Genomes and Genes
Summary: Herbaceous biennial plants and their edible bulbs, belonging to the Liliaceae.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Genotoxicity of titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles at two trophic levels: plant and human lymphocytesManosij Ghosh
Centre of Advanced Study in Cell and Chromosome Research, Department of Botany, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India
Chemosphere 81:1253-62. 2010..25 mM and above. The study thus confirms the genotoxic potential of TiO(2) nanoparticles in both plant and human lymphocytes...
- Allium cepa test in environmental monitoring: a review on its applicationDaniela Morais Leme
Departamento de Biologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
Mutat Res 682:71-81. 2009..cepa test system offers, it has been widely used to assess the impacts caused by xenobiotics, characterizing an important tool for environmental monitoring studies, where satisfactory results have been reported...
- Identification and onion pathogenicity of Burkholderia cepacia complex isolates from the onion rhizosphere and onion field soilJanette L Jacobs
Department of Plant Pathology, Michigan State University, 62 PBL, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:3121-9. 2008..cepacia complex species colonize the onion rhizosphere and have the potential to cause sour skin rot disease of onion. In addition, the onion rhizosphere is a natural habitat and a potential environmental source of B. cenocepacia...
- BAC FISH analysis in Allium cepaG Suzuki
Division of Natural Science, Osaka Kyoiku University, Kashiwara, Japan
Genes Genet Syst 76:251-5. 2001..BAC FISH screening is a powerful method for identification of molecular cytogenetic markers in large-genome plants...
- Genetic mapping of a major gene affecting onion bulb fructan contentJohn McCallum
New Zealand Institute for Crop and Food Research Limited, Private Bag 4704, Christchurch, New Zealand
Theor Appl Genet 112:958-67. 2006..This locus, provisionally named Frc, may account for the major phenotypic differences in bulb carbohydrate content between storage and sweet onion varieties...
- Functional isolation of novel nuclear proteins showing a variety of subnuclear localizationsKazuki Moriguchi
Plant Genetics Laboratory, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Plant Cell 17:389-403. 2005....
- Effects of anthocyanin-rich extract from red cabbage leaves on meristematic cells of Allium cepa L. roots treated with heavy metalsSława Glińska
Department of Plant Cytology and Cytochemistry, University of Lodz, Banacha 12 16, 90 237 Lodz, Poland
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 68:343-50. 2007..These data suggest a protective action of the ATH-rich extract from red cabbage leaves against heavy metal toxicity...
- Flavonoids and antioxidant capacity of Georgia-grown Vidalia onionsSubramani Sellappan
Department of Food Science and Technology, Food Science Building, The University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602 7610, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:5338-42. 2002..Nevertheless, a stronger correlation (r(2) = 0.34) was obtained between flavonoid content versus antioxidant capacity. The data indicate that Vidalia onions are a rich source of quercetin, and they also contain myricetin and kaempferol.
- Absorption, excretion and metabolite profiling of methyl-, glucuronyl-, glucosyl- and sulpho-conjugates of quercetin in human plasma and urine after ingestion of onionsWilliam Mullen
Plant Products and Human Nutrition Group, Graham Kerr Building, Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
Br J Nutr 96:107-16. 2006..Lightly fried onions containing 275 micromol flavonols, principally quercetin-4'-glucoside and quercetin-3,4'-diglucoside, were fed to ..
- Onion thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae): a global pest of increasing concern in onionJohn Diaz-Montano
Department of Entomology, Cornell University NYSAES, 630 W North St, Geneva, NY 14456, USA
J Econ Entomol 104:1-13. 2011..tabaci and discuss current management strategies based on chemical, biological, and cultural control as well as host resistance. Future directions for research in integrated pest management are examined and discussed...
- Sm and U2B" proteins redistribute to different nuclear domains in dormant and proliferating onion cellsPing Cui
Nuclear Matrix Laboratory, Department of Plant Biology, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, CSIC, Velazquez 144, 28006, Madrid, Spain
Planta 217:21-31. 2003..We report here an unusual nuclear domain in dormant nuclei, the micro-speckles, corresponding to storage sites for RNPs, which were rapidly mobilised after water imbibition...
- Possible interest of various sample transfer techniques for fast gas chromatography-mass spectrometric analysis of true onion volatilesI Arnault
IRBI UPRES A CNRS 6035, University F. Rabelais, Tours, France
J Chromatogr A 896:117-24. 2000..To characterise and to quantify all the true onion volatiles, we propose to analyse the same sample by successive SPME-GC-MS and solvent extraction-GC-MS...
- Silencing onion lachrymatory factor synthase causes a significant change in the sulfur secondary metabolite profileColin C Eady
National Centre for Advanced Bio Protection Technologies, Lincoln University, Christchurch 7647, New Zealand
Plant Physiol 147:2096-106. 2008..This reduced lachrymatory synthase activity by up to 1,544-fold, so that when wounded the onions produced significantly reduced levels of tear-inducing lachrymatory factor...
