Genomes and Genes
Summary: An antifungal antibiotic. Griseofulvin may be given by mouth in the treatment of tinea infections.
Publications209 found, 100 shown here
- [Modern antimycotics. What the treating physician needs to know]C Seebacher
Hautarzt 55:150-6. 2004..Preadolescent children do not have functioning sebaceous glands; this explains the difficulties in the treatment of pediatric tinea capitis...
- Griseofulvin potentiates antitumorigenesis effects of nocodazole through induction of apoptosis and G2/M cell cycle arrest in human colorectal cancer cellsY S Ho
Institute of Biomedical Technology, Taipei Medical College, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Cancer 91:393-401. 2001..that apoptosis and G2/M cell cycle arrest were easily induced by treatment with the oral-antifungal agent, griseofulvin (GF)...
- Efficacy of topical griseofulvin in treatment of tinea corporisMohamed A A Kassem
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Mycoses 49:232-5. 2006Tinea infections are among the most common dermatological conditions throughout the world. Griseofulvin is a classical oral fungistatic antibiotic, active against Epidermophyton floccosum, Trichophyton and Microsporum species, the ..
- Synthesis and structure-activity relationship of griseofulvin analogues as inhibitors of centrosomal clustering in cancer cellsMads H Rønnest
Department of Chemistry, Technical University of Denmark, Kemitorvet, Building 201, DK 2800 Kgs Lyngby, Denmark
J Med Chem 52:3342-7. 2009b>Griseofulvin was identified as an inhibitor of centrosomal clustering in a recently developed assay...
- Live-cell imaging of tubulin in the filamentous fungus Magnaporthe grisea treated with anti-microtubule and anti-microfilament agentsKirk J Czymmek
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA
Protoplasma 225:23-32. 2005..Treatment with either benomyl or griseofulvin resulted in the appearance of prominent brightly fluorescent aggregates, including a large aggregate near the ..
- Hepatic damage and oxidative stress induced by Griseofulvin in miceM del C Martinez
Centro de Investigaciones sobre Porfirinas y Porfirias CIPYP, Hospital de Clinicas Jose de San Martin, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 55:127-39. 2009..In some cases, a severe hepatic failure and cholestasis was observed. Griseofulvin (Gris) develops an experimental EPP with hepatic manifestations in animals...
- Enhanced oral bioavailability of griseofulvin via niosomesPratap S Jadon
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dr Hari Singh Gour University, Sagar, 470 003, India
AAPS PharmSciTech 10:1186-92. 2009..was to develop nonionic surfactant vesicles (niosomes) to improve poor and variable oral bioavailability of griseofulvin. Niosomes were prepared by using different nonionic surfactants span 20, span 40, and span 60...
- The effect of griseofulvin on the gene regulation of beta-tubulin in the dermatophyte pathogen Trichophyton rubrumKamiar Zomorodian
Department of Medical Mycology and Parasitology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
J Infect Chemother 13:373-9. 2007b>Griseofulvin - a mold metabolite produced by Penicillium griseofulvum - is an antifungal drug whose interaction with tubulin is poorly understood...
- Therapeutic options for the treatment of tinea capitis: griseofulvin versus fluconazoleL Dastghaib
Dermatology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
J Dermatolog Treat 16:43-6. 2005Tinea capitis is a relatively common fungal infection of childhood. Griseofulvin has been the mainstay of treatment for many years. However, newer oral antifungal agents are being used more frequently.
- Alteration of mRNA levels of delta-aminolevulinic acid synthase, ferrochelatase and heme oxygenase-1 in griseofulvin induced protoporphyria miceK Inafuku
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara, Okinawa, Japan
J Dermatol Sci 19:189-98. 1999..inherited disorder of porphyrin metabolism and its experimental murine model can be produced by treatment with griseofulvin (GF)...
- Preparation and in vivo evaluation of solid lipid nanoparticles of griseofulvin for dermal useNidhi Aggarwal
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
J Biomed Nanotechnol 9:564-76. 2013b>Griseofulvin-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles (SLNs) were prepared by hot microemulsion technique and optimized for type and concentration of lipid and surfactant...
