Genomes and Genes
Summary: A condition that is characterized by chronic fatty DIARRHEA, a result of abnormal DIGESTION and/or INTESTINAL ABSORPTION of FATS.
Publications189 found, 100 shown here
- [Intestinal lymphoid nodular hyperplasia in a patient with acquired dysgammaglobulinemia, chronic diarrhea, and bacterial overgrowth syndrome]B Castañeda-Romero
Departamento de Gastroenterologia, Instituto Nacional de la Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico, DF
Rev Gastroenterol Mex 58:225-8. 1993..We described the clinical out come of a young man with diarrhea, steatorrhea and history of upper respiratory tract infections in whom INLH was established by clinical, radiological, ..
- [Chronic pancreatitis. Main symptoms: chronic abdominal pain, weight loss in steatorrhea, secondary diabetes mellitus]G Schulthess
Medizinische Poliklinik, Universitatsspital Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:1139-45. 2005
- Does pancreatic elastase-1 in stools predict steatorrhea in type 1 diabetes?Franco Cavalot
Diabetes Unit, Department of ClinicalBiological Sciences, University of Turin, San Luigi Gonzaga Hospital, 10043 Orbassano, Turin, Italy
Diabetes Care 29:719-21. 2006
- An enteric-coated high-buffered pancrelipase reduces steatorrhea in patients with cystic fibrosis: a prospective, randomized studyMary Sue Brady
Indiana University School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5119, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 106:1181-6. 2006Enteric-coated (EC) high-buffered (2.5 mEq [2.5 mmol] bicarbonate per capsule) pancrelipase microsphere enzymes were compared to EC-nonbuffered pancreatic enzymes for efficacy in reducing steatorrhea in patients with cystic fibrosis.
- Increased postprandial responses of GLP-1 and GIP in patients with chronic pancreatitis and steatorrhea following pancreatic enzyme substitutionFilip K Knop
Dept of Internal medicine F, Gentofte Hospital, Univ of Copenhagen, Niels Andersens Vej 65, DK 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E324-30. 2007..These results suggest that the secretion of GLP-1 and GIP is under influence of the digestion and absorption of nutrients in the small intestine and that PES increases insulin secretion...
- The effects of oral pancreatic enzymes (Creon 10 capsule) on steatorrhea: a multicenter, placebo-controlled, parallel group trial in subjects with chronic pancreatitisMichael Safdi
Greater Cincinnati Gastroenterology Associates, Cincinnati, OH 45219, USA
Pancreas 33:156-62. 2006..The primary objective of this study was to compare the effect of Creon 10 with placebo in the control of steatorrhea in chronic pancreatitis patients...
- Lipoprotein lipase mutation S447X associated with pancreatic calcification and steatorrhea in hyperlipidemic pancreatitisYu Ting Chang
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:591-6. 2009..The factors that whether and how genes involving lipid metabolism including lipoprotein lipase (LPL) and apolipoprotein CII (apo CII) influence occurrence of acute attack of pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis is not clear...
- Cystic fibrosis presenting as diabetes insipidus unresponsive to desmopressinS Vande Velde
Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 70:300-1. 2007..This case report shows how a diagnosis can be delayed when you are mislead by atypical symptoms. It shows the importance of looking in napkins and argues for the inclusion of CF in the differential diagnosis of polyuria in infants...
- Unresponsive or non-compliant steatorrhea in cystic fibrosis?Aleksandra Lisowska
Department of Gastroenterology and Metabolism, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Szpitalna 27 33, 60 572 Poznan, Poland
J Cyst Fibros 5:253-5. 2006In 105 pancreatic insufficient CF patients (steatorrhea and low fecal elastase-1 concentrations), the effectiveness of pancreatic enzyme therapy (PET) has been assessed (fecal fat losses and coefficient of fat reabsorption)...
- [Pathophysiological significance of steatorrhea as well as of hydroxystearic acids in the feces of calves with diarrhea]K Doll
Klinik für Wiederkäuer und Schweine Innere Medizin und Chirurgie, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 111:22-8. 2004....
- Effect of triglyceride structure on fecal excretion of 13C-labeled triglyceridesSally A Schuette
BioChemAnalysis Corp, 2201 W Campbell Park Drive, Chicago, IL 60612 3501, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 22:511-8. 2003....
- Chronic high-fat diet affects intestinal fat absorption and postprandial triglyceride levels in the mouseValerie Petit
Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Biologie Appliquée à la Nutrition et à l Alimentation, 5170 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 1214 Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
J Lipid Res 48:278-87. 2007..These data demonstrate that a chronic high-fat diet greatly affects intestinal physiology and body lipid use in the mouse...
