Genomes and Genes
Summary: Two-phase systems in which one is uniformly dispersed in another as particles small enough so they cannot be filtered or will not settle out. The dispersing or continuous phase or medium envelops the particles of the discontinuous phase. All three states of matter can form colloids among each other.
Publications331 found, 100 shown here
- The inhibitory effects of silver nanoparticles, silver ions, and silver chloride colloids on microbial growthOkkyoung Choi
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Missouri, E2509 Lafferre Hall, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Water Res 42:3066-74. 2008..well-controlled continuously operated bioreactor, Ag NPs (average size=14+/-6 nm), Ag(+) ions (AgNO(3)), and AgCl colloids (average size=0.25 microm), all at 1mg/L Ag, inhibited respiration by 86+/-3%, 42+/-7%, and 46+/-4%, respectively...
- Colloids with valence and specific directional bondingYufeng Wang
Molecular Design Institute and Department of Chemistry, New York University, New York, New York 10003, USA
Nature 491:51-5. 2012..These features allow the particles to self-assemble into 'colloidal molecules' with triangular, tetrahedral and other bonding symmetries, and should also give access to a rich variety of new microstructured colloidal materials...
- Ion release kinetics and particle persistence in aqueous nano-silver colloidsJingyu Liu
Department of Chemistry, Division of Engineering, Institute for Molecular and Nanoscale Innovation, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Environ Sci Technol 44:2169-75. 2010..The present study synthesizes pure, ion-free, citrate-stabilized nanosilver (nAg) colloids as model systems, and measures their time-dependent release of dissolved silver using centrifugal ultrafiltration ..
- Aquatic toxicity of nanosilver colloids to different trophic organisms: contributions of particles and free silver ionZhuang Wang
Key Laboratory of Industrial Ecology and Environmental Engineering, School of Environmental Science and Technology, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China
Environ Toxicol Chem 31:2408-13. 2012..The toxicity of the nAg in the form of colloids decreased in the order DIS-nAg > PVP-nAg > Bare-nAg for all three trophic aquatic organisms (in ..
- Effects of fluid resuscitation with colloids vs crystalloids on mortality in critically ill patients presenting with hypovolemic shock: the CRISTAL randomized trialDjillali Annane
Raymond Poincare Hospital, Garches, France
JAMA 310:1809-17. 2013..Evidence supporting the choice of intravenous colloid vs crystalloid solutions for management of hypovolemic shock remains unclear...
- A rational approach to perioperative fluid managementDaniel Chappell
Clinic of Anesthesiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Anesthesiology 109:723-40. 2008..Therefore, undifferentiated fluid handling may increase the shift toward the interstitial space. Using the right kind of fluid in appropriate amounts at the right time might improve patient outcome...
- Measuring translational, rotational, and vibrational dynamics in colloids with digital holographic microscopyJerome Fung
Department of Physics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Opt Express 19:8051-65. 2011..Finally, we show that the fitting technique can be used to measure dynamics of clusters containing three or more spheres...
- Colloids versus crystalloids for fluid resuscitation in critically ill patientsPablo Perel
Cochrane Injuries Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6:CD000567. 2012Colloid solutions are widely used in fluid resuscitation of critically ill patients. There are several choices of colloid and there is ongoing debate about the relative effectiveness of colloids compared to crystalloid fluids.
- Microcirculatory effects of intravenous fluids in critical illness: plasma expansion beyond crystalloids and colloidsNivaldo R Villela
Laboratory for Clinical and Experimental Research in Vascular Biology, Biomedical Center, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 22:163-7. 2009..of a new understanding of optimal tissue function that prioritizes maintenance of functional capillary density, which results from the normalization of blood viscosity via the increase in plasma viscosity with new viscogenic colloids.
- Colloid formation by drugs in simulated intestinal fluidAllison K Doak
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158 2550, USA
J Med Chem 53:4259-65. 2010..Six formed colloids at concentrations equal to or lower than the concentrations reached in the gut, suggesting that aggregation may ..
- Centrifugation on a single layer of colloid selects improved quality spermatozoa from frozen-thawed stallion semenB Macias Garcia
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Laboratory of Spermatology, University of Extremadura, Avda de Universidad s n, Caceres, Spain
Anim Reprod Sci 114:193-202. 2009..Single-layer centrifugation (SLC) using Androcoll-E significantly improved all the sperm parameters studied, implying SLC may be a simple approach to improve the quality of frozen-thawed (FT) spermatozoa for AI...
- Colloidal aggregation affects the efficacy of anticancer drugs in cell cultureShawn C Owen
Donnelly Centre, Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, 160 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5S3E1, Canada
ACS Chem Biol 7:1429-35. 2012..Here, seven anticancer drugs and one diagnostic reagent were found to form colloids in both biochemical buffer and in cell culture media...
- Update on the comparative safety of colloids: a systematic review of clinical studiesA B Johan Groeneveld
Department of Intensive Care, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 253:470-83. 2011To provide an updated systematic review on the comparative safety of colloids based on recent clinical studies.
- A balanced view of balanced solutionsBertrand Guidet
INSERM, Unité de Recherche en Épidémiologie Systèmes d Information et Modélisation U707, Paris F 75012, France
Crit Care 14:325. 2010..review of fluid therapy studies using balanced solutions versus isotonic saline fluids (both crystalloids and colloids) aims to address recent controversy in this topic...
- Equilibrium cluster formation in concentrated protein solutions and colloidsAnna Stradner
Department of Physics, University of Fribourg, Chemin du Musee 3, CH 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Nature 432:492-5. 2004..We discuss the relevance of this finding for nucleation processes during protein crystallization, protein or DNA self-assembly and the previously observed formation of cluster and gel phases in colloidal suspensions...
- Silver nanoparticles: green synthesis and their antimicrobial activitiesVirender K Sharma
Chemistry Department, Florida Institute of Technology, 150 West University Boulevard, Melbourne, Florida 32901, USA
Adv Colloid Interface Sci 145:83-96. 2009..Silver-containing filters are shown to have antibacterial properties in water and air purification. Finally, human and environmental implications of Ag NPs to the ecology of aquatic environment are briefly discussed...
- Lateral-flow colloidal gold-based immunoassay for the rapid detection of deoxynivalenol with two indicator rangesAnna Yu Kolosova
Laboratory of Food Analysis, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ghent University, Harelbekestraat 72, 9000 Ghent, Belgium anna
Anal Chim Acta 616:235-44. 2008..Results could be obtained within 10 min. The described assay format can be used as a simple, rapid, cost-effective and robust on-site screening tool for mycotoxin contamination in different agricultural commodities...
