Genomes and Genes
lymph node excision
Summary: Surgical excision of one or more lymph nodes. Its most common use is in cancer surgery. (From Dorland, 28th ed, p966)
Publications300 found, 100 shown here
- Chemoradiotherapy after surgery compared with surgery alone for adenocarcinoma of the stomach or gastroesophageal junctionJ S Macdonald
St Vincent's Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York, USA
N Engl J Med 345:725-30. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Postoperative chemoradiotherapy should be considered for all patients at high risk for recurrence of adenocarcinoma of the stomach or gastroesophageal junction who have undergone curative resection...
- Surgical treatment of gastric cancer: 15-year follow-up results of the randomised nationwide Dutch D1D2 trialIlfet Songun
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Lancet Oncol 11:439-49. 2010..The aim of the study was to assess the effect of D2 compared with D1 surgery on disease recurrence and survival in patients treated with curative intent...
- Phase III trial comparing capecitabine plus cisplatin versus capecitabine plus cisplatin with concurrent capecitabine radiotherapy in completely resected gastric cancer with D2 lymph node dissection: the ARTIST trialJeeyun Lee
Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Irwon dong Kangnam gu, Seoul 135 710 Korea
J Clin Oncol 30:268-73. 2012..This trial was designed to compare postoperative treatment with capecitabine plus cisplatin (XP) versus XP plus radiotherapy with capecitabine (XP/XRT/XP)...
- Colon cancer survival is associated with increasing number of lymph nodes analyzed: a secondary survey of intergroup trial INT-0089T E Le Voyer
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2912-9. 2003..To determine the relationship, in patients with adenocarcinoma of the colon, between survival and the number of lymph nodes analyzed from surgical specimens...
- Gastric adenocarcinoma: review and considerations for future directionsBryan J Dicken
Department of Surgery, University of Alberta and Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Ann Surg 241:27-39. 2005..We provide the relevance of outcome data to surgical decision-making and discuss the application of gene-expression analysis to clinical practice...
- Advantages of totally laparoscopic distal gastrectomy over laparoscopically assisted distal gastrectomy for gastric cancerOsamu Ikeda
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, National Kyushu Cancer Center, Notame 3 1 1, Minami Ku, Fukuoka, 811 1395, Japan
Surg Endosc 23:2374-9. 2009..Although laparoscopically assisted distal gastrectomy (LADG) has several advantages over open distal gastrectomy, little has been reported about the safety and feasibility of totally laparoscopic distal gastrectomy (TLDG)...
- A prospective randomized study comparing open vs laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy in early gastric cancer: early resultsJ H Lee
Department of Surgery, Ewha Woman s University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Surg Endosc 19:168-73. 2005..We conducted a prospective randomized trial to compare laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy (LADG) including lymphadenectomy with open distal gastrectomy for the management of early gastric cancer (EGC)...
- A randomized comparison of sentinel-node biopsy with routine axillary dissection in breast cancerUmberto Veronesi
Division of Senology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
N Engl J Med 349:546-53. 2003..Although numerous studies have shown that the status of the sentinel node is an accurate predictor of the status of the axillary nodes in breast cancer, the efficacy and safety of sentinel-node biopsy require validation...
- A nomogram for predicting the likelihood of additional nodal metastases in breast cancer patients with a positive sentinel node biopsyKimberly J Van Zee
Departments of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 10:1140-51. 2003..Accurate estimates of the likelihood of additional disease in the axilla could assist greatly in decision-making regarding further treatment...
- Is the benefit of postmastectomy irradiation limited to patients with four or more positive nodes, as recommended in international consensus reports? A subgroup analysis of the DBCG 82 b&c randomized trialsMarie Overgaard
Department of Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Radiother Oncol 82:247-53. 2007..A subgroup analysis of the DBCG 82 b&c trials was performed to evaluate the loco-regional recurrence rate and survival in relation to number of positive nodes...
- Nodal dissection for patients with gastric cancer: a randomised controlled trialChew Wun Wu
Department of Surgery, Taipei Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Lancet Oncol 7:309-15. 2006..We aimed to do a single-institution randomised trial to compare D1 (ie, level 1) lymphadenectomy with that of D3 (ie, levels 1, 2, and 3) dissection for gastric cancer in terms of overall survival and disease-free survival...
- Patient survival after D1 and D2 resections for gastric cancer: long-term results of the MRC randomized surgical trial. Surgical Co-operative GroupA Cuschieri
University Department of Surgery, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Br J Cancer 79:1522-30. 1999..However, the possibility that D2 resection without pancreatico-splenectomy may be better than standard D1 resection cannot be dismissed by the results of this trial...
- Post-operative arm morbidity and quality of life. Results of the ALMANAC randomised trial comparing sentinel node biopsy with standard axillary treatment in the management of patients with early breast cancerAnne Fleissig
Cancer Research UK Psychosocial Oncology Group, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Falmer, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 95:279-93. 2006..001) and greater levels of anxiety (p < 0.01). In view of the benefits regarding arm functioning and quality of life, the data from this randomised study support the use of SNB in patients with clinically node negative breast cancer...
- Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast carcinoma: a metaanalysisTheodore Kim
Department of Medicine, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer 106:4-16. 2006..Lymphatic mapping with sentinel lymph node biopsy has the potential for reducing the morbidity associated with breast carcinoma staging. It has become a widely used technology despite limited data from controlled clinical trials...
- Is there a benefit of pretreatment laparoscopic transperitoneal surgical staging in patients with advanced cervical cancer?Simone Marnitz
Department of Radiooncology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Gynecol Oncol 99:536-44. 2005..The aim of this study is to describe the laparoscopic transperitoneal staging procedure in patients with cervical cancer and their oncologic outcome after primary chemoradiation...
- D2 lymphadenectomy alone or with para-aortic nodal dissection for gastric cancerMitsuru Sasako
Gastric Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
N Engl J Med 359:453-62. 2008..We conducted a randomized, controlled trial at 24 hospitals in Japan to compare D2 lymphadenectomy alone with D2 lymphadenectomy plus PAND in patients undergoing gastrectomy for curable gastric cancer...
- Sentinel-node biopsy or nodal observation in melanomaDonald L Morton
Department of Surgical Oncology, John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John s Health Center, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
N Engl J Med 355:1307-17. 2006..We evaluated the contribution of sentinel-node biopsy to outcomes in patients with newly diagnosed melanoma...
- The ratio between metastatic and examined lymph nodes (N ratio) is an independent prognostic factor in gastric cancer regardless of the type of lymphadenectomy: results from an Italian multicentric study in 1853 patientsAlberto Marchet
Clinica Chirurgica Generale 2, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Ann Surg 245:543-52. 2007....
- Risk factors for lymphedema after breast cancer treatmentSandra A Norman
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6021, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:2734-46. 2010..As cancer treatments evolve, it is important to reevaluate their effect on lymphedema risk in breast cancer survivors...
- American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline recommendations for sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast cancerGary H Lyman
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:7703-20. 2005..To develop a guideline for the use of sentinel node biopsy (SNB) in early stage breast cancer...
- Morbidity results from the NSABP B-32 trial comparing sentinel lymph node dissection versus axillary dissectionTakamaru Ashikaga
University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
J Surg Oncol 102:111-8. 2010....
- Meta-analysis of D1 versus D2 gastrectomy for gastric adenocarcinomaMuhammed Ashraf Memon
Department of Surgery, Ipswich Hospital, Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
Ann Surg 253:900-11. 2011..To conduct a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials evaluating the efficacy and drawbacks of limited (D1) versus extended lymphadenectomy (D2) for proven gastric adenocarcinoma...
- Current management and future strategies of gastric cancerJoong Ho Lee
Department of Surgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 50 Yonsei ro, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 53:248-57. 2012....
- Pulmonary sclerosing hemangioma presenting with dense spindle stroma cells: a potential diagnostic pitfallXu Yong Lin
Department of Pathology, The First Affiliated Hospital and College of Basic Medical Sciences, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Diagn Pathol 7:174. 2012....
- Extended lymph node dissection for gastric cancer: who may benefit? Final results of the randomized Dutch gastric cancer group trialH H Hartgrink
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Centre, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 22:2069-77. 2004..We have reviewed the results of our trial after follow-up of more than 10 years...
- Breast cancer related lymphedema in patients with different loco-regional treatmentsBeyza Ozcinar
Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical Faculty, General Surgery Department, Istanbul, Turkey
Breast 21:361-5. 2012..Aim of this prospective observational study was to determine the rate of mid-term and late time period lymphedema in breast cancer patients with different loco-regional treatments, and factors associated with lymphedema...
- Combined axillary reverse mapping (ARM) technique for breast cancer patients requiring axillary dissectionClaude Nos
Department of Gynecologic and Oncologic Surgery, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, 12 Rue Leblanc, 75015, Paris, France
Ann Surg Oncol 15:2550-5. 2008..The objective of axillary reverse mapping (ARM) is to preserve the main lymphatic chain-with both the nodes and the ducts-in relation to lymphatic arm drainage (LAD) during an axillary dissection (AD)...
- Laparoscopic assisted distal gastrectomy for early gastric cancer: is it an alternative to the open approach?Danny Yakoub
Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, Imperial College London, St Mary s Hospital, London, UK
Surg Oncol 18:322-33. 2009..This study aims to compare short term outcomes and oncological value of laparoscopy assisted (LADG) and open distal gastrectomy (ODG) in the treatment of early gastric cancer...
- Pattern of lymph node metastases of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma based on the anatomical lymphatic drainage systemY Tachimori
Esophageal Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Dis Esophagus 24:33-8. 2011....
- Safety and feasibility of laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy with suprapancreatic nodal dissection for clinical stage I gastric cancer: a multicenter phase II trial (JCOG 0703)Hitoshi Katai
National Cancer Center Hospital, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, Japan
Gastric Cancer 13:238-44. 2010..We conducted a multi-institutional phase II trial to evaluate the safety of LADG with nodal dissection for clinical stage I gastric cancer patients...