- Plant biochemistry: an onion enzyme that makes the eyes waterS Imai
Somatech Center, House Foods Corporation, Takanodai, Yotsukaido, Chiba 284 0033, Japan
Nature 419:685. 2002
- Chemical characterization of interspecific hybrids between Allium cepa L. and Allium kermesinum RchbJörg Storsberg
Federal Centre for Breeding Research on Cultivated Plants, Institute for Plant Analysis BAZ, Neuer Weg 22 23, D 06484 Quedlinburg, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 52:5499-505. 2004....
- Flavonoid content in fresh, home-processed, and light-exposed onions and in dehydrated commercial onion productsSeung Un Lee
Department of Food Service Industry, Uiduk University, Gangdong, Gyeongju, Gyongbuk, Korea 780 713
J Agric Food Chem 56:8541-8. 2008..Because flavonoids also exhibit health-promoting effects in humans, a need exists to measure their content in onions and in processed onion products...
- Pilot sequencing of onion genomic DNA reveals fragments of transposable elements, low gene densities, and significant gene enrichment after methyl filtrationJernej Jakse
Department of Horticulture, University of Wisconsin, 1575 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Mol Genet Genomics 280:287-92. 2008..Our results revealed no evidence for gene-dense regions and indicated that sequencing of methyl-filtered genomic fragments should be an efficient approach to reveal genic sequences in the onion genome...
- The decontaminative effects of acidic electrolyzed water for Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella typhimurium, and Listeria monocytogenes on green onions and tomatoes with differing organic demandsEun Jin Park
School of Food Science, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 6376, USA
Food Microbiol 26:386-90. 2009..the presence of organic matter, in the form of bovine serum against foodborne pathogens on the surfaces of green onions and tomatoes...
- Determination of S-methyl-, S-propyl-, and S-propenyl-L-cysteine sulfoxides by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry after tert-butyldimethylsilylationKouichiro Tsuge
National Research Institute of Police Science, 6 3 1 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277 0882, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 50:4445-51. 2002..The contents of 1, 2, and 3 in commercial onion were estimated to be 0.3, 3.1, and 3.0 mg, respectively, per gram of fresh weight...
- Allium cepa derived EROD as a potential biomarker for the presence of certain pesticides in waterRiffat A Fatima
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Sciences, AMU, Aligarh 202002, India
Chemosphere 62:527-37. 2006..We recommend the assay of EROD in the Allium cepa system as a presumptive test for the detection of these pesticides before using analytical techniques like HPLC...
- Studies on the effects of oral administration of nutrient mixture, quercetin and red onions on the bioavailability of epigallocatechin gallate from green tea extractAnup Kale
University Department of Biochemistry, R T M University, Nagpur, M S 440033, India
Phytother Res 24:S48-55. 2010..after oral administration of green tea extract (GTE) or GTE as a nutrient mixture (E) or E + quercetin (Q)/red onions. In rat studies, supplementation of GTE with other nutrients (E) or E + Q raised the plasma C(max) from 55...
- Pressure inactivation of hepatitis A virus in strawberry puree and sliced green onionsDavid H Kingsley
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Microbial Food Safety Research Unit, James W W Baker Center, Delaware State University, Dover, Delaware 19901, USA
J Food Prot 68:1748-51. 2005..of high-pressure processing as an intervention strategy for virus in produce, strawberry puree and sliced green onions were inoculated with > 10(6) PFU of hepatitis A virus and treated with pressures ranging from 225 to 375 ..
- Survival and transfer of murine norovirus 1, a surrogate for human noroviruses, during the production process of deep-frozen onions and spinachLeen Baert
Department of Food Safety and Food Quality, Laboratory of Food Microbiology and Food Preservation, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Food Prot 71:1590-7. 2008The reduction of murine norovirus 1 (MNV-1) on onions and spinach by washing was investigated as was the risk of contamination during the washing procedure...
- Effects of boiling on the antihypertensive and antioxidant activities of onionEiko Kawamoto
Graduate School of Human Life Science, Osaka City University, Sugimoto 3 3 138, Sumiyoshi ku, Osaka 558 8585, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 50:171-6. 2004....
- Pharmacokinetics of quercetin absorption from apples and onions in healthy humansJihyun Lee
Department of Food Science and Technology, One Shields Avenue, University of California Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Agric Food Chem 60:3874-81. 2012..e., species and cultivar). Dietary sources include onions and apples (i.e., the peel)...
- Sodium 2-propenyl thiosulfate derived from garlic induces phase II detoxification enzymes in rat hepatoma H4IIE cellsHye Sook Chang
Laboratory of Clinical Pathology, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima 890 0065, Japan
Nutr Res 30:435-40. 2010There is evidence that onions and garlic protect against cancer in humans...
- Aroma analysis of fresh and preserved onions and leek by dual solid-phase microextraction-liquid extraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometryN Mondy
University Francois Rabelais, Institut de Recherche sur la Biologie de l Insecte, UMR CNRS 6035, Tours, France
J Chromatogr A 963:89-93. 2002..These dramatic changes can explain the very different flavours of these manufactured products compared to fresh material...
