Genomes and Genes
Summary: Salts and esters of butyric acid
Publications279 found, 100 shown here
- Review article: the role of butyrate on colonic functionH M Hamer
TI Food and Nutrition, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 27:104-19. 2008..Butyrate is an important energy source for intestinal epithelial cells and plays a role in the maintenance of colonic homeostasis...
- Inhibition of histone deacetylase activity by butyrateJames R Davie
Manitoba Institute of Cell Biology, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Nutr 133:2485S-2493S. 2003..Pending the cell background, the nonproliferating cells may enter differentiation or apoptotic pathways. The potential of butyrate and HDAC inhibitors in the prevention and treatment of cancer is presented...
- Diversity, metabolism and microbial ecology of butyrate-producing bacteria from the human large intestinePetra Louis
Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 294:1-8. 2009..Populations of F. prausnitzii are reported to be decreased in Crohn's disease, for example, while populations of Roseburia relatives appear to be particularly sensitive to the diet composition in human volunteer studies...
- Butyrate improves insulin sensitivity and increases energy expenditure in miceZhanguo Gao
Antioxidant and Gene Regulation Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Diabetes 58:1509-17. 2009..We examined the role of butyric acid, a short-chain fatty acid formed by fermentation in the large intestine, in the regulation of insulin sensitivity in mice fed a high-fat diet...
- The microbiology of butyrate formation in the human colonSusan E Pryde
Rowett Research Institute, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 217:133-9. 2002....
- Butyrate enhances the intestinal barrier by facilitating tight junction assembly via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in Caco-2 cell monolayersLuying Peng
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
J Nutr 139:1619-25. 2009..This dynamic process is mediated by the activation of AMPK. These results suggest an intriguing link between SCFA and the intracellular energy sensor for the development of the intestinal barrier...
- Butyrate induces profound changes in gene expression related to multiple signal pathways in bovine kidney epithelial cellsRobert W Li
Bovine Functional Genomics Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
BMC Genomics 7:234. 2006..These oligonucleotides represent approximately 45,383 unique cattle sequences...
- HDAC inhibition prevents NF-kappa B activation by suppressing proteasome activity: down-regulation of proteasome subunit expression stabilizes I kappa B alphaRobert F Place
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Connecticut, 91 North Eagleville Road, U 3125, Storrs, CT 06269 3125, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 70:394-406. 2005..This information may be useful for the further development and targeting of HDAC inhibitors as anti-neoplastic and anti-inflammatory agents...
- The luminal short-chain fatty acid butyrate modulates NF-kappaB activity in a human colonic epithelial cell lineM S Inan
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut, USA
Gastroenterology 118:724-34. 2000..Because butyrate deficiency has been associated with inflammatory bowel disease, we examined the effect of butyrate on NF-kappaB activity in the human HT-29 colonic cell line...
- Effects of butyrate on intestinal barrier function in a Caco-2 cell monolayer model of intestinal barrierLuying Peng
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Pediatr Res 61:37-41. 2007..e. whereas low concentrations of butyrate may be beneficial in promoting intestinal barrier function, excessive butyrate may induce severe intestinal epithelial cell apoptosis and disrupt intestinal barrier...
- Metabolite stress and tolerance in the production of biofuels and chemicals: gene-expression-based systems analysis of butanol, butyrate, and acetate stresses in the anaerobe Clostridium acetobutylicumKeith V Alsaker
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 105:1131-47. 2010....
- Enhanced translocation of bacteria across metabolically stressed epithelia is reduced by butyrateKimberley Lewis
Gastrointestinal Research Group, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Calvin, Phoebe and Joan Snyder Institute of Infection, Inflammation and Immunology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Inflamm Bowel Dis 16:1138-48. 2010..Thus, we hypothesized that the short-chain fatty acid, butyrate, is important in the maintenance and regulation of the barrier function of the colonic epithelium...
- Butyrate-producing Clostridium cluster XIVa species specifically colonize mucins in an in vitro gut modelPieter Van den Abbeele
Laboratory of Microbial Ecology and Technology LabMET, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
ISME J 7:949-61. 2013..Finally, as mucosal butyrate producers produce butyrate close to the epithelium, they may enhance butyrate bioavailability, which could be useful in treating diseases, such as inflammatory bowel disease...
- Mechanisms of primary cancer prevention by butyrate and other products formed during gut flora-mediated fermentation of dietary fibreDaniel Scharlau
Institute for Nutrition, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Dornburger Strasse 24, 07743 Jena, Germany
Mutat Res 682:39-53. 2009..Additional animal and human studies are needed to define the exact role of dietary fibre and butyrate in inducing GST activity and reducing the risk of colon cancer...
- The regulation of intestinal mucin MUC2 expression by short-chain fatty acids: implications for epithelial protectionNanda Burger-Van Paassen
Department of Pediatrics, Erasmus MC Sophia, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Biochem J 420:211-9. 2009..In conclusion, 1 mM butyrate and 1-15 mM propionate increase MUC2 expression. The effects of butyrate on MUC2 mRNA are mediated via AP-1 and acetylation/methylation of histones at the MUC2 promoter...
- GPR109A is a G-protein-coupled receptor for the bacterial fermentation product butyrate and functions as a tumor suppressor in colonMuthusamy Thangaraju
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Cancer Res 69:2826-32. 2009..These studies show that GPR109A mediates the tumor-suppressive effects of the bacterial fermentation product butyrate in colon...
- [Regulation of histone acetylation on the expression of cell cycle-associated genes in human colon cancer cell lines]Ying Xuan Chen
Renji Hospital, Shanghai Institute of Digestive Disease, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200001, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 84:312-7. 2004..To investigate the effects of histone acetylation on the expression of p21(WAF1) and p16(INK4A) genes in two human colon cancer cell lines...
- Butyrate elicits a metabolic switch in human colon cancer cells by targeting the pyruvate dehydrogenase complexJean Marc Blouin
INSERM UMR S 747, Universite Paris Descartes, Centre Universitaire des Saints Peres, Paris, France
Int J Cancer 128:2591-601. 2011....
