para aortic bodies
Summary: Small masses of chromaffin cells found near the SYMPATHETIC GANGLIA along the ABDOMINAL AORTA, beginning cranial to the superior mesenteric artery (MESENTERIC ARTERY, SUPERIOR) or renal arteries and extending to the level of the aortic bifurcation or just beyond. They are also called the organs of Zuckerkandl and sometimes called aortic bodies (not to be confused with AORTIC BODIES in the THORAX). The para-aortic bodies are the dominant source of CATECHOLAMINES in the FETUS and normally regress after BIRTH.
- Dossett L, Rudzinski E, Blevins L, Chambers E. Malignant pheochromocytoma of the organ of Zuckerkandl requiring aortic and vena caval reconstruction. Endocr Pract. 2007;13:493-7 pubmed
- Loher F, Bauer C, Landauer N, Schmall K, Siegmund B, Lehr H, et al. The interleukin-1 beta-converting enzyme inhibitor pralnacasan reduces dextran sulfate sodium-induced murine colitis and T helper 1 T-cell activation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004;308:583-90 pubmed..In conclusion, pralnacasan is effective in the prevention of dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis. This effect is probably mediated by suppression of the proinflammatory cytokines IL-18, IL-1beta, and IFN-gamma. ..
- Yamaguchi K, Chijiiwa K, Torato N, Kinoshita M, Tanaka M. Ki-ras codon 12 point and P53 mutations: a molecular examination of the main tumor, liver, portal vein, peripheral arterial blood and para-aortic lymph node in pancreatic cancer. Am J Gastroenterol. 2000;95:1939-45 pubmed..A molecular examination of Ki-ras codon 12 and p53 mutations therefore enables us to predict, to some degree, the occurrence of liver and lymph node metastasis in pancreatic carcinoma. ..
- Monkhouse W. The effect of in vivo hydrocortisone administration on the labelling index and size of chromaffin tissue in the postnatal and adult mouse. J Anat. 1986;144:133-44 pubmed..The results are discussed and related to those of other workers. It is suggested that factors as yet unknown might modulate the response to corticosteroids of developing intra- and extra-adrenal chromaffin tissue. ..
- Shirasu T, Ishibashi H, Hirose M, Ohta S, Takagi M, Arai K. [Experience of complete Carney's triad showing pulmonary hamartoma associated with gastrointestinal stromal tumor and para-arotic paraganglioma]. Kyobu Geka. 2007;60:1051-4 pubmed..The tumor was revealed to be a pulmonary hamartoma, and diagnosed as Carney's triad. This is a rare case of complete type Carney's triad of an adult male...
- Heller P, Maletano J, Bundy B, Barnhill D, Okagaki T. Clinical-pathologic study of stage IIB, III, and IVA carcinoma of the cervix: extended diagnostic evaluation for paraaortic node metastasis--a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol. 1990;38:425-30 pubmed..Until new noninvasive testing methods are developed, LAG appears to be the most reliable noninvasive examination to evaluate spread of cervical cancer to aortic nodes. ..
- Espejo E, Gonzalez Albo M, Moraes J, El Banoua F, Flores J, Caraballo I. Functional regeneration in a rat Parkinson's model after intrastriatal grafts of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor and transforming growth factor beta1-expressing extra-adrenal chromaffin cells of the Zuckerkandl's organ. J Neurosci. 2001;21:9888-95 pubmed..This work should stimulate research on the clinical applicability of transplants of the Zuckerkandl's organ in Parkinson's disease. ..
- Kontogeorgos G, Scheithauer B, Kovacs K, Horvath E, Melmed S. Growth factors and cytokines in paragangliomas and pheochromocytomas, with special reference to sustentacular cells. Endocr Pathol. 2002;13:197-206 pubmed..The significance of these observations regarding paracrine activities of chief and sustentacular cells remains to be determined. ..
- Di Re F, Baiocchi G, Fontanelli R, Grosso G, Cobellis L, Raspagliesi F, et al. Systematic pelvic and paraaortic lymphadenectomy for advanced ovarian cancer: prognostic significance of node metastases. Gynecol Oncol. 1996;62:360-5 pubmed..05). Likewise, when suboptimal cytoreduction was considered, a median 5-year survival of 24 months was obtained in patients who underwent lymphadenectomy compared with 14 months in patients who did not (P < 0.005). ..
