Genomes and Genes
Summary: The interference in synthesis of an enzyme due to the elevated level of an effector substance, usually a metabolite, whose presence would cause depression of the gene responsible for enzyme synthesis.
- Saxild H, Andersen L, Hammer K. Dra-nupC-pdp operon of Bacillus subtilis: nucleotide sequence, induction by deoxyribonucleosides, and transcriptional regulation by the deoR-encoded DeoR repressor protein. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:424-34 pubmed..The upstream gene most likely encodes the regulator for the dra-nupC-pdp operon and was designated deoR (stands for deoxyribonucleoside regulator). ..
- Brückner R, Titgemeyer F. Carbon catabolite repression in bacteria: choice of the carbon source and autoregulatory limitation of sugar utilization. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002;209:141-8 pubmed..Therefore, catabolic/metabolic balance would perhaps better describe the physiological role of this regulatory network than the term catabolite repression. ..
- Tuckermann J, Reichardt H, Arribas R, Richter K, Schutz G, Angel P. The DNA binding-independent function of the glucocorticoid receptor mediates repression of AP-1-dependent genes in skin. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:1365-70 pubmed..Thus, these data suggest that the DNA binding-independent function of the GR is dispensable for repression of AP-1 activity in vivo and responsible for the antitumor promoting activity of GCs. ..
- Bingham P. Cosuppression comes to the animals. Cell. 1997;90:385-7 pubmed
- Wallace B, Pittard J. Regulator gene controlling enzymes concerned in tyrosine biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1969;97:1234-41 pubmed..The mutation responsible for this derepression has been mapped and the gene, which is not closely linked to aroF and tyrA, has been designated tyrR. ..
- Wang K, Liu F, Zhou L, Ding S, Long B, Liu C, et al. miR-874 regulates myocardial necrosis by targeting caspase-8. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e709 pubmed publisher..Our present study reveals a novel myocardial necrotic regulating model, which is composed of Foxo3a, miR-874 and caspase-8. Modulation of their levels may provide a new approach for tackling myocardial necrosis. ..
- Kera Y, Katoh Y, Ohta M, Matsumoto M, Takano Yamamoto T, Igarashi K. Methionine adenosyltransferase II-dependent histone H3K9 methylation at the COX-2 gene locus. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:13592-601 pubmed publisher..We discuss both gene-specific and epigenome-wide functions of MATII?. ..
- Clark D. Regulation of fatty acid degradation in Escherichia coli: analysis by operon fusion. J Bacteriol. 1981;148:521-6 pubmed..Imidazole was found to counteract the glucose repression of the fadA operon as recently demonstrated for the ara operon. ..
- Kruger S, Gertz S, Hecker M. Transcriptional analysis of bglPH expression in Bacillus subtilis: evidence for two distinct pathways mediating carbon catabolite repression. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:2637-44 pubmed..Evidence that the antitermination protein LicT is a crucial element for this type of regulation is provided. ..
- Lee E, Kalantari P, Tsutsui Section S, Klatt A, Holden J, Correll P, et al. RON receptor tyrosine kinase, a negative regulator of inflammation, inhibits HIV-1 transcription in monocytes/macrophages and is decreased in brain tissue from patients with AIDS. J Immunol. 2004;173:6864-72 pubmed..Furthermore, HIV-1 infection would compromise the ability of RON to protect against inflammation and consequent CNS damage. ..
- Plumbridge J, Cochet O, Souza J, Altamirano M, Calcagno M, Badet B. Coordinated regulation of amino sugar-synthesizing and -degrading enzymes in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:4951-6 pubmed
- Thompson C, Tetley L, Cheng W. The influence of polymer architecture on the protective effect of novel comb shaped amphiphilic poly(allylamine) against in vitro enzymatic degradation of insulin--towards oral insulin delivery. Int J Pharm. 2010;383:216-27 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that a combination of polymers might be required to enhance protection against all three proteolytic enzymes for efficacious oral delivery of insulin. ..
- Shen L, Li L, She H, Yue S, Li C, Luo Z. Inhibition of pulmonary surfactants synthesis during N-methyl-D-aspartate-induced lung injury. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2010;107:751-7 pubmed publisher..Our results provided important clues for treatment of glutamate lung injury by modulating pulmonary surfactants system. ..