- CK2 phosphorylation weakens 90 kDa MFP1 association to the nuclear matrix in Allium cepaRafael Samaniego
Nuclear Matrix Laboratory, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, CSIC, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Exp Bot 57:113-24. 2006..These results provide the first evidence for AcMFP1 in vivo phosphorylation, and open up further research on its nuclear functions...
- Green onions: potential mechanism for hepatitis A contaminationDavid D Chancellor
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Food Prot 69:1468-72. 2006..S. history occurred in November 2003. The source of that outbreak was green onions from a farm in Mexico...
- Action mechanisms of petroleum hydrocarbons present in waters impacted by an oil spill on the genetic material of Allium cepa root cellsDaniela Morais Leme
Departamento de Biologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista UNESP, Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
Aquat Toxicol 88:214-9. 2008..Probably all the observed effects were induced by the petroleum hydrocarbons derived from the oil leakage...
- Various cooking methods and the flavonoid content in onionK Ioku
Faculty of Education, Osaka Kyoiku University, Kashiwara, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 47:78-83. 2001..The hydrolysis of quercetin glycosides for daily cooking might occur with the addition of seasonings such as glutamic acid. Additional ferrous ions accelerated the loss of flavonoids...
- Growth inhibitory effect of alk(en)yl thiosulfates derived from onion and garlic in human immortalized and tumor cell linesHye Sook Chang
Laboratory of Internal Medicine, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0818, Japan
Cancer Lett 223:47-55. 2005..These results suggest that the alk(en)yl thiosulfates have an antitumor effect through the induction of apoptosis initiated by oxidative stress...
- Ability of Allium cepa L. root tips and Tradescantia pallida var. purpurea in N-nitrosodiethylamine genotoxicity and mutagenicity evaluationClaudia R de Rainho
Departamento de Biofisica e Biometria, Instituto de Biologia Roberto Alcantara Gomes, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
An Acad Bras Cienc 82:925-32. 2010..T. pallida purpurea did not respond to mutagens with a dose-dependent pattern. In conclusion, our study indicates that the root tips of Allium cepa L. have sensibility to detect NDEA genotoxicity, but not for Trad-SH test...
- Hazardous phytotoxic nature of cobalt and zinc oxide nanoparticles assessed using Allium cepaGajanan Ghodake
Department of Environmental Engineering, Kyungpook National University, Buk Gu, Daegu, Republic of Korea
J Hazard Mater 186:952-5. 2011..Zinc oxide NPs caused damage because of their severe accumulation in both the cellular and the chromosomal modules, thus signifying their highly hazardous phytotoxic nature...
- Comet assay application in environmental monitoring: DNA damage in human leukocytes and plant cells in comparison with bacterial and yeast testsP Poli
Istituto di Genetica, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 11 A, 43100 Parma and ARPA Emilia Romagna, Sezione di Parma, Parma, Italy
Mutagenesis 14:547-56. 1999..to higher plants...
- Genetic analyses of correlated solids, flavor, and health-enhancing traits in onion (Allium cepa L.)C R Galmarini
EEA La Consulta INTA, Mendoza, Argentina
Mol Genet Genomics 265:543-51. 2001....
- The effects of the anthocyanin-rich extract from red cabbage leaves on Allium cepa L. root tip cell ultrastructureSława Glińska
Laboratory of Electron Microscopy, Faculty of Biology and Environmental Protection, University of Lodz, Banacha 12 16, 90 237 Lodz, Poland
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 74:93-8. 2011....
- Genetic analysis of the interaction between Allium species and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungiGuillermo A Galván
Department of Plant Breeding, Plant Research International, Wageningen University and Research Centre, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Theor Appl Genet 122:947-60. 2011..Positive correlation between high number of roots, biomass and large response to AMF in close relatives of onion opens prospects to combine these traits for the development of more robust onion cultivars...
- Effect of nitrogen species supply and mycorrhizal colonization on organosulfur and phenolic compounds in onionsHenrike Perner
Department of Plant Nutrition, Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops e V Grossbeeren, Theodor Echtermeyer Weg 1, D 14979 Grossbeeren, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 56:3538-45. 2008..of health-related organosulfur compounds, total phenolic compounds, and flavonol glycoside concentrations in onions. For this purpose, greenhouse-grown onions ( Allium cepa L...
- The analysis of onion and garlicVirginia Lanzotti
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Agroalimentari, Ambientali e Microbiologiche, Universita del Molise, Via F De Sanctis, I 86100 Campobasso, Italy
J Chromatogr A 1112:3-22. 2006..Particular attention was given to the different methodology developed to perform chemical analysis, including separation and structural elucidation...
- A unique set of 11,008 onion expressed sequence tags reveals expressed sequence and genomic differences between the monocot orders Asparagales and PoalesJoseph C Kuhl
Department of Horticulture, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Plant Cell 16:114-25. 2004..The Asparagales were more similar to eudicots than to the Poales for these genomic characteristics...
