Summary: A mitosporic fungal genus and an anamorphic form of Arthroderma. Various species attack the skin, nails, and hair.
Publications254 found, 100 shown here
- Infection stages of the dermatophyte pathogen Trichophyton: microscopic characterization and proteolytic enzymesGil Kaufman
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
Med Mycol 45:149-55. 2007Dermatophytes are pathogenic fungi that infect human skin, nails and hair and cause dermatophytosis. Trichophyton mentagrophytes is one of the most widespread species that belong to this group...
- Comparative genome analysis of Trichophyton rubrum and related dermatophytes reveals candidate genes involved in infectionDiego A Martinez
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
MBio 3:e00259-12. 2012The major cause of athlete's foot is Trichophyton rubrum, a dermatophyte or fungal pathogen of human skin. To facilitate molecular analyses of the dermatophytes, we sequenced T...
- Genetic advances in dermatophytesMaria Grumbt
Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology Hans Knoell Institute, Junior Research Group Fundamental Molecular Biology of Pathogenic Fungi, Jena, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Lett 320:79-86. 2011..Therefore, it appeared timely to review the available molecular tools and methodologies in dermatophyte research, which may provide future insights into the virulence of these clinically important pathogens...
- The susceptibility of dermatophytes to photodynamic treatment with special focus on Trichophyton rubrumThrees G M Smijs
Department of Environmental Science, Open University Netherlands, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Photochem Photobiol 87:2-13. 2011..This review focuses on the susceptibility of dermatophytic fungi, in particular Trichophyton rubrum, to PDT and shows its potential usefulness in treatment of clinical dermatophytoses...
- Phylogenetic classification and species identification of dermatophyte strains based on DNA sequences of nuclear ribosomal internal transcribed spacer 1 regionsK Makimura
Teikyo University Institute of Medical Mycology, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 37:920-4. 1999The mutual phylogenetic relationships of dermatophytes of the genera Trichophyton, Microsporum, and Epidermophyton were demonstrated by using internal transcribed spacer 1 (ITS1) region ribosomal DNA sequences. Trichophyton spp...
- Outbreak of tinea corporis gladiatorum, a fungal skin infection due to Trichophyton tonsurans, in a French high level judo teamD M Poisson
Unite de Microbiologie, CHR d Orleans, hôpital de la Source, Orleans, France
Euro Surveill 10:187-90. 2005An outbreak of 49 cases of tinea corporis gladiatorum due to Trichophyton tonsurans infection occurred in a high level judo team of 131 members in Orleans, central France, between October 2004 and April 2005...
- Tinea capitis due to Trichophyton rubrum in a neonateSung Eun Chang
Department of Dermatology, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
Pediatr Dermatol 19:356-8. 2002..Furthermore, Trichophyton rubrum as a causative organism of tinea capitis is documented very rarely. We report herein a neonate in whom T...
- Successful mating of Trichophyton rubrum with Arthroderma simiiKazushi Anzawa
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa Medical University, Ishikawa, Japan
Med Mycol 48:629-34. 2010Crossing of Trichophyton rubrum with Arthroderma simii yielded many ascomata around the fluffy T. rubrum colonies. One of the 35 supposed ascospores isolated from matured ascoma was shown to be a hybrid of the two species...
- Secreted proteases from dermatophytesMichel Monod
Service de Dermatologie et Venereologie, Laboratoire de Mycologie, BT422, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Mycopathologia 166:285-94. 2008..Sulphitolysis is likely to be an essential step in the digestion of compact keratinized tissues which precedes the action of all proteases...
- Arthroconidia production in Trichophyton rubrum and a new ex vivo model of onychomycosisS Amir Yazdanparast
Department of Microbiology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Med Microbiol 55:1577-81. 2006The dermatophyte fungus Trichophyton rubrum often produces arthroconidia in vivo, and these cells are thought to be involved in pathogenesis, and, in shed skin scales, to act as a source of infection...
- Trichophyton violaceum: a rare isolate in 18-day-old neonateR B Surpam
Department of Microbiology, TNMC and BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, Mumbai 400008, Maharashtra, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 24:292-3. 2006b>Trichophyton violaceum, a less common and geographically restricted infection is reported in a 18-day-old neonate. The diagnosis was made by potassium hydroxide of skin scraping examination and confirmed by culture...
- Signature polymorphisms in the internal transcribed spacer region relevant for the differentiation of zoophilic and anthropophilic strains of Trichophyton interdigitale and other species of T. mentagrophytes sensu latoS Heidemann
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Br J Dermatol 162:282-95. 2010..Dermatophytes are the main cause of superficial mycoses in humans and animals. Molecular research has given useful insights into the phylogeny and taxonomy of the dermatophytes to overcome the difficulties with conventional diagnostics...