- Potent antiandrogen and androgen receptor activities of an Angelica gigas-containing herbal formulation: identification of decursin as a novel and active compound with implications for prevention and treatment of prostate cancerCheng Jiang
Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, Austin, Minnesota 55912, USA
Cancer Res 66:453-63. 2006..The novel antiandrogen and AR activities of decursin and decursin-containing herbal extracts have significant implications for the chemoprevention and treatment of prostate cancer and other androgen-dependent diseases...
- The microbe-derived short chain fatty acid butyrate targets miRNA-dependent p21 gene expression in human colon cancerShien Hu
The Martin Boyer Laboratories, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16221. 2011..We conclude that microbe-derived SCFAs regulate host gene expression involved in intestinal homeostasis as well as carcinogenesis through modulation of miRNAs...
- Cellular and physiological effects of short-chain fatty acidsSteven J Miller
Clarian Health Partners, Inc, 1812 N Capital Ave Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Mini Rev Med Chem 4:839-45. 2004..Butyrate or derivatives have promise for treating inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer. Genomic and proteomic analysis have generated new knowledge on function and applications for SCFA...
- Involvement of different nuclear hormone receptors in butyrate-mediated inhibition of inducible NF kappa B signallingMarkus Schwab
First Department of Medicine ZAFES, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Mol Immunol 44:3625-32. 2007..Therefore, we investigated a putative involvement of both receptors in butyrate-mediated inhibition of inducible NF kappa B signalling...
- Butyrate reduces colonic paracellular permeability by enhancing PPARgamma activationMako Kinoshita
The Second Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 0856, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:827-31. 2002..01). These findings suggest that the effect of butyrate on paracellular permeability has apparently taken place through PPARgamma activation and this effect attributes to preventing inflammation of the colon...
- Antidepressant-like effects of the histone deacetylase inhibitor, sodium butyrate, in the mouseFrederick A Schroeder
Brudnick Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:55-64. 2007..We investigated whether the histone deacetylase inhibitor sodium butyrate (SB) administered as single drug or in combination with the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) fluoxetine exerts antidepressant-like effects in mice...
- The butyrate story: old wine in new bottles?Wolfgang Scheppach
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Wuerzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, D 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 7:563-7. 2004..The purpose of this article is to review the literature between March 2003 and February 2004 and to determine if recent studies have improved the understanding of butyrate effects in health and disease...
- Butyrate promotes induced pluripotent stem cell generationGaoyang Liang
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7295, USA
J Biol Chem 285:25516-21. 2010..Thus, our study identifies butyrate as a chemical factor capable of promoting iPS cell generation...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha regulates fatty acid utilization in primary human skeletal muscle cellsDeborah M Muoio
Department of Medicine and Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Diabetes 51:901-9. 2002..These results demonstrate a role for hPPAR-alpha in regulating muscle lipid homeostasis...
- Recurrent chemical reactivations of EBV promotes genome instability and enhances tumor progression of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cellsChih Yeu Fang
National Institute of Cancer Research, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Taiwan
Int J Cancer 124:2016-25. 2009..These results suggest that recurrent EBV reactivations may result in accumulation of genome instability and promote the tumor progression of NPC...
- Histone deactylase inhibition combined with behavioral therapy enhances learning and memory following traumatic brain injuryP K Dash
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, The University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX 77225, USA
Neuroscience 163:1-8. 2009....
- The activation of beta-catenin by Wnt signaling mediates the effects of histone deacetylase inhibitorsMichael Bordonaro
Department of Pharmacology and Developmental Therapeutics Program, Cancer Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Exp Cell Res 313:1652-66. 2007..Results from comparative studies between HDACi-resistant and HDACi-sensitive cells suggest that non-histone targets of HDACis mediate the effects on Wnt signaling and apoptosis...
- Butyrate metabolism upstream and downstream acetyl-CoA synthesis and growth control of human colon carcinoma cellsX Leschelle
Laboratoire de Nutrition et Securite Alimentaire, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Jouy en Josas, France
Eur J Biochem 267:6435-42. 2000..In contrast, the metabolism downstream of acetyl-CoA [i.e. oxidation in the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle and lipid synthesis] likely acts as a regulator of butyrate intracellular concentration...
- Histone deacetylase inhibitors all induce p21 but differentially cause tubulin acetylation, mitotic arrest, and cytotoxicityMikhail V Blagosklonny
Brander Cancer Research Institute, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 1:937-41. 2002..We conclude that HDIs have differential effects on non-histone deacetylases and that rapid acetylation of tubulin caused by TSA is a marker of nontranscriptional effects of TSA...
- Dose-dependent reduction of dietary protein-induced colonocyte DNA damage by resistant starch in rats correlates more highly with caecal butyrate than with other short chain fatty acidsShusuke Toden
CSIRO Human Nutrition and CSIRO Food Futures National Research Flagship, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Cancer Biol Ther 6:253-8. 2007..These data show that HAMS prevents protein-induced colonic DNA damage in a dose-dependent manner. Inclusion of 10% HAMS was found to be sufficient to oppose colonocyte DNA damage, and to increase caecal and fecal SCFA pools...
- Butyrate modulates oxidative stress in the colonic mucosa of healthy humansHenrike M Hamer
TI Food and Nutrition, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Clin Nutr 28:88-93. 2009..This study evaluates whether butyrate plays a role in oxidative stress in the healthy colonic mucosa...
- Sodium butyrate inhibits Staphylococcus aureus internalization in bovine mammary epithelial cells and induces the expression of antimicrobial peptide genesAlejandra Ochoa-Zarzosa
Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo, Administración Chapultepec, Centro Multidisciplinario de Estudios en Biotecnología, Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
Microb Pathog 47:1-7. 2009..To our knowledge, this is the first report that shows a role of sodium butyrate during the internalization of S. aureus into bMEC...
