Genomes and Genes
Summary: A part of the embryo in a seed plant. The number of cotyledons is an important feature in classifying plants. In seeds without an endosperm, they store food which is used in germination. In some plants, they emerge above the soil surface and become the first photosynthetic leaves. (From Concise Dictionary of Biology, 1990)
Publications285 found, 100 shown here
- SPINDLY and GIGANTEA interact and act in Arabidopsis thaliana pathways involved in light responses, flowering, and rhythms in cotyledon movementsTong Seung Tseng
Department of Plant Biology and Plant Molecular Genetics Institute, University of Minesota, St Paul, Minesota 55108, USA
Plant Cell 16:1550-63. 2004..spy-4 gi-2 plants support the hypothesis that SPY functions with GI in pathways controlling flowering, circadian cotyledon movements, and hypocotyl elongation...
- Genes involved in organ separation in Arabidopsis: an analysis of the cup-shaped cotyledon mutantM Aida
Department of Botany, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Plant Cell 9:841-57. 1997Mutations in CUC1 and CUC2 (for CUP-SHAPED COTYLEDON), which are newly identified genes of Arabidopsis, caused defects in the separation of cotyledons (embryonic organs), sepals, and stamens (floral organs) as well as in the formation of ..
- LEAFY COTYLEDON2 encodes a B3 domain transcription factor that induces embryo developmentS L Stone
Section of Plant Biology, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:11806-11. 2001..LEC2 is required for the maintenance of suspensor morphology, specification of cotyledon identity, progression through the maturation phase, and suppression of premature germination...
- The development and geometry of shape change in Arabidopsis thaliana cotyledon pavement cellsChunhua Zhang
Department of Agronomy, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 2054, USA
BMC Plant Biol 11:27. 2011..The microtubule and actin cytoskeletons are highly polarized along the cortex of the anticlinal wall; however, the relationships between these arrays and cell morphogenesis are unclear...
- MACCHI-BOU 2 is required for early embryo patterning and cotyledon organogenesis in ArabidopsisJun Ito
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, 8916 5, Takayama, Ikoma, Nara, 630 0101 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 52:539-52. 2011..Seedlings homozygous for either mab2 or pid showed only mild phenotypic effects on cotyledon positions and/or numbers...
- Plastid signals remodel light signaling networks and are essential for efficient chloroplast biogenesis in ArabidopsisMichael E Ruckle
Michigan State University Department of Energy Plant Research Laboratory, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Plant Cell 19:3944-60. 2007....
- The cotyledons produce sufficient FT protein to induce flowering: evidence from cotyledon micrografting in ArabidopsisSeong Jeon Yoo
Creative Research Initiatives, Division of Life Sciences, Korea University, Seoul 136 701, Korea
Plant Cell Physiol 54:119-28. 2013..In wild-type Arabidopsis plants under long-day conditions, FT is mainly expressed in the cotyledon but is weakly expressed in the first true leaf prior to floral induction...
- Photosynthetic sucrose acts as cotyledon-derived long-distance signal to control root growth during early seedling development in ArabidopsisStefan Kircher
Department of Plant Physiology, Faculty of Biology, Albert Ludwigs University, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:11217-21. 2012....
- The lipoxygenase-dependent oxygenation of lipid body membranes is promoted by a patatin-type phospholipase in cucumber cotyledonsMaike Rudolph
Department of Plant Biochemistry, Albrecht von Haller Institute for Plant Sciences, Georg August University, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Exp Bot 62:749-60. 2011....
- Regulation of alcoholic fermentation in coleoptiles of two rice cultivars differing in tolerance to anoxiaJ Gibbs
Faculty of Agriculture Plant Sciences, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
J Exp Bot 51:785-96. 2000..By contrast, in IR22, there was little evidence for control by PFK, consistent with recent evidence that suggests substrate supply limits alcoholic fermentation in this cultivar...
- Early gene expression programs accompanying trans-differentiation of epidermal cells of Vicia faba cotyledons into transfer cellsStephen J Dibley
School of Environmental and Life Sciences, The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales 2308, Australia
New Phytol 182:863-77. 2009....
- Severing at sites of microtubule crossover contributes to microtubule alignment in cortical arraysRaymond Wightman
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Plant J 52:742-51. 2007..This process of severing at sites of MT crossover results in the removal of unaligned MTs, and is likely to form the basis for the difference between a net-like and an aligned MT array...
- Composition and content of glucosinolates in developing Arabidopsis thalianaBent Larsen Petersen
Plant Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Plant Biology, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg C, Copenhagen, Denmark
Planta 214:562-71. 2002..Approximately 70% of the content of [14C]p-OHBG in the seeds was detected in seedlings at the cotyledon stage and [14C]p-OHBG was barely detectable in young plants with rosettes of six to eight leaves...
- The gene ENHANCER OF PINOID controls cotyledon development in the Arabidopsis embryoBirgit S Treml
Lehrstuhl fur Genetik, Technische Universitat Munchen, Wissenschaftszentrum Weihenstephan, Am Hochanger 8, 85350 Freising, Germany
Development 132:4063-74. 2005During Arabidopsis embryo development, cotyledon primordia are generated at transition stage from precursor cells that are not derived from the embryonic shoot apical meristem (SAM)...
- Genetic control and QTL analysis of cotyledon bleaching resistance in green field pea (Pisum sativum L.)Lasantha Ubayasena
Crop Development Centre, University of Saskatchewan, 51 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A8, Canada
Genome 53:346-59. 2010..Heritability estimates for whole seed and cotyledon greenness were moderate (0.72 and 0...
