Genomes and Genes
Summary: Organic compounds that contain 1,2-diphenylethylene as a functional group.
- Lee M, Liu M, Cheng A, Tsai M, Ho C, Liou W, et al. Pterostilbene inhibits dimethylnitrosamine-induced liver fibrosis in rats. Food Chem. 2013;138:802-7 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrated that pterostilbene exhibited hepatoprotective effects on experimental fibrosis, potentially by inhibiting the TGF-?1/Smad signaling. ..
- Planas J, Alfaras I, Colom H, Juan M. The bioavailability and distribution of trans-resveratrol are constrained by ABC transporters. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2012;527:67-73 pubmed publisher..The role of these transporters as a bottleneck in the absorption of trans-resveratrol cannot be undervalued affecting not only the bioavailability of its glucuronide and sulfate but also their distribution in the different organs...
- Clouser C, Chauhan J, Bess M, van Oploo J, Zhou D, Dimick Gray S, et al. Anti-HIV-1 activity of resveratrol derivatives and synergistic inhibition of HIV-1 by the combination of resveratrol and decitabine. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012;22:6642-6 pubmed publisher..These results reveal novel resveratrol derivatives with anti-HIV-1 activity that may have mechanisms of action that differ from the drugs currently used to treat HIV-1. ..
- Simsek Y, Gurocak S, Turkoz Y, Akpolat N, Celik O, Ozer A, et al. Ameliorative effects of resveratrol on acute ovarian toxicity induced by total body irradiation in young adult rats. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2012;25:262-6 pubmed publisher..014). Resveratrol attenuated irradiation-dependent ovarian damage, suggesting that this natural antioxidant is effective in reducing the follicle loss induced by ionizing radiation. ..
- Heger A, Ferk F, Nersesyan A, Szekeres T, Kundi M, Wagner K, et al. Intake of a resveratrol-containing dietary supplement has no impact on DNA stability in healthy subjects. Mutat Res. 2012;749:82-6 pubmed publisher..This amount is equivalent to or lower than that reached after intake of many (ca. 50%) of the RES-containing preparations which are currently on the market in Middle Europe, and is contained in 0.3-2L red wine. ..
- Lin V, Tsai Y, Lin J, Fan L, Pan M, Ho C, et al. Activation of AMPK by pterostilbene suppresses lipogenesis and cell-cycle progression in p53 positive and negative human prostate cancer cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60:6399-407 pubmed publisher..a reduced risk of prostate cancer, and small fruits are particularly rich sources of many active phytochemical stilbenes, such as pterostilbene...
- Xia N, Strand S, Schlufter F, Siuda D, Reifenberg G, Kleinert H, et al. Role of SIRT1 and FOXO factors in eNOS transcriptional activation by resveratrol. Nitric Oxide. 2013;32:29-35 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, resveratrol enhances the expression and activity of FOXO transcription factors. The SIRT1/FOXO factor axis is involved in resveratrol-induced eNOS transcriptional activation. ..
- Espinoza J, Takami A, Trung L, Kato S, Nakao S. Resveratrol prevents EBV transformation and inhibits the outgrowth of EBV-immortalized human B cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e51306 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that resveratrol may therefore be a potentially effective therapeutic alternative for preventing EBV-associated lymphoproliferative diseases in immune compromised patients. ..
- Liu B, Ghosh S, Yang X, Zheng H, Liu X, Wang Z, et al. Resveratrol rescues SIRT1-dependent adult stem cell decline and alleviates progeroid features in laminopathy-based progeria. Cell Metab. 2012;16:738-50 pubmed publisher..The link between conserved SIRT1 longevity pathway and progeria suggests a stem cell-based and SIRT1 pathway-dependent therapeutic strategy for progeria. ..