- Clinical application of 13C-Hiolein breath test in assessing pancreatic exocrine insufficiencyDa Yu Sun
Department of Gastroenterology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai 200040, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2:449-52. 2003..To examine the feasibility and significance of 13C-Hiolein breath test in evaluating chronic pancreatitis-related exocrine insufficiency and efficacy of enzyme treatment...
- The effect of zinc supplements in cystic fibrosis patientsS Van Biervliet
Pediatric Department, UZ Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
Ann Nutr Metab 52:152-6. 2008..To study the effect of Zn supplements in cystic fibrosis (CF) on disease evolution...
- Quality of life assessment after pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy in chronic pancreatitisLaszlo Czako
First Department of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest
Can J Gastroenterol 17:597-603. 2003..To evaluate the quality of life (QoL) of patients with chronic pancreatitis before and after pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy in a prospective, multicentre, follow-up study...
- Dysprosium chloride as a nonabsorbable gastrointestinal marker for studies of stable isotope-labeled triglyceride excretion in manSally A Schuette
BioChemAnalysis Corp, Chicago, IL 60612 3501, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 22:379-87. 2003....
- Omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor, improves residual steatorrhoea in cystic fibrosis patients treated with high dose pancreatic enzymesMarijke Proesmans
Department of Paediatrics, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 162:760-3. 2003..5-16.5 g/day) to 5.5 g (quartiles 4.9-8.1 g/day) (P<0.01). The same improvement was noted when fat absorption was calculated: 87% (quartiles 81-89%) without versus 94% (quartiles 90-96%) with omeprazole (P<0.001)...
- Pancreatic enzyme therapy for pancreatic exocrine insufficiencyJ Enrique Domínguez-Muñoz
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital of Santiago de Compostela, C Choupana, S N, E 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 9:116-22. 2007Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency with steatorrhea is a major consequence of pancreatic diseases (eg, chronic pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis, severe acute necrotizing pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer), extrapancreatic diseases such as ..
- [Diffuse primary fat replacement of the pancreas: an unusual cause of steatorrhea]Alain Aubert
Service de Gastroenterologie, Hopital Saint Louis, 75010 Paris
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 31:303-6. 2007..We report two adult patients with chronic diarrhoea and steatorrhea whose morphologic abnormalities revealed diffuse fat replacement of the pancreas...
- Fat malabsorption screening in chronic pancreatitisVincent Dumasy
Department of Endocrinology, Erasmus Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1350-4. 2004....
- Long-term clinical outcome after endoscopic pancreatic ductal drainage for patients with painful chronic pancreatitisMyriam Delhaye
Medicosurgical Department of Gastroenterology, Erasme University Hospital, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:1096-106. 2004..The authors evaluated long-term clinical outcome after endoscopic pancreatic ductal drainage, focusing on pain and pancreatic endocrine/exocrine functions...
- Early decline of pancreatic function in cystic fibrosis patients with class 1 or 2 CFTR mutationsJaroslaw Walkowiak
Institute of Pediatrics, Department of Gastroenterology and Metabolism, Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Sciences, 60 572 Poznan, Poland
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:199-201. 2005Most cystic fibrosis (CF) patients develop steatorrhea and require pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy...
- Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency in HIV-positive patientsD A Price
Department of Infectious Diseases, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
HIV Med 6:33-6. 2005..We describe the management of a cohort of eight HIV-positive patients on antiretroviral medication with evidence of pancreatic insufficiency consisting of chronic diarrhoea and a low faecal elastase measurement...
- Comparing the urinary pancreolauryl ratio and faecal elastase-1 as indicators of pancreatic insufficiency in clinical practiceD A Elphick
Department of Gastroenterology, Barnsley District General Hospital, Barnsley, UK
Pancreatology 5:196-200. 2005..Both tests have previously been validated against 'gold standard' tests of pancreatic function, but their use in a clinical setting has never been directly compared...
- Faecal elastase-I: helpful in analysing steatorrhoea?T Symersky
Department of Gastroenterology Hepatology C4 P, Leiden University Medical Centre, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 62:286-9. 2004..However, little information is available on the specificity of this test in the analysis of steatorrhoea. Our aim was to evaluate the clinical value of FE-1 in the analysis of patients sent in for faecal fat determination...
- Chronic diarrheaPeggy D Headstrom
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:734-7. 2005
- Faecal pancreatic elastase--1 a non invasive measure of exocrine pancreatic functionS D Amanquah
Department of Chemical Pathology, University of Ghana Medical School, Accra, Ghana
West Afr J Med 23:240-4. 2004..Pancreatic elastase-1, is released into blood circulation during inflammation of the pancreas, but unlike most pancreatic enzymes it is stable during intestinal passage and not degraded...