- The effect of water-soluble polymers, PEG and PVP, on the solubilisation of griseofulvin in aqueous micellar solutions of Pluronic F127Cristiane P Oliveira
Department of Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, Polymer Laboratory, Federal University of Ceara, CX 6 021, CEP 60455 760, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Int J Pharm 421:252-7. 2011..enhancing the solubilisation capacity of micellar solutions of Pluronic F127 for the poorly water-soluble drug griseofulvin by co-formulating with a water-soluble polymer...
- Two new derivatives of griseofulvin from the mangrove endophytic fungus Nigrospora sp. (strain No. 1403) from Kandelia candel (L.) DruceXuekui Xia
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sun Yatsen University, Guangzhou, P R China
Planta Med 77:1735-8. 2011..2), together with four known compounds, griseofulvin (3), dechlorogriseofulvin (4), bostrycin (5), and deoxybostrycin (6), were isolated from the marine endophytic ..
- Microtubule assembly dynamics: an attractive target for anticancer drugsParminder Singh
School of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai 400076, India
IUBMB Life 60:368-75. 2008..Benomyl, griseofulvin, and sulfonamides have been used as antifungal and antibacterial drugs...
- Griseofulvin stabilizes microtubule dynamics, activates p53 and inhibits the proliferation of MCF-7 cells synergistically with vinblastineKrishnan Rathinasamy
Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai 400076, Maharashtra India
BMC Cancer 10:213. 2010b>Griseofulvin, an antifungal drug, has recently been shown to inhibit proliferation of various types of cancer cells and to inhibit tumor growth in athymic mice...
- Therapeutic options for the treatment of tinea capitis caused by Trichophyton species: griseofulvin versus the new oral antifungal agents, terbinafine, itraconazole, and fluconazoleA K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Center Sunnybrook site, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Dermatol 18:433-8. 2001Tinea capitis is a relatively common fungal infection of childhood. Griseofulvin has been the mainstay of management. However, newer oral antifungal agents are being used more frequently...
- Effect of the melt granulation technique on the dissolution characteristics of griseofulvinDong Yang
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Int J Pharm 329:72-80. 2007..a melt granulation technique to improve the dissolution characteristics of a poorly water-soluble drug, griseofulvin. Melt granulation technique is a process by which pharmaceutical powders are efficiently agglomerated by a ..
- Griseofulvin versus terbinafine in the treatment of tinea capitis: a meta-analysis of randomized, clinical trialsDavid Fleece
Department of Pediatrics, Temple University Children s Medical Center, 5th Floor, 3509 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Pediatrics 114:1312-5. 2004..Although the current treatment of choice is oral griseofulvin, terbinafine has been shown to be variably effective in several comparative, randomized trials...
- Preparation of griseofulvin nanoparticles from water-dilutable microemulsionsMichele Trotta
Dipartimento di Scienza e Tecnologia del Farmaco, via P Giuria 9, Torino 10125, Italy
Int J Pharm 254:235-42. 2003Nanoparticles of griseofulvin, a model drug with poor solubility and low bioavailability, were prepared from water dilutable microemulsions by the solvent diffusion technique...
- Production of griseofulvin nanoparticles using supercritical CO(2) antisolvent with enhanced mass transferP Chattopadhyay
Department of Chemical Engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36839-5127, USA
Int J Pharm 228:19-31. 2001b>Griseofulvin (GF) is a poor water soluble, antifungal agent. The bioavailability of the drug and its absorption from the gastrointestinal tract can be greatly improved by particle size reduction...
- Improving the high variable bioavailability of griseofulvin by SEDDSAdi Issam Arida
Faculty of Pharmacy, Philadelphia University PO Box 1, Postal Code 19392, Jordan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 55:1713-9. 2007To enhance the dissolution and oral absorption of poorly water-soluble griseofulvin (GF), self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS) composed of oil, surfactant and cosurfactant for oral administration of griseofulvin was formulated, ..