- Overexpression of AtCSP4 affects late stages of embryo development in ArabidopsisYongil Yang
Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506 6108, USA
J Exp Bot 62:2079-91. 2011..Collectively, these data suggest that AtCSP4 plays an important role during the late stages of silique development by affecting the expression of several development-related genes...
- Administration of raw onion inhibits platelet-mediated thrombosis in dogsW H Briggs
Department of Horticulture, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Nutr 131:2619-22. 2001A number of studies suggest that dietary intake of onions is of benefit to cardiovascular health. Onion juice inhibits in vitro human platelet aggregation...
- Antimutagenic, antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of ethyl acetate extracts from white, yellow and red onionsMi Yae Shon
Department of Food and Nutrition, Institute of Agriculture and Life Science, Gyeongsang National University, 900 Gaza dong chinju city, South Korea
Food Chem Toxicol 42:659-66. 2004..This study demonstrated that the antimutagenicities and antioxidant properties of ethyl acetate extract against mutagens were related to their phenols and flavonoids, which are heat stable and losses digestive juices are relatively low...
- The rice alpha-amylase glycoprotein is targeted from the Golgi apparatus through the secretory pathway to the plastidsAya Kitajima
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
Plant Cell 21:2844-58. 2009..Thus, Golgi-to-plastid traffic appears to be involved in the transport of glycoproteins to plastids and plastid targeting seems to be accomplished in a sorting signal-dependent manner...
- Incorporation of mammalian actin into microfilaments in plant cell nucleusHeiti Paves
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Chemical Physics and Biophysics, Akadeemia tee 23, 12618 Tallinn, Estonia
BMC Plant Biol 4:7. 2004....
- An outbreak of hepatitis A associated with green onionsCharlotte Wheeler
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
N Engl J Med 353:890-7. 2005..In November 2003, a large hepatitis A outbreak was identified among patrons of a single Pennsylvania restaurant. We investigated the cause of the outbreak and factors that contributed to its unprecedented size...
- The integration of recombination and physical maps in a large-genome monocot using haploid genome analysis in a trihybrid allium populationL I Khrustaleva
Plant Research International, Wageningen University and Research Center, The Netherlands
Genetics 169:1673-85. 2005..These findings are different from data obtained on cereals, where recombination rate and gene density tends to be higher in distal regions...
- Hypoglycaemic and antioxidant effects of onion, Allium cepa: dietary onion addition, antioxidant activity and hypoglycaemic effects on diabetic ratsK E Campos
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Sao Paulo State, UNESP, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Food Sci Nutr 54:241-6. 2003..cepa were associated with antioxidant activity, since onion decreased superoxide dismutase activities while no increased lipid hydroperoxide and lipoperoxide concentrations were observed in diabetic rats treated with A. cepa...
- Onions--a global benefit to healthGareth Griffiths
Department of Plant Genetics and Biotechnology, Horticulture Research International, Wellesbourne CV35 9EF, UK
Phytother Res 16:603-15. 2002..Because of their storage characteristics and durability for shipping, onions have always been traded more widely than most vegetables...
- Molecular diversity of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in onion roots from organic and conventional farming systems in the NetherlandsGuillermo A Galván
Plant Research International, Wageningen University and Research Center, P O Box 16, 6700 AA, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Mycorrhiza 19:317-28. 2009..This suggests that farming systems as such did not influence AMF diversity, but rather specific environmental conditions or agricultural practices...
- Pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of quercetin glycosides in humansE U Graefe
Zentralinstitut Arzneimittelforschung GmbH, Sinzig, Germany
J Clin Pharmacol 41:492-9. 2001..The significance of specific carriers on the absorption of quercetin glycosides, as well as specific intestinal beta-glucosidases, needs to be further evaluated...
- UV light inactivation of hepatitis A virus, Aichi virus, and feline calicivirus on strawberries, green onions, and lettuceViviana R Fino
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, University of Delaware, 044 Townsend Hall, 531 South College Avenue, Newark, Delaware 19716 2150, USA
J Food Prot 71:908-13. 2008..Three produce types were selected for their different surface topographies and association with outbreaks. Green onions, lettuce, and strawberries were individually spot inoculated with 10(7) to 10(9) 50% tissue culture infective ..
- Onions: a source of unique dietary flavonoidsRune Slimestad
PlantChem, Saerheim Research Centre, N 4353 Klepp Station, Norway
J Agric Food Chem 55:10067-80. 2007..Yellow onions contain 270-1187 mg of flavonols per kilogram of fresh weight (FW), whereas red onions contain 415-1917 mg of ..
- Varietal differences in phenolic content and antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of onionsJun Yang
Department of Food Science and Institute of Comparative and Environmental Toxicology, Stocking Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:6787-93. 2004..b>Onions are a major source of dietary flavonoids; however, there may exist varietal differences in composition, ..
- Functional analysis of lipid metabolism in Magnaporthe grisea reveals a requirement for peroxisomal fatty acid beta-oxidation during appressorium-mediated plant infectionZheng Yi Wang
School of Biosciences, University of Exeter, Washington Singer Laboratories, Perry Road, Exeter, EX4 4QG, UK
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 20:475-91. 2007..grisea to complete its prepenetration phase of development and enter the host plant...
