patient care management
Summary: Generating, planning, organizing, and administering medical and nursing care and services for patients.
Publications228 found, 100 shown here
- Risk of coronary artery disease in type 2 diabetes and the delivery of care consistent with the chronic care model in primary care settings: a STARNet studyMichael L Parchman
Veterans Affairs HSR and D, South Texas Veterans Health Care System Verdict, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229 4404, USA
Med Care 45:1129-34. 2007..Modifiable risks for coronary heart disease (CHD) in type 2 diabetes include glucose, blood pressure, lipid control, and smoking. The chronic care model (CCM) provides an organizational framework for improving these outcomes...
- Report on the muscular dystrophy campaign workshop: exercise in neuromuscular diseases Newcastle, January 2002Michelle Eagle
Newcastle Muscle Centre, Institute of Genetics, International Centre for Life, NE1 3BZ, Newcastle, UK
Neuromuscul Disord 12:975-83. 2002
- Physician management preferences for cardiac patients: factors affecting referral to cardiac rehabilitationSherry L Grace
University Health Network Women s Health Program, Toronto General Hospital
Can J Cardiol 20:1101-7. 2004..Cardiac rehabilitation (CR) is an evidence-based intervention that has been shown to reduce both morbidity and mortality. However, CR is widely underused due to multiple factors, including physician referral practices...
- Impact of a web-based personally controlled health management system on influenza vaccination and health services utilization rates: a randomized controlled trialAnnie Y S Lau
Centre for Health Informatics, Australian Institute of Health Innovation, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Am Med Inform Assoc 19:719-27. 2012..To assess the impact of a web-based personally controlled health management system (PCHMS) on the uptake of seasonal influenza vaccine and primary care service utilization among university students and staff...
- Coordinating care--a perilous journey through the health care systemThomas Bodenheimer
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, USA
N Engl J Med 358:1064-71. 2008
- Psychosocial assessment following self-harm: results from the multi-centre monitoring of self-harm projectNavneet Kapur
Centre for Suicide Prevention, Williamson Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
J Affect Disord 106:285-93. 2008..Research exploring the factors associated with assessment and non-assessment is sparse. It is unclear how assessment relates to subsequent outcome...
- A taxonomy for disease management: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Disease Management Taxonomy Writing GroupHarlan M Krumholz
Yale University, USA
Circulation 114:1432-45. 2006....
- Reducing suicidal ideation and depression in older primary care patients: 24-month outcomes of the PROSPECT studyGeorge S Alexopoulos
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College, 21 Bloomingdale Rd, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Am J Psychiatry 166:882-90. 2009..This is the first report of outcomes over a 2-year period...
- A three-component model for reengineering systems for the treatment of depression in primary careThomas E Oxman
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, NH 03756, USA
Psychosomatics 43:441-50. 2002..The three-component model is bound together by a common depression diagnostic and severity measure that facilitates communication and treatment decisions...
- Improving communication in the ICU using daily goalsPeter Pronovost
Departments of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Surgery and Health Policy and Management, Center for Innovations in Quality Patient Care, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Crit Care 18:71-5. 2003..Clear communication is imperative if teams in any industry expect to make improvements. An estimated 85% of errors across industries result from communication failures...
- Connection, regulation, and care plan innovation: a case study of four nursing homesCATHLEEN S COLON-EMERIC
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, and the Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 31:337-46. 2006..Interventions which improve staff connectedness may improve resident outcomes...
- Stepped collaborative care for primary care patients with persistent symptoms of depression: a randomized trialW Katon
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington Medical School, Seattle 98195, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 56:1109-15. 1999..Despite improvements in the accuracy of diagnosing depression and use of medications with fewer side effects, many patients treated with antidepressant medications by primary care physicians have persistent symptoms...
- American Association of Community Psychiatrists' principles for managing transitions in behavioral health servicesWesley E Sowers
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 304 Wood Street, Fifth Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, USA
Psychiatr Serv 55:1271-5. 2004..These guidelines can be used to help form transition plans, quality improvement initiatives, and program evaluations...
- Remission in depressed geriatric primary care patients: a report from the PROSPECT studyGeorge S Alexopoulos
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:718-24. 2005..In addition, it sought to identify risk factors for nonremission that could guide treatment planning and referral to care managers or specialists...
- [Timing and choice of intervention in necrotising pancreatitis]M G H Besselink
afd Heelkunde, Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, Huispost G04 228, Postbus 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:501-6. 2005..In 2002, to improve the treatment of patients with acute (necrotising) pancreatitis via a combination of research, consultation and centralisation, the Dutch Acute Pancreatitis Study Group was formed...
- Evidence-based careflow management systems: the case of post-stroke rehabilitationS Panzarasa
Laboratoria di Informatica Medica, Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica, Universita di Pavia, Via Ferrata 1, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Biomed Inform 35:123-39. 2002..After an intensive testing in a research laboratory, the system is now in the process of being transferred in a real working setting with the full support of its future users...
- Tips for managing chronic pain. Implementing the latest guidelinesDawn A Marcus
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, USA
Postgrad Med 113:49-50, 55-6, 59-60 passim. 2003..This discussion offers practical tips for managing patients with chronic pain and reducing staff burnout. The author also dispels various myths about chronic pain and focuses on the effective management of its comorbidities...
