Genomes and Genes
trypanosoma brucei gambiense
Summary: A hemoflagellate subspecies of parasitic protozoa that causes Gambian or West African sleeping sickness in humans. The vector host is usually the tsetse fly (Glossina).
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- The elimination of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sickness in the focus of Luba, Bioko Island, Equatorial GuineaP P Simarro
Sleeping Sickness Control Centre, Bata, Equatorial Guinea
Trop Med Int Health 11:636-46. 2006..First-stage cases were treated with pentamidine and second-stage cases with melarsoprol. A few relapses and very advanced cases were treated with eflornithine. The last sleeping sickness case was identified and treated in 1995...
- Human African trypanosomiasisReto Brun
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Lancet 375:148-59. 2010..Almost all cases are due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, which is indigenous to west and central Africa...
- Nifurtimox-eflornithine combination therapy for second-stage African Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasis: a multicentre, randomised, phase III, non-inferiority trialGerardo Priotto
Epicentre, Paris, France
Lancet 374:56-64. 2009Human African trypanosomiasis (HAT; sleeping sickness) caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense is a fatal disease. Current treatment options for patients with second-stage disease are toxic, ineffective, or impractical...
- The Atlas of human African trypanosomiasis: a contribution to global mapping of neglected tropical diseasesPere P Simarro
World Health Organization, Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases, Innovative and Intensified Disease Management, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Int J Health Geogr 9:57. 2010..For this reason WHO launched the HAT Atlas initiative, jointly implemented with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, in the framework of the Programme Against African Trypanosomosis...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 and intercellular adhesion molecule 1 are powerful staging markers for human African trypanosomiasisAlexandre Hainard
Biomedical Proteomics Research Group, Medical University Centre, Geneva, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 16:119-26. 2011....
- Options for field diagnosis of human african trypanosomiasisFrancois Chappuis
Travel and Migration Medicine Unit, Geneva University Hospital, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Clin Microbiol Rev 18:133-46. 2005Human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense or T. b. rhodesiense remains highly prevalent in several rural areas of sub-Saharan Africa and is lethal if left untreated...
- The genome sequence of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, causative agent of chronic human african trypanosomiasisAndrew P Jackson
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e658. 2010b>Trypanosoma brucei gambiense is the causative agent of chronic Human African Trypanosomiasis or sleeping sickness, a disease endemic across often poor and rural areas of Western and Central Africa...
- Diagnosis of human sleeping sickness: sense and sensitivitySally L Wastling
Centre for Infectious Diseases, Division of Pathway Medicine, School of Biomedical Sciences, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, The University of Edinburgh, The Chancellor s Building, UK
Trends Parasitol 27:394-402. 2011..Here recent trends in the development of diagnostics for sleeping sickness are considered and progress towards a much-needed sensitive, specific and affordable point-of-care diagnostic is assessed...
- A combined CXCL10, CXCL8 and H-FABP panel for the staging of human African trypanosomiasis patientsAlexandre Hainard
Biomedical Proteomics Research Group, Medical University Centre, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e459. 2009..We hypothesized that markers of brain damage discovered by proteomic strategies and inflammation-related proteins could individually or in combination indicate the CNS invasion by the parasite...
- The burden of human African trypanosomiasisEric M Fèvre
Centre for Infectious Diseases, University of Edinburgh, Ashworth Laboratories, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e333. 2008..or sleeping sickness) is a protozoan parasitic infection caused by Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense or Trypanosoma brucei gambiense. These are neglected tropical diseases, and T.b. rhodesiense HAT is a zoonosis...
- Efficacy of 10-day melarsoprol schedule 2 years after treatment for late-stage gambiense sleeping sicknessC Schmid
Swiss Tropical Institute, 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Lancet 364:789-90. 2004..After 2 years, 23 (5%) relapsing patients were reported, 11 (5%) in the standard treatment group and 12 (6%) in the new group. The results at the 2-year follow-up support and strengthen our previous findings...
- Diagnostic accuracy of PCR in gambiense sleeping sickness diagnosis, staging and post-treatment follow-up: a 2-year longitudinal studyStijn Deborggraeve
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e972. 2011..The polymerase chain reaction (PCR) has been proposed for diagnosis, staging and post-treatment follow-up of sleeping sickness but no large-scale clinical evaluations of its diagnostic accuracy have taken place yet...
- How to shorten patient follow-up after treatment for Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sicknessDieudonné Mumba Ngoyi
Department of Parasitology, Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
J Infect Dis 201:453-63. 2010..CONCLUSION. Combining criteria for failure and cure allows follow-up of patients with second-stage human African trypanosomiasis to be shortened to a maximum duration of 12 months...
- African trypanosomiasis: sensitive and rapid detection of the sub-genus Trypanozoon by loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) of parasite DNAZ K Njiru
School of Nursing Peel Campus, Murdoch University, Carleton Place, 15 17 Mandurah, WA 6210, Australia
Int J Parasitol 38:589-99. 2008..Since the LAMP test shows a high tolerance to different biological substances, determination of the appropriate protocols for processing the template to make it a user-friendly technique, prior to large scale evaluation, is needed...
