Genomes and Genes
Summary: Biosynthesis of GLUCOSE from nonhexose or non-carbohydrate precursors, such as LACTATE; PYRUVATE; ALANINE; and GLYCEROL.
Publications274 found, 100 shown here
- Differential hepatic gene expression in a polygenic mouse model with insulin resistance and hyperglycemia: evidence for a combined transcriptional dysregulation of gluconeogenesis and fatty acid synthesisW Becker
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical Faculty of Aachen University, Wendlingweg 2, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
J Mol Endocrinol 32:195-208. 2004....
- Metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis in mice independently of the LKB1/AMPK pathway via a decrease in hepatic energy stateMarc Foretz
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8104, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 120:2355-69. 2010..protein kinase (LKB1/AMPK) pathway was proposed to mediate the action of metformin on hepatic gluconeogenesis. However, the molecular mechanism by which this pathway operates had remained elusive...
- Nutrient control of glucose homeostasis through a complex of PGC-1alpha and SIRT1Joseph T Rodgers
Department of Cell Biology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nature 434:113-8. 2005..Thus, we have identified a molecular mechanism whereby SIRT1 functions in glucose homeostasis as a modulator of PGC-1alpha. These findings have strong implications for the basic pathways of energy homeostasis, diabetes and lifespan...
- Control of hepatic gluconeogenesis through the transcriptional coactivator PGC-1J C Yoon
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 413:131-8. 2001..b>Gluconeogenesis is strongly stimulated during fasting and is aberrantly activated in diabetes mellitus...
- Class IIa histone deacetylases are hormone-activated regulators of FOXO and mammalian glucose homeostasisMaria M Mihaylova
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell 145:607-21. 2011..Finally, suppression of class IIa HDACs in mouse models of type 2 diabetes ameliorates hyperglycemia, suggesting that inhibitors of class I/II HDACs may be potential therapeutics for metabolic syndrome...
- The CREB coactivator TORC2 is a key regulator of fasting glucose metabolismSeung Hoi Koo
Peptide Biology Laboratories, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, California 92037 1002, USA
Nature 437:1109-11. 2005..When cellular ATP levels are low, however, the energy-sensing kinase AMPK inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis through an unknown mechanism...
- Acetylation regulates gluconeogenesis by promoting PEPCK1 degradation via recruiting the UBR5 ubiquitin ligaseWenqing Jiang
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, School of Life Sciences, Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 20032, China
Mol Cell 43:33-44. 2011..is irreversible, and the reverse reaction requires phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase (PEPCK1) to commit for gluconeogenesis. Here, we show that acetylation regulates the stability of the gluconeogenic rate-limiting enzyme PEPCK1, ..
- Cryptochrome mediates circadian regulation of cAMP signaling and hepatic gluconeogenesisEric E Zhang
Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Nat Med 16:1152-6. 2010During fasting, mammals maintain normal glucose homeostasis by stimulating hepatic gluconeogenesis. Elevations in circulating glucagon and epinephrine, two hormones that activate hepatic gluconeogenesis, trigger the cAMP-mediated ..
- BMAL1 and CLOCK, two essential components of the circadian clock, are involved in glucose homeostasisR Daniel Rudic
Center for Experimental Therapeutics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
PLoS Biol 2:e377. 2004..b>Gluconeogenesis is abolished by deletion of Bmal1 and is depressed in Clock mutants, but the counterregulatory response of ..
- Bifurcation of insulin signaling pathway in rat liver: mTORC1 required for stimulation of lipogenesis, but not inhibition of gluconeogenesisShijie Li
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9046, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:3441-6. 2010..e., it fails to suppress PEPCK and other genes of gluconeogenesis), yet it retains its ability to stimulate fatty acid synthesis (i.e...
- The CREB coactivator CRTC2 links hepatic ER stress and fasting gluconeogenesisYiguo Wang
Clayton Foundation Laboratories for Peptide Biology, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 460:534-7. 2009In fasted mammals, circulating pancreatic glucagon stimulates hepatic gluconeogenesis in part through the CREB regulated transcription coactivator 2 (CRTC2, also referred to as TORC2)...
- Hypothalamic leptin signaling regulates hepatic insulin sensitivity via a neurocircuit involving the vagus nerveJonathan German
Department of Medicine, University of Washington at South Lake Union, 815 Mercer Street, Box 358055, Seattle, Washington 98195
Endocrinology 150:4502-11. 2009..We conclude that hypothalamic leptin action increases peripheral insulin sensitivity primarily via effects on the liver and that the mechanism underlying this effect is dependent on the hepatic branch of the vagus nerve...
- AMPK-dependent repression of hepatic gluconeogenesis via disruption of CREB.CRTC2 complex by orphan nuclear receptor small heterodimer partnerJi Min Lee
Hormone Research Center, School of Biological Sciences and Technology, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
J Biol Chem 285:32182-91. 2010..In conclusion, our results suggest that a delayed effect of metformin-mediated induction of SHP gene expression inhibits CREB-dependent hepatic gluconeogenesis.