- Dietetics professionals' role in the changing face of America's health care: the chronic care modelKelletta Blackburn
J Am Diet Assoc 105:346-7. 2005
- Lessons from ALLHAT. Are low budget diuretics first line therapy in hypertension?T Unger
Center for Cardiovascular Research Institut für Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hessische Strasse 3 4, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Z Kardiol 93:349-56. 2004..In this role they could only do good and not cause any damage...
- [Therapy resistance to antidepressants. Definition, prevalence, predictors, and interventional possibilities]H J Moller
Psychiatrische Klinik, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen
Nervenarzt 75:499-515; quiz 516-7. 2004..This applies particularly when the therapeutic aim is complete relief from symptoms, not merely response. This article presents an overview of the definitions and epidemiologic, predictive, and therapeutic aspects of the problem...
- [Triple surgery. Keratoplasty combined with cataract extraction and intraocular lens implantation]E M Messmer
Augenklinik, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen
Ophthalmologe 101:549-53. 2004....
- Health supervision for children with Turner syndromeJaime L Frias
Pediatrics 111:692-702. 2003..This report also discusses interactions with expectant parents who have been given the prenatal diagnosis of Turner syndrome and have been referred for advice...
- Initiation and monitoring of class III antiarrhythmic agentsScott Freeland
From the Department of Pharmacy Services, St Vincent Hospital and Health Services, Indianapolis, Indiana 46260, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 14:S291-5. 2003....
- Initiatives to improve outcomes for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseChris Fehrenbach
Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
Prof Nurse 20:43-5. 2005..This article looks at schemes to help professionals and patients manage this life-threatening condition by improving symptoms and preventing exacerbations...
- [Diagnosis and therapy of sexual disorders. An interdisciplinary challenge]H A G Bosinski
Sexualmedizinische Forschungs und Beratungsstelle am Univ Klinikum Schleswig Holstein Campus Kiel
Urologe A 43:279-84. 2004..Moreover, clinical practice reveals that to focus simply on "fixing the function" could fail the needs of the patient and his or her partner...
- Management of Adult Stroke Rehabilitation Care: a clinical practice guidelinePamela W Duncan
Stroke 36:e100-43. 2005
- Reducing suicidal ideation and depressive symptoms in depressed older primary care patients: a randomized controlled trialMartha L Bruce
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, White Plains, NY, USA
JAMA 291:1081-91. 2004..Depression is the strongest risk factor for late-life suicide and for suicide's precursor, suicidal ideation...
- Audit of primary care angina management in Sandwell, EnglandA Stewart
School of Health, University of Wolverhampton, 62 68 Lichfield Street, Wolverhampton WV1 1SB, England
J R Soc Promot Health 122:112-7. 2002..We recommend that practices develop systems to ensure that the appropriate treatment, advice and checks are given to all patients with angina, paying particular attention to those from ethnic minority backgrounds...
- A multidisciplinary approach to total joint replacementNancy Saufl
Preadmission Testing and Teaching Center, Florida Hospital Memorial System, Ormond Beach, FL, USA
J Perianesth Nurs 22:195-206. 2007..The end products led to consistency in the quality of care across the continuum from preadmission through postdischarge rehabilitation for total joint replacement patients...
- Depressive symptom deterioration in a large primary care-based elderly cohortWayne J Katon
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, 98195, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:246-54. 2006..The purpose of this study is to examine the incidence and clinical predictors of symptom deterioration in depressed elderly patients who have responded to treatment in primary care...
- Overcoming information overload: an information system for the primary care physicianG Octo Barnett
Laboratory of Computer Science, Massachusetts General Hospital, 50 Staniford Street, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 107:273-6. 2004..This paper discusses the important characteristics of the Web site, specific functions that improve the workflow of the practicing clinician, and limitations of the present implementation...
- Polyanalgesic Consensus Conference 2003: an update on the management of pain by intraspinal drug delivery-- report of an expert panelSamuel J Hassenbusch
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 27:540-63. 2004..Based on the best available evidence and expert opinion, consensus recommendations were developed in all these areas. The panel's conclusions may provide a foundation for clinical practice and a rational basis for new research...
- The clinical thrombosis center and clinical thrombologist: a new US health systems paradigm for the management of venous thromboembolic diseaseAlex C Spyropoulos
Clinical Thrombosis Center, Lovelace Health Systems, 5400 Gibson Boulevard SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
J Thromb Thrombolysis 15:227-32. 2003....
- Unravel pain standards for higher complianceCarole H Patterson
Nurs Manage 33:20-1. 2002..Since implementation in 2000, the Joint Commission has made minor--yet intricate--changes to its new pain standards to gain higher compliance...
- Methodological approaches for a systematic review of end-of-life careKarl A Lorenz
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California 90073, and Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Palliat Med 8:S4-11. 2005..This very large, diverse body of literature reflects the tremendous growth of the field of end-of-life care over the last decade...
- Navigating patients and caregivers through the course of Alzheimer's diseasePeter M Aupperle
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08855, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:8-14; quiz 23. 2006..However, in addition to the therapeutic benefits of these agents, associated side effects and potential drug-drug interactions must also factor into decisions regarding the pharmacologic treatment of AD...
