- Osteoma of the external ear canal
Shih Hsuan Hsiao
Department of Otolaryngology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei
Otol Neurotol 24:960. 2003
- Tubular apocrine adenoma with syringocystadenoma papilliferum arising from the external auditory canal
Chi Kyou Lee
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Cheonan Hospital, Soonchunhyang University School of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea
J Laryngol Otol 119:1004-6. 2005
..Comprehensive review of the literature reveals that TAA in the external auditory canal (EAC) has not yet been reported. We report a case of TAA in the EAC, together with characteristic histopathological findings...
- Three-dimensional evaluation of craniofacial asymmetry: an analysis using computed tomography
Rosa María Yañez-Vico
School of Dentistry, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
Clin Oral Investig 15:729-36. 2011
..The angulation of the mandibular ramus, on both frontal and lateral planes, determines apparent facial asymmetry, as well as conditioning the surgical treatment plan for patients with craniofacial asymmetry...
- A histological examination in the cases of initial diagnosis as chronic otitis media with a polypoid mass in the external ear canal
1st and 2nd Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Auris Nasus Larynx 38:325-8. 2011
to analyse a large series of patients with initial diagnosis of chronic otitis media (COM) with a polypoid mass in the external ear canal (EAC).
- The prevalence of middle ear pathogens in the outer ear canal and the nasopharyngeal cavity of healthy young adults
T de Baere
Laboratory Bacteriology Research, University Hospital Ghent, Gent, Belgium
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:1031-5. 2010
..otitidis from the nasopharynx, its role in the aetiology of OME remains ambiguous because middle ear infecting organisms are considered to invade the middle ear from the nasopharynx through the Eustachian tube...
- Cavernous hemangioma of the external ear canal
Jay B Reeck
Division of Otology, Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Laryngoscope 112:1750-2. 2002
To document the occurrence of a cavernous hemangioma of the external ear canal and to review the relevant literature. STUDY DESIGN Case report and literature review.
- Specification of absorbed-sound power in the ear canal: application to suppression of stimulus frequency otoacoustic emissions
Douglas H Keefe
Boys Town National Research Hospital, 555 North 30th Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 129:779-91. 2011
- Ear-canal reflectance, umbo velocity, and tympanometry in normal-hearing adults
John J Rosowski
Eaton Peabody Laboratory, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Ear Hear 33:19-34. 2012
..This study compares measurements of ear-canal reflectance (ECR) to other objective measurements of middle ear function including audiometry, umbo velocity (VU), and tympanometry in a population of strictly defined normal-hearing ears...
- Comparison between intensity and pressure as measures of sound level in the ear canal
S T Neely
Boys Town National Research Hospital, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 104:2925-34. 1998
..be problematic at frequencies above 2 kHz, because the pressure can vary significantly along the length of the ear canal, due to reflection of sound waves at the eardrum...
- Stimulus-frequency-emission group delay: a test of coherent reflection filtering and a window on cochlear tuning
Christopher A Shera
Eaton Peabody Laboratory of Auditory Physiology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary 243 Charles Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 113:2762-72. 2003
..The measurements and analysis reported here illustrate the rich potential inherent in OAE measurements for obtaining valuable information about basic cochlear properties such as tuning...
- Further assessment of forward pressure level for in situ calibration
Rachel A Scheperle
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 130:3882-92. 2011
..Additionally, FPL calibration appears a reasonable option when quantifying the levels of extended high-frequency (10-18 kHz) stimuli...
- Ultrasonographic evaluation of the external ear canal and tympanic membrane in dogs
Department of Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University, 1370, Sangyeok dong, Buk Ku, Daegu, Korea
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 47:94-8. 2006
Ultrasonographic imaging of the canine external ear canal, tympanic membrane, and tympanic bulla was described in five healthy beagle dogs before and after infusion of saline into the ear canal. Saline served as an acoustic window...