- Number of metastatic lymph nodes, but not lymph node ratio, is an independent prognostic factor after resection of pancreatic carcinomaYoshiaki Murakami
Department of Surgery, Division of Clinical Medical Science, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
J Am Coll Surg 211:196-204. 2010..This study evaluated the prognostic significance of the number of metastatic lymph nodes and the ratio of metastatic nodes to total number of examined lymph nodes (lymph node ratio, LNR) after resection of pancreatic carcinoma...
- Laparoscopic versus open distal gastrectomy for locally advanced gastric cancer: a case-control studyMarco Scatizzi
General Surgery Unit, Ospedale Misericordia e Dolce, Piazza dell Ospedale, Prato, PO, Italy
Updates Surg 63:17-23. 2011....
- The effect of spleen-preserving lymphadenectomy on surgical outcomes of locally advanced proximal gastric cancerSung Jin Oh
Department of Surgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, South Korea
J Surg Oncol 99:275-80. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of D2 lymphadenectomy with spleen preservation on surgical outcomes in locally advanced proximal gastric cancer...
- Surgery and postoperative radiotherapy versus surgery alone for patients with stage-1 endometrial carcinoma: multicentre randomised trial. PORTEC Study Group. Post Operative Radiation Therapy in Endometrial CarcinomaC L Creutzberg
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Rotterdam Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, The Netherlands
Lancet 355:1404-11. 2000..We did a multicentre prospective randomised trial to find whether postoperative pelvic radiotherapy improves locoregional control and survival for patients with stage-1 endometrial carcinoma...
- Radical vaginal trachelectomy as a fertility-sparing procedure in women with early-stage cervical cancer-cumulative pregnancy rate in a series of 123 womenJ H Shepherd
The Gynaecological Cancer Centre, St Bartholomew s Hospital, West Smithfield, London, UK
BJOG 113:719-24. 2006..To analyse the fertility rates, complications and recurrences in a group of women who have undergone radical vaginal trachelectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy for early-stage cervical cancer...
- Reduced lymph node yield in rectal carcinoma specimen after neoadjuvant radiochemotherapy has no prognostic relevanceDietrich Doll
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaningerstrasse 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
World J Surg 33:340-7. 2009..Neoadjuvant radiochemotherapy for rectal carcinoma reduces the number of lymph nodes in the resection specimen; the prognostic impact of this reduced lymph node yield has not been determined...
- Survival results of a multicentre phase II study to evaluate D2 gastrectomy for gastric cancerM Degiuli
Department of Oncology, Division of Surgery, Via Cavour 31, 10123 Turin, Italy
Br J Cancer 90:1727-32. 2004..Our results suggest a survival benefit for pancreas-preserving D2 dissection in Italian patients with gastric cancer if performed in experienced centres. A phase III trial among exclusively experienced centres is urgently needed...
- Randomised study of systematic lymphadenectomy in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer macroscopically confined to the pelvisA Maggioni
Istituto Europeo di Oncologia, Milan, Italy
Br J Cancer 95:699-704. 2006..0-9.2%) respectively for CONTROL and SL. SL detects a higher proportion of patients with metastatic lymph nodes. This trial may have lacked power to exclude clinically important effects of SL on progression free and overall survival...
- Outcome of patients with known metastatic gastric cancer undergoing resection with therapeutic intentJason S Gold
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:365-72. 2007..Metastatic gastric cancer has a dismal prognosis. We identified a subset of patients where surgical resection with therapeutic intent was undertaken in the setting of known metastatic disease...
- Morbidity, survival, and site of recurrence after mediastinal lymph-node dissection versus systematic sampling after complete resection for non-small cell lung cancerDidier Lardinois
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 80:268-74; discussion 274-5. 2005....
- Prognosis of the upper limb following surgery and radiation for breast cancerTeresa S Lee
Discipline of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, PO Box 170, Lidcombe, NSW, 2141, Australia
Breast Cancer Res Treat 110:19-37. 2008..Radiation that excludes the axilla does not appear to be a strong prognostic indicator of adverse upper limb outcomes...
- Laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy with D2 lymph node dissection for gastric cancer: technical and oncologic aspectsK Y Song
Department of Surgery, The Catholic University of Korea, College of Medicine, 505 Banpo Dong, Seocho Gu, Seoul, Korea
Surg Endosc 22:655-9. 2008....
- Effect of the number of uninvolved nodes on survival in early breast cancerVincent Vinh-Hung
Department of Radiotherapy, Oncologisch Centrum, AZ VUB, B 1090 Jette, Belgium
Oncol Rep 10:363-8. 2003..The incidental finding that ratio-based characterization of node involvement might be a prognostic factor will be further investigated...
- A surgical and pathological based classification of resective treatment of pancreatic cancer. Summary of an international workshop on surgical procedures in pancreatic cancerS Pedrazzoli
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche e Chirurgiche, Semeiotica Chirurgica, University of Padova, Italy
Dig Surg 16:337-45. 1999..The extent of pancreatic resection and lymphadenectomy, both for Kausch-Whipple pancreatoduodenectomy and for left pancreatectomy, is variable between surgeons, according to their training...