- Mouroux J, Venissac N, Leo F, Alifano M, Guillot F. Surgical treatment of diaphragmatic eventration using video-assisted thoracic surgery: a prospective study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:308-12 pubmed..This study seeks to evaluate results regarding the repair of diaphragmatic eventration using video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS)...
- Thapar P, Dalvi A, Kamble R, Vijaykumar V, Shah N, Menon P. Laparoscopic transmesocolic excision of paraganglioma in the organ of Zuckerkandl. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2006;16:620-2 pubmed..5 x 5 cm) in the organ of Zuckerkandl during an antenatal visit. After medical termination of the pregnancy, successful laparoscopic excision of the paraganglioma was performed...
- Saygili U, Guclu S, Uslu T, Erten O, Ture S, Demir N. Does systematic lymphadenectomy have a benefit on survival of suboptimally debulked patients with stage III ovarian carcinoma? A DEGOG* Study. J Surg Oncol. 2002;81:132-7 pubmed..005). Lymphadenectomy seems not to have an evident prognostic value and a benefit on survival in suboptimally debulked patients with stage III ovarian carcinoma. ..
- Mason M, Featherstone T, Olliff J, Horwich A. Inguinal and iliac lymph node involvement in germ cell tumours of the testis: implications for radiological investigation and for therapy. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 1991;3:147-50 pubmed..These factors should also influence the extent of the radiation field or of surgical dissection when these modalities are employed. ..
- Kravarusic D, Pinto Rojas A, Al Assiri A, Sigalet D. Laparoscopic resection of extra-adrenal pheochromocytoma--case report and review of the literature in pediatric patients. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:1780-4 pubmed..Proper patient preparation and monitoring are critical for success. ..
- Wikström L, Rokaeus A, Fried G. Perinatal development of galanin-like immunoreactivity in chromaffin tissues of the rabbit. Regul Pept. 1993;44:297-303 pubmed..The high content of GAL-LI in the PGGL at birth may reflect an enhanced synthesis associated with birth...
- Blythe J, Edwards E, Heimbecker P. Paraaortic lymph node biopsy: a twenty-year study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997;176:1157-62; discussion 1162-5 pubmed..We believe that paraaortic lymph node biopsies should be part of the routine evaluation of patients with gynecologic cancers. The knowledge gained by this procedure along with appropriately administered radiation therapy can save lives. ..
- Uzan C, Vincens E, Balleyguier C, Gouy S, Pautier P, Duvillard P, et al. Outcome of patients with incomplete resection after surgery for stage IB2/II cervical carcinoma with chemoradiation therapy. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010;20:379-84 pubmed publisher..The prognosis is poor when resection is incomplete after chemoradiation therapy in advanced-stage cervical cancer, and further surgery does not seem to improve this outcome. ..
- Yamaguchi T, Tada M, Takahashi H, Kagawa R, Takeda R, Sakata S, et al. An incidentally discovered small and asymptomatic para-aortic paraganglioma. Eur Surg Res. 2008;40:14-8 pubmed..Under these findings, the diagnosis of para-aortic paraganglioma was determined. Seven years after the operation, she remains asymptomatic and free of disease...
- Chetty R, Pillay P, Jaichand V. Cytokeratin expression in adrenal phaeochromocytomas and extra-adrenal paragangliomas. J Clin Pathol. 1998;51:477-8 pubmed
- Minegishi N, Ohta J, Yamagiwa H, Suzuki N, Kawauchi S, Zhou Y, et al. The mouse GATA-2 gene is expressed in the para-aortic splanchnopleura and aorta-gonads and mesonephros region. Blood. 1999;93:4196-207 pubmed..These experiments describe an early developmental GATA-2 hematopoietic enhancer located between 6.0 and 2.5 kbp 5' to the IS exon...
- Boughanim M, Leboulleux S, Rey A, Pham C, Zafrani Y, Duvillard P, et al. Histologic results of para-aortic lymphadenectomy in patients treated for stage IB2/II cervical cancer with negative [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography scans in the para-aortic area. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:2558-61 pubmed publisher..PET/CT imaging without histologic examination of the para-aortic area used to determine radiation therapy fields in stage IB2/II cervical cancer would overlook 8% of patients with histologic para-aortic nodal involvement. ..