- Preclinical studies with 5,10,15-Tris(4-methylpyridinium)-20-phenyl-[21H,23H]-porphine trichloride for the photodynamic treatment of superficial mycoses caused by Trichophyton rubrumThrees G M Smijs
Leiden University Medical Centre, The Netherlands
Photochem Photobiol 85:733-9. 2009..We have recently demonstrated the susceptibility of the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum to photodynamic treatment (PDT) with 5,10,15-Tris(4-methylpyridinium)-20-phenyl-[21H,23H]-porphine ..
- Antifungal effect of 5-aminolevulinic acid PDT in Trichophyton rubrumH Kamp
Center of Experimental and Applied Cutaneous Physiology CCP, Charitéte University Medicine Berlin, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Mycoses 48:101-7. 2005In the present investigation, we have shown for the first time that the onychomycosis-inducing dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum was able to metabolize 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) to protoporphyrin IX (PpIX) in liquid culture medium...
- Transcriptional profiles of Trichophyton rubrum in response to itraconazoleYoujiang Diao
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun, PR China
Med Mycol 47:237-47. 2009b>Trichophyton rubrum is the predominant causative agent for superficial dermatomycosis. In order to understand how triazole antifungal agents interact with dermatophytes, the gene expression response of T...
- Detection of xanthomegnin in epidermal materials infected with Trichophyton rubrumA K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Center Sunnybrook site, and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Invest Dermatol 115:901-5. 2000..Aspergillus fungi, was first isolated about 35 y ago as a diffusing pigment from cultures of the dermatophyte, Trichophyton megninii...
- Transcriptional profiles of response to terbinafine in Trichophyton rubrumWenliang Zhang
State Key Laboratory for Molecular Virology and Genetic Engineering, Beijing 100176, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 82:1123-30. 2009b>Trichophyton rubrum is a good model for the study of human pathogenic filamentous fungi. The antifungal agent terbinafine (TRB) shows specific activity against T. rubrum. To identify the transcriptional profiles of response to TRB in T...
- Transcriptional profiling reveals genes in the human pathogen Trichophyton rubrum that are expressed in response to pH signalingHenrique C S Silveira
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Microb Pathog 48:91-6. 2010b>Trichophyton rubrum is a dermatophyte that infects human skin and nails...
- Transcriptional profiles of the response to ketoconazole and amphotericin B in Trichophyton rubrumLu Yu
State Key Laboratory for Molecular Virology and Genetic Engineering, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100176, China
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:144-53. 2007b>Trichophyton rubrum is a pathogenic filamentous fungus of increasing medical concern. Two antifungal agents, ketoconazole (KTC) and amphotericin B (AMB), have specific activity against dermatophytes...
- Gene expression profiling in the human pathogenic dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum during growth on proteinsChristophe Zaugg
Department of Dermatology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Av de Beaumont 29, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Eukaryot Cell 8:241-50. 2009..To address this question, we constructed a cDNA microarray for the human pathogenic dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum that was based on transcripts of the fungus grown on proteins...
- Tinea incognitoRoberto Arenas
Mycology Section, Department of Dermatology, Dr Manuel Gea Gonzalez General Hospital, Calzada de Tlalpan 4800, 14080 Mexico, DF, Mexico
Clin Dermatol 28:137-9. 2010..Tinea incognito usually resembles neurodermatitis, atopic dermatitis, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, lupus erythematosus, or contact dermatitis, and the diagnosis is frequently missed or delayed...
- Enhanced gene replacements in Ku80 disruption mutants of the dermatophyte, Trichophyton mentagrophytesTsuyoshi Yamada
Teikyo University Institute of Medical Mycology, Teikyo University, Tokyo, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 298:208-17. 2009..of targeted gene disruption via homologous recombination is low in the clinically important dermatophyte, Trichophyton mentagrophytes...
- Role of the ABC transporter TruMDR2 in terbinafine, 4-nitroquinoline N-oxide and ethidium bromide susceptibility in Trichophyton rubrumAna Lucia Fachin
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 14049 900 Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Med Microbiol 55:1093-9. 2006..TruMDR2, encoding an ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter was cloned and sequenced from the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum...
- Pustular psoriasis-like tinea incognito due to Trichophyton rubrumGamze Serarslan
Mycoses 50:523-4. 2007..The diagnosis was confirmed by mycological examination including culture. Complete clinical resolution was observed with oral and topical antimycotic treatment...
- Trichophyton rubrum autoinoculation from infected nails is not such a rare phenomenonJacek C Szepietowski
Mycoses 51:345-6. 2008..Here, we present a rare case report - an inflammatory tinea barbae due to an anthropophilic fungus (Trichophyton rubrum), which is the main pathogen of onychomycosis and tinea pedis...
- [From hedgehogs to men. Zoophilic dermatophytosis caused by Trichophyton erinacei in eight patients]S Schauder
Universitäts Hautklinik Göttingen, von Siebold Strasse 3, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
Hautarzt 58:62-7. 2007..Eight hedgehog caretakers from Göttingen and the surrounding area developed dermatophytosis caused by Trichophyton erinacei...