- Huang H, Bihaqi S, Cui L, Zawia N. In vitro Pb exposure disturbs the balance between A? production and elimination: the role of A?PP and neprilysin. Neurotoxicology. 2011;32:300-6 pubmed publisher..These actions of Pb were specific and were not observed when substituted by another metal. These results suggest that Pb causes both the overexpression of A?PP and repression of NEP resulting in the buildup of A?. ..
- Lamb H, Dodds A, Swatman D, Cairns E, Hawkins A. Deletion of the N-terminal region of the AREA protein is correlated with a derepressed phenotype with respect to nitrogen metabolite repression. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:6649-56 pubmed..Revised sequences of the 5' region of the areA gene and the entire meaB gene are reported. ..
- Bhathena A, Lee C, Riddick D. Suppression of cytochrome P450 2C11 by aromatic hydrocarbons: mechanistic insights from studies of the 5'-flanking region of the CYP2C11 gene. Drug Metab Dispos. 2002;30:1385-92 pubmed..These studies imply that AHs down-regulate CYP2C11 by a negative transcriptional mechanism that is not simply due to AHR binding to an identified DRE-like sequence and that is distinct from that used by inflammatory cytokines. ..
- Porter L, Kong Beltran M, Donoghue D. Spy1 interacts with p27Kip1 to allow G1/S progression. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3664-74 pubmed..Our data suggest that Spy1 associates with p27 to promote cell cycle progression through the G1/S transition. ..
- Helfert C, Gotsche S, Dahl M. Cleavage of trehalose-phosphate in Bacillus subtilis is catalysed by a phospho-alpha-(1-1)-glucosidase encoded by the treA gene. Mol Microbiol. 1995;16:111-120 pubmed..The 5' flanking region of treA contains an open reading frame which was partially sequenced, whose product shows about 40% identity to sucrose Enzyme II of the phosphotransferase transport system from several organisms. ..
- Grandori R, Lavoie T, Pflumm M, Tian G, Niersbach H, Maas W, et al. The DNA-binding domain of the hexameric arginine repressor. J Mol Biol. 1995;254:150-62 pubmed
- Silvestre M, Viollet B, Caton P, Leclerc J, Sakakibara I, Foretz M, et al. The AMPK-SIRT signaling network regulates glucose tolerance under calorie restriction conditions. Life Sci. 2014;100:55-60 pubmed publisher..5-fold vs. control, *p<0.05). This study demonstrates that skeletal muscle-specific AMPK deficiency impairs the beneficial effects of CR on glucose tolerance and that these effects may be dependent on reduced SIRT1 levels. ..
- Epstein W. Transposition of the lac region of Escherichia coli. IV. Escape from repression in bacteriophage-carried lac genes. J Mol Biol. 1967;30:529-43 pubmed
- Brown K, Somerville R. Repression of aromatic amino acid biosynthesis in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1971;108:386-99 pubmed..DAHP synthetase (trp) and tryptophan synthetase were repressed by tryptophan and have previously been shown to be under the control of the trpR regulatory gene. These enzymes also were unaffected by tyrR. ..
- Wang W, Wang W, Azadzoi K, Dai P, Wang Q, Sun J, et al. Alu RNA accumulation in hyperglycemia augments oxidative stress and impairs eNOS and SOD2 expression in endothelial cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;426:91-100 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a novel regulatory mechanism that involves endogenous dsRNA in endothelial oxidative stress and dysfunction. ..
- Pierard A, Glansdorff N, Yashphe J. Mutations affecting uridine monophosphate pyrophosphorylase or the argR gene in Escherichia coli. Effects on carbamoyl phosphate and pyrimidine biosynthesis and on uracil uptake. Mol Gen Genet. 1972;118:235-45 pubmed
- Bredeston L, Marciano D, Albanesi D, de Mendoza D, Delfino J. Thermal regulation of membrane lipid fluidity by a two-component system in Bacillus subtilis. Biochem Mol Biol Educ. 2011;39:362-6 pubmed publisher..Measurements of ?-galactosidase activity allow them to investigate how the Des pathway works and to assess the role of each component of this regulatory system. ..