- Phytochrome in cotyledons regulates the expression of genes in the hypocotyl through auxin-dependent and -independent pathwaysShin ichiro Tanaka
Department of Botany, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, 606 8502 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1171-81. 2002..Hence, some signals appeared to be transmitted from the cotyledons to the hypocotyl...
- Expression of PaNAC01, a Picea abies CUP-SHAPED COTYLEDON orthologue, is regulated by polar auxin transport and associated with differentiation of the shoot apical meristem and formation of separated cotyledonsEmma Larsson
Department of Plant Biology and Forest Genetics, Linnean Centre of Plant Biology in Uppsala, Uppsala BioCenter, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Ann Bot 110:923-34. 2012..of cotyledonary boundaries and the embryonal SAM is dependent on PAT and the expression of the CUP-SHAPED COTYLEDON (CUC) genes, which belong to the large NAC gene family...
- Storage globulins pass through the Golgi apparatus and multivesicular bodies in the absence of dense vesicle formation during early stages of cotyledon development in mung beanJunqi Wang
School of Life Sciences, Centre for Cell and Developmental Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
J Exp Bot 63:1367-80. 2012..is demonstrated that non-aggregated 8S globulins are present in multivesicular bodies (MVBs) in early stages of cotyledon development where neither dense vesicles (DVs) nor a PSV were recognizable...
- Differential regulation of Knotted1-like genes during establishment of the shoot apical meristem in Norway spruce (Picea abies)Emma Larsson
Department of Plant Biology and Forest Genetics, Uppsala BioCenter, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7080, 75007 Uppsala, Sweden
Plant Cell Rep 31:1053-60. 2012..Together, the results suggest that HBK2 and HBK4 exert similar functions related to the SAM differentiation and somatic embryo development in Norway spruce, while HBK1 and HBK3 have more general functions during embryo development...
- Metabolic profiling of oxylipins in germinating cucumber seedlings--lipoxygenase-dependent degradation of triacylglycerols and biosynthesis of volatile aldehydesHeiko Weichert
Institute oof Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research IPK, Gatersleben, Germany
Planta 215:612-9. 2002..The first evidence is presented for an involvement of a lipid-body LOX form in the production of volatile aldehydes...
- Mendel's green cotyledon gene encodes a positive regulator of the chlorophyll-degrading pathwayYutaka Sato
Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14169-74. 2007..The most famous stay-green mutant is Mendel's green cotyledon pea, one of the mutants used in determining the law of genetics...
- Arabidopsis regeneration from multiple tissues occurs via a root development pathwayKaoru Sugimoto
Division of Biology 156 29, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Dev Cell 18:463-71. 2010..It thus appears that the ectopic activation of a lateral root development program is a common mechanism in callus formation from multiple organs...
- The infection processes of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum in cotyledon tissue of a resistant and a susceptible genotype of Brassica napusHarsh Garg
School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Ann Bot 106:897-908. 2010..Sclerotinia sclerotiorum can attack >400 plant species worldwide. Very few studies have investigated host-pathogen interactions at the plant surface and cellular level in resistant genotypes of oilseed rape/canola (Brassica napus)...
- Multiple vacuolar sorting determinants exist in soybean 11S globulinNobuyuki Maruyama
Laboratory of Food Quality Design and Development, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Plant Cell 18:1253-73. 2006..We also demonstrate, by expression of dominant negative mutants of small GTPases and drug treatment experiments, that the trafficking of A1aB1b is COPII vesicle-dependent and wortmannin- and brefeldin A-sensitive...
- pH modulation differs during sunflower cotyledon colonization by the two closely related necrotrophic fungi Botrytis cinerea and Sclerotinia sclerotiorumGeneviève Billon-Grand
Universite Lyon 1, CNRS, Bayer SAS, UMR 5240 Microbiologie, Adaptation et Pathogénie, 14 impasse Pierre Baizet, BP 99163, F 69263 Lyon cedex 09, France
Mol Plant Pathol 13:568-78. 2012..cinerea. Consequently, during sunflower cotyledon colonization by B. cinerea, pH dynamics differ significantly from those of S. sclerotiorum...
- Heteroblasty in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) HeynhH Tsukaya
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Planta 210:536-42. 2000..These results suggest that heteroblasty in foliage leaves might be affected in part by the heteroblastic stage of the preceding foliage leaves but is finally controlled autonomously at each leaf position...
- Sucrose non-fermenting kinase 1 (SnRK1) coordinates metabolic and hormonal signals during pea cotyledon growth and differentiationRuslana Radchuk
Institut für Pflanzengenetik und Kulturpflanzenforschung IPK, Corrensstrasse 3, D 06466 Gatersleben, Germany
Plant J 61:324-38. 2010..This suggests that at early stages of seed development SnRK1 regulates coordinated cotyledon emergence and growth via cytokinin-mediated auxin transport and/or distribution...
- Lipoxygenase-mediated metabolism of storage lipids in germinating sunflower cotyledons and beta-oxidation of (9Z,11E,13S)-13-hydroxy-octadeca-9,11-dienoic acid by the cotyledonary glyoxysomesBernt Gerhardt
Institut fur Botanik, Universitat Munster, Schlossgarten 3, 48149, Munster, Germany
Planta 220:919-30. 2005..The results suggest that the hydroxyl/oxo group at C-13 of lipoxygenase-derived fatty acids forms a barrier to continuous beta-oxidation by glyoxysomes...
