Department of Basic Science, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute, Roanoke, VA 24016 4950, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 35:53-8. 2011Students learn best when they are focused and thinking about the subject at hand. To teach physiology, we must offer opportunities for students to actively participate in class...
- Clinically oriented physiology teaching: strategy for developing critical-thinking skills in undergraduate medical studentsReem Rachel Abraham
Dept of Physiology, Melaka Manipal Medical College Manipal Campus, International Centre for Health Sciences, Manipal 576 104, Karnataka, India
Adv Physiol Educ 28:102-4. 2004..COPT (clinically oriented physiology teaching) was incorporated in physiology instruction aiming to relate the study of physiology to real-life ..
- Computer-based alternatives to using animals in teaching physiology and pharmacology to undergraduate studentsDavid Dewhurst
Learning Technology Section, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Hugh Robson Link Building, 15 George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, UK
Altern Lab Anim 32:517-20. 2004..of animals used for undergraduate education are for laboratory practical classes (wet labs) in pharmacology and physiology. Computer simulations, which are now widely available at relatively low cost, can provide a dry lab experience ..
- The impact of introducing computer-based alternatives to the use of animals in the teaching of physiology and pharmacology at Balkan universities - a pilot studyZvezdana Z Kojic
Institute of Medical Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Visegradska 26, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Altern Lab Anim 37:547-56. 2009Balkan universities use a substantial number of small mammals and amphibians in the teaching of physiology and pharmacology...
- Medical physiology and experimentation: reconsidering the undergraduate examination structureStylianos Tsakiris
Department of Experimental Physiology, Medical School, University of Athens, PO Box 65257, Athens GR 15401, Greece
Adv Physiol Educ 30:94-5. 2006
- A graphical simulation software for instruction in cardiovascular mechanics physiologyReto A Wildhaber
Institute of Physiology and Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology ZIHP, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Biomed Eng Online 10:8. 2011Computer supported, interactive e-learning systems are widely used in the teaching of physiology. However, the currently available complimentary software tools in the field of the physiology of cardiovascular mechanics have not yet been ..
- Scientific contributions of A. V. Hill: exercise physiology pioneerDavid R Bassett
Department of Exercise Science and Sport Management, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 93:1567-82. 2002..between aerobic and anaerobic metabolism, Hill and Meyerhof were jointly awarded the 1922 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine...
- Engineering imaging: using particle image velocimetry to see physiology in a new lightAndreas Fouras
Division of Biological Engineering, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:238-47. 2009..4. The case studies highlight the vast potential of applying the engineering technique of particle image velocimetry and its many variants to current research problems in physiology.
- 'Integrative Physiology 2.0': integration of systems biology into physiology and its application to cardiovascular homeostasisDiederik W D Kuster
Experimental Cardiology, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Physiol 589:1037-45. 2011..We therefore advocate that systems biology should not become/stay a separate discipline with '-omics' as its playing field, but should be integrated into physiology to create 'Integrative Physiology 2.0'.
- Multiscale entropy analysis of complex physiologic time seriesMadalena Costa
Cardiovascular Division, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Phys Rev Lett 89:068102. 2002..We find that MSE robustly separates healthy and pathologic groups and consistently yields higher values for simulated long-range correlated noise compared to uncorrelated noise...
- Ilya Ilich Metchnikoff (1845-1915) and Paul Ehrlich (1854-1915): the centennial of the 1908 Nobel Prize in Physiology or MedicineFrank C Schmalstieg
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galvseton, Texas 77555 0369, USA
J Med Biogr 16:96-103. 2008Ilya Metchnikoff and Paul Ehrlich shared the 1908 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine - Metchnikoff for discovering the major types and functions of phagocytes and Ehrlich for discovering the types of blood leukocytes, helping to ..
- Formative assessment in physiology teaching using a wireless classroom communication systemCynthia B Paschal
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University School of Engineering, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37235 1631, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 26:299-308. 2002Systems physiology, studied by biomedical engineers, is an analytical way to approach the homeostatic foundations of basic physiology...
- High throughput gene expression profiling: a molecular approach to integrative physiologyMingyu Liang
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Physiol 554:22-30. 2004Integrative physiology emphasizes the importance of understanding multiple pathways with overlapping, complementary, or opposing effects and their interactions in the context of intact organisms...
- Crosswords as a learning tool in Anatomy & Physiology teachingPremkumar Kalyani
Med Teach 29:513. 2007
- Using radiology to teach physiologyJohn W Nay
Department of Radiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 8:117-23. 2011Radiology is well poised to play an important role in the teaching of physiology, one of the core disciplines of medicine...
- Flux estimation using isotopic tracers: common ground for metabolic physiology and metabolic engineeringJ K Kelleher
Department of Physiology, George Washington University Medical Center, 2300 Eye Street NW, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Metab Eng 3:100-10. 2001..Physiologists, entering into a dialog with engineers, may see more clearly the potential of comprehensive models and revisit the impediments to a more complete analysis of human metabolic systems...
- From genes to whole organs: connecting biochemistry to physiologyD Noble
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, UK
Novartis Found Symp 239:111-23; discussion 123-8, 150-9. 2001..Complexity in biological systems also arises from tissue and organ geometry. This is illustrated using modelling of the whole heart...
