- Adipose-derived stem cells for regenerative medicine
Jeffrey M Gimble
Stem Cell Biology Laboratory and Clinical Nutrition Research Unit, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Circ Res 100:1249-60. 2007
..The isolation, characterization, and preclinical and clinical application of adipose-derived stem cells (ASCs) are reviewed in this article...
- Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells
M F Pittenger
Osiris Therapeutics, 2001 Aliceanna Street, Baltimore, MD 21231 3043, USA
Science 284:143-7. 1999
..These adult stem cells could be induced to differentiate exclusively into the adipocytic, chondrocytic, or osteocytic lineages. Individual stem cells were identified that, when expanded to colonies, retained their multilineage potential...
- Circulating tumor cells, disease progression, and survival in metastatic breast cancer
Department of Breast Medical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 351:781-91. 2004
..We tested the hypothesis that the level of circulating tumor cells can predict survival in metastatic breast cancer...
- Identification of a subpopulation of cells with cancer stem cell properties in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
M E Prince
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:973-8. 2007
- Stromal fibroblasts present in invasive human breast carcinomas promote tumor growth and angiogenesis through elevated SDF-1/CXCL12 secretion
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 121:335-48. 2005
..Our findings indicate that fibroblasts within invasive breast carcinomas contribute to tumor promotion in large part through the secretion of SDF-1...
- Identification of human brain tumour initiating cells
Sheila K Singh
The Arthur and Sonia Labatt Brain Tumor Research Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, M5G 1X8, Canada
Nature 432:396-401. 2004
- Isolation of rare circulating tumour cells in cancer patients by microchip technology
Surgical Services and BioMEMS Resource Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and Shriners Hospital for Children, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nature 450:1235-9. 2007
..It has broad implications in advancing both cancer biology research and clinical cancer management, including the detection, diagnosis and monitoring of cancer...
- Mesenchymal stem cells reside in virtually all post-natal organs and tissues
Lindolfo da Silva Meirelles
Departamento de Genetica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Cell Sci 119:2204-13. 2006
..These findings have implications for understanding MSC biology, and for clinical and pharmacological purposes...
- ALDH1 is a marker of normal and malignant human mammary stem cells and a predictor of poor clinical outcome
Department of Internal Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Cell Stem Cell 1:555-67. 2007
..These findings offer an important new tool for the study of normal and malignant breast stem cells and facilitate the clinical application of stem cell concepts...
- Isolation of multipotent mesenchymal stem cells from umbilical cord blood
Oscar K Lee
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Veterans General Hospital Taipei, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
Blood 103:1669-75. 2004
..In conclusion, umbilical cord blood does contain mesenchymal stem cells and should not be regarded as medical waste. It can serve as an alternative source of mesenchymal stem cells to bone marrow...
- Isolation of circulating tumor cells using a microvortex-generating herringbone-chip
Shannon L Stott
Center for Engineering in Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:18392-7. 2010
..In a subset of patient samples, the low shear design of the HB-Chip revealed microclusters of CTCs, previously unappreciated tumor cell aggregates that may contribute to the hematogenous dissemination of cancer...
- Purification and characterization of mouse hematopoietic stem cells
G J Spangrude
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305
Science 241:58-62. 1988
..Thirty of these cells are sufficient to save 50 percent of lethally irradiated mice, and to reconstitute all blood cell types in the survivors...
- Isolation by size of epithelial tumor cells : a new method for the immunomorphological and molecular characterization of circulatingtumor cells
INSERM U 370, Faculte Necker, Paris, France
Am J Pathol 156:57-63. 2000
..Overall, ISET constitutes a novel approach that should open new perpectives in molecular medicine...
- Isolation of amniotic stem cell lines with potential for therapy
Paolo De Coppi
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1094, USA
Nat Biotechnol 25:100-6. 2007
- EpCAM-positive hepatocellular carcinoma cells are tumor-initiating cells with stem/progenitor cell features
Liver Carcinogenesis Section, Laboratory of Human Carcinogenesis, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Gastroenterology 136:1012-24. 2009
..We hypothesized that the heterogeneous nature of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), in part, may be owing to the presence of hepatic cancer cells with stem/progenitor features...