- Roles of extensins in cotyledon primordium formation and shoot apical meristem activity in Nicotiana tabacumXuelian Zhang
Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Education for Plant Developmental Biology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
J Exp Bot 59:4045-58. 2008..The results showed that the addition of 3,4-DHP caused abnormal embryos with single, asymmetry and supernumerary cotyledon primordia, and continuous culture led to cotyledon defects in the germinated seedlings...
- A role for chromatin remodeling in regulation of CUC gene expression in the Arabidopsis cotyledon boundaryChang Seob Kwon
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Development 133:3223-30. 2006The CUP-SHAPED COTYLEDON (CUC) genes CUC1, CUC2 and CUC3 act redundantly to control cotyledon separation in Arabidopsis...
- The transcription factor FUSCA3 controls developmental timing in Arabidopsis through the hormones gibberellin and abscisic acidSonia Gazzarrini
Department of Botany, University of Toronto, 25 Willcocks Street, M5S 3B2, Canada
Dev Cell 7:373-85. 2004....
- The Arabidopsis SPIKE1 gene is required for normal cell shape control and tissue developmentJin Long Qiu
Department of Agronomy, Purdue University, 1150 Lilly Hall of Life Sciences, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 1150, USA
Plant Cell 14:101-18. 2002..The seedling lethal spike1 mutant was identified based on trichome, cotyledon, and leaf-shape defects...
- The TORNADO1 and TORNADO2 genes function in several patterning processes during early leaf development in Arabidopsis thalianaGerda Cnops
Department of Plant Systems Biology, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Ghent University, B 9052 Gent, Belgium
Plant Cell 18:852-66. 2006..Double mutant analysis showed that TRN1 and TRN2 act in the same pathway...
- Cucumber cotyledon lipoxygenase during postgerminative growth. Its expression and action on lipid bodiesK Matsui
Department of Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi 753, Japan
Plant Physiol 119:1279-88. 1999..coordinated with that of a typical glyoxysomal enzyme, isocitrate lyase, during the postgerminative stage of cotyledon development...
- Molecular mapping of genes for Coleoptile growth in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)G J Rebetzke
CSIRO Plant Industry, GPO Box 1600, Canberra, ACT, 2601, Australia
Theor Appl Genet 114:1173-83. 2007....
- DELLA-mediated cotyledon expansion breaks coat-imposed seed dormancySteven Penfield
Centre for Novel Agricultural Products, Department of Biology, University of York, P O Box 373, York YO10 5YW, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 16:2366-70. 2006..We demonstrate that cotyledon expansion precedes radicle emergence during Arabidopsis seed germination and that a striking correlation exists ..
- Simultaneous selection of major and minor genes: use of QTL to increase selection efficiency of coleoptile length of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)Jiankang Wang
Institute of Crop Science, The National Key Facility for Crop Gene Resources and Genetic Improvement and CIMMYT China, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, China
Theor Appl Genet 119:65-74. 2009..However, a selection scheme combining MAS and PS was equally as efficient as PS and would result in net savings in production and time to delivery of long coleoptile wheats containing the six favorable alleles...
- The AtGRF family of putative transcription factors is involved in leaf and cotyledon growth in ArabidopsisJeong Hoe Kim
Department of Energy Plant Research Laboratory, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1312, USA
Plant J 36:94-104. 2003..These results indicate that AtGRF proteins play a role in the regulation of cell expansion in leaf and cotyledon tissues.
- A 64 kDa sucrose binding protein is membrane-associated and tonoplast-localized in developing mung bean seedsJunqi Wang
Department of Biology and Centre for Cell and Development Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
J Exp Bot 60:629-39. 2009..This study thus shows convincing evidence of tonoplast-localization of a plant SBP for its future functional characterization and provides a model of studying non-integral membrane proteins associated with the tonoplasts in plant cells...
- Stay-green protein, defective in Mendel's green cotyledon mutant, acts independent and upstream of pheophorbide a oxygenase in the chlorophyll catabolic pathwaySylvain Aubry
Institute of Plant Biology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Plant Mol Biol 67:243-56. 2008..of senescence-associated genes and loss of photosynthetic capacity, we demonstrate that JI2775, the green cotyledon (i) pea line used by Gregor Mendel to establish the law of genetics, is a true type C stay-green mutant...
- Auxin transport into cotyledons and cotyledon growth depend similarly on the ABCB19 Multidrug Resistance-like transporterDaniel R Lewis
Department of Botany, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Plant J 60:91-101. 2009..Here we have investigated the role of ABCB19 and auxin distribution in cotyledon development...
- Cotyledon damage at the seedling stage affects growth and flowering potential in mature plantsM E Hanley
School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO16 7PX, UK
New Phytol 169:243-50. 2006..Here we examined how the removal of 50 or approximately 100% of cotyledon area from 7-d-old chalk grassland seedlings affected subsequent plant growth and flowering over a 100-d period...
- Gibberellin produced in the cotyledon is required for cell division during tissue reunion in the cortex of cut cucumber and tomato hypocotylsMasashi Asahina
Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305 8572, Japan
Plant Physiol 129:201-10. 2002..Cell division during tissue reunion was strongly inhibited when the cotyledon was removed...
- An epidermal-specific ethylene signal cascade regulates trans-differentiation of transfer cells in Vicia faba cotyledonsYuchan Zhou
School of Environmental and Life Sciences, The University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
New Phytol 185:931-43. 2010..A cell-specific burst of ethylene biosynthesis functions as an inductive signal initiating and sustaining trans-differentiation to a TC morphology in vitro. These events are reproduced for developing V. faba seeds in planta...