- Expression and role of CXCL10 during the encephalitic stage of experimental and clinical African trypanosomiasisDaniel N Amin
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Infect Dis 200:1556-65. 2009..Human African trypanosomiasis, caused by Trypanosoma brucei, involves an early hemolymphatic stage followed by a late encephalitic stage...
- New treatment option for second-stage African sleeping sickness: in vitro and in vivo efficacy of aza analogs of DB289Tanja Wenzler
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4185-92. 2009..In conclusion, DB868 with oral and DB829 with parenteral application are potential candidates for further development of a second-stage African sleeping sickness drug...
- Diversity of response to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense infections in the Forecariah mangrove focus (Guinea): perspectives for a better control of sleeping sicknessHamidou Ilboudo
Centre International de Recherche Développement sur l Elevage en zone Subhumide CIRDES, 01BP454 Bobo Dioulasso 01, Burkina Faso
Microbes Infect 13:943-52. 2011..In the context where disease prevalence is sufficiently low, treating SERO TL⁺ individual may thus be of crucial importance in order to cut transmission...
- Emerging trends in the diagnosis of human African TrypanosomiasisMagdalena Radwanska
Science Officer for Strategic Activities, European Cooperation for Science and Technology, COST Office, Avenue Louise 149, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Parasitology 137:1977-86. 2010Human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) or sleeping sickness is caused by protozoan parasites Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and T. b. rhodesiense...
- Differences between Trypanosoma brucei gambiense groups 1 and 2 in their resistance to killing by trypanolytic factor 1Paul Capewell
College of Medical, Veterinary and Biological Sciences, Wellcome Trust Centre for Molecular Parasitology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1287. 2011..Here we investigate if this is also true in group 2 parasites...
- Digital gene expression analysis of two life cycle stages of the human-infective parasite, Trypanosoma brucei gambiense reveals differentially expressed clusters of co-regulated genesNicola J Veitch
Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8TA, UK
BMC Genomics 11:124. 2010..To investigate this in the clinically relevant sub-species, Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, which is the causative agent of the fatal human disease African sleeping sickness, we have compared ..
- Novel markers for treatment outcome in late-stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasisVeerle Lejon
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerpen, Belgium
Clin Infect Dis 47:15-22. 2008..The accuracy of biological markers for prediction of treatment outcome of HAT caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense was assessed.
- Eliminating human African trypanosomiasis: where do we stand and what comes next?Pere P Simarro
World Health Organization, Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases, Innovative and Intensified Disease Management, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Med 5:e55. 2008
- A spectrum of disease in human African trypanosomiasis: the host and parasite genetics of virulenceJeremy M Sternberg
Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Zoology Building, Aberdeen AB242TZ, UK
Parasitology 137:2007-15. 2010..gambiense infection and low virulence forms of T. b. rhodesiense infection in humans. While in both cases the mechanisms remain to be elucidated, the overall infection virulence phenotype is determined by both parasite and host genotype...
- The natural progression of Gambiense sleeping sickness: what is the evidence?Francesco Checchi
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e303. 2008..Self-resolving and asymptomatic chronic infections probably constitute a minority if they do indeed exist. Chronic carriage, however, deserves further study, as it could seed renewed epidemics after control programmes cease...
- Card agglutination test for trypanosomiasis (CATT) end-dilution titer and cerebrospinal fluid cell count as predictors of human African Trypanosomiasis (Trypanosoma brucei gambiense) among serologically suspected individuals in southern SudanFrancois Chappuis
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Swiss Section, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:313-7. 2004The diagnosis of human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense relies on an initial serologic screening with the card agglutination test for trypanosomiasis (CATT) for T. b...
- Review Article: cerebrospinal fluid in human African trypanosomiasis: a key to diagnosis, therapeutic decision and post-treatment follow-upV Lejon
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerpen, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 10:395-403. 2005..This paper reviews clinical presentation, diagnosis and treatment of the disease, with emphasis on CSF characteristics and interpretation of the CSF results for therapeutic decision and post-treatment follow-up...
- Detection of Group 1 Trypanosoma brucei gambiense by loop-mediated isothermal amplificationZ K Njiru
School of Veterinary Sciences, University of Queensland, Gatton, QLD 4343, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 49:1530-6. 2011b>Trypanosoma brucei gambiense group 1 is the major causative agent of the Gambian human African trypanosomiasis (HAT)...
- Untreated human infections by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense are not 100% fatalVincent Jamonneau
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Unité Mixte de Recherche IRD CIRAD 177, Campus International de Baillarguet, Montpellier, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1691. 2012The final outcome of infection by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, the main agent of sleeping sickness, has always been considered as invariably fatal...