- Conjugated bile acid replacement therapy in short bowel syndrome patients with a residual colonC Kapral
Department of Medicine, Konventhospital of Barmherzige Brüder, Linz, Austria
Z Gastroenterol 42:583-9. 2004....
- Does the pancreas really produce much more lipase than required for fat digestion?Frederic Carriere
Laboratory of Enzymology at Interfaces and Physiology of Lipolysis, CNRS UPR 9025 IBSM, Marseille, France
JOP 6:206-15. 2005..not exist between the amounts of human pancreatic lipase secreted in chronic pancreatitis and the degree of steatorrhea, which was considered to appear only after more than 90% of the pancreatic secretory capacity had been lost...
- Phenotypic and genetic characterization of patients with features of "nonclassic" forms of cystic fibrosisJoshua D Groman
Cyctic Fibrosis Foundation Genotyping Center and McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 733 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Pediatr 146:675-80. 2005....
- Congenital short pancreasJuan Du
Department of Gastroenterology, First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou 310003, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:259-62. 2007
- Surgical treatment for serous cystadenoma of pancreas--segmental pancreatectomy or conventional resection?Cheng Hsi Su
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatogastroenterology 51:595-8. 2004..e. distal pancreatectomy or pancreaticoduodencetomy in patients with serous cystadenoma of the pancreas...
- A proposed model for the assembly of chylomicronsM M Hussain
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, MCP Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, PA 19129, USA
Atherosclerosis 148:1-15. 2000..CM retention disease, an inherited recessive disorder, is characterized by chronic diarrhea with steatorrhea in infancy, abdominal distention and failure to thrive...
- The deconjugation ability of bacteria isolated from the jejunal fluids in the blind loop syndrome with high 14CO2 excretion--using the breath analysis technique and thin-layer chromatographyK Shindo
First Department of Internal Medicine, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Japan
Life Sci 45:2275-83. 1989..to levels below the critical micellar concentration by several factors, fat malabsorption and subsequent steatorrhea were induced (1,-4). Furthermore, H. Fromm and A. F...
- Reappraisal of a method of reconstruction after pancreatoduodenectomyN J Lygidakis
Department of Surgical Oncology, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece
Hepatogastroenterology 52:1077-82. 2005..The present study is designed to substantiate the claims of various advantages of this method of PD and reconstruction and to explain the rationale behind this method...
- The thyroid and the gutEllen C Ebert
Department of Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:402-6. 2010..Transit time from mouth to cecum is accelerated, resulting in diarrhea. Steatorrhea is due to hyperphagia and stimulation of the adrenergic system...
- Management of gastrointestinal disorders in children with HIV infectionAlfredo Guarino
Department of Pediatrics, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Paediatr Drugs 6:347-62. 2004..The digestive-absorptive functions are impaired, with steatorrhea, nutrient malabsorption, and increased permeability occurring in 20-70% of children...
- CREON (Pancrelipase Delayed-Release Capsules) for the treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiencyRobert J Kuhn
Division of Pharmacy, Practice and Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0596, USA
Adv Ther 27:895-916. 2010..The symptoms include maldigestion, malnutrition, weight loss, flatulence, and steatorrhea. Pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy (PERT) is the standard treatment for EPI; it is regulated in many ..
- Tropical sprue in expatriates from the tropics living in the continental United StatesF A Klipstein
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, New York
Medicine (Baltimore) 48:475-91. 1969..dose of folic acid; 27 of 28 tested had malabsorption of vitamin B12; and 23 of 27 persons tested had steatorrhea. Jejunal morphology was abnormal in 34 of 35 subjects biopsied prior to treatment; villi were completely absent ..
- Benign intracranial hypertension in an older child with cystic fibrosisV Lucidi
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital Bambino Gesu, Rome, Italy
Pediatr Neurol 9:494-5. 1993..Laboratory investigations indicated pathologic steatorrhea, elevated electrolytes in 3 sweat tests, and low serum levels of vitamins A and E...
- Epidemiology, clinical features and diagnosis of gastroenteropancreatic endocrine tumoursP Tomassetti
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University ol Bologna, Italy
Ann Oncol 12:S95-9. 2001..the 'somatostatinoma syndrome' involves gallbladder dysfunction and gallstones, diarrhoea with or without steatorrhea, and impaired glucose tolerance...
- Targeted deletion of the ileal bile acid transporter eliminates enterohepatic cycling of bile acids in micePaul A Dawson
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Biol Chem 278:33920-7. 2003..acid malabsorption, mutations in the ileal bile acid transporter gene (Slc10a2) lead to congenital diarrhea, steatorrhea, and reduced plasma cholesterol levels...
