Summary: The study, based on direct observation, use of statistical records, interviews, or experimental methods, of actual practices or the actual impact of practices or policies.
- Cunningham S, VAQUERA E, Maturo C, Narayan K. Is there evidence that friends influence body weight? A systematic review of empirical research. Soc Sci Med. 2012;75:1175-83 pubmed publisher..Many of the studies best designed to examine influence were the ones that did not explore mechanisms of influence. A priority for future research is to understand how, when, and how much friends affect the risk of obesity. ..
- Greenfield D, Pawsey M, Hinchcliff R, Moldovan M, Braithwaite J. The standard of healthcare accreditation standards: a review of empirical research underpinning their development and impact. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:329 pubmed publisher..However, the evidence to support these claims requires scrutiny. The study's purpose was to examine the empirical research that grounds the development methods and application of healthcare accreditation standards...
- Salloch S, Schildmann J, Vollmann J. Empirical research in medical ethics: how conceptual accounts on normative-empirical collaboration may improve research practice. BMC Med Ethics. 2012;13:5 pubmed publisher..A considered reference to normative research questions can be expected from good quality empirical research in medical ethics...
- Hamric A. Empirical research on moral distress: issues, challenges, and opportunities. HEC Forum. 2012;24:39-49 pubmed publisher..Finally, opportunities for future research and study are identified, and recommendations for moving the research agenda forward are offered. ..
- Taylor G, Bagby R. Psychoanalysis and empirical research: the example of alexithymia. J Am Psychoanal Assoc. 2013;61:99-133 pubmed publisher..b>Empirical research also supports clinical observations and impressions that individuals with high degrees of alexithymia ..
- Green K, Feinstein B. Substance use in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: an update on empirical research and implications for treatment. Psychol Addict Behav. 2012;26:265-78 pubmed publisher..Clinical implications of research findings are discussed for case identification, selection of treatment goals (e.g., moderation vs. abstinence), targets for intervention, and specific treatment modalities. ..
- Eagle M, Wolitzky D. Systematic empirical research versus clinical case studies: a valid antagonism?. J Am Psychoanal Assoc. 2011;59:791-818 pubmed publisherThis paper considers the issue of systematic empirical research versus clinical case studies raised by Hoffman (2009)...
- Gaynor L, Gallasch T, Yorkston E, Stewart S, Turner C. Where do all the undergraduate and new graduate nurses go and why? A search for empirical research evidence. Aust J Adv Nurs. 2006;24:26-32 pubmed..Clearly there is a need to systematically track undergraduates and new graduates to quantify and understand attrition, retention and workforce choices within the nursing profession and begin to build this evidence-base. ..
- Clarke P, Fiebig D, Gerdtham U. Optimal recall length in survey design. J Health Econ. 2008;27:1275-84 pubmed publisher..A statistical framework is used to explore this trade-off. Finally we illustrate how optimal recall periods can be estimated using hospital use data from Sweden's Survey of Living Conditions. ..
- Fisher J. Procedural misconceptions and informed consent: insights from empirical research on the clinical trials industry. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2006;16:251-68 pubmed..In the context of biomedical research, procedural misconceptions can be seen to function as root causes of therapeutic misconceptions. ..
- Kelly C. Replicating empirical research in behavioral ecology: how and why it should be done but rarely ever is. Q Rev Biol. 2006;81:221-36 pubmed..I also explain how to employ various statistics to test the replicability of a series of studies and illustrate these using published studies from the literature. ..
- Lawrence R, Curlin F. The rise of empirical research in medical ethics: a MacIntyrean critique and proposal. J Med Philos. 2011;36:206-16 pubmed publisherHume's is/ought distinction has long limited the role of empirical research in ethics, saying that data about what something is cannot yield conclusions about the way things ought to be...
- Frith L. Symbiotic empirical ethics: a practical methodology. Bioethics. 2012;26:198-206 pubmed publisher..field of academic inquiry; and recent trends in scholarship have been towards more engagement with empirical research. This 'empirical turn' has provoked extensive debate over how such 'descriptive' research carried out in the ..