- Lipid vesicles and other colloids as drug carriers on the skinGregor Cevc
IDEA AG, Frankfurter Ring 193a, 80807 Munich, Germany
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 56:675-711. 2004b>Colloids from an aqueous suspension can cross the skin barrier only through hydrophilic pathways...
- Resuscitation fluid use in critically ill adults: an international cross-sectional study in 391 intensive care unitsSimon Finfer
Critical Care and Trauma Division, The George Institute for International Health, PO Box M201, Missenden Road, NSW 2050, Australia
Crit Care 14:R185. 2010..Recent evidence suggests that choice of fluid used for resuscitation may influence mortality in critically ill patients...
- Equivalent metabolic acidosis with four colloids and saline on ex vivo haemodilutionT J Morgan
Adult Intensive Care Unit and Department of Chemical Pathology, Mater Health Services, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 37:407-14. 2009Colloid infusions can cause metabolic acidosis. Mechanisms and relative severity with different colloids are incompletely understood. We compared haemodilution acid-base effects of 4% albumin, 3...
- Designed polyelectrolyte shell on magnetite nanocore for dilution-resistant biocompatible magnetic fluidsIldiko Y Toth
Department of Physical Chemistry and Materials Science, University of Szeged, Aradi vt 1, H 6720 Szeged, Hungary
Langmuir 28:16638-46. 2012..Molecular-level understanding of the protective shell formation on MNPs presented here improves fundamentally the colloidal techniques used in core-shell nanoparticle production for nanotechnology applications...
- The effect of the combined administration of colloids and lactated Ringer's solution on the coagulation system: an in vitro study using thrombelastograph coagulation analysis (ROTEGDietmar Fries
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, The Leopold Franzens University of Innsbruck, Austria
Anesth Analg 94:1280-7, table of contents. 2002..b>Colloids are usually combined with lactated Ringer's solution (RL)...
- Goal-directed colloid administration improves the microcirculation of healthy and perianastomotic colonOliver Kimberger
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Therapy, Inselspital University Hospital Bern, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 110:496-504. 2009....
- Effects of albumin 5% and artificial colloids on clot formation in small infantsT Haas
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Anaesthesia 62:1000-7. 2007..is often cited in textbooks as the gold standard for fluid replacement in paediatrics, but in practice artificial colloids are more frequently used...
- Coordination-induced formation of submicrometer-scale, monodisperse, spherical colloids of organic-inorganic hybrid materials at room temperatureXuping Sun
State Key Laboratory of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130022, Jilin, PR China
J Am Chem Soc 127:13102-3. 2005..a novel coordination-based strategy to the fabrication of submicrometer-scale, monodisperse, spherical colloids of organic-inorganic hybrid materials, carried out by mixing H2PtCl6 and p-phenylenediamine (PPD) aqueous ..
- Colloid administration normalizes resuscitation ratio and ameliorates "fluid creep"Amanda Lawrence
Burn Trauma ICU, Department of Surgery, University of Utah College of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Burn Care Res 31:40-7. 2010..This practice can be applied selectively as needed using predetermined algorithms...
- The impact of opioid administration on resuscitation volumes in thermally injured patientsLucy Wibbenmeyer
Department of Surgery, The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, UT 52246, USA
J Burn Care Res 31:48-56. 2010..Because increased fluid resuscitation has been associated with adverse consequences in other studies, further research on alternative pain control strategies in thermally injured patients is warranted...
- The inflammatory response to colloids and crystalloids used for pump priming during cardiopulmonary bypassE Tamayo
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Valladolid University Hospital, Valladolid, Spain
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 52:1204-12. 2008..This study tests the hypothesis that the priming of the extracorporeal circuit with colloid solutions results in less inflammation in patients undergoing cardiac surgery than priming with crystalloid solutions...
- A mesoscopic model for protein-protein interactions in solutionMikael Lund
Department of Theoretical Chemistry, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Biophys J 85:2940-7. 2003..With trivalent counterions, attraction of two negatively charged protein molecules can be favored because the repulsive term is decreased for entropic reasons due to the low number of particles present...
- A high-throughput screen for aggregation-based inhibition in a large compound libraryBrian Y Feng
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Graduate Group in Chemistry and Chemical Biology, 1700 4th Street, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158 2330, USA
J Med Chem 50:2385-90. 2007..Third, aggregate-based inhibition is correlated with steep dose-response curves, although not absolutely. The results of this screen are being released publicly via the PubChem database...
- Roles of conformational stability and colloidal stability in the aggregation of recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factorEva Y Chi
Department of Chemical Engineering, Center for Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309 0242, USA
Protein Sci 12:903-13. 2003..rhGCSF aggregation is thus controlled by both conformational stability and colloidal stability, and depending on the solution conditions, either could be rate-limiting...
- Crystalloids versus colloids for goal-directed fluid therapy in major surgeryLuzius B Hiltebrand
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Therapy, Inselspital, Bern University Hospital, Freiburgstrasse, Bern, CH 3010, Switzerland
Crit Care 13:R40. 2009..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of goal-directed administration of crystalloids and colloids on the distribution of systemic, hepatosplanchnic, and microcirculatory (small intestine) blood flow after major ..
- Characterization of overoxidized polypyrrole colloids imprinted with L-lactate and their application to enantioseparation of amino acidsHiroyuki Okuno
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Yamaguchi University, Ube, Japan
Anal Chem 74:4184-90. 2002Overoxidized polypyrrole colloids imprinted with L-lactate were prepared to evaluate the performance of the overoxidation pseudo-template technique developed by the authors...
- Interpreting steep dose-response curves in early inhibitor discoveryBrian K Shoichet
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California San Francisco, 1700 4th Street, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
J Med Chem 49:7274-7. 2006..Most steep dose-response curves in screening may be due to this effect...
- Hyperoncotic colloids and acute kidney injury: a meta-analysis of randomized trialsChristian J Wiedermann
Department of Internal Medicine, Central Hospital of Bolzano, Lorenz Böhler Street 5, 39100 Bolzano, Italy
Crit Care 14:R191. 2010It has been hypothesized that hyperoncotic colloids might contribute to acute kidney injury (AKI). However, the validity of this hypothesis remains unclear.
- Colloid-guided assembly of oriented 3D neuronal networksSophie Pautot
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Life Science Addition 271, Mail Code 3200, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Nat Methods 5:735-40. 2008..Here we demonstrate the use of colloids as moveable supports for neuronal growth, maturation, transfection and manipulation, where the colloids serve as ..