- Development of the cotyledon cells during olive (Olea europaea L.) in vitro seed germination and seedling growthAgnieszka Zienkiewicz
Department of Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology of Plants, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, CSIC, Profesor Albareda 1, 18008, Granada, Spain
Protoplasma 248:751-65. 2011The structural changes occurred in differentiating olive cotyledon cells into mesophyll cells are described...
- Ultraviolet B radiation enhances a phytochrome-B-mediated photomorphogenic response in ArabidopsisH E Boccalandro
Instituto de Investigaciones Fisiológicas y Ecológicas Vinculadas a la Agricultura, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas, Avenida San Martin 4453, C1417 DSE Buenos Aires, Argentina
Plant Physiol 126:780-8. 2001..In etiolated Arabidopsis seedlings, a daily exposure to 2.5 h of UV-B enhanced the cotyledon opening response induced by a subsequent red light (R) pulse. An R pulse alone, 2...
- Influence of pericarp, cotyledon and inhibitory substances on sharp tooth oak (Quercus aliena var. acuteserrata) germinationYan Liu
Key Laboratory for Silviculture and Conservation of Ministry of Education, Beijing Forestry University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 7:e47682. 2012..cultivated in a Sanyo growth cabinet watered by distilled water and 80% methanol extracts from the acorn embryo, cotyledon and pericarp with concentrations of 1.0 g, 0.8 g, 0.6 g and 0.4 g dry acorn weight per ml methanol...
- A network of local and redundant gene regulation governs Arabidopsis seed maturationAlexandra To
Institut des Sciences du Vegetal, Unité Propre de Recherche 2355, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 91190 Gif sur Yvette, France
Plant Cell 18:1642-51. 2006..COTYLEDON1 [LEC1], and LEC2) control most aspects of seed maturation, such as accumulation of storage compounds, cotyledon identity, acquisition of desiccation tolerance, and dormancy...
- Stable establishment of cotyledon identity during embryogenesis in Arabidopsis by ANGUSTIFOLIA3 and HANABA TARANUMari Kanei
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Development 139:2436-46. 2012..an3 han double mutants exhibited severe defects in cotyledon development such that ectopic roots were formed at the apical region of the embryo, as confirmed by pWOX5::GFP ..
- Senescence progression in a single darkened cotyledon depends on the light status of the other cotyledon in Cucurbita pepo (zucchini) seedlings: potential involvement of cytokinins and cytokinin oxidase/dehydrogenase activityKalina Ananieva
Acad M Popov Institute of Plant Physiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Acad G Bonchev Str, Bl 21, Sofia 1113, Bulgaria
Physiol Plant 134:609-23. 2008..In a single individually darkened cotyledon, the structure and function of the photosynthetic apparatus as well as the contents of endogenous CKs and IAA ..
- Glucose and ethylene signalling pathways converge to regulate trans-differentiation of epidermal transfer cells in Vicia narbonensis cotyledonsFelicity A Andriunas
School of Environmental and Life Sciences, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, NSW 2308, Australia
Plant J 68:987-98. 2011..A model is presented describing the interaction between glucose and ethylene signalling pathways regulating the induction of wall ingrowth formation in adaxial epidermal cells...
- Vacuolar storage proteins are sorted in the cis-cisternae of the pea cotyledon Golgi apparatusS Hillmer
Department of Structural Cell Physiology, Albrecht-von-Haller Institute for Plant Sciences, , , Germany
J Cell Biol 152:41-50. 2001..These results indicate a spatial separation of different vacuolar sorting events in the Golgi apparatus of developing pea cotyledons...
- Chromosomal loci important for cotyledon opening under UV-B in Arabidopsis thalianaMariana Conte
Instituto de Investigaciones Fisiológicas y Ecológicas Vinculadas a Agricultura, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas and Universidad de Buenos Aires, C1417 DSE Buenos Aires, Argentina
BMC Plant Biol 10:112. 2010..Understanding of the genetic architecture of plant UV-B responses allows extensive targeted testing of candidate genes or regions, along with combinations of those genes, for placement in metabolic or signal transduction pathways...
- Purification, properties and alternate substrate specificities of arginase from two different sources: Vigna catjang cotyledon and buffalo liverSnehal Dabir
Department of Biochemistry, Dr BA Marathwada University, Aurangabad 400001 MS, India
Int J Biol Sci 1:114-22. 2005..was 210 kDa and 120 kDa of buffalo liver, while SDS-PAGE showed a single band of molecular weight 52 kDa for cotyledon and 43 kDa for buffalo liver arginase...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of the genes encoding an auxin efflux carrier and the auxin influx carriers associated with the adventitious root formation in mango (Mangifera indica L.) cotyledon segmentsYun He Li
South Subtropical Crop Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Science, No 1 Huxiu Road, Zhanjiang 524091, People s Republic of China
Plant Physiol Biochem 55:33-42. 2012Polar auxin transport (PAT) plays an important role in the adventitious root formation of mango cotyledon segments, but the molecular mechanism remains unclear...
- Specific elements of the glyoxylate pathway play a significant role in the functional transition of the soybean cotyledon during seedling developmentDelkin O Gonzalez
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
BMC Genomics 8:468. 2007The soybean (Glycine max) cotyledon is a specialized tissue whose main function is to serve as a nutrient reserve that supplies the needs of the young plant throughout seedling development...