- The physiology of extremes: Ancel Keys and the International High Altitude Expedition of 1935Sarah W Tracy
University of Oklahoma, College of Medicine, OK, USA
Bull Hist Med 86:627-60. 2012..Both the expedition and Keys's story afford excellent opportunities to explore the growing reach of interwar physiology into extreme climates-whether built or natural...
- A trial of the objective structured practical examination in physiology at Melaka Manipal Medical College, IndiaReem Rachel Abraham
Department of Physiology, Melaka Manipal Medical College Manipal Campus, Manipal, Karnataka, India
Adv Physiol Educ 33:21-3. 2009..the objective structured practical examination (OSPE) as a method of assessment of laboratory exercises in physiology before implementing it in the forthcoming university examination...
- The Atlas of Physiology and Pathophysiology: Web-based multimedia enabled interactive simulationsJiri Kofranek
Charles University in Prague, First Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathological Physiology, U nemocnice 5, 128 53 Praha 2, Czech Republic
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 104:143-53. 2011The paper is a presentation of the current state of development for the Atlas of Physiology and Pathophysiology (Atlas)...
- On making nursing undergraduate human reproductive physiology content meaningful and relevant: discussion of human pleasure in its biological contextLeon Mendel McClusky
Faculty of Health and Society, Narvik University College, Lodve Langesgate 2, Narvik 8505, Norway
Nurse Educ Today 32:101-4. 2012The traditional presentation of the Reproductive Physiology component in an Anatomy and Physiology course to nursing undergraduates focuses on the broad aspects of hormonal regulation of reproduction and gonadal anatomy, with the role of ..
- Giant sucking sound: can physiology fill the intellectual void left by the reductionists?Michael J Joyner
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 111:335-42. 2011..In this context, physiology is uniquely positioned to continue to provide impressive levels of both biological and therapeutic insight by ..
- Teaching first-year medical students physiology: does the human patient simulator allow for more effective teaching?G M Tan
Department of Anaesthesia, National University Hospital, Singapore
Singapore Med J 43:238-42. 2002..HPS) is an effective teaching tool in many medical fields, literature supporting its use in the teaching of physiology to medical students is lacking...
- Synchronization and rhythmic processes in physiologyL Glass
Department of Physiology, Centre for Nonlinear Dynamics in Physiology and Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Nature 410:277-84. 2001....
- Conservation physiologyMartin Wikelski
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Trends Ecol Evol 21:38-46. 2006..Here, we review the emerging discipline of conservation physiology and suggest that, for conservation strategies to be successful, it is important to understand the physiological ..
- Process-oriented guided-inquiry learning in an introductory anatomy and physiology course with a diverse student populationPatrick J P Brown
Department of Biology, King College, Bristol, Tennessee 37620, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 34:150-5. 2010..initially developed for college chemistry courses, has been implemented for 2 yr in a freshman-level anatomy and physiology course at a small private college...
- The zebrafish: a new model organism for integrative physiologyJosephine P Briggs
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2560, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282:R3-9. 2002..features of the zebrafish, Danio rerio, that make it a suitable model organism for studies of regulatory physiology. The review presents the argument that random mutagenesis screens are a valuable gene-finding strategy to ..
- A blended approach to active learning in a physiology laboratory-based subject facilitated by an e-learning componentArianne M Dantas
Department of Physiology, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Adv Physiol Educ 32:65-75. 2008..teaching to encourage more effective student preparation and then informed participation in an undergraduate physiology laboratory-based course...
- Volitional control of movement: the physiology of free willMark Hallett
Human Motor Control Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, Building 10, Room 5N226, 10 Center Dr MSC 1428, Bethesda, MD 20892 1428, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 118:1179-92. 2007This review deals with the physiology of the initiation of a voluntary movement and the appreciation of whether it is voluntary or not...
- The nuclear receptor superfamily: a rosetta stone for physiologyRonald M Evans
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Mol Endocrinol 19:1429-38. 2005
- Advances in biological structure, function, and physiology using synchrotron X-ray imaging*Mark W Westneat
Department of Zoology, Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, IL 60605, USA
Annu Rev Physiol 70:119-42. 2008Studies of the physiology and biomechanics of small ( approximately 1 cm) organisms are often limited by the inability to see inside the animal during a behavior or process of interest and by a lack of three-dimensional morphology at the ..
- Integrating an open-source course management system (Moodle) into the teaching of a first-year medical physiology course: a case studyKumar Seluakumaran
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Adv Physiol Educ 35:369-77. 2011..learning environment (Moodle) to construct an online site (DPhysiol) to facilitate our face-to-face teaching of physiology to a group of first-year students in the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery program...
- Nature vs. nurture: can exercise really alter fiber type composition in human skeletal muscle?Christopher P Ingalls
J Appl Physiol 97:1591-2. 2004
- It's difficult to change the way we teach: lessons from the Integrative Themes in Physiology curriculum module projectDee U Silverthorn
Department of Integrative Biology, University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 30:204-14. 2006The Integrative Themes in Physiology (ITIP) project was a National Science Foundation-funded collaboration between the American Physiological Society (APS) and the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS)...
