- Infection with chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate region
Department of Infectious, Parasitic, and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Lancet 370:1840-6. 2007
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), which is transmitted by Aedes spp mosquitoes, has recently caused several outbreaks on islands in the Indian Ocean and on the Indian subcontinent. We report on an outbreak in Italy.
- Evidence for evolution of canine parvovirus type 2 in Italy
Department of Animal Health and Well Being, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Bari, s p per Casamassima km 3, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
J Gen Virol 82:3021-5. 2001
..The failure of established typing methods to distinguish this antigenic variant was overcome by the development of an RFLP assay...
- Glucokinase gene mutations: structural and genotype-phenotype analyses in MODY children from South Italy
Dipartimento di Biochimica e Biotecnologie Mediche, Università di Napoli Federico II and CEINGE Biotecnologie Avanzate, Napoli, Italia
PLoS ONE 3:e1870. 2008
..Maturity onset diabetes of the young type 2 (or GCK MODY) is a genetic form of diabetes mellitus provoked by mutations in the glucokinase gene (GCK)...
- Blood pressure control in Italy: results of recent surveys on hypertension
Division of Cardiology, II Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Sant Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
J Hypertens 25:1491-8. 2007
..Blood pressure (BP) control is reported to be poor in hypertensive patients worldwide...
- Long-term results of riboflavin ultraviolet a corneal collagen cross-linking for keratoconus in Italy: the Siena eye cross study
Department of Ophthalmology and Neurosurgery, Santa Maria delle Scotte Hospital, Siena University, Siena, Italy
Am J Ophthalmol 149:585-93. 2010
..To report the long-term results of 44 keratoconic eyes treated by combined riboflavin ultraviolet A collagen cross-linking in the first Italian open, nonrandomized phase II clinical trial, the Siena Eye Cross Study...
- Mitochondrial haplogroup U5b3: a distant echo of the epipaleolithic in Italy and the legacy of the early Sardinians
Dipartimento di Genetica e Microbiologia, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 84:814-21. 2009
- Chikungunya virus in Aedes albopictus, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 14:852-4. 2008
- The northward spread of leishmaniasis in Italy: evidence from retrospective and ongoing studies on the canine reservoir and phlebotomine vectors
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Trop Med Int Health 13:256-64. 2008
Visceral leishmaniasis (VL) incidence has been increased in Italy in humans and dogs since the 1990s, with new foci being detected within traditional boundaries of endemic transmission but also in northern regions previously regarded as ..
- Reducing clinical variations with clinical pathways: do pathways work?
Department of Medical Sciences, Section of Public Health, University of Eastern Piedmont A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Int J Qual Health Care 15:509-21. 2003
..To test clinical pathways in a variety of Italian health care organizations in 2000-2002 to measure performance in decreasing process and outcome variations...
- West Nile virus epidemic in horses, Tuscany region, Italy
Gian Luca Autorino
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Regioni Lazio e Toscana, Rome, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1372-8. 2002
During the late summer of 1998, veterinary authorities in Tuscany, Italy, received reports of cases of neurologic disease among horses residing in a large wetland area located in the provinces of Florence and Pistoia...
- Occurrence and resistance to antibiotics of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli in animals and meat in northeastern Italy
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie, Via Romea 14 A, 35020 Legnaro PD, Italy
Int J Food Microbiol 82:281-7. 2003
A study was carried out in northeastern Italy during 2000 and 2001 to investigate the occurrence of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli in animals, cattle, pigs, and broilers, and raw meat, beef, pork, and chicken...
- Exocrine pancreatic cancer, cigarette smoking, and diabetes mellitus: a case-control study in northern Italy
Unit of Clinical Epidemiology, National Cancer Institute, Genova, Italy
Pancreas 27:143-9. 2003
..More studies are needed to clarify whether long-lasting insulin-treated diabetes is an etiological co-factor in PC...
- The burden of hospitalised pneumonia in Lazio, Italy, 1997-1999
P Giorgi Rossi
Agency for Public Health, Lazio Region, Rome, Italy
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 8:528-36. 2004
..To evaluate the burden of hospitalised pneumonia in adults in the Lazio region (1997-1999); to describe community-acquired pneumonia (CAP), suspected nosocomial infection (NI) and AIDS-related pneumonia...
- Predictions of mortality from pleural mesothelioma in Italy: a model based on asbestos consumption figures supports results from age-period-cohort models
Epidemiology Unit, Occupational Medicine Department, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Prevention, Rome, Italy
Int J Cancer 115:142-7. 2005
b>Italy was the second main asbestos producer in Europe, after the Soviet Union, until the end of the 1980s, and raw asbestos was imported on a large scale until 1992...
