Summary: Married or single individuals who share sexual relations.
- Lin H, He N, Ding Y, Qiu D, Zhu W, Liu X, et al. Tracing sexual contacts of HIV-infected individuals in a rural prefecture, Eastern China. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:533 pubmed publisher..Contact tracing is useful for identifying new HIV infections from spouses or long term sexual partners of HIV-infected individuals...
- Xia Y, Zhang D, Li X, Chen W, He Q, Jahn H, et al. Sexual dysfunction during methadone maintenance treatment and its influence on patient's life and treatment: a qualitative study in South China. Psychol Health Med. 2013;18:321-9 pubmed publisher..Response to patient's SD and SD-related problems from clinicians was inadequate. There is a need to develop a clinical guide to deal with both SD itself and SD-related problems. ..
- Lisco C, Parrott D, Tharp A. The role of heavy episodic drinking and hostile sexism in men's sexual aggression toward female intimate partners. Addict Behav. 2012;37:1264-70 pubmed publisher..No such interactive effect emerged for men's endorsement of benevolent sexism. These results have important implications for understanding cumulative risk factors for the perpetration of sexual aggression toward intimates. ..
- Kenyon C, Buyze J, Colebunders R. HIV prevalence by race co-varies closely with concurrency and number of sex partners in South Africa. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64080 pubmed publisher..The differences in sexual behavior in general, and the prevalence of concurrency and the number of sexual partners in particular, offer a plausible and parsimonious cause to explain a part of the differing prevalences of HIV ..
- Phillips A, Cambiano V, Nakagawa F, Brown A, Lampe F, Rodger A, et al. Increased HIV incidence in men who have sex with men despite high levels of ART-induced viral suppression: analysis of an extensively documented epidemic. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55312 pubmed publisher..Increased condom use should be promoted to avoid the erosion of the benefits of ART and to prevent other serious sexually transmitted infections. ..
- Bourne C, Zablotska I, Williamson A, Calmette Y, Guy R. Promotion and uptake of a new online partner notification and retesting reminder service for gay men. Sex Health. 2012;9:360-7 pubmed publisher..the 'Tell them' service allowing visitors to forward anonymous e-postcard or short message services (SMS) to sexual partners who may have been exposed to an STI, and the 'Remind me' service allowing visitors to register for a 3-, 6- ..
- Flicker S, Cerulli C, Swogger M, Talbot N. Depressive and posttraumatic symptoms among women seeking protection orders against intimate partners: relations to coping strategies and perceived responses to abuse disclosure. Violence Against Women. 2012;18:420-36 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest that mental health providers may find it useful to address these negative styles of coping while public education campaigns should target victim blaming. ..
- Maughan Brown B. Variation in concurrent sexual partnerships and sexually transmitted diseases among African men in Cape Town, South Africa. Sex Transm Dis. 2012;39:537-42 pubmed publisher..Partnership dynamics must be taken into account in studies assessing the role of concurrency in STD transmission. ..
- Kouyoumdjian F, Calzavara L, Bondy S, O CAMPO P, Serwadda D, Nalugoda F, et al. Intimate partner violence is associated with incident HIV infection in women in Uganda. AIDS. 2013;27:1331-8 pubmed publisher..The prevention of IPV should be a public health priority, and could contribute to HIV prevention. ..
- Henley C, Forgwei G, Welty T, Golden M, Adimora A, Shields R, et al. Scale-up and case-finding effectiveness of an HIV partner services program in Cameroon: an innovative HIV prevention intervention for developing countries. Sex Transm Dis. 2013;40:909-14 pubmed publisher..voluntary counseling and testing, and inpatient facilities were interviewed to collect information on their sexual partners. Partners were contacted via telephone or home visit to notify, test, and enroll those found to be HIV ..
- Moyer V. Screening for intimate partner violence and abuse of elderly and vulnerable adults: U.S. preventive services task force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2013;158:478-86 pubmed publisher..The USPSTF concludes that the current evidence is insufficient to assess the balance of benefits and harms of screening all elderly or vulnerable adults (physically or mentally dysfunctional) for abuse and neglect (I statement). ..
- Orne Gliemann J, Balestre E, Tchendjou P, Miric M, Darak S, Butsashvili M, et al. Increasing HIV testing among male partners. AIDS. 2013;27:1167-77 pubmed publisher..COC could contribute to the efforts towards eliminating mother-to-child transmission of HIV. ..