- Articulating scientific reasoning improves student learning in an undergraduate anatomy and physiology courseJohanna Krontiris-Litowitz
Department of Biological Sciences, Youngstown State University, Youngstown, OH 44555, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 8:309-15. 2009..Learning was assessed using multiple-choice exam questions based upon quiz topics. Students scored significantly higher on exam questions associated with justify/explain quiz topics than on those associated with short-answer quiz topics...
- Role of C-peptide in human physiologyJ Wahren
Department of Surgical Sciences, Section of Clinical Physiology, Karolinska Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 278:E759-68. 2000..The possibility exists that C-peptide replacement, together with insulin administration, may prevent the development or retard the progression of long-term complications in type 1 diabetes...
- Integrating recent advances in neuroscience into undergraduate neuroscience and physiology coursesCorey L Cleland
Department of Biology, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 26:271-7. 2002..Consequently, it is often important to supplement neuroscience and physiology textbooks with information about recent findings in neuroscience...
- Project labs in physiologyA P Woodhull-McNeal
School of Natural Science, Hampshire College, Amherst, Massachusetts 01002
Am J Physiol 263:S29-32. 1992Projects in which students design and carry out their own experiments can be a basis for physiology laboratories. A sequence of such projects is described and evaluated informally...
- Fractals in physiology and medicineA L Goldberger
Cardiovascular Division, Beth Israel Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215
Yale J Biol Med 60:421-35. 1987..Alterations in fractal scaling may underlie a number of pathophysiological disturbances, including sudden cardiac death syndromes...
- Evaluation of physiology lectures conducted by students: comparison between evaluation by staff and studentsMahinda Kommalage
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ruhuna, Galle, Sri Lanka
Adv Physiol Educ 35:48-52. 2011As a peer-assisted learning process, minilectures on physiology were conducted by students. During this process, students lecture to their colleagues in the presence of faculty staff members...
- The positive impact of team-based virtual microscopy on student learning in physiology and histologyHarry R Goldberg
The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 31:261-5. 2007Team-based virtual microscopy and on-line learning were used to transform the first-year Physiology/Histology course at The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine into a student-centered learning environment...
- Teaching insect retinal physiology with newly designed, inexpensive micromanipulatorsJacob Krans
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 30:254-61. 2006..The manipulators are designed to serve undergraduate teaching exercises in physiology. An electroretinogram exercise is suggested in adult house flies (Musca) or flesh flies (Neobellieria)...
- Student perspectives of assessment by TEMM model in physiologyReem Rachel Abraham
Department of Physiology, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Manipal Campus, International Centre for Health Sciences, Manipal, Karnataka, India
Adv Physiol Educ 29:94-7. 2005....
- The making of a physician-scientist--the process has a pattern: lessons from the lives of Nobel laureates in medicine and physiologyStephen L Archer
Department of Medicine Cardiology and the Vascular Biology Group, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Eur Heart J 28:510-4. 2007..To this end, life lessons from five groups of Nobel laureates in medicine and physiology have been distilled, revealing the essence of the practices and philosophies that allowed these 'ordinary' ..
- An investigative laboratory course in human physiology using computer technology and collaborative writingKathleen A FitzPatrick
Department of Biology and Allied Health, Merrimack College, 315 Turnpike Street, North Andover, MA 01845, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 28:112-9. 2004..This study describes four years of implementation and assessment of an investigative laboratory course in human physiology for 65 second-year students in sports medicine and biology at a small private comprehensive college...
- Quantitative Circulatory Physiology: an integrative mathematical model of human physiology for medical educationSean R Abram
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216 4505, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 31:202-10. 2007We have developed Quantitative Circulatory Physiology (QCP), a mathematical model of integrative human physiology containing over 4,000 variables of biological interactions...
- Integrated data acquisition system for medical device testing and physiology research in compliance with good laboratory practicesSteven C Koenig
Jewish Hospital Cardiothoracic Surgical Research Institute, University of Louisville, 500 South Floyd St, Room 118, Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Biomed Instrum Technol 38:229-40. 2004..The process of developing integrated DAQ systems, SOP, and the validation and certification methods used to ensure GLP compliance are presented in this article...
- Problem-based writing with peer review improves academic performance in physiologyNancy J Pelaez
Department of Biological Science, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, California State University, Fullerton, Fullerton, California 92834, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 26:174-84. 2002..determine whether problem-based writing with peer review (PW-PR) improves undergraduate student performance on physiology exams...
- Learning style preferences and course performance in an undergraduate physiology classJohn L Dobson
Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 33:308-14. 2009..to investigate the relationship between preferred learning style, gender, and course scores in an undergraduate physiology class...
- Learning approaches of undergraduate medical students to physiology in a non-PBL- and partially PBL-oriented curriculumR R Abraham
Department of Physiology, Melaka Manipal Medical College Manipal Campus, Karnataka, India
Adv Physiol Educ 32:35-7. 2008..The present study was undertaken to study the differences in learning approaches to physiology of undergraduate medical students in a partially problem-based learning (PBL)- and non-PBL-oriented curriculum...
- Advances in the application of imaging methods in applied and clinical physiologyR Ross
School of Physical and Health Education, Department of Medicine, Queen s University, K7L 3N6, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Acta Diabetol 40:S45-50. 2003..These recent advances in the use of CT and MRI in body composition research are discussed with a focus on clinical applications...