- [Effectiveness and complications of bariatric surgery in the treatment of morbid obesity]J Ocón Bretón
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Unidad de Nutrición, Hospital Clinico Universitario Lozano Blesa, Zaragoza, Espana
Nutr Hosp 20:409-14. 2005..The aim of this work has been to analyze the anthropometrical, nutritional, digestive and cardiovascular risk factors changes and quality of life in patients with morbid obesity submitted to bariatric surgery...
- A missense mutation in FIC1 is associated with greenland familial cholestasisL W Klomp
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hepatology 32:1337-41. 2000..Patients present with jaundice, pruritus, bleeding episodes, and steatorrhea, and die in childhood due to end-stage liver disease...
- Long-term outcome after resection for chronic pancreatitis in 224 patientsHartwig Riediger
Department of Surgery, University of Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, 79106, Freiburg, Germany
J Gastrointest Surg 11:949-59; discussion 959-60. 2007....
- Pancreatin therapy in patients with insulin-treated diabetes mellitus and exocrine pancreatic insufficiency according to low fecal elastase 1 concentrations. Results of a prospective multi-centre trialNils Ewald
Third Medical Department and Policlinic, Giessen University Hospital, Giessen, Germany
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 23:386-91. 2007..Patients with fecal elastase 1 concentration (FEC) <100 microg/g have also been demonstrated to suffer from steatorrhea in about 60% of cases, indicating the need of pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy...
- Conjugated bile acid replacement therapy reduces urinary oxalate excretion in short bowel syndromeMichael Emmett
Department of Internal Medicine, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 41:230-7. 2003Patients with short bowel syndrome (SBS) have steatorrhea, in part because of bile acid malabsorption that causes decreased bile acid secretion into the duodenum and consequent fat maldigestion...
- Hereditary pancreatitis: clinical features and inheritance characteristics of the R122C mutation in the cationic trypsinogen gene (PRSS1) in six Spanish familiesGonzalo de las Heras-Castaño
Hepato Gastroenterology Unit, Marqués de Valdecilla Universitary Hospital, Santander, Spain
JOP 10:249-55. 2009..Hereditary pancreatitis is an autosomal dominant disease which is caused by mutations in the PRSS1 gene...
- Improvement of acromegaly after octreotide LAR treatmentRuth Mangupli
Endocrinology and Metabolism Service, Caracas University Hospital, Caracas, Capital District, Venezuela
Pituitary 6:29-34. 2003..005). The drug was well tolerated with few adverse effects Diarrhea, flatulence and steatorrhea were observed during the administration of subcutaneous octreotide in 18.2% of patients...
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with Roux-Y anastomosis in reconstructing the digestive tract: report of 26 patientsYou Gang Ma
Department of Second Biliary Surgery, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Shanghai 200438, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 1:611-3. 2002..To explore the way to lower the morbidity and mortality of patients after pancreaticoduodenectomy...
- Brain white-matter lesions in celiac disease: a prospective study of 75 diet-treated patientsM Kieslich
Department of Pediatrics, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Pediatrics 108:E21. 2001..The gastrointestinal manifestation suggests a severe enteropathy of the small intestine with malabsorption, steatorrhea, and weight loss because of a deranged mucosal immune response...
- Chronic pancreatitis in primary hyperparathyroidism: comparison with alcoholic and idiopathic chronic pancreatitisSanjay K Bhadada
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:959-64. 2008..There is also no data comparing the clinical profile of chronic pancreatitis secondary to primary hyperparathyroidism with that of alcohol related and idiopathic chronic pancreatitis...
- [Steatorrhea and its treatment with pancreatic enzymes in endocrine tumors of the pancreas (pancreatic adenomas)]M J Varas
Hospital Cruz Roja, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 78:27-30. 1990We report the treatment of steatorrhea with pancreatic enzymes in four pancreatic endocrine tumors treated in our hospital. All four patients were males, with a mean age of 50 +/- 4.6, a basal steatorrhea of 10.8 +/- 3...
- Pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy in post-pancreatectomy patientsM Braga
Department of Surgery, Scientific Institute H S Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Int J Pancreatol 5:37-44. 1989..05). At the hospital checkup, the D-xylose test was normal in all patients and steatorrhea had decreased from a mean of 32.8 g/d without enzyme supplementation to 16...
- Findings on endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and pancreatic function test in suspected chronic pancreatitis and negative cross-sectional imagingMansour A Parsi
Center for Endoscopy and Pancreatobiliary Disorders, Digestive Disease Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:1432-6. 2008....