- Field evaluation of the CATT/Trypanosoma brucei gambiense on blood-impregnated filter papers for diagnosis of human African trypanosomiasis in southern SudanF Chappuis
Médecins Sans Frontières MSF Switzerland, Geneva, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 7:942-8. 2002Most Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) control programmes in areas endemic for Trypanosoma brucei gambiense rely on a strategy of active mass screening with the Card Agglutination Test for Trypanosomiasis (CATT)/T. b. gambiense...
- Isolation of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense from cured and relapsed sleeping sickness patients and adaptation to laboratory micePatient Pati Pyana
Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale, Kinshasa Gombe, Democratic Republic of the Congo
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1025. 2011..A major constraint for this type of investigation is that T.b. gambiense is particularly difficult to isolate and adapt to classical laboratory rodents...
- Phylogeography and taxonomy of Trypanosoma bruceiOliver Balmer
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e961. 2011..Characterizing the evolutionary relationships and population structure of parasites can provide important insights into the epidemiology of human disease...
- Trypanosomiasis and the brainJean Rodgers
Institute of Comparative Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Glasgow, Bearsden Road, Glasgow
Parasitology 137:1995-2006. 2010....
- Identification of mimotopes with diagnostic potential for Trypanosoma brucei gambiense variant surface glycoproteins using human antibody fractionsLiesbeth Van Nieuwenhove
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1682. 2012..We therefore aimed at identifying peptides that mimic epitopes, hence called "mimotopes," specific to T.b. gambiense VSGs and that may replace the native proteins in antibody detection tests...
- Cerebrospinal fluid B lymphocyte identification for diagnosis and follow-up in human African trypanosomiasis in the fieldBernard Bouteille
University of Limoges, France
Trop Med Int Health 15:454-61. 2010....
- First evidence that parasite infecting apparent aparasitemic serological suspects in human African trypanosomiasis are Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and are similar to those found in patientsJacques Kaboré
UMR 177 IRD CIRAD, Centre International de Recherche Développement sur l Elevage en zone Subhumide CIRDES, 01 BP 454 Bobo Dioulasso 01, Burkina Faso
Infect Genet Evol 11:1250-5. 2011..the card agglutination test for trypanosomiasis (CATT) is widely used for serological screening of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense human African trypanosomiasis (HAT)...
- Cynaropicrin: the first plant natural product with in vivo activity against Trypanosoma bruceiStefanie Zimmermann
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Division of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50, Basel, Switzerland
Planta Med 78:553-6. 2012..8, 62, and 9.5 were determined. This is the first report of a plant natural product with potent IN VIVO activity against TRYPANOSOMA BRUCEI...
- Comparison of operational criteria for treatment outcome in gambiense human African trypanosomiasisD Mumba Ngoyi
Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale, Avenue de la Démocratie, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Trop Med Int Health 14:438-44. 2009....
- Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense isolates from Ibba, South Sudan, an area of high melarsoprol treatment failure rateNaomi Maina
Trypanosomiasis Research Institute TRC, PO Box 362, Kikuyu, Kenya
Acta Trop 104:84-90. 2007..The aim of this study was to look for evidence of drug resistance in Trypanosoma brucei gambiense isolates from sleeping sickness patients in Ibba, South Sudan, an area of high melarsoprol failure rate...
- Trypanosoma brucei gambiense: HMI-9 medium containing methylcellulose and human serum supports the continuous axenic in vitro propagation of the bloodstream formN Van Reet
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Department of Parasitology, Nationalestraat 155, 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Exp Parasitol 128:285-90. 2011..1% (w/v) methylcellulose, 15% (v/v) fetal calf serum and 5% (v/v) heat-inactivated human serum...
- Identification of peptide mimotopes of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense variant surface glycoproteinsLiesbeth Carolien Van Nieuwenhove
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1189. 2011..We aimed to identify mimotopic peptides for epitopes of T.b. gambiense VSGs that, when produced synthetically, can replace the native proteins in antibody detection tests...
- Cerebrospinal fluid neopterin as marker of the meningo-encephalitic stage of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sicknessNatalia Tiberti
Biomedical Proteomics Research Group, Department of Human Protein Sciences, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 7:e40909. 2012..In the present study we evaluated the potential of CXCL10, CXCL13, ICAM-1, VCAM-1, MMP-9, B2MG, neopterin and IgM to complement current methods for staging Trypanosoma brucei gambiense patients.
- Influence of habitat and seasonal variation on wild mammal diversity and distribution with special reference to the Trypanosoma brucei gambiense host-reservoir in Bipindi (Cameroon)Jacques Anselme Massussi
Institute of Agricultural Research for Development, P O Box 167, Meyomessala, Cameroon
Acta Trop 112:308-15. 2009..of wild mammals, with special reference to those recognised as potential host-reservoirs of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in Bipindi (southwestern Cameroon)...
- Detection of trypanosome-specific antibodies in saliva, towards non-invasive serological diagnosis of sleeping sicknessV Lejon
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 11:620-7. 2006..We wanted to optimize the test format of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)-based antibody detection system...