- Yang Z, Wang J, Liu X, Cheng Y, Deng L, Zhong Y. Y-39983 downregulates RhoA/Rho-associated kinase expression during its promotion of axonal regeneration. Oncol Rep. 2013;29:1140-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Y-39983 downregulated the expression of active-RhoA, ROCK1 and ROCK2 during its promotion of axonal regeneration. ..
- Aversa A, Fittipaldi S, Bimonte V, Wannenes F, Papa V, Francomano D, et al. Tadalafil modulates aromatase activity and androgen receptor expression in a human osteoblastic cell in vitro model. J Endocrinol Invest. 2016;39:199-205 pubmed publisher..These findings might represent the first evidence of translational actions of PDE5i on AR, which leads to hypothesize a growing relevance of this molecule in men with prostate cancer long-term treated with TAD for sexual rehabilitation. ..
- Lavergne J, Jault J, Galinier A. Insights into the functioning of Bacillus subtilis HPr kinase/phosphatase: affinity for its protein substrates and role of cations and phosphate. Biochemistry. 2002;41:6218-25 pubmed..An apparent competition between phosphate and a fluorescent analogue of nucleotide led to the suggestion that phosphate mediates its effect by binding directly to the ATP-binding site of the enzyme. ..
- Denis H, Van Grembergen O, Delatte B, Dedeurwaerder S, Putmans P, Calonne E, et al. MicroRNAs regulate KDM5 histone demethylases in breast cancer cells. Mol Biosyst. 2016;12:404-13 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings suggest that miRNAs may regulate KDM5 histone demethylase levels in breast cancer and thereby control breast cancer cell proliferation and migration. ..
- Wood J, Russo A. Autoregulation of cell-specific MAP kinase control of the tryptophan hydroxylase promoter. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:21262-71 pubmed..These data suggest a model for the autoregulation of serotonin biosynthesis by repression of MAP kinase stimulation of the TPH promoter. ..
- Kim E, Jin H, Kim Y, Lee H, Lee S, Lee K, et al. Suppression by a sesquiterpene lactone from Carpesium divaricatum of inducible nitric oxide synthase by inhibiting nuclear factor-kappaB activation. Biochem Pharmacol. 2001;61:903-10 pubmed..Taken together, the results suggest that the ability of C-1 to inhibit iNOS gene expression may be responsible, in part, for its anti-inflammatory effects. ..
- Pateman J. Regulation of synthesis of glutamate dehydrogenase and glutamine synthetase in micro-organisms. Biochem J. 1969;115:769-75 pubmed
- Hilton J, Kearney P, Ames B. Mode of action of the herbicide, 3-amino-1,2,4-triazole(amitrole): inhibition of an enzyme of histidine biosynthesis. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1965;112:544-7 pubmed
- Gendron N, Putzer H, Grunberg Manago M. Expression of both Bacillus subtilis threonyl-tRNA synthetase genes is autogenously regulated. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:486-94 pubmed..thrZ, the second threonyl-tRNA synthetase gene, is also autogenously regulated. However, the ability of the ThrS synthetase to repress thrS as well as thrZ expression is much greater than that of the ThrZ synthetase. ..
- Holtman C, Thurlkill R, Pettigrew D. Unexpected presence of defective glpR alleles in various strains of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:1459-61 pubmed..Analysis of the effects on growth and enzyme expression show that glucose repression of glycerol utilization is not dependent on a functional repressor. ..
- Guidi Rontani C, Danchin A, Ullmann A. Isolation and characterization of an Escherichia coli mutant affected in the regulation of adenylate cyclase. J Bacteriol. 1981;148:753-61 pubmed
- Maccheroni Jùnior W, Martinez Rossi N, Rossi A. Does gene palB regulate the transcription or the post-translational modification of Pi-repressible phosphatases of Aspergillus nidulans?. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1995;28:31-8 pubmed..These results are compatible with the post-translational modifications in the Pi-repressible phosphatases rather than with the action of gene palB in controlling the transcription of structural genes of these enzymes. ..