- Gluconeogenesis in dairy cows: the secret of making sweet milk from sour doughJörg R Aschenbach
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Institute of Veterinary Physiology, Free University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
IUBMB Life 62:869-77. 2010b>Gluconeogenesis is a crucial process to support glucose homeostasis when nutritional supply with glucose is insufficient...
- Quantitative contributions of gluconeogenesis to glucose production during fasting in type 2 diabetes mellitusA Wajngot
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Metabolism 50:47-52. 2001Contributions of gluconeogenesis to glucose production were determined between 14 to 22 hours into a fast in type 2 diabetics (n = 9) and age-weight-matched controls (n = 7); ages, 60.4 +/- 2.3 versus 55.6 +/- 1...
- Expression profiling of cassava storage roots reveals an active process of glycolysis/gluconeogenesisJun Yang
Shanghai Center for Cassava Biotechnology, National Laboratory of Plant Molecular Genetics, Institute of Plant Physiology and Ecology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200032, China
J Integr Plant Biol 53:193-211. 2011..Among 25 significantly changed pathways identified, glycolysis/gluconeogenesis was the most evident one...
- Regulation of hepatic fasting response by PPARgamma coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1): requirement for hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha in gluconeogenesisJames Rhee
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:4012-7. 2003..coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) is induced in fasted or diabetic liver and activates the entire program of gluconeogenesis. PGC-1alpha interacts with several nuclear receptors known to bind gluconeogenic promoters including the ..
- Defects in adaptive energy metabolism with CNS-linked hyperactivity in PGC-1alpha null miceJiandie Lin
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 119:121-35. 2004..that regulates several metabolic processes, including mitochondrial biogenesis and respiration, hepatic gluconeogenesis, and muscle fiber-type switching...
- Protein acetylation microarray reveals that NuA4 controls key metabolic target regulating gluconeogenesisYu yi Lin
High Throughput Biology Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell 136:1073-84. 2009..Our findings demonstrate a regulatory function for the NuA4 complex in glucose metabolism and life span by acetylating a critical metabolic enzyme...
- Aspergillus fumigatus AcuM regulates both iron acquisition and gluconeogenesisHong Liu
Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Mol Microbiol 78:1038-54. 2010..A. fumigatus AcuM also regulated genes involved in gluconeogenesis, and the ΔacuM mutant had impaired growth on gluconeogenic carbon sources...
- Excessive hepatic mitochondrial TCA cycle and gluconeogenesis in humans with nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseNishanth E Sunny
Advanced Imaging Research Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Cell Metab 14:804-10. 2011..Individuals with NAFLD had 50% higher rates of lipolysis and 30% higher rates of gluconeogenesis. There was a positive correlation between IHTG content and both mitochondrial oxidative and anaplerotic ..
- Insulin-regulated hepatic gluconeogenesis through FOXO1-PGC-1alpha interactionPere Puigserver
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 423:550-5. 2003Hepatic gluconeogenesis is absolutely required for survival during prolonged fasting or starvation, but is inappropriately activated in diabetes mellitus. Glucocorticoids and glucagon have strong gluconeogenic actions on the liver...
- Stat3-mediated activation of microRNA-23a suppresses gluconeogenesis in hepatocellular carcinoma by down-regulating glucose-6-phosphatase and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma, coactivator 1 alphaBo Wang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Hepatology 56:186-97. 2012..G6PC expression also correlated with tumor grade in human primary HCCs. Finally, this study showed that the activation of interleukin (IL)-6-Stat3 signaling caused the up-regulation of miR-23a expression in HCC...
- Absence of melatonin induces night-time hepatic insulin resistance and increased gluconeogenesis due to stimulation of nocturnal unfolded protein responseTatiane C Nogueira
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo 05508 900, Brazil
Endocrinology 152:1253-63. 2011..the circadian rhythm in hepatic phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase expression (a limiting catalytic step of gluconeogenesis) and hepatic glucose production is maintained by both daily oscillation in autonomic inputs to the liver and ..
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress inhibits STAT3-dependent suppression of hepatic gluconeogenesis via dephosphorylation and deacetylationKumi Kimura
Frontier Science Organization, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
Diabetes 61:61-73. 2012....
- Chitosan reduces gluconeogenesis and increases glucose uptake in skeletal muscle in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsShing Hwa Liu
Institute of Toxicology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 58:5795-800. 2010..The increased gluconeogenesis-related signals including phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase (PEPCK) expression and phosphorylations of p38 ..
- Transcriptional response of Candida albicans upon internalization by macrophagesMichael C Lorenz
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas Health Science Center, 6431 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Eukaryot Cell 3:1076-87. 2004....