- Population genetic structure of Central African Trypanosoma brucei gambiense isolates using microsatellite DNA markersGustave Simo
Medical Research Centre, Institute of Medical Research and Medicinal Plant Studies IMPM MINRESI, PO Box 6163, Yaounde, Cameroon
Infect Genet Evol 10:68-76. 2010..Seven microsatellite markers were used here to characterize Trypanosoma brucei gambiense isolates from Central Africa sub-region in order to improve knowledge on the population genetic ..
- Mechanism of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense (group 1) resistance to human trypanosome lytic factorRudo Kieft
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:16137-41. 2010..b>Trypanosoma brucei gambiense lacks the SRA gene, yet it infects humans. As transfection of T. b...
- Identification of trypanosomes in wild animals from southern Cameroon using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR)S Herder
LRCT IRD CIRAD, TA 207 G, Campus International de Baillarguet, F 34398 Montpellier, France
Parasite 9:345-9. 2002..monticola), in carnivores (Nandinia binotata and Genetta servalina) and in rodents (Cricetomys gambianus and Atherurus africanus). 13 species (54%) were carrying T. brucei s.l. identified as non-gambiense group 1...
- Development of drug resistance in Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense and Trypanosoma brucei gambiense. Treatment of human African trypanosomiasis with natural products (Review)Stefanie Gehrig
Institute of Pharmacy and Molecular Biotechnology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 364, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Mol Med 22:411-9. 2008..This study provides an overview of the recently discovered small molecules with trypanocidal activity against T. b. gambiense and T. b. rhodesiense. In addition, former promising compounds are touched upon...
- Effectiveness of melarsoprol and eflornithine as first-line regimens for gambiense sleeping sickness in nine Médecins Sans Frontières programmesManica Balasegaram
Médecins Sans Frontières United Kingdom, 67 74 Saffron Hill, London EC1N 8QX, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:280-90. 2009..the effectiveness of first-line regimens for stage 2 human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense infection in nine Médecins Sans Frontières HAT treatment programmes in Angola, Republic of Congo, ..
- Re-emergence of epidemic sleeping sickness in southern SudanA Moore
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Trop Med Int Health 6:342-7. 2001..Prevalence of confirmed Trypanosoma brucei gambiense infection in humans now exceeds 5% in several foci...
- Nifurtimox-eflornithine combination therapy for second-stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sickness: a randomized clinical trial in CongoGerardo Priotto
Epicentre, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 45:1435-42. 2007Human African trypanosomiasis caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense is a fatal disease. Current treatment options for patients with second-stage disease are either highly toxic or impracticable in field conditions...
- Blood-cerebrospinal fluid barrier and intrathecal immunoglobulins compared to field diagnosis of central nervous system involvement in sleeping sicknessS Bisser
Institut d Epidémiologie Neurologique et de Neurologie Tropicale EA3174, Faculte de Medecine, 2 rue du Docteur Raymond Marcland, 87025 Limoges Cedex, France
J Neurol Sci 193:127-35. 2002..Improved criteria including B-CSFB dysfunction and IgM detection are needed in order to provide an adapted treatment regimen...
- Estimates of the duration of the early and late stage of gambiense sleeping sicknessFrancesco Checchi
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E7HT, UK
BMC Infect Dis 8:16. 2008..and stage 2 (late stage, meningo-encephalitic) human African trypanosomiasis (sleeping sickness) due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense are poorly quantified, but key to predicting the impact of screening on transmission...
- Detection of trypanosomes in suspected sleeping sickness patients in Uganda using the polymerase chain reactionJ W Kyambadde
Department of Biochemistry, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Bull World Health Organ 78:119-24. 2000....
- Ever-increasing complexities of diamidine and arsenical crossresistance in African trypanosomesHarry P de Koning
Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Division of Infection and Immunity, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Trends Parasitol 24:345-9. 2008....
- Spatial and temporal patterns of human African trypanosomosis (HAT) transmission risk in the Bipindi focus, in the forest zone of southern CameroonP Grebaut
Laboratoire de Recherche et de Coordination contre les Trypanosomoses CIRAD IRD, Montpellier, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 4:230-8. 2004..Game animals, contributing to 46% and 64% of the blood meals during the short rainy season and the long dry season, respectively, are also favored as feeding hosts in this particular HAT focus...
- Survival of Trypanosoma brucei brucei in cerebrospinal fluidV W Pentreath
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Salford
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:29-34. 1992..The CSF from the late-stage patients did not support survival for longer than 10 hours, probably because it contained increased numbers of lymphocytes and antibodies...
- Preliminary evaluation of LATEX/T. b. gambiense and alternative versions of CATT/T. b. gambiense for the serodiagnosis of human african trypanosomiasis of a population at risk in Côte d'Ivoire: considerations for mass-screeningV Jamonneau
Laboratoire de Génétique des Parasites et Vecteurs, Institut Pierre Richet, OCCGE, 01 BP1500 Bouaké, Côte d Ivoire et Institut de Rechembe pour le Développement anciennement ORSTOM, Agropolis, Montpellier, France
Acta Trop 76:175-83. 2000..5% specific). However, when immune trypanolysis data and feasibility are taken into account, the classical CATT remains the test of choice for mass screening under the given field conditions...