- Variation in restriction fragment length polymorphisms among serial isolates from patients with Trichophyton rubrum infectionA K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Science Center, Women s College Hospital, Sunnybrook Site, and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 39:3260-6. 2001Molecular genotyping of strains of Trichophyton rubrum and T...
- Species distribution and antifungal susceptibilities of dermatophytes during a one year period at a university hospital in TurkeyAydan Ozkutuk
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Inciralti Izmir, Turkey
Mycoses 50:125-9. 2007..The prevalence of dermatophytoses was 7.34% (68/926). Trichophyton rubrum was the most frequent dermatophyte isolated (56%) followed by T. mentagrophytes (38%), T. violaceum (1...
- Trichophyton tonsurans scalp carriage among wrestlers in a national competition in TurkeyMacit Ilkit
Division of Mycology, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cukurova, Adana, Turkey
Mycopathologia 172:215-22. 2011b>Trichophyton tonsurans tinea gladiatorum is an emerging epidemic among combat-sport athletes across the globe...
- Clinico-epidemiological and mycological aspects of tinea incognito in Iran: A 16-year studyAkram Ansar
Dermatology Department, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Hamadan, Iran
Med Mycol J 52:25-32. 2011..Tinea incognito is a dermatophytic infection in which topical or systemic steroids have modified the clinical appearance of the mycosis and mimicking other skin diseases...
- Non-dermatophyte moulds as pathogens of onychomycosisUmme Farwa
Department of Microbiology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rawalpindi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 21:597-600. 2011..To determine the role and pattern of non-dermatophyte moulds as causative agents of onychomycosis...
- An epidemic of tinea corporis caused by Trichophyton tonsurans among children (wrestlers) in GermanyM El Fari
Department of Microbiology and Hygiene, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Mycoses 43:191-6. 2000An outbreak of tinea corporis due to Trichophyton tonsurans among 46 children (aged 7-17 years) was investigated. Most of them were wrestlers...
- Effects of a thiosemicarbazide camphene derivative on Trichophyton mentagrophytesMirian Ueda Yamaguchi
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, PR, Brazil
Molecules 14:1796-807. 2009..The compound N(4)-[2,2-dimethyl-3-methylnorbornane]-thiosemicarbazide (TIO C) showed an antifungal effect on Trichophyton mentagrophytes, with values of MIC = 55 mmol L(-1) and MFC = 110 micromol L(-1)...
- rpb2 is a reliable reference gene for quantitative gene expression analysis in the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrumTiago R Jacob
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Mycol 50:368-77. 2012..Thus, we investigated the suitability of eight candidate reference genes in isolates of the human dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum subjected to several environmental challenges, such as drug exposure, interaction with human nail and ..
- Clinical evaluation of safety and efficacy of a new topical treatment for onychomycosisAdnan Nasir
Wake Research Associates, LLC, Raleigh, NC, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 10:1186-91. 2011..This clinical study assessed the safety and efficacy of an investigational topical product for the treatment of onychomycosis (nail fungus)...
- In vitro antifungal, anti-elastase and anti-keratinase activity of essential oils of Cinnamomum-, Syzygium- and Cymbopogon-species against Aspergillus fumigatus and Trichophyton rubrumMohd Sajjad Ahmad Khan
Department of Agricultural Microbiology, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh 202002, India
Phytomedicine 19:48-55. 2011..and geraniol respectively, on growth, hyphal ultrastructure and virulence factors of Aspergillus fumigatus and Trichophyton rubrum...
- A study on stability of phenotype and genotype of Trichophyton rubrumYang Guoling
Department of Bioengineering, Dalian University of Technology, 116024, Dalian, China
Mycopathologia 161:205-12. 2006To explore the stability of phenotype and genotype in Trichophyton rubrum.
- Identification and differentiation of Trichophyton rubrum clinical isolates using PCR-RFLP and RAPD methodsA Hryncewicz-Gwozdz
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology, Wrocław Medical University, Chałubińskiego 1, 50 368 Wrocław, Poland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30:727-31. 2011b>Trichophyton rubrum represents the most frequently isolated causative agent of superficial dermatophyte infections...
- Evaluation of a polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism assay for dermatophyte and nondermatophyte identification in onychomycosisO Bontems
Department of Dermatology, Laboratoire de Mycologie, BT422, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Dermatol 161:791-6. 2009..The correct identification of the aetiological agent of nail infections is necessary in order to recommend appropriate treatment...
- A rationale for systemic treatment in onychomycosis with negative results on fungal examinationB Amichai
Department of Dermatology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Clin Exp Dermatol 36:724-7. 2011..Laboratory confirmation of fungal infection is currently accepted as a requirement before initiation of antifungal treatment in clinical practice...
- The vapor activity of oregano, perilla, tea tree, lavender, clove, and geranium oils against a Trichophyton mentagrophytes in a closed boxShigeharu Inouye
Teikyo University Institute of Medical Mycology, 256 Otsuka, Hachioji, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0395, Japan
J Infect Chemother 12:349-54. 2006The vapor activity of six essential oils against a Trichophyton mentagrophytes was examined using a closed box. The antifungal activity was determined from colony size, which was correlated with the inoculum size...