- Estimated variability of real-ear insertion response (REIR) due to loudspeaker type and placement
Michael A Stone
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Int J Audiol 43:271-5. 2004
..of a hearing aid is estimated as the difference between the aided response and the unaided response in the ear canal. Changes in the position of the loudspeaker relative to the head, between the two measurements, may reduce the ..
- Factors affecting the frequency of ear canal and face infestation by Otodectes cynotis in the cat
S T Sotiraki
Laboratory of Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Aristotle University, GR 54006, Thessaloniki, Greece
Vet Parasitol 96:309-15. 2001
..2-9). Cats with mild-to-moderate degree of infestation had 18 times higher chance of exhibiting an ear discharge than those with a severe infestation. The log-odds of mild-to-moderate parasitism were linearly related to the age...
- Syringocystoadenoma papilliferum of the external ear canal: an immunohistochemical study
Acta Otolaryngol 124:761-2. 2004
- Isolating the auditory system from acoustic noise during functional magnetic resonance imaging: examination of noise conduction through the ear canal, head, and body
M E Ravicz
Eaton-Peabody Laboratory, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston 02114, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 109:216-31. 2001
..Specifically, it was examined whether a device for isolating the head and ear canal from sound (a "helmet") could add to the isolation provided by conventional hearing protection devices ..
- Breaking away: violation of distortion emission phase-frequency invariance at low frequencies
Hugh Knowles Center, Roxelyn and Richard Pepper Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 129:3115-22. 2011
..This experiment asked whether the phase behavior of the ear canal DPOAE at low frequencies is driven by the phase of the component from the distortion product (DP) region at 2f(1)..
- Inverse solution of ear-canal area function from reflectance
Daniel M Rasetshwane
Boys Town National Research Hospital, 555 North 30th Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 130:3873-81. 2011
..transformation of acoustical quantities, such as impedance and pressure that are measured at the entrance of the ear canal, to quantities at the eardrum. This transformation often requires knowledge of the shape of the ear canal...
- The effects of receiver placement on probe microphone, performance, and subjective measures with open canal hearing instruments
Lynzee N Alworth
Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology, University of Tennessee, 578 South Stadium Hall, Knoxville, TN 37996 0740, USA
J Am Acad Audiol 21:249-66. 2010
Open canal hearing instruments differ in method of sound delivery to the ear canal, distance between the microphone and the receiver, and physical size of the devices...
- Cavernous haemangioma of external ear canal
Department of Neurology and Otolaryngology, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Laryngol Otol 122:e19. 2008
..The aim of this study was to document the occurrence of a cavernous haemangioma of the external auditory canal, and to review the literature on this pathology...
- Hemangiomas of the external auditory canal
Kimberley D Rutherford
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 31:384-6. 2010
..In addition, we review the relevant literature with respect to epidemiology, presentation, evaluation, pathology, and management options for hemangiomas arising in the external auditory canal...
- Detection of Alloiococcus otitidis in the nasopharynx and in the outer ear canal
Inonu University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Malatya Turky
New Microbiol 25:265-8. 2002
..otitidis, 145 swabs (50, nasopharynx; 95 outer ear canal) collected from 50 children were screened by polymerase chain reaction. A. otitidis DNA was detected in seven (4...
- Development of a non-radiographic cephalometric system
Department of Orthodontics, Tsurumi University School of Dental Medicine, Yokohama City, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Eur J Orthod 25:77-85. 2003
- External auditory canal carcinoma involving the temporomandibular joint: two cases presenting as temporomandibular disorders
Department of Surgery, Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:465-9. 2002
- Mode of parotid involvement in external auditory canal carcinoma
Jae Young Choi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Laryngol Otol 117:951-4. 2003
- Cavernous hemangioma of the bony external auditory canal
Tsung Han Yang
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:890-1. 2006
- Posture systematically alters ear-canal reflectance and DPOAE properties
Susan E Voss
Picker Engineering Program, Smith College, 51 College Lane, Northampton, MA 01063, USA
Hear Res 263:43-51. 2010
..Intra-subject variability, assessed via standard deviations for each subject's multiple measurements, were generally smaller in the upright position relative to the tilted position...