- A strategy for integrative computational physiologyPeter Hunter
Bioengineering Institute, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Physiology (Bethesda) 20:316-25. 2005..A quantitative modeling framework that can deal with these multiscale issues is described here under the banner of the International Union of Physiological Sciences Physiome Project...
- Blending problem-based learning with Web technology positively impacts student learning outcomes in acid-base physiologySuncana Kukolja Taradi
Department of Physiology and Immunology, University of Zagreb Medical School, Zagreb, Croatia
Adv Physiol Educ 29:35-9. 2005..To provide educational services for an undergraduate second-year elective course in acid-base physiology, a rich, student-centered educational Web-environment designed to support PBL was created by using Web Course ..
- Cardiac magnetic resonance spectroscopy: a window for studying physiologyMichael Horn
Center for Bio Imaging, Sahlgrenska Academy, Gothenburg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Methods Mol Med 124:225-48. 2006..Although the primary motivation is to gain an understanding of metabolism using animal models, a potential for diagnostic applications in humans certainly exists...
- From inverse problems in mathematical physiology to quantitative differential diagnosesSven Zenker
Center for Inflammation and Regenerative Modeling, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 3:e204. 2007..g., fluid challenge). We conclude that the ill-posedness of the inverse problem in quantitative physiology is not merely a technical obstacle, but rather reflects clinical reality and, when addressed adequately in the ..
- Claude Bernard, the first systems biologist, and the future of physiologyDenis Noble
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
Exp Physiol 93:16-26. 2008..The principles outlined are illustrated with examples from various aspects of physiology and biochemistry. Applying and developing these principles should form a major part of the future of physiology.
- History of developments in sport and exercise physiology: A. V. Hill, maximal oxygen uptake, and oxygen debtTudor Hale
Sports Sciences, University of Chichester, Chichester, UK
J Sports Sci 26:365-400. 2008..have been instrumental in the development of the scientific study of exercise, and more particularly sports, physiology. Those who have had the pleasure of reading the American Physiological Society's publication Exercise Physiology ..
- Endocrine physiology in a patient-centered learning curriculumR C Vari
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics and Office of Medical Education, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 25:241-8. 2001..The number of lecture hours in general has been greatly reduced, and, in particular, lecture hours in physiology have been reduced by 65%...
- Active learning of respiratory physiology improves performance on respiratory physiology examinationsS P Rao
Department of Physiology, Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 25:127-33. 2001..To address this concern, we compared the performance of two individual classes on an identical respiratory physiology examination. One class was taught respiratory physiology using active-learning strategies...
- Rat genetics: attaching physiology and pharmacology to the genomeHoward J Jacob
Department of Physiology, Human and Molecular Genetics Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Nat Rev Genet 3:33-42. 2002..Most importantly, this combined physiological and genomic information should also lead to the development of better pre-clinical models of human disease, which will aid in the development of new therapeutics...
- Learning approaches to physiology of undergraduates in an Indian medical schoolReem R Abraham
Department of Physiology, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, India
Med Educ 40:916-23. 2006..changes in medical students' approaches to learning before and after the incorporation of clinically orientated physiology teaching (COPT) in the undergraduate physiology curriculum, using the Short Inventory of Approaches to Learning (..
- Sir Humphry Davy; his researches in respiratory physiology and his debt to Antoine LavoisierJ S Sprigge
Consultant Anaesthetist, Department of Anaesthesia, Arrowe Park Hospital, Upton, Wirral CH49 5PE, UK
Anaesthesia 57:357-64. 2002..He made these observations with a gasometer and analysis of his expired air, and his work anticipates the invention of blood gas analysis...
- Pedagogical effectiveness of innovative teaching methods initiated at the Department of Physiology, Government Medical College, ChandigarhK Sri Nageswari
Department of Physiology, Government Medical College, 1119 Gov t Medical College Quarters, Sector 32 B, Chandigarh 160014, India
Adv Physiol Educ 28:51-8. 2004..quot;..
- The first nobel prize for integrated systems physiology: Ivan Petrovich Pavlov, 1904Jackie D Wood
College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Physiology (Bethesda) 19:326-30. 2004
- Current topics for teaching skeletal muscle physiologySusan V Brooks
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology and Institute of Gerontology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 27:171-82. 2003..The goal of this article is to update current concepts of skeletal muscle physiology. Particular emphasis is placed on mechanisms of injury, repair, and adaptation in skeletal muscle as well as ..
- Multi-scale computational modelling in biology and physiologyJames Southern
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Ltd, Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex UB4 8FE, UK
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 96:60-89. 2008..We outline how we envisage these developments occurring...
- Knowledge loss of medical students on first year basic science courses at the University of SaskatchewanMarcel F D'Eon
Educational Support and Development, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, B103 Health Sciences Building, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N 5E5, Canada
BMC Med Educ 6:5. 2006..It was expected that some courses would show more and some courses would show less knowledge loss...
- Application of microarray technology in environmental and comparative physiologyAndrew Y Gracey
Laboratory for Environmental Gene Regulation, School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3BX, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Physiol 65:231-59. 2003..In this review, we show that microarray technology can be successfully applied to these nonmodel species and used to generate new insights of comparative and evolutionary significance into animal function...