- Trichophyton tonsurans tinea capitis and tinea corporis: treatment and follow-up of four affected family membersJ Ravenscroft
Department of Dermatology, Leeds General Infirmary, West Yorkshire, England
Pediatr Dermatol 17:407-9. 2000..practitioners and their two children, ages 2 years and 6 months, simultaneously infected with the dermatophyte Trichophyton tonsurans, causing tinea capitis and tinea corporis in the children and tinea corporis in the parents...
- The first case of tinea faciei caused by Trichophyton mentagrophytes var. erinacei isolated in ChileMarcela Concha
Departments of Dermatology Infectology Clinical Laboratory, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Int J Dermatol 51:283-5. 2012b>Trichophyton mentagrophytes var. erinacei is a zoophilic dermatophyte transmitted by hedgehogs which human infections manifest as highly inflammatory and pruritic eruptions.
- Screening for asymptomatic carriage of Trichophyton tonsurans in household contacts of patients with tinea capitis: results of 209 patients from South LondonJ M L White
Department of Cutaneous Allergy, St John s Institute of Dermatology, London, UK
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 21:1061-4. 2007There is currently an epidemic of tinea capitis in urban areas of developed countries caused by Trichophyton tonsurans. Recurrence or re-infection with dermatophyte is not uncommon after adequate oral treatment...
- Trichophyton mentagrophytes sive interdigitale? A dermatophyte in the course of timePietro Nenoff
Laboratory for Medical Microbiology, Mölbis, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 5:198-202. 2007Originally, the Trichophyton (T.) mentagrophytes complex distinguished between the anthropophilic subspecies T. mentagrophytes var. interdigitale, T. mentagrophytes var. nodulare (synonym T. krajdenii), and T. mentagrophytes var...
- Inhibition of dermatophytes by optical brightenersJ Brasch
Department of Dermatology, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Mycoses 46:120-5. 2003..Typical strains of Trichophyton rubrum, T...
- Trichophyton violaceum is the dominant cause of tinea capitis in children in Tripoli, Libya: results of a two year surveyMohamed S Ellabib
Department of Medical Microbiology, Medical College, Al Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya
Mycopathologia 153:145-7. 2002..The etiological agents were identified in 584 cases. Trichophyton violaceum was found to be the most prevalent organism isolated being responsible for 64...
- Trichophyton tonsurans-Ringworm in an NICUAnn Vivian Sproul
Townsville Hospital, North Queensland, Australia
Neonatal Netw 28:305-8. 2009..We report an infection with the dermatophyte Trichophyton tonsurans, the most common cause of tinea capitis in children but not yet described in a premature baby who has ..
- Evaluation of a PCR melting profile method for intraspecies differentiation of Trichophyton rubrum and Trichophyton interdigitaleJustyna Leibner-Ciszak
Gdansk University of Technology, Chemical Faculty, Department of Microbiology, ul Narutowicza 11 12, 80 233 Gdansk, Poland
J Med Microbiol 59:185-92. 2010..PCR-MP and random amplification of polymorphic DNA (RAPD) were used to type 11 isolates of Trichophyton rubrum, 40 isolates of Trichophyton interdigitale and 14 isolates of Microsporum canis...
- Molecular strain typing of Trichophyton rubrum indicates multiple strain involvement in onychomycosisA Yazdanparast
Iran University of Medical Sciences and Health Sciences, PO Box 15875 6171, Tehran, Iran
Br J Dermatol 148:51-4. 2003b>Trichophyton rubrum is an important cause of onychomycosis. Molecular strain typing methods have recently been developed to address questions of epidemiology and source of relapse following treatment.
- Transcriptional profiling reveals the expression of novel genes in response to various stimuli in the human dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrumNalu T A Peres
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
BMC Microbiol 10:39. 2010..mycoses are common human infections among healthy and immunocompromised hosts, and the anthropophilic fungus Trichophyton rubrum is the most prevalent microorganism isolated from such clinical cases worldwide...
- Increased incidence of Trichophyton tonsurans tinea capitis in Ontario, Canada between 1985 and 1996A K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Science Center and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Mycol 36:55-60. 1998In Canada, since the 1990s, Trichophyton tonsurans has emerged as the main cause of tinea capitis. Prior to this the more common agents were T. verrucosum, Microsporum canis and M. audouinii. Over the past few years the incidence of T...
- Epidemiological and aetiological study on tinea pedis and onychomycosis in AlgeriaAssya Djeridane
Service de Dermatologie, Hôpital Central de l Armée, Kouba, Algiers, Algeria
Mycoses 49:190-6. 2006..The yeast species Candida parapsilosis and the dermatophytic species Trichophyton rubrum were shown to be the most common pathogens in both tinea pedis (C. parapsilosis 20.4%; T...
- Ciclopirox nail lacquer for the treatment of onychomycosis: an open non-comparative studyAvner Shemer
Department of Dermatology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Dermatol 37:137-9. 2010..Thirty-six patients completed the 9-month regimen. Trichophyton rubrum was the most common pathogen...