- Advancing patient care: integrating new dataTeresa L Wright
University of California San Francisco, and VA Medical Center 111B, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:S32-9. 2006..A number of issues were identified, and statements concerning possible management strategies that could be applied were developed...
- [Aromatase inhibitors in the adjuvant therapy of breast carcinomas]Ch K Baumann
Klinik für Medizinische Onkologie und Brust Tumorzentrum der Frauenklinik, Inselspital, Bern
Ther Umsch 61:359-64. 2004..Future trial results will allow a more complete assessment of the efficacy and toxicity of aromatase inhibitors...
- [Neuroendocrine tumours of the gastrointestinal tract]U Plockinger
Medizinische Klinik m S Hepatologie und Gastroenterologie, Interdisziplinäres Stoffwechselzentrum Endokrinologie und Diabetes, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin
Z Gastroenterol 42:517-27. 2004..Cytoreductive strategies (chemoembolisation, thermo- or cryotherapy, cytoreductive surgery) and radio-receptor therapy may offer new therapeutic options. However, their definitive value has yet to be defined...
- Atrial fibrillation in heart failure: prognostic significance and managementGerald V Naccarelli
Division of Cardiology and the Penn State Cardiovascular Center, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 14:S281-6. 2003..The article presents an overview of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure and reviews the prevalence, prognostic significance, and efficacy of various antiarrhythmic agents for the conversion and maintenance of sinus rhythm...
- A proactive treatment approach for eyes with perforating injuryF Kuhn
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35205, USA
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 221:622-8. 2004..Perforating injuries continue to have a poor prognosis with less than two-thirds of eyes having at least ambulatory final vision, due to proliferation originating from the exit wound...
- [Lesions of the wrist disc. Pathology, diagnosis and treatment]H Hempfling
BG Unfallklinik Murnau
Orthopade 33:657-75. 2004..Moreover, therapeutic measures are still sparse and informative trial results are lacking. An anatomical, pathological, diagnostic and therapeutic comparison with the meniscus of the knee is possible...
- [Salvage operations and their differential indication for the distal radioulnar joint]J van Schoonhoven
Klinik für Hand und Fusschirurgie, St Franziskus Hospital, Munster
Orthopade 33:704-14. 2004..Primary ulnar head replacement should be considered in special indications until long-term follow-up results are available...
- [The caput-ulnae-syndrome. Pathogenesis, clinic and therapy]N Borisch
Orthopädische Klinik der Universität Regensburg im Bayerischen Rheuma und Orthopädie Zentrum, Bad Abbach
Orthopade 33:692-7. 2004..When choosing the procedure, the type and stage of wrist changes have to be considered. The DRUJ usually has to be treated together with the radiocarpal joint. Its isolated treatment is rarely indicated...
- [Acute therapy for eye burns]N F Schrage
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 221:253-61. 2004..Eye rinsing is the major therapeutic measure with a decisive impact on prognosis after chemical or thermal eye irritation. Several different major targets are addressed by this measure...
- [The combination of eye muscle surgery with other interventions on or in the eye]O Ehrt
Augenklinik, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen
Ophthalmologe 101:563-8. 2004..This allows to avoid unnecessary operations, to choose the right dosage of the operation, to limit the risk of diplopia, and finally to achieve a satisfying result for the patient...
- [Arthrolysis of the elbow joint]K Mader
Klinik für Unfallchirurgie, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, St Vinzenz Hospital, Koln
Unfallchirurg 107:403-11; quiz 412-3. 2004..Elbow arthrolysis is a technically demanding procedure, but if indication and techniques are used correctly and surgeon, physiotherapist, and patient are familiar with the procedure, good long-term results may be achieved...
- [Multiple sclerosis: potential therapeutic options and update of ongoing studies]H Wiendl
Abteilung für Allgemeine Neurologie und Hertie Institut für Klinische Hirnforschung, Neurologische Klinik der Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
Nervenarzt 75:536-52. 2004..Based on current concepts of the MS pathogenesis, this article summarizes new therapeutic approaches. Substances and strategies currently tested in clinical trials are reviewed...
- Antiepileptic drugs: expanded options and improved toleranceDavid J Leszczyszyn
Division of Child Neurology, Department of Neurology, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0211, USA
Am J Electroneurodiagnostic Technol 44:75-94. 2004..Fortunately the latter problems are limited in this recent generation of drugs and their broad spectrum of action is leading to improved seizure control and better quality of life for our patients...
- [Erectile function disorders. Epidemiology, physiology, etiology, diagnosis and therapy]H Derouet
Urologische Universitätsklinik, Homburg Saar
Nervenarzt 75:595-605; quiz 606-7. 2004..Vacuum therapy and operative procedures(penile implants) complete the therapeutic options of erectile dysfunction...
- [Guidelines for the sociomedical assessment of performance in patients suffering from chronic obstructive lung diseases (COPD) and bronchial asthma. II: Sociomedical assessment of performance, Annex Part B, bibliography see Part I, Gesundheitswesen 2004, E Becker
Fachbereichs Medizin der Bundesversicherungsanstalt für Angestellte, Berlin
Gesundheitswesen 66:439-56. 2004..Following the determination of dysfunctions the remaining abilities and disabilities, respectively, are deduced and compared with occupational demands. Finally, inferences are drawn regarding the occupational capacity of the individual...