- Diagnosis of human trypanosomiasis, due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in central Africa, by the polymerase chain reactionL Penchenier
OCEAC, BP 288, Yaounde, Cameroon
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 94:392-4. 2000..chain reaction (PCR) on whole blood for the diagnosis of human African trypanosomiasis due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense. The 1858 samples obtained were from 4 groups: 155 infected patients, 1432 serological suspects ..
- Evaluation of LATEX/T.b.gambiense for mass screening of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sickness in Central AfricaL Penchenier
OCEAC, POB 288, Yaounde, Cameroon
Acta Trop 85:31-7. 2003..Test for Trypanosomiasis (CATT), which consists of lyophilized bloodstream form trypomastigotes of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense (T.b.g.) variable antigen type LiTat 1.3, with LATEX/T.b.g...
- Phase II evaluation of sensitivity and specificity of PCR and NASBA followed by oligochromatography for diagnosis of human African trypanosomiasis in clinical samples from D.R. Congo and UgandaEnock Matovu
Department of Veterinary Parasitology and Microbiology, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e737. 2010..In this study we evaluate the sensitivity and specificity of the PCR-OC and NASBA-OC for diagnosis of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense human African trypanosomiasis (HAT).
- Parasitological detection of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in serologically negative sleeping-sickness suspects from north-western UgandaJ C Enyaru
Livestock Health Research Institute, Tororo, Uganda
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 92:845-50. 1998..All the DNA extracts isolated from these CATT-negative stocks and from six CATT-positive stocks of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense were targeted for amplification by the three variable-surface-glycoprotein genes thought to be ..
- Screening of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in domestic livestock and tsetse flies from an insular endemic focus (Luba, Equatorial Guinea)Carlos Cordon-Obras
National Centre of Tropical Medicine Institute of Health Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e704. 2010..In West and Central Africa, the disease is caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, which produces a chronic clinical manifestation...
- Latent Trypanosoma brucei gambiense foci in Uganda: a silent epidemic in children and adults?S L Wastling
Centre for Infectious Diseases, Division of Pathway Medicine, School of Biomedical Sciences, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, The University of Edinburgh, Summerhall, Edinburgh, EH9 1QH
Parasitology 138:1480-7. 2011b>Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sickness follows a long asymptomatic phase and persists in ancient foci from which epidemic clinical disease arises. A putative focus of T. b...
- In vivo evaluation of sixteen plant extracts on mice inoculated with Trypanosoma brucei gambienseB B Youan
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Bull World Health Organ 75:343-8. 1997..or decoction, either orally or intraperitoneally to Swiss mice that had previously been inoculated with Trypanosoma brucei gambiense (Tbg), strain MHOM/Cl/81/Dal 083...
- Monitoring the developmental status of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in the tsetse fly by means of PCR analysis of anal and saliva dropsS Ravel
Laboratoire de Recherche et de Coordination sur les Trypanosomoses, IRD CIRAD, Programme Santé Animale, TA 207 G, Campus International de Baillarguet, 34398 Cedex 5, Montpellier, France
Acta Trop 88:161-5. 2003..Glossina palpalis gambiensis (Diptera: Glossinidae) were infected with a culture of procyclic forms of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense using a single-bloodmeal membrane feeding technique...
- Trypanosomiasis relapse after melarsoprol therapy, Democratic Republic of Congo, 1982-2001Jacques Pepin
Centre for International Health and Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 11:921-7. 2005Recently, a high proportion of patients with late-stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasis, who had been treated with melarsoprol in some disease-endemic areas, subsequently relapsed...
- Improved latex agglutination test for detection of antibodies in serum and cerebrospinal fluid of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense infected patientsP Buscher
Department of Parasitology, University of Antwerp, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Belgium
Acta Trop 73:11-20. 1999..b. gambiense) for detection of antibodies in patients infected with Trypanosoma brucei gambiense is presented...
- Randomized controlled trial of three regimens of melarsoprol in the treatment of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasisJacques Pepin
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases and Centre for International Health, University of Sherbrooke, 3001, 12eme Avenue Nord, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1H 5N4, Canada
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:437-41. 2006A total of 389 patients with late-stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasis were enrolled in a randomized controlled trial comparing the efficacy and toxicity of three regimens of melarsoprol: regimen A, 3.6 mg/kg (max...
- Polysomnography as a diagnosis and post-treatment follow-up tool in human African trypanosomiasis: a case study in an infantGhislain Mpandzou
Service de Neurologie, CHU de Brazzaville, boulevard Maréchal Lyautey n 13, B P 32, Brazzaville, Congo
J Neurol Sci 305:112-5. 2011Gambian (Trypanosoma brucei gambiense) human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) evolves from the hemolymphatic stage 1, treated with pentamidine, to the meningoencephalitic stage 2, often treated with melarsoprol...