- Self-reported arm-lymphedema and functional impairment after breast cancer treatment--a nationwide study of prevalence and associated factorsRune Gärtner
Department of Breast Surgery, Rigshospitalet 3103, Copenhagen University, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Breast 19:506-15. 2010..Giving up activities was associated with pain and swelling/heaviness, younger age, ALND, chemotherapy, time elapsed since surgery, and surgery on the dominant side. Radiotherapy and type of breast surgery were of no importance...
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with or without distal gastrectomy and extended retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy for periampullary adenocarcinoma, part 2: randomized controlled trial evaluating survival, morbidity, and mortalityCharles J Yeo
Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Ann Surg 236:355-66; discussion 366-8. 2002..To evaluate, in a prospective, randomized single-institution trial, the end points of operative morbidity, operative mortality, and survival in patients undergoing standard versus radical (extended) pancreaticoduodenectomy...
- A micromorphometry-based concept for routine classification of sentinel lymph node metastases and its clinical relevance for patients with melanomaH Starz
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Klinikum Augsburg, Augsburg, Germany
Cancer 91:2110-21. 2001..Correspondingly high standards in terms of specificity, sensitivity, and microstaging are required for the evaluation of SLNs...
- Detection rate and diagnostic accuracy of sentinel-node biopsy in early stage endometrial cancer: a prospective multicentre study (SENTI-ENDO)Marcos Ballester
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Tenon University Hospital, Paris, France
Lancet Oncol 12:469-76. 2011..We did a prospective, multicentre cohort study to assess the detection rate and diagnostic accuracy of the SLN procedure in predicting the pathological pelvic-node status in patients with early stage endometrial cancer...
- Blue dye injection in the arm in order to conserve the lymphatic drainage of the arm in breast cancer patients requiring an axillary dissectionClaude Nos
Department of Gynecologic and Oncologic Surgery, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Ann Surg Oncol 14:2490-6. 2007....
- ESTS guidelines for intraoperative lymph node staging in non-small cell lung cancerDidier Lardinois
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:787-92. 2006..The adherence to these guidelines will standardize the intraoperative lymph node staging and pathologic evaluation, and improve pathologic staging, which will help decide on the best adjuvant therapy...
- Risk factors for arm lymphedema following breast cancer diagnosis in Black women and White womenKathleen A Meeske
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 113:383-91. 2009....
- Individualization of lymph node dissection in RET (rearranged during transfection) carriers at risk for medullary thyroid cancer: value of pretherapeutic calcitonin levelsAndreas Machens
Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Ann Surg 250:305-10. 2009..This study sought to define the need for lymph node dissection in Rearranged during Transfection (RET) carriers at risk for hereditary medullary thyroid cancer...
- Treatment of node-positive endometrial cancer with complete node dissection, chemotherapy and radiation therapyT Onda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Japan
Br J Cancer 75:1836-41. 1997..In summary, aortic and pelvic lymphadenectomy and subsequent chemotherapy and radiation therapy based on node status seem to improve the survival of endometrial cancer patients with positive nodes...
- New metastatic lymph node ratio system reduces stage migration in patients undergoing D1 lymphadenectomy for gastric adenocarcinomaUgwuji N Maduekwe
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1267-77. 2010..The ratio of metastatic to examined nodes (N ratio) is an effective prognostic tool, but has not been examined in Western patients undergoing primarily D1 lymphadenectomy...
- Lymphedema in a cohort of breast carcinoma survivors 20 years after diagnosisJ A Petrek
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cancer 92:1368-77. 2001..The current study provides further support for treatments that limit lymph node dissection. The authors are prospectively evaluating patients undergoing sentinel lymph node biopsy...
- Number of nodes examined and staging accuracy in colorectal carcinomaJ H Wong
Department of Surgery, University of Hawaii School of Medicine, and Research Administration and Department of Pathology, Queen s Medical Center, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
J Clin Oncol 17:2896-900. 1999..The objective of this study was to determine the number of nodes that need to be examined to accurately reflect the histology of the regional lymphatics in colorectal carcinoma...
- Survival effect of para-aortic lymphadenectomy in endometrial cancer (SEPAL study): a retrospective cohort analysisYukiharu Todo
Division of Gynaecologic Oncology, National Hospital Organization, Hokkaido Cancer Centre, Sapporo, Japan
Lancet 375:1165-72. 2010....
- Axillary reverse mapping (ARM): a new concept to identify and enhance lymphatic preservationMargaret Thompson
Division of Breast Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:1890-5. 2007..Mapping the drainage of the arm with blue dye (axillary reverse mapping, ARM) decreases the likelihood of disruption of lymphatics and subsequent lymphedema...
- Role of axillary clearance after a tumor-positive sentinel node in the administration of adjuvant therapy in early breast cancerMarieke E Straver
The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX Amsterdam, Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 28:731-7. 2010..CONCLUSION Absence of knowledge regarding the extent of nodal involvement in the ART arm appears to have no major impact on the administration of adjuvant therapy...