- Blind loop syndrome after biliopancreatic diversion: a diagnostic challengeH Fabry
Department of Surgery, Academic Surgical Center Stuivenberg, Antwerp, Belgium
Obes Surg 11:643-5. 2001..Malabsorption of fat and starch is one of the main goals of the BPD. Ingestion of an excess of fat leads to steatorrhea. As a side-effect, malabsorption of iron, calcium and other elements can occur causing anemia and hypocalcemia...
- Non-stented pancreaticogastrostomy for 111 patients undergoing pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomyYi Ming Shyr
Department of Surgery, Veterans General Hospital Taipei, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatogastroenterology 52:253-7. 2005....
- Rickets and dysmorphic findings in a child with abetalipoproteinemiaMohammed Y Hasosah
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, King Abdul Aziz Medical City, National Guard Hospital, PO Box 8202, Jeddah 21482, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 31:1169-71. 2010Abetalipoproteinemia (ABL) is characterized by acanthocytosis, hypocholesterolemia, and steatorrhea. Here, we describe a case of ABL associated with rickets and dysmorphic findings and the subsequent therapeutic course in an 18-month-old ..
- Prolonged enteral feeding is often required to avoid long-term nutritional and metabolic complications after esophagogastric dissociationChrystele Madre
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris Diderot, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris, France
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 50:280-6. 2010..Although the long-term results in terms of GERD control have been previously reported, those regarding the nutritional and metabolic status have never been documented...
- Phenotypic expression of familial hypobetalipoproteinemia in three kindreds with mutations of apolipoprotein B geneP Tarugi
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Via Campi 287, I 41100 Modena, Italy
J Lipid Res 42:1552-61. 2001..15 not detectable in plasma. They showed steatorrhea and fatty liver. In N.L...
- Molecular diagnosis of cystic fibrosis in Indian patients--a preliminary reportT F Ashavaid
Research Laboratories, PD Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Veer Savarkar Marg, Mahim, Mumbai 400 016, India
J Assoc Physicians India 51:345-8. 2003....
- [Small intestine bacterial overgrowth]E L Leung Ki
Service de gastro entérologie et d hépatologie, CHUV
Rev Med Suisse 6:186-8, 190-1. 2010..It typically presents with diarrhea, flatulence and a syndrome of malabsorption (steatorrhea, macrocytic anemia). However, it may be asymptomatic in the eldery...
- [Absorption of medium chain triglycerides in patients with blind loop syndrome]R A Pereira Filho
Departamento de Clinica Medica, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP
Arq Gastroenterol 25:75-81. 1988..Six patients had steatorrhea due to gastrojejunal anastomosis and 4 due to diabetic neuropathy...
- Now that fecal elastase is available in the United States, should clinicians start using it?Paul G Lankisch
Clinic of Internal Medicine, Municipal Clinic of Lueneburg, Boegelstrasse 1, D 21339 Lueneburg, Germany
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 6:126-31. 2004..exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or chronic pancreatitis and differentiating pancreatic from nonpancreatic steatorrhea or diarrhea--cannot be solved by pancreatic elastase-1 determination...
- Pancreatoduodenal surgery in patients with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1: Operative outcomes, long-term function, and quality of lifeY Nancy You
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Metabolism, and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Surgery 142:829-36; discussion 836.e1. 2007..Potential oncologic benefits of PD resection must be weighed against operative morbidities, compromised pancreatic function, and quality of life (QOL)...
- [D-lactic acidosis in an 11-year-old patient with short bowel syndrome]P Soler Palacin
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas Pediátricas, Hospital Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
An Pediatr (Barc) 64:385-7. 2006..Symptoms include nutrient and electrolyte malabsorption, steatorrhea and diarrhea, which can result in failure to thrive...
- [Improvement of intestinal function in cystic fibrosis patients using probiotics]D Infante Pina
Unidad de Gastroenterologia, Hepatología y Soporte Nutricional, Hospital Materno Infantil Vall d Hebron, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Espana
An Pediatr (Barc) 69:501-5. 2008..The aim of our study is to determine the prevalence of bacterial overgrowth in cystic fibrosis patients and try to improve the intestinal function with the administration of probiotics...
- Alipase versus nonenteric-coated enzymes in pancreatic insufficiency. A french multicenter crossover comparative studyH Gouerou
Hopital du Morvan, Centre Hospitalier Regional, Brest, France
Int J Pancreatol 5:45-50. 1989..Pancreatic insufficiency was diagnosed in patients with signs of chronic pancreatitis who showed steatorrhea (fecal fat excretion greater than 8.0 g/24 h). The dosage of P was 9 capsules/d and that of E, 3 vials/d...