- Characterization of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense isolates using restriction fragment length polymorphisms in 5 variant surface glycoprotein genesG D Kanmogne
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, University of Bristol, Veterinary School, Langford, UK
Acta Trop 61:239-54. 1996Fifty-eight Type I Trypanosoma brucei gambiense (G) stocks, including 16 from 3 sleeping sickness foci in Cameroon, were compared by Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism (RFLP) analysis with 14 T.b. brucei and T.b...
- Experimental evaluation of xenodiagnosis to detect trypanosomes at low parasitaemia levels in infected hostsC M Wombou Toukam
Centre International de Recherche Développement sur l Elevage en zone Subhumide CIRDES, 01 BP 454 Bobo Dioulasso 01, Burkina Faso
Parasite 18:295-302. 2011..These results constitute a first step toward a possible implementation of xenodiagnosis to better characterize the parasitological status of seropositive individuals and the modalities of parasite transmission in HAT foci...
- Early prediction of treatment efficacy in second-stage gambiense human African trypanosomiasisGerardo Priotto
Epicentre, Paris, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1662. 2012..We analyzed individual patient data from 12 programs conducted by Médecins Sans Frontières in Uganda, Sudan, Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of Congo and Democratic Republic of Congo searching for early efficacy indicators...
- Drug transport and drug resistance in African trypanosomesPascal Maser
Institute of Cell Biology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Drug Resist Updat 6:281-90. 2003..brucei causes melarsoprol resistance. It will be important to determine the role of TbAT1 and TbMRPA in sleeping sickness treatment failures...
- African sleeping sickness in tourists returning from Tanzania: the first 2 Italian cases from a small outbreak among European travelersDiego Ripamonti
Infectious Diseases Unit, General Hospital of Bergamo, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 34:E18-22. 2002..Because neither vaccine nor drug prophylaxis is currently recommended and/or available for persons traveling to areas of endemicity, physicians should be alerted about this uncommon but potentially life-threatening disease...
- The challenge of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense sleeping sickness diagnosis outside AfricaV Lejon
Interdepartmental Research Group Neglected Diseases, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Lancet Infect Dis 3:804-8. 2003..Diagnosis of such imported cases can be problematic when the infection is due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, the chronic form of sleeping sickness found in west and central Africa...
- Isolation and propagation of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense from sleeping sickness patients in south SudanNaomi W N Maina
Trypanosomiasis Research Centre TRC of KARI, PO Box 362, Kikuyu, Kenya
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:540-6. 2007This study aimed at isolating Trypanosoma brucei gambiense from human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) patients from south Sudan...
- Human African trypanosomiasis: pharmacological re-engagement with a neglected diseaseM P Barrett
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, The Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Br J Pharmacol 152:1155-71. 2007..Finally we report on new initiatives that might allow progress to be made in developing new and satisfactory drugs for this terrible disease...
- Phospholipase A2 from Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and Trypanosoma brucei brucei: inhibition by organotinsM N Shuaibu
Protozoology Department, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, Japan
J Enzyme Inhib 16:433-41. 2001Activity and kinetics of phospholipase A2 (PLA2) from Trypanosoma brucei gambiense (Wellcome strain) and Trypanosoma brucei brucei (GUTat 3.1) were examined using two different fluorescent substrates...
- Measure of molecular diversity within the Trypanosoma brucei subspecies Trypanosoma brucei brucei and Trypanosoma brucei gambiense as revealed by genotypic characterizationE C Agbo
Division of Animal Sciences, Section for Animal Genomics, Institute for Animal Science and Health, ID Lelystad, The Netherlands
Exp Parasitol 99:123-31. 2001..Our data show that cryptic species within the T. brucei group can be distinguished by differences in the PCR-RFLP profile of the rDNA repeat...
- [Evaluation of Testryp CATT applied to blood samples on filter paper and on diluted blood in a focus of trypanosomiasis due to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in the Ivory Coast]T Miezan
Projet de REcherches Cliniques sur la Trypanosomiase PRCT,
Bull World Health Organ 69:603-6. 1991..The micromethod is suitable in the implementation of programmes for the serological surveillance of populations at risk...
- Cryopreservation of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in a commercial cryomedium developed for bull semenNaomi W N Maina
Trypanosomiasis Research Institute TRC, P O Box 362, Kikuyu, Kenya
Acta Trop 98:207-11. 2006..the commercial cryomedium Triladyl developed for bull semen was evaluated for the cryopreservation of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense. Cryopreservation efficacy was determined by direct counting of motile trypanosomes and by viability ..
- Trypanosoma brucei gambiense Type 1 populations from human patients are clonal and display geographical genetic differentiationLiam J Morrison
Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology, University of Glasgow, Biomedical Research Centre, 120 University Place, Glasgow G12 8TA, United Kingdom
Infect Genet Evol 8:847-54. 2008We have rigorously tested the hypothesis that Trypanosoma brucei gambiense Type 1 is composed of genetically homogenous populations by examining the parasite population present in Human African Trypanosomiasis (HAT) patients from the ..