- Niche-specific regulation of central metabolic pathways in a fungal pathogenCaroline J Barelle
School of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Cell Microbiol 8:961-71. 2006..six-carbon compounds via the glycolytic pathway, and two-carbon compounds via the glyoxylate cycle and gluconeogenesis. We address a paradox regarding the roles of these central metabolic pathways in C...
- CREB regulates hepatic gluconeogenesis through the coactivator PGC-1S Herzig
Peptide Biology Laboratories, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037 1002, USA
Nature 413:179-83. 2001..The pathways act synergistically to induce gluconeogenesis (glucose synthesis), although the underlying mechanism has not been determined...
- Regulation of hepatic gluconeogenesis by an ER-bound transcription factor, CREBHMin Woo Lee
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 300 Chunchun dong, Jangan gu, Suwon, Gyeonggi do 440 746, Korea
Cell Metab 11:331-9. 2010..Here, we report a critical function of ER-bound transcription factor, CREBH, in the regulation of hepatic gluconeogenesis. Expression of CREBH is markedly induced by fasting or in the insulin-resistant state in rodents in a ..
- Metformin and insulin suppress hepatic gluconeogenesis through phosphorylation of CREB binding proteinLing He
Division of Metabolism, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Cell 137:635-46. 2009..Our findings point to CBP phosphorylation at Ser436 by metformin as critical for its therapeutic effect, and as a potential target for pharmaceutical intervention...
- Establishment and characterization of a novel method for evaluating gluconeogenesis using hepatic cell lines, H4IIE and HepG2Takashi Okamoto
First Institute of New Drug Discovery, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Kawauchi cho, Tokushima, Japan
Arch Biochem Biophys 491:46-52. 2009..In this study, we attempted to establish a new method to evaluate gluconeogenesis using rat H4IIE hepatoma cells...
- Genome-wide analysis of FoxO1 binding in hepatic chromatin: potential involvement of FoxO1 in linking retinoid signaling to hepatic gluconeogenesisDong Ju Shin
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 40:11499-509. 2012..As Pck1 and Pdk4 are downstream targets of retinoid signaling, these results suggest that FoxO1 plays a potential role in linking retinoid metabolism to hepatic gluconeogenesis.
- Activation of K(ATP) channels suppresses glucose production in humansPreeti Kishore
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Clin Invest 121:4916-20. 2011..These results suggest that activation of hypothalamic K(ATP) channels may be an important regulator of EGP in humans and that this pathway could be a target for treatment of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Divergent regulation of hepatic glucose and lipid metabolism by phosphoinositide 3-kinase via Akt and PKClambda/zetaCullen M Taniguchi
Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cell Metab 3:343-53. 2006....
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae engineered for xylose metabolism requires gluconeogenesis and the oxidative branch of the pentose phosphate pathway for aerobic xylose assimilationRonald E Hector
Bioenergy Research Unit, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Yeast 28:645-60. 2011..we investigated the possible reasons for this imbalance by deleting genes required for NADPH production and gluconeogenesis in S. cerevisiae. S...
- Targeted disruption of the CREB coactivator Crtc2 increases insulin sensitivityYiguo Wang
Salk Institute for Biological Studies, Peptide Biology Laboratory, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:3087-92. 2010..Our results suggest that small molecules that attenuate the CREB-CRTC2 pathway may provide therapeutic benefit to individuals with type 2 diabetes...
- Gluconeogenesis in the fetus and neonateS Kalhan
Department of Pediatrics, Robert Schwartz M D Center for Metabolism and Nutrition, MetroHealth Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
Semin Perinatol 24:94-106. 2000b>Gluconeogenesis (GNG), a key metabolic process, involves the formation of glucose and glycogen from non-glucose precursors via pyruvate...
- STAT3 inhibition of gluconeogenesis is downregulated by SirT1Yongzhan Nie
Nat Cell Biol 11:492-500. 2009The fasting-activated longevity protein sirtuin 1 (SirT1, ref. 1) promotes gluconeogenesis in part, by increasing transcription of the key gluconeogenic genes pepck1 and g6pase, through deacetylating PGC-1alpha and FOXO1 (ref. 4)...
- Hypothalamic leucine metabolism regulates liver glucose productionYa Su
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Research and Training Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Diabetes 61:85-93. 2012..We postulate that the metabolic sensing of leucine in the MBH is a previously unrecognized mechanism for the regulation of hepatic glucose production required to maintain glucose homeostasis...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 gene therapy in obese diabetic mice results in long-term cure of diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and reducing hepatic gluconeogenesisYoung Sun Lee
Rosalind Franklin Comprehensive Diabetes Center, Department of Pathology, Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL 60064, USA
Diabetes 56:1671-9. 2007..these results show that a single administration of rAd-GLP-1 results in the long-term remission of diabetes in ob/ob mice by improving insulin sensitivity through restoration of insulin signaling and reducing hepatic gluconeogenesis.
- Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-I treatment inhibits gluconeogenesis in a transgenic mouse model of type 2 diabetes mellitusPatricia Pennisi
Diabetes Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Betheda, MD 20892, USA
Endocrinology 147:2619-30. 2006..together these results demonstrate that the improvement of the hyperglycemia was achieved by inhibition of gluconeogenesis rather than an improvement in insulin sensitivity...
- Fasting hyperglycemia is not associated with increased expression of PEPCK or G6Pc in patients with Type 2 DiabetesVarman T Samuel
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:12121-6. 2009Fasting hyperglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is attributed to increased hepatic gluconeogenesis, which has been ascribed to increased transcriptional expression of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase (PEPCK) and ..
- Spironolactone improves glucose and lipid metabolism by ameliorating hepatic steatosis and inflammation and suppressing enhanced gluconeogenesis induced by high-fat and high-fructose dietTsutomu Wada
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Toyama, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Endocrinology 151:2040-9. 2010..These results indicate that inhibition of mineralocorticoid receptor might be a beneficial therapeutic approach for diet-induced phenotypes of metabolic syndrome and fatty liver...
- Pathogenesis of fasting and postprandial hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: implications for therapyRobert A Rizza
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Metabolism and Nutrition, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Diabetes 59:2697-707. 2010..Increased rates of gluconeogenesis and perhaps glycogenolysis contribute to hepatic insulin resistance...
- Metabolic effects of visceral fat accumulation in type 2 diabetesAmalia Gastaldelli
Metabolism Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Savi, I 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5098-103. 2002..euglycemic insulin clamp), 4) endogenous glucose output ([(3)H]glucose infusion technique), and 5) gluconeogenesis ((2)H(2)O method)...
- Gluconeogenesis, glucose handling, and structural changes in livers of the adult offspring of rats partially deprived of protein during pregnancy and lactationS P Burns
Cellular Mechanisms Research Group, Medical Unit, St Bartholomew s and The Royal London Hospital School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 100:1768-74. 1997..Fetal programming of adult glucose metabolism may operate partly through structural alterations and changes in glucokinase expression in the immediate perivenous region...
- Regulation of glucose production by the liverR C Nordlie
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks 58202, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 19:379-406. 1999..the uptake and storage of glucose via glycogenesis and the release of glucose via glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis. The several substrate cycles in the major metabolic pathways of the liver play key roles in the regulation ..
- Hypothalamic K(ATP) channels control hepatic glucose productionAlessandro Pocai
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Nature 434:1026-31. 2005..Hyperglycaemia is a hallmark of diabetes and is largely due to increased hepatic gluconeogenesis. The medial hypothalamus is a major integrator of nutritional and hormonal signals, which play pivotal roles ..
- Glycolytic glioma cells with active glycogen synthase are sensitive to PTEN and inhibitors of PI3K and gluconeogenesisMarie E Beckner
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Lab Invest 85:1457-70. 2005..The ability of astrocytic cells to remove lactate, the inhibitor of glycolysis, via gluconeogenesis and incorporation into glycogen led to consideration of supportive genetic mutations...
- Adult rats prenatally exposed to ethanol have increased gluconeogenesis and impaired insulin response of hepatic gluconeogenic genesXing Hai Yao
Diabetes Research Group, Univ of Manitoba, 715 McDermot Ave Rm 834, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 3P4
J Appl Physiol 100:642-8. 2006..to ethanol (EtOH rats) during pregnancy are insulin resistant, but it is unknown whether they have increased gluconeogenesis. To address this issue, we determined blood glucose and liver gluconeogenic genes, proteins, and enzyme ..
- Cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1R) signaling regulates hepatic gluconeogenesis via induction of endoplasmic reticulum-bound transcription factor cAMP-responsive element-binding protein H (CREBH) in primary hepatocytesDipanjan Chanda
National Creative Research Initiatives Center for Nuclear Receptor Signals, Hormone Research Center, School of Biological Sciences and Technology, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
J Biol Chem 286:27971-9. 2011..factor CREBH is emerging as a critical player in various hepatic metabolic pathways and regulates hepatic gluconeogenesis in diet-induced obese settings...
- Berberine improves glucose metabolism in diabetic rats by inhibition of hepatic gluconeogenesisXuan Xia
Department of Endocrinology, The Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
PLoS ONE 6:e16556. 2011..The data suggest that BBR improves fasting blood glucose by direct inhibition of gluconeogenesis in liver. This activity is not dependent on insulin action...
- Effects of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-O-gallate on expression of gluconeogenesis-related genes in the mouse duodenumKensuke Yasui
Health Care Research Center, Nisshin Pharma Inc, Fujimino, Saitama 356 8511
Biomed Res 32:313-20. 2011..In the present study, we examined the effects of intragastrical administration of EGCG on the expression of gluconeogenesis-related genes in the mouse intestine...