- Genome-wide ChIP-seq mapping and analysis reveal butyrate-induced acetylation of H3K9 and H3K27 correlated with transcription activity in bovine cellsJoo Heon Shin
Lieber Institute for Brain Development, Johns Hopkins University, 855 North Wolfe Street, Suite 102, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Funct Integr Genomics 12:119-30. 2012..Our results reveal that butyrate-induced acetylation in H3K9 and H3K27 changes the sequence-based binding preference of histone H3 and underlies the potential mechanisms of gene expression regulation induced by butyrate...
- Butyrates and decitabine cooperate to induce histone acetylation and granulocytic maturation of t(8;21) acute myeloid leukemia blastsAntonella Gozzini
UF Ematologia, Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Policlinico di Careggi, Florence, Italy
Ann Hematol 84:54-60. 2005....
- Drug-induced inactivation or gene silencing of class I histone deacetylases suppresses ovarian cancer cell growth: implications for therapyDineo Khabele
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee 37208, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 6:795-801. 2007..Taken together, the present studies offer several novel findings that have direct relevance for the strategic use of inhibitors that target Class I HDACs, particularly HDAC3, in the treatment of ovarian cancer...
- Acetylated, propionylated or butyrylated starches raise large bowel short-chain fatty acids preferentially when fed to ratsGeoffrey Annison
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide 5000 Australia
J Nutr 133:3523-8. 2003..These data indicate that acylated starches are resistant starch (RS) and raise large bowel SCFA, apparently through bacterial release of the esterified fatty acid and fermentation of the residual starch...
- Butyrylated starch protects colonocyte DNA against dietary protein-induced damage in ratsBalazs H Bajka
Preventative Health National Research Flagship, Adelaide, South Australia
Carcinogenesis 29:2169-74. 2008..Delivery of butyrate to the large bowel by HAMSB could reduce colorectal cancer risk by preventing diet-induced colonocyte genetic damage...
- Isolation of lactate-utilizing butyrate-producing bacteria from human feces and in vivo administration of Anaerostipes caccae strain L2 and galacto-oligosaccharides in a rat modelTadashi Sato
Yakult Central Institute for Microbiological Research, Yaho, Kunitachi shi, Tokyo, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 66:528-36. 2008..The results suggest that synbiotic ingestion of lactate-utilizing butyrate-producers and GOS alters the microbial fermentation and promotes the formation of beneficial fermentation acids, including butyrate, in the gut...
- Two hour exposure to sodium butyrate sensitizes bladder cancer to anticancer drugsDegui Wang
Institute of Urology, Lanzhou University Second Hospital, and School of Basic Medical Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, Gansu, China
Int J Urol 15:435-41. 2008..To investigate the inhibitory effect of sodium butyrate (NaB) on the proliferation of human bladder cancer cell lines and its synergetic effect with anticancer drugs in treating bladder cancer in vitro and in vivo...
- Protective effects of decursin and decursinol angelate against amyloid β-protein-induced oxidative stress in the PC12 cell line: the role of Nrf2 and antioxidant enzymesLi Li
Department of Smart Foods and Drugs, Graduate School, Inje University, Gimhae, South Korea
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 75:434-42. 2011..Thus D and DA have therapeutic potential in treating AD and other oxidative stress-related diseases...
- The Notch ligand Delta-like 1 integrates inputs from TGFbeta/Activin and Wnt pathwaysMichael Bordonaro
Department of Basic Sciences, The Commonwealth Medical College, 525 Pine Street, Scranton, PA 18509, USA
Exp Cell Res 317:1368-81. 2011..In conclusion, integration of the Notch, Wnt, and TGFbeta/Activin signaling pathways is in part mediated by the interactions of Dll1 with Smad2/3 and Tcf4...
- SLC5A8 (SMCT1)-mediated transport of butyrate forms the basis for the tumor suppressive function of the transporterNaren Gupta
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Life Sci 78:2419-25. 2006..The ability of SLC5A8 to deliver butyrate into colonic epithelial cells most likely underlies the tumor suppressive role of this transporter...
- Sodium butyrate up-regulates cathelicidin gene expression via activator protein-1 and histone acetylation at the promoter region in a human lung epithelial cell line, EBC-1Yutaka Kida
Department of Bacteriology, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67 Asahi Machi, Kurume, Fukuoka 830 0011, Japan
Mol Immunol 43:1972-81. 2006..Therefore, these results indicate that AP-1 and histone acetylation of the cathelicidin promoter play a critical role in the regulation of inducible cathelicidin gene expression in EBC-1 cells stimulated with sodium butyrate...
- Improved outcome in shigellosis associated with butyrate induction of an endogenous peptide antibioticRubhana Raqib
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research Bangladesh, Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:9178-83. 2006....
- Butyrate increases the formation of anti-angiogenic vascular endothelial growth factor variants in human lung microvascular endothelial cellsJ Ciura
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, 6 Swiecickiego St, 60 781, Poznan, Poland
Mol Biol Rep 37:3729-34. 2010..Since anti-angiogenic VEGF variants inhibit angiogenesis and tumour progression, and NaB is considered an anticancer drug, our findings may have clinical significance...
- Coadministration of histone deacetylase inhibitors and perifosine synergistically induces apoptosis in human leukemia cells through Akt and ERK1/2 inactivation and the generation of ceramide and reactive oxygen speciesMohamed Rahmani
Department of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Medicine, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Cancer Res 65:2422-32. 2005..They also raise the possibility that combining these agents may represent a novel antileukemic strategy...
- Microbial degradation products influence colon cancer risk: the butyrate controversyJoanne R Lupton
Faculty of Nutrition, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 2471, USA
J Nutr 134:479-82. 2004..Collectively, the studies suggest that the chemopreventive benefits of butyrate depend in part on amount, time of exposure with respect to the tumorigenic process, and the type of fat in the diet...