- Klink J, Tewari A, Masko E, Antonelli J, Febbo P, Cohen P, et al. Resveratrol worsens survival in SCID mice with prostate cancer xenografts in a cell-line specific manner, through paradoxical effects on oncogenic pathways. Prostate. 2013;73:754-62 pubmed publisher..Based on these preliminary data that resveratrol may be harmful, caution should be advised in using resveratrol for patients until further studies can be conducted. ..
- Chen B, Kuo C, Liu Y, Ye L, Chen J, Shieh C. Ultrasonic-assisted extraction of the botanical dietary supplement resveratrol and other constituents of Polygonum cuspidatum. J Nat Prod. 2012;75:1810-3 pubmed publisher..Under the extraction conditions used (extraction temperature 50 °C; ultrasonic power 150 W), yields of 3.5, 9.2, and 7.8 mg/g were obtained for 1-3, respectively. ..
- Pang W, Xiong Y, Zhang Z, Wei N, Chen N, Yang G. Lentivirus-mediated Sirt1 shRNA and resveratrol independently induce porcine preadipocyte apoptosis by canonical apoptotic pathway. Mol Biol Rep. 2013;40:129-39 pubmed publisher..The regulation of apoptosis by resveratrol and Sirt1 may provide a novel insight to control preadipocyte number through cellular apoptosis...
- Mendes J, Riekes M, de Oliveira V, Michel M, Stulzer H, Khalil N, et al. PHBV/PCL microparticles for controlled release of resveratrol: physicochemical characterization, antioxidant potential, and effect on hemolysis of human erythrocytes. ScientificWorldJournal. 2012;2012:542937 pubmed publisher..Resveratrol-loaded PHBV/PCL microparticles showed no cytotoxic effect on red blood cells...
- Tomé Carneiro J, Gonzálvez M, Larrosa M, Yáñez Gascón M, García Almagro F, Ruiz Ros J, et al. Grape resveratrol increases serum adiponectin and downregulates inflammatory genes in peripheral blood mononuclear cells: a triple-blind, placebo-controlled, one-year clinical trial in patients with stable coronary artery disease. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2013;27:37-48 pubmed publisher
- Delucchi F, Berni R, Frati C, Cavalli S, Graiani G, Sala R, et al. Resveratrol treatment reduces cardiac progenitor cell dysfunction and prevents morpho-functional ventricular remodeling in type-1 diabetic rats. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39836 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that RSV can constitute an adjuvant therapeutic option in DCM prevention. ..
- Vitalini S, Gardana C, Simonetti P, Fico G, Iriti M. Melatonin, melatonin isomers and stilbenes in Italian traditional grape products and their antiradical capacity. J Pineal Res. 2013;54:322-33 pubmed publisher..In this work, we measured melatonin, its isomers, stilbenes (trans- and cis-resveratrol and their glucosides, piceids) and total polyphenols in some different grape ..
- Son Y, Byun S, Pae H. Involvement of heme oxygenase-1 expression in neuroprotection by piceatannol, a natural analog and a metabolite of resveratrol, against glutamate-mediated oxidative injury in HT22 neuronal cells. Amino Acids. 2013;45:393-401 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that piceatannol, similar to resveratrol, is capable of protecting HT22 neuronal cells against glutamate-induced cell death, at least in part, by inducing Nrf2-dependent HO-1 expression. ..
- Xuan W, Wu B, Chen C, Chen B, Zhang W, Xu D, et al. Resveratrol improves myocardial ischemia and ischemic heart failure in mice by antagonizing the detrimental effects of fractalkine*. Crit Care Med. 2012;40:3026-33 pubmed publisher..Resveratrol alleviates the deleterious effects of fractalkine on myocardial ischemia and thus reduces subsequent cardiac remodeling. ..
- Dias S, Li K, Rimando A, Dhar S, Mizuno C, Penman A, et al. Trimethoxy-resveratrol and piceatannol administered orally suppress and inhibit tumor formation and growth in prostate cancer xenografts. Prostate. 2013;73:1135-46 pubmed publisher..Our findings offer strong pre-clinical evidence for the utilization of dietary stilbenes, particularly 3M-Res, as novel, potent, effective chemopreventive agents in PCa.