- Demand for interdisciplinary laboratories for physiology research by undergraduate students in biosciences and biomedical engineeringKari L Clase
Department of Industrial Technology and Bindley Bioscience Center, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 32:256-60. 2008b>Physiology as a discipline is uniquely positioned to engage undergraduate students in interdisciplinary research in response to the 2006-2011 National Science Foundation Strategic Plan call for innovative transformational research, which ..
- Learning styles of physiology students interested in the health professionsJENNIFER BRECKLER
Department of Biology, San Francisco State University, 1600 Holloway Ave, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 33:30-6. 2009..In our study, we determined the learning preferences of upper-division students in a human physiology course during a 2-yr period at a public undergraduate institution in California...
- What makes physiology hard for students to learn? Results of a faculty surveyJoel Michael
Department of Molecular Biophysics and Physiology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 31:34-40. 2007Teachers of physiology at all postsecondary levels were asked to participate in a survey about the possible sources of students' difficulty in learning physiology...
- IT-based activity in physiology education: an experience from a developing countryMahinda Kommalage
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ruhuna, Galle, Sri Lanka
Adv Physiol Educ 32:81-5. 2008..In this study, an IT-based assignment was carried out in physiology for undergraduates in Sri Lanka...
- Teaching pulmonary gas exchange physiology using computer modelingKent S Kapitan
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Springfield, Illinois 62794 9636, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 32:61-4. 2008..The use of a computer to vary the many interacting factors involved in the arterial blood gas composition appeals to today's students and demonstrates the importance of basic physiology to the actual practice of medicine.
- Comparative evaluation of active learning and the traditional lectures in physiology: a case study of 200 level medical laboratory students of Imo State Unversity, OwerriU S B Anyaehie
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria
Niger J Physiol Sci 22:117-21. 2007Currently, understanding of physiology and disease patterns is undergoing a fundamental paradigm shift with attendant shift in education of health professionals worldwide towards active learning to encourage exploration of connections and ..
- Physiology: freaks of nature?Helen Pearson
Nature 444:1000-1. 2006
- Discovery metabolite profiling of the prolyl peptidasesAlan Saghatelian; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, the application of DMP to peptidases will demonstrate the generality of this approach for the future characterization of medically relevant enzymes and signaling pathways. ..
- Genetic variation and regulatory networks: Mechanisms and complexityDANA PE ER; Fiscal Year: 2009..These tools will be made publicly available, including a friendly graphical user interface and visualization. ..
- The Primate Corpus Luteum: Functional Regression and Cardiovascular ImpactsRandy L Bogan; Fiscal Year: 2012..keeping with the candidate's long term career goal of becoming an independent investigator in reproductive physiology to help improve the reproductive health of humans, the candidate has identified three immediate areas where ..
- Role of the Y-Located TSPY Gene in Human OncogenesisYun Fai Chris Lau; Fiscal Year: 2013..We show that these two sex chromosome genes can affect testosterone (male-hormone) associated physiology, again in opposing directions...
- Hypothalamic Orexin Role in Menopause-Associated Hot Flashes and Mood/Sleep DisruPHILIP LEE JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..This training was collectively focused on whole animal physiology and behavior, combined with in vivo neurochemistry measures using microdialysis;stereotaxic delivery of ..
- Regulation of thyroid hormone levels by central and peripheral pathwaysKRISTEN RACHEL VELLA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Metabolism and Diabetes at the BIDMC makes the Division an ideal site for training scientists in molecular physiology and metabolism...
- Structure and function of urea transportersMing Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..These results indicate that UT plays an important role in kidney physiology and in regulating blood pressure...
- The influence of air pollution mixtures on biomarkers of airway oxidative stressRoby Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr. Greenwald will also enroll in physiology and biochemistry courses examining the molecular and cellular mechanics of the respiratory response to inhaled ..
- Lung Lysyl Oxidase Regulation by Metal Ion HomeostasisWande Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, LO as an intra- and extracellular effector plays a critical role in human physiology and pathology...
- Enterococcus faecalis, Colorectal Cancer, and Bystander EffectsMark M Huycke; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this grant we link the oxidative physiology of this common intestinal commensal, Enterococcus faecalis, to the origin of chromosomal instability (CIN)...
- Comparative Resistance Exercise Effects on Knee Osteoarthritis Pain, Functional IKEVIN ROBERT VINCENT; Fiscal Year: 2013..He has a PhD in Exercise Physiology from the University of Florida and is board certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation...
- THE ROLE OF ACETYLATION IN MITOCHONDRIAL FUNCTIONGary Cecchini; Fiscal Year: 2013..a SIRT3-/- knockout mouse model will be used to investigate the role of acetylation in control of mitochondrial physiology. Three specific aims will be investigated using mitochondrial model systems...
- Mucosal Immunity, Vaccines and Microbiota Interplay in Humans and AnimalMarcelo B Sztein; Fiscal Year: 2013..of renowned investigators in the fields of innate and adaptive immunity, molecular biology, mucosal biology and physiology, biochemistry, high-throughput technology, microbiology, genomics, protein chemistry and clinical ..
- Functional Genomics of the Mitochondrial ProteomeDennis R Winge; Fiscal Year: 2011..harboring tissue-restricted mutations these OXPHOS assembly proteins that will be utilized to define the in vivo physiology of these pathways...
