Summary: An order of protozoa comprising heteroxenous tick-borne blood parasites. Representative genera include BABESIA, Dactylosoma, and THEILERIA.
- Cytauxzoon felis infection in cats in the mid-Atlantic states: 34 cases (1998-2004)Adam J Birkenheuer
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 228:568-71. 2006....
- Phylogeny and evolution of the Piroplasmida as inferred from 18S rRNA sequencesJustin B Lack
Department of Zoology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Int J Parasitol 42:353-63. 2012The order Piroplasmida consists of several genera of tick-borne parasites that infect mammals, and to a lesser extent birds, and are therefore of medical and economic importance...
- An in situ hybridization and immunohistochemical study of cytauxzoonosis in domestic catsL Susta
Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 7388, USA
Vet Pathol 46:1197-204. 2009....
- Development and evaluation of a PCR assay for the detection of Cytauxzoon felis DNA in feline blood samplesAdam J Birkenheuer
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Vet Parasitol 137:144-9. 2006..felis 18S rRNA gene. This PCR assay can be used for the rapid clinical diagnosis of cytauxzoonosis and for epidemiological studies that will better define the geographic distribution of C. felis infection in cats...
- An intraerythrocytic small piroplasm in wild-caught Pallas's cats (Otocolobus manul) from MongoliaCornelia J Ketz-Riley
Oklahoma City Zoological Park, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73111, USA
J Wildl Dis 39:424-30. 2003..This is the first report of naturally occurring erythroparasitemia in Pallas's cats and the first documented case of naturally occurring piroplasm infections in a free-ranging felid from Mongolia...
- Feline cytauxzoonosis: a case report and literature reviewH T Meier
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66506 5606, USA
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 36:493-6. 2000..With continued hospitalization, the cat became dyspneic and died. The postmortem cytopathological examination of the liver, spleen, and lung impressions revealed reticuloendothelial cell infection with Cytauxzoon felis...
- Efficacy of atovaquone and azithromycin or imidocarb dipropionate in cats with acute cytauxzoonosisL A Cohn
Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
J Vet Intern Med 25:55-60. 2011..Imidocarb or a combination of atovaquone and azithromycin (A&A) has been suggested for treatment of cats with cytauxzoonosis, but neither has been prospectively evaluated for efficacy...
- The detection of Cytauxzoon felis in apparently healthy free-roaming cats in the USAMarion D Haber
Department of Clinical Sciences, North Carolina State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27606, United States
Vet Parasitol 146:316-20. 2007..felis. Further investigations should evaluate the potential vector competence of domestic cats as well as the role of chronically infected cats in areas in which cytauxzoonosis appears hyperendemic...
- A molecular survey of Piroplasmida and Hepatozoon isolated from domestic and wild animals in Burgos (northern Spain)Consuelo Gimenez
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Alcala, Crta Madrid Barcelona, Km 33, 600, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Spain
Vet Parasitol 162:147-50. 2009This study reports a molecular survey of Hepatozoon species and of the order Piroplasmida in the Province of Burgos, northern Spain. The diagnostic techniques employed included PCR and the sequencing of the 18S rRNA gene...
- EuPathDB: the eukaryotic pathogen databaseCristina Aurrecoechea
Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 41:D684-91. 2013..resources include the design and implementation of a new data loading workflow, a new database supporting Piroplasmida (i.e...
- Piroplasms of New Zealand seabirdsAndrea Paparini
Vector and Waterborne Pathogen Research Group, School of Veterinary and Life Sciences, Murdoch University, 90 South Street, Murdoch, WA, 6150, Australia
Parasitol Res 113:4407-14. 2014..was subjected to PCR for the presence of tick-transmitted protozoan haemoparasites belonging to the order Piroplasmida. Parasites were identified by comparing small subunit ribosomal RNA (18S rDNA) gene sequences to related ..