- Onion flesh and onion peel enhance antioxidant status in aged ratsJuyeon Park
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, Ewha Women s University, 1 1 Daehyun dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 750, Korea
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 53:21-9. 2007..Onion flesh or onion peel enhanced antioxidant status in aged rats and may be beneficial for the elderly as a means of lowering lipid peroxide levels...
- A new acetonitrile-free mobile phase method for LC-ELSD quantification of fructooligosaccharides in onion (Allium cepa L.)Katherine Downes
Plant Science Laboratory, Cranfield University, Bedfordshire MK43 0AL, UK
Talanta 82:118-24. 2010..The MeOH-based extraction method was more efficacious at extracting sugars and FOS from onion flesh, eluting significantly higher concentrations of glucose, kestose, nystose and DP5-DP8...
- Comparison of the main bioactive compounds and antioxidant activities in garlic and white and red onions after treatment protocolsShela Gorinstein
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, The Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, P O Box 12065, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Agric Food Chem 56:4418-26. 2008Polish garlic and white and red onions were subjected to blanching, boiling, frying, and microwaving for different periods of time, and then their bioactive compounds (polyphenols, flavonoids, flavanols, anthocyanins, tannins, and ..
- Simultaneous visualization of peroxisomes and cytoskeletal elements reveals actin and not microtubule-based peroxisome motility in plantsJaideep Mathur
Botanical Institute III, University of Koln, Gyrhofstrase 15, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Plant Physiol 128:1031-45. 2002..Microtubule depolymerization or stabilization had no effect...
- Phosphorylation of H2AX histones in response to double-strand breaks and induction of premature chromatin condensation in hydroxyurea-treated root meristem cells of Raphanus sativus, Vicia faba, and Allium porrumDorota Rybaczek
Department of Cytophysiology, University of Łódź, Łódź, Poland
Protoplasma 230:31-9. 2007..On the other hand, however, caffeine-mediated overriding of the S-M checkpoint control system resulted in the typical appearance of premature chromosome condensation, irrespective of the genomic content of DNA...
- Antidiabetic and antioxidant effects of S-methyl cysteine sulfoxide isolated from onions (Allium cepa Linn) as compared to standard drugs in alloxan diabetic ratsKumud Kumari
Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram 695581, India
Indian J Exp Biol 40:1005-9. 2002..In the amelioration of diabetes the standard drugs showed a better action, but as an antioxidant SMCS proved to be a better one...
- Garlic and onions: their effect on eicosanoid metabolism and its clinical relevanceM Ali
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, Kuwait University, Safat
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 62:55-73. 2000..In recent years, extensive research has focussed on the beneficial and medicinal properties of garlic and onions. In particular, the use of these agents in the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer is an ..
- Flavonoid metabolites in human plasma and urine after the consumption of red onions: analysis by liquid chromatography with photodiode array and full scan tandem mass spectrometric detectionWilliam Mullen
Plant Products and Human Nutrition Group, Graham Kerr Building, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
J Chromatogr A 1058:163-8. 2004Blood was collected from six human volunteers 1 h after the ingestion of lightly fried red onions, which are rich in anthocyanins and flavonols. Urine excreted 0-4 h after ingestion was also collected...
- Effect of diets fortified with tomatoes or onions with variable quercetin-glycoside content on azoxymethane-induced aberrant crypt foci in the colon of ratsAngelo Pietro Femia
Dept of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini 6, 50139, Florence, Italy
Eur J Nutr 42:346-52. 2003....
- Green fluorescent protein fusions to Arabidopsis fimbrin 1 for spatio-temporal imaging of F-actin dynamics in rootsYuh Shuh Wang
Plant Biology Division, The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Ardmore, OK 73401, USA
Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 59:79-93. 2004..Moreover, the localization of AtFim1-GFP offers insights into the regulation of actin organization in developing roots by this class of actin cross-linking proteins...
- Gold color in onions (Allium cepa): a natural mutation of the chalcone isomerase gene resulting in a premature stop codonS Kim
Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center, Department of Horticultural Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77845, USA
Mol Genet Genomics 272:411-9. 2004Unusual gold-colored onions were selected from a F3 family originating from a cross between US-type yellow and Brazilian yellow onions...
- Lipid lowering effect of S-methyl cysteine sulfoxide from Allium cepa Linn in high cholesterol diet fed ratsKumud Kumari
Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Trivandrum 695581, Kerala, India
J Ethnopharmacol 109:367-71. 2007..However, gugulipid is a better drug than SMCS at a low dose of 50mg/kg body weight...
- Uptake of quercetin and quercetin 3-glucoside from whole onion and apple peel extracts by Caco-2 cell monolayersJeanelle Boyer
Departments of Food Science and Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853 7201, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:7172-9. 2004..This use of the Caco2 cell model appears to be a simple and useful system for studying bioavailability of whole food phytochemicals and may be used to assess differences in bioavailability between foods...