- Kuno A, Hori Y, Hosoda R, Tanno M, Miura T, Shimamoto K, et al. Resveratrol improves cardiomyopathy in dystrophin-deficient mice through SIRT1 protein-mediated modulation of p300 protein. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:5963-72 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate the pathological significance of p300 up-regulation in the dystrophic heart and indicate that SIRT1 activation has therapeutic potential for dystrophic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Kumar S, Siji J, Nambisan B, Mohandas C. Activity and synergistic interactions of stilbenes and antibiotic combinations against bacteria in vitro. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012;28:3143-50 pubmed publisherThe synergistic antibacterial activity of two stilbenes [3,4',5-trihydroxystilbene (1) and 3,5-dihydroxy-4-isopropylstilbene(2)] purified from a Bacillus sp...
- Lu J, Li C, Chai Y, Yang D, Sun C. The antioxidant effect of imine resveratrol analogues. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012;22:5744-7 pubmed publisher..Theoretical studies on the reaction mechanism of these compounds with (1)O(2) suggest that the 1,3-addition to a double bond with a -OH group with the formation of allylic hydroperoxide is the most probable reaction route. ..
- Militaru C, Donoiu I, Craciun A, Scorei I, Bulearca A, Scorei R. Oral resveratrol and calcium fructoborate supplementation in subjects with stable angina pectoris: effects on lipid profiles, inflammation markers, and quality of life. Nutrition. 2013;29:178-83 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the combination of resveratrol and calcium fructoborate has beneficial effects in patients with angina ..
- Büsch F, Mobasheri A, Shayan P, Stahlmann R, Shakibaei M. Sirt-1 is required for the inhibition of apoptosis and inflammatory responses in human tenocytes. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:25770-81 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results suggest for the first time that Sirt-1 can regulate p53 and NF-?B signaling via deacetylation, demonstrating a novel role for resveratrol in the treatment of tendinitis/tendinopathy. ..
- Jancinova V, Perecko T, Nosal R, Harmatha J, Smidrkal J, Drabikova K. The natural stilbenoid pinosylvin and activated neutrophils: effects on oxidative burst, protein kinase C, apoptosis and efficiency in adjuvant arthritis. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2012;33:1285-92 pubmed publisher..Pinosylvin is an effective inhibitor of neutrophil activity, and is potentially useful as a complementary medicine in states associated with persistent inflammation. ..
- Mena S, Rodriguez M, Ponsoda X, Estrela J, Jaattela M, Ortega A. Pterostilbene-induced tumor cytotoxicity: a lysosomal membrane permeabilization-dependent mechanism. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44524 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of HSP70 expression increased susceptibility of HT29 colon and MCF7 breast cancer cells to pterostilbene. Our data indicate that lysosomal membrane permeabilization is the main cell death pathway triggered by pterostilbene. ..
- Lasa A, Churruca I, Eseberri I, Andres Lacueva C, Portillo M. Delipidating effect of resveratrol metabolites in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2012;56:1559-68 pubmed publisher..This suggests that both resveratrol and resveratrol metabolites may be involved in the anti-obesity effect of this polyphenol. ..
- Rosenow A, Noben J, Jocken J, Kallendrusch S, Fischer Posovszky P, Mariman E, et al. Resveratrol-induced changes of the human adipocyte secretion profile. J Proteome Res. 2012;11:4733-43 pubmed publisher..These effects may contribute to alleviate obesity-induced metabolic complications. In addition, two novel RSV-regulated adipocyte-secreted proteins were identified. ..
- Bhatt J, Thomas S, Nanjan M. Resveratrol supplementation improves glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr Res. 2012;32:537-41 pubmed publisher..Oral supplementation of resveratrol is thus found to be effective in improving glycemic control and may possibly provide a potential adjuvant for the treatment and management of diabetes. ..
