Summary: A subspecialty of internal medicine concerned with the metabolism, physiology, and disorders of the ENDOCRINE SYSTEM.
- Cohen P. Controversy in clinical endocrinology: problems with reclassification of insulin-like growth factor I production and action disorders. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:4235-6 pubmed
- Lausch M, Reincke M. [Transition clinics in endocrinology and diabetology for the chronically ill in Germany. A recent inquiry]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2004;129:1125-9 pubmed..In conclusion there are transition clinics in one quarter of German university hospitals. A more widespread installation of transition clinics is medical reasonable and is demanded by patients. ..
- Fusani L. Endocrinology in field studies: problems and solutions for the experimental design. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;157:249-53 pubmed publisher..Then, I will discuss how to find the right control for a hormonal manipulation. Finally, I will examine the pitfalls associated with long-term hormonal treatment and the available methods for such types of studies. ..
- Metwally M, Ledger W, Li T. Reproductive endocrinology and clinical aspects of obesity in women. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1127:140-6 pubmed publisher..The most important single method to improve reproductive performance in obese women is weight loss that can be achieved with lifestyle changes and diet. Antiobesity drugs may also be used and, in severe cases, bariatric surgery. ..
- Grijpink van den Biggelaar K, Drop S, Schuwirth L. Development of an e-learning portal for pediatric endocrinology: educational considerations. Horm Res Paediatr. 2010;73:223-30 pubmed publisherGlobal accessibility and dissemination of developments in pediatric endocrinology prompted to examine how to develop an educational interactive e-SPE web portal...
- Thomsett M. The spectrum of clinical paediatric endocrinology: 28 years of referrals to an individual consultant. J Paediatr Child Health. 2010;46:304-9 pubmed publisher..Changing attitudes to short and tall stature and a profound increase in new cases of diabetes mellitus indicate that substantially greater resources for treatment of childhood diabetes mellitus will be required in future. ..
- Owyang C. Recent advances and future research directions in neurogastroenterology and endocrinology recommendations of the National Commission on Digestive Diseases. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2008;20:1189-203 pubmed publisher..The author wrote about the areas related to neurogastroenterology, endocrinology and satiety...
- Kenny N, Quah S, Holland P, Tobe S, Hui J. How are comparative genomics and the study of microRNAs changing our views on arthropod endocrinology and adaptations to the environment?. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2013;188:16-22 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss how comparative genomics has and will impact our views on arthropod endocrinology. We will also highlight the current knowledge of regulation of genes involved in arthropod hormone ..
- Peri A. Clinical review: the use of vaptans in clinical endocrinology. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:1321-32 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, more comparative research of vaptans vs other therapies on clinical grounds is needed to more accurately assess the value of these drugs in the treatment of hyponatremia. ..
- Sapin R. [Interferences in immunoassays: Mechanisms and outcomes in endocrinology]. Ann Endocrinol (Paris). 2008;69:415-25 pubmed publisher..If there is any suspicion of discrepancy between clinical and laboratory data, they must alert the laboratory. This is the only way to better detect and, if possible, eliminate interferences and their regrettable outcomes. ..
- Kirmani S. Molecular genetic testing in endocrinology - a practical guide. Endocr Pract. 2012;18:85-9 pubmed..Decisions on whether genetic testing is needed should be made on a case-by-case basis, with the endocrinologist and geneticist working together from the outset. ..
- Ganswindt A, Brown J, Freeman E, Kouba A, Penfold L, Santymire R, et al. International Society for Wildlife Endocrinology: the future of endocrine measures for reproductive science, animal welfare and conservation biology. Biol Lett. 2012;8:695-7 pubmed publisher..To provide such a communication platform, the International Society for Wildlife Endocrinology (ISWE) was established in 2010, followed by an international meeting held on 3-4 November 2011 at the Toronto ..
- Kushnir M, Rockwood A, Bergquist J. Liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry applications in endocrinology. Mass Spectrom Rev. 2010;29:480-502 pubmed publisher..All described analytical methods were extensively validated, utilized in routine diagnostic practice, and were applied in a number of clinical and epidemiological studies, including a study of the steroidogenesis in ovarian follicles. ..
- Scobell S, MacKenzie D. Reproductive endocrinology of Syngnathidae. J Fish Biol. 2011;78:1662-80 pubmed publisher..Additionally, their coastal distribution and embryo retention make them potentially important subjects for studies on the effect of endocrine disruption on fitness...