- Pattern and clinical predictors of lymph node metastases in epithelial ovarian cancerP Harter
Department of Gynecology, Dr Horst Schmidt Klinik HSK, Wiesbaden, Germany
Int J Gynecol Cancer 17:1238-44. 2007..Systematic pelvic and para-aortic lymphadenectomy remains part of staging in EOC. Patients with EOC should be offered the opportunity to receive state-of-the-art treatment including surgery...
- Lymphedema following axillary lymph node dissection for breast cancerGeorge H Sakorafas
4th Department of Surgery, Attikon University Hospital, Athens University, Medical School, Arkadias 19 21, GR 115 26 Athens, Greece
Surg Oncol 15:153-65. 2006..Prevention is of key importance to avoid lymphedema formation. The application of the sentinel lymph node biopsy in the management of breast cancer has been associated with a reduced incidence of lymphedema formation...
- Clinical impact of lymphadenectomy extent in resectable gastric cancer of advanced stageRoderich E Schwarz
Division of Surgical Oncology RES, The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:317-28. 2007..The value of an extended lymph node dissection (ELND) remains unclear in this setting...
- Systematic pelvic lymphadenectomy vs. no lymphadenectomy in early-stage endometrial carcinoma: randomized clinical trialPierluigi Benedetti Panici
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, La Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1707-16. 2008..We conducted a randomized clinical trial to determine whether the addition of pelvic systematic lymphadenectomy to standard hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy improves overall and disease-free survival...
- Hospital lymph node examination rates and survival after resection for colon cancerSandra L Wong
MS, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, 3310 CCC, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
JAMA 298:2149-54. 2007..The National Quality Forum and other organizations recently endorsed a 12-node minimum as a measure of hospital quality...
- Lymphedema and quality of life in survivors of early-stage breast cancerSarah M Beaulac
Department of Epidemiology, Boston University Medical Center, Mass, USA
Arch Surg 137:1253-7. 2002..Despite increased use of breast-conserving surgery, lymphedema rates are similar to those with more radical surgery...
- Central cervical nodal metastasis from papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: pattern and factors predictive of nodal metastasisJong Lyel Roh
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1, Pungnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, 138 736, South Korea
Ann Surg Oncol 15:2482-6. 2008..We evaluated the pattern and factors predictive of central cervical metastasis from PTMC...
- Ratio between positive lymph nodes and total dissected axillaries lymph nodes as an independent prognostic factor for disease-free survival in patients with breast cancerLuciano José Megale Costa
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Clin Oncol 27:304-6. 2004..213; p < 0.001). It is concluded that P/D ratio could become a simple, inexpensive, and easily available prognostic factor for patients undergoing conventional chemotherapy for BC...
- Lymph node recoveries from 2427 pT3 colorectal resection specimens spanning 45 years: recommendations for a minimum number of recovered lymph nodes based on predictive probabilitiesNeal S Goldstein
Department of Anatomic Pathology, William Beaumont Hospital, 3601 West Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, U S A
Am J Surg Pathol 26:179-89. 2002..Thus, all palpable lymph nodes should be recovered, including those that are 1 or 2 mm...
- Risk factors for short- and long-term complications after groin surgery in vulvar cancerF Hinten
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 105:1279-87. 2011....
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy compared with axillary lymph node dissection in early breast cancer: a meta-analysisZhen Wang
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Guangxi Medical University, 6 Shuangyong Road, Nanning 530021, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China
Breast Cancer Res Treat 129:675-89. 2011..In conclusion, SLNB can be recommended as preferred care for SLN-negative patients and selected patients with SLN-micrometastasis. Despite this, ALND remains the standard management in breast cancer patients with SLN-macrometastasis...
- First 100 early endometrial cancer cases treated with laparoendoscopic single-site surgery: a multicentric retrospective studyAnna Fagotti
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Am J Obstet Gynecol 206:353.e1-6. 2012..We sought to assess feasibility and perioperative outcomes for laparoendoscopic single-site surgery (LESS) in early endometrial cancer...
- Prognostic significance of the metastatic lymph node ratio in patients with gastric cancerSung Ryol Lee
Department of Surgery, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 108 Pyung dong, Jongno Ku, Seoul, 110 746, South Korea
World J Surg 36:1096-101. 2012....
- Lymphadenectomy and histologic subtype affect overall survival of soft tissue sarcoma patients with nodal metastasesChigusa Sawamura
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45, Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8510, Japan
Clin Orthop Relat Res 471:926-31. 2013..The survival is believed to be poor if lymph node metastases occur and the potential benefit of lymphadenectomy is unclear...
- Phase 3 trial of postoperative chemotherapy alone versus chemoradiation therapy in stage III-IV gastric cancer treated with R0 gastrectomy and D2 lymph node dissectionTae Hyun Kim
Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 84:e585-92. 2012..To compare chemotherapy alone with chemoradiation therapy in stage III-IV(M0) gastric cancer treated with R0 gastrectomy and D2 lymph node dissection...
- Prophylactic central neck dissection and local recurrence in papillary thyroid cancer: a meta-analysisTarek Zetoune
Department of Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 17:3287-93. 2010..We performed a meta-analysis to assess the effect of pCND on local recurrence in PTC...