- An outbreak of hepatitis A associated with green onionsC M Dentinger
Hepatitis Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, MS G 37, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 183:1273-6. 2001..A matched case-control study determined that foods containing green onions, which were eaten by 38 (95%) of 40 case patients compared with 30 (50%) of 60 control subjects, were associated ..
- Fate of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in manure compost-amended soil and on carrots and onions grown in an environmentally controlled growth chamberMahbub Islam
Center for Food Safety, University of Georgia, 1109 Experiment Street, Griffin, Georgia 30223 1797, USA
J Food Prot 67:574-8. 2004..done to determine the fate of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in manure compost-amended soil and on carrots and green onions grown in an environmentally controlled growth chamber...
- Identification and characterization of novel senescence-associated genes from barley (Hordeum vulgare) primary leavesN Ay
Institute of Plant Physiology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Weinbergweg 10, Halle, Germany
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 10:121-35. 2008..Possible physiological roles of these nine novel SAGs during barley leaf senescence are discussed...
- Different subcellular localization and trafficking properties of KNOX class 1 homeodomain proteins from riceSuzanne J H Kuijt
Institute of Biology, Leiden University, Wassenaarseweg 64, 2333 AL, Leiden, The Netherlands
Plant Mol Biol 55:781-96. 2004....
- Dissection of Arabidopsis ADP-RIBOSYLATION FACTOR 1 function in epidermal cell polarityJian Xu
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Utrecht University, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
Plant Cell 17:525-36. 2005..Although extreme redundancy precludes conventional genetic dissection of ARF1 functions, our approach separates different ARF1 downstream networks involved in local and specific aspects of cell polarity...
- Composition of chemical species of selenium contained in selenium-enriched shiitake mushroom and vegetables determined by high performance liquid chromatography with inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometryMunehiro Yoshida
Laboratory of Food and Nutritional Sciences, Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Engineering, Kansai University, Yamate 3 3 3 5, Suita, Osaka 564 8680, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 51:194-9. 2005..The main Se species in bulbs, leaves or flowers of the Se-enriched garlic, onions, cabbage and ashitaba were selenate, Se-methylselenocysteine or gamma-glutamyl-Se-methylselenocysteine, while ..
- Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of leek (Allium porrum) and garlic (Allium sativum)Colin Eady
New Zealand Institute for Crop and Food Research Limited, Private bag Box 4704, Christchurch, New Zealand
Plant Cell Rep 24:209-15. 2005..gene and nptII selectable marker, and followed the protocol developed previously for the transformation of onions with only minor modifications pertaining to the post-transformation selection procedure which was simplified to ..
- A hypersensitive response-induced ATPase associated with various cellular activities (AAA) protein from tobacco plantsMegumi Sugimoto
Research and Education Center for Genetic Information, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Nara 630 0192, Japan
Plant Mol Biol 56:973-85. 2004..These results suggest that NtAAA1 mitigates the SA signaling pathway, and therefore that NtAAA1 modulates the pathogen response of the host plants by adjusting the HR to an appropriate level...
- Extraction of nuclear proteins from root meristematic cellsFernando González-Camacho
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Madrid, Spain
Methods Mol Biol 355:63-72. 2007..In general, the functional criteria driving the extraction method described here will make this method capable of generating valuable and useful information...
- Adenosine 5'-phosphosulphate reductase is regulated differently in Allium cepa L. and Brassica oleracea L. upon exposure to H2SMark Durenkamp
Laboratory of Plant Physiology, University of Groningen, PO Box 14, 9750 AA Haren, The Netherlands
J Exp Bot 58:1571-9. 2007..These results demonstrate that not only the physiological response to H2S, but also the molecular mechanisms of regulation of APR differ in the two species...
- Maize DBF1-interactor protein 1 containing an R3H domain is a potential regulator of DBF1 activity in stress responsesAbdelaty Saleh
Departamento de Genetica Molecular, Instituto de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona, IBMB, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, CSIC, 18 26 Jordi Girona, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Plant J 46:747-57. 2006..We suggest that the regulated association of DBF1 and DIP1 may control the levels of target gene expression during stress conditions...
- The highly charged region of plant beta-type phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase is involved in membrane targeting and phospholipid bindingYing Lou
National Key Laboratory of Plant Molecular Genetics, Institute of Plant Physiology and Ecology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Science SIBS, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200032, P R China
Plant Mol Biol 60:729-46. 2006....
- Functional characterization of OsRacB GTPase--a potentially negative regulator of basal disease resistance in riceYoung Ho Jung
Department of Molecular Biology, College of Natural Science, Sejong University, Seoul 143 747, Korea
Plant Physiol Biochem 44:68-77. 2006..Based on these results, we suggest that OsRacB functions as a potential regulator for a basal disease resistance pathway in rice...
- An aluminum-activated citrate transporter in barleyJun Furukawa
Research Institute for Bioresources, Okayama University, Chuo, Kurashiki, Okayama, 710 0046, Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 48:1081-91. 2007..Taken together, our results demonstrate that HvAACT1 is an Al-activated citrate transporter responsible for Al resistance in barley...