- Roles of arabinogalactan proteins in cotyledon formation and cell wall deposition during embryo development of ArabidopsisJing Zhong
Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Education for Plant Developmental Biology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Protoplasma 248:551-63. 2011..In this study, as a continuous work, we investigated the AGP functions in embryo germination, cotyledon formation, and cell wall deposition in Arabidopsis embryos by using immunofluorescent, immunoenzyme, ..
- Induction of wall ingrowths of transfer cells occurs rapidly and depends upon gene expression in cotyledons of developing Vicia faba seedsT Wardini
School of Environmental and Life Science, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales, Australia
Protoplasma 231:15-23. 2007..The first fenestrated layer of wall ingrowths is apparent within 24 h of cotyledon exposure to culture medium. The time course of wall ingrowth formation was examined further...
- Fusicoccin- and IAA-induced elongation growth share the same pattern of K+ dependenceK Tode
, Ohnhorststr. 18, D-22609 Hamburg, Germany
J Exp Bot 52:251-5. 2001..However, TEA abolished this apparently K+ independent FC-induced growth. It is concluded that FC-induced growth, like auxin-induced growth, requires K+ uptake through K+ channels...
- High efficiency plant production of North American ginseng via somatic embryogenesis from cotyledon explantsSijun Zhou
Southern Crop Protection and Food Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, 1391 Sandford St, London, ON N5V 4T3, Canada
Plant Cell Rep 25:166-73. 2006..The pretreatment of cotyledon explants with 1...
- Snowy cotyledon 2: the identification of a zinc finger domain protein essential for chloroplast development in cotyledons but not in true leavesVeronica Albrecht
Institute of Plant Sciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH, Zurich, Switzerland
Plant Mol Biol 66:599-608. 2008..Several mutants with chlorophyll-deficient cotyledons were isolated and dubbed snowy cotyledon (sco). Here we describe the identification and detailed characterization of the snowy cotyledon 2 mutant...
- Cratonia cotyledon gen. et sp. nov: a unique Cretaceous seedling related to WelwitschiaCatarina Rydin
Stockholm University, Department of Botany, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Proc Biol Sci 270:S29-32. 2003..Few macrofossils have been described, and character evolution within the group is poorly known. Cratonia cotyledon is a new gnetalean fossil from the Early Cretaceous Crato Formation of Brazil...
- Generation of transgenic oriental melon resistant to Zucchini yellow mosaic virus by an improved cotyledon-cutting methodHui Wen Wu
Department of Plant Pathology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Plant Cell Rep 28:1053-64. 2009..used to transform an elite cultivar of oriental melon (Silver light) mediated by Agrobacterium using an improved cotyledon-cutting method...
- A subtilisin-like serine protease involved in the regulation of stomatal density and distribution in Arabidopsis thalianaD Berger
Department Willmitzer, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Genes Dev 14:1119-31. 2000..We propose that SDD1 acts as a processing protease involved in the mediation of a signal that controls the development of cell lineages that lead to guard cell formation...
- Differential downward stream of auxin synthesized at the tip has a key role in gravitropic curvature via TIR1/AFBs-mediated auxin signaling pathwaysTakeshi Nishimura
Department of Biological Sciences, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1 1 Minami Osawa, Hachioji shi, Tokyo, 192 0397 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 50:1874-85. 2009..These results indicate that the asymmetric downward streams of IAA control the differential growth rate of the cells by attenuating TIR1/AFBs-mediated auxin response genes, including ZmSAUR2, and therefore result in tropic curvature...
- Localization of iron in Arabidopsis seed requires the vacuolar membrane transporter VIT1Sun A Kim
Department of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Science 314:1295-8. 2006..We have uncovered a fundamental aspect of seed biology that will ultimately aid the development of nutrient-rich seed, benefiting both human health and agricultural productivity...
- Arabidopsis cotyledon-specific chloroplast biogenesis factor CYO1 is a protein disulfide isomeraseHiroshi Shimada
Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Nagatsuta, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
Plant Cell 19:3157-69. 2007Chloroplast development in cotyledons differs in a number of ways from that in true leaves, but the cotyledon-specific program of chloroplast biogenesis has not been clarified...
- Efficient regeneration from cotyledon protoplasts in Arabidopsis thalianaA Dovzhenko
Bereich Botanik, Department Biologie I, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munich, Germany
Protoplasma 222:107-11. 2003An efficient and fast regeneration system from cotyledon protoplasts was established for Arabidopsis thaliana accessions C24, Columbia, and Wassilewskija...
- Wall ingrowth formation in transfer cells: novel examples of localized wall deposition in plant cellsDavid W McCurdy
Plant Science Group, School of Environmental and Life Sciences, The University of Newcastle, Newcastle NSW 2308, Australia
Curr Opin Plant Biol 11:653-61. 2008..How this unusual form of localized wall deposition is constructed is unknown but may involve constraining cellulose-synthesizing rosette complexes at their growing tips...
- Sugar-dependent alterations in cotyledon and leaf development in transgenic plants expressing the HDZhdip gene ATHB13J Hanson
Department of Physiological Botany, Evolutionary Biology Center, Uppsala University, Sweden
Plant Mol Biol 45:247-62. 2001..High-level expression of ATHB13 affects cotyledon shape by inhibiting lateral expansion of epidermal cells in sugar-treated seedlings...
- Regulation of intracellular pH during anoxia in rice coleoptiles in acidic and near neutral conditionsKonstantin Yu Kulichikhin
School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, 6009, WA, Australia
J Exp Bot 60:2119-28. 2009..Summing up, rice coleoptiles exposed to a combination of anoxia and pH 3.5 retained pH regulation and cellular compartmentation, demonstrating tolerance to anoxia even during the acid load imposed by exposure to pH 3.5...