- In vivo efficacy of griseofulvin against multiple myelomaYoung Kim
Department of Internal Medicine III, Center for Integrated Oncology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Leuk Res 35:1070-3. 2011We recently confirmed that ciclopirox olamine inhibits Wnt/beta catenin signalling in myeloma. Griseofulvin (GF) has similar chemical features as compared to ciclopirox olamine. In this study the anti-tumor effect of GF was investigated...
- Preparation and dissolution characteristics of griseofulvin solid dispersions with saccharidesMasataka Saito
School of Pharmaceutical Science, University of Shizuoka, 52 1 Yada, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
Int J Pharm 249:71-9. 2002To improve the solubility of poorly water-soluble drugs, we studied physical characteristics of griseofulvin (GF) solid dispersions with saccharides as the dispersion carrier using a roll mixing method...
- Novel insights into changes in biochemical properties of keratins 8 and 18 in griseofulvin-induced toxic liver injuryAnne Marie Fortier
Molecular oncology and endocrinology research group, Department of Chemistry Biology, University of Quebec at Trois Rivieres, 3351 Blv Des Forges, Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada G9A 5H7
Exp Mol Pathol 89:117-25. 2010..Treatment of mice with a diet containing griseofulvin induces the formation of Mallory-Denk bodies in hepatocytes...
- Preparation and characterization of poly-epsilon-caprolactone nanoparticles containing griseofulvinZohra Zili
Laboratoire de Pharmacie Galenique, Faculte de Pharmacie, Rue Avicenne, 5000 Monastir, Tunisie
Int J Pharm 294:261-7. 2005b>Griseofulvin is an antifungal agent with poor solubility and low bioavailability. The aim of this work was to prepare poly-epsilon-caprolactone nanospheres and nanocapsules of griseofulvin by nanoprecipitation and to characterize them...
- Terbinafine hydrochloride oral granules versus oral griseofulvin suspension in children with tinea capitis: results of two randomized, investigator-blinded, multicenter, international, controlled trialsBoni E Elewski
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0009, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 59:41-54. 2008Although griseofulvin is currently considered the primary antifungal agent used to treat tinea capitis in many countries, increasingly higher doses and longer durations of treatment are becoming necessary to achieve effective treatment...
- Identification of griseofulvin as an inhibitor of centrosomal clustering in a phenotype-based screenBlanka Rebacz
Clinical Cooperation Unit for Molecular Hematology Oncology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ and Department of Internal Medicine V, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Cancer Res 67:6342-50. 2007..Screening of this compound library led to the identification of griseofulvin, which induced multipolar spindles by inhibition of centrosome coalescence, mitotic arrest, and subsequent cell ..
- NF-kappaB pathway is involved in griseofulvin-induced G2/M arrest and apoptosis in HL-60 cellsYih Huei Uen
Department of Surgery, Chi Mei Foundational Medical Center, Yung Kang City, Tainan, Taiwan
J Cell Biochem 101:1165-75. 2007b>Griseofulvin (GF), an oral antifungal agent, has been shown to exert antitumorigenesis effect through G2/M cell cycle arrest in colon cancer cells. But the underlying mechanisms remained obscure...
- Detection of griseofulvin in a marine strain of Penicillium waksmanii by ion trap mass spectrometryK E Petit
SMAB Substances Marines à Activité Biologique, Universite de Nantes, ISOMer, Faculte de Pharmacie, BP 53 508, 44035 Nantes Cedex 01, France
J Microbiol Methods 58:59-65. 2004..of a monocharged ion at m/z 353 containing a chlorine atom, which could be attributed to the antifungal griseofulvin [C17H17ClO6+H]+...
- A randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, duration-finding study of oral terbinafine and open-label, high-dose griseofulvin in children with tinea capitis due to Microsporum speciesJ Lipozencic
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University Hospital Center, Zagreb, Croatia
Br J Dermatol 146:816-23. 2002..However, the optimal treatment duration for its use in the treatment of tinea capitis caused by Microsporum species has not yet been determined...