- Honour J. Steroid assays in paediatric endocrinology. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2010;2:1-16 pubmed publisher..It is important to keep a dialogue between clinicians and the laboratory, especially when any laboratory result does not make sense in the clinical investigation. ..
- Monteleone P. New frontiers in endocrinology of eating disorders. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2011;6:189-208 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the potential therapeutics of new medications developed on the basis of neuroendocrine aberrations found in EDs is also presented. ..
- Cohen P, Rogol A, Deal C, Saenger P, Reiter E, Ross J, et al. Consensus statement on the diagnosis and treatment of children with idiopathic short stature: a summary of the Growth Hormone Research Society, the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society, and the European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology Work. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:4210-7 pubmed publisher..5 SDS) should prompt consideration of GH dose reduction. GH therapy for children with ISS has a similar safety profile to other GH indications. ..
- Belchetz P, Barth J, Kaufman J. Biochemical endocrinology of the hypogonadal male. Ann Clin Biochem. 2010;47:503-15 pubmed publisher..A growing problem relates to the diagnosis and treatment of hypogonadism in the ageing male. T therapy is available in several forms, with major improvements in more newly available modalities. ..
- Sun M, Kraus W. Minireview: Long noncoding RNAs: new "links" between gene expression and cellular outcomes in endocrinology. Mol Endocrinol. 2013;27:1390-402 pubmed publisher..biological functions, and therapeutic implications, particularly as they apply to the field of molecular endocrinology. In addition, we provide a brief overview of how molecular biologists are beginning to probe the identity, ..
- Begg D, Woods S. The endocrinology of food intake. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2013;9:584-97 pubmed publisher..If a choice of food is available, what we eat is based on pleasure and past experience. This article reviews the hormones that mediate and influence these processes. ..
- Vandenberg L, Colborn T, Hayes T, Heindel J, Jacobs D, Lee D, et al. Regulatory decisions on endocrine disrupting chemicals should be based on the principles of endocrinology. Reprod Toxicol. 2013;38:1-15 pubmed publisher..This discussion should result in a better understanding of these issues, and allow for additional dialog on their impact on risk assessment. ..
- Trueba A, Ritz T. Stress, asthma, and respiratory infections: pathways involving airway immunology and microbial endocrinology. Brain Behav Immun. 2013;29:11-27 pubmed publisher..In addition, we review findings suggesting that psychological stress not only modulates immune processes, but also the pathogenic qualities of bacteria, with implications for the pathogenesis and exacerbation asthma. ..
- Virani S, Steinberg L, Murray T, Negi S, Nambi V, Woodard L, et al. Barriers to non-HDL cholesterol goal attainment by providers. Am J Med. 2011;124:876-80.e2 pubmed publisher..we designed a questionnaire that was administered to internal medicine, family practice, cardiology, and endocrinology providers attending continuous medical education conferences...
- Ianculescu A, Scanlan T. 3-Iodothyronamine (T(1)AM): a new chapter of thyroid hormone endocrinology?. Mol Biosyst. 2010;6:1338-44 pubmed publisher..This review discusses recent T(1)AM studies, focusing on both the observed in vivo effects of T(1)AM administration and its actions at the molecular level. ..
- Calder A, Hince M, Dudakov J, Chidgey A, Boyd R. Thymic involution: where endocrinology meets immunology. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2011;18:281-9 pubmed publisher..Accordingly surgical or chemical castration (utilizing luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone) blocks sex steroids resulting in profound rejuvenation of the immune system. ..
- Im A, Appleman L. Mifepristone: pharmacology and clinical impact in reproductive medicine, endocrinology and oncology. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11:481-8 pubmed publisher..A number of new clinical applications are being developed in gynecology, endocrinology and oncology. Mifepristone has also served as an invaluable tool in the study of steroid hormone biology...
- Verstegen Onclin K, Verstegen J. Endocrinology of pregnancy in the dog: a review. Theriogenology. 2008;70:291-9 pubmed publisher..The role of estrogens at the time of parturition remains undefined. ..
- Mehta P, Jones A, Josephs R. The social endocrinology of dominance: basal testosterone predicts cortisol changes and behavior following victory and defeat. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2008;94:1078-93 pubmed publisher..These results provide novel evidence in humans that basal testosterone predicts cortisol reactivity and behavior following changes in social status. Implications for the social endocrinology of dominance are discussed.