- Bacteria, colonic fermentation, and gastrointestinal healthGeorge T Macfarlane
University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Medical School, Microbiology and Gut Biology Group, Dundee DD1 9SY, United Kingdom
J AOAC Int 95:50-60. 2012..However, as digestive materials move along the gut, carbohydrates become depleted, which may be linked to the increased prevalence of colonic disease in the distal bowel...
- Switching Clostridium acetobutylicum to an ethanol producer by disruption of the butyrate/butanol fermentative pathwayDörte Lehmann
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Rostock, Albert Einstein Strasse 3, Rostock, Germany
Metab Eng 13:464-73. 2011..Further sugar addition in glucose fed-batch fermentations increased the ethanol production to a final titer of 33g/l, resulting in an ethanol to glucose yield of 0.38g/g...
- Butyrate delivered by butyrylated starch increases distal colonic epithelial apoptosis in carcinogen-treated ratsJulie M Clarke
Preventative Health National Research Flagship, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO Food and Nutritional Sciences, PO Box 10041, Adelaide BC, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Carcinogenesis 33:197-202. 2012..We propose this pro-apoptotic function of butyrate plays a major role reducing tumour formation in the AOM-treated rat and that these data support a potential protective role of butyrate in CRC...
- Effects of high-amylose maize starch and butyrylated high-amylose maize starch on azoxymethane-induced intestinal cancer in ratsJulie M Clarke
Preventative Health National Research Flagship, CSIRO Human Nutrition, PO Box 10041, Adelaide BC 5000, South Australia
Carcinogenesis 29:2190-4. 2008..Interventional strategies designed to maximize luminal butyrate may be of protective benefit in humans...
- Apoptotic sensitivity of colon cancer cells to histone deacetylase inhibitors is mediated by an Sp1/Sp3-activated transcriptional program involving immediate-early gene inductionAndrew J Wilson
Department of Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Cancer Res 70:609-20. 2010..Our findings link HDACi-induced apoptosis to activation of a Spl/Sp3-mediated response that involves derepression of a transcriptional network basally repressed in colon cancer...
- HATs and HDACs in neurodegeneration: a tale of disconcerted acetylation homeostasisR N Saha
Section of Neuroscience, Department of Oral Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Lincoln, NE 68583 0740, USA
Cell Death Differ 13:539-50. 2006..Finally, we discuss the therapeutic potential of reinstating the HAT-HDAC balance to ameliorate neurodegenerative diseases...
- In vitro studies on the inhibition of colon cancer by butyrate and carnitineMarie Josee Roy
Research Center, Sainte Justine Hospital, Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Nutrition 25:1193-201. 2009....
- Expression profiling of sodium butyrate (NaB)-treated cells: identification of regulation of genes related to cytokine signaling and cancer metastasis by NaBJeena Joseph
Department of Microbiology and Cell Biology, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560 012, India
Oncogene 23:6304-15. 2004..Therefore, our study presents new evidence for pathways regulated by NaB, thus providing evidence for the mechanism behind anti-inflammatory and antimetastatic activities of NaB...
- Short-chain fatty acids induce apoptosis in colon cancer cells associated with changes to intracellular redox state and glucose metabolismGeoffrey M Matthews
Gastroenterology Department, Children, Youth and Women s Health Service, University of Adelaide, S A, Australia
Chemotherapy 58:102-9. 2012..We investigated candidate SCFA for their capability to modulate apoptosis, cell cycle, intracellular redox state and glucose metabolism in the Caco-2 human colon cancer cell line...
- The selectivty and anti-metastatic activity of oral bioavailable butyric acid prodrugsAda Rephaeli
Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Beilinson Campus, Petach Tikva, 49100, Israel
Invest New Drugs 24:383-92. 2006..5 h of intravenous, intraperitoneal, or oral administration of AN-7 (100 mg/kg). Relative contributions of the prodrug metabolites to the anti-neoplastic activity and the best candidate for clinical studies are discussed...
- Butyrate induces cell apoptosis through activation of JNK MAP kinase pathway in human colon cancer RKO cellsYu Zhang
National Engineering Laboratory for Druggable Gene and Protein Screening, Northeast Normal University, Changchun 130024, China
Chem Biol Interact 185:174-81. 2010..Taken together, our data indicate that butyrate induces apoptosis through JNK MAPK activation in colon cancer RKO cells...
- Sodium butyrate sensitizes human colon adenocarcinoma COLO 205 cells to both intrinsic and TNF-alpha-dependent extrinsic apoptosisBeata Pajak
Department of Cell Ultrastructure, Mossakowski Medical Research Center, Polish Academy of Sciences, Pawinskiego 5, 02 106 Warsaw, Poland
Apoptosis 14:203-17. 2009..These findings suggest that NaBt could represent a good candidate for the new therapeutic strategy aimed to improve chemo- and immunotherapy of colon cancer...
- A study protocol to investigate the relationship between dietary fibre intake and fermentation, colon cell turnover, global protein acetylation and early carcinogenesis: the FACT studyBernard M Corfe
Department of Oncology, University of Sheffield, The Medical School, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield, S10 2RX, UK
BMC Cancer 9:332. 2009..Subsidiary measures of the effect of butyrate on colon mucosal function and pre-cancerous phenotype will include measures of apoptosis, apoptotic regulators cell cycle and cell division...
- Microarray analysis of butyrate regulated genes in colonic epithelial cellsKristian Daly
Epithelial Function and Development Group, Department of Veterinary Preclinical Sciences, University of Liverpool, UK
DNA Cell Biol 25:49-62. 2006....
- The HDAC inhibitor, sodium butyrate, stimulates neurogenesis in the ischemic brainHyeon Ju Kim
Molecular Neurobiology Section, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1363, USA
J Neurochem 110:1226-40. 2009....
- Butyrate suppresses expression of neuropilin I in colorectal cell lines through inhibition of Sp1 transactivationDanny C W Yu
Department of Oncology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, S10 2JF, UK
Mol Cancer 9:276. 2010..We have previously shown that butyrate, a naturally occurring histone deacetylase inhibitor (HDACi) produced by fermentation of fibre in the colon, causes apoptosis of colon cancer cell lines...