- Ceruminous adenomas: a clinicopathologic study of 41 cases with a review of the literature
Lester D R Thompson
Department of Endocrine Otorhinolaryngic Head and Neck Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:308-18. 2004
..Ceruminous gland neoplasms are rare neoplasms. To date, a large clinicopathologic study of benign ceruminous gland neoplasms has not been reported...
- Isolation and antimicrobial susceptibility of bacteria from external ear canal of cancer patients at Shafa Cancer Hospital-Ahwaz
School of Paramedical Sciences, Ahwaz Jundi Shapour University of Medical Sciences, Ahwaz, Iran
J Cancer Res Ther 2:17-9. 2006
A bacteriological study of external ear canal was performed in 52 hospitalized cancer patients and 42 non hospitalized cancer patients at Shafa hospital, Ahwaz...
- Hemangioma of the external auditory canal
Charles J Limb
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 0910, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 126:74-5. 2002
- Effects of ear-canal pressurization on middle-ear bone- and air-conduction responses
Adaptive Technologies, Inc, 2020 Kraft Dr, Suite 3040, Blacksburg, VA 24060, USA
Hear Res 263:204-15. 2010
..this mid-frequency BC noise transmission is to introduce a positive or negative static pressure in the ear canal, which is known to reduce BC as well as AC hearing sensitivity...
- A rare case of a sebaceous nevus in the external auditory canal
Nici Eddy Bothwell
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, Tacoma, Wash, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 82:38-41. 2003
..This case report adds the sebaceous nevus to the differential diagnosis of external auditory canal lesions and provides essential information about this rare mass...
- Irritated seborrheic keratosis of the external ear canal
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Saiseikai Kyoto Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Pathol Int 53:622-6. 2003
..skin of the trunk, extremities, head and neck of an elderly person, it is uncommon to originate in the external ear canal. Even rarer, an irritated subtype may arise in this location...
- Sound pressure distribution and power flow within the gerbil ear canal from 100 Hz to 80 kHz
Michael E Ravicz
Eaton Peabody Laboratory, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, 243 Charles Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 122:2154-73. 2007
Sound pressure was mapped in the bony ear canal of gerbils during closed-field sound stimulation at frequencies from 0.1 to 80 kHz. A 1.27-mm-diam probe-tube microphone or a 0...
- Pigmented nevus of the external auditory canal
Fei Peng Lee
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei Medical University, University Hospital, 252 Wu Hsing Street, Taipei 110, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:124-8. 2006
..To present the clinical experience during an 18-year period of a series of 11 cases of pigmented nevus of the external auditory canal (EAC)...
- Evaluation of a local anesthetic delivery system for the postoperative analgesic management of canine total ear canal ablation--a randomized, controlled, double-blinded study
Tina M Wolfe
Cincinnati Animal Referral and Emergency Center, Cincinnati, OH 45249, USA
Vet Anaesth Analg 33:328-39. 2006
..To determine if a constant rate local anesthetic delivery system is more effective than continuous intravenous (IV) morphine infusion for postoperative analgesia...
- An intradermal nevus of the external auditory meatus
K Cagdas Kazikdas
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 263:253-5. 2006
..Thus, this is a unique case of intradermal nevus obstructing the external ear canal with the patient presenting with progressive hearing loss...
- Acoustic recordings in human ear canals to sounds at different locations
Clinton A Kuwada
Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030 3401, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 142:615-7. 2010
..For humans, we embedded microphones in ear molds that were custom fitted to the subject's ear canal. For the ball, the microphones were flush with the surface at +/- 90 degrees azimuths on the equator...