- Qiang L, Wang L, Kon N, Zhao W, Lee S, Zhang Y, et al. Brown remodeling of white adipose tissue by SirT1-dependent deacetylation of Ppar?. Cell. 2012;150:620-32 pubmed publisher..We propose that SirT1-dependent Ppar? deacetylation is a form of selective Ppar? modulation of potential therapeutic import. ..
- Jimenez Gomez Y, Mattison J, Pearson K, Martin Montalvo A, Palacios H, Sossong A, et al. Resveratrol improves adipose insulin signaling and reduces the inflammatory response in adipose tissue of rhesus monkeys on high-fat, high-sugar diet. Cell Metab. 2013;18:533-45 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, chronic administration of resveratrol exerts beneficial metabolic and inflammatory adaptations in visceral WAT from diet-induced obese monkeys. ..
- Zhang J, Chen J, Yang J, Xu C, Pu P, Ding J, et al. Resveratrol attenuates oxidative stress induced by balloon injury in the rat carotid artery through actions on the ERK1/2 and NF-kappa B pathway. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2013;31:230-41 pubmed publisher..Resveratrol significantly suppressed the neointimal hyperplasia after balloon injury through inhibition of oxidative stress and inflammation by blocking the ERK1/2/NF-kappa B pathway. ..
- Hubbard B, Gomes A, Dai H, Li J, Case A, Considine T, et al. Evidence for a common mechanism of SIRT1 regulation by allosteric activators. Science. 2013;339:1216-9 pubmed publisher..In primary cells reconstituted with activation-defective SIRT1, the metabolic effects of STACs were blocked. Thus, SIRT1 can be directly activated through an allosteric mechanism common to chemically diverse STACs. ..
- Hur J, Kim S, Lee P, Lee Y, Choi S. The protective effects of oxyresveratrol imine derivative against hydrogen peroxide-induced cell death in PC12 cells. Free Radic Res. 2013;47:212-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that imine analogs of oxyresveratrol may be useful agents in reducing neuronal oxidative damage...
- Dolinsky V, Chakrabarti S, Pereira T, Oka T, Levasseur J, Beker D, et al. Resveratrol prevents hypertension and cardiac hypertrophy in hypertensive rats and mice. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1832:1723-33 pubmed publisher..Overall, we show that high dose RESV reduces oxidative stress, improves vascular function, attenuates high BP and prevents cardiac hypertrophy through the preservation of the LKB1-AMPK-eNOS signaling axis. ..
- Wu Y, Liu F. Targeting mTOR: evaluating the therapeutic potential of resveratrol for cancer treatment. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2013;13:1032-8 pubmed..In the current review, we discuss recent findings on the molecular mechanisms regulating mTOR signaling and the therapeutic potential of resveratrol for cancer treatment by targeting mTOR. ..
- Rodríguez Cabo T, Rodriguez I, Cela R. Determination of hydroxylated stilbenes in wine by dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction followed by gas chromatography mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2012;1258:21-9 pubmed publisher..microextraction (DLLME) has been proposed, for first time, to determine the concentrations of three hydroxylated stilbenes (trans-isomers of pterostilbene, resveratrol and piceatannol) in wine samples...
- Liu C, Wang L, Wang J, Wu B, Liu W, Fan P, et al. Resveratrols in Vitis berry skins and leaves: their extraction and analysis by HPLC. Food Chem. 2013;136:643-9 pubmed publisher..The cultivar 'Zhi 168' had the highest total resveratrols in berry skins while 'Saint-Emilion' had the lowest resveratrols. The resveratrol content of 'Beta' was between that of 'Zhi 168' and 'Saint-Emilion'. ..
- Gu J, Song Z, Gui D, Hu W, Chen Y, Zhang D. Resveratrol attenuates doxorubicin-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis in lymphoma nude mice by heme oxygenase-1 induction. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2012;12:341-9 pubmed publisher..However, the protective effects of RES were reversed by the addition of ZnPP. Taken together, it is concluded that HO-1 plays a core role for protective action of RES in DOX-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis in lymphoma nude mice. ..