- Virological and molecular characterization of a mammalian orthoreovirus type 3 strain isolated from a dog in Italy
Department of Animal Health and Well Being, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Bari, Strada per Casamassima Km 3, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Vet Microbiol 109:19-27. 2005
..77%) observed in dogs...
- Determinants of age at menopause in women attending menopause clinics in Italy
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negriî, Via Eritrea, 62 20157 Milano, Italy
Maturitas 56:280-7. 2007
We analysed the mean age at menopause and its determinants in 31,000 women attending menopause clinics in Italy.
- Changes over time in the prevalence and quality of care of type 2 diabetes in Italy: the Casale Monferrato surveys, 1988 and 2000
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Torino, Corso Dogliotti 14, I 10126 Torino, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:39-45. 2008
..In this study we assessed the prevalence of diagnosed type 2 diabetes and the quality of care during the period 1988-2000 in an Italian population...
- National pathfinder survey on children's oral health in Italy: pattern and severity of caries disease in 4-year-olds
Dental Institute, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Caries Res 43:155-62. 2009
..22. The results suggest a need to plan preventive programs to reduce oral health disparities among Italian preschool children, based on educational intervention with parents and children concerning oral health and caries prevention...
- Evolution and predictors of HIV type-1 drug resistance in patients failing combination antiretroviral therapy in Italy
Simona Di Giambenedetto
Institute of Clinical Infectious Diseases, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Antivir Ther 14:359-69. 2009
..This study aimed to examine the evolution of genotypic drug resistance prevalence in treatment-failing patients in the multicentre, Italian, Antiretroviral Resistance Cohort Analysis (ARCA)...
- Molecular characterization of multidrug-resistant strains of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium and Monophasic variant (S. 4,,12:i:-) isolated from human infections in Italy
Anna Maria Dionisi
Department of Infectious, Parasitic, and Immune Mediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Foodborne Pathog Dis 6:711-7. 2009
Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium (STM) represents the prevalent cause of foodborne gastroenteritis in Italy with the majority of isolates exhibiting multidrug resistance...
- Epidemiology and costs of cervical cancer screening and cervical dysplasia in Italy
Paolo Giorgi Rossi
Agency for Public Health, Lazio Region, Rome, Italy
BMC Public Health 9:71. 2009
We estimated the number of women undergoing cervical cancer screening annually in Italy, the rates of cervical abnormalities detected, and the costs of screening and management of abnormalities.
- Anti-HPV vaccination: a review of recent economic data for Italy
F S Mennini
CEIS Sanità Centre for Health Economics and Management CHEM, Faculty of Economics, University of Rome, Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Vaccine 27:A54-61. 2009
..quadrivalent and bivalent vaccines, respectively), at this point in time long-term economic models developed for Italy seem to indicate the quadrivalent vaccine as the most cost-effective option...
- Evidence for an impact on the incidence of canine leishmaniasis by the mass use of deltamethrin-impregnated dog collars in southern Italy
Department of Parasitology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Med Vet Entomol 15:358-63. 2001
..We made a field evaluation of the efficacy of deltamethrin dog collars in a CanL focus of southern Italy, Mount Vesuvius area of Campania region, where the vector is Phlebotomus perniciosus Newstead (Diptera: ..
- Influenza virus circulation in wild aquatic birds in Italy during H5N2 and H7N1 poultry epidemic periods (1998 to 2000)
Maria Alessandra De Marco
Istituto Nazionale per la Fauna Selvatica A Ghigi, Ozzano Emilia BO, Italy
Avian Pathol 34:480-5. 2005
Two epidemics of avian influenza due to H5 and H7 highly pathogenic viruses occurred in poultry in Italy in 1997/98 and 1999/2000, respectively...
- Adverse drug reactions related to amoxicillin alone and in association with clavulanic acid: data from spontaneous reporting in Italy
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, Section of Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:121-6. 2007
..To analyse an Italian database of spontaneous reporting of suspected adverse drug reactions in order to compare the safety profile of amoxicillin and amoxicillin/clavulanic acid...
- Consumption of fresh fruit rich in vitamin C and wheezing symptoms in children. SIDRIA Collaborative Group, Italy (Italian Studies on Respiratory Disorders in Children and the Environment)
Department of Epidemiology, Regional Health Authority, Lazio, Rome, Italy
Thorax 55:283-8. 2000
..The consumption of fruit rich in vitamin C was examined in relation to wheezing and other respiratory symptoms in cross sectional and follow up studies of Italian children...
- Effectiveness of hepatitis B vaccination in babies born to hepatitis B surface antigen-positive mothers in Italy
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Infect Dis 184:905-8. 2001
..There is no evidence that the emergence of HBV escape mutants secondary to the immune pressure against wild-type HBV is of concern...