- The impact of crystalloid and colloid infusion on the kidney in rodent sepsisMartin Alexander Schick
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie, Zentrum für Operative Medizin, University of Wurzburg, Oberdürrbacherstrasse 6, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Intensive Care Med 36:541-8. 2010..We therefore determined the impact of crystalloid and colloid solutions on kidney function in a rodent model of abdominal sepsis induced by cecal ligation and puncture (CLP)...
- Silver nanoparticle-E. coli colloidal interaction in water and effect on E. coli survivalA Dror-Ehre
Department of Soil and Water Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot 76100, Israel
J Colloid Interface Sci 339:521-6. 2009..Electrostatic attraction or repulsion mechanisms in silver nanoparticle-E. coli cell interactions did not contribute to the inactivation process...
- Lysozyme catalyzes the formation of antimicrobial silver nanoparticlesD Matthew Eby
Universal Technology Corporation, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, 139 Barnes Drive, Suite 2, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida 32403, USA
ACS Nano 3:984-94. 2009..Stable silver colloids formed after mixing lysozyme and silver acetate in methanol and the resulting nanoparticles were concentrated and ..
- Silver colloid nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization, and their antibacterial activityAles Panacek
Department of Physical Chemistry, Palacky University, Svobody 26, 771 46 Olomouc, Czech Republic
J Phys Chem B 110:16248-53. 2006..Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles was found to be dependent on the size of silver particles. A very low concentration of silver (as low as 1.69 mug/mL Ag) gave antibacterial performance...
- Nanocapsules prepared via nanoprecipitation and emulsification-diffusion methods: comparative studyClaudia Elizabeth Mora-Huertas
Universite de Lyon, F 69622 Lyon, France
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 80:235-9. 2012..In turn, the type of oil governs drug encapsulation efficiency regardless of the method and the size when nanocapsules are prepared by nanoprecipitation...
- Fabrication of robust crystal balls from the electrospray of soft polymer spheres/silica dispersionZhehong Shen
Department of Materials Science and Advanced Coatings Research Center of China Educational Ministry, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Langmuir 26:6604-9. 2010..Neither soft matrix nor post-treatment is needed. The obtained crystal balls have not only excellent mechanical properties to withstand external forces such as cutting, puckering, and bending, but also reversible deformation...
- Single-layer centrifugation through colloid positively modifies the sperm subpopulation structure of frozen-thawed stallion spermatozoaB Macias Garcia
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Laboratory of Spermatology, University of Extremadura, Caceres, Spain
Reprod Domest Anim 44:523-6. 2009..3% of the total. It is concluded that in the equine industry, the SLC is a practical, easy-to-perform approach to improve the quality of equine frozen-thawed semen samples...
- Re-entrant melting as a design principle for DNA-coated colloidsStefano Angioletti-Uberti
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, Lensfield Road, Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
Nat Mater 11:518-22. 2012b>Colloids functionalized with DNA hold great promise as building blocks for complex self-assembling structures...
- Pregnancies following artificial insemination with spermatozoa from problem stallion ejaculates processed by single layer centrifugation with Androcoll-EJ M Morrell
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Reproduction, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Reprod Domest Anim 46:642-5. 2011..Overall, the results suggest that SLC may be useful when preparing AI doses from some 'problem' ejaculates...
- Capillarity-induced ordering of spherical colloids on an interface with anisotropic curvatureDmitry Ershov
Laboratory of Physical Chemistry and Colloid Science, Wageningen University, 6703 HB, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:9220-4. 2013..For micrometer-sized colloids, however, the gravitational force is too small to produce significant interfacial deformations, so capillary ..
- Colloids versus crystalloids for fluid resuscitation in critically ill patientsPablo Perel
Cochrane Injuries Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2:CD000567. 2013Colloid solutions are widely used in fluid resuscitation of critically ill patients. There are several choices of colloid, and there is ongoing debate about the relative effectiveness of colloids compared to crystalloid fluids.
- Light-induced biocidal action of conjugated polyelectrolytes supported on colloidsSireesha Chemburu
Department of Chemical and Nuclear Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 1341, USA
Langmuir 24:11053-62. 2008..The light-induced biocidal activity is also correlated with a requirement for oxygen suggesting that interfacial generation of singlet oxygen is the crucial step in the light-induced biocidal activity...
- Hairpin DNA-functionalized gold colloids for the imaging of mRNA in live cellsAshwath Jayagopal
Department of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37235, USA
J Am Chem Soc 132:9789-96. 2010..hAuNP are a promising approach for the real-time analysis of mRNA transport and processing in live cells for elucidation of biological processes and disease pathogenesis...
- Residence time, loading force, pH, and ionic strength affect adhesion forces between colloids and biopolymer-coated surfacesLi Chong Xu
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Langmuir 21:7491-500. 2005..adhesion forces between two proteins and a polysaccharide [Bovine serum albumin (BSA), lysozyme, or dextran] and colloids (uncoated or BSA-coated carboxylated latex microspheres) were analyzed using colloid probe atomic force ..
- Phase behavior of colloids and proteins in aqueous suspensions: theory and computer simulationsNéstor E Valadez-Pérez
Division de Ciencias e Ingenierias, Campus León, Universidad de Guanajuato, Loma del Bosque 103, Lomas del Campestre, 37150 Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico
J Chem Phys 137:084905. 2012..e., all curves fall in a master curve. Our findings are corroborated with recent experimental data for lysozyme proteins...
- Simple quantitative model for the reversible association of DNA coated colloidsRemi Dreyfus
Center for Soft Matter Research, New York University, New York, NY, USA
Phys Rev Lett 102:048301. 2009We investigate the reversible association of micrometer-sized colloids coated with complementary single-stranded DNA "sticky ends" as a function of the temperature and the sticky end coverage...
- Predicting crystals of Janus colloidsTeun Vissers
Dipartimento di Fisica, Sapienza Università di Roma, Roma, Italy
J Chem Phys 138:164505. 2013We present a numerical study on the phase diagram for a simple model of Janus colloids, including ordered and disordered structures...
- Switchable self-protected attractions in DNA-functionalized colloidsMirjam E Leunissen
Center for Soft Matter Research, Physics Department, New York University, 4 Washington Place, New York 10003, USA
Nat Mater 8:590-5. 2009..With self-protection, both the suspension and assembly product are stable, whereas conventional attractive colloids would quickly aggregate...