- Efficient generation of monoclonal antibodies from single human B cells by single cell RT-PCR and expression vector cloning
Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Immunol Methods 329:112-24. 2008
- Identification of tendon stem/progenitor cells and the role of the extracellular matrix in their niche
Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, US National Institutes of Health, 30 Convent Dr 30 225 MSC 4320, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Med 13:1219-27. 2007
..Our results, while offering new insights into the biology of tendon cells, may assist in future strategies to treat tendon diseases...
- Epigenetic control of the foxp3 locus in regulatory T cells
Experimentelle Rheumatologie, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
PLoS Biol 5:e38. 2007
- Identification and characterization of tumorigenic liver cancer stem/progenitor cells
Department of Pathology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Gastroenterology 132:2542-56. 2007
..The aim of this study is to identify, isolate, and characterize the CSC population that drives and maintains hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) growth and metastasis...
- Prospective identification, isolation, and systemic transplantation of multipotent mesenchymal stem cells in murine bone marrow
Department of Physiology, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
J Exp Med 206:2483-96. 2009
..Naive MSCs resided in the perivascular region in a quiescent state. This study provides the useful method needed to identify MSCs as defined in vivo entities...
- Isolation and expansion of adult cardiac stem cells from human and murine heart
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Circ Res 95:911-21. 2004
- 3D microfilter device for viable circulating tumor cell (CTC) enrichment from blood
Department of Bioengineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Biomed Microdevices 13:203-13. 2011
..The device provides a highly valuable tool for assessing and characterizing viable enriched circulating tumor cells in both research and clinical settings...
- A population of very small embryonic-like (VSEL) CXCR4(+)SSEA-1(+)Oct-4+ stem cells identified in adult bone marrow
Stem Cell Biology Program at James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Leukemia 20:857-69. 2006
..We hypothesize that this population of Sca-1(+)lin(-)CD45- very small embryonic-like (VSEL) stem cells is deposited early during development in BM and could be a source of pluripotent stem cells for tissue/organ regeneration...
- Molecular and cellular characterisation of highly purified stromal stem cells derived from human bone marrow
Mesenchymal Stem Cell Group, Division of Haematology, Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Cell Sci 116:1827-35. 2003
..Using a combination of cell separation techniques, we have isolated an almost homogeneous population of BMSSCs from adult human bone marrow...
- Endothelial progenitor cells: identity defined?
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ghent, University Hospital Ghent, De Pintelaan, Ghent, Belgium
J Cell Mol Med 13:87-102. 2009
..We also discuss our recent findings on the origin of endothelial outgrowth cells (EOCs), showing that this in vitro defined EC population does not originate from circulating CD133(+) cells or CD45(+) haematopoietic cells...
- Purification and unique properties of mammary epithelial stem cells
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver V5Z 1L3, British Columbia, Canada
Nature 439:993-7. 2006
..The mammary stem cells are also a rapidly cycling population in the normal adult and have molecular features indicative of a basal position in the mammary epithelium...
- Isolation and characterization of cancer stem cells from a human glioblastoma cell line U87
Shi cang Yu
Institute of Pathology, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Gaotanyan 30, Shapingba District, Chongqing 400038, PR China
Cancer Lett 265:124-34. 2008
- Label-free cell separation and sorting in microfluidic systems
Daniel R Gossett
Department of Bioengineering, University of California Los Angeles, 420 Westwood Plaza, 5121 Engineering V, Box 951600, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1600, USA
Anal Bioanal Chem 397:3249-67. 2010
b>Cell separation and sorting are essential steps in cell biology research and in many diagnostic and therapeutic methods...