- Circulation of influenza viruses in wild waterfowl wintering in Italy during the 1993-99 period: evidence of virus shedding and seroconversion in wild ducks
M A De Marco
Istituto Nazionale per la Fauna Selvatica A Ghigi, 9 via Ca Fornacetta, 40064 Ozzano Emilia BO, Italy
Avian Dis 47:861-6. 2003
..We analyzed influenza virus circulation in wild ducks in Italy during six winter seasons (1993-99), using virus isolations and serological analyses...
- "Cervia II Working Group Report 2006": guidelines on diagnosis and treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection in Italy
School of Gastroenterology, University of Ferrara, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 39:782-9. 2007
..pylori infection in Italy. Recommendations in the new European Guidelines were considered in the National setting, here in the light of ..
- Explaining the decrease in coronary heart disease mortality in Italy between 1980 and 2000
National Centre of Epidemiology, Surveillance, and Promotion of Health, National Institutes of Health, 00162 Rome, Italy
Am J Public Health 100:684-92. 2010
We examined the extent to which the decrease in coronary heart disease (CHD) mortality rates in Italy could be explained by changes in cardiovascular risk factors versus the use of medical and surgical treatments.
- Seroprevalence and isolation of Toxoplasma gondii from free-range chickens in Ghana, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, and Vietnam
J P Dubey
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Parasitol 94:68-71. 2008
..The prevalence of T. gondii in free-range chickens from Ghana, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, and Vietnam was determined using the modified agglutination test (MAT). Antibodies to T...
- Does temperature modify the association between air pollution and mortality? A multicity case-crossover analysis in Italy
Department of Epidemiology, Rome E Health Authority, Rome, Italy
Am J Epidemiol 167:1476-85. 2008
..The authors found much higher PM(10) effects on mortality during warmer days. The hypothesis that such an effect is attributable to enhanced exposure to particles in summer could not be rejected...
- Variation in the bitter-taste receptor gene TAS2R38, and adiposity in a genetically isolated population in Southern Italy
Beverly J Tepper
Department of Food Science, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2289-95. 2008
..We hypothesized that the nontaster phenotype would be associated with higher BMI and waist circumference (WC) in females, and that dietary restraint would mediate this relationship...
- Asymptomatic Leishmania infantum infection in an area of northwestern Italy (Piedmont region) where such infections are traditionally nonendemic
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Torino, Infectious Diseases Unit, Corso Dante 202, 10141 Asti, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 48:131-6. 2010
..infection was assessed in a randomized sample of 526 healthy adults from a continental area of northwestern Italy where L...
- Aedes albopictus is a natural vector of Dirofilaria immitis in Italy
Dipartimento di Scienze di Sanità Pubblica, Sez Parassitologia, Universita La Sapienza, P le Aldo Moro 2, 00185 Rome, Italy
Vet Parasitol 118:195-202. 2003
Investigations were carried out in Padova town (Veneto region, NE Italy) to define the actual role of Aedes albopictus in the natural transmission of Dirofilaria nematodes, and to assess the risk that its presence might represent for ..
- The cost of hospital-related care of patients with psoriasis in Italy based on the AISP study. Associazione Italiana Studi Psoriasi
A F Finzi
University of Milan, Istituto di Dermatologia, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Italy
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 15:320-4. 2001
The objective of this study was to assess the cost of caring for patients with psoriasis in Italy according to the AISP study (Associazione Italiana Studi Psoriasi or Italian Association for Studies on Psoriasis), involving 104 ..
- Feline leishmaniosis due to Leishmania infantum in Italy
Department of Animal Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pisa, Viale delle Piagge 2, I 56124, Pisa, Italy
Vet Parasitol 106:181-91. 2002
- An estimation of Toxocara canis prevalence in dogs, environmental egg contamination and risk of human infection in the Marche region of Italy
Department of Veterinary Sciences, University of Camerino, 62024, Matelica, MC, Italy
Vet Parasitol 113:243-52. 2003
The human risk of infection with larvae of Toxocara canis was estimated in people from the Marche region of Italy. This region includes both urban and rural areas and its inhabitants frequently keep dogs for company, hunting, as ..
- Prevalence of nosocomial infections in Italy: result from the Lombardy survey in 2000
Unitá Organizzativa Prevenzione Regione Lombardia, Via Pola 9, Milano, 20124, Italy
J Hosp Infect 54:141-8. 2003
..8.7%). Methicillin-resistant S. aureus accounted for 23% of all isolated S. aureus. The results provide baseline data for rational priorities in allocation of resources, for further studies and for infection control activities...