- The first isolation in Japan of Trichophyton mentagrophytes var. erinacei causing tinea manuumTakashi Mochizuki
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa Medical University, Uchinada, Ishikawa, Japan
Int J Dermatol 44:765-8. 2005
- The pH signaling transcription factor PacC mediates the growth of Trichophyton rubrum on human nail in vitroMonica S Ferreira-Nozawa
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Med Mycol 44:641-5. 2006..e., growth of the dermatophyte T. rubrum appear to be related to molecular events which depend on the action of protein PacC...
- Tinea capitis: fluconazole in Trichophyton tonsurans infectionM G Mercurio
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, New York, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 15:229-32. 1998Tinea capitis is the most common dermatophyte infection in children. Trichophyton tonsurans is the most common etiologic agent in the United States, and for more than four decades the standard therapy has been griseofulvin...
- Study of clinically suspected onychomycosis in a podiatric populationMaureen B Jennings
New York College of Podiatric Medicine, 1800 Park Ave, New York, NY 10035, USA
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 92:327-30. 2002..Of the 1,800 medical charts reviewed, 214 had culture results, of which 120 were positive. Trichophyton rubrum was the most prevalent pathogen, found in 67% of positive cultures...
- Evaluation of antifungal efficacy in an optimized animal model of Trichophyton mentagrophytes-dermatophytosisM A Ghannoum
Center for Medical Mycology, Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5028, USA
J Chemother 16:139-44. 2004..The optimized guinea pig model was found to be highly reproducible, and useful in the primary screening and evaluation of the anti-dermatophytic efficacy of topical and oral formulations of antifungal agents...
- Rapid identification and differentiation of Trichophyton species, based on sequence polymorphisms of the ribosomal internal transcribed spacer regions, by rolling-circle amplificationFanrong Kong
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Westmead Hospital, Darcy Road, Westmead, New South Wales 2145, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 46:1192-9. 2008..demonstrated relatively limited polymorphisms within the fungal internal transcribed spacer (ITS) regions among Trichophyton spp. We sequenced the ITS region (ITS1, 5...
- Molecular taxonomy of Trichophyton mentagrophytes and T. tonsuransY Graser
Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene, Department of Parasitology Charité, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Med Mycol 37:315-30. 1999Most members of the anamorph genus Trichophyton are anthropophilic and have evolved with the human host...
- The effects of laser irradiation on Trichophyton rubrum growthEmre Vural
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham, Slot 543, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Lasers Med Sci 23:349-53. 2008The effects of various laser wavelengths and fluences on the fungal isolate, Trichophyton rubrum, were examined in vitro. Standard-size isolates of T. rubrum were irradiated by using various laser systems...
- Morphological changes of the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum after photodynamic treatment: a scanning electron microscopy studyThrees G M Smijs
Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Med Mycol 46:315-25. 2008Treatment strategies for superficial mycosis caused by the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum consist of the use of topical or oral antifungal preparations. We have recently discovered that T...
- Morphological evidences for onion-induced growth inhibition of Trichophyton rubrum and Trichophyton mentagrophytesMasoomeh Shams Ghahfarokhi
Department of Mycology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran, Iran
Fitoterapia 75:645-55. 2004The antifungal activity of onion (Allium cepa L.) on two important dermatophytes, Trichophyton rubrum and Trichophyton mentagrophytes, with special reference to morphological aspects was studied...
- Combinatorial anti-Trichophyton effects of Ligusticum chuanxiong essential oil components with antibioticsYoun Sim
College of Pharmacy, Duksung Women s University, Ssangmoondong 419, Dobongku, Seoul, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 31:497-502. 2008..Checkerboard microtiter and microdilution tests were used to measure combined effects against Trichophyton species, T. erinacei, T. mentagrophytes, T. rubrum, T. schoenleinii, T. tonsurans and T. soudanense...
- Investigation of conditions involved in the susceptibility of the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum to photodynamic treatmentThrees G M Smijs
Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:750-9. 2007..5,10,15-tris(4-methylpyridinium)-20-phenyl-[21H,23H]-porphine trichloride (Sylsens B) and deuteroporphyrin monomethylester (DP mme) are excellent photosensitizers to be used against Trichophyton rubrum both in vitro and ex vivo.
- Effect of citral, eugenol, nerolidol and alpha-terpineol on the ultrastructural changes of Trichophyton mentagrophytesM J Park
Dept of Forest Sciences, Seoul National University, Gwanakgu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Fitoterapia 80:290-6. 2009The antifungal effects of citral, eugenol, nerolidol and alpha-terpineol on Trichophyton mentagrophytes were investigated. Citral over 0.1 mg/ml strongly inhibited the hyphal growth of T...