- Randomized multicenter trial of sentinel node biopsy versus standard axillary treatment in operable breast cancer: the ALMANAC TrialRobert E Mansel
Department of Surgery, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:599-609. 2006....
- The risk of developing arm lymphedema among breast cancer survivors: a meta-analysis of treatment factorsREBECCA J TSAI
Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1959-72. 2009..Numerous studies have attempted to identify treatment and prognostic factors for arm lymphedema, yet the magnitude of these associations remains inconsistent...
- Lymph node involvement in epithelial ovarian cancer: analysis of 276 pelvic and paraaortic lymphadenectomies and surgical implicationsPhilippe Morice
Department of Surgery, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
J Am Coll Surg 197:198-205. 2003..The purpose was to determine the factors influencing nodal involvement and topography of pelvic and paraaortic node involvement in ovarian carcinoma...
- Risk factors for lower limb lymphedema after lymph node dissection in patients with ovarian and uterine carcinomaHarue Tada
Department of Clinical Trial Design and Management, Translational Research Center, Kyoto University Hospital, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
BMC Cancer 9:47. 2009..We aimed to identify the factors that are associated with the occurrence of lymphedema after lymph node dissection for the treatment of ovarian or uterine carcinoma...
- A comparison of quality of life between vulvar cancer patients after sentinel lymph node procedure only and inguinofemoral lymphadenectomyM H M Oonk
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Gynecol Oncol 113:301-5. 2009..Moreover, it was evaluated what patients would advise relatives on the application of the SLN-procedure in light of possible false negative results...
- Number of lymph nodes examined and prognosis among pathologically lymph node-negative patients after preoperative chemoradiation therapy for rectal adenocarcinomaChiaojung Jillian Tsai
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 117:3713-22. 2011....
- Randomized trial of mediastinal lymph node sampling versus complete lymphadenectomy during pulmonary resection in the patient with N0 or N1 (less than hilar) non-small cell carcinoma: results of the American College of Surgery Oncology Group Z0030 TrialGail E Darling
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 141:662-70. 2011..To determine whether mediastinal lymph node dissection improves survival compared with mediastinal lymph node sampling in patients undergoing resection for N0 or nonhilar N1, T1, or T2 non-small cell lung cancer...
- Axillary reverse mapping for breast cancerMasakuni Noguchi
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Kanazawa Medical University Hospital, Uchinada daigaku 1 1, Ishikawa 920 0293, Japan
Breast Cancer Res Treat 119:529-35. 2010..The success of ARM in reducing lymphedema has not yet been determined. Further studies are needed before this can be accepted as a standard procedure in surgical management of breast cancer...
- Complications of lymphadenectomy for gynecologic cancerA Achouri
Service de Chirurgie Cancérologique Gynécologique et du Sein, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, AP HP, Paris, France
Eur J Surg Oncol 39:81-6. 2013..Here, our objective was to evaluate the incidence and risk factors of SPOLs and LLL after pelvic and/or aortocaval lymphadenectomy for gynecologic malignancies...
- Lymphatic drainage pathways of the breast and the upper limbTom Bennett Britton
Department of Academic Oncology, King s College London, UK
Nucl Med Commun 30:427-30. 2009..To determine how often the sentinel lymph node (SLN) draining the breast is the same node as the SLN draining the upper limb. A common SLN might increase the risk of upper limb breast cancer-related lymphoedema after SLN biopsy...
- Prognostic significance of lymph node metastases in pancreatic head cancer treated with extended lymphadenectomy: not just a matter of numbersPaolo Massucco
Unit of Hepato biliary pancreatic and Digestive Surgery, Ospedale Mauriziano Umberto I, Turin, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 16:3323-32. 2009....
- Different patterns of recurrence in gastric cancer depending on Lauren's histological type: longitudinal studyDaniele Marrelli
Chirurgia Oncologica, University of Siena, Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale Bracci, 53100 Siena, Italy
World J Surg 26:1160-5. 2002..The notable difference in the risk of peritoneal recurrence between the intestinal and diffuse types should be taken into consideration in the therapeutic approach to gastric cancer...
- Positive nonsentinel node status predicts mortality in patients with cutaneous melanomaCharlotte Ariyan
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 16:186-90. 2009..5). We conclude that positive NSLN is an independent predictor of disease-specific survival in patients with cutaneous melanoma...
- Recurrence pattern of squamous cell carcinoma of the thoracic esophagus after extended radical esophagectomy with three-field lymphadenectomySatoru Nakagawa
The Division of Digestive and General Surgery, Niigata Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Asahimachi dori 1 757, Niigata 951 8122, Japan
J Am Coll Surg 198:205-11. 2004..But even if this operation is performed, some patients still experience relapse of the disease. The purpose of this study was to clarify the pattern and timing of recurrence after extended radical esophagectomy...
- Complete axillary lymph node dissection versus clinical follow-up in breast cancer patients with sentinel node micrometastasis: final results from the multicenter clinical trial AATRM 048/13/2000Montserrat Solà
Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol de Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Surg Oncol 20:120-7. 2013....
