Genomes and Genes
nervous system diseases
Summary: Diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. This includes disorders of the brain, spinal cord, cranial nerves, peripheral nerves, nerve roots, autonomic nervous system, neuromuscular junction, and muscle.
- Zhao Y, Chen X, Ma L, Zuo Z, Zhu Z, Zhu X, et al. Electroacupuncture pretreatment induces tolerance against focal cerebral ischemia through activation of canonical Notch pathway. BMC Neurosci. 2012;13:111 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we tested the hypothesis that EA pretreatment-induced tolerance against focal cerebral ischemia is mediated by Notch signaling...
- Sun W, Peacock A, Becker J, Phillips Bute B, Laskowitz D, James M. Correlation of leukocytosis with early neurological deterioration following supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage. J Clin Neurosci. 2012;19:1096-100 pubmed publisher..Elevated WBC count appears predictive of deterioration. These data demonstrate that heightened inflammatory state after ICH may be related to early deterioration after injury...
- Bras J, Guerreiro R, Hardy J. Use of next-generation sequencing and other whole-genome strategies to dissect neurological disease. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2012;13:453-64 pubmed publisher..Here, we review these advances and discuss how they have changed the approaches being used to study neurological disorders...
- Song H, Wei C, Dong Q, Wang M, Ji C, Hou Z, et al. [Studing the health status of workers occupationally exposed to carbon disulfide]. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. 2012;30:443-7 pubmed..To study the effects of carbon disulfide (CS(2)) on the health of workers, and to provide the basis for the further preventive measures...
- Jung H, Yoon B, Holt C. Axonal mRNA localization and local protein synthesis in nervous system assembly, maintenance and repair. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2012;13:308-24 pubmed publisher..Here, we review current knowledge on the roles and regulatory mechanisms of axonal mRNA translation and discuss emerging links to axon guidance, survival, regeneration and neurological disorders...
- Thomsen B, Garosi L, Skerritt G, Rusbridge C, Sparrow T, Berendt M, et al. Neurological signs in 23 dogs with suspected rostral cerebellar ischaemic stroke. Acta Vet Scand. 2016;58:40 pubmed publisher..Although dogs are often severely compromised at presentation, short-term prognosis is excellent and rapid clinical improvement may be observed within the first week following the ischaemic stroke. ..
- Mpandzou G, AÃ¯t Ben Haddou E, Regragui W, Benomar A, Yahyaoui M. Vitamin D deficiency and its role in neurological conditions: A review. Rev Neurol (Paris). 2016;172:109-22 pubmed publisher..Recently, several clinical trials on vitamin D supplementation stressed the role of vitamin D as a protective and/or prognostic factor in the onset and progress of such neurological conditions. ..
- Abdul K, Jayasinghe S, Chandana E, Jayasumana C, De Silva P. Arsenic and human health effects: A review. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;40:828-46 pubmed publisher..Occurrence of various arsenic induced health effects involving emerging areas such as epigenetics and cancer along with their respective mechanisms are also briefly discussed. ..
- Benarroch E. Brain glucose transporters: implications for neurologic disease. Neurology. 2014;82:1374-9 pubmed publisher..1-7.) ..
- Bérubé M, Blais N, Lanthier S. Neurologic manifestations of Henoch-Schönlein purpura. Handb Clin Neurol. 2014;120:1101-11 pubmed publisher..HSP is usually a self-limiting disease that requires only supportive care. Patients with CNS vasculitis are commonly treated with corticosteroids. One-fifth of patients with CNS involvement remain with sequelae. ..
- Galban Horcajo F, Halstead S, McGonigal R, Willison H. The application of glycosphingolipid arrays to autoantibody detection in neuroimmunological disorders. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2014;18:78-86 pubmed publisher..Herein we especially highlight the role of the neutral lipids cholesterol and galactocerebroside in modifying glycosphingolipid orientation that subsequently favours or inhibits autoantibody binding. ..
- Tomotaki S, Shibasaki J, Yunoki Y, Kishigami M, Imagawa T, Aida N, et al. Effectiveness of Corticosteroid Therapy for Acute Neurological Symptoms in Incontinentia Pigmenti. Pediatr Neurol. 2016;56:55-58 pubmed publisher..It is important to determine the existence of acute phase lesions on magnetic resonance imaging when neurological symptoms occur or worsen. ..
- Melian E. Radiation therapy in neurologic disease. Handb Clin Neurol. 2014;121:1181-98 pubmed publisher..In addition we review the more commonly seen side effects and complications of treatment which may be seen by the neurologist. ..
- Amin C, Sharathkumar A, Griest A. Bleeding diathesis and hemophilias. Handb Clin Neurol. 2014;120:1045-59 pubmed publisher..Additionally, neurologic manifestations related to the bleeding diathesis in patients with hemophilia are elaborated. ..
