Genomes and Genes
Summary: A twisting in the intestine (INTESTINES) that can cause INTESTINAL OBSTRUCTION.
- Fraser J, Aguayo P, Sharp S, Ostlie D, St Peter S. The role of laparoscopy in the management of malrotation. J Surg Res. 2009;156:80-2 pubmed publisher..We encourage a low threshold for conversion to an open approach if there is any concern about volvulus/orientation. This may decrease morbidity for patients who are found at operation to have a low risk of recurrent volvulus. ..
- Rudloff U, Malhotra S. Volvulus of an appendiceal mucocele: report of a case. Surg Today. 2007;37:514-7 pubmed..The combination of a cystic, right lower quadrant mass, and clinical findings suggestive of acute appendicitis should alert the clinician to include volvulus of an appendiceal mucocele in the differential diagnosis...
- Sule A, Misauno M, Opaluwa A, Ojo E, Obekpa P. One stage procedure in the management of acute sigmoid volvulus without colonic lavage. Surgeon. 2007;5:268-70 pubmed..The mean hospital stay was 10.3 days. Our results suggest that resection of acute sigmoid volvulus and primary anastomosis after decompression alone can be carried out safely in reasonably fit patients. ..
- Oren D, Atamanalp S, Aydinli B, Yildirgan M, Basoglu M, Polat K, et al. An algorithm for the management of sigmoid colon volvulus and the safety of primary resection: experience with 827 cases. Dis Colon Rectum. 2007;50:489-97 pubmed..Nondefinitive procedures have high recurrence rates; thus, definitive surgical techniques must be preferred. ..
- Frisancho O. [Dolichomegacolon of the Andes and intestinal volvulus due to altitude]. Rev Gastroenterol Peru. 2008;28:248-57 pubmed..Other new therapeutic procedures such as percutaneous sigmoidpexy, laparoscopic sigmoidectomy and mesosigmoplasty are under review, and have precise indications. Wider series are needed to evaluate them better. ..
- Bawa D, Ikenna E, Ugwu B. Ileosigmoid knotting--a case for primary anastomosis. Niger J Med. 2008;17:115-7 pubmed..Resection of gangrenous/non-viable bowel followed by primary anastomoses is known to be a viable option for treatment of ileosigmoid knotting. We here report a case of ileosigmoid knot and examined the options for treatment...
- Altaf M, Werlin S, Sato T, Rudolph C, Sood M. Colonic volvulus in children with intestinal motility disorders. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2009;49:59-62 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should be vigilant and include volvulus in the differential diagnosis of the acute onset of abdominal distension and pain in patients with CIP and CIC. Delay in diagnosis can result in bowel ischemia and perforation. ..
- Liang J, Lai H, Lee P. Elective laparoscopically assisted sigmoidectomy for the sigmoid volvulus. Surg Endosc. 2006;20:1772-3 pubmed
- Palanivelu C, Rangarajan M, Shetty A, Jani K. Intestinal malrotation with midgut volvulus presenting as acute abdomen in children: value of diagnostic and therapeutic laparoscopy. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2007;17:490-2 pubmed..Normal rotation takes place around the superior mesenteric artery. Incomplete rotation and midgut volvulus is the commonest type of anomaly. Intestinal obstruction is the commonest presentation in symptomatic cases...
- Ferguson L, Higgs Z, Brown S, McCarter D, McKay C. Intestinal volvulus following laparoscopic surgery: a literature review and case report. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2008;18:405-10 pubmed publisher..The laparoscopic technique is being used in an increasing number of abdominal procedures. Intestinal volvulus is a rare complication of laparoscopic procedures, such as the laparoscopic cholecystectomy...
- Tsushimi T, Kurazumi H, Takemoto Y, Oka K, Inokuchi T, Seyama A, et al. Laparoscopic cecopexy for mobile cecum syndrome manifesting as cecal volvulus: report of a case. Surg Today. 2008;38:359-62 pubmed publisher..An unfixed intestine can be detected easily during laparoscopic surgery, which is minimally invasive and cosmetically, physically, and economically beneficial. Thus, we recommend laparoscopic cecopexy for mobile cecum syndrome. ..
- Wales L, Tysome J, Menon R, Habib N, Navarra G. Caecal volvulus following laparoscopy-assisted sigmoid colectomy for sigmoid volvulus. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2003;18:529-32 pubmed..DISCUSSION. Clinico-radiological features and the management of metachronous sigmoid and caecal volvulus are discussed. ..
- Osuka A, Ikegami R, Watanabe Y. Splenic flexure volvulus in a child with chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction syndrome. Pediatr Surg Int. 2006;22:833-5 pubmed..Postoperatively she made an uneventful recovery. Possible factors of pathogenesis and therapeutic measures are discussed. ..