- Induction of a grapevine germin-like protein (VvGLP3) gene is closely linked to the site of Erysiphe necator infection: a possible role in defense?Dale Godfrey
CSIRO Plant Industry, PO Box 350, Glen Osmond, SA 5064, Australia
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 20:1112-25. 2007..This data has provided an insight into the diverse nature of the GLP family in grapevine and suggests that VvGLP3 may be involved in the defense response against E. necator...
- OsPNH1 regulates leaf development and maintenance of the shoot apical meristem in riceAsuka Nishimura
Bioscience Centre, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Plant J 30:189-201. 2002..On the basis of these observations, we propose that OsPNH1 functions not only in SAM maintenance as previously thought, but also in leaf formation through vascular development...
- OsZIP4, a novel zinc-regulated zinc transporter in riceYasuhiro Ishimaru
Department of Global Agricultural Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Science, University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
J Exp Bot 56:3207-14. 2005..Furthermore, OsZIP4 transcripts were detected in the meristem of Zn-deficient roots and shoots. These results suggested that OsZIP4 is a Zn transporter that may be responsible for the translocation of Zn within rice plants...
- The transcription factor IDEF1 regulates the response to and tolerance of iron deficiency in plantsTakanori Kobayashi
Laboratory of Plant Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19150-5. 2007..Manipulation of IDEF1 also provides another approach for producing crops tolerant of iron deficiency to enhance food and biomass production in calcareous soils...
- Nuclear actin in plantsJose R Cruz
Centro Investigaciones Biologicas, CSIC Ramiro de Maeztu 9, Madrid 28040, Spain
Cell Biol Int 32:584-7. 2008..For this, WB and confocal immunofluorescence with antibodies against human actin and NMI were used...
- AtNAC2, a transcription factor downstream of ethylene and auxin signaling pathways, is involved in salt stress response and lateral root developmentXin Jian He
National Key Lab of Plant Genomics, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
Plant J 44:903-16. 2005..AtNAC2 also promoted or inhibited downstream gene expressions. These results indicate that AtNAC2 may be a transcription factor incorporating the environmental and endogenous stimuli into the process of plant lateral root development...
- The wheat TaGI1, involved in photoperiodic flowering, encodes an Arabidopsis GI orthologXiang Yu Zhao
Shandong Key Laboratory of Crop Biology, College of Life Sciences, Shandong Agricultural University, 271018, Taian, Shandong, China
Plant Mol Biol 58:53-64. 2005..Since overexpression of TaGI1 altered flowering time in wild type and complemented the gi mutant in Arabidopsis, it confirmed that TaGI1 is an ortholog of GI in Arabidopsis...
- A wheat (Triticum aestivum) protein phosphatase 2A catalytic subunit gene provides enhanced drought tolerance in tobaccoChongyi Xu
The National Key Facility for Crop Gene Resources and Genetic Improvement, Key Laboratory of Crop Germplasm and Biotechnology, Ministry of Agriculture, Institute of Crop Sciences, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, 100081, China
Ann Bot 99:439-50. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate expression and characterization of TaPP2Ac-1 from Triticum aestivum, and to evaluate the effects of TaPP2Ac-1 on Nicotiana benthamiana in response to water stress...
- Arabidopsis response regulator, ARR22, ectopic expression of which results in phenotypes similar to the wol cytokinin-receptor mutantTakatoshi Kiba
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, School of Agriculture, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya, 464 8601 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 45:1063-77. 2004..These results suggested that ARR22 might also be implicated, directly or indirectly, in the cytokinin-responsive His-->Asp phophorelay signal transduction...
- A salt-responsive receptor-like kinase gene regulated by the ethylene signaling pathway encodes a plasma membrane serine/threonine kinaseX J He
Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 100101 Beijing, PR China
Theor Appl Genet 109:377-83. 2004..We found that that AtLecRK2 can be autophosphorylated and has serine/threonine kinase activities. The subcellular localization of AtLecRK2-GFP in onion epidermal cells indicates that AtLecRK2 is localized on the plasma membrane...
- OsSET1, a novel SET-domain-containing gene from riceYun Kuan Liang
PKU Yale Joint Research Center of Agricultural and Plant Molecular Biology, National Key Laboratory of Protein Engineering and Plant Gene Engineering, College of Life Sciences, Peking University, 5 Yiheyuan Road, Beijing 100871, PR China
J Exp Bot 54:1995-6. 2003..A transient expression assay in onion epidermis revealed that the OsSET1 protein is localized in nuclei. Over-expression of the SET domain of OsSET1 in Arabidopsis resulted in altered shoot development at seedling stages...
- Protein kinase CK2 modulates developmental functions of the abscisic acid responsive protein Rab17 from maizeMarta Riera
Departament de Genetica Molecular, Institut de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona, Consell Superior d Investigacions Cientifiques, Jordi Girona 18 26, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9879-84. 2004..The overexpression of Rab17, but not mRab17, arrests the process of seed germination under osmotic stress conditions. Thus, the role of Rab17 in growth processes is mediated through its phosphorylation by protein kinase CK2...