- A comparative study of D-lactate, L-lactate and glycerol formation by four species of Leishmania and by Trypanosoma lewisi and Trypanosoma brucei gambienseT N Darling
Department of Physiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710
Mol Biochem Parasitol 30:253-7. 1988..The four Leishmania species produced D-lactate, but not L-lactate, whereas T. b. gambiense procyclic forms produced L-lactate, but not D-lactate, and T. lewisi produced both isomers...
- Towards developing a diagnostic regimen for the treatment follow-up of Trypanosoma brucei gambienseP A Mbati
University of the North, Parasitology Research Program, Phuthaditjaba, South Africa
Korean J Parasitol 37:289-92. 1999BALB/c mice infected with a high virulent strain of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense IL3707 were treated intraperitoneally (i.p.) with either Melarsoprol (Mel-B) or PSG(+) buffer as controls...
- [Use of molecular biology in the diagnosis of human African trypanosomiasis]V Jamonneau
, , Institut Pierre Richet, ,
Med Trop (Mars) 61:347-54. 2001..In West and Central Africa, this vector-borne parasitic disease in caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense transmitted by glossidinae. According to the classic model, HAT is characterized by two phases, i.e...
- Susceptibility of Grammomys surdaster thicket rats to Trypanosoma brucei gambiense infectionPhilippe Büscher
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerpen, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 10:850-5. 2005Human African Trypanosomiasis is caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and T. b. rhodesiense...
- Differential effects of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and Trypanosoma brucei brucei on rat macrophagesKazuhiko Nishimura
Laboratory of Bioenvironmental Sciences, Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University, Izumisano, Osaka, Japan
J Parasitol 97:48-54. 2011..However, the effect of cobalt chloride on spleen macrophages and HS-P cells cocultured with WS was restricted. These results suggest that anemia-induced hypoxia in ILS-infected rats stimulates the immune system and activates macrophages...
- Neuro-inflammatory risk factors for treatment failure in "early second stage" sleeping sickness patients treated with pentamidineVeerle Lejon
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
J Neuroimmunol 144:132-8. 2003In a clinical trial on efficacy of Pentamidine in second stage Trypanosoma brucei gambiense patients with </=20 cells/microl in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), 43% of treatment failures were observed...
- Trypanosoma brucei gambiense African trypanosomiasis: differences between men and women in severity of disease and response to treatmentJacques Pepin
Centre for International Health, University of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:421-6. 2002To compare the characteristics of women and men with Trypanosoma brucei gambiense trypanosomiasis, all 3231 cases treated in Nioki hospital, Democratic Republic of Congo, from 1982 to 2000 were reviewed for demographic information, date ..
- Loop-mediated isothermal amplification for detection of African trypanosomesNoritaka Kuboki
National Research Center for Protozoan Diseases, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Obihiro, Hokkaido 080 8555, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 41:5517-24. 2003..In vivo studies in mice infected with human-infective T. brucei gambiense further highlight the potential clinical importance of LAMP as a diagnostic tool for the identification of African trypanosomiasis...
- Efficacy of new, concise schedule for melarsoprol in treatment of sleeping sickness caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense: a randomised trialC Burri
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel
Lancet 355:1419-25. 2000..Despite these problems, melarsoprol is likely to remain the drug of choice for the next decade. We therefore did a randomised trial comparing the standard treatment schedule with a new, concise regimen...
- Isolation and analysis of the genetic diversity of repertoires of VSG expression site containing telomeres from Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, T. b. brucei and T. equiperdumRosanna Young
Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3SY, UK
BMC Genomics 9:385. 2008..We have previously developed a method to selectively isolate sets of trypanosome BES containing telomeres using Transformation associated recombination (TAR) cloning in yeast...
- A semi-quantitative ELISA for detection of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense specific antibodies in serum and cerebrospinal fluid of sleeping sickness patientsV Lejon
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Department of Parasitology, Antwerpen, Belgium
Acta Trop 69:151-64. 1998..Measurement of immunoglobulin and trypanosome specific antibody concentrations in serum and CSF allows calculation of intrathecal antibody synthesis and is a possible tool for determining the clinical stage of sleeping sickness...
- Trypanosoma brucei gambiense in domestic livestock of Kogo and Mbini foci (Equatorial Guinea)C Cordon-Obras
National Centre of Tropical Medicine, Institute of Health Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Trop Med Int Health 14:535-41. 2009To evaluate Trypanosoma brucei gambiense infection in peri-domestic livestock from Kogo and Mbini foci (Equatorial Guinea) in order to investigate its possible implication in the sleeping sickness transmission cycle in these hypoendemic ..
- Production of metacyclic forms by cyclical transmission of west African Trypanosoma (T.) brucei isolates from man and animalsD Richner
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel
Acta Trop 45:309-19. 1988..centralis infected on mice, whereas successful transmission of the 10 isolates, identified as Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, was performed using G. palpalis gambiensis as vector. Glossina p...