- Heroux A, Pamboukian S. Neurologic aspects of heart transplantation. Handb Clin Neurol. 2014;121:1229-36 pubmed publisher..In children, seizures are the most common neurologic complication, although other neurologic complication rates are comparable. ..
- Hu H, Shih P, Shih Y, Hsueh Y. The Involvement of Neuron-Specific Factors in Dendritic Spinogenesis: Molecular Regulation and Association with Neurological Disorders. Neural Plast. 2016;2016:5136286 pubmed publisher..We also summarize the corresponding disorders in this report. ..
- Kim Y, Choi H, Jung Y, Yoo J, Nam H, Song D, et al. The Ischemic Stroke Predictive Risk Score Predicts Early Neurological Deterioration. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016;25:819-24 pubmed publisher..950, Pâ€‰<â€‰.001). The iScore can predict the risk of END development within the acute stroke stage. ..
- Ostaszewski M, Skupin A, Balling R. Neurological Diseases from a Systems Medicine Point of View. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1386:221-50 pubmed publisher..We also briefly discuss cross-scale network analysis as a necessary integrator of these scales. ..
- ..Brain tumors are rare during pregnancy, but may increase in size due to activation of hormonal receptors on tumor cells surfaces, water retention, and engorged blood vessels. ..
- Gantois G, Parmentier Decrucq E, Duburcq T, Favory R, Mathieu D, Poissy J. Prognosis at 6 and 12months after self-attempted hanging. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1672-1676 pubmed publisher..113 mg/dL; P<0.001). Patients surviving a self-attempted hanging who did not have a CA had a good neurological outcome. The rate of suicidal recidivism is particularly important, which justifies joint work with psychiatrists. ..
- Lehn A, Gelauff J, Hoeritzauer I, Ludwig L, McWhirter L, Williams S, et al. Functional neurological disorders: mechanisms and treatment. J Neurol. 2016;263:611-20 pubmed publisher..In this review, we highlight some of the most salient and exciting publications from recent years focusing especially on new findings illuminating mechanism and studies examining treatment. ..
- Iwaki H, Nomoto M. [The adverse effects of anticholinergic drugs]. Brain Nerve. 2014;66:551-60 pubmed..Clinicians should be aware of the impact of such drugs because central adverse effects are often obscure in these patient groups and are easily overlooked...
- Medland S, Jahanshad N, Neale B, Thompson P. Whole-genome analyses of whole-brain data: working within an expanded search space. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:791-800 pubmed publisher..We recommend a rigorous approach to neuroimaging genomics that capitalizes on its recent successes and ensures the reliability of future discoveries. ..
- Beesley P, Kraus M, Parolaro N. The neuroplastins: multifunctional neuronal adhesion molecules--involvement in behaviour and disease. Adv Neurobiol. 2014;8:61-89 pubmed..The diverse functions and range of signalling pathways activated by the neuroplastins suggest that they are important in modulating behaviour and in relation to human disease...
- Merkler A, Reynolds A, Gialdini G, Morris N, Murthy S, Thakur K, et al. Neurological complications after tuberculous meningitis in a multi-state cohort in the United States. J Neurol Sci. 2017;375:460-463 pubmed publisher..2; 95% CI, 0.9-1.6). Tuberculous meningitis is associated with significant risk of neurological complications and death in the United States. ..
- Hays S. Enhancing Rehabilitative Therapies with Vagus Nerve Stimulation. Neurotherapeutics. 2016;13:382-94 pubmed publisher..Here, I provide a discussion of the current uses and potential future applications of VNS-based targeted plasticity therapies in animal models and patients, and outline challenges for clinical implementation. ..
- Rishi M, Kashyap R, Wilson G, Schenck L, Hocker S. Association of Extubation Failure and Functional Outcomes in Patients with Acute Neurologic Illness. Neurocrit Care. 2016;24:217-25 pubmed publisher..Patients with extubation failure may experience a worsening of their functional status over time. ..
- Sánchez Ledesma M, Juanes J, Sancho C, Alonso Sardón M, Goncalves J. Acquisition of Competencies by Medical Students in Neurological Emergency Simulation Environments Using High Fidelity Patient Simulators. J Med Syst. 2016;40:139 pubmed publisher..This is what happens with the competencies related to the initial diagnosis, the requesting of tests and therapeutic approaches, which demand greater theoretical knowledge. ..
- Tong M, Jiang Y. FK506-Binding Proteins and Their Diverse Functions. Curr Mol Pharmacol. 2015;9:48-65 pubmed..In this review, we provide a general summary for the structures and diverse functions of FKBPs found in mammalian cells. ..
- Piccirillo A, Packnett E, Cowan D, Boivin M. Risk factors for disability discharge in enlisted active duty Army soldiers. Disabil Health J. 2016;9:324-31 pubmed publisher..Additional research examining conditions during pre-disability hospitalizations could provide insight on specific conditions that commonly lead to disability discharge. ..