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF REOVIRUS PATHOGENESISTerence S Dermody; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that reovirus binding to JAM-A perturbs tight junction physiology in a manner to promote viral entry...
- Physiology of Hypothalamic Neurosteroidal ProgesteronePaul E Micevych; Fiscal Year: 2013..This type of infertility exhibits excess estrogen production without ovulation that can lead to polycystic ovary syndrome, irregular vaginal bleeding, metabolic abnormalities as well as endometrial polyps, hyperplasia, and even cancer. ..
- Comparison of Diesel and Biodiesel Emissions and Health Effects in Underground MiJefferey L Burgess; Fiscal Year: 2013..and biodiesel blend-fueled equipment in an underground mine;2) Evaluate health effects and biomarkers of altered physiology associated with exposure to emissions generated using diesel and biodiesel blend-powered equipment;and 3) ..
- Pathobiology of Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetes in a Ferret ModelZoe Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2013..ferrets by evaluating serum glucose, insulin, glucagon, endocrine pancreatic function, and pancreatic duct cell physiology. We will also assess the impact of pancreatic CFTR gene therapy by evaluating ferret growth and nutritional ..
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2012..She has gained expertise in fetal physiology (especially of the cardiovascular system) and is well-versed in the literature surrounding the developmental ..
- Regulation of epithelial cell homeostasis by actin microfilamentsSeema Khurana; Fiscal Year: 2010..An understanding of apoptosis would help enhance normal physiology and ameliorate diseases...
- Role for Na,K-ATPase in Nucleoplasmic Calcium HomeostasisCraig Gatto; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will combine strategies from molecular biology, cell physiology, biochemistry, electrophysiology and confocal microscopy to accomplish our scientific goals...
- Neural mechanisms by which chronic stress regulates inflammation in asthmaMelissa A Rosenkranz; Fiscal Year: 2013..therefore, will examine the neural underpinnings of the influence of psychological factors on asthma-relevant physiology. The primary objectives of these projects are to (1) elucidate the neural circuitry through which chronic ..
- Using Drosophila to understand WNK and SPAK/OSR1 regulation of SLC12 cotransporteAYLIN RACHEL RODAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..an independent academic investigator with a research focus on epithelial ion transport related to kidney physiology and diseases...
- Cre, Dre Dual Lineage Model for Calcium Imaging and Optogenetic ManipulationsPetr Tvrdik; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Glia play many critical yet poorly understood roles in normal brain physiology, as well as in a wide range of neuropathologies...
- Regulation of microRNA-375 by cyclic-AMP in pancreatic beta-cellsDAVID MATTHEW KELLER; Fiscal Year: 2010..cell biology that small non-coding RNA molecules called microRNAs play a major role in development and physiology. MicroRNAs hybridize with target genes and repress protein synthesis via an RNA interference (RNAi) mechanism (..
- A novel peroxidase in vascular endothelium and the development of atherosclerosisGuangjie Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2012..Peroxidases are enzymes that catalyze hydrogen peroxide reduction and play important roles in physiology, immunology and pathology such as killing of bacteria, modulation of cell signal transduction pathway and tissue ..
- The Relationship Between STK39, Salt Sensitivity, and HCTZ-induced BP ResponseYEN PEI CHRISTY CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work will be performed by a team of young investigators with expertise in genetics, ion-transporter physiology, nephrology, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, and statistical analysis...
- Analysis of gene regulation of Vibrio cholerae during infectionJun Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2013..We now have further evidence that diverse cysteine modifications in AphB lead to diverse effects on cell physiology through changes in gene transcription and protein stability...
- Conference on Autonomic Regulation of Cardiovascular Function in Health and DiseaMartin Frank; Fiscal Year: 2012..The melding of human, animal, cellular and molecular physiology will foster discussion of additional integrative approaches in this area of biomedicine...
- Interdisciplinary Research Training in Reproduction for Indian FellowsJohn C Herr; Fiscal Year: 2010..sperm capacitation and the acrosome reaction, protein transcription, nuclear transcription factors, molecular physiology of ion channels, neuroendocrine control of mechanisms in reproduction, molecular control of spermatogenesis and ..
- Mechanisms of Endothelin 1-Induced Sickle Cell PathologyAlicia Rivera; Fiscal Year: 2011..low red cell Mg2+ levels, and increased K+ efflux may all contribute to sickle erythrocytes (SRBC) abnormal physiology. However, therapeutic agents that target RBC membrane channels have not been developed, primarily because the ..
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2013..She has gained expertise in fetal physiology (especially of the cardiovascular system) and is well-versed in the literature surrounding the developmental ..
- Parathyroid Hormone & Vitamin D Effects on Salt Sensitivity and Vascular FunctionANNA LIZA BELEN VALINA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is important to understand the role of vitamin D deficiency and prolonged elevation of PTH to the abnormal physiology that likely contributes to common cardiovascular complication since vitamin D supplementation is affordable, ..
- ECG-derived cardiopulmonary coupling biomarkers of sleep, sleep-breathing, and caRobert J Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2010..track chemoreflex modulation of sleep respiration will provide a new view of short and long-term dynamic sleep physiology with important clinical implications...