- Efficacy of an imidacloprid 10 % / flumethrin 4.5 % collar (Seresto®, Bayer) for preventing the transmission of Cytauxzoon felis to domestic cats by Amblyomma americanumMason V Reichard
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Science, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Parasitol Res 112:11-20. 2013..Our results indicate that application of the 10 % imidacloprid/4.5 % flumethrin collar to cats prevented ticks from attaching, feeding and transmitting C. felis...
- Prevalence of theileriosis in Red Hartebeest (Alcelaphus buselaphus caama) in NamibiaEva Spitalska
School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, University of Newcastle, King George VI Building, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, United Kingdom
Parasitol Res 97:77-9. 2005..For a Piroplasmida species, Theileria sp 95.7% of blood and 50.0% of tick samples (all R. e. mimeticus, none of R. e...
- Adenosine levels in serum and adenosine deaminase activity in blood cells of dogs infected by Rangelia vitaliiAleksandro S Da Silva
Department of Animal Science, Universidade do Estado de Santa Catarina, Brazil
J Parasitol 99:1125-8. 2013..vitalii as well as the serum concentration of adenosine. These alterations may contribute to the pathogenesis of anemia and immune response in infected dogs...
- Increasing frequency of feline cytauxzoonosis cases diagnosed in western Kentucky from 2001 to 2011Jean Miller
Breathitt Veterinary Center, Murray State University, Hopkinsville, KY 42241, United States
Vet Parasitol 198:205-8. 2013..The infection was diagnosed from March through October and showed a single peak in May, corresponding well with the questing period for the lone star tick, Amblyomma americanum, a known vector of C. felis. ..
- Prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi (Spirochaetales: Spirochaetaceae), Anaplasma phagocytophilum (Rickettsiales: Anaplasmataceae), and Babesia microti (Piroplasmida: Babesiidae) in Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae) collected from recreational lands in thM A Prusinski
New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Communicable Disease Control, Vector Ecology Laboratory, Wadsworth Center Biggs Laboratory C 456, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237, USA
J Med Entomol 51:226-36. 2014..microti. Thirty-three individual adult ticks from seven study sites in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, and Rockland counties tested positive for simultaneous infection with all three agents by multiplex polymerase chain reaction assay...
- Natural infection of the wild canid, Cerdocyon thous, with the piroplasmid Rangelia vitalii in BrazilJoao F Soares
Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Prof Orlando Marques de Paiva 87, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 202:156-63. 2014..vitalii, suggesting that it might have a natural cycle involving the wild canid C. thous. Further studies are needed to confirm that C. thous is a natural reservoir of R. vitalii in Brazil...
- Molecular assessment of hepatozoon (Apicomplexa: adeleorina) infections in wild canids and rodents from north Africa, with implications for transmission dynamics across taxonomic groupsJoão P Maia
1 CIBIO InBIO, Centro de Investigação em Biodiversidade e Recursos Genéticos da Universidade do Porto, Campus Agrário de Vairão, 4485 661 Vairão, Portugal
J Wildl Dis 50:837-48. 2014..We also detected putative Babesia spp. (Apicomplexa: Piroplasmida) infections in two canid species from this region, V. pallida (1/28) and V. zerda (1/11).
- Foci report on indigenous Dermacentor reticulatus populations in Belgium and a preliminary study of associated babesiosis pathogensC Cochez
Research Laboratory for Vector Borne Diseases, Queen Astrid Military Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Med Vet Entomol 26:355-8. 2012..A Babesia spp. (Piroplasmida: Babesiidae) genus-specific polymerase chain reaction test based on the amplification of a fragment of the 18S ..
- Cytauxzoon sp. infection in the first endemic focus described in domestic cats in EuropeE Carli
Veterinary Laboratory San Marco, Via Sorio 114 c, 35141 Padua, Italy
Vet Parasitol 183:343-52. 2012..infection in domestic cats living in Italy. The predominance of subclinical erythroparasitemia and the evidence of persistent infection support the hypothesis that the domestic cat might serve as a reservoir host for this infection...