- Topical butyrate improves efficacy of 5-ASA in refractory distal ulcerative colitis: results of a multicentre trialP Vernia
Dipartmento Scienze Cliniche, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 33:244-8. 2003..The present study aimed at confirming, with adequate statistical power, previous data indicating the usefulness of topical butyrate and 5-ASA in the treatment of this condition...
- Butyrate and Wnt signaling: a possible solution to the puzzle of dietary fiber and colon cancer risk?Michael Bordonaro
Department of Pharmacology and Developmental Therapeutics Program, Cancer Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Cell Cycle 7:1178-83. 2008..We discuss the evidence by which these factors influence the effects of fiber on colonic tumorigenesis and outline experimental approaches for testing these hypotheses...
- Butyrate-induced apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in bovine kidney epithelial cells: involvement of caspase and proteasome pathwaysC J Li
Growth Biology Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, ARS, USDA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Anim Sci 83:89-97. 2005..All these results indicate that butyrate functions as both a nutrient and signaling molecule regulating cell growth and proliferation...
- The intrinsic mitochondrial membrane potential of colonic carcinoma cells is linked to the probability of tumor progressionBarbara G Heerdt
Department of Oncology, Albert Einstein Cancer Center, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Cancer Res 65:9861-7. 2005..Therefore, these data establish that the probability for tumor development and progression is linked to stable differences in the intrinsic Deltapsim of colonic epithelial cells...
- Molecular basis of sodium butyrate-dependent proapoptotic activity in cancer cellsB Pajak
Department of Cell Ultrastructure, Medical Research Centre, Polish Academy of Sciences
Adv Med Sci 52:83-8. 2007..These effects are specific for tumor but not for regular cells. Unique properties of NaBt make this agent a promising metabolic inhibitor to retard tumorigenesis to suppress tumor growth...
- Oral administration of butyrivibrio fibrisolvens, a butyrate-producing bacterium, decreases the formation of aberrant crypt foci in the colon and rectum of miceSou Ohkawara
Department of Life Science, College of Agriculture, Meiji University, Tama ku, Kawasaki 214 8571, Japan
J Nutr 135:2878-83. 2005..These results suggest that colorectal cancer may be prevented or suppressed by the utilization of MDT-1 as a probiotic. Administration of MDT-1 had no harmful effect on the health of mice at least for 3 mo...
- Decursin and decursinol angelate inhibit VEGF-induced angiogenesis via suppression of the VEGFR-2-signaling pathwayMyung Hwan Jung
Department of Natural Sciences, School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702 701, Republic of Korea
Carcinogenesis 30:655-61. 2009..Taken together, these results demonstrate that decursin and decursinol angelate are novel candidates for inhibition of VEGF-induced angiogenesis...
- Recovery of learning and memory is associated with chromatin remodellingAndre Fischer
Picower Institute for Learning and Memory, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Nature 447:178-82. 2007....
- Histone deacetylase inhibitors exhibit anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective effects in a rat permanent ischemic model of stroke: multiple mechanisms of actionHyeon Ju Kim
Molecular Neurobiology Section, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Bethesda, MD 20892 1363, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 321:892-901. 2007..Given that there is no effective treatment for stroke, HDAC inhibitors, such as VPA, SB, and TSA, should be evaluated for their potential use for clinical trials in stroke patients...
- Histone hyperacetylation in the coding region of chromatin undergoing transcription in SV40 minichromosomes is a dynamic process regulated directly by the presence of RNA polymerase IILata Balakrishnan
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
J Mol Biol 365:18-30. 2007....
- Butyrate inhibits NF-kappaB activation in lamina propria macrophages of patients with ulcerative colitisH Luhrs
Dept of Medicine, Institute of Pathology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 37:458-66. 2002..Clinical trials suggest anti-inflammatory effects of locally administered butyrate in UC. The potential effects of butyrate on NF-kappaB activation in lamina propria macrophages of UC patients were investigated...
- Butyrate induced Caco-2 cell apoptosis is mediated via the mitochondrial pathwayF M Ruemmele
Laboratory of Intestinal Immunology, Children s Hospital Medical Centre, Department of Paediatrics, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Gut 52:94-100. 2003..The short chain fatty acid butyrate is well established as an antitumour agent which selectively induces apoptosis in colon cancer cells but not in normal intestinal epithelial cells...
- Decursin from Angelica gigas mitigates amnesia induced by scopolamine in miceSo Young Kang
College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Kwanak Gu San 56 1, Shillim Dong, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Neurobiol Learn Mem 79:11-8. 2003..Moreover, decursin significantly inhibited AChE activity by 34% in the hippocampus of treated mice. These results indicate that decursin may exert anti-amnestic activity in vivo through inhibition of AChE activity in the hippocampus...
- Human GSTA1-1 reduces c-Jun N-terminal kinase signalling and apoptosis in Caco-2 cellsLaura Romero
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 2W1
Biochem J 400:135-41. 2006..These results indicate that GSTA1 suppresses activation of JNK signalling by a pro-inflammatory cytokine and oxidative stress and suggests a protective role for GSTA1-1 in JNK-associated apoptosis...
- Butyrate-induced differentiation of colon cancer cells is PKC and JNK dependentArkadiusz Orchel
Department of Biopharmacy, Medical University of Silesia, 41 200 Sosnowiec, Poland
Dig Dis Sci 50:490-8. 2005..These results suggest that butyrate could influence the colonocyte differentiation via modulation of the activity of cellular protein kinases and signal transduction...
- Counter-regulatory effect of sodium butyrate on tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha)-induced complement C3 and factor B biosynthesis in human intestinal epithelial cellsA Andoh
Department of Internal Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta Tukinowa, Otsu, Japan
Clin Exp Immunol 118:23-9. 1999..Butyrate action has been discussed with its activity to induce histone hyperacetylation, but its counter-regulatory effect on complement biosynthesis may be closely associated with the modulation of transcription factor activation...