- Molecular Mechanism of Protein Kinase Cbeta-Mediated Cholesterol HomeostasisKamal D Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2010..homeostasis, but will also identify genes regulated by this kinase, to correlate regulatory mechanisms to animal physiology. Accomplishment of the above aims will unravel a central signaling component that may control dyslipidemia and ..
- Cerebral metabolism, EEG, and sleep cycling in critically ill neonatesRenée A Shellhaas; Fiscal Year: 2013..Key short-term goals include expansion of the PI's research to incorporate neonatal sleep physiology and complex signal analysis techniques, which will require additional mentorship and training...
- Biochemistry and Function of a Novel Bacterial Photosensory Two-Component SystemMELISSA MARKS; Fiscal Year: 2010..survival across such varied environments requires robust sensory systems that can rapidly modulate cell physiology. This application focuses on the molecular, genetic, and biochemical characterization of a novel environmental ..
- Estrogen Modulation of Auditory ProcessingRaphael Pinaud; Fiscal Year: 2012..bases of E2's effects on NCM neurons, and the functional outcomes of such modulation to NCM's physiology and auditory-based behaviors are unknown...
- Human middle-ear imaging, physiology, and biomechanicsCHARLES RICHARD STEELE; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Effects of Standardized Aerobic Exercise-Training on Neurocognitive and NeurodegeThomas O Obisesan; Fiscal Year: 2010..A team of highly successful experts in neuroimaging, neurology, psychology, exercise physiology, cardiology and genetics has been assembled to conduct this study...
- Transgenerational effects of endocrine disruptors: epigenetics and physiologyRebecca A Simmons; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proof of the principle of prenatal programming by environmental contaminants may change our awareness of critical assessment of the risk of such compounds. ..
- Nitric Oxide Restoration &Heme Detoxification as Adjunctive Therapies for CerebrLEONARDO JOSE DE MOURA CARVALHO; Fiscal Year: 2012..For each treatment, liver, kidney and respiratory physiology will be assessed to determine toxicity of the compounds, and in the case of NO donors blood pressure will also ..
- Neurotrophins in the LungY S Prakash; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): An exciting, new investigative theme in airway physiology and pathophysiology is neurotrophins (NTs): growth factors including brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) known for their diverse roles in ..
- Characterization of new toxins (YmgD and YdfD) from E.coli, targeting cell wallHisako Masuda; Fiscal Year: 2012..The exact role of these toxins on bacterial physiology is not yet clearly understood...
- Role of MicroRNA mi R-33 in Controlling Cholesterol/Lipid HomeostasisAnders M Naar; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have highlighted the critical role played by miRNAs in mammalian physiology with relevance to human health...
- Role of leptin-mediated PI3 Kinase signaling on reproductive controlCarol Fuzeti Elias; Fiscal Year: 2013..knowledge on how the brain integrates nutritional cues to regulate many parameters of the female reproductive physiology. In humans, states of negative energy balance as in anorexia, cachexia, and excessive exercise can all decrease ..
- Regulation of K-Ras by a Farnesyl-electrostatic SwitchMARK REID PHILIPS; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to study the cell biology and physiology of K-Ras phosphorylation to better understand how to exploit this process to develop anti-cancer drugs.
- A Rodent Model to Study Links Among Diet, Visceral Adipose and CardiomyopathyMELINDA ANN FRYE; Fiscal Year: 2013..advanced training in internal medicine provides her with expanded knowledge of clinical problems and systems physiology. Additionally, Dr...
- Neuroimaging Assessments of Brain Integrity in Aging MiceAi Ling Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..rodent models;2) to receive training in the biology of aging using rodent models, with an emphasis on metabolic physiology;3) to apply these newly found skills to the investigation of the mechanisms of action of aging and potential ..
- Novel SCID rat models for human cell transplantation studiesJoseph C Ruiz; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, the rat has been a valuable animal model for physiology, behavior, and pharmacology research programs, due to ease of experimental manipulation...
- Vitamin A adjuvant to enhance gut immunity and rotavirus vaccines in neonatesLinda J Saif; Fiscal Year: 2010..Neonatal Gn piglets mimic infants in their gastrointestinal physiology, mucosal immune responses and susceptibility to human RV diarrhea...
- Growth Hormone Regulation of SH2B1Christin Carter-Su; Fiscal Year: 2013..They are critical to normal human physiology, such that their impairment due to mutation contributes to the dramatic phenotype observed in human patients...
- Roles of oxidation and inflammation in aortic stiffeningDavid G Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our combined expertise in the physiology of hypertension, connective tissue biochemistry and cardiovascular histomorphology place us in a unique position ..
- Chronic stress mediates fat-related changes in insulin signaling and gut motilityCHARALABOS contact POTHOULAKIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Research Program by bringing together complementary fields and expertise of stress-related gastrointestinal physiology and pathophysiology and motility, adipocyte biology and metabolism, neuropeptide signaling and intestinal ..
- The Role of MYST Histone Acetyltransferase in Genome StabilityM Mitchell Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Dynamic protein acetylation is essential for normal cell physiology and development. Indeed, defects in acetyltransferases are associated with a wide variety of human diseases...