- Occurrence and population size of Malassezia spp. in the external ear canal of dogs and cats both healthy and with otitis
Dipartimento di Sanità e Benessere Animale, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Mycopathologia 160:143-9. 2005
..to evaluate the occurrence, risk factors and population size of different species of Malassezia in the external ear canal of dogs and cats with and without otitis externa...
- Auditory localization of nearby sources. Head-related transfer functions
D S Brungart
Research Laboratory of Electronics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 106:1465-79. 1999
..Overall, the results suggest that binaural cues play an important role in auditory distance perception for nearby sources...
- Use of a continuous, local infusion of bupivacaine for postoperative analgesia in dogs undergoing total ear canal ablation
MaryAnn G Radlinsky
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506 5606, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 227:414-9. 2005
To determine whether addition of a continuous, local infusion of bupivacaine would improve postoperative analgesia in dogs undergoing total ear canal ablation.
- Emergency department management of foreign bodies of the external ear canal in children
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Osteopathic Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Stratford, NJ, U S A
Otol Neurotol 23:473-5. 2002
..To evaluate the management of foreign bodies in the external auditory canal (EAC) in pediatric patients by emergency department personnel...
- Head-related transfer functions of the barn owl: measurement and neural responses
C H Keller
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene 97403, USA
Hear Res 118:13-34. 1998
..The inner ca. 1 cm of the ear canal was found to contribute little to the directionality of the HRTFs...
- Modeling of sound transmission from ear canal to cochlea
Rong Z Gan
School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering and Bioengineering Center, University of Oklahoma, 865 Asp Avenue, Room 200, Norman, OK 73019, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 35:2180-95. 2007
A 3-D finite element (FE) model of the human ear consisting of the external ear canal, middle ear, and cochlea is reported in this paper...
- Para-aural abscessation following traumatic ear canal separation in a dog
N A Connery
Department of Veterinary Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Ireland
J Small Anim Pract 42:253-6. 2001
Traumatic ear canal separation is rare in animals, with only eight dogs and one cat reported with the condition in the English language literature. Para-aural abscessation occurred in six of these nine animals...
- Two-step external ear canal construction in atresia as part of auricular reconstruction
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Prosper Hospital, Academic Teaching Hospital, Ruhr University Bochum, Recklinghausen, Germany
Laryngoscope 111:708-14. 2001
One of the common complications of atresia surgery is restenosis of the surgically constructed external ear canal. To avoid this complication, a new two-step technique of creating an external ear canal was developed and evaluated.
- [Bilateral bone anchored hearing aid management of children with external ear dysplasia and/or ear canal atresia]
Institut für Phoniatrie und Pädaudiologie, Vestische Kinderklinik, Universitat Witten Herdecke, Dr Friedrich Steiner Strasse 5, 45711 Datteln
HNO 50:495-500. 2002
..The literature gives hardly any information about the benefits for children of using a bilateral bone-anchored hearing aid (BAHA) as opposed to a bilateral conventional bone conducting hearing aid...
- Keratosis obturans and external ear canal cholesteatoma: how and why we should distinguish between these conditions
R A P Persaud
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital London, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 29:577-81. 2004
Keratosis obturans and external ear canal cholesteatomas have been considered as separate entities for the last 20 years, after being regarded as variations of the same disease for at least 87 years...
- Surgery of the ear and pinna
Otto I Lanz
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Virginia Maryland Regional College
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 34:567-99, viii. 2004
..and common surgical procedures of the ear and pinna, including aural hematomas, lateral wall resection, vertical ear canal resection, total ear canal ablation and lateral bulla osteotomy, partial pinna resection, and feline ..
- Canal wall down tympanomastoidectomy: the 'on-disease' approach for retraction pockets and cholesteatoma
D S Grewal
Department of Ear, Nose, Throat and Head and Neck Surgery, Topiwala National Medical College and B Y L Nair Charitable Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
J Laryngol Otol 121:832-9. 2007
..Canal wall down tympanomastoidectomy performed by the on-disease approach ensures complete eradication of the disease, with excellent curative as well as functional results...