- Stage determination and follow-up in sleeping sicknessV Lejon
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Department of Parasitology, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerpen, Belgium
Med Trop (Mars) 61:355-60. 2001..Alternative markers for stage determination and follow-up include trypanosome specific antibodies, anti-galactocerebroside antibodies and IgM measurement in CSF...
- Genetic characterization of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and clinical evolution of human African trypanosomiasis in Côte d'IvoireV Jamonneau
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement UR 035, Centre Pierre Richet, Bouake, Cote d Ivoire
Trop Med Int Health 7:610-21. 2002..0002) and on the ethnic group (P=0.0317) of the patient. Further investigations are required in order to study a possible selective impact of the use of the kit for in vitro isolation of trypanosomes as an isolation technique...
- Genetic analysis of the human infective trypanosome Trypanosoma brucei gambiense: chromosomal segregation, crossing over, and the construction of a genetic mapAnneli Cooper
Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University Place, Glasgow G12 8TA, UK
Genome Biol 9:R103. 2008..and animal trypanosomiasis in sub-Saharan Africa, and it has been subdivided into three subspecies: Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense, which cause sleeping sickness in humans, and the nonhuman infective ..
- Blood-brain barrier traversal by African trypanosomes requires calcium signaling induced by parasite cysteine proteaseOlga V Nikolskaia
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Clin Invest 116:2739-47. 2006In this study we investigated why bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense cross human brain microvascular endothelial cells (BMECs), a human blood-brain barrier (BBB) model system, at much greater efficiency than do T. b. brucei...
- Clinical problem-solving. Out of AfricaDemetrios J Sahlas
Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Hospital, Toronto, Canada
N Engl J Med 347:749-53. 2002
- Population genetics of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, the agent of sleeping sickness in Western AfricaMathurin Koffi
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Unité Mixte de Recherche IRD CIRAD 177, Campus International de Baillarguet, 34398 Montpellier, Cedex 5, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:209-14. 2009Human African trypanosomiasis, or sleeping sickness caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, occurs in Western and Central Africa. T. brucei s.l...
- Mechanisms of Resistance and Susceptibility to African Trypanosome InfectionStephen L Hajduk; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Trypanosoma brucei gambiense also infects humans but lacks SRA and, as shown in this proposal, resists TLF killing by down ..
- Using protein-DNA chimeras for HAT diagnosisDENNIS JOHN GRAB; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and T. b. rhodesiense are pathogens responsible for human African trypanosomiasis (HAT). Death from HAT is inevitable if untreated...
- Diagnosis of gambiense HATDENNIS JOHN GRAB; Fiscal Year: 2012b>Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and T. b. rhodesiense are pathogens responsible for human African trypanosomiasis (HAT or sleeping sickness). Death from HAT is inevitable if untreated...
- Origin of Virulence Factors in African TrypanosomesANDREW MCARTHUR; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (provided by the applicant): Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense are protozoan parasites that cause African sleeping sickness in humans while Trypanosoma brucei brucei causes a wasting disease in ..
- AROMATIC AMINO ACID CATABOLISM DURING TRYPANOSOMIASISJohn Seed; Fiscal Year: 1980A marked disturbance in aromatic amino acid metabolism occurs in acute and chronic Trypanosoma brucei gambiense infections of laboratory rodents...
- Blood-brain barrier traversal by African trypanosomesDENNIS GRAB; Fiscal Year: 2006..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) The neurological complications of sleeping sickness in man caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and T.b. rhodesiense are attributed to the penetration of the central nervous system by trypanosomes...
- Adaptive evolution of pathogenesis towards symbiosisSerap Aksoy; Fiscal Year: 2009..The role of functions typically associated with pathogenic microorganisms will be pursued in these beneficial microbes. ..
- INTERACTION OF TSETSE--ITS SYMBIONTS AND TRYPANOSOMESSerap Aksoy; Fiscal Year: 2001..The basic knowledge obtained will strengthen our understanding of tsetse biology and will also provide information relevant to other important disease vectors which harbor similar symbionts (e.g., ticks, fleas, reduviid bugs etc.). ..
- Trypanosome gene expression in tsetseSerap Aksoy; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Anaplasma - B. burgorferi/endothelijm interactionsDENNIS GRAB; Fiscal Year: 2006..burgdorferi. The elucidation of the steps that explain the enhancement may allow for more intensive basic and clinical investigation into mechanisms of virulence for Lyme disease, HGE, and coinfections. ..
- Simple, Selective Antimitotic Antiparasitic AgentsKarl Werbovetz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Blood-brain barrier traversal by African trypanosomesDENNIS GRAB; Fiscal Year: 2005..provided by the applicant): The neurological symptoms of sleeping sickness in man caused by Trypanosoma brucei gambiense and T b. rhodesiense are attributed to the penetration of the central nervous system by trypanosomes...