- Needle-Implantable, Wireless Multi-Sensor for Continuous Glucose MonitoringSanthisagar Vaddiraju; Fiscal Year: 2010..the electrochemical determination of D-glucose using the highly-specific glucose oxidase enzyme, changes in user physiology (i.e. exercise, irregular homeostatis, anoxia/hypoxia, diet etc...
- Epigenetic Analysis of iPS Cell Models of Aging and Alzheimer's DiseaseBruce A Yankner; Fiscal Year: 2010..goal of this application is to gain new insights into human aging and neurodegenerative disease by exploring the physiology and epigenetics of iPS cells and iPS cell-derived neurons generated from skin fibroblasts of individuals at ..
- NEURAL AND ENDOCRINE CONSEQUENCES OF PARITYROBERT STAFFORD BRIDGES; Fiscal Year: 2012..little attention has been given to the long-term impact of this reproductive experience on the female's physiology and health later in adulthood. The present proposal uses a rodent model to examine this issue...
- Regulation of Islet Beta-Cell Function via Islet-Derived VGF PeptidesSAMUEL BRANDON STEPHENS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Candidate My long-term vision for my lab is to integrate my expertise in molecular and cell biology with animal physiology to tackle key questions in the field of islet cell biology...
- Cholesterol and Lymphatic Transport of Molecules and CellsMelody A Swartz; Fiscal Year: 2012..we will bring together our respective expertise in DC trafficking, cholesterol, and lymphatic biology and physiology to a) Delineate the role of HDL in regulating lymphatic flow and dendritic cell migration (aim 1), b) Evaluate ..
- Photoperiod Brain and BehaviorRandy J Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2012..ancestral stocks of Homo sapiens have lived at one time or another in situations where seasonal adjustments in physiology might have proven advantageous...
- Dependency of O-3 Induced Lung Mucus Hypersecretion on NQ01W Michael Foster; Fiscal Year: 2010..urban smog, upon the airway, and in particular on mucin-type secretory cells and/or interaction with epithelial physiology, have not been investigated vigorously, and at best only superficially, in vivo...
- Ca Signaling in Progression of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in Skeletal MuscleJingsong Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will reveal the role of localized coupling between Ca and O2- production in muscle physiology, and establish the cellular mechanism(s) that contribute to NMJ remodeling and the progressive development of ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardKarl Deisseroth; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Live cell imaging of IgH and c-Myc gene loci and the role of nuclear organizationMark T Groudine; Fiscal Year: 2010..within the nucleus, and compartmentalization is thought to regulate transcription and promote nuclear physiology. However, there also may be negative consequences to this organization...
- INTRAVAGINAL PRODUCTS EFFECT ON VAGINAL PHYSIOLOGYDavid Eschenbach; Fiscal Year: 1999..This proposal is designed to examine the effects of a variety of conditions and products on the vaginal physiology. The effects under study include vaginal discharge, vaginal microbial flora, attachment of bacteria to vaginal ..
- THE ROLE OF LIPOXINS IN BONE CELL METABOLISMDimitris Tatakis; Fiscal Year: 1991..produced from the cyclooxygenase pathway) have profound and important effects on bone tissue and bone cell physiology/pathophysiology...
- Tumor NMR Images are Affected by AnestheticNatarajan Raghunand; Fiscal Year: 2006..Inducing and maintaining general anesthesia can produce profound changes in normal physiology. Depending upon the mechanism of action, anesthetic drugs may precipitate minor to profound changes in ..
- Mechanisms of Respiratory Muscle Dysfunction in Heart FailureLEONARDO FERREIRA; Fiscal Year: 2010..D. and postdoctoral) in the field of physiology to understand muscle weakness and fatigue...
- One Dimensional Hand Held Gamma Ray ScannerFARHAD DAGHIGHIAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..2008 During surgery anatomy and physiology are often altered...
- Pulmonary Biomarkers of Inflammation in Chronic TetraplegiaMiroslav Radulovic; Fiscal Year: 2009..pulmonary dysfunction observed, individuals with high cervical lesion often exhibit obstructive respiratory physiology similar to that seen in asthmatics and believed to be due to unopposed parasympathetic innervation to the ..
- BIOENERGETICS AND PROTON PUMPS IN MALARIA PARASITESAkhil Vaidya; Fiscal Year: 2007Transport across the plasma membrane is a critical feature of all cellular physiology. Many gatekeepers at the plasma membrane are assisted by ionic and electric gradients across the membrane...
- Iroquois Homeobox Transcription Factors in Heart Development and PhysiologyBENOIT GAETAN BRUNEAU; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the heart and are likely to be at the root of several human congenital heart diseases that affect cardiac physiology, such as cardiomyopathies and arrhythmias...
- Physiology and Acoustics of Singing II: New DirectionsJohn Nix; Fiscal Year: 2004..Voice and Speech at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts will host the 2nd International Conference on the Physiology and Acoustics of Singing on October 7-9, 2004...
- Applications of FES Artificial Walking for Cerebral PalsyJessica Rose; Fiscal Year: 2009..The conference will bring together experts in FES artificial walking, neuromuscular physiology, computer science, biomechanical modeling and gait analysis to advance FES assisted walking for children with CP ..
- CHEMISTRY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF BONEMitsuo Yamauchi; Fiscal Year: 1991The long term objectives of this proposal are to investigate the quantitative biochemistry and physiology of bone in normal and disordered states of mineralization...