- Steinhilber D, Brungs M, Werz O, Wiesenberg I, Danielsson C, Kahlen J, et al. The nuclear receptor for melatonin represses 5-lipoxygenase gene expression in human B lymphocytes. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:7037-40 pubmed..This indicates that 5-lipoxygenase is the first natural RZR alpha responding gene. Furthermore, our results open up a new perspective in understanding the involvement of melatonin in inflammatory and immunological reactions. ..
- Leu J, Chen L, Lin Y, Kou G, Lo C. Molecular mechanism of the interactions between white spot syndrome virus anti-apoptosis protein AAP-1 (WSSV449) and shrimp effector caspase. Dev Comp Immunol. 2010;34:1068-74 pubmed publisher..Asp233, on the other hand, negatively regulates AAP-1's anti-Pm caspase activity. Lastly, AAP-1 homotypically interacts with each other both in vitro and in insect cells...
- Cho I, Ki S, Brooks C, Kim S. Role of hepatitis B virus X repression of C/EBPbeta activity in the down-regulation of glutathione S-transferase A2 gene: implications in other phase II detoxifying enzyme expression. Xenobiotica. 2009;39:182-92 pubmed publisher..5. These results demonstrate that HBx inhibits the induction of phase II detoxifying enzymes, which is mediated by its interaction with C/EBPbeta, but not Nrf2, substantiating the specific role of HBx in phase II detoxifying capacity. ..
- Cho S, Lee M, Kim M, Lee S, Kim Y, Lee D, et al. Infrared plus visible light and heat from natural sunlight participate in the expression of MMPs and type I procollagen as well as infiltration of inflammatory cell in human skin in vivo. J Dermatol Sci. 2008;50:123-33 pubmed publisher..IR/visible light and heat of natural sunlight, in addition to UV, play a role in modulating the expressions of MMPs and procollagen, and inflammatory cell infiltration in human skin. ..
- Wang Y, Leung L. Pharmacological concentration of resveratrol suppresses aromatase in JEG-3 cells. Toxicol Lett. 2007;173:175-80 pubmed..The present study illustrated the possibility that dietary supplementation of resveratrol interfered with the normal functioning of placental cells. ..
- Jeong H, Kim J, Choi C, You H, Hahm K. Suppression of CYP1A1 expression by 4-nonylphenol in murine Hepa-1c1c7 cells. Cancer Lett. 2001;165:95-101 pubmed..These results suggest that the down-regulation of CYP1A1 gene expression by NP in Hepa-1c1c7 cells might be an antagonism of the DRE-binding potential of the nuclear Ah receptor, but is not mediated through the estradiol receptor. ..
- Ye X, Lu L, Gill S. Suppression of cytochrome P450 Cyp2f2 mRNA levels in mice by the peroxisome proliferator diethylhexylphthalate. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;239:660-5 pubmed..A smaller Cyp2f2 mRNA transcript was also detected in kidney and these transcript levels were also suppressed but to a lesser extent than that in the liver. The response to DEHP in mouse liver is both dose and time dependent. ..
- Poggio S, Domeinzain C, Osorio A, Camarena L. The nitrogen assimilation control (Nac) protein represses asnC and asnA transcription in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002;206:151-6 pubmed..These results allow us to conclude that asnA transcription is regulated by two different mechanisms that respond to different effectors: nitrogen and asparagine availability. ..
- Randez Gil F, Herrero P, Sanz P, Prieto J, Moreno F. Hexokinase PII has a double cytosolic-nuclear localisation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 1998;425:475-8 pubmed
- Neigeborn L, Rubin K, Carlson M. Suppressors of SNF2 mutations restore invertase derepression and cause temperature-sensitive lethality in yeast. Genetics. 1986;112:741-53 pubmed..These findings suggest that the roles of the SNF2, SNF5 and SNF6 genes in regulation of SUC2 are functionally related and that SSN20 plays a role in expression of a variety of yeast genes. ..
- Marzocco S, Piacente S, Pizza C, Oleszek W, Stochmal A, Pinto A, et al. Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression by yuccaol C from Yucca schidigera roezl. Life Sci. 2004;75:1491-501 pubmed..These results indicated that the empirical use of Y. schidigera as anti-inflammatory remedy could be addressed not only to the resveratrol content but also to the presence of yuccaol C. ..