- Butyrate affects differentiation, maturation and function of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells and macrophagesA L Millard
Unite MeDIAN, CNRS UMR 6142, Faculte de Pharmacie, Reims, France
Clin Exp Immunol 130:245-55. 2002..Altogether, our data demonstrate a novel immune suppression property of butyrate that may modulate both inflammatory and immune responses and support further the interest for butyrate and its derivatives as new immunotherapeutic agents...
- Histone deacetylase inhibitors: the anticancer, antimetastatic and antiangiogenic activities of AN-7 are superior to those of the clinically tested AN-9 (Pivanex)Nataly Tarasenko
Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Beilinson Campus, Petach Tikva 49100, Israel
Clin Exp Metastasis 25:703-16. 2008..02). Both AN-7 and AN-9 exhibited antimetastatic and antiangiogenic activities by reducing vascularization, bFGF expression and HIF-1alpha. Yet, AN-7 was more potent than AN-9...
- Transcriptome and proteome analysis of Chinese hamster ovary cells under low temperature and butyrate treatmentAnne Kantardjieff
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Minnesota, 421 Washington Avenue SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0132, USA
J Biotechnol 145:143-59. 2010....
- Folic acid and sodium butyrate prevent tumorigenesis in a mouse model of colorectal cancerRong Lu
Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine Renji Hospital, Shanghai Institute of Digestive Disease, Shanghai, China
Epigenetics 3:330-5. 2008....
- Hydrogen sulfide and colonic epithelial metabolism: implications for ulcerative colitisJ Jørgensen
Department of Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital, The Rigshospital, Denmark
Dig Dis Sci 46:1722-32. 2001..Other fecal agents seem to be more potent metabolic inhibitors than fecal HS-. The role of colonic contents in the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis remains circumstantial...
- The histone deacetylase inhibitor butyrate downregulates cyclin B1 gene expression via a p21/WAF-1-dependent mechanism in human colon cancer cellsSonia Y Archer
Dept of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 289:G696-703. 2005..These findings highlight key molecular mechanisms by which HDAC inhibitors mediate their beneficial effects on human cancer cells...
- Histone deacetylase inhibitors strongly sensitise neuroblastoma cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis by a caspases-dependent increase of the pro- to anti-apoptotic proteins ratioAnnick Muhlethaler-Mottet
Paediatric Oncology Research, Paediatric Department, University Hospital CHUV, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
BMC Cancer 6:214. 2006..Although HDACIs were recently shown to increase death induced by TRAIL in weakly TRAIL-sensitive tumour cells, the precise involved sensitisation mechanisms have not been fully identified...
- Small-molecule inhibitor of Vibrio cholerae virulence and intestinal colonizationDeborah T Hung
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 310:670-4. 2005..cholerae virulence factors, cholera toxin and the toxin coregulated pilus. Orogastric administration of virstatin protects infant mice from intestinal colonization by V. cholerae...
- Butyrate regulates E-cadherin transcription, isoform expression and intracellular position in colon cancer cellsM Barshishat
Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Br J Cancer 82:195-203. 2000..We surmise that abrogation of nuclear 100-kDa E-cadherin and beta-catenin expression following butyrate treatment is related to the control of E-cadherin gene transcription...
- Histone deacetylases as targets for dietary cancer preventive agents: lessons learned with butyrate, diallyl disulfide, and sulforaphaneMelinda C Myzak
Linus Pauling Institute, Weniger 503, Oregon State University, Corvallis, 97331 6512, USA
Curr Drug Targets 7:443-52. 2006..This review discusses the role of aberrant histone acetylation in tumorigenesis and describes the potential for cancer chemoprevention and therapy with a particular emphasis on dietary HDAC inhibitors...
- Fragrance material review on benzyl butyrateD McGinty
Research Institute for Fragrance Materials, Inc, 50 Tice Boulevard, Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 50:S407-11. 2012..A safety assessment of the entire AAASAE will be published simultaneously with this document. Please refer to Belsito et al. (2012) for an overall assessment of the safe use of this material and all AAASAE in fragrances...
- The short chain fatty acid butyrate induces promoter demethylation and reactivation of RARbeta2 in colon cancer cellsColleen C Spurling
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269 3125, USA
Nutr Cancer 60:692-702. 2008..These data suggest that dietary compounds that modulate epigenetic programming are likely to function best in the presence of retinoids and other cancer-preventing compounds that are sensitive to a cell's epigenetic state...
- Decursin and PDBu: two PKC activators distinctively acting in the megakaryocytic differentiation of K562 human erythroleukemia cellsHyeon Ho Kim
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seongbuk gu, Seoul 136 701, South Korea
Leuk Res 29:1407-13. 2005..All these results indicate that decursin and phorbol ester are PKC activators distinctively acting in megakaryocytic differentiation and PKC modulation in K562 leukemia cells...
- Reduced transaminase B (IlvE) activity caused by the lack of yjgF is dependent on the status of threonine deaminase (IlvA) in Salmonella enterica serovar TyphimuriumGeorge Schmitz
Department of Bacteriology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Bacteriol 186:803-10. 2004..Based on work described here and structural reports in the literature, we suggest a working model in which YjgF has a role in protecting the cell from toxic effects of imbalanced ketoacid pools...
- Acetylation of histones associated with the p21WAF1/CIP1 gene by butyrate is not sufficient for p21WAF1/CIP1 gene transcription in human colorectal adenocarcinoma cellsHanako Kobayashi
Department of Nutritional Science and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Int J Cancer 109:207-13. 2004....
- Acetate and butyrate are the major substrates for de novo lipogenesis in rat colonic epithelial cellsKirsten L Zambell
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3104, USA
J Nutr 133:3509-15. 2003....