- Cotyledon organogenesisJohn W Chandler
Department of Developmental Biology, University of Cologne, Gyrhofstrasse 17, D 50923 Cologne, Germany
J Exp Bot 59:2917-31. 2008The cotyledon represents one of the bases of classification within the plant kingdom, providing the name-giving difference between dicotyledonous and monocotyledonous plants...
- An Arabidopsis cotyledon-specific albino locus: a possible role in 16S rRNA maturationY Y Yamamoto
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 8104, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 41:68-76. 2000We report here the isolation and characterization of a cotyledon-specific albino locus of Arabidopsis, WHITE COTYLEDONS (WCO)...
- A phospholipase A2 is transiently synthesized during seed germination and localized to lipid bodiesC May
Fachbereich Chemie, Philipps Universitat, Marburg, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1393:267-76. 1998..As maximal amounts of the protein were found at an early stage of mobilization and confined to lipid bodies, we propose that the patatin-like hydrolase is involved in lipid body mobilization...
- A comparison of the effects of IAA and 4-Cl-IAA on growth, proton secretion and membrane potential in maize coleoptile segmentsWaldemar Karcz
University of Silesia, Faculty of Biology, Department of Plant Physiology, ul Jagiellonska 28, PL 40032 Katowice, Poland
J Exp Bot 53:1089-98. 2002..These findings may, in turn, suggest a specific signal transduction pathway to 4-Cl-IAA in maize coleoptile cells...
- Evidence for the probable oil body association of a thiol-protease, leading to oleosin degradation in sunflower seedling cotyledonsS Vandana
Department of Botany, University of Delhi, North Campus, Delhi 110007, India
Plant Physiol Biochem 44:714-23. 2006..All these observations provide evidence for the expression of the said thiol-protease activity on the oil body surface, leading to gradual proteolysis of oleosins during seed germination...
- Expression patterns and subcellular localization of a 52 kDa sucrose-binding protein homologue of Vicia faba (VfSBPL) suggest different functions during developmentU Hei
, Gatersleben, Germany
Plant Mol Biol 47:461-74. 2001..Our data suggest different functions of VfSBPL during seed development...
- The ENHANCER OF SHOOT REGENERATION 2 gene in Arabidopsis regulates CUP-SHAPED COTYLEDON 1 at the transcriptional level and controls cotyledon developmentYoshihisa Ikeda
Laboratory of Plant Molecular Biology, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021 6399, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 47:1443-56. 2006..ESR2 directly targeted CYCLIN D1;1, ARABIDOPSIS PHOSPHOTRANSMITTER 6 (AHP6) and CUP-SHAPED COTYLEDON 1 (CUC1) in assays involving the translocation of ESR2-ER (estradiol receptor) fusions to the nucleus...
- Mass transport of proform of a KDEL-tailed cysteine proteinase (SH-EP) to protein storage vacuoles by endoplasmic reticulum-derived vesicle is involved in protein mobilization in germinating seedsK Toyooka
Department of Biological Sciences, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Minami Osawa 1 1, Hachioji, Tokyo, 192 0397 Japan
J Cell Biol 148:453-64. 2000A vacuolar cysteine proteinase, designated SH-EP, is expressed in the cotyledon of germinated Vigna mungo seeds and is responsible for the degradation of storage proteins...
- Auxin-induced K+ channel expression represents an essential step in coleoptile growth and gravitropismK Philippar
Julius von Sachs Institut, Lehrstuhl Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie und Biophysik, Wurzburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:12186-91. 1999..Thus, we conclude that coleoptile growth depends on the transcriptional up-regulation of ZMK1, an inwardly rectifying K+ channel expressed in the nonvascular tissue of this organ...
- Protein storage vacuole acidification as a control of storage protein mobilization in soybeansFanglian He
Department of Biological Sciences, State University of New York at Binghamton, Binghamton, NY 13902 6000, USA
J Exp Bot 58:1059-70. 2007..These results were obtained using cells separated by pectolyase treatment and also using cotyledon slices.
- Disposal of chloroplasts with abnormal function into the vacuole in Arabidopsis thaliana cotyledon cellsYasuo Niwa
School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Shizuoka, 52 1 Yada, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
Protoplasma 223:229-32. 2004..thaliana mutant that lacks the AtTIC40 gene and found that the cotyledon cells of this mutant contained undeveloped plastids...
- Cotyledon vascular pattern2-mediated inositol (1,4,5) triphosphate signal transduction is essential for closed venation patterns of Arabidopsis foliar organsFrancine M Carland
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, Conecticut 06520 8104, USA
Plant Cell 16:1263-75. 2004..To gain insight into venation patterning mechanisms, we have characterized the cotyledon vascular pattern2 (cvp2) mutants, which exhibit an increase in free vein endings and a resulting open vein ..
- Patterns and kinetics of water uptake by soybean seedsChris J Meyer
Department of Biology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G1
J Exp Bot 58:717-32. 2007..Hydrated coats of both permeable and stone seeds showed weak osmometer properties...
- Cloning, expression, and purification of glyoxysomal 3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolase from sunflower cotyledonsAnke C Schiedel
Cell Biology, MSB, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Protein Expr Purif 33:25-33. 2004..The enzyme was purified 53.4-fold and had a specific activity of 235 nkat/mg protein. Pooled fractions from the Ni-NTA column resulted in an 83% yield of active enzyme to be used for further characterization...