- Griseofulvin induces mitotic delay and aneuploidy in bone marrow cells of orally treated miceFrancesca Pacchierotti
Section of Toxicology and Biomedical Sciences, ENEA CR Casaccia, Via Anguillarese 301, 00060 Santa Maria di Galeria, Roma, Italy
Mutagenesis 17:219-22. 2002b>Griseofulvin (GF) is a fungicide drug well characterized for its aneugenic activity in vitro. In vivo strong evidence of aneuploidy and polyploidy induction has been obtained in germ cells, especially in oocytes...
- Efficacy of itraconazole, terbinafine, fluconazole, griseofulvin and ketoconazole in the treatment of Scopulariopsis brevicaulis causing onychomycosis of the toesA K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Center Sunnybrook site, and University of Toronto, Ont, Canada
Dermatology 202:235-8. 2001..Scopulariopsis brevicaulis is a common non-dermatophyte mould that can cause onychomycosis...
- Comparison of terbinafine and griseofulvin in the treatment of tinea capitisH Caceres-Rios
Department of Pediatric Dermatology, Instituto de Salud del Niño, Peru
J Am Acad Dermatol 42:80-4. 2000b>Griseofulvin has been used for many years in the treatment of tinea capitis. Increase in resistance to this medication has led to a search for new therapeutic alternatives.
- Griseofulvin micronization and dissolution rate improvement by supercritical assisted atomizationE Reverchon
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Chimica e Alimentare, Universita di Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano SA, Italy
J Pharm Pharmacol 56:1379-87. 2004Supercritical assisted atomization (SAA) was used to micronize griseofulvin (GF), selected as a model compound, to verify the performance of this innovative process...
- A randomized, comparative trial of treatment of kerion celsi with griseofulvin plus oral prednisolone vs. griseofulvin aloneI Hussain
Department of Dermatology, King Edward Medical College Mayo Hospital, Lahore, Pakistan
Med Mycol 37:97-9. 1999..In this randomized study, the efficacy of combination therapy with oral griseofulvin and oral prednisolone (n =17) was compared to oral griseofulvin alone (n=13) in the treatment of kerion celsi...
- Oral griseofulvin remains the treatment of choice for tinea capitis in childrenM L Bennett
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 17:304-9. 2000Tinea capitis is one of the most common infections of children. The standard treatment is griseofulvin. Itraconazole and terbinafine have in large part replaced griseofulvin in the treatment of onychomycosis and, in addition to ..
- Meta-analysis: griseofulvin efficacy in the treatment of tinea capitisAditya K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Drugs Dermatol 7:369-72. 2008Despite its long history in clinical use, reported efficacy rates of griseofulvin remain highly variable. A meta-analysis of clinical trials of griseofulvin use in tinea capitis was performed to determine mean griseofulvin efficacy...
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of a fast-disintegrating lyophilized dry emulsion tablet containing griseofulvinIman Saad Ahmed
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Kasr El Eini St, Cairo, Egypt
Eur J Pharm Sci 32:58-68. 2007..lyophilized dry emulsion (LDE) tablet that enhanced the in vitro dissolution and in vivo absorption of griseofulvin (GF) is presented...
- Identification of the viridicatumtoxin and griseofulvin gene clusters from Penicillium aethiopicumYit Heng Chooi
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Chem Biol 17:483-94. 2010..and biologically active polyketides: the tetracycline-like viridicatumtoxin 1 and the classic antifungal agent griseofulvin 2...
- A randomized comparison of 4 weeks of terbinafine vs. 8 weeks of griseofulvin for the treatment of tinea capitisL C Fuller
Department of Dermatology, King's College Hospital, London SE5 9RS, UK
Br J Dermatol 144:321-7. 2001..S.A. The current licensed treatment in children is griseofulvin 10 mg kg(-1) daily, which is usually given for 6--8 weeks...
- Kinetic suppression of microtubule dynamic instability by griseofulvin: implications for its possible use in the treatment of cancerDulal Panda
School of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay 400076, India
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9878-83. 2005The antifungal drug griseofulvin inhibits mitosis strongly in fungal cells and weakly in mammalian cells by affecting mitotic spindle microtubule (MT) function...
- Morphogenesis during division and griseofulvin-induced changes of the microtubular cytoskeleton in the parasitic protist, Trichomonas vaginalisC Noel
Institut Pasteur, Unité Mixte INSERM IPL U547, 1 rue du Professeur Calmette, B P 245, 59019, Lille Cedex, France
Parasitol Res 89:487-94. 2003..Observation of griseofulvin-treated T...
