Summary: The moral and ethical bases of the protection of animals from cruelty and abuse. The rights are extended to domestic animals, laboratory animals, and wild animals.
- Perry D, Perry G. Improving interactions between animal rights groups and conservation biologists. Conserv Biol. 2008;22:27-35 pubmed publisher..b>Animal rights groups typically categorically oppose killing animals, and their opposition has brought eradication attempts ..
- Kurosawa T. [Alternatives to animal experimentation v.s. animal rights terrorism]. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2008;128:741-6 pubmed..In Japan, the animal welfare law was revised in 2005 stressing the importance of 3Rs in scientific activities with animals. The promotion of 3Rs should be strengthened in the pharmaceutical community. ..
- Rollin B. An ethicist's commentary on veterinarians and animal welfare. Can Vet J. 2007;48:1114 pubmed
- Cyranoski D. China takes steps to secure pole position in primate research. Nature. 2004;432:3 pubmed
- Hogan W, Bucciarelli E. Ethical treatment of animals. Choice (Middletown). 2005;43:602-9 pubmed
- Teitelbaum S. Animal rights pressure on scientists. Science. 2002;298:1515 pubmed
- Bortolotti L. Disputes over moral status: philosophy and science in the future of bioethics. Health Care Anal. 2007;15:153-8 pubmed..I suggest that all intentional systems should be credited with moral status in virtue of having preferences and interests that are relevant to their well-being. ..
- Schiermeier Q, Kerstholt M. Anger at halal law imperils German research. Nature. 2002;416:355 pubmed
- Ingensiep H. [Not Available]. NTM. 1996;4:103-18 pubmed..g., Thomasius, Kant). Finally, examples for the early considerations about animal rights (Dietler, Smith) are presented.
- ..The value of animal research in providing better health for man and animals is incontrovertible. This is illustrated by references to animal research in the field of nutrition. ..
- Carbone M. Animals rights issues continue to generate discussion. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006;229:1564 pubmed
- Welchman J. Xenografting, species loyalty, and human solidarity. J Soc Philos. 2003;34:244-55 pubmed
- Silverman J. Debate continues on lawyers/animal rights. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005;227:705; author reply 705-6 pubmed
- Teutsch G. [Man and his fellow-creatures under ethical aspects]. ALTEX. 2004;21:199-220 pubmed..Morals is stressed here in particular in order to limit the excessive dominance of theoretical ethics and to preserve the priority of action-guiding morals. ..
- Festing S. Animal experimentation: the need for deliberation and challenge. Altern Lab Anim. 2008;36:1-4 pubmed
- Bayvel A, Cross N. Animal welfare: a complex domestic and international public-policy issue--who are the key players?. J Vet Med Educ. 2010;37:3-12 pubmed publisher..We also address the role of the veterinary profession at national, regional, and international levels...
- Guichet J. [Animals and environmentalist ethics]. J Int Bioethique. 2013;24:29-38, 87-8 pubmed
- Rémy C. The animal issue in xenotransplantation: controversies in France and the United States. Hist Philos Life Sci. 2009;31:405-28 pubmed..This objective distance is, however, threatened by new discourses on animal rights, by genetic manipulations that "humanise" pigs, and by scientific practice itself that recognizes a ..
- Cottee S. Are fish the victims of 'speciesism'? A discussion about fear, pain and animal consciousness. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2012;38:5-15 pubmed publisher..There is also good reason to believe that the issue of assessing subjective states is not as insurmountable as some believe. ..
- Williams N. Animal rights protests build. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R856-7 pubmed..Opposition to animal experiments in Britain appears to be extending beyond the labs to other businesses supplying them. Nigel Williams reports. ..
- Forster S. [Veterinary authorities and animal welfare organizations--is cooperation possible?]. Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 2003;110:199-205 pubmed..Strategies to optimise the co-operation between the veterinary administration and animal rights organisations will be described using the local district Kleve as an example...
- ..To integrate nonhuman animals fully into the moral domain, we may have to adapt our conception of morality in some very troublesome ways. ..
- Tieman J. Congressional conversations: horse slaughtering or poverty and health care?. Health Prog. 2006;87:8-10 pubmed
- Rowan A. Knowledge about animal suffering is too rarely used. Nature. 2002;417:587 pubmed
- Davis K. Shared thoughts on animal rights struggle. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004;225:30 pubmed
- Nolen R. Emerging animal welfare ethic transcends borders. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004;225:810-1 pubmed
- Nobis N. Carl Cohen's 'kind' arguments for animal rights and against human rights. J Appl Philos. 2004;21:43-59 pubmedCarl Cohen's arguments against animal rights are shown to be unsound. His strategy entails that animals have rights, that humans do not, the negations of those conclusions, and other false and inconsistent implications...
- Teutsch G. [Man and his fellow-creatures under ethical aspects]. ALTEX. 2003;20:231-58 pubmed..Species-spanning equality must be decidedly demanded. ..
- Furnham A, Pinder A. Young people's attitudes to experimentation on animals. Psychologist. 1990;10:444-8 pubmed
- Rogers T, Gades N, Kearby J, Virgous C, Dalton J. Chronic restraint via tail immobilization of mice: effects on corticosterone levels and other physiologic indices of stress. Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci. 2002;41:46-50 pubmed..This study provides important information for balancing issues of prolonged restraint, animal well-being, and research goals. ..