- Distribution and prevalence of Cytauxzoon felis in bobcats (Lynx rufus), the natural reservoir, and other wild felids in thirteen statesBarbara C Shock
Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study, 586 D W Brooks Dr, Wildlife Health Building, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Vet Parasitol 175:325-30. 2011..americanum activity. Collectively, these data confirm that bobcats are a common reservoir for C. felis and that A. americanum is likely an epidemiologically important vector...
- RPS8--a new informative DNA marker for phylogeny of Babesia and Theileria parasites in ChinaZhan Cheng Tian
State Key Laboratory of Veterinary Etiological Biology, Key Laboratory of Veterinary Parasitology of Gansu Province, Lanzhou Veterinary Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Lanzhou, China
PLoS ONE 8:e79860. 2013Piroplasmosis is a serious debilitating and sometimes fatal disease. Phylogenetic relationships within piroplasmida are complex and remain unclear...
- Babesiosis in cats: ABCD guidelines on prevention and managementKatrin Hartmann
European Advisory Board on Cat Diseases
J Feline Med Surg 15:643-6. 2013Babesiosis is a tick-borne protozoan disease caused by parasites of the genus Babesia that belong to the Piroplasmida. The disease is named after the Romanian bacteriologist Victor Babeş...
- What is Babesia microti?H K Goethert
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, 665 Huntington Avenue, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Parasitology 127:301-9. 2003Babesia microti (Apicomplexa: Piroplasmida) has historically been considered a common parasite of Holarctic rodents...
- Lack of evidence for perinatal transmission of Cytauxzoon felis in domestic catsKristin M Lewis
University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Vet Parasitol 188:172-4. 2012..felis by microscopic slide review and PCR until they were adopted to private homes at approximately 12 weeks of age. While this does not rule out the possibility of perinatal transmission, it is unlikely to be a common phenomenon...
- Geneious plugins for the access of PlasmoDB and PiroplasmaDB databasesCharles Ma
Department of Microbiology, Monash University, Clayton VIC 3800, Australia
Parasitol Int 62:134-6. 2013..The plugins are freely available from the Victorian Bioinformatics Consortium website. The plugins can be modified to access any of the databases of EuPathDB...
- Prevalence of Babesia microti-like infection in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) from PortugalL Cardoso
Department of Veterinary Sciences, School of Agrarian and Veterinary Sciences, University of Tras os Montes e Alto Douro, Vila Real, Portugal
Vet Parasitol 196:90-5. 2013The prevalence of piroplasm (order Piroplasmida) infection was assessed in blood and bone marrow samples from 91 red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) from northern, central and southern Portugal by means of molecular methods...
- Enzootic Babesia microti in MaineH K Goethert
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Parasitol 89:1069-71. 2003Human babesiosis in the northeastern United States caused by Babesia microti (Apicomplexa: Piroplasmida) is mainly reported from coastal New England sites, where deer ticks (Ixodes dammini) are common...
- Increased cytokine and nitric oxide levels in serum of dogs experimentally infected with Rangelia vitaliiFrancine C Paim
Laboratory of Veterinary Clinical Analysis LACVet, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, 97105 900 Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Korean J Parasitol 51:133-7. 2013..05) in infected animals. Therefore, the infection with R. vitalii causes an increase in proinflammatory cytokines and nitric oxide content. These alterations may be associated with host immune protection against the parasite...
- Molecular detection of hemoprotozoa and Rickettsia species in arthropods collected from wild animals in the Burgos Province, SpainLourdes Lledó
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, University of Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Spain
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 10:735-8. 2010..No hemoprotozoa with proven significance as human pathogens were found in the survey. However, finding T. annae in ticks recovered from wild canids suggests possible links of sylvatic and domestic cycles for some Piroplasmida.
- Development of a tandem repeat-based multilocus typing system distinguishing Babesia bovis geographic isolatesAgustina Perez-Llaneza
Institute of Pathobiology, CICVyA, INTA Castelar, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 167:196-204. 2010..In comparison to Theileria parva, a bovine hemoprotozoan that pertains to the same piroplasmida order and own a genome of similar size, the number of polymorphic TRs and the average number of alleles per TR ..