- Clinico-myocological profile of tinea capitis in North India and response to griseofulvinA Singal
Department of Dermatology, University of College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Dermatol 28:22-6. 2001There is a paucity of literature on tinea capitis from North India. The response to griseofulvin has not been studied as well...
- Effects of plasma irradiation on the wettability and dissolution of compacts of griseofulvinA Naseem
Biomedical Materials Research Group, School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, University of Brighton, Moulsecoomb, Brighton BN2 4GJ, UK
Int J Pharm 269:443-50. 2004..was investigated as a possible technique for increasing the dissolution rate of the poorly soluble drug griseofulvin. Plasma is a partially ionised gas consisting of ions, electrons and neutral species...
- The effects of inhibition of haem biosynthesis by griseofulvin on intestinal iron absorptionAbas H Laftah
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, GKT School of Medicine and Dentistry, Bessemer Rd, London SE5 9PJ, UK
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 94:161-8. 2004..intestinal iron absorption in mice was investigated by ascertaining the effect of the haem synthesis inhibitor, griseofulvin, on duodenal iron absorption using both in vivo and in vitro measurements...
- [Griseofulvin]M Develoux
Service de Parasitologie Mycologie, Hopital Tenon, 4, rue de la Chine, 75020 Paris
Ann Dermatol Venereol 128:1317-25. 2001b>Griseofulvin is a metabolic product of Penicillium spp. It was the first available oral agent for the treatment of dermatophytoses and has now been used for more than forty years...
- Poly(lactide)-poly(ethylene glycol) micelles as a carrier for griseofulvinE Pierri
Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Technology, Department of Pharmacy, University of Patras, Rion 26500, Greece
J Biomed Mater Res A 75:639-47. 2005In this work, the feasibility to develop micelle carriers of griseofulvin based on PLA-PEG copolymers was investigated...
- A randomized controlled trial assessing the efficacy of fluconazole in the treatment of pediatric tinea capitisK Wade Foster
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0009, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:798-809. 2005b>Griseofulvin is considered first-line therapy for tinea capitis, and the Physician's Desk Reference currently recommends 11 mg/kg per day microsize formulation for use in children...
- Tinea capitisMarcy S Alvarez
Department of Dermatology, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
Cutis 78:189-96. 2006..The prevalence of TC has risen in the past 2 decades. Griseofulvin, the gold standard of therapy, does not cure about 20% of patients with TC, which has led to recent clinical ..
- Scalp ringwormAnthony Summers
University Hospital Lewisham, London
Emerg Nurse 14:18-9. 2006
- The systemic treatment of onychomycosisJay A Wenig
Clin Podiatr Med Surg 21:579-89, vi. 2004The systemic treatment of fungal infections has changed considerably over the past 10 to 20 years. Though griseofulvin was introduced in the late 1950s and was at the time the only Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved drug in the ..
- Isolation of Trichophyton violaceum and Trichophyton soudanense in Baltimore, MarylandShelley S Magill
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1830 E Monument St, 4th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:461-5. 2007....
- Tinea capitisClaus Seebacher
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 4:1085-91. 2006
- Tinea capitis favosa in PolandW Niczyporuk
Department of Dermatology and Venerology Medical Academy, Bialystok, Poland
Mycoses 47:257-60. 2004..We describe two patients who had local alopecia caused by Trichophyton schoenleinii. In the first case, we observed good clinical response after griseofulvin treatment and in the second case after topical application of ciclopirox cream.
- Oral treatments for toenail onychomycosis: a systematic reviewFay Crawford
The Dental Health Services Research Unit, The University of Dundee, Park Place, Dundee DD1 4MR, Scotland
Arch Dermatol 138:811-6. 2002..To identify and synthesize the evidence for the efficacy of oral treatments for fungal infections of the toenails...