- Rylux BSU stimulates spore germination in Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Aspergillus fumigatus and increases the survival rate after UV-irradiationV Chalupová
Department of Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Palacky University, 775 15 Olomouc, Czechia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 47:152-6. 2002Calcofluor-allied optical brightener Rylux BSU stimulated spore germination rate in Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Aspergillus fumigatus both if supplemented into Sabouraud glucose agar and if used for pretreatment of spore suspension ..
- An experience from an outbreak of tinea capitis gladiatorum due to Trichophyton tonsuransS Ergin
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Clin Exp Dermatol 31:212-4. 2006..Of the 32 wrestlers, 29, aged 12-18 years, were affected, of whom 22 had scalp involvement. Trichophyton tonsurans was isolated from 20 of the patients, and T. mentagrophytes from the remaining two...
- Chronic pyoderma vegetans triggered by Trichophyton mentagrophytesM Skorepová
Mycoses 49:143-4. 2006..A case that started as a therapeutically resistant tinea of the hand caused by Trichophyton mentagrophytes is described...
- Molecular characterization of dermatophytes of the Trichophyton mentagrophytes complex found in Taiwan with emphasis on their correlation with clinical observationsP L Sun
Department of Dermatology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Br J Dermatol 163:1312-8. 2010Fungi of the Trichophyton mentagrophytes complex are important pathogenic dermatophytes capable of causing various human skin infections. There are many species and varieties involved in this complex...
- Susceptibility testing of amorolfine, bifonazole and ciclopiroxolamine against Trichophyton rubrum in an in vitro model of dermatophyte nail infectionMartin Schaller
Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Med Mycol 47:753-8. 2009..Amorolfine showed the most effective fungistatic and fungicidal activity in vitro against seven clinical Trichophyton rubrum nail isolates, followed in descending order by ciclopiroxolamine and bifonazole...
- Comparison of a glucose consumption based method with the CLSI M38-A method for testing antifungal susceptibility of Trichophyton rubrum and Trichophyton mentagrophytesJing Zhang
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510630, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 123:1909-14. 2010..However, it is not a very practical method for the clinical laboratory in routine susceptibility testing. In this test, we developed a novel rapid susceptibility assay-glucose consumption method (GCM) for dermatophytes...
- Antifungal effects of the volatile oils from Allium plants against Trichophyton species and synergism of the oils with ketoconazoleM S Pyun
College of Pharmacy, Duksung Women s University, Seoul 132 714, Republic of Korea
Phytomedicine 13:394-400. 2006..pekinense, A. cepa, and A. fistulosum against three Trichophyton species responsible for severe mycoses in humans were investigated and compared with activity of allicin in ..
- Disseminated dermal Trichophyton rubrum infection - an expression of dermatophyte dimorphism?Joseph V Lillis
Department of Dermatology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Cutan Pathol 37:1168-9. 2010We present a case of disseminated dermal infection caused by Trichophyton rubrum (T. rubrum)...
- Direct antifungal effect of femtosecond laser on Trichophyton rubrum onychomycosisZakhariya Manevitch
Department of Applied Physics, Selim and Rachel Benin School of Engineering and Computer Science, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
Photochem Photobiol 86:476-9. 2010..Nail cuttings obtained from patients with onychomycosis caused by Trichophyton rubrum underwent fsec laser irradiation using increasing laser intensities with the focus scanned throughout ..
- Isolation of transcripts overexpressed in the human pathogen Trichophyton rubrum grown in lipid as carbon sourceFernanda C A Maranhão
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Can J Microbiol 57:333-8. 2011b>Trichophyton rubrum is the most common etiological agent of human dermatophytosis. Despite the incidence and medical importance of this dermatophyte, little is known about the mechanisms of host invasion and pathogenicity...
- Fungistatic effects of optical brightener 220 against Trichophyton tonsurans, Aspergillus fumigatus and Candida albicansGolnar Sadeghi
Department of Mycology, Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran, Iran
J Dermatolog Treat 20:120-3. 2009..Moreover, there are some opportunistic fungi such as Aspergillus fumigatus (mycelial form) and Candida albicans (yeasty form) that in immunosuppressed patients can cause cutaneous disease...
- [Establishing an experimental guinea pig model of dermatophytosis Using Trichophyton rubrum]Xian Jin Chen
Department of Fungal Skin Disease, Institute of Dermatology, CAMS and PUMC, Nanjing 210042, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 30:599-602. 2008To construct an animal model infected by Trichophyton rubrum.
- Trichophyton tonsurans associated tinea corporis infection with the development of Majocchi's granuloma in a renal transplant patientVidya Rajpara
University of Miami, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Department of Dermatology, FL 33136, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 4:767-9. 2005b>Trichophyton tonsurans is an uncommon cause of tinea corporis, and an even more uncommon cause of Majocchi's granuloma. We report a patient who developed tinea corporis with Majocchi's granuloma from T. tonsurans infection...
- Stimulation, inhibition and death of macrophages infected with Trichophyton rubrumM R M Campos
Departamento de Analises Clinicas e Toxicologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Avenida Prof Lineu Prestes, 580, Bloco 17, CEP 05508 900, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Microbes Infect 8:372-9. 2006b>Trichophyton rubrum is the most common pathogen causing dermatophytosis, accounting for approximately 80% of the reported cases of onychomycosis. Since 90% of the chronic dermatophyte infections are caused by T...