- Ingram D, Bachrach B. U.S. News and World Report's rankings of the top 50 children's hospitals for diabetes and endocrinology reflect reputation more than objective measures. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2011;24:759-61 pubmed..S. News rankings of the top 50 children's hospitals for diabetes and endocrinology. Analysis was performed on data obtained from the 2011 to 2012 report...
- Cao M, Tong N. Stratifying and tailoring HbA1c control targets for adults with Type 2 diabetes: interpretation of the consensus proposed by the Chinese Society of Endocrinology. J Diabetes. 2011;3:201-7 pubmed publisher..consensus on HbA1c control targets for adults with Type 2 diabetes has been proposed by the Chinese Society of Endocrinology (CSE)...
- Morris C, Aeschbach D, Scheer F. Circadian system, sleep and endocrinology. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;349:91-104 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to determine the underlying mechanisms that cause the negative effects induced by circadian misalignment. Such research could aid the development of novel countermeasures for circadian misalignment...
- Brain C, Creighton S, Mushtaq I, Carmichael P, Barnicoat A, Honour J, et al. Holistic management of DSD. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;24:335-54 pubmed publisher..The approach to the initial assessment and management is discussed and the subsequent diagnosis and follow-up presented, with emphasis on the importance of careful transition and long-term support. ..
- Rios L, Odueyungbo A, Moitri M, RAHMAN M, Thabane L. Quality of reporting of randomized controlled trials in general endocrinology literature. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:3810-6 pubmed publisher..controlled trials (RCTs) is poor in general medicine and several areas of specialization but unknown in endocrinology. Our aim was to assess the reporting quality of RCTs in general endocrinology...
- Benagiano G, Bastianelli C, Farris M. Selective progesterone receptor modulators 3: use in oncology, endocrinology and psychiatry. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2008;9:2487-96 pubmed..g., mood disorders and Alzheimer's disease) and acute renal failure. Finally they are being used in a gene regulator system. ..
- Burdette J. In vivo imaging of molecular targets and their function in endocrinology. J Mol Endocrinol. 2008;40:253-61 pubmed publisher..target, transporter, or biological process using imaging has introduced major breakthroughs to the field of endocrinology primarily utilizing computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasonography, positron emission ..
- Rauh M. Steroid measurement with LC-MS/MS in pediatric endocrinology. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;301:272-81 pubmed publisher..The applicability for clinical samples and problems in pediatric endocrinology will be discussed.
- Gruber C, Wieser F, Gruber I, Ferlitsch K, Gruber D, Huber J. Current concepts in aesthetic endocrinology. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2002;16:431-41 pubmed..Therefore, a new field in endocrine research known as aesthetic endocrinology is gaining more interest...
- Waters M. Endocrinology: the next 60 years--the helix and the chip. J Endocrinol. 2006;190:11-2 pubmed..What might we expect over the next few decades? ..
- Graber A, Elasy T, Quinn D, Wolff K, Brown A. Improving glycemic control in adults with diabetes mellitus: shared responsibility in primary care practices. South Med J. 2002;95:684-90 pubmed..7% (95% CI 1.4%-1.9%). Barriers to improving glycemic control may be overcome by establishment of a system of collaboration between primary care providers and endocrinologist-directed diabetes educators. ..
- Fragu P. How the field of thyroid endocrinology developed in France after World War II. Bull Hist Med. 2003;77:393-414 pubmed..Starting in 1945, thyroid endocrinology was pushed forward by the use of radioiodine, which led pediatricians to rethink the hereditary transmission ..
- Rapaport R, Silverstein J, Garzarella L, Rosenbloom A. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus in childhood in the United States: practice patterns by pediatric endocrinologists. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2004;17:871-7 pubmed..Type 2 DM was seen in 11.9% of patients. Most diabetes practices in the US utilize a team approach to the management of youth with DM. ..
- Marler P. Ethology and the origins of behavioral endocrinology. Horm Behav. 2005;47:493-502 pubmedThe neurosciences embrace many disciplines, some long established, others of more recent origin. Behavioral endocrinology has only recently been fully acknowledged as a branch of neuroscience, distinctive for the determination of some of ..
- Virdis R. Historical milestones in endocrinology. J Endocrinol Invest. 2005;28:944-8 pubmed..This article gives, still today, important news on the clinical, psychological and social outcome of these patients before the possibility of therapy. ..