- Mastoid obliteration combined with soft-wall reconstruction of posterior ear canal
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki, 852 8501, Japan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:867-71. 2007
..cavity problem, and 4 ears with adhesive-type COM, who had soft-wall reconstruction of the posterior ear canal and mastoid obliteration using mainly bone powder following mastoidectomy, were evaluated their postoperative ..
- Butterfly cartilage graft inlay tympanoplasty for large perforations
Marcielle A Ghanem
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1813-6. 2006
..Butterfly graft inlay tympanoplasty is a well-established technique for the repair of small perforations. However, the efficacy of the technique for medium and large tympanic membrane perforations remains unknown...
- Leiomyoma of the external auditory canal--a case report and brief review of the literature
Shiou Yu Yeh
Department of Otolaryngology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, 21, Sec 2 Nan Ya S Rd, Pan Chiao, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:397-9. 2005
..The proper treatment of choice is complete excision. In case of an external auditory canal tumor, even if it is believed to be benign before surgery, precise pathologic examination is required to exclude the possibility of malignancy...
- [High duplication of an internal jugular vein]
F C Uecker
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Dresden
Laryngorhinootologie 86:592-4. 2007
..We report on a duplicated internal jugular vein, which is a rare anatomic anomaly and discuss aetiology and appearance of this malformation and the possible affecting of the accessory nerve...
- Deep temporal fascial-periosteal flap for canal wall down mastoidectomy
Dong Hee Lee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Laryngoscope 116:2229-31. 2006
- The Z-meatoplasty for modified radical mastoidectomy in children
David E Tunkel
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 0910, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:1319-22. 2006
..To determine the effectiveness of the Z-meatoplasty technique for enlargement of the external auditory meatus of children undergoing modified radical mastoidectomy...
- Retrograde mastoidectomy with canal wall reconstruction: a follow-up report
John L Dornhoffer
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:653-60. 2004
..To evaluate long-term results of retrograde mastoidectomy with canal wall reconstruction as a single-stage technique for cholesteatoma removal...
- Canal wall reconstruction tympanomastoidectomy with mastoid obliteration
Laryngoscope 116:1299; author reply 1299. 2006
- Medial canal fibrosis: surgical technique, results, and a proposed grading system
Vincent Yu Wen Lin
Department of Otolaryngology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Otol Neurotol 26:825-9. 2005
..To describe the surgical technique for removal of medial canal fibrosis and to propose a classification for grading postoperative surgical outcome and to correlate this with hearing results...
- [Imaging of the temporal bone. An overview]
Klinik für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Neuroradiologie, Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes Homburg Saar
Radiologe 45:816-27. 2005
..For examining the labyrinth system and interior auditory channel, MRI is the method of choice. This article gives an overview of the anatomy of the temporal bone and describes the most important pathologies...
- Squamous cell carcinoma in situ of the external auditory canal
Min Tsan Shu
Departments of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Laryngol Otol 120:684-6. 2006
..No tumour recurrence was noted in the fourth and third post-operative year for the first and second patient respectively. We suggest that EAC carcinoma can be detected early and treated...
- Gerbilline cholesteatoma development. Part II: temporal histopathologic changes in the tympanic membrane and middle ear
Steven P Tinling
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, Davis, California 95616, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:953-60. 2006
..Determine the sequence of gross and histopathologic change to the normal middle ear (ME), tympanic membrane (TM), and external auditory canal (EAC) during spontaneous gerbilline cholesteatoma development...
- [External auditory canal reconstruction and mastoid cavity obliteration with composite multifractured osteoperiosteal flap: a preliminary study]
Department of Otolaryngology, Turkiye Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 16:127-31. 2006
..We used inferior pedicled composite multifractured osteoperiosteal flap, which is our original surgical approach to obliterate the mastoid cavity, reconstruct the external auditory canal (EAC), and to prevent open cavity problems...