- VOLPE E, Hardie T, Cerulli C, Sommers M, Morrison Beedy D. What's age got to do with it? Partner age difference, power, intimate partner violence, and sexual risk in urban adolescents. J Interpers Violence. 2013;28:2068-87 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, for clinicians and researchers, these findings underscore the heightened risk associated with partner age differences and impact of relationship dynamics on sexual risk behavior. ..
- Jones D, Peltzer K, Villar Loubet O, Shikwane E, Cook R, Vamos S, et al. Reducing the risk of HIV infection during pregnancy among South African women: a randomized controlled trial. AIDS Care. 2013;25:702-9 pubmed publisher..Male involvement in pregnancy may be an important strategy to reduce sexual risk behavior and HIV transmission. Results support the utility of group interventions to enhance communication and HIV knowledge among pregnant couples. ..
- Urada L, Morisky D, Pimentel Simbulan N, Silverman J, Strathdee S. Condom negotiations among female sex workers in the Philippines: environmental influences. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33282 pubmed publisher..Interventions should reduce barriers to condom negotiation for FSWs trafficked/coerced into their work, substance using, and impacted by economic conditions and policies that do not support condom availability. ..
- Przybyla S, Golin C, Widman L, Grodensky C, Earp J, Suchindran C. Serostatus disclosure to sexual partners among people living with HIV: examining the roles of partner characteristics and stigma. AIDS Care. 2013;25:566-72 pubmed publisher..among people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) is an important component of preventing HIV transmission to sexual partners. Due to barriers like stigma, however, many PLWHA do not disclose their serostatus to all sexual partners...
- van Griensven F, Thienkrua W, McNicholl J, Wimonsate W, Chaikummao S, Chonwattana W, et al. Evidence of an explosive epidemic of HIV infection in a cohort of men who have sex with men in Thailand. AIDS. 2013;27:825-32 pubmed publisher..The high HIV prevalence and incidence in this cohort of Bangkok MSM documents an explosive epidemic. Additional preventive interventions for MSM are urgently needed. ..
- Zentner M, Mitura K. Stepping out of the caveman's shadow: nations' gender gap predicts degree of sex differentiation in mate preferences. Psychol Sci. 2012;23:1176-85 pubmed publisher..Both studies show that gender differences in mate preferences with presumed evolutionary roots decline proportionally to increases in nations' gender parity. ..
- Wagenaar B, Christiansen Lindquist L, Khosropour C, Salazar L, Benbow N, Prachand N, et al. Willingness of US men who have sex with men (MSM) to participate in Couples HIV Voluntary Counseling and Testing (CVCT). PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42953 pubmed publisher..We evaluated willingness to participate in CVCT and associated factors among MSM in the United States...
- de Lima Rocha M, Faria F, Gonçalves L, Souza M, Fernandes P, Fernandes A. Prevalence of DNA-HPV in male sexual partners of HPV-infected women and concordance of viral types in infected couples. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40988 pubmed publisher..with genital warts and anorectal cancer, as well as to the role men play in HPV transmission to their female sexual partners. Asymptomatic men (n?=?43), whose sexual partners had presented cervical HPV infection, were enrolled in this ..
- Bradshaw C, Walker J, Fairley C, Chen M, Tabrizi S, Donovan B, et al. Prevalent and incident bacterial vaginosis are associated with sexual and contraceptive behaviours in young Australian women. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57688 pubmed publisher..These data support the concept that sexual activity is strongly associated with the development of BV and AF and that use of an OCC is associated with reduced risk. ..
- Erku T, Megabiaw B, Wubshet M. Predictors of HIV status disclosure to sexual partners among people living with HIV/AIDS in Ethiopia. Pan Afr Med J. 2012;13:87 pubmedDisclosure of HIV positive sero-status to sexual partners, friends or relatives is useful for prevention and care...
- Nelson H, Bougatsos C, Blazina I. Screening women for intimate partner violence: a systematic review to update the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation. Ann Intern Med. 2012;156:796-808, W-279, W-280, W-281, W-282 pubmed publisher..Screening women for IPV can provide benefits that vary by population, while potential adverse effects have minimal effect on most women. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. ..
- Heiligenberg M, Wermeling P, van Rooijen M, Urbanus A, Speksnijder A, Heijman T, et al. Recreational drug use during sex and sexually transmitted infections among clients of a city sexually transmitted infections clinic in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Sex Transm Dis. 2012;39:518-27 pubmed publisher..We assessed the prevalence of drug use during sex and the associations between such use and STI (chlamydia, gonorrhea, or syphilis)...