- Oral butyrate in treatment of congenital chloride diarrheaSatu Wedenoja
Am J Gastroenterol 103:252-4. 2008
- A proteomic and transcriptional view of acidogenic and solventogenic steady-state cells of Clostridium acetobutylicum in a chemostat cultureHolger Janssen
Institut für Biowissenschaften, Universitat Rostock, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 87:2209-26. 2010..Thus, a first systematic study of acidogenic and solventogenic chemostat cultures is presented, and similarities as well as differences to previous studies of batch cultures are discussed...
- Butyrate regulation of glycosylation-related gene expression: evidence for galectin-1 upregulation in human intestinal epithelial goblet cellsEstelle Gaudier
Human Nutrition and Gut Function Unit, INRA Nantes, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 325:1044-51. 2004..Significant butyrate effects will be discussed in regard to their possible link with mucins expressed by HT29-Cl.16E cells...
- Reactivation of Fetal Gamma-globin Genes for the Treatment of Beta-globin DisordeOsamu Tanabe; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because the effects of gamma-globin inducers such as hydroxyurea, 5- azacytidine, and butyrates are mediated either through non-specific cytotoxicity or global changes in epigenetic chromatin modification, ..
- DNA Methylation, Chromatin, and Globin Gene SilencingJoseph DeSimone; Fiscal Year: 2006..that HbF levels could be elevated using pharmacologic agents such as 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine (decitabine), butyrates, and hydroxyurea...
- GENE THERAPY STRATEGIES FOR SICKLE CELL DISEASEYUET KAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Hydroxyurea is found to decrease the frequency of painful crisis and hospitalization, and recent studies with butyrates appear to be promising...
- DIFFERENTIAL METABOLISM OF DIETARY FATTY ACIDSCRAIG KIEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..In specific aim 4, the PI will measure the thermic effect of feeding during both the solid food and formula diet periods. The PI hypothesizes that the high OA feeding will be associated with a higher thermic effect of feeding. ..
- Mechanisms for differential effects of dietary fatty acids on metabolismCRAIG LAWRENCE KIEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..important new information regarding how mitochondrial malfunction, modified by dietary FA, plays a central role in the development of obesity, the metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and both heritable and age-related metabolic diseases ..
- Colonic Bacterial Synthesis of Butyric AcidCRAIG KIEN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Oncogenic Ras, STAT1 and ChemopreventionLidija Klampfer; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Pharmacophore-Modeled Screening for HbF-Inducing AgentsSusan Perrine; Fiscal Year: 2004..virtual screening using molecular modeling with confirmation by reporter assay and selection of a specific HDAC activity should generate additional compounds for development of an optimal HbF inducer for an effective life-long treatment ..
- Metabolic enzyme activity mediating myocardial stunningE Lewandowski; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Erythropoiesis & pulse arginine butyrate in sickle cellSusan Perrine; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- FETAL GLOBIN INDUCTION IN BETA THALASSEMIASusan Perrine; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies should determine the proportion and some genotypes of beta thalassemia patients which can benefit from Pulsed Butyrate plus/minus rhu-EP0 therapy. ..
- MAGNETIC RESONANCE CARDIAC C13FLUX AND METABOLIC RATEE Lewandowski; Fiscal Year: 2001..The long range objective is the ultimate use of C13 NMR to assess the activity and expression of these mitochondrial proteins that regulate metabolic flux in intact and in vivo organs during development and disease. ..
- Stereochemistry of Elimination and Proton TransferJERRY MOHRIG; Fiscal Year: 2002..Carleton College undergraduate chemistry majors will carry out the research. The principal investigator has had substantial experience in crafting successful undergraduate research experiences over his teaching career. ..
- Membrane Transport of NH3 and NH4+NAZIH NAKHOUL; Fiscal Year: 2008..These are new properties of NH3/NH4+ transport that will help explain the role of NH3 and NH4+ in acidosis and their effect on transport of other ions a well. ..
- Colon Cancer and MitochondriaBarbara Heerdt; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Oral Therapeutic for Beta-ThalassemiaSusan Perrine; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Short chain fatty acid metabolism and colonic tumorigenesisBarbara Heerdt; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mitochondrial Oxidative Stress and Protection in Pesticide-induced NeurotoxicityJiyang Cai; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from these studies will define novel protein targets of oxidative injury and will facilitate our understanding towards the molecular mechanisms of environmental toxicities associated with PD. ..
- MITOCHONDRIA AND APOPTOSIS OF MAMMARY EPITHELIAL CELLSBarbara Heerdt; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Altering Gastric Epithelial Cell DifferentiationJuanita Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will further our understanding of how corpus atrophy predisposes the gastric mucosa to neoplastic transformation. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DESIGN AND SYNTHESIS OF NONPEPTIDE PROTEASE INHIBITORSArun K Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research integrates organic synthesis, protein-ligand x-ray crystallography, molecular modeling and in-depth virus and cell-biological studies to design the next generation of HIV-1 protease inhibitors. ..
- Functional Analysis of A Novel Prostate-Associated GeneYi Lu; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term objectives are (1) to elucidate a novel apoptotic signal transduction pathway; (2) to determine whether hpHyde has the potential to be used as a biomarker in prostate cancer diagnosis and prognosis. ..
- Short Chain Fatty Acids and Intestinal Barrier FunctionJing Lin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of this study may help us to further understand the pathogenesis of NEC and lead to the development of novel prevention strategies and treatment methods. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chemical genetic approach to Vibrio cholerae pathogensisDEBORAH HUNG; Fiscal Year: 2007..John Mekalanos, thus allowing her to become a productive, independent physician-scientist. ..
- CHEMOPROT OF HEMATOPOIETIC CELLS BY MDR GENE TRANSFERArthur Bank; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies could lead to conditions for permitting higher doses of chemotherapy to be administered to advanced cancer patients with less hematologic toxicity, longer remissions or potential cure of these patients. ..
- Selenium and prostate cancer apoptosis pathwaysJunxuan Lu; Fiscal Year: 2007..The mechanistic insights will help to guide the design of novel Se agents with better efficacy and tolerance and to interpret the results of PCa prevention trials with Se. ..