- A case of osteoma with cholesteatoma in the external auditory canal
Dong Hee Lee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, South Korea
Auris Nasus Larynx 32:281-4. 2005
..The canal wall down mastoidectomy and tympanoplasty successfully removed the osteoma and the cholesteatoma, and no recurrence or complications had occurred in the first 6 months postoperatively...
- [Expansion of an ceruminous adenoma into the middle ear]
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Klinik und Poliklinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, 30625 Hannover
Laryngorhinootologie 85:444-7. 2006
..Owing to a high recurrence rate, complete surgical removal is necessary. Despite its rare occurrence, a ceruminal gland adenoma must be taken into consideration in the differential diagnosis of individual cholesteatoma cases...
- Fine-needle biopsy of external ear canal masses in the cat: cytologic results and histologic correlations in 27 cases
Davide De Lorenzi
Clinica Veterinaria S Marco, Padua, Italy Clinica Veterinaria Gran Sasso, Milan, Italy
Vet Clin Pathol 34:100-5. 2005
The cytologic diagnosis of ear canal tumors is difficult or impossible by swab alone because cell exfoliation may be poor and neoplastic cells may be masked by associated inflammation...
- Three-dimensional virtual model of the human temporal bone: a stand-alone, downloadable teaching tool
Eaton Peabody Laboratory of Auditory Physiology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Department of Otology and Laryngology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:452-7. 2006
..To develop a three-dimensional virtual model of a human temporal bone based on serial histologic sections...
- [Transmastoidal resection of an endaural encephalocele--a case report]
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen, Ohrenkrankheiten, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Charite Campus Mitte
Laryngorhinootologie 84:273-6. 2005
..Nevertheless there are recent studies preferring the transtemporal or combined approach because of the better survey...
- Glomus jugulare tumor
Paul K Holden
Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Otol Neurotol 26:312-3. 2005
- A case of otomycosis caused by Aspergillus sclerotiorum
J Dermatol 31:949-50. 2004
- Traumatic cholesteatoma presenting as a brain abscess: a case report
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Medical College of Virginia Hospitals and Physicians, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Otol Neurotol 26:65-7. 2005
..To discuss the clinical aspects and management of traumatic cholesteatomas of the temporal bone...
- [The outcome of treatments for carcinoma of the external auditory canal]
CHRU Grenoble, Service d Oto Rhino Laryngologie, F 38043 Grenoble 09, France
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 126:165-70. 2005
..A retrospective analysis of management and survival of patients treated for temporal bone carcinoma...
- Assessment of visualization of structures in the middle ear via Tos modified canal wall-up mastoidectomy versus classic canal wall-up and canal wall-down mastoidectomies
Otorhinolaryngology Department, Trakya University, Faculty of Medicine, Edirne, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:851-6. 2007
..The aim of this prospective study is to evaluate the differences in the ability to view structures in the middle ear between Tos modified canal wall-up mastoidectomy and classic canal wall-up (CWU) and canal wall-down (CWD) mastoidectomies...
- Atypical indications for OtoScan laser-assisted myringotomy
J P Bent
Department of Otolaryngology, Albert Einstein School of Medicine, New York Otolaryngology Institute, New York 10021, USA
Laryngoscope 111:87-9. 2001
..CONCLUSIONS: Although this report contains preliminary data, the data suggest that OtoLAM may provide an additional option in the care of certain patients who have previously been treated with myringotomy tubes...
- Management of cholesteatoma: status of the canal wall
Mark J Syms
Section of Neurotology, Department of Neurosurgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85013 4480, USA
Laryngoscope 113:443-8. 2003
..Management of chronic otitis media with cholesteatoma remains controversial. The purpose of the study is to examine factors associated with the surgical approach to manage cholesteatoma...