- Transcription factors and coactivators controlling nutrient and hormonal regulation of hepatic gluconeogenesisSarawut Jitrapakdee
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 44:33-45. 2012Hepatic gluconeogenesis is a major pathway that maintains normal plasma glucose levels during prolonged starvation...
- Control of blood glucose in the absence of hepatic glucose production during prolonged fasting in mice: induction of renal and intestinal gluconeogenesis by glucagonElodie Mutel
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U855, Lyon, France
Diabetes 60:3121-31. 2011..The aim of this study was to better define the importance of the three gluconeogenic organs in glucose homeostasis...
- Intrauterine growth restriction increases fetal hepatic gluconeogenic capacity and reduces messenger ribonucleic acid translation initiation and nutrient sensing in fetal liver and skeletal muscleStephanie R Thorn
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Endocrinology 150:3021-30. 2009....
- Aquaporin-9 protein is the primary route of hepatocyte glycerol uptake for glycerol gluconeogenesis in miceSabina Jelen
From the Water and Salt Research Center, Department of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, Wilhelm Meyers Alle, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Biol Chem 286:44319-25. 2011..Our experiments establish AQP9 as the primary route of hepatocyte glycerol uptake for gluconeogenesis and thereby explain the previously observed, alleviated diabetes in leptin receptor-deficient AQP9(-/-) mice.
- Inhibition of hypothalamic inflammation reverses diet-induced insulin resistance in the liverMarciane Milanski
Laboratory of Cell Signaling, University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
Diabetes 61:1455-62. 2012Defective liver gluconeogenesis is the main mechanism leading to fasting hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes, and, in concert with steatosis, it is the hallmark of hepatic insulin resistance...
- Retinaldehyde dehydrogenase 1 coordinates hepatic gluconeogenesis and lipid metabolismFlorian W Kiefer
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Endocrinology 153:3089-99. 2012..WT livers. In vitro, retinoid or cAMP agonist stimulation markedly induced gluconeogenesis in WT but not Aldh1a1-deficient primary hepatocytes...
- Hypoglycemic effect of isoleucine involves increased muscle glucose uptake and whole body glucose oxidation and decreased hepatic gluconeogenesisMasako Doi
Division of Pharmacology, Drug Safety and Metabolism, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc, Naruto, Tokushima 772 8601, Japan
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E1683-93. 2007..This study evaluated the effect of isoleucine on glucose uptake and oxidation in fasted rats and on gluconeogenesis in vivo and in vitro...
- Insulin represses phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase gene transcription by causing the rapid disruption of an active transcription complex: a potential epigenetic effectRobert K Hall
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, 707 Light Hall, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 0615, USA
Mol Endocrinol 21:550-63. 2007Insulin represses gluconeogenesis, in part, by inhibiting the transcription of genes that encode rate-determining enzymes, such as phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase (PEPCK) and glucose-6-phosphatase (G-6-Pase)...
- The role of class I histone deacetylase (HDAC) on gluconeogenesis in liverHiroshi Oiso
Department of Metabolic Medicine, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 404:166-72. 2011Hepatic gluconeogenesis is crucial for glucose homeostasis. Although sirtuin 1 (Sirt1) is implicated in the regulation of gluconeogenesis in the liver, the effects of other histone deacetylases (HDAC) on gluconeogenesis are unclear...
- Effects of insulin and cytosolic redox state on glucose production pathways in the isolated perfused mouse liver measured by integrated 2H and 13C NMRNatasha Hausler
Advanced Imaging Research Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5801 Forest Park Road, Dallas, TX 75235 9085, USA
Biochem J 394:465-73. 2006..When lactate and pyruvate were eliminated from the perfusion medium, both gluconeogenesis and tricarboxylic-acid-cycle flux were dramatically lower...
- Metformin suppresses hepatic gluconeogenesis through induction of SIRT1 and GCN5Paul W Caton
Bart s and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, William Harvey Research Institute, Queen Mary University, London, UK
J Endocrinol 205:97-106. 2010Abnormal elevation of hepatic gluconeogenesis is central to the onset of hyperglycaemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase/phosphatase may be an ancestral gluconeogenic enzymeRafael F Say
Mikrobiologie, Fakultat Biologie, Universitat Freiburg, Schanzlestrasse 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Nature 464:1077-81. 2010..autotrophic organisms use diverse carbon dioxide fixation mechanisms generating acetyl-coenzyme A, from which gluconeogenesis must start...
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced activation of activating transcription factor 6 decreases cAMP-stimulated hepatic gluconeogenesis via inhibition of CREBHye Young Seo
Department of Internal Medicine, Keimyung University School of Medicine, 194 Dongsan dong, Jung Gu, Daegu, 700 712, South Korea
Endocrinology 151:561-8. 2010..However, the direct effect of ER stress on hepatic gluconeogenesis is still not clear...