- Persistence of a small subpopulation of cancer stem-like cells in the C6 glioma cell line
Department of Cell Fate Modulation, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, 2 2 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:781-6. 2004
..We propose that many cancer cell lines contain a minor subpopulation of stem cells that is enriched in an SP, can be maintained indefinitely in culture, and is crucial for their malignancy...
- Double spiral microchannel for label-free tumor cell separation and enrichment
CAS Key Lab for Biological Effects of Nanomaterials and Nanosafety, National Center for Nanoscience and Technology, Beijing, 100190, China
Lab Chip 12:3952-60. 2012
This work reports on a passive double spiral microfluidic device allowing rapid and label-free tumor cell separation and enrichment from diluted peripheral whole blood, by exploiting the size-dependent hydrodynamic forces...
- Pinched flow coupled shear-modulated inertial microfluidics for high-throughput rare blood cell separation
Ali Asgar S Bhagat
BioSystems and Micromechanics IRG, Singapore MIT Alliance for Research and Technology Centre, Singapore
Lab Chip 11:1870-8. 2011
- Progressive lineage analysis by cell sorting and culture identifies FLK1+VE-cadherin+ cells at a diverging point of endothelial and hemopoietic lineages
S I Nishikawa
Department of Molecular Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Development 125:1747-57. 1998
..This line of evidence implicates Flk1+VE-cadherin+ cells as a diverging point of hemopoietic and endothelial cell lineages...
- Laser-capture microdissection
Center for Applied Proteomics and Molecular Medicine, George Mason University, 10900 University Blvd MS 4E3, Manassas, Virginia, USA
Nat Protoc 1:586-603. 2006
..Herein we provide a thorough description of LCM techniques, with an emphasis on tips and troubleshooting advice derived from LCM users. The total time required to carry out this protocol is typically 1-1.5 h...
- Dystrophin expression in the mdx mouse restored by stem cell transplantation
Division of Genetics, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 401:390-4. 1999
..Our studies also suggest that the inherent developmental potential of stem cells isolated from diverse tissues or organs may be more similar than previously anticipated...
- High-throughput selection, enumeration, electrokinetic manipulation, and molecular profiling of low-abundance circulating tumor cells using a microfluidic system
Center for Bio Modular Multi Scale Systems, Louisiana State University, 8000 GSRI Road, Building 3100, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70820 7403, United States
Anal Chem 83:2301-9. 2011
..However, the HT29 cells did not contain these mutations, consistent with their known genotype...
- Very small embryonic-like stem cells with maximum regenerative potential get discarded during cord blood banking and bone marrow processing for autologous stem cell therapy
Stem Cell Biology Department, National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Parel, Mumbai, India
Stem Cells Dev 21:1-6. 2012
- Stromal cell-derived factor-1 effects on ex vivo expanded endothelial progenitor cell recruitment for ischemic neovascularization
Jun Ichi Yamaguchi
Division of Cardiovascular Research and Medicine, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02135, USA
Circulation 107:1322-8. 2003
..Given the close relationship between hematopoietic stem cells and endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs), we investigated the effect of SDF-1 on EPC-mediated vasculogenesis...
- Isolation and characterization of bone marrow multipotential mesenchymal progenitor cells
Elena A Jones
University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 46:3349-60. 2002
..The aim of this study was to isolate and characterize human bone marrow (BM) MPCs...
- A method for quantifying normal human mammary epithelial stem cells with in vivo regenerative ability
Terry Fox Laboratory, British Columbia Cancer Agency, 675 West Tenth Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Nat Med 14:1384-9. 2008
..This new assay procedure sets the stage for investigations of mechanisms regulating normal human mammary stem cells (and possibly stem cells in other tissues) and their relationship to human cancer stem cell populations...
- Identification of a novel population of muscle stem cells in mice: potential for muscle regeneration
Growth and Development Laboratory, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
J Cell Biol 157:851-64. 2002
..Our results suggest that this novel population of muscle-derived stem cells will significantly improve muscle cell-mediated therapies...
- Oct-4-expressing cells in human amniotic fluid: a new source for stem cell research?