- Vogeser M, Parhofer K. Liquid chromatography tandem-mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS)--technique and applications in endocrinology. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2007;115:559-70 pubmed..LC-MS/MS) has emerged as an innovative analytical technology applicable to a wide number of analyses in the endocrinology laboratory...
- Varma S, Boyle L, Varma M, Piatt G. Controlling the ABCs of diabetes in clinical practice: a community-based endocrinology practice experience. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2008;80:89-95 pubmedDetermine A1C, blood pressure (BP), and total cholesterol (TC) (Diabetes ABCs) control in a community-based endocrinology practice (CBEP) and compare levels to national averages...
- Harvey S, Martin B, Baudet M, Davis P, Sauve Y, Sanders E. Growth hormone in the visual system: comparative endocrinology. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2007;153:124-31 pubmed..The comparative endocrinology of endocrine, autocrine or paracrine GH in the visual system of vertebrates is the focus of this brief review.
- Bradshaw D. Environmental endocrinology. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2007;152:125-41 pubmedThe rapidly evolving discipline of environmental endocrinology is briefly reviewed from the 'heroic era' to the present...
- Hale G, Burger H. Perimenopausal reproductive endocrinology. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2005;34:907-22, ix pubmed
- Carmichael T, Carp G, Welsh N, Kalk W. Effective and accurate screening for diabetic retinopathy using a 60 degree mydriatic fundus camera. S Afr Med J. 2005;95:57-61 pubmed..The screening strategy using a mydriatic fundus camera at the diabetic clinic was found to be effective and accurate and greatly reduced the number of possible referrals to the ophthalmology outpatient department. ..
- Fox C, Kirk S. Subspecialty training in the ambulatory clinic: a preliminary investigation of an endocrinology curriculum. Acad Med. 2003;78:1170-4 pubmed..This preliminary study was conducted to investigate subspecialty education, using endocrinology as a model...
- Konwar R, Singh M, Bid H. E-endocrinology: an update. Indian J Med Sci. 2008;62:74-83 pubmed
- Walters M. Problem-based learning within endocrine physiology lectures. Adv Physiol Educ. 2001;25:225-7 pubmed..The outcome of this approach has been very successful: student evaluations of the lecture block and their attendance have significantly improved...
- Swiglo B, Murad M, Schunemann H, Kunz R, Vigersky R, Guyatt G, et al. A case for clarity, consistency, and helpfulness: state-of-the-art clinical practice guidelines in endocrinology using the grading of recommendations, assessment, development, and evaluation system. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:666-73 pubmed publisher..The separation of the quality of the evidence from the strength of the recommendation recognizes the role that values and preferences, as well as clinical and social circumstances, play in formulating practice recommendations. ..
- Rosenbloom A, Guevara Aguirre J. Controversy in clinical endocrinology: reclassification of insulin-like growth factor I production and action disorders. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:4232-4 pubmed..This concept permits ready insertion of new discoveries. ..
- Izquierdo R, Arekat M, Knudson P, Kartun K, Khurana K, Kort K, et al. Comparison of palpation-guided versus ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsies of thyroid nodules in an outpatient endocrinology practice. Endocr Pract. 2006;12:609-14 pubmed..The malignancy rate for nonpalpable thyroid nodules was similar to that for palpable nodules. ..
- Deb Joardar N, Germain N, Thuret G, Manoli P, Garcin A, Millot L, et al. Screening for diabetic retinopathy by ophthalmologists and endocrinologists with pupillary dilation and a nonmydriatic digital camera. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;140:814-821 pubmed..No adverse effects were recorded. Single application of tropicamide 1% significantly improves image quality and certitude of screening diabetic retinopathy with nonmydriatic camera by endocrinologists. ..
- Fuhrer D, Mügge C, Paschke R. Questionnaire on management of nodular thyroid disease (Annual Meeting of the Thyroid Section of the German Society of Endocrinology 2003). Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2005;113:152-9 pubmed..In 2003 the annual meeting of the Sektion Schilddrüse, a thyroid specialist group of the German Society of Endocrinology addressed the topic of "management of benign nodular thyroid disease"...
- Legan S. Multiple-format sessions for teaching endocrine physiology. Adv Physiol Educ. 2001;25:228-32 pubmed..This format has been received favorably by the students because of its variety, and it is easier to keep up with the material...