- Paxton D. Feral pigs--the time bomb. Aust Vet J. 2002;80:305; author reply 305 pubmed
- Kjellmer I. [Animal experiments are necessary. Coordinated control functions are difficult to study without the use of nature's most complex systems: mammals and human beings]. Lakartidningen. 2002;99:1172-3 pubmed
- Bastian S. Objects to veterinarians as animal rights advocates. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006;229:919; author reply 920 pubmed
- Nolen R. Poultry slaughter case can proceed. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2006;229:1359-60 pubmed
- DeGue S, DiLillo D. Is animal cruelty a "red flag" for family violence? Investigating co-occurring violence toward children, partners, and pets. J Interpers Violence. 2009;24:1036-56 pubmed publisher..This study extends current knowledge of the links between animal- and human-directed violence and provides initial support for the premise of cross-reporting legislation. ..
- Zack F, Wegener R. [Killing a wolf--an unusual case of forensic veterinary pathology]. Arch Kriminol. 2002;209:116-22 pubmed
- Gross M. Animals set for protection by German constitution. Curr Biol. 2002;12:R338-9 pubmed
- Spielmann H. A chair on alternatives?. ALTEX. 2002;19:69-73 pubmed
- Farnworth M, Campbell J, Adams N. Public awareness in New Zealand of animal welfare legislation relating to cats. N Z Vet J. 2010;58:213-7 pubmed publisher..Cat owners need to be better educated about the diseases covered by annual vaccination. ..
- Cyranoski D. Animal research: primates in the frame. Nature. 2006;444:812-3 pubmed
- Walker R. Human and animal subjects of research: the moral significance of respect versus welfare. Theor Med Bioeth. 2006;27:305-31 pubmed..While neither potential justification is sufficient to justify the regulatory difference as it stands, there is possible common ground between supporters of some regulatory difference and those rejecting the current difference. ..
- Boon D. [Interview with Professor of Animals and Law Dirk Boon. Interview by Pauline Hoefer-van Dongen]. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 2003;128:80-5 pubmed
- Koch V. More on lawyers in the animal rights issue. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2005;227:30; author reply 30, 32 pubmed
- McCrone J. The lifeboat test. Lancet Neurol. 2004;3:570 pubmed
- Aldhous P, Coghlan A, Copley J. Animal experiments -- where do you draw the line?: let the people speak. New Sci. 1999;162:26-31 pubmed
- Hartung T. Comparative analysis of the revised Directive 2010/63/EU for the protection of laboratory animals with its predecessor 86/609/EEC - a t4 report. ALTEX. 2010;27:285-303 pubmed..It also represents a formal implementation of the 3Rs principle (Replacement, Reduction and Refinement of animal tests) put forward by Russel and Burch 1959. ..
- Bratanova B, Loughnan S, Bastian B. The effect of categorization as food on the perceived moral standing of animals. Appetite. 2011;57:193-6 pubmed publisher..People may be able to love animals and love meat because animals categorized as food are seen as insensitive to pain and unworthy of moral consideration. ..
- Lerner R. Another view of animal friendly curriculums. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004;225:502; author reply 502-3 pubmed
- Gewin V. Drug researcher quits controversial cat study. Nature. 2002;417:778 pubmed
- Luy J. [Ethical and legal aspects of animal experiments on non-human primates]. Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 2007;114:81-5 pubmed..Actually in summer 2006, a proposal for fundamental research using mon- ..
- Speth R. Ignore lies about animal research. Physiologist. 2002;45:491 pubmed
- Stark D. Animal activism and intimidation of scientists. Science. 2006;314:923-4 pubmed
- Levy N. Cohen and kinds: a response to Nathan Nobis. J Appl Philos. 2004;21:213-7 pubmed
- Conn P, Rantin F. Ethical research as the target of animal extremism: an international problem. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2010;43:124-6 pubmed..has been increasing worldwide; frequently researchers are the targets of actions by groups with extreme animal rights agendas...
- Warzecha M. [Pigeon sport and animal rights]. Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 2007;114:108-13 pubmed..The topic of "City Pigeons" will be briefed. The final part deals with pertinent animal rights issues, causes of mishaps, and some rectifying possibilities, which are available to the government ..
- Luy J. The question of a right to life in animal ethics. ALTEX. 2006;23:279-80 pubmed..On the other hand, there is, again based upon Epicurus' argument, a basic moral duty with respect to painless killing (i.e. no fear, no distress, no suffering). ..
- Haynes R. Competing conceptions of animal welfare and their ethical implications for the treatment of non-human animals. Acta Biotheor. 2011;59:105-20 pubmed publisher..Attempts to avoid these implications by alluding to a contract model of the relationship between custodians and their wards fail to relieve custodians of their ethical responsibilities of care. ..
- Williams N. Laboratory blow for research plans. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R141-2 pubmed
- Leeb C. The concept of animal welfare at the interface between producers and scientists: the example of organic pig farming. Acta Biotheor. 2011;59:173-83 pubmed publisher..It appeared that next to problem structuring, multidisciplinary problem solving demands good communications skills to relate animal welfare science to value reflections. ..
- Ravelingien A. Use of pigs for xenotransplantation: the speciesism by proxy syndrome. Xenotransplantation. 2005;12:235-9 pubmed..All of the arguments rest on presumptions that are themselves in need of further discussion or clarification. Other approaches are necessary in justifying use of pigs as sources of xenografts. ..