- EUR-1008 pancreatic enzyme replacement is safe and effective in patients with cystic fibrosis and pancreatic insufficiencyJamie L Wooldridge
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, ML 2021, 3333 Burnet Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
J Cyst Fibros 8:405-17. 2009..Unlike currently marketed PEPs, EUR-1008 contains the label-claimed lipase content. Safety and efficacy were assessed in younger (<7 years) and older (> or =7 years) CF patients with EPI...
- Loss of enteroendocrine cells in mice alters lipid absorption and glucose homeostasis and impairs postnatal survivalGeorg Mellitzer
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, INSERM U964, CNRS UMR 7104, Universite de Strasbourg, Illkirch, France
J Clin Invest 120:1708-21. 2010..Mutant mice were growth retarded and had yellowish stool suggestive of steatorrhea. Subsequent analyses revealed that Ngn3Deltaint mice had impaired lipid absorption, reduced weight gain, and ..
- Which method should we select for pancreatic anastomosis after pancreaticoduodenectomy?Ji Hun Kim
Department of Surgery, Ajou University School of Medicine, San 5, Wonchondong, Yeongtonggu, Suwon, 442 749, Korea
World J Surg 33:326-32. 2009..This study was designed to compare surgical, morphological, and functional outcomes of pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD) according to the types of pancreaticoenterostomy performed and to suggest a proper anastomotic method after PD...
- [Functional outcome and quality of life after pancreaticoduodenectomy]S Le Page
Service de Chirurgie Digestive, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon
J Chir (Paris) 145:32-6. 2008..The goal of this retrospective unicentric pilot study was to assess the the functional outcome after pancreaticoduodenectomy and its effect on the patient's quality of life...
- Tropical calcific pancreatitisG Choudhuri
Department of Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Ceylon Med J 53:4-6. 2008
- An unusual case of osteomalacia as the presenting feature of coeliac diseaseTaoufik Harzy
El Ayachi Hospital, Rabat Salé University Medical School, Sale, Morocco
Rheumatol Int 26:90-1. 2005
- Spontaneous exocrine pancreas hypoplasia in specific pathogen-free C3HeB/FeJ and 101/H mouse pups causes steatorrhea and runtingMichael T Cheeseman
Pathology Group, Mary Lyon Centre, Medical Research Council Harwell, Didcot, Oxfordshire, UK
Comp Med 57:210-6. 2007..3% to 1.8% of litters born in our inbred 101/H and C3HeB/FeJ mouse colonies had pups with steatorrhea and runting. Clinically affected male and female pups were first identified when they were from 14 to 25 d old...
- Metformin in the treatment of patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitisA Uygun
Department of Gastroenterology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19:537-44. 2004..Increased insulin resistance is the major pathogenic mechanism in the development of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis...
- [Clinical spectrum of celiac disease]S Daum
Medizinische Klinik I, Gastroenterologie, Rheumatologie und Infektiologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:S79-81. 2004
- Clinical quizHassan Abolghasemi
Department of Pediatrics, Baghiatallah General Hospital, Baghiatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:229, 243. 2005
- [Non-alcoholic liver steatorrhea secondary to clozapine]Caroline Bell
Can J Psychiatry 49:575-6. 2004
- Severe osteomalacia in a patient with idiopathic chronic pancreatitisN Kurtulmus
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Capa, Turkey
Scott Med J 50:172-3. 2005..She had a history from childhood of steatorrhea and abdominal pain after a fatty meal and became vegetarian at age five years...
- Surgical treatment of chronic pancreatitis in young patientsFeng Zhou
Pancreatic Disease Institute, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 430022, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 34:701-5. 2014..therapeutic ERCP intervention to surgical intervention, 2 patients developed diabetes, 5 patients developed steatorrhea, and 5 patients developed pancreatic type B pain...
- Diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic exocrine insufficiencyBjorn Lindkvist
Björn Lindkvist, Institute of Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, SE 413 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
World J Gastroenterol 19:7258-66. 2013..Failure in any of these steps may result in pancreatic exocrine insufficiency, which leads to steatorrhea, weight loss and malnutrition-related complications, such as osteoporosis...
- EUS-assisted rendezvous stenting of the pancreatic duct for chronic calcifying pancreatitis with multiple pseudocystsAdrian Saftoiu
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Craiova, Romania
Pancreatology 7:74-9. 2007..However, recent studies currently recommend the use of both techniques in complex cases...
- Application of a novel tool for diagnosing bile acid diarrhoeaJames A Covington
School of Engineering, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Sensors (Basel) 13:11899-912. 2013..We believe that this work may lead to a new tool to diagnose BAD, which is cheaper, quicker and easier that current methods. ..
- Digestive manifestations of parathyroid disordersBassam Abboud
Bassam Abboud, Ronald Daher, Department of General Surgery, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Saint Joseph University, Beirut 166830, Lebanon
World J Gastroenterol 17:4063-6. 2011..The main manifestation of hypoparathyroidism is steatorrhea due to a deficit in exocrine pancreas secretion...