- PIN-FORMED1 and PINOID regulate boundary formation and cotyledon development in Arabidopsis embryogenesisMasahiko Furutani
Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Nara 630 0101, Japan
Development 131:5021-30. 2004..CUC1), CUC2 and SHOOT MERISTEMLESS (STM), the functions of which are normally required to repress growth at cotyledon boundaries, expand to the periphery and overlap with a cotyledon-specific marker, FILAMENTOUS FLOWER...
- Mutations in a plastid-localized elongation factor G alter early stages of plastid development in Arabidopsis thalianaNicholas J Ruppel
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
BMC Plant Biol 7:37. 2007..A growing body of work has demonstrated that components of the plastid transcription and translation machinery must be present and functional to establish the organelle upon germination...
- Mobilization of vacuolar iron by AtNRAMP3 and AtNRAMP4 is essential for seed germination on low ironViviane Lanquar
Institut des Sciences du Vegetal, CNRS, Gif sur Yvette, France
EMBO J 24:4041-51. 2005..Our data indicate that mobilization of vacuolar Fe stores by AtNRAMP3 and AtNRAMP4 is crucial to support Arabidopsis early development until efficient systems for Fe acquisition from the soil take over...
- SKS6, a multicopper oxidase-like gene, participates in cotyledon vascular patterning during Arabidopsis thaliana developmentJolanta Jacobs
Division of Biology, Kansas State University, Ackert Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Planta 222:652-66. 2005..A loss-of function sks6-1 T-DNA insertion allele revealed that cotyledon vascular patterning is affected in the mutant, suggesting a role for the protein in metabolism of nutrients or ..
- At5PTase13 modulates cotyledon vein development through regulating auxin homeostasisWen Hui Lin
National Key Laboratory of Plant Molecular Genetics, Institute of Plant Physiology and Ecology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 200032 Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Plant Physiol 139:1677-91. 2005..A previous study shows that At5PTase11 mediates cotyledon vascular development probably through the regulation of intracellular calcium levels...
- A nuclear-encoded sigma factor, Arabidopsis SIG6, recognizes sigma-70 type chloroplast promoters and regulates early chloroplast development in cotyledonsYoko Ishizaki
Faculty of Human Environment, Kyoto Prefectural University, Shimogamo nakaragi cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8522, Japan
Plant J 42:133-44. 2005..The null mutant (sig6-1) of plastid sigma factor gene AtSIG6 exhibited a cotyledon-specific pale green phenotype...
- Timing of cotyledon damage affects growth and flowering in mature plantsM E Hanley
School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton, SO16 7PX, UK
Plant Cell Environ 30:812-9. 2007..autumnalis, Leontodon hispidus, Plantago lanceolata, Plantago major, Trifolium pratense and Trifolium repens) to cotyledon removal at 7, 14 and 21 d old...
- The Rice COLEOPTILE PHOTOTROPISM1 gene encoding an ortholog of Arabidopsis NPH3 is required for phototropism of coleoptiles and lateral translocation of auxinKen Haga
Botanical Gardens, Graduate School of Science, Osaka City University, Kisaichi, Katano shi, Osaka 576 0004, Japan
Plant Cell 17:103-15. 2005..It is concluded that the CPT1-dependent major phototropism of coleoptiles is achieved by lateral auxin translocation and subsequent growth redistribution...
- The cargo in vacuolar storage protein transport vesicles is stratifiedDirk Wenzel
Abteilung für Strukturelle Zellphysiologie, Albrecht von Haller Institut fur Pflanzenwissenschaften, Georg August Universitat Gottingen, Germany
Traffic 6:45-55. 2005..This observation is discussed with respect to a putative receptor-mediated sorting of the proteins into the dense vesicles...
- Changes in homogalacturonans and enzymes degrading them during cotton cotyledon expansionZhiquan Zhang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 246 NRC, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Phytochemistry 68:1094-103. 2007..b>cotyledon expansion...
- Water uptake by dry beans observed by micro-magnetic resonance imagingKaori Kikuchi
National Institute of Vegetable and Tea Science, Ano, Mie 514 2392, Japan
Ann Bot 98:545-53. 2006....
- Microarrays for global expression constructed with a low redundancy set of 27,500 sequenced cDNAs representing an array of developmental stages and physiological conditions of the soybean plantLila O Vodkin
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
BMC Genomics 5:73. 2004..In addition, discovery of the molecular basis of traits through examination of naturally occurring variation in hundreds of mutant lines could be enhanced by the construction and use of soybean cDNA microarrays...
- Dual in vitro perfusion of an isolated cotyledon as a model to study the implication of changes in the third trimester placenta on preeclampsiaS di Santo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Universitats Frauenklinik, Inselspital, Effinger Strasse 102, CH 3010 Berne, Switzerland
Placenta 28:S23-32. 2007In the current study perfusions of an isolated cotyledon of term placenta using standard medium were compared to medium containing xanthine plus xanthine oxidase (X+XO), which generates reactive oxygen species (ROS)...
- Two receptor-like kinases required together for the establishment of Arabidopsis cotyledon primordiaMichael D Nodine
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Dev Biol 314:161-70. 2008..TOAD2), which are required together for patterning the apical embryonic domain cell types that generate cotyledon primordia...
- Protein sorting and expression of a unique soybean cotyledon protein, GmSBP, destined for the protein storage vacuoleAaron Elmer
Program in Plant Physiology, School of Molecular Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 4234, USA
Plant Mol Biol 52:1089-106. 2003....