- Deep dermatophytosis caused by Trichophyton rubrum: report of two casesJ Q Gong
Institute of Dermatology, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Nanjing, China
Mycoses 50:102-8. 2007Two patients presenting with subcutaneous nodules, plaques, papules and ulceration caused by Trichophyton rubrum are described in this report...
- [Scarring tinea profunda in the pubic area due to Trichophyton verrucosum]S Grunewald
Klinik fur Dermatologie, Venerologie und Allergologie, Universitatsklinikum Leipzig
Hautarzt 57:811-3. 2006..Fungal culture revealed a slowly growing white dermatophyte, first differentiated as Trichophyton mentagrophytes...
- Cytokine secretion profiles of human keratinocytes during Trichophyton tonsurans and Arthroderma benhamiae infectionsYumi Shiraki
Department of Dermatology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, and Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Juntendo University Nerima Hospital, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
J Med Microbiol 55:1175-85. 2006..Arthroderma benhamiae, a zoophilic dermatophyte, triggers severe inflammatory responses in humans, while Trichophyton tonsurans, an anthropophilic dermatophyte, triggers minimal ones...
- Microsatellite markers reveal geographic population differentiation in Trichophyton rubrumYvonne Gräser
Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene Charité, Humboldt University, Dorotheenstr 96, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Med Microbiol 56:1058-65. 2007A worldwide selection of more than 200 isolates of the anthropophilic dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum were analysed using seven microsatellite markers...
- Trichophyton species susceptibility to green and red propolis from BrazilA B S Siqueira
Department of Mycology, Federal University of Pernambuco UFPE, Recife PE, Brazil
Lett Appl Microbiol 48:90-6. 2009The in vitro antifungal activity of Brazilian green and red propolis was tested against different species of Trichophyton.
- Secretion of keratinolytic enzymes and keratinolysis by Scopulariopsis brevicaulis and Trichophyton mentagrophytes: regression analysisP Anbu
Centre for Advanced Studies in Botany, University of Madras, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Can J Microbiol 52:1060-9. 2006..state of Arthroderma tuberculatum, Paecilomyces carneus, Scopulariopsis brevicaulis, Trichoderma viride, and Trichophyton mentagrophytes were efficient candidates to degrade the feathers...
- A novel ex vivo skin model to study the susceptibility of the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum to photodynamic treatment in different growth phasesThrees G M Smijs
Leiden University Medical Centre, Skin Research Laboratory, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:433-40. 2007..This is especially true for infections caused by Trichophyton rubrum, a widely distributed dermatophyte...
- Rapid identification of Trichophyton tonsurans by PCR-RFLP analysis of ribosomal DNA regionsTakashi Mochizuki
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa Medical University, Uchinada, Ishikawa 920 0293, Japan
J Dermatol Sci 32:25-32. 2003Culture morphology of Trichophyton (T.) tonsurans, an emerging pathogen of dermatophytosis in Japan, varies widely and species level identification is sometimes very difficult...
- Green fluorescent protein (GFP) as a vital marker for pathogenic development of the dermatophyte Trichophyton mentagrophytesGil Kaufman
Department of Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel
Microbiology 150:2785-90. 2004Skin infections by dermatophytes of the genus Trichophyton are widespread, but methods to investigate the molecular basis of pathogenicity are only starting to be developed...
- cDNA representational difference analysis used in the identification of genes expressed by Trichophyton rubrum during contact with keratinLilian Cristiane Baeza
Laboratório de Micologia Clínica, Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, UNESP, CEP 14801 902, 1621 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
Microbes Infect 9:1415-21. 2007..b>Trichophyton rubrum is an anthropophilic fungus, causing up to 90% of chronic cases of dermatophytosis...
- Molecular markers reveal exclusively clonal reproduction in Trichophyton rubrumY Graser
Department of Microbiology and Hygiene Charité Virchow, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 37:3713-7. 1999Genotypic variability among 96 Trichophyton rubrum strains which displayed different colony morphologies and were collected from four continents was investigated...
- Molecular analysis and mating behaviour of the Trichophyton mentagrophytes species complexFrancoise Symoens
Scientific Institute of Public Health, Mycology Aerobiology Section, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Med Microbiol 301:260-6. 2011Isolates of the Trichophyton mentagrophytes complex vary phenotypically...
- Insights into a nonhomologous integration pathway in the dermatophyte Trichophyton mentagrophytes: efficient targeted gene disruption by use of mutants lacking ligase IVMohamed Mahdi Alshahni
Teikyo University Institute of Medical Mycology, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 55:34-43. 2011Targeted gene disruption experiments in Trichophyton mentagrophytes are impeded by the dominant of repair of DNA double strand breaks through a nonhomologous end joining pathway (NHEJ)...