Andrea Romana Prusa
Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vienna, Prenatal Diagnosis and Therapy, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Hum Reprod 18:1489-93. 2003
..Oct-4 is a marker for pluripotent human stem cells so far known to be expressed in embryonal carcinoma cells, embryonic stem cells and embryonic germ cells...
- Isolation and characterization of a stem cell population from adult human liver
Maria Beatriz Herrera
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Stem Cells 24:2840-50. 2006
..In conclusion, we here identified a pluripotent progenitor population in adult human liver that could provide a basis for cell therapy strategies...
- Isolation of functionally distinct mesenchymal stem cell subsets using antibodies against CD56, CD271, and mesenchymal stem cell antigen-1
Venkata Lokesh Battula
University of Tubingen, Department of Internal Medicine II, Medical, Otfried Muller Str 10, 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Haematologica 94:173-84. 2009
- Novel markers for the prospective isolation of human MSC
Hans Jorg Buhring
Department of Internal Medicine II, University Clinic, Medical Research Center, Otfried Müller Str 27, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1106:262-71. 2007
..These MSC may be used as an improved starting population for transplantation in diseases like osteogenesis imperfecta, cartilage repair, and myocardial infarction...
- Direct isolation of human central nervous system stem cells
StemCells, Inc, 525 Del Rey Avenue, Suite C, Sunnyvale, CA 94085 Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:14720-5. 2000
..Upon transplantation into brains of immunodeficient neonatal mice, the sorted/expanded hCNS-SC showed potent engraftment, proliferation, migration, and neural differentiation...
- Characterization of mesenchymal stem cells isolated from murine bone marrow by negative selection
Center for Gene Therapy, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
J Cell Biochem 89:1235-49. 2003
..Therefore, FGF2 appears to function as a mitogen and self-maintenance factor for murine MSCs enriched from bone marrow by negative selection...
- Bone marrow stromal cells generate muscle cells and repair muscle degeneration
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Yoshidakonoecho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, 606 8501 Japan
Science 309:314-7. 2005
..These MSCs represent a more ready supply of myogenic cells than do the rare myogenic stem cells normally found in muscle and bone marrow...
- Molecular signatures of proliferation and quiescence in hematopoietic stem cells
Teresa A Venezia
Cell and Molecular Biology Program, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
PLoS Biol 2:e301. 2004
..These data will be of use in attempts to recapitulate the HSC self renewal process for therapeutic expansion of stem cells, and our model may correlate with acquisition of self renewal characteristics by cancer stem cells...
- Deformability based cell margination--a simple microfluidic design for malaria-infected erythrocyte separation
Han Wei Hou
Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, 7 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore, 117574, Singapore
Lab Chip 10:2605-13. 2010
..g. sickle cell anemia and leukemia, characterized by changes in cell stiffness...
- Mobilization of bone marrow-derived Oct-4+ SSEA-4+ very small embryonic-like stem cells in patients with acute myocardial infarction
Third Division of Cardiology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
J Am Coll Cardiol 53:1-9. 2009
..This study sought to assess of the mobilization of nonhematopoietic very small embryonic-like stem cells (VSELs) in acute myocardial infarction (MI)...
- The RNAseIII enzyme Drosha is critical in T cells for preventing lethal inflammatory disease
Mark M W Chong
The Kimmel Center for Biology and Medicine of the Skirball Institute, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Exp Med 205:2005-17. 2008
..Thus, miRNA-dependent regulation is critical for preventing spontaneous inflammation and autoimmunity...
- Defining the epithelial stem cell niche in skin
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 303:359-63. 2004
..Many of the >100 messenger RNAs preferentially expressed in the niche encode surface receptors and secreted proteins, enabling LRCs to signal and respond to their environment...
- Single-marker identification of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cancer stem cells with aldehyde dehydrogenase
Matthew R Clay
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Head Neck 32:1195-201. 2010
..We previously reported that CD44 isolates tumorigenic cells from head and neck squamous cell cancer (HNSCC). Recent studies indicate that aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity may represent a more specific marker of CSCs...