- Expression of MsPG3-GFP fusions in Medicago truncatula'hairy roots' reveals preferential tip localization of the protein in root hairsIgnacio D Rodriguez-Llorente
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
Eur J Biochem 270:261-9. 2003..This indicates that this protein may participate in tip growth processes during symbiosis and, in addition, that this fusion could be a useful tool to study this process in plants...
- The role of root system architecture and root hairs in promoting anchorage against uprooting forces in Allium cepa and root mutants of Arabidopsis thalianaPeter H J Bailey
Department of Biology, University of York, PO Box 373, York YO10 5YW, UK
J Exp Bot 53:333-40. 2002..The results show that lateral roots play an important role in anchorage, and that co-operation between roots may be the most significant factor...
- Inventory and functional characterization of the HAK potassium transporters of riceMaría A Bañuelos
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Plant Physiol 130:784-95. 2002..Transient expression of the OsHAK10-green fluorescent protein fusion protein in living onion epidermal cells targeted this protein to the tonoplast...
- A WD-repeat-containing putative regulatory protein in anthocyanin biosynthesis in Perilla frutescensKanokporn Sompornpailin
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Plant Mol Biol 50:485-95. 2002..We propose a model of genetic regulation in which the PFWD protein acts in signal transduction process in a variety of pathways through protein interaction with MYC proteins...
- Characterization of the ARR15 and ARR16 response regulators with special reference to the cytokinin signaling pathway mediated by the AHK4 histidine kinase in roots of Arabidopsis thalianaTakatoshi Kiba
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, School of Agriculture, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1059-66. 2002..Together, it was suggested that ARR15 and ARR16 are distinctly implicated in the presumed AHK4-mediated signaling pathway in roots...
- Arabidopsis thaliana atrab28: a nuclear targeted protein related to germination and toxic cation toleranceAntonio Borrell
Department de Genètica Molecular, Centre d Investigació i Desenvolupament, CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
Plant Mol Biol 50:249-59. 2002..Moreover, improved cation toxicity tolerance was also observed not only during germination but also in seedlings. These results suggest a role of Atrab28 in the ion cell balance during late embryogenesis and germination...
- Quercetin to enhance the bioavailability and activity of green tea polyphenolsSUSANNE MARGARETE HENNING; Fiscal Year: 2013..However 50 percent of EGCG was found in methylated form. Quercetin, a flavonoid found in onions, apples, broccoli, berries and teas is a natural inhibitor of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) and multidrug ..
- Meiotic Centromere Behavior in YeastDean S Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2013..First, studies in a variety of organisms (onions, wheat, budding yeast, mice) have revealed that early in meiosis, just after DNA replication, centromeres arrange ..
- FLAVONOIDS AND CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASEHoward Sesso; Fiscal Year: 2000..is associated with the risk of incident CVD, and whether specific food sources of flavonoids--including tea, onions, apples, red wine, and other foods--are associated with the risk of incident CVD...
- Development of an in vitro mitochondrial fusion assay.Janet Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2004..Dnm1p is a dynamin-related GTPase that acts on the outer mitochondrial membrane to regulate fission. Fzo1p (fuzzy onions) is a transmembrane GTPase that regulates mitochondrial docking and/or fusion...
- CALCIUM METABOLISM IN ASIAN GIRLS AND POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2006..Optimizing calcium retention during periods of rapid growth is a key nutritional strategy to build peak bone mass and reduce lifelong risk of osteoporosis. ..
- Calcium, Dairy, and Body Fat in AdolescentsConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will evaluate calcium/dairy as a modulator of energy balance, important to the management of body fat in children. ..
- 24,25-DIHYDROXYVITAMIN D: MARKER OF SALT SENSITIVITYConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2001..Furthermore, they should provide an explanation for the paradox that blacks can build higher bone density, have a lower rate of bone turnover, and excrete less urinary calcium on the same sodium loads compared to whites. ..
- Hawaii Colorectal Cancer Family RegistryLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will also propose a CFR pilot study exploring the feasibility of assessing assorted mating as evidence for population stratification. ..
- Ethnic/Racial Minorities in the Colon CFRLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Case-Control Study of Adenoma in Sao Paulo JapaneseLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cardiac Hypertrophy Due to Oxidative Stress InsulinThunder Jalili; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diet, Genetic Susceptibility and Colorectal NeoplasiaLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2006..Genotyping for random markers will permit to exclude residual confounding by ethnicity. ..
- The TGFbeta Pathway, Gene Variants and Colorectal Neopl*Loic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry systemAdrian Franke; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- GENES, DIET AND CARCINOGEN ACTIVATION IN SMOKERSLoic Le Marchand; Fiscal Year: 2004..The elucidation of the main enzymes responsible for carcinogen activation and of the impact of dietary factors on these enzymes would have important implications for cancer prevention. ..