- Imaging of postoperative middle ear, mastoid, and external auditory canal
Anil G Rao
Department of Radiology, Rush Presbyterian Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 23:460-5. 2002
- Assessment of total middle ear reconstruction by patient survey correlated with clinical findings
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 30:15-20. 2003
..Our objective was to assess, by patient survey and clinical examination, the results of correctional total middle ear reconstruction of problematic mastoid cavities following radical or modified radical mastoidectomy...
- Improvements to staged canal wall up tympanoplasty for middle ear cholesteatoma
Department of Otolaryngology, Takanoko Hospital, Ehime, Japan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:913-7. 2007
..To describe our improvements to staged canal wall up tympanoplasty with mastoidectomy (SCUT) for middle ear cholesteatoma, and to show more successful outcomes of the surgery compared with our data previously reported...
- Management of chronic otitis by middle ear obliteration with blind sac closure of the external auditory canal
Gruppo Otologico Piacenza, Rome, Italy
Otol Neurotol 29:19-22. 2008
..Description of a technique of middle ear obliteration (MEO) with blind sac closure of the external auditory canal with discussion of the indications for its use in cases of recalcitrant chronic otitis and in far advanced disease...
- Evolution of a paradigm for free tissue transfer reconstruction of lateral temporal bone defects
Eben L Rosenthal
Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Head Neck 30:589-94. 2008
..Multiple pedicled flaps have been used to reconstruct these defects. Free flaps have been shown to provide the best tissue for these reconstructions. We review our experience and present an algorithm for their reconstruction...
- Imaging of hearing loss
Michele B St Martin
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Florida, PO Box 100264, 1600 SW Archer Road M228, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 41:157-78, vi-vii. 2008
..In general, the external auditory canal, middle ear space, mastoid, petrous apex, and otic capsule are best visualized with CT, whereas suspicion of retrocochlear pathology warrants MRI...
- Nodular fasciitis of the external auditory canal in six Egyptian children
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 72:643-6. 2008
..Nodular fasciitis of external auditory canal may mimic a malignant tumor due to its progressive course, so it was the aim of this study to focus on a new etiology for aural masses to avoid unnecessary aggressive treatment...
- Effect of a large-sized silicone sheet upon recovery of mastoid aeration after mastoidectomy
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki, Japan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:738-42. 2008
..To evaluate the effect of our large-sized silicone sheet upon postoperative recovery of mastoid aeration in ears after surgery including mastoidectomy and soft-wall reconstruction (SWR)...
- Anteroposterior approach with split ear canal for cochlear implantation in severe malformations
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Hacettepe University Medical Faculty, Ankara, Turkey
Otol Neurotol 23:39-42; discussion 42-3. 2002
To present an anteroposterior approach with split ear canal technique in severe malformed ears in which cochlear implantation is not possible through the standard facial recess approach.
- Postauricular periosteal-pericranial flap for mastoid obliteration and canal wall down tympanomastoidectomy
Mitchell J Ramsey
Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:873-8. 2004
..To describe an effective technique for mastoid cavity obliteration in canal wall down tympanomastoidectomy for chronic otitis media and review its efficacy in producing a dry, low-maintenance, small mastoid cavity...
- Management of anterior epitympanic cholesteatoma: expectations after epitympanic approach and canal wall reconstruction
Larry G Duckert
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7923, USA
Otol Neurotol 23:8-13. 2002
..However, validation of this theory is lacking...
- Reconstruction of the posterior auditory canal with hydroxyapatite-coated titanium
II ENT Clinic, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Otolaryngol 30:330-3. 2001
..To date, there has been no evidence of cholesteatoma recurrence. The preliminary results remain encouraging. Larger series and longer follow-up, however, are advisable to prove real validity...
- Bilateral squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory canals
Stephen G Wolfe
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Laryngoscope 112:1003-5. 2002
..To report a case of bilateral squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory canals and to present a management algorithm for this difficult clinical scenario...