- Origin of stem cells in organogenesis
J M W Slack
Stem Cell Institute, University of Minnesota, McGuire Translational Research Facility, 2001 6th Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Science 322:1498-501. 2008
..Possible explanations for the existence of such cells, and the issue of whether they also exist in vivo, are discussed...
- Detection and characterization of CD133+ cancer stem cells in human solid tumours
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, Sezione di Istologia ed Embriologia, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli, Napoli, Italy
PLoS ONE 3:e3469. 2008
..Therefore, our aim was to observe the possible presence of cells expressing the CD133 antigen within solid tumour cell lines of osteosarcoma and, then, understand their biological characteristics and performances...
- Microdevice for the isolation and enumeration of cancer cells from blood
Swee Jin Tan
Institute of Microelectronics, A STAR Agency for Science, Technology and Research, 11 Science Park Road, Singapore Science Park II, Singapore 117685, Singapore
Biomed Microdevices 11:883-92. 2009
..The microdevice has the potential to be used for routine monitoring of cancer development and cancer therapy in a clinical setting...
- Isolation of human multipotent mesenchymal stem cells from second-trimester amniotic fluid using a novel two-stage culture protocol
Ming Song Tsai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cathay General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Hum Reprod 19:1450-6. 2004
..The aim of this study was to isolate mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) from amniotic fluid obtained by second-trimester amniocentesis...
- Adult stem cells from bone marrow (MSCs) isolated from different strains of inbred mice vary in surface epitopes, rates of proliferation, and differentiation potential
Center for Gene Therapy, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Blood 103:1662-8. 2004
..The differences among MSCs from different strains may explain some of the conflicting data recently published on the engraftment of mouse MSCs or other bone marrow cells into nonhematopoietic tissues...
- Versatile label free biochip for the detection of circulating tumor cells from peripheral blood in cancer patients
Swee Jin Tan
NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering, National University of Singapore, 12 Medical Drive, Singapore 117598, Singapore
Biosens Bioelectron 26:1701-5. 2010
..Identification of CTCs will aid in the detection of malignancy and disease stage as well as understanding the phenotypic and genotypic expressions of cancer cells...
- The immunogenicity of human adipose-derived cells: temporal changes in vitro
Cognate Therapeutics, Inc, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Stem Cells 24:1246-53. 2006
..Indeed, late passage ASCs actually suppressed the MLR response. Although these results support the feasibility of allogeneic human ASC transplantation, confirmatory in vivo animal studies will be required...
- Isolation of mesenchymal stem cells of fetal or maternal origin from human placenta
Pieternella S In 't Anker
Department of Obstetrics, Lieden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Stem Cells 22:1338-45. 2004
..Decidua basalis and decidua parietalis are sources for maternal MSCs. The expansion potency from both fetal and maternal placenta-derived MSCs was higher compared with adult bone marrow-derived MSCs...
- Myogenic specification of side population cells in skeletal muscle
Molecular Medicine Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8L6 Canada
J Cell Biol 159:123-34. 2002
- Regulation of B cell differentiation and plasma cell generation by IL-21, a novel inducer of Blimp-1 and Bcl-6
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 173:5361-71. 2004
..Finally, BXSB-Yaa mice, which develop a systemic lupus erythematosus-like disease, have greatly elevated IL-21, suggesting a role for IL-21 in the development of autoimmune disease...
- Isolation and characterization of cancer stem like cells in human glioblastoma cell lines
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Carcinogenesis and Intervention, China Pharmaceutical University, 24 Tongjiaxiang, Nanjing 210009, PR China
Cancer Lett 279:13-21. 2009
..Molecular and functional characterization of such a tumorigenic population may be exploited in the development of novel cancer therapeutic drugs...
- Pancreatic cancer stem cells
Cheong J Lee
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:2806-12. 2008
..Understanding the biologic behavior and the molecular pathways that regulate growth, survival, and metastasis of pancreatic CSCs will help to identify novel therapeutic approaches to treat this dismal disease...