- [Urinary diversion after cystectomy]P Albers
Klinik für Urologie, Klinikum Kassel GmbH, Kassel
Urologe A 43:997-1009; quiz 1010. 2004..Bladder substitutes by means of tissue engineering, however, are still experimental...
- [Current state of wavefront guided corneal surgery to correct refraction disorders]T Kohnen
Klinik für Augenheilkunde der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main
Ophthalmologe 101:631-45; quiz 646-7. 2004..Correction of higher order aberrations has not yet been perfected since the predictability of corrections appears to be deserving of improvement on the one hand and aberrations are still induced by the technique on the other hand...
- A survey of diabetes care in general practice in Northern IrelandC J Kenny
Dromore Doctors Surgery, Co Down
Ulster Med J 71:10-6. 2002..They should also be aware of their practice nurses' needs, which should be addressed. There should be initiatives to improve the primary-secondary care interface in Northern Ireland...
- Provider type and depression treatment adequacyThomas J Kniesner
Department of Economics and Center for Policy Research, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, USA
Health Policy 72:321-32. 2005..Our results show the importance of provider type in treatment patterns, but the effects on patient outcomes are yet to be determined definitively...
- Screening for depression in medical care: pitfalls, alternatives, and revised prioritiesSteven C Palmer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street 11 Gates, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Psychosom Res 54:279-87. 2003..We offer suggestions for how screening instruments might be used to improve the outcomes of depressed persons while minimizing negative effects on health care...
- [PSA-screening for prostate cancer--yes or no?]F Recker
Urologische Klinik, Kantonsspital Aarau
Ther Umsch 61:353-8. 2004..Results of the ERSPC and the PLCO trials are expected to give information about the benefits and harms of mass screening in 2006/8...
- [Prophylaxis and therapy of malaria in the practice]C F R Hatz
Abteilung Medizin und Diagnostik, Schweizerisches Tropeninstitut, Basel
Internist (Berl) 45:677-83. 2004..Drugs for chemoprophylaxis and standby emergency medications are available in industrialized countries. If malaria infection is readily diagnosed, the infection can always be successfully treated...
- [Diabetes mellitus as a complication of treatment with atypical neuroleptics. Possible pathomechanisms and treatment recommendations]H Jahn
Klinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universitat Hamburg
Nervenarzt 75:442-50. 2004..Changes in leptin release and development of leptin resistance possibly play an important role. These new results should be considered when planning therapy, although a final risk analysis is not yet possible...
- [Intraoperative quality control of the placement of bone tunnels for the anterior cruciate ligament]H H Pässler
ATOS Klinik Heidelberg
Unfallchirurg 107:263-72. 2004..The use of computer assisted surgery cannot routinely be recommended at present...
- Development and implementation of the Dutch protocol for rehabilitative management in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisJ P van den Berg
Department of Rehabilitation, Meander Medisch Centrum, St Elisabeth Hospital, NL 3800 BM Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 5:226-9. 2004..Therefore, the Dutch protocol for rehabilitative management in ALS was developed. We describe the development process, the outcome and implementation of the protocol...
- Chronic non-specific abdominal complaints in general practice: a prospective study on management, patient health status and course of complaintsHenriëtte A M van den Heuvel-Janssen
Department of General Practice, Research Institute Caphri, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
BMC Fam Pract 7:12. 2006..Aim of this study was to present a primary care based profile of these chronic complaints including health care involvement, health status and clinical course...
- Rapid improvement in pain management: the Veterans Health Administration and the institute for healthcare improvement collaborativeCharles S Cleeland
Pain Research Group, Department of Symptom Research, U T M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin J Pain 19:298-305. 2003..With the goal of rapid improvement in pain management, a joint Collaborative (Veterans Health Administration and Institute for Healthcare Improvement) was conducted from May 2000 to January 2001...
- Cost management of coronary artery bypass surgerySibu P Saha
Gill Heart Institute UK, Central Baptist Hospital, Lexington, KY, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 103:355-60. 2005..The purpose of this research is to examine hospital costs for coronary artery bypass surgery and to identify opportunities to reduce costs without sacrificing quality and outcome...
- Practical management of avian influenza in humansD C B Lye
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433
Singapore Med J 47:471-5. 2006..A detailed analysis of data from a pooled database from these and other affected countries is critical to building up the evidence base for practical internationally applicable guidelines...
- Knowledge management to support performance-based medicineM Stefanelli
Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica, Universita di Pavia, Italy
Methods Inf Med 41:36-43. 2002....
- Evidence-based medicine: the key to guidelines, disease and care management programmesN Friedman
State University of New York at Buffalo, USA
Ann Acad Med Singapore 31:446-51. 2002..I will review how to apply EBM to the structure and implementation of population-based care management programmes...
- Effective health care: management of head and neck cancersR Collins
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, York YO10 5DD, UK
Qual Saf Health Care 14:144-8. 2005..The management of head and neck cancer, published in a recent issue of Effective Health Care, is reviewed...
- Discharge planning, transitional care, coordination of care, and continuity of care: clarifying concepts and terms from the hospital perspectiveDiane E Holland
Department of Nursing, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Home Health Care Serv Q 26:3-19. 2007..A conceptual model is proposed to facilitate consistent use of these concepts...