- A genome-sequence survey for Ascogregarina taiwanensis supports evolutionary affiliation but metabolic diversity between a Gregarine and CryptosporidiumThomas J Templeton
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Weill Cornell Medical College, USA
Mol Biol Evol 27:235-48. 2010..and Cryptosporidium share numerous molecular similarities, not only including coccidian-like features to the exclusion of Haemosporidia and Piroplasmida but also differ from each other significantly in their metabolic capacity.
- Babesia spp. infections transmitted through blood transfusionEdward Sinski
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Biology, University of Warsaw, 1 Miecznikowa Street, 02 096 Warsaw
Wiad Parazytol 57:77-81. 2011Babesiosis in humans is caused by infection with various species of Babesia (Apicomplexa, Piroplasmida), mainly transmitted by an arthropod vector--Ixodes spp. ticks...
- Genetic variability of archived Cytauxzoon felis histologic specimens from domestic cats in Georgia, 1995-2007Holly M Brown
Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 21:493-8. 2009..The findings of the current study document the existence of genetically distinct C. felis populations in historical samples and, together with data from contemporary samples, demonstrate a diverse population structure for C. felis...
- Pulmonary histopathology of Cytauxzoon felis infections in the catT A Snider
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Vet Pathol 47:698-702. 2010..These characterized lesions are likely correlative with the respiratory distress seen in affected cats...
- Identification and genetic characterization of Cytauxzoon felis in asymptomatic domestic cats and bobcatsHolly M Brown
Department of Pathology, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Vet Parasitol 172:311-6. 2010..However, the presence of asymptomatic C. felis infections in clinical healthy domestic cats warrants further investigation to determine if these cats can serve as a new reservoir for C. felis transmission...
- [From piroplasmosis to babesiosis--problems with classification of Babesia protozoa isolated from dogs]Łukasz Adaszek
Katedra Epizootiologii i Klinika Chorób Zakaźnych, Wydział Medycyny Weterynaryjnej UP, ul Głeboka 30, 20 612 Lublin
Wiad Parazytol 56:111-5. 2010Babesia and Theileria are the tick-borne parasites belonging to the order Piroplasmida. Both of them cause a severe disease with symptoms of hemolytic anemia. The main etiological factors of canine piroplasmosis are protozoa Babesia...
- Biodynamic parameters of micellar diminazene in sheep erythrocytes and blood plasmaSergey A Staroverov
Saratov State Agrarian University, Saratov 410012, Russia
J Vet Sci 12:303-7. 2011..agents of blood protozoan diseases produced by both flagellated protozoa (Trypanosoma) and members of the class Piroplasmida (Babesia, Theileria, and Cytauxzoon) in various domestic and wild animals, and it is widely used in veterinary ..
- Confirmation of Amblyomma americanum (Acari: Ixodidae) as a vector for Cytauxzoon felis (Piroplasmorida: Theileriidae) to domestic catsMason V Reichard
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, 250 McElroy Hall, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
J Med Entomol 47:890-6. 2010..5% (one of 178) in males, 0.8% (three of 393) in nymphs, and 1.5% (three of 197) in females. We found no wild-collected D. variabilis infected with C. felis. Our results confirm that A. americanum is a primary vector of C. felis...
- Detection of enzootic babesiosis in baboons (Papio cynocephalus) and phylogenetic evidence supporting synonymy of the genera Entopolypoides and BabesiaM A Bronsdon
Regional Primate Research Center, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Clin Microbiol 37:1548-53. 1999..The similarity of this parasite to the known human pathogen B. microti may also pose risks to humans undergoing xenotransplantation, mandating effective screening of donor animals...
- Prevalence of Lyme disease agents and several emerging pathogens in questing ticks from the German Baltic coastJan Franke
Institute of Nutrition, Department of Food and Environmental Hygiene, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Dornburger Str 29, D 07743 Jena, Germany
J Med Entomol 48:441-4. 2011..b>Piroplasmida: Babesiidae), respectively...