- Fructose-induced hypothalamic AMPK activation stimulates hepatic PEPCK and gluconeogenesis due to increased corticosterone levelsAndrezza Kinote
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas, Alexander Fleming Street, 101, 13084 971Campinas SP, Brazil
Endocrinology 153:3633-45. 2012Fructose consumption causes insulin resistance and favors hepatic gluconeogenesis through mechanisms that are not completely understood...
- Intrinsic gluconeogenesis is enhanced in renal proximal tubules of Zucker diabetic fatty ratsAssaad Eid
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Métabolique et Rénale, INSERM UMR 499, Faculté de Médecine R T H Laënnec, Rue G Paradin, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:398-405. 2006Recent studies indicate that renal gluconeogenesis is substantially stimulated in patients with type 2 diabetes, but the mechanism that is responsible for such stimulation remains unknown...
- The quantification of gluconeogenesis in healthy men by (2)H2O and [2-(13)C]glycerol yields different results: rates of gluconeogenesis in healthy men measured with (2)H2O are higher than those measured with [2-(13)C]glycerolM T Ackermans
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Laboratory of Endocrinology and Radiochemistry, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2220-6. 2001The quantification of gluconeogenesis (GNG) by (2)H2O and [2-(13)C]glycerol and the mass isotopomer dilution analysis of glucose does not involve assumptions regarding the enrichment of the oxaloacetate precursor pool...
- Cdc2-like kinase 2 is an insulin-regulated suppressor of hepatic gluconeogenesisJoseph T Rodgers
Department of Cancer Biology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell Metab 11:23-34. 2010..Here, we show that Cdc2-like kinase 2 (Clk2) is an insulin-regulated suppressor of hepatic gluconeogenesis and glucose output...
- Can sugars be produced from fatty acids? A test case for pathway analysis toolsLuis F de Figueiredo
Department of Bioinformatics, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Ernst Abbe Platz 2, 07743 Jena, Germany
Bioinformatics 25:152-8. 2009..Using this example, we can compare the various methods in pathway analysis...
- Fructose-induced hepatic gluconeogenesis: effect of L-carnitinePanchamoorthy Rajasekar
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Life Sci 80:1176-83. 2007..The abnormalities associated with fructose feeding such as increased gluconeogenesis, reduced glycogen content and other parameters were brought back to near normal levels by CA...
- Renal gluconeogenesis: its importance in human glucose homeostasisJ E Gerich
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Diabetes Care 24:382-91. 2001....
- Changes in subcellular localization of fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase during differentiation of isolated muscle satellite cellsA Gizak
Department of Animal Physiology, Institute of Zoology, Wroclaw University, Cybulskiego 30, 50 205 Wroclaw, Poland
FEBS Lett 580:4042-6. 2006..The data might suggest that FBPase participates in some nuclear processes during development and regeneration of skeletal muscle...
- Gluconeogenesis in humans with induced hyperlactatemia during low-intensity exerciseMark J Roef
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, VU University Medical Center, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E1162-71. 2003We studied the role of lactate in gluconeogenesis (GNG) during exercise in untrained fasting humans...
- Comparative effects of Stevia rebaudiana leaves and stevioside on glycaemia and hepatic gluconeogenesisEdilene Bega Ferreira
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, State University of Maringa, Maringa PR, Brazil
Planta Med 72:691-6. 2006..Bertoni (SRB) and stevioside (STV) on glycaemia and gluconeogenesis of 15-h fasted rats. For this purpose, the rats received SRB (20 mg/kg x day), STV (5...
- Metformin inhibits glycogen synthesis and gluconeogenesis in cultured rat hepatocytesM Otto
Department of Hepatic Biochemistry, Novo Nordisk A S, Novo Nordisk Park, Denmark
Diabetes Obes Metab 5:189-94. 2003..Glycogen synthesis, and glucose and lactate production were examined in cultured rat hepatocytes preincubated with metformin (0-500 micro m) for 24 h...
- Bile acids regulate gluconeogenic gene expression via small heterodimer partner-mediated repression of hepatocyte nuclear factor 4 and Foxo1Kazuyuki Yamagata
Center for Tsukuba Advanced Research Alliance, Aspect of Functional Genomic Biology, Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8577, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:23158-65. 2004..These findings reveal a novel mechanism by which bile acids regulate gluconeogenic gene expression via an SHP-dependent regulatory pathway...
- Glucagon and cAMP inhibit cholesterol 7alpha-hydroxylase (CYP7A1) gene expression in human hepatocytes: discordant regulation of bile acid synthesis and gluconeogenesisKwang Hoon Song
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pathology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH 44272, USA
Hepatology 43:117-25. 2006..In conclusion, this study unveils a species difference in nutrient regulation of the human and mouse CYP7A1 gene and suggests a discordant regulation of bile acid synthesis and gluconeogenesis by glucagon in human livers during fasting.