- Chung J, Manganiello V, Dyck J. Resveratrol as a calorie restriction mimetic: therapeutic implications. Trends Cell Biol. 2012;22:546-54 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the current literature on the metabolic and cardiovascular effects of resveratrol and attempt to shed light on the controversies surrounding its action. ..
- Flamini R, Mattivi F, De Rosso M, Arapitsas P, Bavaresco L. Advanced knowledge of three important classes of grape phenolics: anthocyanins, stilbenes and flavonols. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:19651-69 pubmed publisher..b>Stilbenes are vine phytoalexins present in grape berries and associated with the beneficial effects of drinking wine...
- Yoshino J, Conte C, Fontana L, Mittendorfer B, Imai S, Schechtman K, et al. Resveratrol supplementation does not improve metabolic function in nonobese women with normal glucose tolerance. Cell Metab. 2012;16:658-64 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that resveratrol supplementation does not have beneficial metabolic effects in nonobese, postmenopausal women with normal glucose tolerance. ..
- Shen M, Wu R, Zhao L, Li J, Guo H, Fan R, et al. Resveratrol attenuates ischemia/reperfusion injury in neonatal cardiomyocytes and its underlying mechanism. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e51223 pubmed publisher..NO, cGMP, PKC and K(ATP) may play an important role in the protective role of Res. Moreover, Res enhances the capacity of anti-oxygen free radical and alleviates intracellular calcium overload in cardiomyocytes. ..
- Poulsen M, Vestergaard P, Clasen B, Radko Y, Christensen L, Stødkilde Jørgensen H, et al. High-dose resveratrol supplementation in obese men: an investigator-initiated, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of substrate metabolism, insulin sensitivity, and body composition. Diabetes. 2013;62:1186-95 pubmed publisher..The lack of effect disagrees with persuasive data obtained from rodent models and raises doubt about the justification of resveratrol as a human nutritional supplement in metabolic disorders. ..
- Pietrocola F, Mariño G, Lissa D, Vacchelli E, Malik S, Niso Santano M, et al. Pro-autophagic polyphenols reduce the acetylation of cytoplasmic proteins. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:3851-60 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight a cause-effect relationship between the deacetylation of cytoplasmic proteins and autophagy induction by red wine components. ..
- Rubiolo J, López Alonso H, Martín Vázquez V, Fol Rodríguéz N, Vieytes M, Botana L, et al. Resveratrol inhibits proliferation of primary rat hepatocytes in G0/G1 by inhibiting DNA synthesis. Folia Biol (Praha). 2012;58:166-72 pubmed..Transformed hepatocytes showed accumulation of cells in the S phase of the cell cycle. ..
- Hector K, Lagisz M, Nakagawa S. The effect of resveratrol on longevity across species: a meta-analysis. Biol Lett. 2012;8:790-3 pubmed publisher..In summary, we can report that few species conclusively show life extension in response to resveratrol. As such, we question the practice of the substance being marketed as a life-extending health supplement for humans. ..
- Rotches Ribalta M, Andres Lacueva C, Estruch R, Escribano E, Urpi Sarda M. Pharmacokinetics of resveratrol metabolic profile in healthy humans after moderate consumption of red wine and grape extract tablets. Pharmacol Res. 2012;66:375-82 pubmed publisher..1-3.6-fold higher urinary concentrations of microbial metabolites were observed after GE intervention at 12-24h urinary fraction. Therefore, supplement intake could be also a way to bring resveratrol benefits to human health. ..
- Bobermin L, Quincozes Santos A, Guerra M, Leite M, Souza D, Goncalves C, et al. Resveratrol prevents ammonia toxicity in astroglial cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52164 pubmed publisher..In contrast, other antioxidants (e.g., ascorbic acid and trolox) were not effective against hyperammonemia. Thus, resveratrol could be used to protect against ammonia-induced neurotoxicity. ..