- Original research in pathology: judgment, or evidence-based medicine?James M Crawford
Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 0275, USA
Lab Invest 87:104-14. 2007..extent that our judgmental interpretations become data, our tissue interpretations become the arbiters of patient care management decisions...
- Electrodiagnostic medicine skills competency in physical medicine and rehabilitation residents: a method for development and assessmentDavid Brown
UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute, Edison, New Jersey 08818, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 87:654-65. 2008..The standardized educational module and evaluation methodology provide a potential framework for the definition of baseline competency in the clinical skill area of EDX...
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants in the intensive care unit: an evidence-based reviewRuth M Kleinpell
Rush University Medical Center and Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, IL, USA
Crit Care Med 36:2888-97. 2008..However, the impact of nurse practitioners and physician assistants in the intensive care unit setting is not well known...
- German physicians "on strike"--shedding light on the roots of physician dissatisfactionKatharina Janus
Columbia University, Department of Health Policy and Management, Mailman School of Public Health, 600 West 168th Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10032, United States
Health Policy 82:357-65. 2007..Among those physicians who have remained in the workforce, there is a similar dissatisfaction, reflected in part by a general strike in 2006 by German physicians in favour of higher wages and better working conditions...
- Healthchoice: a managed health-care program for low-income uninsured workersD L Scott
Wayne County Patient Care Management System, Detroit, Michigan
J Natl Med Assoc 84:309-12. 1992..Deborah L. Scott, director of the Wayne County Patient Care Management Systems, writes about HealthChoice, a model managed-care program in Detroit, Michigan...
- [Nursing Informatics: state of the art and future of a subspecialty in nursing]Ursula Hübner
Fachhochschule Osnabrück, Fakultät für Wirtschafts und Sozialwissenschaften
Pflege 17:339-49. 2004..However, the activities proposed require a thorough education and training in Nursing Informatics on all levels...
- Management of adult superficial acute abscesses in a tertiary hospital: time for incisive actionJannah Baker
Department of General Surgery, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
N Z Med J 122:37-46. 2009..This paper examines trends in hospital stay over time for general surgical patients presenting with abscess, and outlines the potential benefits if a day case service for acute abscess procedures was established...
- Overview of clinical studies in hemodiafiltration: what do we need now ?Bernard Canaud
Nephrology, Dialysis and Intensive Care, University Hospital, Montpellier F, France
Hemodial Int 10:S5-S12. 2006Despite several technical advances in dialysis treatment modalities and a better patient care management including correction of anemia, suppression of secondary hyperparathyroidism, lipid and oxidative stress profiles improvement, the ..
- Management of coagulopathy in the patients with multiple injuries: results from an international survey of clinical practiceDavid B Hoyt
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA 92868, USA
J Trauma 65:755-64; discussion 764-5. 2008..Bleeding is one of the leading causes of preventable death after traumatic injury. Trauma-associated coagulopathy complicates the control of bleeding. The published approaches on the management of this coagulopathy differ significantly...
- Management of acute intracranial hypertension: a reviewJulius Gene S Latorre
Department of Neurology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Neurologist 15:193-207. 2009..Appropriate and timely management strategies result in better patient outcome in an otherwise severely debilitating or fatal disease process...
- Critical care outreach: the need for effective decision-making in clinical practice (Part 1)Helen C Hancock
Centre for Integrated Health Care Research, School for Health, Durham University, United Kingdom
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 23:15-22. 2007..Arguably, effective clinical decision-making by CCOR practitioners is fundamental to efficient patient care management and the success of these services...
- Electronic clinical path system based on semistructured data model using personal digital assistant for onsite accessOsamu Okada
Department of Medical Informatics, Kyoto University Hospital, 54, Kawahara cho Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Med Syst 29:379-89. 2005Clinical Paths (Paths) have been introduced by different hospitals for patient care management. An Electronic Clinical Path (ECP) with onsite access provision seems to improve the efficiency of medical staffs because they can share vast ..
- Acute care nurse practitioner collaborative practice negotiationDorothy Shapiro
Chest Medicine Associates, Chicago, Ill, USA
AACN Clin Issues 13:470-8. 2002..Continuity and detail are the means by which the ACNP enhances quality care in collaborating in patient care management. This article explores the process of negotiating a collaborative practice role and provides examples ..
- Uncertainty and quality of life of older men who undergo watchful waiting for prostate cancerMeredith Wallace
School of Nursing, Fairfield University, Connecticut, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 30:303-9. 2003..To explore uncertainty, anxiety, and the personal manner in which uncertainty is understood, and explain the health-related and affective quality of life (QOL) of men who undergo watchful waiting for prostate cancer...
- Competing forces, collaborative solutions: a vision for hospital-physician relationshipsAlison P Smith
J Med Pract Manage 23:129-33. 2007..includes adherence to clinical best practice and safety guidelines, adoption of information technology for patient care management, collaboration with hospitalists, and service in leadership and planning activities for clinical programs.
- Patient care management as a global nursing concernKathleen A Bower
Center for Case Management, 6 Pleasant St, South Natick, MA 01760, USA
Nurs Adm Q 28:39-43. 2004..Design of care management processes is guided by specific principles. Roles (e.g., case management) and tools (e.g., clinical paths) provide essential foundations while attention to outcomes anchors the process...