- Impaired basal glucose effectiveness but unaltered fasting glucose release and gluconeogenesis during short-term hypercortisolemia in healthy subjectsMichael F Nielsen
Dept of Surgical Gastroenterology L, Aarhus Kommunehospital, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286:E102-10. 2004..To determine whether glucose effectiveness and, in terms of endogenous glucose release (EGR), gluconeogenesis, also are altered by hypercortisolemia, eight healthy subjects were studied after overnight infusion with ..
- Selective glucocorticoid receptor nonsteroidal ligands completely antagonize the dexamethasone mediated induction of enzymes involved in gluconeogenesis and glutamine metabolismMonica Einstein
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Mail Code RY80N C31, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 92:345-56. 2004..These NSGCAs might have useful applications as tools in metabolic research and drug discovery...
- Enhanced susceptibility of Cpt1c knockout mice to glucose intolerance induced by a high-fat diet involves elevated hepatic gluconeogenesis and decreased skeletal muscle glucose uptakeX F Gao
Key Laboratory of Regenerative Biology, Guangzhou Institute of Biomedicine and Health, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou, China
Diabetologia 52:912-20. 2009..However, the underlying mechanism of this phenotype and the question of whether CPT1c is involved in the pathogenesis of diet-induced insulin resistance are unclear...
- Resistance to diet-induced obesity in mice with synthetic glyoxylate shuntJason T Dean
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell Metab 9:525-36. 2009..This work suggests that using non-native pathways in higher organisms to explore and modulate metabolism may be a useful approach...
- Fructus Corni suppresses hepatic gluconeogenesis related gene transcription, enhances glucose responsiveness of pancreatic beta-cells, and prevents toxin induced beta-cell deathChien Chih Chen
Division of Medicinal Chemistry, National Research Institute of Chinese Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Ethnopharmacol 117:483-90. 2008..Fructus Corni, the fruits of Cornus officinalis Sieb. et Zucc., is one important ingredient in Quei Fu Di Huang Wan, a Chinese herbal mixture...
- Loss of Par-1a/MARK3/C-TAK1 kinase leads to reduced adiposity, resistance to hepatic steatosis, and defective gluconeogenesisJochen K Lennerz
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:5043-56. 2010..Thus, although Par-1a and Par-1b can compensate for one another during embryogenesis, their individual disruption gives rise to distinct metabolic phenotypes in adult mice...
- A novel function of intestinal gluconeogenesis: central signaling in glucose and energy homeostasisGilles Mithieux
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U 855, Lyon, France
Nutrition 25:881-4. 2009..to the control of glucose homeostasis by its high glycolytic capacity and a recently described function, gluconeogenesis. In addition to its quantitative role in endogenous glucose production, a qualitative role of central ..
- Glucose production and gluconeogenesis in adults with cerebral malariaH van Thien
Bao Loc General Hospital, Lamdong Province, Vietnam
QJM 94:709-15. 2001Hypoglycaemia is an important complication in severe malaria, ascribed to an inhibition of gluconeogenesis. However, the only data available suggested that in severe malaria, total glucose production is increased...
- Suppressor of MEK null (SMEK)/protein phosphatase 4 catalytic subunit (PP4C) is a key regulator of hepatic gluconeogenesisYoung Sil Yoon
Department of Molecular Cell Biology and Samsung Biomedical Research Institute, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Gyeonggi do 440 746, Korea
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:17704-9. 2010Fasting promotes hepatic gluconeogenesis to maintain glucose homeostasis...
- Gluconeogenesis and energy expenditure after a high-protein, carbohydrate-free dietMargriet A B Veldhorst
NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 90:519-26. 2009..High-protein diets have been shown to increase energy expenditure (EE)...
- Regulation of gluconeogenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is mediated by activator and repressor functions of Rds2Nitnipa Soontorngun
Department of Medicine, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Mol Cell Biol 27:7895-905. 2007..Here, we unravel a key function of Rds2 in gluconeogenesis using chromatin immunoprecipitation-chip technology...
- Insulin modulates gluconeogenesis by inhibition of the coactivator TORC2Renaud Dentin
Peptide Biology Laboratories, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 449:366-9. 2007..Because TORC2 protein levels and activity were increased in diabetes owing to a block in TORC2 phosphorylation, our results point to an important role for this pathway in the maintenance of glucose homeostasis...
- Acetone metabolism in mice: increased activity in mice heterozygous for obesity genesD L Coleman
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 77:290-3. 1980..The rate-limiting step in the pathway appears to be the conversion of acetone to a hydroxylated derivative. The enzyme system effecting this conversion is an NADPH-requiring microsomal oxygenase found in the liver...