- Assembly of lipid bilayers on silica and modified silica colloids by reconstitution of dried lipid filmsEric E Ross
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington 99258, United States
Langmuir 27:8634-44. 2011A method is presented for the assembly of lipid bilayers on silica colloids via reconstitution of dried lipid films solvent-cast from chloroform within packed beds of colloids ranging from 100 nm to 10 μm in diameter...
- Effect of fluid loading with saline or colloids on pulmonary permeability, oedema and lung injury score after cardiac and major vascular surgeryJ Verheij
Department of Intensive Care, Institute for Cardiovascular Research, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Anaesth 96:21-30. 2006..The optimal type of fluid for treating hypovolaemia without evoking pulmonary oedema is still unclear, particularly in the presence of pulmonary vascular injury, as may occur after cardiac and major vascular surgery...
- Contaminant transport in groundwater in the presence of colloids and bacteria: model development and verificationHesham M Bekhit
Irrigation and Hydraulics Department, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University, Orman, Giza, Egypt
J Contam Hydrol 108:152-67. 2009b>Colloids and bacteria (microorganisms) naturally exist in groundwater aquifers and can significantly impact contaminant migration rates...
- Monodisperse colloids synthesized with nanofluidic technologyFlorent Malloggi
MMN, Gulliver, ESPCI 10 rue Vauquelin, 75005 Paris, France
Langmuir 26:2369-73. 2010..We illustrate potential applications in the field of drug delivery by demonstrating the ability of multiple droplets to be phagocytosed by murine macrophage-type cells...
- Controlling crystallization and its absence: proteins, colloids and patchy modelsJonathan P K Doye
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Laboratory, Oxford University, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK OX1 3QZ
Phys Chem Chem Phys 9:2197-205. 2007..behaviour (including its absence) of particles, be they biomolecules such as globular proteins, inorganic colloids, nanoparticles, or metal atoms in an alloy, is of both fundamental and technological importance...
- SERRS and visible extinction spectroscopy of copper chlorophyllin on silver colloids as a function of pHPaul G House
Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin Whitewater, 800 West Main Street, Whitewater, WI 53190, USA
J Colloid Interface Sci 318:145-51. 2008A study of sodium copper chlorophyllin adsorbed on silver colloids (CuChl/Ag) is conducted using surface-enhanced resonance Raman scattering (SERRS) and visible extinction spectroscopy to examine how the system changes as a function of pH...
- Self-assembly of spherical colloids into helical chains with well-controlled handednessYadong Yin
Department of Materials Scienc, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 1700, USA
J Am Chem Soc 125:2048-9. 2003..been combined to provide a generic approach to assemble achiral building blocks such as monodisperse spherical colloids into helical mesostructures...
- Maskless fabrication of nanowells using chemically reactive colloidsNeetu Chaturvedi
Department of Chemical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Nano Lett 11:672-6. 2011..The amidine-functionalized polystyrene latex (APSL) colloids are adhered onto a silicon wafer, and hydrolysis of the particles' amidine groups generates the ammonium ..
- Chemical characterization of alpha-oxohydrazone ligation on colloids: toward grafting molecular addresses onto biological vectorsP Chenevier
Centre de Recherche Paul Pascal, CNRS UPR 8641, av Pr Schweitzer, 33600 Pessac, France
J Am Chem Soc 125:16261-70. 2003..The results were expanded to the realistic case of RGD-peptide coupling to onion vectors. The RGD grafted onion vectors were then tested for their ability to bind endothelial cells in vitro...
- Effects of crystalloids and colloids on liver and intestine microcirculation and function in cecal ligation and puncture induced septic rodentsMartin Alexander Schick
Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
BMC Gastroenterol 12:179. 2012..We therefore investigated the influence of volume resuscitation with different crystalloid or colloid solutions on liver and intestine injury and microcirculation in septic rodents...
- Influence of hydrocolloidal silver nanoparticles on gastrointestinal microflora and morphology of enterocytes of quailsEwa Sawosz
Department of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Division of Histology and Embryology, Warsaw Agricultural University, Poland
Arch Anim Nutr 61:444-51. 2007..Furthermore, Ag-nano did not show any damaging properties on enterocytes of duodenal villi...
- Effective interactions between colloidal particles suspended in a bath of swimming cellsL Angelani
CNR IPCF, UOS Roma c o Dip di Fisica Università Sapienza, Italy
Phys Rev Lett 107:138302. 2011..Using numerical simulations and experiments we show how the features of this interaction arise from the combination of nonequilibrium dynamics (peculiar of bacterial baths) and excluded volume effects...
- Effects of several low-molecular weight organic acids and phosphate on the adsorption of acid phosphatase by soil colloids and mineralsQiaoyun Huang
Faculty of Resources and Environment, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China
Chemosphere 52:571-9. 2003Adsorption of acid phosphatase on goethite, kaolinite and two colloids from the soils in central and south China in the presence of organic acids and phosphate was studied...
- Dietary fiber-rich colloids from apple pomace extraction juices do not affect food intake and blood serum lipid levels, but enhance fecal excretion of steroids in ratsSabine Sembries
German Institute of Human Nutrition, Department of Food Chemistry and Preventive Nutrition, D 14558 Bergholz Rehbrücke, Germany
J Nutr Biochem 15:296-302. 2004The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of colloids isolated from apple pomace extraction juices (so-called B-juices) produced by enzymatic liquefaction on food intake, levels of blood serum lipids, and fecal excretion of ..
- Ag colloids and Ag clusters over EDAPTMS-coated silica nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization, and antibacterial activity against Escherichia coliShiva K Rastogi
Biosensors and Nanotechnology Application Laboratory BNAL, University of Idaho, Coeur d Alene, Coeur d Alene, Idaho, USA
Nanomedicine 7:305-14. 2011..coli O157:H7. Results showed that Ag NPs of 6.6 ± 4.5 nm were attached to the surface of SiO(2) NPs (74 ± 13.5 nm), and the Ag-c NPs (3.5 ± 2 nm) showed excellent antibacterial properties...
- Mobile uranium(IV)-bearing colloids in a mining-impacted wetlandYuheng Wang
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, Environmental Microbiology Laboratory EML, EPFL ENAC IIE EML, Station 6, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Nat Commun 4:2942. 2013..Here we present the first report of mobile U(IV)-bearing colloids in the environment, bringing into question this common assumption...