- The frequency of limb girdle muscular dystrophy 2A in northeastern Italy
Department of Neurosciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Neuromuscul Disord 15:218-24. 2005
..Our study surveyed an area in northeastern Italy where an almost complete ascertainment was possible...
- Tobacco dependence in the general population in Italy
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milan
Ann Oncol 16:703-6. 2005
..Measures of tobacco dependence are mainly used in the clinical setting, but limited information is available on tobacco dependence on a population level...
- Folk phytotherapeutical plants from Maratea area (Basilicata, Italy)
Paolo Maria Guarrera
Museo Nazionale Arti e Tradizioni Popolari, Piazza Marconi 8 10, 00144 Rome, Italy
J Ethnopharmacol 99:367-78. 2005
..survey was undertaken for the period of 2002-2003 in the Tyrrhenian part of the Basilicata region of southern Italy. Data of 56 species of plants belonging to 29 families where gathered through interviews; among the species, 47 ..
- Bluetongue virus isolations from midges belonging to the Obsoletus complex (Culicoides, Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) in Italy
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell Abruzzo e del Molise G Caporale, Teramo, Italy
Vet Rec 157:133-9. 2005
..These results indicate that a species other than C imicola is involved in the current re-emergence of bluetongue in the Mediterranean Basin, but whether it is C obsoletus sensu stricto or C scoticus, or both, is uncertain...
- Patterns of persistence with antihypertensive medications in newly diagnosed hypertensive patients in Italy: a retrospective cohort study in primary care
Health Search, Italian College of General Practitioners, Florence
J Hypertens 23:2093-100. 2005
..To describe patterns of persistence and related primary care costs associated with first antihypertensive treatment...
- Prevalence of common mental disorders in Italy: results from the European Study of the Epidemiology of Mental Disorders (ESEMeD)
Giovanni de Girolamo
Department of Mental Health, Azienda USL di Bologna, Viale Pepoli, 5, 40123, Bologna, Italy
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 41:853-61. 2006
To present 1-month, 12-month and lifetime prevalence estimates of mood, anxiety and alcohol disorders in Italy; and the socio-demographic correlates and comorbidity patterns of these estimated disorders.
- Cross-cultural evaluation of the short form 8-item Parkinson's Disease Questionnaire (PDQ-8): results from America, Canada, Japan, Italy and Spain
Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 13:22-8. 2007
- A 12-year follow-up study of malpractice claims against radiologists in Italy
Istituto Nazionale di Riposo e Cura dell Anziano INRCA, Sede di Roma, Via Cassia 1167, I 00189 Roma, Italy
Radiol Med 111:1009-22. 2006
Malpractice claims filed against radiologists have become a relevant phenomenon in Italy and are a real risk in the radiologists' professional activity.
- Total antioxidant capacity of spices, dried fruits, nuts, pulses, cereals and sweets consumed in Italy assessed by three different in vitro assays
Antioxidant Research Laboratory at the Unit of Human Nutrition, National Institute for Food and Nutrition Research, Rome, Italy
Mol Nutr Food Res 50:1030-8. 2006
..The complete TAC database could be utilized to properly investigate the role of dietary antioxidants in disease prevention...
- Prevalence of obesity in 6- and 9-year-old children living in Central-North Italy. Analysis of determinants and indicators of risk of overweight
Nutrition and Food Health Services, Nutritional team, Region of Emilia Romagna, Modena, Italy
Obes Rev 9:4-10. 2008
..prevalence of overweight and obesity among 6- and 9-year-old children in Emilia-Romagna, a region of Central-North Italy, and to study the eating habits and behaviours of these children and their families...
- Prevalence and predictors of potential drug-drug interactions in Regione Emilia-Romagna, Italy
J J Gagne
Department of Health Policy, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Clin Pharm Ther 33:141-51. 2008
..Limited recent data on the prevalence of potential DDIs in Italy are available in the medical literature...
- Detection and awareness of moderate to advanced CKD by primary care practitioners: a cross-sectional study from Italy
Department of Nephrology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Am J Kidney Dis 52:444-53. 2008
..Although general practitioners (GPs) represent the first line for identification of these high-risk patients, their diagnostic approach to CKD is ill defined...
- Cancer incidence in pet dogs: findings of the Animal Tumor Registry of Genoa, Italy
D F Merlo
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, National Cancer Research Institute, Genoa, Italy
J Vet Intern Med 22:976-84. 2008
..The occurrence of spontaneous tumors in pet animals has been estimated in a few European and North American veterinary cancer registries with dissimilar methodologies and variable reference populations...