- Swinton C, Lantos J. Current empirical research in neonatal bioethics. Acta Paediatr. 2010;99:1773-81 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we review recent empirical research in neonatal bioethics...
- ..While many have argued that empirical research merely illuminates current practices and cannot inform normative ethics, others assert that research-based ..
- Murray C, Mobley A. Empirical research about same-sex intimate partner violence: a methodological review. J Homosex. 2009;56:361-86 pubmed publisherThis article presents a systematic review of empirical research examining intimate partner violence among same-sex couples. Seventeen studies that met the inclusion criteria were rated using a 15-item evaluation questionnaire...
- Alfredsdottir H, Bjornsdottir K. Nursing and patient safety in the operating room. J Adv Nurs. 2008;61:29-37 pubmed publisher..The work environment is increasingly characterized by latent error, i.e. system-based threats to patient safety that can materialize at any time. Interventions to enhance patient safety in operating room nursing are needed. ..
- Blank J, Van Hulst B. Productive innovations in hospitals: an empirical research on the relation between technology and productivity in the Dutch hospital industry. Health Econ. 2009;18:665-79 pubmed publisher..The index numbers are included in the cost function specification and estimation. The results indicate that technical change is non-neutral and output- biased and that some technologies affect cost in beneficial ways. ..
- Pedersen R. Empirical research on empathy in medicine-A critical review. Patient Educ Couns. 2009;76:307-22 pubmed publisherThere is a growing amount of empirical research on empathy in medicine. This critical review assesses methodological limitations in this body of research that have not received adequate attention...
- de Vries R, Gordijn B. Empirical ethics and its alleged meta-ethical fallacies. Bioethics. 2009;23:193-201 pubmed publisher..Moreover, it answers the question of whether empirical ethics (necessarily) commits these three basic meta-ethical fallacies. ..
- Leget C, Borry P, de Vries R. 'Nobody tosses a dwarf!' The relation between the empirical and the normative reexamined. Bioethics. 2009;23:226-35 pubmed publisher..In each stage, we explore the perspective from both the empirical (sociological) and the normative ethical point of view. We conclude by applying our five-stage critical applied ethics to the example of dwarf tossing. ..
- Widdershoven G, Abma T, Molewijk B. Empirical ethics as dialogical practice. Bioethics. 2009;23:236-48 pubmed publisher..contribution does the ethicist make? What role does ethical theory play? What is the relationship between empirical research and ethical theory in the dialogical process? In this article, these questions will be addressed by ..
- De Vries M, van Leeuwen E. Reflective equilibrium and empirical data: third person moral experiences in empirical medical ethics. Bioethics. 2010;24:490-8 pubmed publisher..This 'empirical turn' is especially visible in bioethics. There are various ways of combining empirical research and ethical reflection...
- ..Conducting empirical research to inform normative reasoning is the usual meaning given to the term 'empirical turn'...
- Kislov R, Harvey G, Walshe K. Collaborations for leadership in applied health research and care: lessons from the theory of communities of practice. Implement Sci. 2011;6:64 pubmed publisher..The paper discusses seminal theoretical literature on CoPs as well as previous empirical research on the role of these communities in healthcare collaboration, which is organised around the following three ..
- Sharpless B, Barber J. A conceptual and empirical review of the meaning, measurement, development, and teaching of intervention competence in clinical psychology. Clin Psychol Rev. 2009;29:47-56 pubmed publisher..Lastly, we discuss several potential impediments to large scale competence assessment and education, such as the heterogeneity of therapeutic orientations and what could be termed a lack of transparency in clinical training. ..
- Strech D. Evidence-based ethics--what it should be and what it shouldn't. BMC Med Ethics. 2008;9:16 pubmed publisher..In the meantime, whenever empirical information plays a role, the process of ethical decision-making should make use of systematic reviews of empirical studies that involve a critical appraisal and comparative discussion of data. ..
- Ahmed A, Green B, Goodrum N, Doane N, Birgenheir D, Buckley P. Does a latent class underlie schizotypal personality disorder? Implications for schizophrenia. J Abnorm Psychol. 2013;122:475-91 pubmed publisher..The possible dimensionality of schizotypal PD adds to growing support for a dimensional structure of PDs including other Cluster A disorders. ..