- Multipotent stem cells from umbilical cord: cord is richer than blood!
Human Genome Research Center, Department of Genetic and Evolutive Biology, University of Sao Paulo, Rua do Matao, n 106, Cidade Universitaria, Sao Paulo, SP, CEP 05508 090, Brazil
Stem Cells 26:146-50. 2008
- Markers and methods for cell sorting of human embryonic stem cell-derived neural cell populations
Center for Neuroregeneration Research, McLean Hospital Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
Stem Cells 25:2257-68. 2007
- Critical parameters for the isolation of mesenchymal stem cells from umbilical cord blood
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, German Red Cross Blood Service of Baden Württemberg Hessen, Friedrich Ebert Strasse 107, D 68167 Mannheim
Stem Cells 22:625-34. 2004
..Because MSC-like cells can be isolated at high efficacy from full-term UCB donations, we regard UCB as an additional stem cell source for experimental and potentially clinical purposes...
- Multipotent retinal progenitors express developmental markers, differentiate into retinal neurons, and preserve light-mediated behavior
Henry J Klassen
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:4167-73. 2004
..To use progenitor cells isolated from the neural retina for transplantation studies in mice with retinal degeneration...
- Facile isolation and the characterization of human retinal stem cells
Brenda L K Coles
Departments of Medical Genetics and Microbiology, University of Toronto, 1 Kings College Circle, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:15772-7. 2004
..Their facile isolation, integration, and differentiation suggest that human RSCs eventually may be valuable in treating human retinal diseases...
- 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 modulates Th17 polarization and interleukin-22 expression by memory T cells from patients with early rheumatoid arthritis
E M Colin
Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Department of Rheumatology, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 62:132-42. 2010
..To examine the immunologic mechanism by which 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) (1,25[OH](2)D(3)) may prevent corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA), with a focus on T cell biology...
- High efficiency of reprogramming CD34⁺ cells derived from human amniotic fluid into induced pluripotent stem cells with Oct4
International Peace Maternity and Child Health Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Stem Cells Dev 21:2322-32. 2012
..Besides, HuAECs were used as feeder layers to culture human iPS cells, which could not only avoid contamination with heterogeneous proteins, but also maintain iPS cells in a self-renewing and undifferentiated state for a long time...
- Improved synchronous production of Plasmodium falciparum gametocytes in vitro
Quinton L Fivelman
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 154:119-23. 2007
..The protocol described lends itself to large scale culturing and harvesting of synchronous parasites suitable for biochemical assays, northern blots, flow cytometry, microarrays and proteomic analysis...
- Identification and isolation from either adult human bone marrow or G-CSF-mobilized peripheral blood of CD34(+)/CD133(+)/CXCR4(+)/ Lin(-)CD45(-) cells, featuring morphological, molecular, and phenotypic characteristics of very small embryonic-like (VSEL)
Institut de Recherche en Hématologie et Transplantation, Mulhouse, France
Exp Hematol 39:495-505. 2011
- Isolation of circulating tumor cells in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma using a novel cell separation strategy
Molecular Oncology Laboratory, and Departments of Comprehensive Treatment and Radio intervention Therapy, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, PR China
Clin Cancer Res 17:3783-93. 2011
..To establish a sensitive and specific isolation and enumeration system for circulating tumor cells (CTC) in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Human placenta-derived cells have mesenchymal stem/progenitor cell potential
Division of Cellular Therapy, The Advanced Clinical Research Center, Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, 4 6 1 Shirokanedai, Minato ku, 108 8639, Japan
Stem Cells 22:649-58. 2004
..The placenta may prove to be a useful source of MSCs...