- Clark J, Salvatierra J, Segura E, Salazar X, Konda K, Perez Brumer A, et al. Moderno love: sexual role-based identities and HIV/STI prevention among men who have sex with men in Lima, Peru. AIDS Behav. 2013;17:1313-28 pubmed publisher..The concept of role-based sexual identities provides a framework for HIV prevention for Latin American MSM that integrates sexual identities, practices, partnerships, and networks. ..
- Mumtaz G, Kouyoumjian S, Hilmi N, Zidouh A, El Rhilani H, Alami K, et al. The distribution of new HIV infections by mode of exposure in Morocco. Sex Transm Infect. 2013;89 Suppl 3:iii49-56 pubmed publisher..67%) of new HIV infections occurred among FSWs, clients of FSWs, MSM and IDUs, or among the stable sexual partners of these populations. Casual heterosexual sex contributed 7% of HIV infections...
- Althaus C, Heijne J, Low N. Towards more robust estimates of the transmissibility of Chlamydia trachomatis. Sex Transm Dis. 2012;39:402-4 pubmed publisher..Using a mathematical model that takes into account the dynamics of chlamydia transmission and sexual partnership formation, we report refined estimates of chlamydia transmissibility in heterosexual partnerships...
- Maughan Brown B. Concurrent sexual partnerships among young adults in Cape Town, South Africa: how is concurrency changing?. Sex Health. 2013;10:246-52 pubmed publisher..High and increasing levels of concurrency within most recent partnerships among Black men highlight this group as a potential focus for such efforts. ..
- Hussen S, Bowleg L, Sangaramoorthy T, Malebranche D. Parents, peers and pornography: the influence of formative sexual scripts on adult HIV sexual risk behaviour among Black men in the USA. Cult Health Sex. 2012;14:863-77 pubmed publisher..Implications for future research are discussed. ..
- Grov C, Crow T. Attitudes about and HIV risk related to the "most common place" MSM meet their sex partners: comparing men from bathhouses, bars/clubs, and Craigslist.org. AIDS Educ Prev. 2012;24:102-16 pubmed publisher..g., attitudes toward HIV status disclosure, and perceptions about barebacking, anonymous sex, and alcohol use). Outreach providers should consider these contextualizing aspects as they continue to retool their efforts. ..
- Marshall T. Facebook surveillance of former romantic partners: associations with postbreakup recovery and personal growth. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2012;15:521-6 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings suggest that exposure to an ex-partner through Facebook may obstruct the process of healing and moving on from a past relationship. ..
- Chakravarty D, Hoff C, Neilands T, Darbes L. Rates of testing for HIV in the presence of serodiscordant UAI among HIV-negative gay men in committed relationships. AIDS Behav. 2012;16:1944-8 pubmed..MSM in primary relationships are testing at lower rates than the general MSM population, even after potential exposure to HIV. Testing and prevention messages for MSM should factor in relationship status. ..
- Amoran O. Predictors of disclosure of sero-status to sexual partners among people living with HIV/AIDS in Ogun State, Nigeria. Niger J Clin Pract. 2012;15:385-90 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence and determinants of HIV status disclosure to sexual partners among People Living with HIV/ AIDS (PLWAs) in Ogun state, Nigeria...
- Rujumba J, Neema S, Byamugisha R, Tylleskar T, Tumwine J, Heggenhougen H. "Telling my husband I have HIV is too heavy to come out of my mouth": pregnant women's disclosure experiences and support needs following antenatal HIV testing in eastern Uganda. J Int AIDS Soc. 2012;15:17429 pubmedDisclosure of HIV serostatus by women to their sexual partners is critical for the success of the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) programme as an integrated service in antenatal care...
- Gaikwad S, Bhende A, Nidhi G, Saggurti N, Ranebennur V. How effective is community mobilisation in HIV prevention among highly diverse sex workers in urban settings? The Aastha intervention experience in Mumbai and Thane districts, India. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2012;66 Suppl 2:ii69-77 pubmed publisher..Future HIV prevention interventions in India and elsewhere may include collectivisation as the core strategy within HIV prevention programmes. ..