- Detection of Babesia divergens in southern Norway by using an immunofluorescence antibody test in cow seraGunnar Hasle
Department of Biology, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo, Norway
Acta Vet Scand 52:55. 2010The incidence of bovine babesiosis, caused by Babesia divergens (Apicomplexa: Piroplasmida) has decreased markedly since the 1930 s, but may re-emerge as a consequence of climate change and changes in legislation and pasturing practices...
- Piroplasmids and ticks: a long-lasting intimate relationshipMonica Florin-Christensen
Institute of Pathobiology, CICVyA, INTA Castelar, Los Reseros y Las Cabanas, 1712 Castelar, Argentina
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 14:3064-73. 2009..This paper reviews the molecular interactions between ticks and piroplasmids from different perspectives. A deeper understanding of this interface might lead to the design of new control strategies...
- A redescription of schizogony of Cytauxzoon felis in the domestic catA A Kocan
Department of Veterinary Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078
Ann N Y Acad Sci 653:161-7. 1992..The sequence of events associated with merozoite formation in Cytauxzoon felis described herein differs from the previous description for this species and appears to be analogous to that described for the genus Theileria...
- Distribution and phenology of ixodid ticks in southern ZambiaN Speybroeck
Institute for Tropical Medicine, Department of Animal Health, Antwerpen, Belgium
Med Vet Entomol 16:430-41. 2002..The epidemiological consequences are that a different approach to control Theileria parva (Theiler) (Piroplasmida: Theileriidae) and other tick-borne diseases is needed in southern Zambia, compared to the one adopted in ..
- Fatal cytauxzoonosis in a free-ranging bobcat (Lynx rufus)Jerome C Nietfeld
Department of Diagnostic Medicine Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mosier Hall, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506 5705, USA
J Wildl Dis 38:607-10. 2002..This case of fatal C. felis infection indicates that some free-ranging bobcats may die of cytauxzoonosis...
- Cats surviving natural infection with Cytauxzoon felis: 18 cases (1997-1998)J Meinkoth
Department of Anatomy, Pathology and Pharmacology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078 2007, USA
J Vet Intern Med 14:521-5. 2000..The findings of this study may indicate the existence of a less virulent strain of C felis...
- Genotypic status of Babesia microti within the piroplasmsM Zahler
Institut für Vergleichende Tropenmedizin und Parasitologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen, Germany
Parasitol Res 86:642-6. 2000..rodhaini, and a recently described small canine piroplasm species. These results support the existence of a third taxonomic entity of equal rank besides the Babesiidae and Theileriidae...
- Hematologic effects of cytauxzoonosis in Florida panthers and Texas cougars in FloridaD S Rotstein
Department of Comparative Pathology, University of Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Wildl Dis 35:613-7. 1999..Cytauxzoonosis does not appear to have a negative effect on the hematologic parameters of chronically infected panthers and cougars. Potential transient changes during initial infection were not evaluated...
- Administration of diminazene aceturate or imidocarb dipropionate for treatment of cytauxzoonosis in catsC E Greene
Department of Small Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens 30602, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 215:497-500, 482. 1999..Atropine was effective in recovery and preventing adverse reactions associated with imidocarb treatment of 1 cat...
- An organelle-like small subunit ribosomal RNA gene from Babesia bovis: nucleotide sequence, secondary structure of the transcript and preliminary phylogenetic analysisM M Gozar
School of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Int J Parasitol 25:929-38. 1995..The origin of this organelle-like gene in B. bovis therefore remains unresolved, as is the case for its homologue from P. falciparum...
- Blood parasites of amphibians from Sichuan Province, People's Republic of ChinaJ K Werner
Department of Biology, Northern Michigan University, Marquette 49855
J Parasitol 79:356-63. 1993..Frog erythrocytic virus (FEV) was found in 2 ranids and a bufonid. Differences in shape of FEV and its assumed effect on the host-cell nucleus suggest that different kinds of viruses may be involved...
- Phylogeny and evolution of the piroplasmsM T Allsopp
Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, South Africa
Parasitology 108:147-52. 1994..The parsimony and maximum likelihood trees suggest that the babesias and theilerias are sister taxa, both of which were derived from the paraphyletic group...