- Natural history, diagnosis, treatment and outcome of medullary thyroid cancer: 37 years experience on 157 patientsM R Pelizzo
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Institute of Surgical Pathology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 33:493-7. 2007....
- Prognostic factors for recurrence and survival in primary vulvar squamous cell cancerAli Ayhan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Sihhiye, Turkey
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 87:1143-9. 2008..To evaluate survival estimates and clinico-pathological variables in women with primary vulvar squamous cancer...
- Impact of prophylactic central neck lymph node dissection on early recurrence in papillary thyroid carcinomaTracy Ann Moo
Department of Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital Cornell, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10065, USA
World J Surg 34:1187-91. 2010..The present study compares local recurrence rates in PTC patients undergoing total thyroidectomy with and without prophylactic CNLD...
- Long-term oncological outcome after post-chemotherapy retroperitoneal lymph node dissection in men with metastatic nonseminomatous germ cell tumourAude Flechon
Department of Medical Oncology, Centre Leon Berard, Lyon, France
BJU Int 106:779-85. 2010....
- The pattern and prevalence of lymphatic spread in thoracic oesophageal squamous cell carcinomaJunqiang Chen
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Teaching Hospital of Fujian Medical University, Fujian Provincial Cancer Hospital, Fuzhou, Fujian, PR China
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 36:480-6. 2009..Oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is a common type of cancer in China. The knowledge of its pattern of lymphatic metastasis would be of clinical value for surgical and radiation oncologists to treat this disease...
- Lymph node assessment in cervical cancer: prognostic and therapeutic implicationsL T Gien
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Odette Cancer Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Surg Oncol 99:242-7. 2009..Finally, the prognostic and therapeutic implications of lymphadenectomy in cervical cancer will be reviewed...
- Axillary reverse mapping with indocyanine fluorescence imaging in patients with breast cancerMasakuni Noguchi
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Kanazawa Medical University Hospital, Uchinada daigaku, Japan
J Surg Oncol 101:217-21. 2010..The ARM technique was proposed to prevent arm lymphedema after ALND and/or SLN biopsy. However, several problems remain to be resolved in the practical application of this technique...
- Comparison of long-term outcomes of laparoscopy-assisted and open distal gastrectomy for early gastric cancerJoo Ho Lee
Department of Surgery, Ewha Medical Center, Ewha Womans University School of Medicine, 911 1 Mok Dong, Yangcheon Ku, Seoul, 158 710, Republic of Korea
Surg Endosc 23:1759-63. 2009..We evaluated the long-term outcome of LADG compared with conventional open distal gastrectomy (ODG) for EGC...
- A contemporary, population-based study of lymphedema risk factors in older women with breast cancerTina W F Yen
Division of General Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 16:979-88. 2009..We studied potential risk factors for lymphedema in a contemporary population of older breast cancer patients...
- Recent advances in breast cancer-related lymphedema of the arm: lymphatic pump failure and predisposing factorsAnthony W B Stanton
Division of Cardiac and Vascular Sciences, Dermatology, St George s Hospital Medical School, University of London, London, United Kingdom
Lymphat Res Biol 7:29-45. 2009..Future research must focus on prospective observations made from before surgery until BCRL develops...
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer guided by indocyanine green fluorescenceD Murawa
Department of Surgery and Surgical Oncology, Robert Rössle Hospital, HELIOS Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Br J Surg 96:1289-94. 2009..This study evaluated the feasibility of fluorescence detection of SLNs with indocyanine green (ICG) for lymphatic mapping and SLN biopsy...
- Biology of Headpin (a novel serpin) in Oral CancerGary Clayman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Progress in this area could lead to development of new molecular based targets for the management of oral cancer. ..
- Neoadjuvant Cytokine Immunotherapy by PLA MicrospheresMichael Sabel; Fiscal Year: 2007..I will pursue this area of investigation as a full-time faculty member, with full commitment from the Department of General Surgery and the Division of Surgical Oncology at the University of Michigan Medical Center. ..
- Radioactive Iodide Therapy of Pediatric Graves' DiseaseScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effective surveillance strategies for melanoma patientsJanice N Cormier; Fiscal Year: 2010..Collectively, the outcomes from this proposal will provide evidence-based guidelines for surveillance, which in turn will promote the cost-effective use of health care resources. ..
- Primary Hormonal Therapy for DCIS of the BreastEUN SIL HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2008..If patients could safely be spared from cancer progression while avoiding the morbidity of surgery and radiation for DCIS, the full benefit of early breast cancer detection could be realized. ..
- A-1 Adenosine Receptor Action in Developing HeartScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will identify Rho and ROCK as critical signaling molecules in heart development and reveal that cardiac GTPase activity transduces the effects of adenosine. ..
- A1-ADENOSINE RECEPTOR ACTION IN HIPPOCAMPUSScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate these studies will lead to new insights into the mechanisms of A1AR action. We also anticipate that these studies will identify A1ARs as an important regulator of axon growth. ..
- BREAST CANCER PATTERNS OF CARE AND MORBIDITYSandra Norman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Preliminary data from the parent study suggest that only longer follow-up can capture the interplay of time-dependent risks, ongoing treatment, and patient characterisitics that occur over a longer period of time. ..