- Medical malpractice: the experience in Italy
First Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Via Di Barbiano 1 10, 40136, Bologna, Italy
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:434-42. 2009
At the present time, legal actions against physicians in Italy number about 15,000 per year, and hospitals spend over 10 billion euros (approximately US$15.5 billion) to compensate patients injured from therapeutic and diagnostic errors...
- Seasonal succession of Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii and Aphanizomenon ovalisporum blooms with cylindrospermopsin occurrence in the volcanic Lake Albano, Central Italy
Department of Environment and Primary Prevention, National Institute of Health, Viale Regina Elena, 299 00161, Rome, Italy
Environ Toxicol 25:18-27. 2010
..Cylindrospermopsin was detected for the first time in Italy in 2004; in this study, the presence of this toxin in Albano Lake (Central Italy) has been correlated to the ..
- Forest structure and roe deer abundance predict tick-borne encephalitis risk in Italy
Fondazione Edmund Mach, Centro Ricerca e Innovazione, Michele all Adige, Italy
PLoS ONE 4:e4336. 2009
..Although a number of socio-economic parameters have been suggested to explain TBE upsurges in eastern Europe, the principal driving factors in relatively stable western European countries have not been identified...
- Molecular phylogeography of the asp viper Vipera aspis (Linnaeus, 1758) in Italy: evidence for introgressive hybridization and mitochondrial DNA capture
Dipartimento di Biologia, Unità di Protistologia Zoologia, Universita di Pisa, Via A Volta 6, I 56126 Pisa, Italy
Mol Phylogenet Evol 52:103-14. 2009
..Long-term drift and serial founder effects, rather than selection, appeared the main factors affecting the genetic make-up of the Italian asp viper...
- Usutu virus in wild birds in northern Italy
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Vet Microbiol 141:159-63. 2010
..diagnosed in two free-living blackbirds and in three captive owls belonging to two different species in northern Italy in the summers of 2006-2008. Diagnosis was established by immunohistochemistry and RT-PCR...
- Health inequalities between lone and couple mothers and policy under different welfare regimes - the example of Italy, Sweden and Britain
Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 70:912-20. 2010
..policy, living conditions and health among lone and couple mothers in three contrasting policy environments: Italy, Sweden and Britain. These countries fall into distinctive family policy categories...
- Chikungunya virus in North-Eastern Italy: a seroprevalence survey
Maria Luisa Moro
Dipartimento di Sanita Pubblica, Universita degli Studi di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:508-11. 2010
After an outbreak of Chikungunya infection in Emilia-Romagna Region (North-eastern Italy), a survey was performed to estimate the seroprevalence of antibody to Chikungunya virus and the proportion of asymptomatic infections, to identify ..
- Genetic variation within Taenia multiceps in Sardinia, Western Mediterranean (Italy)
Sezione di Parassitologia e Malattie Parassitarie, Dipartimento di Biologia Animale, Universita degli Studi di Sassari, 2 07100 Via Vienna, Sassari, Italy
Parasitol Res 99:622-6. 2006
..undertaken on Taenia multiceps to determine if genetic variation was present within the parasites of Sardinia (Italy). Forty samples were obtained from various locations of Sardinia and deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) was extracted...
- Clinical, social and relational determinants of paediatric ambulatory drug prescriptions due to respiratory tract infections in Italy
Marta Luisa Ciofi degli Atti
Reparto Malattie Infettive, Centro Nazionale di Epidemiologia, Sorveglianza e Promozione della Salute, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 62:1055-64. 2006
..This study was aimed at investigating patterns of drug prescription in paediatric outpatients and at evaluating determinants of prescriptions for respiratory tract infections (RTIs)...
- Costs of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in Italy: the SIRIO study (social impact of respiratory integrated outcomes)
R W Dal Negro
Divisione di Pneumologia, Ospedale Orlandi, Bussolengo, Verona, Italy
Respir Med 102:92-101. 2008
Chronic respiratory diseases affect a large number of subjects in Italy and are characterized by high socio-health costs...
- Molecular characterization of bovine rotavirus strains circulating in northern Italy, 2003-2005
Dipartimento di Sanità alimentare e animale, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Vet Microbiol 129:384-9. 2008
A total of 232 stools collected from calves with rotavirus infection in herds located in northern Italy from 2003 to 2005 was investigated. Determination of the rotavirus G and P types was carried out using nested RT-PCR...
- Late presenters in an HIV surveillance system in Italy during the period 1992-2006
Department of Internal Medicine, Clinic of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:282-6. 2008
..describe trends over time from 1992 to 2006 in the number of newly diagnosed HIV-infected individuals in Modena (Italy) and to describe their clinical and immunological characteristics...