- Middle-ear mechanics of Type III tympanoplasty (stapes columella): I. Experimental studies
Ritvik P Mehta
Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Otol Neurotol 24:176-85. 2003
..To investigate the mechanics of Type III tympanoplasty by developing a cadaveric temporal bone model...
- External auditory canal cholesteatoma: clinical and imaging spectrum
Marta E Heilbrun
Department of Radiology, Division of Neuroradiology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 24:751-6. 2003
..In this large case series, we aimed to define its imaging features and to determine the characteristics most important to its clinical management...
- Liposarcoma of temporal bone: a case report
Department of Otolaryngology, Takarazuka Municipal Hospital, 4 5 1, Kohama, Takarazuka, Hyogo 665 0827, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:511-3. 2007
..Neither local recurrence nor distant metastasis has been detected for 24 months after the first surgery. The favorable outcome in this patient was probably due to the histological type of his liposarcoma...
- Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma of the temporal bone
ENT Department, Victoria Hospital, Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Ear Nose Throat J 86:218, 220-2. 2007
..Despite surgery and chemotherapy, the patient died of his disease within 3 months of presentation...
- [Post-traumatic cholesteatoma of temporal bone]
Katedra i Klinika Chorób Uszu, Nosa, Gardła i Krtani AM w Gdańsku
Otolaryngol Pol 61:207-10. 2007
..bone years after trauma may prove hindered healing, which promotes migration of epithelium from external ear canal into the middle ear...
- [Reconstruction of the wall of the canal]
Service Oto-neurologique, , CHU Lille, France
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 43:7-18. 1989
..The tolerance is good. The two procedures are variable and reliable in 80% of cases...
- Invasive fungal and bacterial infections of the temporal bone
Sam J Marzo
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Loyola University of Chicago, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Laryngoscope 113:1503-7. 2003
..the importance of surgical therapy in treating invasive polymicrobial infections of the temporal bone, to discuss the importance of antifungal therapy, and to review the differential diagnosis of ear canal granulomatous disorders.
- [HRCT findings in congenital aural atresia]
Osmangazi Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Radyoloji Anabilim Dali, Eskisehir
Tani Girisim Radyol 9:47-53. 2003
..To define high resolution computed tomography findings in the external, middle and inner ear of patients with congenital aural atresia and to emphasize the importance of these findings in the preoperative evaluation...
- Surgical treatment of cholesteatoma in children
ENT Department, Ministry of Health, Ankara Research and Training Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 67:867-72. 2003
..To present our experience in the surgical treatment of cholesteatoma in children...
- Mitomycin-C in the postsurgical ear canal
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Weill College of Medicine of Cornell University, New York, New York, 10021, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:882-6. 2003
..Study design and setting We conducted a prospective pilot study at a tertiary care institution...
- Posterior and attic wall osteoplasty: hearing results and recurrence rates in cholesteatoma
Department of Otosurgery and Otoneurosurgery, Az Ospedaliera Università, Padua, Italy
Otol Neurotol 23:14-7. 2002
..To assess the efficacy of a surgical technique, the temporary attic and posterior canal wall osteoplasty, in preventing cholesteatoma recurrence...
- Chronic otitis externa/media with total ear canal ablation and bulla curettage in a North American bison (Bison bison)
S T Ferrell
Companion Avian and Exotic Pet Medicine Service, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 32:393-5. 2001
..A total ear canal ablation with bulla curettage was performed, and cefazolin-impregnated polymethacrylate beads were left within ..
- First branchial cleft sinus presenting with cholesteatoma and external auditory canal atresia
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Firat University School of Medicine, Tip Fakultesi, KBB Anabilim Dali, 23119, Elazig, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 67:811-4. 2003
..The surgical management of these lesions may be performed, both the complete excision of the sinus and reconstructive otologic surgery...