- INJURY TO LIVER SINUSOIDAL ENDOTHELIAL CELLSSteven Strasberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..A potentially beneficial improvements in preservation solutions are identified they will be tested in whole isolated livers and by transplantation in the rat. ..
- In Vivo Selection of Ligands for Targeted TherapyDavid Krag; Fiscal Year: 2003..Successful completion of this clinical study will result in demonstration of a satisfactory safety profile and short peptides that bind selectively to tumor tissue. ..
- The Role of Adenosine in Hypoglycemic Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate that these studies will yield new insights into the mechanisms of hypoglycemic brain injury and may lead to the development of practical strategies for reducing hypoglycemic brain injury. ..
- Targeted Enzymes for Prodrug TherapyDavid Krag; Fiscal Year: 2007..Successful completion of these experiments will result in demonstration of novel targeted effector molecules that bind selectively to tumors and activate cytotoxic prodrugs. ..
- DEVELOPING CIRCADIAN RHYTHMICITYScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may also lead to the development of new care practices in Neonatal Intensive Care Units and extend the field of developmental chronobiology to the bedside. ..
- Bevacizumab and radiation therapy for sarcomasSam Yoon; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study explores a novel combination of the anti-angiogenic agent bevacizumab and radiation therapy for the treatment of STS. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Anti-Adenosine Therapy of Neonatal Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is anticipated that these studies will lead to novel and practical strategies for directly preventing brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CB1 Receptor Action on the Developing HippocampusScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will result in new insights into the potential effects of cannabinoid action on the developing brain. ..
- TARGETING BREAST CANCER WITH SMALL LIGANDSDavid Krag; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) Use the structure-based, homologous analog and biased library approach to make educated designs to increase the affinity of the Grb7 ligands ..
- Vaccine therapy of congenital adrenal HyperplasiaScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also anticipate being able to extend this novel approach to the treatment of other receptor-mediated endocrine disorders, such as hyperthyroidism. ..
- Adenosinergic Mechanisms of Intrauterine Growth RetardationScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goals of this proposal are to identify the mechanisms by which adenosine acts to protect the embryo in utero and how altered embryonic adenosine action leads to long-term adverse effects in adulthood. ..
- Oncology Clinical Trial Accrual StudyANNEKE SCHROEN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Lung Cancer Treatment in the ElderlyJuan Wisnivesky; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings from this project will provide information that can directly impact the care of elderly patients with NSCLC and inform the design of future trials of lung cancer treatment strategies. ..
- Prognosis and Effectiveness of Advanced Lung Cancer Treatment in the ElderlyJuan P Wisnivesky; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will provide information regarding the efficacy of several therapies and may help resolve several controversies regarding the staging and treatment of elderly patients with advanced stage lung cancer. ..
- POLYVALENT VACCINE--PHASE III TRIAL IN STAGE IV MELANOMADonald Morton; Fiscal Year: 2002..Determine whether there is any correlation between such responses and the clinical course of vaccine patients in a prospective multicenter trial. ..
- CHILDRENS CANCER GROUPKatherine Matthay; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our strong biology research laboratories in brain tumors, neuroblastoma and myeloproliferative disorders are conducting multiple biology studies in the Group and providing new information for future studies. ..
- The Prevalence of Barrett's Esophagus in Patients with *Blair Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this study will enhance our understanding of the natural history of esophageal injury in patients with extraesophageal reflux and raise awareness of non-GERD risk factors. ..
- PATTERNS CARE FOR CANCER PATIENTS AT END OF LIFEEllen McCarthy; Fiscal Year: 2002..Information obtained from the study can be used to improve the quality of care for patients at the end of life and help to determine the nature and amount of resources that might be required to meet patients' needs. ..
- 131 I-MIBG Escalating Dose Rapid Sequence Double Infusi*Katherine Matthay; Fiscal Year: 2004..Significance: The higher tumor-specific radiation doses possible with this protocol may provide a treatment to improve response and survival in children with resistant neuroblastoma. ..
- SLC2A9, A Candidate ER GLUT in Normal and Cancer CellsJeffrey Moley; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identification of SLC2A9 as the endoplasmic reticulum glucose transporter will improve understanding of GSDs, and of glucose metabolism in benign and malignant tissues. ..
- Physical Activity and Lymphedema Project (PAL Trial)Kathryn Schmitz; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge gained from this study may impact recommendations for therapeutic regimens, participation in activities of daily living, and recommendations for exercise for health promotion in BrCa survivors. ..
- MENTORING & ADVANCED RESEARCH TRAINING FOR WRHR SCHOLARSJonathan Berek; Fiscal Year: 2008..This cadre of Scholars will be among future leaders in women's reproductive health research in the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPING QUALITY INDICATORS FOR ADVANCED CANCER CARECraig Earle; Fiscal Year: 2007..Once identified, reasons could be sought and appropriate interventions, such as increasing access to palliative services, could be instituted. ..
- Cost-Effectiveness--Treatments--Ductal Carcinoma In SituJennifer Griggs; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..