- [Skill in making pharmacist's record and how to make use of it]Takeshi Kimura
Department of Pharmacy, Nozaki Tokusyuukai Hospital, Daito City, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 127:245-56. 2007..Such patients' record should have following characteristics: 1) The record to accomplish the systemic patient care management; 2) The record to share information in the team of medical treatment; 3) The record to define the ..
- Clinical and pathological evaluation of patients with early and late recurrence of colorectal cancerMahdi Aghili
Department of Radiation Oncology, Tehran University of Medical Science, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Asia Pac J Clin Oncol 6:35-41. 2010..To compare the characteristics of primary cancer between patients with early recurrence and those with late recurrence of colorectal cancer...
- Postmarketing surveillance based on electronic patient records: the IPCI projectA E Vlug
Dept of Medical Informatics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Methods Inf Med 38:339-44. 1999..With additional software to collect data not normally recorded in routine practice, data from electronic patient record of general practitioners can be used for postmarketing surveillance...
- Management of tuberculosis in a British inner-city populationVeronica L C White
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Bart s and The London Trust
J Public Health Med 24:49-52. 2002..The aim of the study was to investigate the management of patients with tuberculosis (TB) in terms of their utilization of health service resources...
- Effectiveness of the electronic medical record in improving the management of hypertensionJames W Kinn
Midwest Heart Specialists, Ltd, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 4:415-9. 2002..record that interfaces with physicians during each outpatient visit and provides real-time feedback about patient care management, including the management of hypertension...
- An evaluation of nurses' clinical teaching role in TurkeyGulen Addis
City Hospital, Dudley Road, Birmingham B18, UK
Nurse Educ Today 23:27-33. 2003....
- Management of patients undergoing splenectomy in an Irish teaching hospital: impact of guidelinesJ O'DONNELL
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Department of Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
Ir J Med Sci 173:136-40. 2004..Overwhelming post-splenectomy infection (OPSI) has a 50-70% mortality rate and carries a lifetime risk for the asplenic patient. Specific British guidelines have been developed to reduce its incidence...
- Management of unexpected difficult airway at a teaching institution over a 7-year periodNeil Roy Connelly
Department of Anesthesiology, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA 01199, USA
J Clin Anesth 18:198-204. 2006..To review an anesthesiology department's experience with managing unexpected difficult airways over a 7-year time span...
- Management of stones in neurological patientsAdrian D Joyce
Pyrah Department of Urology, St James University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Curr Opin Urol 17:141-3. 2007..Thus, this review has included publications from the last 5 years...
- Role perceptions and reported actual role content of hospital nurses in Mainland ChinaHong Lu
School of Nursing, Peking University, Beijing, China
J Clin Nurs 17:1011-22. 2008..The study aimed to explore nurses' views and experiences regarding their working roles in Mainland China...
- A system for classifying disease comorbidity status from medical discharge summaries using automated hotspot and negated concept detectionKyle H Ambert
Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 16:590-5. 2009OBJECTIVE Free-text clinical reports serve as an important part of patient care management and clinical documentation of patient disease and treatment status...
- Case management programs: investment in the futureS L Aliotta
FHP International Quality Continuum, Cerritos, CA, USA
HMO Pract 9:174-8. 1995..FHP, Inc., implemented a pilot Patient Care Management program in the Long Beach/Orange County, California region...
- TANCLICO: tools for the analysis of inter-departmental clinical communicationsF Pinciroli
Dipartimento di Bioingegneria, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Methods Inf Med 39:44-9. 2000b>Patient care management provided by healthcare organizations is complex, involving many different care providers...
- Clinical utility of testing human immunodeficiency virus for drug resistanceP R Harrigan
British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV AIDS, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 30:S117-22. 2000..HIV drug-resistance testing is also useful as a tool for new antiretroviral drug design and development, as well as for monitoring the spread of primary HIV drug resistance...
- A controlled trial of cognitive remediation in schizophreniaMark van der Gaag
Parnassia Research Center, Het Spectrum, The Hague, The Netherlands
Schizophr Bull 28:167-76. 2002..b>Patient care management, including type and dose of antipsychotic medication, remained constant throughout the study period...
- Unfractionated heparin: a nursing dilemmaLynn B Oertel
Anticoagulation Management Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Pharmacotherapy 24:156S-160S. 2004..Specific interventions related to UFH administration can enhance patient care management. Because nurses are at the site of direct patient care, they are often in an opportune position for ..
- ARH Plan for Clinical Standards PlatformPOLLY BENTLEY; Fiscal Year: 2005..The focus of the proposed plan is to standardize communication, reduce errors, and improve patient care management with a uniform system that integrates data, real-time, across the system's clinic, inpatient, outpatient, ..
- Comprehensive Positioning Management SystemJohn Epley; Fiscal Year: 2006..Currently available diagnostic and patient care management protocols limit optimal medical care and prevention of untoward consequences, including falls in the ..
- FACT PROCESSING IN MEDICAL RECORDS AND LITERATURENAOMI SAGER; Fiscal Year: 1980..in the medical literature more readily available and more selectively relevant to ongoing problems of patient care management, by providing computer programs that can arrange and compare the medical information in natural language ..