- Global gene expression profiles for the growth phases of Trichophyton rubrumXingye Xu
Key Laboratory of Animal Epidemiology and Zoonosis, Ministry of Agriculture, and State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing, 100094, China
Sci China Life Sci 54:675-82. 2011b>Trichophyton rubrum (T. rubrum) is a common superficial fungus. Molecular and genetic studies of T. rubrum are still limited...
- Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of the dermatophyte, Trichophyton mentagrophytes: an efficient tool for gene transferTsuyoshi Yamada
Teikyo University Institute of Medical Mycology, Teikyo University, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
Med Mycol 47:485-94. 2009..transformation (ATMT) was used to facilitate gene transfer into the clinically important dermatophyte, Trichophyton mentagrophytes (teleomorph: Arthroderma vanbreuseghemii)...
- Differentiation of Trichophyton rubrum clinical isolates from Japanese and Chinese patients by randomly amplified polymorphic DNA and DNA sequence analysis of the non-transcribed spacer region of the rRNA geneXiumin Yang
Department of Dermatology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
J Dermatol Sci 54:38-42. 2009b>Trichophyton rubrum is the most common pathogen causing dermatophytosis worldwide. Recent genetic investigations showed that the microorganism originated in Africa and then spread to Europe and North America via Asia.
- Origins of microsatellite diversity in the Trichophyton rubrum-T. violaceum clade (Dermatophytes)T Ohst
Department of Parasitology Charité, Institut für Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 42:4444-8. 2004We analyzed the population structure of the anthropophilic dermatophyte species Trichophyton violaceum, which mainly causes tinea capitis, and T. rubrum, the most frequently isolated agent of dermatophytosis worldwide...
- Targeting the calcineurin pathway enhances ergosterol biosynthesis inhibitors against Trichophyton mentagrophytes in vitro and in a human skin infection modelChiatogu Onyewu
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3743-6. 2007Fluconazole-FK506 or fluconazole-cyclosporine drug combinations were tested in an ex vivo Trichophyton mentagrophytes human skin infection model...
- Development of transformation system for Trichophyton rubrum by electroporation of germinated conidiaAnita Dobrowolska
Department of Genetics of Microorganisms, University of Lodz, Banacha 12 16, 90 237, Lodz, Poland
Curr Genet 55:537-42. 2009..The genetic transformation systems of dermatophytes were successfully applied to Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Microsporum canis...
- Steroid metabolism as a mechanism of escape from progesterone-mediated growth inhibition in Trichophyton mentagrophytesK V Clemons
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305
J Biol Chem 264:11186-92. 1989It has been shown by us and others that progesterone inhibits the growth of Trichophyton mentagrophytes and that the organism escapes from this inhibition over time...
- Evaluating Trichophyton tonsurans Carriage and InfectionSusan Abdel Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Of particular interest is that a single species of fungus, namely Trichophyton tonsurans, is responsible for both clinical presentations...
- TRICHOPHYTON AND ASPERGILLUS IMMUNOLOGY AND LUNG DISEASEThomas Platts Mills; Fiscal Year: 1999..two fungi: Aspergillus fumigatus that commonly grows in the respiratory tract, and dermatophytes of the genus Trichophyton that grow on the skin or nails...
- ASTHMA AND ALLERGIC DISEASES CENTERThomas Platts Mills; Fiscal Year: 2000..A subgroup of these patients are colonized with Trichophyton, and have T cells that produce IL-5 in response to fungal proteins...
- Development of a New Topical Antifungal AgentSheldon Pinnell; Fiscal Year: 2006..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A novel antifungal chemical has been identified that is capable of killing Trichophyton rubrum with high sensitivity. The antifungal activity is specific for dermatophyte and not other fungi...
- Development of a New Topical Antifungal AgentSheldon Pinnell; Fiscal Year: 2002A novel antifungal chemical has been identified that is capable of killing Trichophyton rubrum with high sensitivity. The substance is highly water soluble, nontoxic, widely available, and relatively inexpensive...
- FUNGAL PROTEIN/GLYCOPROTEIN EXPRESSION IN TINEA CAPITISSusan Abdel Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Biology and Drug Resistance of Candida BiofilmsMahmoud Ghannoum; Fiscal Year: 2005..albicans biofilms. By studying biofilm model systems and applying this knowledge to the patient population, we will gain a wealth of data about the biology and drug resistance of C. albicans in biofilms. ..
- MECHANISM OF IL-12 INHIBITION BY CANDIDA ALBICANSMahmoud Ghannoum; Fiscal Year: 2009..Data obtained from these studies will lead to a better understanding of the complex immune response to CA infection and may identify novel prevention/treatment strategies for candidiasis. ..
- CYTOTOXIC T LYMPHOCYTE RESPONSE TO HPV 16Mayumi Nakagawa; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Gordon Conf. on Cellular and Molecular Fungal BiologyJames Kronstad; Fiscal Year: 2004..In summary, the conference provides a unique opportunity to examine the breadth of fungal biology in a small meeting format that encourages in-depth discussion among the attendees. ..