- Combination Drug Therapy in Huntington's DiseaseROBERT FERRANTE; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms linking the adipogenic phenotype of aging muscle to insulin resistanceDeborah M Muoio; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TRANSCRIPTIONAL CONTROL OF GASTRINJuanita Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2007..For type specifications, see instructions on page 6.) RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- Amphiregulin in Psoriatic Epidermal HyperplasiaJAMES TILFORD ELDER; Fiscal Year: 2010..If successful, this research will have important public health consequences not only in psoriasis but also in a wide variety of dermatoses characterized by epidermal hyperplasia. ..
- Reconsolidation and extinction processes in the treatment of drug addictionYossef Itzhak; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Ras Oncoprotein-Targeted Therapy for CancerDOUGLAS FALLER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, we will employ, and continuously refine, a new molecular strategy (a pharmacophore model) in the search for more active and more specific inducers of Ras-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Adolescent Exposure to Psychostimulants: Role of nNOSYossef Itzhak; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results of these studies would provide new information on mechanisms that underlie the development of hypersensitivity to these drugs from adolescence through adulthood. ..
- Regulatory Interactions of CFTR and ENaCRonald C Rubenstein; Fiscal Year: 2010..These data will promote better understanding of the pathogenesis of not only Cystic Fibrosis lung disease, but also a number of other diseases of the airway, as well as diseases of other secretory epithelia. ..
- Mechanisms of Esophageal PainJYOTI SENGUPTA; Fiscal Year: 2008..Pharmacological study will provide insight in drug development in management of esophageal pain. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reversal of Epigenetic Silencing of the G-Globin GeneGEORGE ATWEH; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe these studies will shed important light on the normal mechanisms of silencing of the gamma-globin genes and their reversal by pharmacological therapies. ..
- DIET,APOPTOSIS AND COLON CARCINOGENESISJoanne Lupton; Fiscal Year: 2004..An understanding of how diet affects colon tumor incidence has important consequences for the design of clinical trials and for future dietary recommendations. ..
- Development of a Ras-Targeted Cancer TherapeuticDOUGLAS FALLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, we will employ, and continuously refine, a new molecular strategy (a pharmacophore model) in the search for more active and more specific inducers of Ras-mediated apoptosis. ..
- RESPONSE TO DNA DAMAGE--COLON VS SMALL INTESTINEJoanne Lupton; Fiscal Year: 2003..DNA damage will be assessed by the FLARE assay and ROS production by oxidation of the vital dye 2',7'-dichlorofluorescein in cells incubated with and without electron transport inhibitors. ..
- TREFOIL FACTOR FAMILY 3 IN NECROTIZING ENTEROCOLITISJing Lin; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies should provide novel insights into the development of the intestinal mucosal barrier and unique possible strategies for the early diagnosis and prevention of NEC in premature infants. ..
- REGULATION OF HUMAN GLOBIN GENE EXPRESSIONArthur Bank; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HUMAN GLOBIN GENE TRANSFER AND EXPRESSIONArthur Bank; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Substituted Amphetamines: NO-Dependent MechanismsYossef Itzhak; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PROLACTIN INHIBITION OF APOPTOSIS--MECHANISM OF ACTIONArthur Buckley; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- LONG TERM HIPPOCAMPAL MEMORYPramod Dash; Fiscal Year: 2001..Understanding the molecular basis of memory storage will be of value in the future development of pharmacological agents to treat amnesia associated with neurological disorders and other mental health related problems. ..
- ANTI VIRAL THERAPEUTIC FOR EBV MALIGNANCIESDOUGLAS FALLER; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Short-Chain Fatty Acid Enhanced Intestinal AdaptationKELLY TAPPENDEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Organ Culture of Basal Cell CarcinomaJames Elder; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CONTROL OF CELL GROWTH BY SHORT-CHAIN FATTY ACIDSDOUGLAS FALLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Currently, the butyrates and related short chain fatty acids are being used in multiple clinical trials to stimulate differentiation and ..
- Oral Therapeutic for Inducing Fetal HemoglobinDOUGLAS FALLER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Upon completion of preclinical studies, Investigational New Drug status will be obtained and the new therapeutic agent will be tested in human clinical trials. ..
- OXIDATIVE INJURY IN PARKINSONS DISEASEROBERT FERRANTE; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will have direct relevance to understanding the pathogenesis of PD and to developing new therapies. ..
- CHIMERISM IN CORD BLOOD TRANSPLANTATION IN MICERona Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..These "pre-translational" studies form the basis for developing effective human CB transplantation and autologous CB gene therapy protocols. ..
- Therapeutic effect of boswellin in prostate cancerYongkui Jing; Fiscal Year: 2005..We hope our proposal will lead to the discovery of a novel complementary agent for prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Gene Delivery into Human Hematopoietic CellsArthur Bank; Fiscal Year: 2008..The gene delivery technology should also be applicable for use in treating other human diseases as well. ..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Human Sensory Irritation From Volitile Organic CompoundsWilliam Cain; Fiscal Year: 2006..F) The effect of inflammation upon chemesthetic sensitivity. G) Through measurement of the NMP, confirmation of the peripheral basis for a) temporal phenomena, b) differences in potency, and c) effects of inflammation. ..
- MECHANISMS OF MEMORY DEFICITS FOLLOWING BRAIN INJURYPramod Dash; Fiscal Year: 2006..Furthermore, this project will broaden our understanding of the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases such as stroke and Alzheimer's disease. ..
- SYNTHETIC ANALOGS OF GLUCAGON FOR DIABETES STUDIESCECILIA UNSON; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Early cellular immune responses to EBVSumita Bhaduri McIntosh; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is also expected to enhance the understanding of EBV lymphoproliferative diseases and have potential diagnostic and therapeutic implications. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms of Appetitive and Aversive Context LearningKENNON LATTAL; Fiscal Year: 2005..These experiments will lay the groundwork for a research program that is focused on asking questions about the nature of specific contextual associations in learning and memory. ..