- Neves A, Lucio M, Martins S, Lima J, Reis S. Novel resveratrol nanodelivery systems based on lipid nanoparticles to enhance its oral bioavailability. Int J Nanomedicine. 2013;8:177-87 pubmed publisher..Both nanodelivery systems can be considered suitable carriers for oral administration, conferring protection to the incorporated resveratrol and allowing a controlled release after uptake. ..
- Sobolev V. Production of phytoalexins in peanut (Arachis hypogaea) seed elicited by selected microorganisms. J Agric Food Chem. 2013;61:1850-8 pubmed publisher..Embryos demonstrated significantly higher production of stilbenoids compared to cotyledons and may serve as a convenient source of genetic material in isolating genes for peanut plant defense enhancement. ..
- Franco D, de Carvalho G, Rocha P, da Silva Teixeira R, da Silva A, Raposo N. Inhibitory effects of resveratrol analogs on mushroom tyrosinase activity. Molecules. 2012;17:11816-25 pubmed publisher..05 µg/mL), followed by the analogs A, E, B, F and C, respectively. This demonstrated that the hydroxylation at C4' on the phenolic ring was the molecular modification with most importance for the observed activity...
- Farrand L, Byun S, Kim J, Im aram A, Lee J, Lim S, et al. Piceatannol enhances cisplatin sensitivity in ovarian cancer via modulation of p53, X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP), and mitochondrial fission. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:23740-50 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings demonstrate the potential application of piceatannol to enhance CDDP sensitivity in OVCA, and it acts on p53, XIAP, and mitochondrial fission. ..
- Yao W, Fan W, Huang C, Zhong H, Chen X, Zhang W. Proteomic analysis for anti-atherosclerotic effect of tetrahydroxystilbene glucoside in rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2013;67:140-5 pubmed publisher..Calreticulin, vimentin, HSP 70, lipocortin 1, and Apo A-I, are key proteins that may be novel molecular targets responsible for atherogenesis suppression induced by TSG treatment. ..
- Sethi S, Li Y, Sarkar F. Regulating miRNA by natural agents as a new strategy for cancer treatment. Curr Drug Targets. 2013;14:1167-74 pubmed
- Chen H, Hsu L, Shia Y, Lin M, Lin C. The ?-catenin/TCF complex as a novel target of resveratrol in the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway. Biochem Pharmacol. 2012;84:1143-53 pubmed publisher..Our discoveries not only reveal a novel target of resveratrol in the Wnt signaling pathway but also show the potential of therapy with harmless resveratrol in colorectal cancer and other Wnt-related diseases. ..
- Han X, Ling S, Gan W, Sun L, Duan J, Xu J. 2,3,5,4'-tetrahydroxystilbene-2-O-?-d-glucoside ameliorates vascular senescence and improves blood flow involving a mechanism of p53 deacetylation. Atherosclerosis. 2012;225:76-82 pubmed publisher..THSG improves blood flow and ameliorates vascular senescence by increasing eNOS expression and Sirt1 activity and decreasing acetylation of p53 at K373 site, at least in part, both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Stakleff K, Sloan T, Blanco D, Marcanthony S, Booth T, Bishayee A. Resveratrol exerts differential effects in vitro and in vivo against ovarian cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2012;13:1333-40 pubmed..While resveratrol is effective in suppressing the in vitro cellular invasion of NuTu-19 ovarian cancer cells, these effects do not appear to impact on in vivo NuTu-19 ovarian cancers in rats. ..
- Zhang L, Yu S, Zhang R, Xing Y, Li Y, Li L. Tetrahydroxystilbene glucoside antagonizes age-related ?-synuclein overexpression in the hippocampus of APP transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2013;31:41-52 pubmed publisher..TSG may have potential to the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's diseases. ..