- Update on age at menarche in Italy: toward the leveling off of the secular trend
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Adolesc Health 46:238-44. 2010
..Recent studies suggest that the magnitude of the secular trend toward an earlier age at menarche is slackening in industrialized countries...
- Functional analysis of melanocortin-4-receptor mutants identified in severely obese subjects living in Southern Italy
Dipartimento di Studi delle Istituzioni e dei Sistemi Territoriali, Facoltà di Scienze Motorie, Universita Parthenope, Naples, Italy
Gene 457:35-41. 2010
..study was to functionally characterize MC4R mutations identified in morbidly obese subjects living in Southern Italy. We studied their ligand binding, signaling pathway and subcellular localization...
- Malaria epidemiological situation in Italy and evaluation of malaria incidence in Italian travelers
Laboratorio di Parassitologia, Istituto Superiore di Sanit, Roma, Italy
J Travel Med 8:6-11. 2001
..The aim of this study was to present a detailed analysis of the current epidemiological situation of malaria in Italy, and to make a first attempt to calculate the incidence of malaria in Italian international travelers...
- Complications of thyroid surgery: analysis of a multicentric study on 14,934 patients operated on in Italy over 5 years
Department of Surgery, Endocrine Surgical Unit, Ivrea Hospital, Piazza della Credenza, 2 10015 Ivrea, Italy
World J Surg 28:271-6. 2004
- The economic burden of stroke in Italy. The EcLIPSE Study: Economic Longitudinal Incidence-based Project for Stroke Evaluation
Department of Applied Statistics and Economics Libero Lenti, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Neurol Sci 26:72-80. 2005
..The aim of this study is to estimate stroke's direct costs and productivity losses in Italy from a societal perspective and to explain cost variability...
- Natural vectors of dirofilariasis in rural and urban areas of the Tuscan region, central Italy
Dipartimento di Scienze di Sanità Pubblica, Universita La Sapienza di Roma, Italy
J Med Entomol 43:574-9. 2006
..human-baited traps were carried out in summers 2000-2002 in urban and rural areas of the Tuscan region in central Italy. The aim of the study was to define the mosquito species involved in the transmission of Dirofilaria nematodes and ..
- Influence of biotic and abiotic factors on the distribution and abundance of Culicoides imicola and the Obsoletus Complex in Italy
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell Abruzzo e del Molise, Via Campo Boario, 64100, Teramo, Italy
Vet Parasitol 150:333-44. 2007
..Between 2000 and 2004 >38,000 light-trap collections were made for Culicoides across Italy including the islands of Sardinia and Sicily. Mapping of the 100 largest collections of C...
- Glucocerebrosidase gene mutations are associated with Parkinson's disease in southern Italy
Elvira V De Marco
Institute of Neurological Sciences, National Research Council, Mangone, Cosenza, Italy
Mov Disord 23:460-3. 2008
..To elucidate the role of this gene in our population, we screened 395 PD patients and 483 controls from southern Italy for the N370S and the L444P mutations. We found 11 patients (2...
- Tick infestation on roe deer in relation to geographic and remotely sensed climatic variables in a tick-borne encephalitis endemic area
Centre for Alpine Ecology, Viote del Monte Bondone, Trento, Italy
Epidemiol Infect 136:1416-24. 2008
..We used roe deer as sentinels for potential circulation of TBE virus in Northern Italy, by examining the association between tick infestation, occurrence of TBE human cases, geographical and climatic ..
- An economic evaluation of cetuximab combined with radiotherapy for patients with locally advanced head and neck cancer in Belgium, France, Italy, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom
IMS Health, London, UK
Value Health 11:791-9. 2008
- Melanoma epidemic across the millennium: time trends of cutaneous melanoma in Emilia-Romagna (Italy) from 1997 to 2004
Department of Dermatology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:213-8. 2008
..After a rapid increase in malignant melanoma (MM) incidence in the last decades, trends of the melanoma epidemic in the recent years seemed not homogeneous...
- Purity control of some Chinese crude herbal drugs marketed in Italy
Department of Human Physiology and Pharmacology, University La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3043-7. 2008
..In the present study, 10 Chinese crude herbal drugs marketed in Italy (Radix Ginseng, Radix Astragali, Rhizoma Coptidis, Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae, Radix Bupleuri, Radix ..
- Incidence and risk factors of hospitalization for bronchiolitis in preterm children: a retrospective longitudinal study in Italy
Agency for Public Health of Lazio Region, Scientific Direction Unit, Rome, Italy
BMC Pediatr 9:56. 2009
..e., a gestational age of <36 weeks) born between 2000 and 2006, and the use and impact of Palivizumab, a monoclonal antibody that in randomized clinical trials has been shown to lessen the severity of RSV-related bronchiolitis...