- Subramanian A, Maker V. Organs of Zuckerkandl: their surgical significance and a review of a century of literature. Am J Surg. 2006;192:224-34 pubmed..Treatment is always surgical excision. Phase II trials are in order for neoadjuvant and adjuvant treatment options. ..
- Mhanna T, Pianta E, Bernard P, Hervieu V, Partensky C. Preaortic paraganglioma mimicking a hypervascular tumor of the pancreas. Hepatogastroenterology. 2004;51:1198-201 pubmed..We present a case of a secreting preaortic paraganglioma in a young patient which was mimicking a hypervascular tumor of the pancreas, and that was completely resected 5 years after the failure of a first attempt to remove the tumor. ..
- Stevenson S, Ramani V, Nasim A. Extra-adrenal pheochromocytoma: an unusual cause of deep vein thrombosis. J Vasc Surg. 2005;42:570-2 pubmed..This led to a diagnosis of extra-adrenal pheochromocytoma. We discuss the management of patients presenting with DVT, the nature of pheochromocytoma within the organ of Zuckerkandl, and problems relating to its diagnosis. ..
- Vergote I, Amant F, Berteloot P, Van Gramberen M. Laparoscopic lower para-aortic staging lymphadenectomy in stage IB2, II, and III cervical cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2002;12:22-6 pubmed..Laparoscopic para-aortic staging in cervical carcinoma is feasible with low morbidity. Eighteen percent of the patients, without suspicion of para-aortic metastases on CT, proved to have metastases in the lower para-aortic region. ..
- Guo J, Gong L, Chen S, Luo B, Xu M. Malignant pheochromocytoma: diagnosis and treatment in fifteen cases. J Hypertens. 1989;7:261-6 pubmed..Because MP is a tumour with a low degree of malignancy, noting the above three factors and using 131I-MIBG to obtain accurate diagnosis and effective treatment enables a better prognosis of this disease. ..
- Kim Y, Barbuto D, Lagasse L, Karlan B. Successful treatment of neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma of the cervix metastatic to regional lymph nodes. Gynecol Oncol. 1996;62:411-4 pubmed..A patient with neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma of the cervix metastatic to regional lymph nodes who is free of disease 92 months after multimodality treatment with radiation, surgery, and chemotherapy is described in this paper. ..
- Kumaki N, Kajiwara H, Kameyama K, DeLellis R, Asa S, Osamura R, et al. Prediction of malignant behavior of pheochromocytomas and paragangliomas using immunohistochemical techniques. Endocr Pathol. 2002;13:149-56 pubmed..Our results suggest that MIB-1 immunostaining is a useful adjunct marker to predict malignant behavior in these tumors. ..
- Gannan E, van Veenendaal P, Scarlett A, Ng M. Retroperitoneal non-functioning paraganglioma: A difficult tumour to diagnose and treat. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2015;17:133-5 pubmed publisher..Serum catecholamine levels were normal. Complete resection of the tumour was performed. The histological examination and immunohistochemical analyses concluded the diagnosis of an organ of Zuckerkandl paraganglioma. ..
- Galan Rodriguez B, Del Marco A, Flores J, Ramiro Fuentes S, Gonzalez Aparicio R, Tunez I, et al. Grafts of extra-adrenal chromaffin cells as aggregates show better survival rate and regenerative effects on parkinsonian rats than dispersed cell grafts. Neurobiol Dis. 2008;29:529-42 pubmed publisher..Finally, nigral degeneration and partial degeneration of ventral tegmental area were not precluded after transplantation, indicating that the trophic effect of grafts was local within the host striatum...
- Saurborn D, Kruskal J, Stillman I, Parangi S. Best cases from the AFIP: paraganglioma of the organs of Zuckerkandl. Radiographics. 2003;23:1279-86 pubmed
- Kodama H, Iihara M, Nissato S, Isobe K, Kawakami Y, Okamoto T, et al. A large deletion in the succinate dehydrogenase B gene (SDHB) in a Japanese patient with abdominal paraganglioma and concomitant metastasis. Endocr J. 2010;57:351-6 pubmed..Our present findings strongly support the notion that large deletions in the SDHB gene should be considered in patients lacking characterized SDHB mutations...