- [Autoimmune pancreatitis associated with rheumatoid arthritis: successful combination therapy with steroids and methotrexate]M Mustak
Abteilung für Rheumatologie und Osteologie, Kaiser Franz Josef Spital Wien
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 136:1842-4. 2011MEDICAL HISTORY AND CLINICAL FINDINGS: A 70-year-old female patient suffered from steatorrhea and upper abdominal discomfort for 8 weeks combined with new onset of arthralgia in both hands...
- Serum zinc concentrations in cystic fibrosis patients aged above 4 years: a cross-sectional evaluationS Van Biervliet
Paediatric Department, Ghent University Hospital, UZ Ghent, De Pintelaan 185, Ghent 9000, Belgium
Biol Trace Elem Res 119:19-26. 2007..Assess the risk of zinc (Zn) deficiency in the older cystic fibrosis (CF) population...
- [Diagnostics and therapy of chronic pancreatitis]A Konig
Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg GmbH, Standort Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, 35043, Marburg, Germany
Internist (Berl) 49:695-707; quiz 708-9. 2008..Common symptoms of CP comprise abdominal pain radiating to the back, diarrhea, steatorrhea and the development of diabetes...
- Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN) and chronic pancreatitis: overlapping pathological entities? Two case reportsAthanasios Petrou
Department of Hepatobilary Surgery, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
JOP 12:50-4. 2011..often misdiagnosed as chronic pancreatitis because of symptoms of relapsing abdominal pain, pancreatitis, and steatorrhea and imaging findings of a dilated pancreatic duct of cystic lesions that are frequently confused with ..
- Somatostatinoma: collision with neurofibroma and ultrastructural featuresW Varikatt
Department of Anatomical Pathology, South Western Area Pathology Service, Sydney, Australia
Histol Histopathol 21:1171-80. 2006..Neither tumour was associated with the somatostatinoma syndrome comprising associated diabetes mellitis, steatorrhoea and cholelithiasis...
- Usefulness of a 13C-labeled mixed triglyceride breath test for assessing pancreatic exocrine function after pancreatic surgeryHiroyuki Nakamura
Department of Surgery, Division of Clinical Medical Science, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Surgery 145:168-75. 2009..We evaluated the usefulness of a (13)C-labeled mixed triglyceride breath test for assessing pancreatic exocrine function after pancreatic surgery...
- Effectiveness and tolerability of colesevelam hydrochloride for bile-acid malabsorption in patients with cancer: a retrospective chart review and patient questionnaireLinda Wedlake
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, The Royal Marsden Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Clin Ther 31:2549-58. 2009..Commercially available bile-acid sequestrants are not well tolerated by >80% of patients...
- [Fat absorption after total gastrectomy in rats submitted to Roux-en-Y or Rosanov-like double-transit technique]Gustavo Sevá-Pereira
Postgraduate Program in Surgery, FCM, UNICAMP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Cir Bras 21:380-4. 2006b>Steatorrhea is one of the most common complications in reconstruction after total gastrectomy...
- Sweat test in asthmatic children; a single center studyBahram Mirsaeid Ghazi
Department of Pediatrics, Bahrami Children Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 5:139-42. 2006..signs and symptoms among these 35 patients were: Cough (35/35), Dyspnea (7/35), Chronic Diarrhea (6/35), and steatorrhea (1/35). Failure to thrive was found in 31 of 35 patients...
- Non-stented pancreaticogastrostomy after pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomyYi Ming Shyr
Department of Surgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan, ROC
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi (Taipei) 65:254-9. 2002..Surgical risk of non-stented pancreaticogastrostomy was also assessed to clarify the importance of stenting in pancreatic anastomosis...
- The commercially available ELISA for pancreatic elastase 1 based on polyclonal antibodies does measure an as yet unknown antigen different from purified elastase 1. Binding studies and clinical use in patients with exocrine pancreatic insufficiencyP D Hardt
Third Medical Department and Policlinic, Giessen University Hospital, Giessen, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 41:903-6. 2003..assays but higher levels in ELISA 2, resulting in false normal results even in some patients with pancreatic steatorrhea. Since the reference range used in both assays has been established using ELISA 1, ELISA 2 must be re-evaluated ..
- Surgical management of chronic pancreatitis and the role of islet cell autotransplantationThomas S Helling
Department of Surgery, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri 64111, USA
Curr Surg 60:463-9. 2003Chronic pancreatitis is a disease characterized by disabling pain, inability to eat, steatorrhea, and eventual malnutrition. This often results in repeated hospitalizations and attempts to control symptoms with various analgesic regimens...