- In vitro methods for antifungal susceptibility testing of Trichophyton sppMaria Elisabete da Silva Barros
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Biological Sciences, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627 PO Box 486 CEP 31 270 901, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Mycol Res 110:1355-60. 2006..Although the modifications introduced did not interfere with the results, more studies are necessary to establish a standard technique to test susceptibility of dermatophytes to antifungal drugs...
- In vitro susceptibility of Microsporum canis and other dermatophyte isolates from veterinary infections during therapy with terbinafine or griseofulvinB Hofbauer
Infectious Diseases Department, Novartis Research Institute, Vienna, Austria
Med Mycol 40:179-83. 2002..n = 300) were obtained from naturally infected cats and dogs undergoing oral therapy with terbinafine or griseofulvin. M. canis comprised 92% of isolates; other species included Microsporum gypseum and Trichophyton mentagrophytes...
- Invitro drug sensitivity of Trichophyton species against griseofulvin and ketoconazoleSumita Dodia
Department of Botany, St John s College, Agra 282 002, India
Hindustan Antibiot Bull 44:47-8. 2002The in vitro activity of griseofulvin and ketoconazole was investigated against Trichophyton mentagrophytes (Robin) Blanchard and T. Simii (Pinoy) Stockdale, Mackenzie and Austwick...
- Treatment of dermatophytosis in dogs and cats: review of published studiesKaren A Moriello
Department of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Vet Dermatol 15:99-107. 2004..Animals or hairs were either bathed or rinsed once or twice weekly. Itraconazole, griseofulvin and terbinafine were evaluated in controlled or field studies, most commonly involving cats...
- [Diversified treatments of Tinea unguium]Tomoo Fukuda
Department of Dermatology, Kyorin University School of Medicine, 20 2, 6 Chome, Shinkawa, Mitaka shi, Tokyo 181 8611, Japan
Nihon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi 43:85-9. 2002..Many patients dropped out, still having affected nails. It seems important to us to understand thoroughly the merits and demerits of each diversified treatment for tinea unguium and to provide the preferential treatment for each patient...
- Treatment of dermatophyte toenail onychomycosis in the United States. A pharmacoeconomic analysisAditya K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Center Sunnybrook campus and University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 92:272-86. 2002..nail lacquer and the oral agents terbinafine, itraconazole (pulse), itraconazole (continuous), fluconazole, and griseofulvin. A treatment algorithm for the management of onychomycosis was developed, and a meta-analysis was carried out ..
- Black-dot tinea capitis. Patchy hair loss is common in pediatric patientsRobert T Brodell
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, USA
Postgrad Med 111:123-6. 2002
- First-line treatment for tinea capitisEduardo S Diehl
Pediatr Dermatol 22:372; author reply 372. 2005
- Tinea capitis mimicking dissecting cellulitis: a distinct variantJoy M Twersky
Department of Dermatology, University of Cincinnati, Division of Pediatric Dermatology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Int J Dermatol 44:412-4. 2005..Tinea capitis is a common scalp dermatosis with several clinical patterns. Only two patients with a presentation of tinea capitis mimicking dissecting cellulitis have been described in the English literature...
- Tinea capitis update: a continuing conflict with an old adversaryB K Chen
Pediatric and Adolescent Dermatology, Children's Hospital, San Diego, California, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 13:331-5. 2001..Clinical studies over the past decade that have investigated the response of tinea capitis to griseofulvin, the mainstay treatment for this condition, suggest a decrease in sensitivity to this pharmacologic agent, in ..
- Current topics of tinea capitis in ChinaJin Yu
Department of Dermatology Research Center of Medical Mycology, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing 100034, PR China
Nihon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi 46:61-6. 2005..The major etiologic agent of tinea capitis varies in different areas. Tinea capitis in China has unique characteristics. The epidemiology, transmission and therapy of child and adult tinea capitis in China are reviewed in this paper...
- Tinea capitis: a treatment updateBrandie J Roberts
Children s Hospital and Health Center and University of California San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA, USA
Pediatr Ann 34:191-200. 2005Currently, many experts consider griseofulvin to be the drug of choice for tinea capitis. It is FDA approved for this indication, highly efficacious, and has an excellent long-term safety record...