- Consorti E, Liu T. Diagnosis and treatment of caecal volvulus. Postgrad Med J. 2005;81:772-6 pubmed..The objective of this review is to promote clinicians' awareness of this disease through patient case illustration, discussion of disease pathogenesis, clinical features, and management strategies. ..
- Losanoff J, Kjossev K. Mesenteric cystic lymphangioma: unusual cause of intra-abdominal catastrophe in an adult. Int J Clin Pract. 2005;59:986-7 pubmed..Even when asymptomatic and discovered incidentally, they must be treated surgically because of the potential to grow, invade vital structures and develop life-threatening complications...
- SantÃn Rivero J, NÃºÃ±ez GarcÃa E, Aguirre GarcÃa M, Hagerman Ruiz Galindo G, de la Vega GonzÃ¡lez F, Moctezuma Velasco C. [Intestinal volvulus. Case report and a literature review]. Cir Cir. 2015;83:522-6 pubmed publisher..Many surgical procedures have been described with a high rate of complications. Therefore, conservative surgical management (no intestinal resection) is recommended as the best treatment with the lowest morbidity and mortality rate. ..
- van der Naald N, Prins M, Otten K, Kumwenda D, Bleichrodt R. Novel Approach to Treat Uncomplicated Sigmoid Volvulus Combining Minimally Invasive Surgery with Enhanced Recovery, in a Rural Hospital in Zambia. World J Surg. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Acute sigmoid resection and primary anastomosis via a mini-laparotomy for uncomplicated sigmoid volvulus, without preoperative endoscopic decompression is a safe procedure with a low morbidity and mortality. ..
- Bomassi E, Rousselot J, Libermann S, Raymond Letron I, Etchepareborde S, Misbach C. Atrial cardiomyopathy in an adult Labrador retriever dog. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2017;159:594-599 pubmed publisher..The dog remained asymptomatic for 18 months but was then re-presented with a gastric dilatation volvulus and subsequently euthanized. Necropsy and histology of the heart yielded a diagnosis of atrial cardiomyopathy...
- Lagatie O, Batsa Debrah L, Debrah A, Stuyver L. Plasma-derived parasitic microRNAs have insufficient concentrations to be used as diagnostic biomarker for detection of Onchocerca volvulus infection or treatment monitoring using LNA-based RT-qPCR. Parasitol Res. 2017;116:1013-1022 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that parasitic miRNAs are not present in circulation at a sufficiently high level to be used as biomarker for O. volvulus infection or treatment monitoring using LNA-based RT-qPCR analysis. ..
- Alsharief A, Blackmore C, Schmit P. Small bowel obstruction due to ingestion of rubber balls. Pediatr Radiol. 2017;47:1539-1541 pubmed publisher..Foreign body ingestion is common in children, but this case demonstrates a unusual foreign object to be ingested as well as the US appearance of this particular foreign body. ..
- Lo Re G, Mantia F, Picone D, Salerno S, Vernuccio F, Midiri M. Small Bowel Perforations: What the Radiologist Needs to Know. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2016;37:23-30 pubmed publisher..In particular, the authors highlight the anatomic key notes and the different direct and indirect imaging signs of small bowel perforation. ..
- Asti E, Bonavina L, Lombardi M, Bandera F, Secchi F, Guazzi M. Reversibility of cardiopulmonary impairment after laparoscopic repair of large hiatal hernia. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2015;14:33-5 pubmed publisher..Cardiac magnetic resonance and the cardiopulmonary exercise test may help selecting patients for surgery. These preliminary findings led us to start a prospective study using this multimodality diagnostic approach. ..
- Ward E, Wang A, Thangarajah H, Lazar D, Bickler S, Fairbanks T, et al. Preemptive Ladd in congenital diaphragmatic hernia and Abdominal Wall defects does not reduce the risk of future volvulus. J Pediatr Surg. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Controversy exists whether routine preemptive Ladd procedure in this subgroup of asymptomatic patients is of value to reduce future volvulus...
- Alhassan A, Osei Atweneboana M, Kyeremeh K, Poole C, Li Z, Tettevi E, et al. Comparison of a new visual isothermal nucleic acid amplification test with PCR and skin snip analysis for diagnosis of onchocerciasis in humans. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2016;210:10-12 pubmed publisher..The robustness and simplicity of the assay indicates that it may be a useful field tool for surveillance in endemic countries. ..
- Mazeh H, Kaliner E, Udassin R. Three recurrent episodes of malrotation in an infant. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:E1-3 pubmed..We recommend abrasion of the parietal and visceral peritoneal surfaces when recurrence of malrotation occurs. ..