- Developments in understanding and controlling self assembly of DNA-functionalized colloidsLorenzo Di Michele
Biological and Soft Systems, Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, JJ Thomson Avenue, Cambridge CB3 0HE, UK
Phys Chem Chem Phys 15:3115-29. 2013..computer simulations designed to investigate interactions and aggregation/melting behaviour of DNA-functionalized colloids. The unprecedented insight into the physical effects influencing the interactions and their relation with the ..
- Colloids with high-definition surface structuresHsien Yeh Chen
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:11173-8. 2007..photoresist with a vapor-deposited, photodefinable polymer coating, we have now fabricated microstructured colloids with a wide range of surface patterns, including asymmetric and chiral surface structures, that so far were ..
- Androcoll-E large selects a subset of live stallion spermatozoa capable of producing ROSB Macías-García
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Laboratory of Equine Reproduction, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Extremadura, Caceres, Spain
Anim Reprod Sci 132:74-82. 2012..As the viability, MMP and cell volume remained the same between SLC and UC spermatozoa, we conclude that Androcoll-E large is likely selecting a higher percentage of physiologically O(2)(·-) producing spermatozoa...
- Nanoparticles and colloids as contributing factors in neurodegenerative diseaseStephen C Bondy
Division of Occupational and Environmental Health, Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:2200-11. 2011..Such nanoparticulates and colloids are associated with a range of slow-progressing neurodegenerative states...
- Impairment of renal function using hyperoncotic colloids in a two hit model of shock: a prospective randomized studyTim Philipp Simon
Department of Intensive Care and Intermediate Care, RWTH University Hospital Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Crit Care 16:R16. 2012..The type of solution to be used as a fluid replacement remains under discussion. The aim of the study was to evaluate the effects of clinically used fluid replacement solutions on renal function and inflammatory response...
- Thermoresponsive polymer colloids for drug delivery and cancer therapySamer R Abulateefeh
School of Pharmacy, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
Macromol Biosci 11:1722-34. 2011..In this paper, the key attributes of thermoresponsive polymer colloids are considered, a number of important recent examples are discussed and the possible future developments of these ..
- The effects of colloid solutions on renal proximal tubular cells in vitroWinfried Neuhaus
Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, University Hospital Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 114:371-4. 2012Renal failure is a common complication of critically ill patients. Colloids such as hydroxyethyl starch (HES), gelatin, or albumin are regularly used for intravascular volume resuscitation, but there are increasing reports about the ..
- Ultrasmall mixed ferrite colloids as multidimensional magnetic resonance imaging, cell labeling, and cell sorting agentsErnest V Groman
BioPhysics Assay Laboratory Inc, Worcester, MA 01603, USA
Bioconjug Chem 18:1763-71. 2007..These colloids are designated ultrasmall mixed ferrite iron oxides (USMIOs)...
- Floating liquid phase in sedimenting colloid-polymer mixturesMatthias Schmidt
Soft Condensed Matter, Debye Institute, Utrecht University, Princetonplein 5, 3584 CC Utrecht, The Netherlands
Phys Rev Lett 93:088303. 2004..sedimentation equilibria of colloid-polymer mixtures within the Asakura-Oosawa-Vrij model of hard sphere colloids and ideal polymers...
- Shell-by-shell synthesis of tin oxide hollow colloids with nanoarchitectured walls: cavity size tuning and functionalizationXiong Wen Lou
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853 5201, USA
Small 3:261-5. 2007
- Phase diagram of patchy colloids: towards empty liquidsEmanuela Bianchi
Dipartimento di Fisica and CNR INFM SMC, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Piazzale A Moro 2, Roma, Italy
Phys Rev Lett 97:168301. 2006..e., stable equilibrium gels...
- Concentrating colloids with electric field gradients. I. Particle transport and growth mechanism of hard-sphere-like crystals in an electric bottleMirjam E Leunissen
Soft Condensed Matter, Debye Institute for NanoMaterials Science, Utrecht University, Princetonplein 5, 3584 CC Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Chem Phys 128:164508. 2008..Inside a specially designed "electric bottle," we observed our colloids to collect in the regions of lowest field strength ("negative dielectrophoresis")...
- Band-edge exciton fine structure of small, nearly spherical colloidal CdSe/ZnS quantum dotsIwan Moreels
IBM Research Zurich, Saumerstrasse 4, CH 8803 Ruschlikon, Switzerland
ACS Nano 5:8033-9. 2011..From the experimental and theoretical data we conclude that shape anisotropy and exchange interactions dominate over the crystal field anisotropy-induced splitting in this size range...
- Modulation of oxidative stress and microinflammatory status by colloids in refractory dialytic hypotensionGuy Rostoker
Service de Nephrologie et de Dialyse, hôpital privé Claude Galien, 20 Route de Boussy, 91480 Quincy sous Sénart, France
BMC Nephrol 12:58. 2011..The aim of this study was therefore to analyze the effect of 20% albumin and 4% gelatin infusions on oxidative stress and microinflammatory status in hypotension-prone patients unresponsive to usual preventive measures...
- A simple and 'green' synthesis of polymer-based silver colloids and their antibacterial propertiesLili Bo
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Academy of West China Resources Utilization, Northwest Normal University, Lanzhou 730070, P R China
Chem Biodivers 6:111-6. 2009Stable silver colloids were prepared using polyethylene glycol (PEG) as an environment friendly reduction agent and stabilizer, and with H2O as solvent...
- Translymphatic chemotherapy by intrapleural placement of gelatin sponge containing biodegradable Paclitaxel colloids controls lymphatic metastasis in lung cancerJiang Liu
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Res 69:1174-81. 2009..Translymphatic-targeted drug delivery significantly decreases lymphatic metastasis in an orthotopic lung cancer model. This effect may be attributable to the improved distribution of PTX to the lymphatic system...
- Restoration of seminal plasma to stallion spermatozoa selected by colloid centrifugation increases sperm progressive motility but is detrimental to chromatin integrityJ M Morrell
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences SLU, Clinical Sciences, Department of Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochemistry, Uppsala, Sweden
Theriogenology 78:345-52. 2012..However, it should be added immediately before insemination rather than before storage of the sperm dose, to benefit from the transient increase in sperm progressive motility and avoid increased chromatin damage...
- Observation of condensed phases of quasiplanar core-softened colloidsN Osterman
Department of Physics, University of Ljubljana, Jadranska 19, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Phys Rev Lett 99:248301. 2007..Further insight into their structure is provided by Monte Carlo simulations...