- Kaposi's sarcoma associated herpes virus (KSHV) induced COX-2: a key factor in latency, inflammation, angiogenesis, cell survival and invasion
H M Bligh Cancer Research Laboratories, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, North Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000777. 2010
- Single cell transcriptional profiling reveals heterogeneity of human induced pluripotent stem cells
Kazim H Narsinh
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
J Clin Invest 121:1217-21. 2011
..Our results suggest that caution should be exercised before assuming that hiPSCs occupy a pluripotent state equivalent to that of hESCs, particularly when producing differentiated cells for regenerative medicine aims...
- Ex vivo isolation and characterization of CD4(+)CD25(+) T cells with regulatory properties from human blood
Department of Dermatology, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Hartmannstrasse 14, 91052 Erlangen, Germany
J Exp Med 193:1303-10. 2001
..The identification of regulatory CD4(+)CD25(+) T cells has important implications for the study of tolerance in man, notably in the context of autoimmunity, transplantation, and cancer...
- Isolation and characterisation of mesenchymal stem cells from adult mouse bone marrow
INSERM U318, Grenoble, France
Exp Cell Res 295:395-406. 2004
..Therefore, mMSCs will be an important tool to study the in vivo behaviour and fate of this cell type after grafting in mouse pathology models...
- Isolation of renal progenitor cells from adult human kidney
Cattedra di Nefrologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Ospedale Maggiore S Giovanni Battista, Corso Dogliotti 14, 10126 Turin, Italy
Am J Pathol 166:545-55. 2005
..We propose that CD133+ cells from kidney represent a multipotent adult resident stem cell population that may contribute to the repair of renal injury...
- Multipotent mesenchymal stem cells with immunosuppressive activity can be easily isolated from dental pulp
Department of Histology, Embryology, and Applied Biology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Transplantation 80:836-42. 2005
..The aim of this study was to evaluate dental pulp (DP) as a potential source of MSCs instead of bone marrow (BM)...
- Isolating highly enriched populations of circulating epithelial cells and other rare cells from blood using a magnetic sweeper device
AmirAli H Talasaz
Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:3970-5. 2009
..In contrast, we could not find any circulating epithelial cells in samples from 5 healthy donors. The isolated CEpCs are all stored individually for further molecular analysis...
- Embryonic stem cell-derived hematopoietic stem cells
Division of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital Boston, Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Division of Hematology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:19081-6. 2005
..These data document the cardinal stem cell features of self-renewal and multilineage differentiation of ESC-derived hematopoietic stem cells...
- Isolation of cancer stem-like cells from a side population of a human glioblastoma cell line, SK-MG-1
Department of Neurosurgery, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer Lett 291:150-7. 2010
..Therefore, the SP cells from SK-MG-1 may be useful for analyzing BCSCs because of the ease with which they can be handled and their yield...
- Ex vivo generation of fully mature human red blood cells from hematopoietic stem cells
Marie Catherine Giarratana
Laboratoire d Hématologie EA1638, Universite Paris VI, CHU Saint Antoine, 27 rue de Chaligny 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
Nat Biotechnol 23:69-74. 2005
..Further development of large-scale production of cultured RBCs will have implications for gene therapy, blood transfusion and tropical medicine...
- Purified hematopoietic stem cells can differentiate into hepatocytes in vivo
StemCells, 525 Del Rey Avenue, Suite C, Sunnyvale, California 94085, USA
Nat Med 6:1229-34. 2000
- Comparison of human stem cells derived from various mesenchymal tissues: superiority of synovium as a cell source
Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 52:2521-9. 2005
..To compare the properties of human mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) isolated from bone marrow, synovium, periosteum, skeletal muscle, and adipose tissue...
- A leukemic stem cell with intrinsic drug efflux capacity in acute myeloid leukemia
G G Wulf
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Blood 98:1166-73. 2001
..They also suggest a mechanism by which SP cells could escape the effects of cytostatic drugs and might eventually contribute to leukemia relapse. (Blood. 2001;98:1166-1173)..