- Daidone S, Street A. How much should be paid for specialised treatment?. Soc Sci Med. 2013;84:110-8 pubmed publisher..We also find substantial variation in the average cost of treatment across the hospital sector, due neither to the provision of specialised care nor to other characteristics of each hospital's patients. ..
- Friberg E, Gustafsson K, Alexanderson K. Hearing difficulties, ear-related diagnoses and sickness absence or disability pension--a systematic literature review. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:772 pubmed publisher..Remarkably few studies on hearing difficulties in relation to sickness absence or disability pension were identified. The results presented in them cannot provide evidence for direction or magnitude of potential associations. ..
- Coppens K, Tellings A, Schreuder R, Verhoeven L. Developing a structural model of reading: the role of hearing status in reading development over time. J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ. 2013;18:489-512 pubmed publisher..However, a multigroup comparison model showed that the predictive values of the relations between the different tasks differed for the two groups. ..
- Parvin G, Shaw R. Microfinance institutions and a coastal community's disaster risk reduction, response, and recovery process: a case study of Hatiya, Bangladesh. Disasters. 2013;37:165-84 pubmed publisher..The outcomes of this study could help to guide the current efforts of MFIs to enhance the ability of coastal communities to prepare for and to recover from disasters efficiently and effectively. ..
- Rao J, Anderson L. Examining external validity in efficacy and secondary articles of home-based depression care management interventions for older adults. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012;9:E172 pubmed publisher..Reviewing only primary publications of efficacy trials may provide a limited view of external validity, at least for publications describing home-based depression care management. ..
- Kohn M, Berta W, Langley A, Davis D. Evidence-based decision making in health care settings: from theory to practice. Adv Health Care Manag. 2011;11:215-34 pubmed..as they relate to (1) the nature of evidence that is brought to bear on decision making; (2) the maturity of empirical research in each field (in particular, studies that have substantiated whether or not and how evidence-based decision ..
- Alladin A. Cognitive hypnotherapy: a new vision and strategy for research and practice. Am J Clin Hypn. 2012;54:249-62 pubmed
- Chapman S, Eisinga A, Hopewell S, Clarke M. Two-thirds of methodological research remained unpublished after presentation at Cochrane Colloquia: an empirical analysis. J Clin Epidemiol. 2012;65:493-6 pubmed publisher..This highlights the importance of searching conference abstracts if one wishes to find as comprehensive and complete a sample of methodological research as possible. ..
- Gardner M, Sandberg D. Growth hormone treatment for short stature: a review of psychosocial assumptions and empirical evidence. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2011;9:579-88; quiz 589 pubmed..Clinicians are encouraged to systematically explore alternative, evidence-based options to rhGH treatment with parents and patients as a remedy for any perceived liabilities of SS, either in the present or future. ..
- Fan V, Savedoff W. The health financing transition: a conceptual framework and empirical evidence. Soc Sci Med. 2014;105:112-21 pubmed publisher..These results support the existence of a health financing transition and characterize how public policy influences these trends. ..
- Marmarosh C. Empirically supported perspectives on transference. Psychotherapy (Chic). 2012;49:364-9 pubmed publisher..about transference and our continued need to struggle with what transference is and is not, how it can best be used to help people, and how future empirical research, across psychology disciplines, is critical to move our field forward.
- Hewstone M, Swart H. Fifty-odd years of inter-group contact: from hypothesis to integrated theory. Br J Soc Psychol. 2011;50:374-86 pubmed publisher..We conclude that this body of work no longer merits the modest title of 'hypothesis', but fully deserves acknowledgement as an integrated and influential theory. ..
- Fichera E, Sutton M. State and self investments in health. J Health Econ. 2011;30:1164-73 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that prescription of lipid-lowering drugs to individuals with cardiovascular disease increases the probability of smoking cessation by 20-28 percentage points. ..
- Murasko J. Physical growth and cognitive skills in early-life: evidence from a nationally representative US birth cohort. Soc Sci Med. 2013;97:267-77 pubmed publisher..Girls exhibit stronger evidence of this latter result than boys. These findings have implications for the interpretation of early life as a critical period for the growth-cognition relationship. ..