- Choice of colloidal solutions in dengue hemorrhagic fever patientsSiripen Kalayanarooj
WHO Collaborating Centre for Case Management of Dengue DHF DSS, Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health, College of Medicine, Rangsit University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:S97-103. 2008..There is only one colloidal solution, 10% Dextran-40 in NSS that proved to be effective for this group of DHF patients...
- Aggregation-disaggregation transition of DNA-coated colloids: experiments and theoryRemi Dreyfus
Center for Soft Matter Research, New York University, New York, New York 10003, USA
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 81:041404. 2010b>Colloids coated with complementary single-stranded DNA "sticky ends" associate and dissociate upon heating...
- A novel composite hydrogel based on chitosan and inorganic phosphate for local drug delivery of camptothecin nanocolloidsXingYi Li
State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy and Cancer Center, West China Hospital, West China Medical School, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
J Pharm Sci 100:232-41. 2011..Furthermore, in vitro cytotoxicity of CPT nanocolloids on SKOV3 human ovarian cancer cells suggested the well anti-tumor cell efficiency could be gained at a lower concentration...
- Highly nonlinear dynamics in a slowly sedimenting colloidal gelG Brambilla
Universite Montpellier 2, Laboratoire Charles Coulomb UMR 5221, F 34095, Montpellier, France
Phys Rev Lett 106:118302. 2011..techniques and particles with unique optical properties to investigate the behavior of suspensions of attractive colloids under gravitational stress, following over time the concentration profile, the velocity profile, and the ..
- Adsorption, immobilization, and activity of beta-glucosidase on different soil colloidsJinlong Yan
Institute of Resource, Ecosystem and Environment of Agriculture, Nanjing Agricultural University, 1 Weigang, Nanjing 210095, China
J Colloid Interface Sci 348:565-70. 2010..process in a soil environment, the adsorption, immobilization, and activity of beta-glucosidase on various soil colloids from a paddy soil were studied...
- Versatile and efficient formation of colloids of biopolymer-based polyelectrolyte complexesChristophe Schatz
Unité Mixte CNRS BioMérieux, UMR 2142, ENS Lyon, 46, Allee d Italie, 69364 Cedex 07, France
Biomacromolecules 5:1882-92. 2004The formation of colloids based on polyelectrolyte complexes (PECs) of biopolymers was investigated through the complexation between two charged polysaccharides, chitosan as polycation, and dextran sulfate as polyanion...
- Effect of wastewater colloids on membrane removal of antibiotic resistance genesMaria V Riquelme Breazeal
Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Water Res 47:130-40. 2013..study examined the potential for membrane treatment of microconstituent ARGs and the effect of native wastewater colloids on the extent of their removal...
- Influence of fluctuating membranes on self-assembly of patchy colloidsRichard Matthews
Faculty of Physics, University of Vienna, Boltzmanngasse 5, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Phys Rev Lett 109:178302. 2012..In the less deformable regime, we observe no marked enhancement for cores, even for strong adhesion to the surface. For clathrinlike particles, we again observe the formation of buds, whose morphology depends on membrane flexibility...
- Dynamical arrest in attractive colloids: the effect of long-range repulsionAndrew I Campbell
School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TS, United Kingdom
Phys Rev Lett 94:208301. 2005..Our findings imply that dynamical arrest occurs via cluster growth and association...
- On the development of colloidal nanoparticles towards multifunctional structures and their possible use for biological applicationsTeresa Pellegrino
Center for Nanoscience, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Small 1:48-63. 2005..In particular, we will place emphasis on the creation of multifunctional nanoparticles or nanoparticle assemblies...
- Colloids and crystalloids: does it matter to the kidney?Anthony M Roche
Department of Anesthesiology, DUMC 3094, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Curr Opin Crit Care 15:520-4. 2009..To highlight some of the recent key issues surrounding crystalloid and colloid fluid management of critically ill patients...
- Complex nanostructures synthesized from nanoparticle colloids under an external electric fieldPeisheng Liu
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of ASCI Design, Nantong University, Nantong 226019, P R China
Nanoscale 3:3933-40. 2011..The mechanism investigation is also important in understanding the assembly behavior of nanoparticles in the colloid under an external electric filed...
- The influence of colloids on the geochemical behavior of metals in polluted water using as an example Yongdingxin River, Tianjin, ChinaHuimin Ren
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Aquatic Chemistry, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P O Box 2871, Beijing 100085, China
Chemosphere 78:360-7. 2010The role of colloids in estuarine and marine systems has been studied extensively in recent years, whereas less is known about the polluted freshwater system...
- Detection of engineered nanomaterials in drinking water, food, commercial productPaul K Westerhoff; Fiscal Year: 2010..To support this hypothesis we will exploit techniques initially developed to quantify natural aquatic colloids (i.e., NMs) and organic pollutants...
- Keratin biomaterial-based fluid for trauma resuscitationLUKE BURNETT; Fiscal Year: 2010..unlike conventional saline which is not oncotic]. The use of human hair keratin proteins as colloids offers the potential to maintain FCD better than conventional fluids...
- CRCNS: Receptor mobility and scaffold dynamics at single glutamatergic synapsesSridhar Raghavachari; Fiscal Year: 2013..from Aim 1 to allow for measured characteristics using techniques developed to model physical systems such as colloids. Specific Aim 3: Test whether alterations in scaffold density, spacing, and mobility affect receptor mobility and ..
- Layer-by-layer nanocarriers for highly efficient solubilization of insoluble drugVladimir P Torchilin; Fiscal Year: 2013..We plan LbL coatings to make stable aqueous colloids of poorly soluble drugs with high stability, controllable release rate, and very high content (up to 90% wt) of ..
- In Vivo Molecular Imaging of the RetinaAshwath Jayagopal; Fiscal Year: 2013..The strategy is based on hairpin functionalized gold nanoparticles (hAuNP), biocompatible gold colloids engineered to enter living tissues and fluoresce upon hybridization with targeted messenger RNA (mRNA) or ..
- A Specific Mechanism for Non-Specific InhibitionBrian K Shoichet; Fiscal Year: 2013..These colloids inhibit soluble proteins without specificity but with shared mechanism: adsorbing and partially denaturing them;..
- Inorganic Nanoparticles in Non-Polymeric Organic Coating for Biomedical ApplicatiGALINA Z GOLOVERDA; Fiscal Year: 2012..on the market today utilize biocompatible polymers which wrap these particles and therefore stabilize their colloids. Since polymers attach to the particle surface randomly, they must be large in order to provide a sufficient ..