- Protein arrays to profile cytokine expression in ovaria*Ruo Pan Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data will be analyzed using statistics and bioinformatics tool and correlated with pathological and clinical data. The successful outcome of this grant may impact on the development of new biomarkers for patient-care management. ..
- PHYSICIAN-NURSE MANAGEMENT OF ELDERS WITH HEART FAILUREJ Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge is required to inform the design of patient care management models for the growing population of high-risk complex, elderly patients...
- CD-ROM WORKSTATION FOR COMPUTER SEARCHINGLYNN SABOL; Fiscal Year: 1990..the proposed Information Access project is to provide increased access to medical reference resources for patient care management and research...
- Treatment Effectiveness in Depressed Patients with COPDGeorge Alexopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, we believe that our approach to the care of depressed, medically ill patients can generate a practice model that has the ability to rapidly incorporate advances made in clinical science. ..
- A Randomized Trial in Liaison Psychiatry in Primary CareWayne J Katon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Secondary process and outcome measures will include functional disability, adherence to prescribed medications and disease self-management behaviors (i.e. physical activity and nutrition). ..
- Cornell ACISR for Late Life DepressionGeorge Alexopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2007..We are confident that our work will both advance scientific knowledge and have a broad impact on the care of depressed, disabled elders. ..
- Diabetes and Cardiovascular Risks in Primary CareMichael Parchman; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Comorbid Anxiety Disorders in Adolescents with AsthmaWayne Katon; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of this grant will be used to develop future treatment programs for adolescent patients with comorbid asthma and anxiety. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Proteomics and Biomarkers for Hepatocellular CancerNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies may lead to identification of more specific and sensitive biomarkers for HCC in HCV which can then be validated further in prospective clinical trials. ..
- Pilot Trial of Peer Support for Bipolar DisorderGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology and Care of Comorbid Obesity and DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2006..weight loss, nutrient intake, physical activity, depressive symptoms, functional impairment and disability in the two groups of women with comorbid obesity and depression randomly assigned to the two different intervention programs ..
- PREVENTION OF SUICIDE IN THE ELDERLYGeorge Alexopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2002..Data will also be collected to document the impact of intervention on patient care, and on physician knowledge, attitudes, and satisfaction and test hypotheses derived from preliminary studies of the three IRCs. ..
- PREVENTION OF GERATRIC DEPRESSIONGeorge Alexopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2003..Accordingly, we are well positioned to meet the challenges inherent in this difficult but important area of research. ..
- POPULATION BASED PSYCHIATRIC INTERVENTION--PRIMARY CAREWayne Katon; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Course and risk factors for depression in late lifeHillary R Bogner; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- POPULATION-BASED MANAGEMENT OF DEPRESSIONGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. 12-18 mos) Incremental cost and cost-effectiveness of each intervention program compared to care as usual. ..
- Modeling Adherence to Psychotherapy for DepressionGregory Simon; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed research is one component of an ongoing comprehensive program to understand and increase consumer demand for effective depression treatment. ..
- Can Longitudinal Population-Based Data Help to Personalize Depression Treatment?Gregory E Simon; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose a set of targeted methodologic studies to prepare for a multi-site research consortium focused on predicting response to specific depression treatments. ..
- Adherence to Depression Treatment Among Older PatientsHillary Bogner; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project will set the stage for the development and implementation of interventions to improve depression treatment adherence among persons with co-existing CVD. ..
- Antiviral Therapy in African Americans with HCVNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specimens of liver tissue and serum will be collected for basic studies on viral resistance. These studies should help determine the best therapy for AA with HCV. ..
- PROTEIN LIPID INTERACTIONS IN GALLSTONE PATHOGENESISNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may lead to strategies for the prevention and non-surgical therapy of this very common disease. ..
- Alcohol Use and Medical Care Quality among the ElderlyELIZABETH MERRICK; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Decision Support in Community Hospitals: Barriers & FacilitatorsJoan S Ash; Fiscal Year: 2010..S. hospitals to Increase quality, safety and efficiency benefits from CPOE with CDS. ..
- Stepped Care for Depression and Musculoskeletal PainKurt Kroenke; Fiscal Year: 2007..Longitudinal assessment of the nondepressed cohort will establish the frequency and risk factors for incident depression. ..
- Comparative Effectiveness Study for Bipolar DisorderAndrew A Nierenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..The two treatments will be the second generation antipsychotic mood stabilizer quetiapine and the classic mood stabilizer lithium. In addition to quetiapine or lithium, participants can be treated with other medications as needed. ..
- Dignity Intervention for Terminally Ill Cancer PatientsHarvey Chochinov; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Mechanisms by which Rexinoids Prevent Breast CancerPowel Brown; Fiscal Year: 2008..These investigations will provide a foundation for development of an effective strategy to prevent ER-negative breast cancer in humans. ..
- Evidence-Based Medicine in the Skilled Nursing FacilityCathleen Colon Emeric; Fiscal Year: 2008..Common geriatric syndromes conditions (UTI, fever, osteoporosis, falls, and pneumonia) will be targeted, and both an academic and a community-based Veterans Administration Nursing Home Care Unit will be used. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adapting a Medical Self-Management Program for a Community Mental Health CenterBenjamin Druss; Fiscal Year: 2008..If successful, it will provide a sustainable, scalable model for improving medical self-management in a highly vulnerable population. ..