- Trannoy A. [Lessons from the theories of justice on ways to tackle health inequalities]. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique. 2013;61 Suppl 3:S153-7 pubmed publisher..When these inequalities are quite high in proportion of total explained inequalities, it means that we are not so far from a public health policy, which is going to reach his main objective in reducing health inequalities. ..
- Heikkinen K, Leino Kilpi H, Salantera S. Ambulatory orthopaedic surgery patients' knowledge with internet-based education. Methods Inf Med. 2012;51:295-300 pubmed publisher..As a conclusion, positive results concerning patients' knowledge could be achieved with the Internet-based education. The Internet is a viable method in ambulatory care. ..
- Shean G. Some limitations on the external validity of psychotherapy efficacy studies and suggestions for future research. Am J Psychother. 2012;66:227-42 pubmed..Finally, alternative research approaches for studying psychotherapy that can potentially supplement knowledge gained from efficacy studies and foster continued innovation and creativity in the field are discussed. ..
- Seng J, Lopez W, Sperlich M, Hamama L, Reed Meldrum C. Marginalized identities, discrimination burden, and mental health: empirical exploration of an interpersonal-level approach to modeling intersectionality. Soc Sci Med. 2012;75:2437-45 pubmed publisher..This study's results point to instrument development ideas to improve the statistical modeling of intersectionality in health and social science research. ..
- Ingram T, Harmon L, Shurin J. When should we expect early bursts of trait evolution in comparative data? Predictions from an evolutionary food web model. J Evol Biol. 2012;25:1902-10 pubmed publisher..These results suggest testable predictions about how the niche structure of ecological communities may be reflected by macroevolutionary patterns. ..
- Charland L. Ethical and conceptual issues in eating disorders. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2013;26:562-5 pubmed publisher..There has been impressive progress in empirical ethics research on anorexia nervosa, with important implications for ethical and conceptual issues that surround decision-making capacity and our understanding of the illness. ..
- Lindberg E, Hörberg U, Persson E, Ekebergh M. "It made me feel human"-a phenomenological study of older patients' experiences of participating in a team meeting. Int J Qual Stud Health Well-being. 2013;8:20714 pubmed publisher..An expanded vision may open up for existential dimensions of what brings meaning to life. One way, as described by the patients, is via the patient's life stories, through which the patients can be seen as a whole human being. ..
- Hendrickson S, Willett W, Rosner B, Eliassen A. Food predictors of plasma carotenoids. Nutrients. 2013;5:4051-66 pubmed publisher..28 and 0.31 for lutein/zeaxanthin, 0.22 and 0.23 for lycopene, and 0.22 and 0.27 for total carotenoids. Empirical prediction models may modestly improve assessment of some carotenoids, particularly ?-carotene and ?-cryptoxanthin. ..
- Wang J, Wang J, Liu G. Calculation of nucleosomal DNA deformation energy: its implication for nucleosome positioning. Chromosome Res. 2012;20:889-902 pubmed publisher..Our result supports the debated notion that the nucleosome positioning in the genomic sequences is guided primarily by deformational properties of DNA. ..
- Buijck B, Zuidema S, Spruit van Eijk M, Bor H, Gerritsen D, Koopmans R. Is patient-grouping on basis of condition on admission indicative for discharge destination in geriatric stroke patients after rehabilitation in skilled nursing facilities? The results of a cluster analysis. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:443 pubmed publisher..It is important to put substantial effort into the rehabilitation of patients in poor condition at admission. ..
- Swann W, Jetten J, Gomez A, Whitehouse H, Bastian B. When group membership gets personal: a theory of identity fusion. Psychol Rev. 2012;119:441-56 pubmed publisher..Possible causes of identity fusion--ranging from relatively distal, evolutionary, and cultural influences to more proximal, contextual influences--are discussed. Finally, implications and future directions are considered. ..
- Bonsang E, Adam S, Perelman S. Does retirement affect cognitive functioning?. J Health Econ. 2012;31:490-501 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that reforms aimed at promoting labour force participation at an older age may not only ensure the sustainability of social security systems but may also create positive health externalities for older individuals. ..