- Side population cells isolated from porcine dental pulp tissue with self-renewal and multipotency for dentinogenesis, chondrogenesis, adipogenesis, and neurogenesis
Laboratory of Oral Disease Research, National Institute for Longevity Sciences, National Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology, Aichi, Japan
Stem Cells 24:2493-503. 2006
..Thus, adult pulp contains SP cells, which are enriched for stem cell properties and useful for cell therapy with BMP2 for dentin regeneration...
- Heterogeneity of mesenchymal stromal cell preparations
A D Ho
Department of Medicine V, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Cytotherapy 10:320-30. 2008
- Mammalian neural stem cells
F H Gage
The Salk Institute, Laboratory of Genetics, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 287:1433-8. 2000
..Before the full potential of neural stem cells can be realized, we need to learn what controls their proliferation, as well as the various pathways of differentiation available to their daughter cells...
- Application of a filtration- and isolation-by-size technique for the detection of circulating tumor cells in cutaneous melanoma
Vincenzo de Giorgi
Department of Critical Care Medicine and Surgery, Dermatology Unit, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Invest Dermatol 130:2440-7. 2010
..001). CTC detection corroborated by suitable molecular characterization may assist in the identification and monitoring of more appropriate therapies in melanoma patients...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis peptides presented by HLA-E molecules are targets for human CD8 T-cells with cytotoxic as well as regulatory activity
Simone A Joosten
Department of Infectious Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000782. 2010
..Our results significantly increase our understanding of the human immune response to Mtb by identification of CD8(+) T-cell responses to novel HLA-E binding peptides of Mtb, which have cytotoxic as well as immunoregulatory activity...
- WNT5A is induced by inflammatory mediators in bone marrow stromal cells and regulates cytokine and chemokine production
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Bone Diseases, Department of Medicine III, Technical University, Dresden, Germany
J Bone Miner Res 27:575-85. 2012
..This study underlines the critical role of BMSC-derived WNT5A in the regulation of inflammatory processes and suggests its participation in the pathogenesis of RA...
- CD4(+)CD25(+) immunoregulatory T cells: gene expression analysis reveals a functional role for the glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor
Rebecca S McHugh
Cellular Immunology Section, Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Immunity 16:311-23. 2002
..Importantly, antibodies to GITR abrogated suppression, demonstrating a functional role for this receptor in regulating the CD4(+)CD25(+) T cell subset...
- Rare cell separation and analysis by magnetic sorting
Department of Biomedical Engineering ND 20, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, United States
Anal Chem 83:8050-6. 2011
- Analysis of circulating tumor cells in patients with non-small cell lung cancer using epithelial marker-dependent and -independent approaches
Matthew G Krebs
Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
J Thorac Oncol 7:306-15. 2012
..Molecular characteristics of CTCs were also explored...
- A new device for rapid isolation by size and characterization of rare circulating tumor cells
ScreenCell, 75012 Paris, France
Anticancer Res 31:427-41. 2011
..Circulating tumor cells (CTCs) likely derive from clones in the primary tumor, suggesting that they can be used for all biological tests applying to the primary cells...
- Distinct stem cells subpopulations isolated from human adipose tissue exhibit different chondrogenic and osteogenic differentiation potential
3B s Research Group Biomaterials, Biodegradables and Biomimetics, Department of Polymer Engineering, University of Minho, Headquarters of the European Institute of Excellence on Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Avepark, 4806 909 Taipas, Guimaraes, Portugal
Stem Cell Rev 7:64-76. 2011
..Furthermore, the results obtained clearly evidence of the advantages of using selected populations in cell-based therapies, such as bone and cartilage regenerative medicine approaches...
- B cell receptor-mediated calcium signaling is impaired in B lymphocytes of type Ia patients with common variable immunodeficiency
Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Centre of Chronic Immunodeficiency, University Medical Centre, Freiburg, Germany
J Immunol 184:7305-13. 2010
..These data from patients with CVID suggest that a defect leading to impaired BCR-induced calcium signaling is associated with the expansion of CD21low B cells, hypogammaglobulinemia, autoimmune dysregulation, and lymphadenopathy...