- Glyoxysomal acetoacetyl-CoA thiolase and 3-oxoacyl-CoA thiolase from sunflower cotyledonsSilke Oeljeklaus
Institut fur Botanik, Universitat Munster, Germany
Planta 214:597-607. 2002....
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI of placental circulationAntonio Frias; Fiscal Year: 2013..DCE-MRI) technique that quantifies placental blood flow directly to the transfer unit of the placenta, the cotyledon. We propose to use DCE-MRI, complemented by in vitro assays of lipid transport in individually identified ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF THE PLANT DEFENSE RESPONSEFrederick M Ausubel; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will identify P. aeruginosa cell wall degrading enzymes and determine the role(s) they play in plant pathogenesis. ..
- Cell-specific analysis of plant shade avoidance responsesCarl Procko; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, the proposal seeks to understand how environmental change is transduced at the cellular level to affect an organism's body plan during development. ..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF FLOWERING GENES OF PHARBITIS NILAnath Das; Fiscal Year: 1991..Several cDNA libraries will be constructed and screened for the isolation of clones that represent cotyledon and apical meristem mRNAs whose abundance is affected by an inductive photoperiod...
- NITRIC OXIDE AND SUPEROXIDE INTERACTIONS IN THE PLACENTALeslie Myatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..The interactions of NO, superoxide, xanthine oxidase and SOD in the perfused placenta cotyledon by adding exogenous substrate, enzymes or inhibitors. 2...
- REGULATION OF PLACENTAL VASCULAR REACTIVITY IN PIHLeslie Myatt; Fiscal Year: 1991..We will establish in the fetal-placental circulation of the perfused human placental cotyledon from both normotensive and PIH pregnancies: 1. If such an imbalance in PGI2/TxA2 production exists 2...
- ROLE OF PLACENTAL ANGIOGENESIS IN THE FETUSLawrence Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- HUMORAL CONTROL OF THE HUMAN PLACENTAL CIRCULATIONLeslie Myatt; Fiscal Year: 1990..be injected into the fetal circulation or maternal intervillous space of the isolated perfused human placental cotyledon and the effects of these agents on fetal-placental vascular resistance determined...
- RENIN & PRORENIN IN PREGNANCYJEAN SEALEY; Fiscal Year: 1991..on prorenin biosynthesis and secretion will be evaluated using tissue culture, cell superfusion and cotyledon perfusion techniques. Ligand binding studies will be performed to identify and characterize prorenin receptors...
- VASCULAR THROMBOXANE RECEPTORS IN HUMAN PLACENTABARRY WILKES; Fiscal Year: 1992..other cyclooxygenase, and lipoxygense products) as measured on the fetal side of the isolated perfused placental cotyledon, characterize thromboxane receptor sites using ligand binding techniques, and study fetoplacental vascular ..
- Peptide Ligands for Placental Transcytosis ReceptorsGiovanni Pauletti; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Radial Polarity in Arabidopsis EmbryogenesisC Gillmor; Fiscal Year: 2006..Together, these studies should provide insight into the generation of radial pattern in embryogenesis. ..
- Fetal and Neonatal Hemodynamics in IUGR PregnanciesHenry Galan; Fiscal Year: 2006..differential expression of eNOS in binucleated cells and endothelial cells that may explain the differences in cotyledon eNOS protein seen at mid- and near-term gestation. 5...
- EXPRESSION OF GENES CODING FOR BEAN STORAGE PROTEINIAN SUSSEX; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- ALCOHOL PERTURBS PLACENTAL/HEPATIC FOLATE TRANSPORTASOK ANTONY; Fiscal Year: 1993..Such a model is offered in the in vitro human single placental cotyledon perfusion system with which the Co-investigator has extensive practical experience...
- PHYSIOLOGY OF THE PLACENTAJoseph Dancis; Fiscal Year: 1980..An artificial maternal and fetal circulation is provided in vitro to a cotyledon of human placenta permitting the study of transport under highly controlled conditions.
- PARKINSON DISEASE NEUROPROTECTION CLINICAL TRIAL CENTERBala Manyam; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Targets of Novel Antifungal CompoundsAmeeta Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2008..This work will provide a starting point in the development of new antifungal therapies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Bridges to the Doctorate in Reproductive BiologyFuller Bazer; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FOLATE-RESPONSIVE DYSGENESISASOK ANTONY; Fiscal Year: 2004..Also they will evaluate the effect of down-regulation of FR expression by antisense oligonucleotides to both the cis and the trans elements. ..
- CALCIUM METABOLISM IN ASIAN GIRLS AND POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2006..Optimizing calcium retention during periods of rapid growth is a key nutritional strategy to build peak bone mass and reduce lifelong risk of osteoporosis. ..
- Calcium, Dairy, and Body Fat in AdolescentsConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will evaluate calcium/dairy as a modulator of energy balance, important to the management of body fat in children. ..
- EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS EXPLOITING FOLATE RECEPTORSASOK ANTONY; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Alzheimre's disease antiamyloid neuroprotective tmtBala Manyam; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- OVINE INTERFERON-TAU REGULATES UTERINE HORMONE RECEPTORFuller Bazer; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- 24,25-DIHYDROXYVITAMIN D: MARKER OF SALT SENSITIVITYConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2001..Furthermore, they should provide an explanation for the paradox that blacks can build higher bone density, have a lower rate of bone turnover, and excrete less urinary calcium on the same sodium loads compared to whites. ..