- Földes A, Kádár K, Kerémi B, Zsembery A, Gyires K, S Zádori Z, et al. Mesenchymal Stem Cells of Dental Origin-Their Potential for Antiinflammatory and Regenerative Actions in Brain and Gut Damage. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2016;14:914-934 pubmed..We conceive that such efforts will yield considerable advance in treatment options for central and peripheral disorders related to inflammatory degeneration...
- Costanza A, Baertschi M, Weber K, Canuto A. [Neurological diseases and suicide: from neurobiology to hopelessness]. Rev Med Suisse. 2015;11:402-5 pubmed..Furthermore, it can illustrate the role of the liaison's psychiatrist, who tries to transform a hopelessness situation into a patient's personal questioning and try to be present when therapeutic action is not longer possible...
- Dong Q, Sun L, Peng L, Yan B, Lv J, Wang G, et al. PMX53 protects spinal cord from ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats in the short term. Spinal Cord. 2016;54:254-8 pubmed publisher..Experimental study...
- Pearce F, Craven A, Merkel P, Luqmani R, Watts R. Global ethnic and geographic differences in the clinical presentations of anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody-associated vasculitis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1962-1969 pubmed publisher..This study confirms the previously observed differential occurrence of MPO-AAV and PR3-AAV between different ethnic groups. ..
- Keller I, FlÃ¶ter C, Ragoschke Schumm A, FaÃŸbender K. [The Homburg clinic for nervous diseases in the National Socialist Era. Special features in the Saarland border region]. Nervenarzt. 2016;87:195-202 pubmed publisher..An initial intention to kill by the time of patient transfers from Homburg cannot be proven. Further research concerning the killing centres is necessary. ..
- Tu A, Hengel R, Cochrane D. The natural history and management of patients with congenital deficits associated with lumbosacral lipomas. Childs Nerv Syst. 2016;32:667-73 pubmed publisher..However, in a setting with multidisciplinary follow-up, a period of observation for patients and intervention when patients become symptomatic is an acceptable approach for patients with or without congenital deficits. ..
- Mavin S, Watson E, Evans R. Distribution and presentation of Lyme borreliosis in Scotland - analysis of data from a national testing laboratory. J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 2015;45:196-200 pubmed publisher..Lyme borreliosis should be considered in symptomatic patients that have had exposure to ticks and not just those with a definite tick bite. ..
- Wigfield C, Love R. Clinical neurology in lung transplantation. Handb Clin Neurol. 2014;121:1237-43 pubmed publisher..Allograft rejection and infectious diseases as well as problems related to immunosuppressive regimen are seen later after lung transplantation. Neurologic manifestations with a range of etiologies are discussed here in this context. ..
- Collins P, Musisi S, Frehywot S, Patel V. The core competencies for mental, neurological, and substance use disorder care in sub-Saharan Africa. Glob Health Action. 2015;8:26682 pubmed publisher..Finally, we outline challenges associated with implementing competencies in order to sustain a workforce capable of delivering quality services for people with MNS disorders. ..
- Rathore V, Bansal A, Singhi S, Singhi P, Muralidharan J. Survival and neurological outcome following in-hospital paediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation in North India. Paediatr Int Child Health. 2016;36:141-7 pubmed publisher..Data on outcome of children undergoing in-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in low- and middle-income countries are scarce...
- Kaltsonoudis E, Zikou A, Voulgari P, Konitsiotis S, Argyropoulou M, Drosos A. Neurological adverse events in patients receiving anti-TNF therapy: a prospective imaging and electrophysiological study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2014;16:R125 pubmed publisher..The aim was to investigate the frequency of neurological adverse events in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and spondylarthropathies (SpA) treated with tumor necrosis factor (TNF) ? antagonists...
- Coban E, Mutluay B, Sen A, Keskek A, Atakl D, Soysal A. Characteristics, diagnosis and outcome of patients referred to a specialized neurology emergency clinic: prospective observational study. Ann Saudi Med. 2016;36:51-6 pubmed publisher..Many patients do not require immediate hospitalization. The two most frequent diagnoses for hospitalization were stroke and demyelinating disease. Absence of follow up data on patients discharged home. ..
- ..While the majority of neurologic adverse effects are listed and referenced in the tables, the most relevant issues are further discussed in the text. ..
- Beck S, Feng Y, Sothilingam V, Garcia Garrido M, Tanimoto N, Acar N, et al. Long-term consequences of developmental vascular defects on retinal vessel homeostasis and function in a mouse model of Norrie disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178753 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data provide evidence that the key to adult Norrie disease are ongoing vascular modifications, driven by the persistent hypoxic conditions, which are ineffective to compensate for the primary Norrin-dependent defects...
- Xu X, Wells A, O Brien D, Nehorai A, Dougherty J. Cell type-specific expression analysis to identify putative cellular mechanisms for neurogenetic disorders. J Neurosci. 2014;34:1420-31 pubmed publisher..Our approach may be useful for identifying common cellular mechanisms arising from distinct genetic lesions. ..