- Creating Avenues for Parent Partnership (CAPP)Janice Buelow; Fiscal Year: 2008..With the appropriate help, these children can learn to be productive members of society. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phase I study of 5-aza-2?-deoxycitidine in acute lymphocytic leukemiaGuillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this proposal, we plan to develop a new form of low-dose chemotherapy, decitabine, for these patients. Early results indicate that this is active and safe. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lifestyle Physical Activity for FibromyalgiaKevin Fontaine; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the effects of LPA on pain threshold, metabolic efficiency/perceived exertion, sleep parameters, and pain catastrophizing will provide mechanistic insight on how LPA influences the major symptoms of FM. ..
- Hospital to Home: Cognitively Impaired Elders/CaregiversMary Naylor; Fiscal Year: 2009..Findings have the potential to inform improved care management of these patients and their caregivers, an Institute of Medicine priority for national action. ..
- TeleCare Management of Pain and Depression in CancerKurt Kroenke; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, if proven effective for depression and pain, TCM could readily be expanded to reducing barriers and improving care of other cancer-related symptoms. ..
- Brucella, Aging and Role of IL-17 in Host DefenseKevin High; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data generated in this proposal will form the foundation of future R01 proposals aimed at enhancing immunity vs. intracellular pathogens in our aging population. ..
- IMPROVING DIABETES CARE COLLABORATIVELY IN THE COMMUNITYMarshall Chin; Fiscal Year: 2001..While the interventions are designed to succeed in the particularly challenging CHC setting, the findings should be generalizable to health systems with more resources and to other chronic diseases. ..
- The Lymphatic Continuum ConferenceStanley Rockson; Fiscal Year: 2002..On the second day of the symposium, attendance will be limited to a working nucleus of 50-60 invited participants in order to encourage open discussion and formulation of theoretical research agendas. ..
- HOME NURSE INTERVENTION FOR IUDE INFANTS--3 YR FOLLOW UPArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2002..Data will be of significant use to researchers, health care providers, insurers and policy makers. ..
- PITTSBURGH NIA ACADEMIC CAREER LEADERSHIP AWARDRichard Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2003..Methods to be followed, key faculty and administrators who will participate in this process, and specific outcomes associated with each of these aims are described in subsequent sections of this application. ..
- ENHANCING FUNCTION OF FRAIL ELDERS BY MODIFYING THE HOMELaura Gitlin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Coordinating Center for Caregiver Intervention TrialRichard Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2003..A uniform battery of predictor and outcome measures will be collected at baseline, three and six months. Cost effectiveness and clinical significance of the two conditions will also be evaluated. ..
- MIDWEST ROYBAL CENTER FOR HEALTH MAINTENANCESusan Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- A+ Asthma Rural PartnershipArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings of this study will be important to clinicians, researchers, and health policy makers. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms in Lymphatic Function & DiseaseStanley Rockson; Fiscal Year: 2004..The physiology and human genetics of the lymphatic system will be explored and there will be a focus upon mechanisms of cancer metastasis and its relationship to lymphatic function and lymphangiogenesis. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionAndrew Nierenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Cell Cycle Controlling Genes in Adult Acute LymphomaGuillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Phase1/11 study of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine and valproic *Guillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2005..Decitabine will be generously provided by SuperGen (r). Valproic acid is an FDA approved anti-convulsant. ..
- Adherence Interventions for Drug UsersAnn Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..Participants will be a multidisciplinary group of researchers and clinicians who are actively engaged in the study of adherence interventions among drug users and other vulnerable populations. ..
- Mechanisms and Treatment of Cancer-Related Symptoms ConfCharles Cleeland; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference should also be of interest to pharmaceutical companies that are developing "pipeline" drugs for symptom control and supportive care. ..
- Lifestyles Physical Activity and Function in RAKevin Fontaine; Fiscal Year: 2006..Fontaine the skills and experience he needs to develop into an independent patient-oriented clinical researcher. ..
- Improving Employment among Gynecologic Cancer SurvivorsLINDA FRAZIER; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improving Antidepressant Adherence in Older AdultsJo Anne Sirey; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Caregiver Intervention for Caregivers of SCI PatientsRichard Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2006..The analytic plan will enable us to assess causal links between treatment components and specific outcomes as well as explore cultural and racial variations in treatment effectiveness. ..
- ETHNIC DISPARITY IN THE USE OF JOINT ARTHROPLASTYDENNIS ANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Program Director, Munro Peacock, M.D., was appointed in July 1987. The GCRC was ..
- CYCLOOXYGENASE-2 AND XENOBIOTICS IN VASCULAR INJURYBabette Weksler; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- RESEARCH PROGRAM TO PROMOTE OPTIMAL AGING IN PLACELaura Gitlin; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is anticipated that at the conclusion of the grant program the SHI will have an active research program that is multidisciplinary, nationally recognized, and addresses critical issues in independent living. ..
- Tailored Activity to Improve Affect in Dementia at HomeLaura Gitlin; Fiscal Year: 2006..This pilot study will provide critical data by which to refine and standardize the intervention manual and protocols, and structure the design of a large-scale randomized clinical trial. ..