- Utilization of sialic acid as a coreceptor is required for reovirus-induced biliary diseaseErik S Barton
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Lamb Center for Pediatric Research, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1823-33. 2003..Strikingly, mice infected with T3SA+ but not T3SA- developed steatorrhea and bilirubinemia...
- Chronic pancreatitis in the elderly in JapanTerumi Kamisawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Pancreatology 4:223-7; discussion 227-8. 2004..In this study, we analyzed the clinical features of elderly Japanese patients with chronic pancreatitis and compared them with those of late-onset chronic pancreatitis patients in Western countries...
- Association between steatorrhea, growth, and immunologic status in children with perinatally acquired HIV infectionT A Sentongo
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Children s Memorial Medical Center, 2300 Children s Plaza No 65, Chicago, IL 60614
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 155:149-53. 2001To examine the prevalence of steatorrhea and exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and their association with growth and immune status variables in children with perinatally acquired human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
- Persistence of the intestinal defect in abetalipoproteinaemia after liver transplantationC P Braegger
Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 157:576-8. 1998..After this procedure her serum lipoprotein profile was corrected; however, fat malabsorption and steatorrhea persisted because the primary defect, a mutant microsomal triglyceride-transfer protein, remains expressed in ..
- PANCREATIC LIPASES AND COLIPASE IN LIPOLYSIS AND OBESITYMark Lowe; Fiscal Year: 2007..Because procolipase deficient newborns have steatorrhea independent of colipase-dependent pancreatic lipase (PTL), we will analyze neonatal pancreas and breast milk ..
- Molecular Control of Brown Adipose Cell Fate and Energy MetabolismShingo Kajimura; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, due to side effects including depression, oily bowel movements and steatorrhea, there is an urgent need for alternative approaches...
- GROWTH AND NUTRITION IN ALAGILLE SYNDROMEANDREW MULBERG; Fiscal Year: 1999..Most of these children have steatorrhea which could be a major contributory factor to secondary growth failure and failure to thrive...
- MPT INHIBITOR IND 50,820 IN FAMILIAL HYPERCHOLESTEROLEM*Marina Cuchel; Fiscal Year: 2009..All subjects tolerated the drug up to the maximal dose with little to no steatorrhea. Three of the six subjects had substantial increases in liver transaminases, but levels rapidly decreased ..
- Mechanism and Therapies for HAART Induced DiarrheaTibor Sipos; Fiscal Year: 2001..for the use of a bicarbonate-buffered and enteric-coated pancrelipase for the treatment of diarrhea and steatorrhea in HIV positive patients is to demonstrate that the HAART drugs interfere with any one of the key digestive ..
- PROTEIN DRUG DELIVERY BASED ON STABILIZED PROTEINALEXEY MARGOLIN; Fiscal Year: 2000..II, we will prepare a drug product prototype for the use in the treatment of pancreatic insufficiency, and steatorrhea in cystic fibrosis patients...
- NOVEL PROTEASE FORMULATION BASED ON CROSSLINKED CRYSTALSBhami Shenoy; Fiscal Year: 2004..and along with TheraCLEC-Lipase for use in the treatment of pancreatic insufficiency, azotorrhea and steatorrhea in cystic fibrosis and chronic pancreatitis patients...
- Accurate Noninvasive Test of Steatorrhea in InfantsMorteza Janghorbani; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term objectives of this proposed project are to develop a "Test Kit" for quantitative assessment of steatorrhea in infants without the need for control of dietary fat intake and quantitative collections of stools for ..
- SENSITIVE TEST OF GENERALIZED STEATORRHEAMorteza Janghorbani; Fiscal Year: 1999The current "gold-standard" for quantitative assessment of steatorrhea, 72-h stool fat, is universally recommended in evaluation of malabsorption but vastly under-utilized because it is tedious and difficult to perform...
- A HLA Mouse Model for Gluten Sensitivity and EnteropathyJoseph Murray; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology of Celiac Disease: A Population Based StudyJoseph A Murray; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will provide crucial data that will determine the need for early detection by screening and treatment of silent celiac disease, which may affect 1% of Americans. ..
- DIETARY OBESITYGeorge Bray; Fiscal Year: 2007..We now propose these well founded, important and exciting studies which will provide critical new insights into anatomical, physiological and molecular mechanisms by which high levels of dietary fat induce obesity. ..
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..
- Patient Oriented Research in Pediatric NutritionNancy Krebs; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Host-Microbial Control of Deoxycholate ProductonPaul Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 3: To cross the Slcl0a2 null allele into additional mouse strains as a first step toward cloning the genes responsible controlling deoxycholate production (colonization by the bai operon bacteria). ..