- Hepatic autoregulation: response of glucose production and gluconeogenesis to increased glycogenolysisPeter Staehr
Medical Endocrinological Department, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E1265-9. 2007The effect of increased glycogenolysis, simulated by galactose's conversion to glucose, on the contribution of gluconeogenesis (GNG) to hepatic glucose production (GP) was determined...
- Intestinal gluconeogenesis: key signal of central control of energy and glucose homeostasisGilles Mithieux
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U855, Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 12:419-23. 2009..It can also contribute to the control of glucose homeostasis via its high glycolytic capacity and a recently described function, gluconeogenesis.
- Differential regulation of endogenous glucose-6-phosphatase and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase gene expression by the forkhead transcription factor FKHR in H4IIE-hepatoma cellsA Barthel
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, D 52057, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 285:897-902. 2001..These data suggest a specific function for FKHR in the regulation of hepatic gluconeogenesis at the level of G6Pase, but not PEPCK gene expression.
- Coordinated control of cholesterol catabolism to bile acids and of gluconeogenesis via a novel mechanism of transcription regulation linked to the fasted-to-fed cycleEmma De Fabiani
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmacologiche, Facolta di Farmacia, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:39124-32. 2003..transcription of the gene (PEPCK) encoding phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase, the rate-limiting enzyme in gluconeogenesis, through the same farnesoid X receptor-independent mechanism...
- Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase is necessary for the integration of hepatic energy metabolismP She
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:6508-17. 2000..Thus, hepatic PEPCK may function more as an integrator of hepatic energy metabolism than as a determinant of gluconeogenesis.
- SirT1 knockdown in liver decreases basal hepatic glucose production and increases hepatic insulin responsiveness in diabetic ratsDerek M Erion
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:11288-93. 2009Hepatic gluconeogenesis is a major contributing factor to hyperglycemia in the fasting and postprandial states in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- STAT3 targets the regulatory regions of gluconeogenic genes in vivoPreeti Ramadoss
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Mol Endocrinol 23:827-37. 2009..Thus STAT3 mediates negative regulation of hepatic gluconeogenic gene expression in vivo by interacting with regulatory regions of these genes...
- Higher insulin concentrations are required to suppress gluconeogenesis than glycogenolysis in nondiabetic humansAron Adkins
Endocrine Research Unit, Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Diabetes 52:2213-20. 2003..25, 0.375, or 0.5 mU. kg(-1). min(-1) and glucose was clamped at approximately 5.5 mmol/l. EGP, gluconeogenesis, and uridine-diphosphoglucose (UDP)-glucose flux were measured using [3-(3)H]glucose, deuterated water, and ..
- HYPOGLYCEMIC ACTION OF 2-CHLOROPROPIONATERobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 1980..toxicity of dichloroacetate and 2-chloropropionate; (d) to determine the effects of 2-chloropropionate on gluconeogenesis, lipogenesis, ureagenesis, and fatty acid oxidation by liver cells; (e) to determine whether 2-..
- HORMONAL REGULATION OF ENERGY METABOLISMTarun Patel; Fiscal Year: 1993The mechanisms by which hormones such as glucagon regulate hepatic gluconeogenesis are fairly well established...
- HORMONAL REGULATION OF ENERGY METABOLISMTarun Patel; Fiscal Year: 1991Regulation of hepatic gluconeogenesis by hormones such as glucagon, insulin, epinephrine, vasopressin and angiotensin is well established...
- GLUCONEOGENESIS & DE NOVO LIPOGENESIS IN CYSTIC FIBROSISDANA HARDIN; Fiscal Year: 2000..Both gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis contribute to HGP; however, their relative contribution to HGP in CF has not been ..
- ALTERNATIVE ROLES FOR PHOSPHOENOLPYRUVATE CARBOXYKINASEPaul Ray; Fiscal Year: 1991..Most studies have used rat tissues to conclude that PEPCK in liver and kidney is essential to gluconeogenesis in all species...
- GLU6PASE AND 6P2K/FBASE GENE REGULATION IN SEPSISSUBIR MAITRA; Fiscal Year: 2001..a key enzyme in the homeostatic regulation of blood glucose concentration, which catalyses the final step in gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis...
- HORMONAL CONTROL OF HEPATIC GLUCONEOGENESIS/GLYCOLYSISAlex Lange; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ENERGY HOMEOSTASIS BY SPECIFIC ORGANS IN SHOCKFrederick Pearce; Fiscal Year: 1992..A critical event leading to loss of tolerance for hypovolemia is the failure of hepatic glucose production (gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis) and lactate clearance...
- CONTROL MECHANISMS OF HEPATIC GLUCOSE OUTPUTJohn Clore; Fiscal Year: 2000..Factors responsible for the increase in HGO are poorly understood. Increased gluconeogenesis is observed in patients with NIDDM...