- Center for Transport OncophysicsMauro Ferrari; Fiscal Year: 2013..novel systems and approaches developed within the CTO (multi-stage systems, nanoshuttles, carbon nanotubes, gold colloids, oral administration carriers) in the respective animal models. The proposed CTO will feature: 1...
- DEVELOPMENT OF RADIATION SYNOVECTOMY IN ARTHRITISClement Sledge; Fiscal Year: 1992..Potential isotopes include rhenium 188 and yttrium-90; carriers include FHMA, sulfur colloids and lipophilic complexes...
- Neuroblastoma-Specific MRI Contrast AgentsStephan Voss; Fiscal Year: 2007..MIONs are ultrasmall (approximately 20 nm hydrodynamic radius) dextran-coated iron oxide superparamagnetic colloids that alter T2-weighted MRI contrast enhancement...
- ISOVOLEMIC HEMODILUTION IN CEREBRAL ISCHEMIARoberto Heros; Fiscal Year: 1991..the effects of fluid replacement with crystalloids (Ringer's lactate-RL) and compare them with the effects of colloids (low molecular weight dextran-LMD) in a model of focal cerebral ischemia...
- PET Evaluation of Hemorrhagic Shock and ResuscitationVibhudutta Awasthi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Crystalloids or colloids are commonly used and these fluids augment O2 delivery only by increasing preload...
- PND (POLYNITROXYL-DEXTRAN): GUT PROTECTION AFTER SHOCKCARLETON HSIA; Fiscal Year: 1999b>Colloids are a mainstay of shock resuscitation, but recent evidence suggests that because of ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) damage to the vascular endothelium, current colloid therapy may be problematic in some critically ill patients; ..
- RECEPTOR BINDING RADIOTRACER FOR SENTINEL NODE IMAGINGDavid Vera; Fiscal Year: 1999..99mTc]Antimony-trisulfide colloid (TcATC) and filtered colloids do not exhibit these properties...
- HEPATOCYTE ASIALOGLYCOPROTEIN RECEPTOR ASSAYErnest Groman; Fiscal Year: 2000..Anatomical information related to liver function obtained by using radioactive and magnetic colloids (MRI) has proven to be both costly and relatively ineffective...
- Fluorophore-Metallic Colloid Conjugates for Medical ImagZygmunt Gryczynski; Fiscal Year: 2006..We now propose to develop complexes of indocyanine green (ICG)with silver, gold or other nobel metal colloids for use as improved optical contrast agents for retinal angiography and imaging of cardiac vasculature...
- Fluorophore-Metallic Colloid Conjugates for Medical ImagZygmunt Gryczynski; Fiscal Year: 2003..We now propose to develop complexes of indocyanine green (ICG)with silver, gold or other nobel metal colloids for use as improved optical contrast agents for retinal angiography and imaging of cardiac vasculature...
- Oxygen Carriers for Hypovolemic Circulatory CollapseRobert Winslow; Fiscal Year: 2007..Reexpansion of the vascular volume can be achieved by conventional colloids or crystalloids, but unless O2 is resupplied to tissue within the first hour following injury, irreversible ..
- Metallic Nanosensor Matrix with Enhanced FluorescenceHENRY SZMACINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2003..The sensing technology relies on the interaction of light with metallic nanoparticles such as silver and gold colloids resulting in remarkably high increases in fluorescence intensity of nearby fluorophores of up to 10 Million-fold...
- Stability of new, iron-replete total nutrient admixturesDeanna Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Currently approved parenteral iron colloids (e.g...
- US Detection of Sentinel Lymph Nodes in MelanomaBarry Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..to detect the SLN, with the currently used techniques being peritumoral injection of radiolabeled (Tc-99m) sulfur colloids (i.e., lymphoscintigraphy) or blue dyes...
- The Glycocalyx and Endothelial Barrier RegulationRANDAL DULL; Fiscal Year: 2005..For example, novel resuscitation fluids composed of synthetic colloids could be developed that exploit cell-surface glycoprotein binding in order to normalize capillary permeability...
- FIELD-FLOW FRACTIONATION IN BIOCHEMICAL ANALYSISKarin Caldwell; Fiscal Year: 1992The fractionation and accurate size characterization of biological colloids and macromolecules of high molecular weight will be pursued using the methods of sedimentation FFF, and where necessary, flow FFF...
- LIVER REGENERATION AS A MODEL FOR ANGIOGENESISDonna Stolz; Fiscal Year: 2002..SEC membranes of the liver will be non-covalently derivatized by perfusion of blood vessels with cationic colloids at specific times following PHx...
- FLUID PRESSURE AND EXCLUDED VOLUMES IN LUNGJames Parker; Fiscal Year: 1991..The role of polycation infusion (protamine sulphate, the charge on plasma colloids, and serum permeability factors in charge related permselectivity and overall microvascular protein and water ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A FLUORESCENCE-BASED BIOFLUID VISCOMETERMark Haidekker; Fiscal Year: 2005..When measuring biofluids, which contain large amounts of proteins and/or colloids, protein deposition at the instrument surface introduces errors, as does the protein interaction at the liquid/..
- Phase I trial of PHP with high-dose IL-2Wolfram Samlowski; Fiscal Year: 2006..Patients treated with high-dose IL-2 require hospitalization for close monitoring and administration of fluids, colloids and pressor medications to treat low blood pressure that occurs in a dose dependent manner...
- DEVELOPMENT OF A FLUORESCENCE-BASED BIOFLUID VISCOMETERMark Haidekker; Fiscal Year: 2003..When measuring biofluids, which contain large amounts of proteins and/or colloids, protein deposition at the instrument surface introduces errors, as does the protein interaction at the liquid/..
- CAGED METAL CLUSTER AND COLLOID IMMUNOPROBESRichard Powell; Fiscal Year: 1993..Methods are proposed for the chemically controlled growth of large bimetallic cluster complexes and colloids by catalytic metal deposition and ligand capping, and for the preparation of heavy atom cluster complexes and ..
- Cardiac marker using a Lab-in-a-tube systemBERTRAND LEMIEUX; Fiscal Year: 2003..to two orders of magnitude more capture molecules than other protein coating methods and protein activity on the colloids is stable for over six months, even when stored under desiccated conditions...
- DNA ASSAYS BASED ON NANOPARTICLE ASSEMBLIESROBERT LETSINGER; Fiscal Year: 2000..aims: (i) to build a firm scientific base for understanding the surface chemistry involving nanoparticle (colloids), nanoparticle-oligonucleotide conjugates, and oligo-and polynucleotides; (ii) to use this knowledge to develop a ..