- Role of key-regulator genes in melanoma susceptibility and pathogenesis among patients from South Italy
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Sassari, Italy
BMC Cancer 9:352. 2009
..Several genetic alterations have been demonstrated to contribute to the development and progression of melanoma. In this study, we further investigated the impact of key-regulator genes in susceptibility and pathogenesis of such a disease...
- An integrated approach to assess air pollution threats to cultural heritage in a semi-confined environment: the case study of Michelozzo's Courtyard in Florence (Italy)
Department of Physics, Università degli Studi di Firenze and INFN, National Institute of Nuclear Physics, Sesto F no FI, Italy
Sci Total Environ 408:1403-13. 2010
..this work, where the monitoring campaign carried out at the Michelozzo's Courtyard (in Palazzo Vecchio, Florence, Italy) is used as a case study...
- Mitigation measures for pandemic influenza in Italy: an individual based model considering different scenarios
Marta Luisa Ciofi degli Atti
National Center for Epidemiology Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
PLoS ONE 3:e1790. 2008
..In the present study, we evaluated the diffusion of pandemic influenza in Italy and the impact of various control measures, coupling a global SEIR model for importation of cases with an ..
- The inter-regional distribution of HLA class II haplotypes indicates the suitability of the Sardinian population for case-control association studies in complex diseases
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Biotecnologie, Universita di Cagliari, Ospedale Microcitemico, Via Jenner, Cagliari 09121, Italy
Hum Mol Genet 9:2959-65. 2000
..These results indicate that robust case-control studies can be carried out in Sardinia offering cost efficiency over certain family-based designs...
- A new essential hypertension susceptibility locus on chromosome 2p24-p25, detected by genomewide search
Istituto di Genetica delle Popolazioni, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Alghero, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 71:893-905. 2002
..00006) were used, suggesting that a hypertension-susceptibility locus is located between D2S2278 and D2S168. This finding is strengthened by a recent report of linkage with marker D2S168 in a hypertensive sib-pair sample from China...
- Retrospective analysis of adverse drug reactions to bronchodilators observed in two pulmonary divisions of Catanzaro, Italy
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University Magna Graecia of Catanzaro, Italy
Pharmacol Res 47:493-9. 2003
..division of "Mater Domini" University Hospital and "Pugliese-Ciaccio" Hospital, both located in Catanzaro, Italy. Bronchodilators were responsible for 45 (18.5%) out of 243 episodes of ADRs...
- Prevalence and risk factors for gestational diabetes assessed by universal screening
Graziano Di Cianni
Section of Diabetes, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pisa and Diabetes and Metabolic Disease Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera Pisana, Ospedale Cisanello, Via Paradisa, 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 62:131-7. 2003
..After logistic regression analysis, GDM diagnosis was significantly correlated with age (P<0.0001), pre-pregnancy BMI (P<0.0001), weight gain (P<0.0001) and family history of diabetes (P<0.01)...
- Dental health in a group of drug addicts in Italy
I F Angelillo
Institute of Hygiene, Medical School, University of Reggio Calabria, Catanzaro, Italy
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:36-7. 1991
..health, and oral hygiene status were assessed in 124 drug addicts aged 18-34 yr in Mercato San Severino (Salerno), Italy. The years of drug addiction ranged from 1 to 15 yr...
- [Canine dirofilariasis in the canton of Ticino and in the neighboring areas of northern Italy.]
Dipartimento di Produzioni Animali, Epidemiologia ed Ecologia,
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 143:141-7. 2001
..of canine dirofilariosis in Southern Ticino (Switzerland) and in the neighbouring provinces of Varese and Como (Italy) was investigated...
- Suicide among the elderly: the long-term impact of a telephone support and assessment intervention in northern Italy
Diego De Leo
Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention, Mt Gravatt Campus, Griffith University, 4111 Queensland, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 181:226-9. 2002
..Previous short-term work reported fewer suicides among elderly users of a telephone helpline and emergency response service (the TeleHelp-TeleCheck Service)...
- Food medicine and minor nourishment in the folk traditions of Central Italy (Marche, Abruzzo and Latium)
Paolo Maria Guarrera
Museo Nazionale Arti e Tradizioni Popolari, Piazza Marconi 8 10, Roma 00144, Italy
Fitoterapia 74:515-44. 2003
A series of research projects on wild plants used in Central Italy (Marche, Latium and Abruzzo) as food medicine and for minor nourishment was carried out in the years 1979-2000...