- [Systematic treatment of tinea pedis--evidence for treatment? A result of a Cochrane review]Merete Haedersdal
Dermatologisk afdeling D 92, H S Bispebjerg Hospital, DK 2400 København NV
Ugeskr Laeger 165:1436-8. 2003..Once acquired the infection can spread to other sites including the nails, which can be a source of reinfection. Oral therapy is usually used for chronic conditions or when topical treatment has failed...
- Systemic antifungal therapy for cutaneous infections in childrenAisha Sethi
Department of Dermatology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:643-4. 2006
- An overview of antifungal drugs and their use for treatment of deep and superficial mycoses in animalsRichard F Hector
Institute for Global Health, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Clin Tech Small Anim Pract 20:240-9. 2005....
- Voriconazole susceptibilities of dermatophyte isolates obtained from a worldwide tinea capitis clinical trialM Ghannoum
Center for Medical Mycology, University Hospital of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:2579-80. 2006..obtained from a worldwide tinea capitis trial were compared to their susceptibilities to fluconazole and griseofulvin. The MIC ranges of voriconazole, fluconazole, and griseofulvin, were 0.002 to 0.06 microg/ml, 0...
- Increasing tinea capitis prevalence in Stockholm reflects immigrationJenny Hallgren
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Department of Clinical Microbiology, Karolinska Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Med Mycol 42:505-9. 2004..The treatment consisted of the oral antimycotics terbinafine (n = 48) or griseofulvin (n = 49)...
- In vitro evaluation of griseofulvin against clinical isolates of dermatophytes from IsfahanMostafa Chadeganipour
Mycology and Parasitology Department, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Mycoses 47:503-7. 2004..verrucosum, Microsporum canis and Epidermophyton floccosum were examined for their susceptibility to griseofulvin. The minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) values were obtained using the modified microdilution method...
- Cumulative meta-analysis of systemic antifungal agents for the treatment of onychomycosisA K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Center Sunnybrook site and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Br J Dermatol 150:537-44. 2004..Onychomycosis is a common nail disease that is often chronic, difficult to eradicate, and has a tendency to recur. The most common oral therapies for dermatophyte toenail onychomycosis include terbinafine, itraconazole and fluconazole...
- New treatments for tinea capitisYuin Chew Chan
National Skin Centre, 1 Mandalay Road, Singapore 308205
Curr Opin Infect Dis 17:97-103. 2004..The current standard of care for the treatment of tinea capitis in the USA is oral griseofulvin, but evidence is accumulating that some of the newer antifungal agents may also be useful.
- Presence of dermatophytes on the nails of tinea capitis patients. Prospective study in the area of Sfax (Tunisia)F Cheikhrouhou
Laboratory of Parasitology Mycology, Sfax Faculty of Medicine, Sfax, Tunisia
Mycoses 46:334-5. 2003..Twenty-one cases of tinea were resistant to 6 weeks treatment with griseofulvin. Thirty per cent of them have had fungal elements in nails...
- Newer antifungal agentsMichael Bigby
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:357; author reply 357-8. 2003
- Terbinafine in fungal infections of the nails: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trialsM Haugh
Centre Cochrane Français, Centre Léon Bérnard, 28 rue Laennec, 69373 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Br J Dermatol 147:118-21. 2002..Historically, there has been a general resistance to treating onychomycosis on the basis that such treatments were protracted and of uncertain outcome. However, modern treatments act more promptly and reliably...
- Ketoconazole and kidsRebecca McAllister
Postgrad Med 112:12; author reply 12, 89. 2002
- Tinea capitis: no incision nor excisionLaetitia von Laer Tschudin
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Center of the Canton of Vaud CHUV, 1011 Lausanne CHUV, Switzerland
J Pediatr Surg 42:E33-6. 2007....
- The assessment and management of tinea capitis in childrenSamina Ali
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Stollery Children s Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Pediatr Emerg Care 23:662-5; quiz 666-8. 2007..Oral griseofulvin remains the standard treatment agent, but terbinafine and itraconazole are also effective alternatives (..