- RECEPTOR DIRECTED SUPERPARAMAGNETIC MRI CONTRAST AGENTSKENNETH PAUL; Fiscal Year: 1992..These agents will consist of peptides attached to small, biodegradable superparamagnetic iron oxide colloids. The biodistribution of the superparamagnetic iron oxide label will be determined by the peptide on the surface ..
- HEPATOCYTE SPECIFIC MR CONTRAST AGENTSLee Josephson; Fiscal Year: 1991..Surface functionalized superparamagnetic iron oxide colloids may prove to be a broad class of MR contrast agents, targeted to a variety of receptors (and tissues) in vivo.
- Promiscuous and Specific Inhibitors of CruzainBrian Shoichet; Fiscal Year: 2007..We test a rapid method to detect these artifacts, which should significantly advance this critical technique. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Systems Engineering of Pheresis Intervention for SepsisJohn Kellum; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will also call on the expertise of two companies, one specializing in adsorbent polymer technology (MedaSorb Technologies, LLC) and the other in complex systems modeling (Immunetrics, Inc.). ..
- Bioengineering of the blood-brain barrier permeabilitySerguei Vinogradov; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Comparative In Vivo Biodistribution of Characterized Manufactured NanomaterialsNancy A Monteiro Riviere; Fiscal Year: 2010..These coordinated studies will provide data to link physical chemical characterizations to in vivo MNM disposition. ..
- CT/SPECT/PET imaging system for small animal studiesMassoud Motamedi; Fiscal Year: 2007..These efforts are of great and generalizable public health interest. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biological Markers of Recovery for the KidneyJohn A Kellum; Fiscal Year: 2010..For analyses requiring serial samples and urine samples, we propose to study a subset of trial patients enrolled at 5 sites who consent to additional sample collection (208 patients) ..
- Cross-linked Polymer Micelles in Cancer TherapyTatiana K Bronich; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is anticipated that these studies will lead to the design of new formulation of cisplatin for improved cancer treatment. ..
- Non-invasive beta-cell imaging using a Ga-68-labeled glucagone-like peptide-1 anaMartin Gotthardt; Fiscal Year: 2008..Apart from proof-of-principle studies in healthy volunteers and diabetes type I and II patients, a dosimetric method will be established to simply and reliably quantify beta-cell mass by PET imaging. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- High-resolution optical imaging assessment of microbicide toxicityMassoud Motamedi; Fiscal Year: 2008..We also plan to use the developed imaging protocol to assess the performance of novel microbicides in small animal models as new products are developed. ..
- Neurodegenration and Mitochnodrial Dysfunction in AgingStephen Bondy; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is also likely to be relevant to slowing the onset of, and reducing the incidence of, several neurodegenerative diseases where age is a major co-factor. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Functional Materials Through Bottom-Up Self-Assembly - 2007 Supramolecules & AsseJohn Texter; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Polymer-Nucleotide Complexes with Cytotoxic ActivitySerguei Vinogradov; Fiscal Year: 2007..Application of the drug forms may help to prevent many of the known chemotherapy side effects. Data accumulated in these studies can be directly used for design of better systemic formulations of cytotoxic nucleotide drugs. ..
- Biohazard Detection Using Metal-Enhanced FluorescenceJoseph Lakowicz; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will include: examination of silver island films and colloids to determine the optimal size and shape for enhanced emission; evaluation of the optimal distance from the ..
- Bioengineering Methods to Study Blood SubstitutesAnthony Cheung; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Dynamics of Peritoneal Dialysis Associated PeritonitisJohn Hotchkiss; Fiscal Year: 2004..Prolonged courses of antibiotic therapy required by compromised host defenses may render the dialysis population an effective "incubator" for drug resistant microorganisms. ..
- IGG PLACENTAL TRANSPORT: ENDOTHELIAL CAVEOLAEJohn Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our approaches to testing the predictions of this hypothesis incorporate methods of cell biology, immunology, biochemistry, ultrastructural analysis, and molecular biology. ..
- SEGREGATION IN COMPLEX BIOLOGICAL SYSTEMSMonica Olvera de la Cruz; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also design and synthesize molecular structures to be used to determine experimentally the stability of these aggregates near surfaces by using x-ray standing waves and x-ray reflectivity. ..
- ONCOTIC PRESSURE AND EXTRAVASCULAR LUNG WATER IN ARDSGregory Martin; Fiscal Year: 2004..This trial could advance our understanding of factors affecting fluid balance in patients with ARDS and has the potential to change clinical practice standards. ..
- Skin Cooling to Improve Orthostatic ToleranceCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Annual Meeting of the NCRR P41 Principal InvestigatorsJoseph Lakowicz; Fiscal Year: 2005..Based on the success of this years meeting the annual P41 meeting will become a valued event for the PIs which will serve to minimize overlap and foster collaborations between the Centers. ..
- FREE RADICALS IN MENTAL HEALTH & NEUROBIOLOGYStephen Bondy; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term support of this series of annual meetings will permit better planning for meeting organizers, attendees, students, and publishers. ..
- Self-immobilizing ProteinsRussell Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2005..The widely expected future impact of protein arrays on clinical diagnosis and other areas of human health care may be realized more quickly with new and effective protein modification technology. ..
- Dynamically Crosslinked HydrogelsRussell Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2006..These novel hydrogels may find wide ranging biomedical applications in drug delivery, as active surface coatings or microactuators in medical devices. ..
- CENTER FOR FLUORESCENCE SPECTROSCOPYJoseph Lakowicz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Abstract Not Provided. ..
- Signaling activities of amelogenin gene splice products.Arthur Veis; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this revision, more experimental details have been provided. ..
- CFS Course on Fluorescence SpectroscopyJoseph Lakowicz; Fiscal Year: 2006..They also plan to send announcements to other P41 centers to encourage collaborations between centers. They are requesting funds adequate to provide 10 complete fee waivers in the first year, growing to 18 waivers in the fifth year. ..
- Metal-Enhanced Fluorescence SensingJoseph Lakowicz; Fiscal Year: 2006..b. Develop RET immunoassays for PSA (or ACT-PSA) with the capture and detection antibodies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ALUMINUM/IRON INTERACTIONS IN NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASEStephen Bondy; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together, these five objectives delineate a research strategy that will allow resolution of the seemingly contradictory evidence relating aluminum to neurological degeneration. ..
- Chemotherapy Drug AnalyzerStuart Farquharson; Fiscal Year: 2002..In Phase II a prototype bed-side analyzer will be engineered and head-to-head comparisons to existing technology will be performed. ..