- Tetracycline and streptomycin resistance genes, transposons, and plasmids in Salmonella enterica isolates from animals in Italy
Laboratory of Bacteriology and Medical Mycology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:903-8. 2004
Fifty-eight multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica strains of 20 serotypes, isolated from animal sources in Italy, were analyzed for tet(A) and strA-strB, conferring tetracycline and streptomycin resistance, respectively...
- Contribution of three components to individual cancer risk predicting breast cancer risk in Italy
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer Prev 13:183-91. 2004
We used data from a multicentre case-control study conducted in Italy between 1991 and 1994 on over 2500 cases of breast cancer and a comparable number of controls, and estimates of breast cancer incidence in Italy to compute individual ..
- Delayed presentation and late testing for HIV: demographic and behavioral risk factors in a multicenter study in Italy
Dipartimento di Epidemiologia, INMI Lazzaro Spallanzani, Roma, Italy
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:951-9. 2004
..with late HIV testing, we studied 968 patients at their first HIV care visit, enrolled in a multicenter study in Italy from 1997-2000. Patients completed a questionnaire on HIV-testing history, sexual behavior, and drug use behavior...
- MC1R, ASIP, and DNA repair in sporadic and familial melanoma in a Mediterranean population
Maria Teresa Landi
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, DHHS, Bethesda, MD 20892 7236, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:998-1007. 2005
..We examined MC1R and ASIP genotypes in relation to phenotypic characteristics, sporadic and familial melanoma risk, and melanoma thickness as an indicator of disease progression in a Mediterranean population...
- A novel Angiogenin gene mutation in a sporadic patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis from southern Italy
F L Conforti
Institute of Neurological Sciences, National Research Council, Mangone, Cosenza, Italy
Neuromuscul Disord 18:68-70. 2008
..In our study we investigated the role of ANG gene in ALS patients from southern Italy. We found a novel mutation in the signal peptide of the ANG gene in a sporadic patient with ALS (SALS)...
- First tuberculosis cases in Italy resistant to all tested drugs
G B Migliori
WHO Collaborating Centre for TB and Lung Diseases, Fondazione S Maugeri, Care and Research Institute, Tradate, Italy
Euro Surveill 12:E070517.1. 2007
- Imported malaria in adults and children: epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 380 consecutive cases observed in Verona, Italy
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
J Travel Med 15:229-36. 2008
Since the year 2000, in Italy, there has been a constant decrease in the number of cases of imported malaria in immigrants. Nevertheless, immigrants still account for about 70% of reported cases...
- Hospital-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (HA-MRSA) in Italy
Department of Microbiology, University of Catania, Italy
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 8:22. 2009
..trace the dynamic changes of hospital-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (HA-MRSA) lineages in Italy, comparing the genotypic backgrounds of contemporary isolates over a period of 17 years, with those of a sample of ..
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677 C-->T polymorphism and risk of proximal colon cancer in north Italy
Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Division of Experimental Oncology 1, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano PN, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 9:743-8. 2003
..The aim of the study was to investigate the role of MTHFR 677 C-->T gene polymorphism in the tumorigenesis of proximal and distal CLC in a monoinstitutional group of patients in North Italy.
- Prevalence and incidence of antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi and to tick-borne encephalitis virus in agricultural and forestry workers from Tuscany, Italy
Department of Occupational Medicine, Istituto Superiore per la Prevenzione e la Sicurezza del Lavoro, Via Fontana Candida 1, 00040, Monteporzio Catone Rome, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:457-63. 2005
..and (iii) to assess the occupational risk for agricultural and forestry activities in a defined area (Tuscany, Italy)...
- Phylogenetic analysis of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium genotypes associated with outbreaks or sporadic infections in Italy
Maria Grazia Bonora
Microbiology Section, Department of Pathology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Microb Drug Resist 13:171-7. 2007
..persons, n = 3; non-human sources, n = 10) over the period 1996-2004 in comparison with clones that have spread in Italy since 1993. Thirty six isolates were vancomycin-resistant and five were vancomycin-susceptible...
- Universal childhood immunisation against Streptococcus pneumoniae: the five-year experience of Liguria Region, Italy
Department of Health Sciences, San Martino Hospital, University of Genoa, Via A Pastore 1, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Vaccine 27:3459-62. 2009
..2%, 70.5% and 36.4%, respectively...
- High differentiation among eight villages in a secluded area of Sardinia revealed by genome-wide high density SNPs analysis
Istituto di Genetica delle Popolazioni, CNR, Alghero, Sassari, Italy
PLoS ONE 4:e4654. 2009
..We suggest that, in order to optimize the study design of complex traits, a thorough characterization of genetic features is useful to identify the presence of sub-populations and stratification within genetic isolates...