- Freedberg W, Lin E. Three kinds of controls affecting the expression of the glp regulon in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1973;115:816-23 pubmed..This trend is not influenced by the addition of cyclic adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate to the growth medium. Thus, respiratory repression most likely involves a third mechanism of control, independent of specific or catabolite repression. ..
- Piot C, Martini J, Bui S, Wolfe C. Ischemic preconditioning attenuates ischemia/reperfusion-induced activation of caspases and subsequent cleavage of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in rat hearts in vivo. Cardiovasc Res. 1999;44:536-42 pubmed
- Pegg A, Goodtzova K, Loktionova N, Kanugula S, Pauly G, Moschel R. Inactivation of human O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase by modified oligodeoxyribonucleotides containing O(6)-benzylguanine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2001;296:958-65 pubmed..These results suggest that oligodeoxyribonucleotides such as 11-mpBG may prove to be useful drugs for potentiation of alkylating agent chemotherapy if uptake can be improved. ..
- Cooper T, Lam C, Turoscy V. Structural analysis of the dur loci in S. cerevisiae: two domains of a single multifunctional gene. Genetics. 1980;94:555-80 pubmed..We interpret these data as suggesting that the two dur loci might in reality be domains of a single gene that codes for a multifunctional polypeptide. In view of this conclusion, we have renamed the dur loci as the dur1,2 locus. ..
- Vecera R, Zachařová A, Orolin J, Strojil J, Skottová N, Anzenbacher P. Fenofibrate-induced decrease of expression of CYP2C11 and CYP2C6 in rat. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 2011;32:482-7 pubmed publisher..This type of drug interaction has been observed previously and the results presented here could contribute to the explanation of their mechanism. ..
- Marasco R, Muscariello L, Varcamonti M, De Felice M, Sacco M. Expression of the bglH gene of Lactobacillus plantarum is controlled by carbon catabolite repression. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:3400-4 pubmed..In vitro and in vivo DNA binding experiments suggested the occurrence of a DNA-protein complex at the CRE site, which would mediate glucose repression of bglH expression...
- Yoshida Y, Komatsu M, Ozeki A, Nango R, Tsukamoto I. Ethanol represses thymidylate synthase and thymidine kinase at mRNA level in regenerating rat liver after partial hepatectomy. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1336:180-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that ethanol inhibits DNA synthesis by the repression of mRNA levels of dTMP-synthesizing enzymes during liver regeneration. ..
- Aida K, Negishi M. A trans-acting locus regulates transcriptional repression of the female-specific steroid 15 alpha-hydroxylase gene in male mice. J Mol Endocrinol. 1993;11:213-22 pubmed
- Wray L, Ferson A, Rohrer K, Fisher S. TnrA, a transcription factor required for global nitrogen regulation in Bacillus subtilis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:8841-5 pubmed..The phenotype of the tnrA mutant indicates that a global nitrogen regulatory system is present in B. subtilis and that this system is distinct from the Ntr regulatory system found in enteric bacteria. ..
- Jordan E, Worley T, Breen G. Transcriptional regulation of the nuclear gene encoding the alpha-subunit of the mammalian mitochondrial F1F0 ATP synthase complex: role for the orphan nuclear receptor, COUP-TFII/ARP-1. Biochemistry. 2003;42:2656-63 pubmed..Thus, the ATPA gene is regulated by a multifunctional binding site through which the transcription factors, COUP-TFII/ARP-1 and USF2, bind and exert their antagonistic effects. ..
- Learned R. Light suppresses 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol. 1996;110:645-55 pubmed
- Celis T, Rosenfeld H, Maas W. Mutant of Escherichia coli K-12 defective in the transport of basic amino acids. J Bacteriol. 1973;116:619-26 pubmed..A mutant was studied in which the uptake of arginine, ornithine, and lysine is reduced. The mutation was found to affect both the common and the specific transport systems. ..
- Gopee N, Sharma R. Sphingoid bases and their phosphates: transient activation and delayed repression of protein kinase C isoforms and their possible involvement in fumonisin B1 cytotoxicity. Toxicology. 2003;187:239-50 pubmed..These findings suggest that the direct or indirect modulation of PKC by these sphingolipids is involved at least in part in the action of fumonisin B(1). ..