- Codon usage and bias among individual genes of the coccidia and piroplasmsJ T Ellis
Department of Microbiology, University of Technology Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Parasitology 109:265-72. 1994..In keeping with observations on prokaryotic organisms, it is speculated that the codon usage patterns detected in these parasitic protozoa are the result of directional mutation pressure on the base composition of the genomic DNA...
- Cytauxzoonosis in cats: eight cases (1985-1992)J P Hoover
Department of Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078
J Am Vet Med Assoc 205:455-60. 1994..Histologic examination revealed venous occlusion by parasitized mononuclear phagocytes in all tissue specimens, but only minimal inflammatory infiltrates...
- Survival of a domestic cat with naturally acquired cytauxzoonosisD B Walker
Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 206:1363-5. 1995..5 years after the initial diagnosis. Whether C felis infection persists in this cat has yet to be determined. This case indicates that some domestic cats can recover from naturally acquired cytauxzoonosis...
- Phylogeny of adeleid blood parasites with a partial systematic revision of the haemogregarine complexM E Siddall
Department of Zoology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Eukaryot Microbiol 42:116-25. 1995..g...
- A new species of Cytauxzoon from Pallas' cats caught in Mongolia and comments on the systematics and taxonomy of piroplasmidsMason V Reichard
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma, 74048, USA
J Parasitol 91:420-6. 2005..As currently arranged, Babesia and Theileria are paraphyletic taxa and are in need of reorganization...
- Polymerase chain reaction detection of Cytauxzoon felis from field-collected ticks and sequence analysis of the small subunit and internal transcribed spacer 1 region of the ribosomal RNA geneP J Bondy
Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medcine, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
J Parasitol 91:458-61. 2005..This is the first known report of ITS-1 gene identification and sequencing for C. felis. It is also the first published investigation of genetic variation in C. felis...
- Molecular characterization of haemoparasites infecting bats (Microchiroptera) in Cornwall, UKR Concannon
Department of Veterinary Pathology, University of Liverpool, Leahurst, Chester High Road, Neston, Cheshire CH64 7TE, UK
Parasitology 131:489-96. 2005The presence of haemoparasites from the Order Piroplasmida and the genera Bartonella and Trypanosoma was assessed in the blood of 60 bats, belonging to 7 species, inhabiting sites across Cornwall in southwest England...
- Hemoprotozoa of domestic animals in France: prevalence and molecular characterizationA Criado-Fornelio
Parasitology Laboratory, Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alcala, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Spain
Vet Parasitol 159:73-6. 2009..In an attempt to address this issue, prevalence of piroplasmida was studied in carnivores and ruminants, whereas prevalence of Hepatozoon spp...
- Molecular characterization of Babesia kiwiensis from the brown kiwi (Apteryx mantelli)R Jefferies
School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, 6150 Western Australia, Australia
J Parasitol 94:557-60. 2008..of piroplasm DNA using a nested-polymerase chain reaction (PCR) targeting the 18S rRNA gene of most members of Piroplasmida. All captive birds gave a negative PCR result, while 12 wild-caught birds were PCR positive...
- Enzootic simian piroplasm (Entopolypoides macaci ) in wild-caught Kenyan non-human primatesM M Jeneby
Institute of Primate Research IPR, Karen, Nairobi, Kenya
J Med Primatol 37:329-36. 2008....
- Redescription of Cardiosporidium cionae (Van Gaver and Stephan, 1907) (Apicomplexa: Piroplasmida), a plasmodial parasite of ascidian haemocytesA Ciancio
CNR, Istituto per la Protezione delle Piante, Via Amendola 122 D, I 70126 Bari, Italy
Eur J Protistol 44:181-96. 2008..Ultrastructural and DNA data showed that the organism, described in 1907 from the same host but not illustrated in detail, is a member of a novel marine apicomplexan radiation of tunicate parasites...
- Temporal occurrence and environmental risk factors associated with cytauxzoonosis in domestic catsMason V Reichard
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Science, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, United States
Vet Parasitol 152:314-20. 2008....