- Reniers G, Tfaily R. Polygyny, partnership concurrency, and HIV transmission in Sub-Saharan Africa. Demography. 2012;49:1075-101 pubmed publisher..frequency in conjugal dyads of polygynous marriages (coital dilution), and (4) the restricted access to sexual partners for younger men in populations where polygynous men presumably monopolize the women in their community (..
- Stott Miller M, Wright J, Stanford J. MSMB gene variant alters the association between prostate cancer and number of sexual partners. Prostate. 2013;73:1803-9 pubmed publisher..Number of sexual partners and a history of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) have been positively associated with PCa risk, and ..
- Parmar P, Agrawal P, Greenough P, Goyal R, Kayden S. Sexual violence among host and refugee population in Djohong District, Eastern Cameroon. Glob Public Health. 2012;7:974-94 pubmed publisher..16, 95% CI 0.08-0.34). Sexual violence is common among refugees and host population in Eastern Cameroon. Most often, perpetrators are partners/husbands or armed groups. ..
- Ferreira A, Young T, Mathews C, Zunza M, Low N. Strategies for partner notification for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD002843 pubmed publisherPartner notification (PN) is the process whereby sexual partners of an index patient are informed of their exposure to a sexually transmitted infection (STI) and the need to obtain treatment...
- Flowers P, Knussen C, Li J, McDaid L. Has testing been normalized? An analysis of changes in barriers to HIV testing among men who have sex with men between 2000 and 2010 in Scotland, UK. HIV Med. 2013;14:92-8 pubmed publisher..Interventions should be designed and evaluated that attend to both the biomedical and the psychosocial aspects of HIV testing (e.g. the meaning of positive test results, the sexual exclusion of positive men, and HIV-related stigma). ..
- Villar Loubet O, Cook R, Chakhtoura N, Peltzer K, Weiss S, Shikwane M, et al. HIV knowledge and sexual risk behavior among pregnant couples in South Africa: the PartnerPlus project. AIDS Behav. 2013;17:479-87 pubmed publisher..Results from this pilot study provide support for the integration of HIV risk reduction interventions for both women and men into existing PMTCT services during and following pregnancy. ..
- Newby K, Brown K, French D, Wallace L. Which outcome expectancies are important in determining young adults' intentions to use condoms with casual sexual partners?: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:133 pubmed publisher..outcome expectancies which were most important in determining whether they would use condoms with casual sexual partners. People with lower safe sex intentions were more likely than those with safer sex intentions to select all ..
- Peltzer K, Jones D, Weiss S, Villar Loubet O, Shikwane E. Sexual risk, serostatus and intimate partner violence among couples during pregnancy in rural South Africa. AIDS Behav. 2013;17:508-16 pubmed publisher..factors included lack of knowledge of partners' HIV serostatus, unprotected sexual intercourse and multiple sexual partners. Among men, multivariate logistic regression identified awareness of HIV negative partner status, multiple ..
- MacGregor J, Wathen N, Kothari A, Hundal P, Naimi A. Strategies to promote uptake and use of intimate partner violence and child maltreatment knowledge: an integrative review. BMC Public Health. 2014;14:862 pubmed publisher..The framework also provides guidance regarding use of measurement tools and designs to more effectively evaluate and report on KT efforts. ..
- McGrane Minton H, Mittal M, Elder H, Carey M. Relationship Factors and Condom Use Among Women with a History of Intimate Partner Violence. AIDS Behav. 2016;20:225-34 pubmed publisher..Results highlight the critical need to incorporate strategies to address relationship factors in HIV prevention programs with abused women. ..
- Loxton D, Dolja Gore X, Anderson A, Townsend N. Intimate partner violence adversely impacts health over 16 years and across generations: A longitudinal cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178138 pubmed publisher..Despite generational differences, intimate partner violence adversely impacted on mental and physical health over the 16 year study period and across generations. ..
- Mooney A, Gottert A, Khoza N, Rebombo D, Hove J, Suárez A, et al. Men's Perceptions of Treatment as Prevention in South Africa: Implications for Engagement in HIV Care and Treatment. AIDS Educ Prev. 2017;29:274-287 pubmed publisher..Pairing TasP information with alternative testing options may increase engagement among men reluctant to be seen at clinics. ..
- Horner P, Martin D. Mycoplasma genitalium Infection in Men. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S396-S405 pubmed publisher..In the absence of randomized controlled trials demonstrating cost effectiveness, screening of asymptomatic men cannot be recommended. ..