- Laboratory findings in acute Cytauxzoon felis infection in cougars (Puma concolor couguar) in FloridaJohn W Harvey
Department of Physiological Sciences, Box 100144, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 38:285-91. 2007..felis, but not with the Babesia sp. In this report, we demonstrate that mild hemolytic anemia, and probably liver injury, occurs concomitant with the initial discovery of C. felis piroplasms in stained blood films...
- Blood smear from a pregnant cat that died shortly after partial abortionJaime Lee Weisman
University of Georgia, College of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Diagnostic and Investigational Laboratory, Tifton, GA, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 36:209-11. 2007..Although the cat was presented for complications of abortion, it remains uncertain whether C felis organisms crossed the placenta and infected the fetuses or lead to the abortions...
- Experimental infection of domestic cats (Felis domesticus) with Cytauxzoon manul from Pallas' cats (Otocolobus manul)P H Joyner
Oklahoma State University, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Vet Parasitol 146:302-6. 2007..manul induced a parasitemia, it did not cause disease or provide protection against challenge with C. felis. Further studies are warranted to determine the potential for interspecies transmission and disease with C. manul...
- Prevalence of infection and 18S rRNA gene sequences of Cytauxzoon species in Iberian lynx (Lynx pardinus) in SpainJ Millan
Department of Conservation Biology, Estacion Biologica de Donana CSIC, Pabellón del Perú, Avda Maria Luisa s n, 41013 Sevilla, Spain
Parasitology 134:995-1001. 2007....
- Polyphasic taxonomyGerrit Uilenberg
A Surgente, Route du Port, 20130 Cargèse Corse, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1081:492-7. 2006..In this short article, we provide a number of examples where polyphasic taxonomy is serving as the means of arriving at the desired consensus...
- New data on epizootiology and genetics of piroplasms based on sequences of small ribosomal subunit and cytochrome b genesA Criado
Microbiology and Parasitology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alcala, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Spain
Vet Parasitol 142:238-47. 2006..On the other hand, the existence of mtDNA-like pseudogenes of possible nuclear location in piroplasms is interesting due to their possible impact on molecular phylogeny studies...
- Molecular detection and characterization of Cytauxzoon felis and a Babesia species in cougars from FloridaMichael J Yabsley
Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study, Department of Population Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Wildl Dis 42:366-74. 2006..and that some individuals are infected with both organisms. The infectivity and pathogenicity of this Babesia sp. for domestic cats is unknown. This represents the first report of a feline Babesia sp. in North America...
- Babesia microti: prevalence in wild rodents and Ixodes ricinus ticks from the Mazury Lakes District of North-Eastern PolandEdward Sinski
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Zoology, Warsaw University, Miecznikowa 1 Street, PL 02096 Warsaw, Poland
Int J Med Microbiol 296:137-43. 2006Infections of Babesia microti (Apicomplexa, Piroplasmida), a common erythroparasitic protozoon of Holarctic rodents, are not widely acknowledged in Poland...
- Babesia microti (Piroplasmida: Babesiidae) in nymphal Ixodes ricinus (Acari: Ixodidae) in the Czech RepublicIvo Rudolf
Institute of Vertebrate Biology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Brno, Czech Republic
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 52:274-6. 2005..5%. Sequence analysis of the PCR products confirmed their 100% homology with that of B. microti. The study represents the first evidence of B. microti in ixodid ticks in the Czech Republic...
- [Babesia choloepi n. sp. (Apicomplexa, Piroplasmida), a parasite of the two-toed sloth, Choloepus didactylus (Linnaeus, 1758) (Xenarthra, Bradypodidae), in French Guiana]J P Dedet
Institut Pasteur de la Guyane Francaise, Cayenne
Ann Parasitol Hum Comp 63:16-21. 1988..A two-toed sloth (Choloepus didactylus) from French Guiana showed an erythrocytic parasite morphologically related to the Babesiidae family, and described as Babesia choloepi. It is the first Babesia species described in the Edentata order...