- A study of dermatophytes and their in-vitro antifungal sensitivityM N Sumana
Department of Microbiology, Govt Medical College, Mysore
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 45:169-72. 2002..One isolate each of Microsporum gypseum & Epidermophyton floccosum were obtained. Griseofulvin proved to be the best drug with a sensitivity of 94.4% followed by Miconazole (75% sensitive)...
- [Tinea capitis. Therapeutic options in the post-griseofulvin era]M Mohrenschlager
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie am Biederstein, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
Hautarzt 53:788-94. 2002Tinea capitis is the most common dermatophyte infection during childhood. In Germany, only griseofulvin is approved for therapy by regulatory agencies...
- Guidelines for treatment of onychomycosisD T Roberts
Southern General Hospital, Glasgow G51 4TF, UK
Br J Dermatol 148:402-10. 2003..They present evidence-based guidance for treatment, with identification of the strength of evidence available at the time of preparation of the guidelines, and a brief overview of epidemiological aspects, diagnosis and investigation...
- Diagnosis and management of scalp ringwormL C Fuller
King s College Hospital, London SE5 9RS
BMJ 326:539-41. 2003
- Tinea faciei: a report on four casesA Khaled
Department of Dermatology, Charles Nicolle Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Pannonica Adriat 16:170-3. 2007..Three patients recovered completely after one month of griseofulvin associated with topical terbinafine. Patient 3 was topically treated because she was pregnant...
- Antifungal agents of use in animal health--chemical, biochemical and pharmacological aspectsH Vanden Bossche
Steenweg op Gierle 68, B 2300 Turnhout, Belgium
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 26:5-29. 2003..This review includes chemical aspects, spectra of activity, mechanisms of action and resistance, adverse reactions and drug interactions of the antifungals in current use...
- The use of oral antifungal agents to treat onychomycosisAditya K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Center Sunnybrook site, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
Dermatol Clin 21:469-79, vi. 2003..b>Griseofulvin was the first significant oral agent available to manage onychomycosis...
- The efficacy and safety of terbinafine in childrenAditya K Gupta
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Center Sunnybrook site, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
Dermatol Clin 21:511-20. 2003..These regimens still tend to be shorter than treatment with griseofulvin, and terbinafine may provide a higher compliance and a more cost-effective means of managing tinea capitis...
- An audit of the management of tinea capitis using the British Association of Dermatologists' guidelinesV Madan
Int J Dermatol 46:547. 2007
- [Onychomycosis]D Reinel
Abteilung für Dermatologie, Venerologie und Allergologie, Bundeswehrkrankenhaus Hamburg, Hamburg
Hautarzt 55:143-9. 2004..Therefore onychomycosis is best treated by dermatologists...
- Analysis of Trichophyton rubrum gene expression in response to cytotoxic drugsFernanda G Paião
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
FEMS Microbiol Lett 271:180-6. 2007..to isolate transcripts specifically upregulated during Trichophyton rubrum exposure to acriflavin, fluconazole, griseofulvin, terbinafine or undecanoic acid...
- Treatment of tinea imbricata: a randomized clinical trial using griseofulvin, terbinafine, itraconazole and fluconazoleA B Wingfield
Department of Dermatology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 1542 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, U S A
Br J Dermatol 150:119-26. 2004b>Griseofulvin has been the mainstay of treatment for tinea imbricata (TI) for decades; however, there have been few reports of efficacy of newer antifungals in the treatment of this condition...
- Intracutaneous distributions of fluconazole, itraconazole, and griseofulvin in Guinea pigs and binding to human stratum corneumSatoshi Sobue
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Pfizer Global R and D, Tokyo Laboratories, Pfizer Japan Inc, Tokyo, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:216-23. 2004We have compared the distribution of fluconazole (FLC) with that of itraconazole (ITC) and griseofulvin (GRF) in the abdominal skin tissues after a single oral dose was administered to guinea pigs...
- Tinea capitis due to Microsporum audouinii in MaltaL Vella Zahra
Medical School, Mycology Laboratory, Pathology Department, St Luke s Hospital, Malta
Mycoses 46:433-5. 2003..We describe a case of tinea capitis in a 4-year-old boy caused by Microsporum audouinii var. langeronii. This is the first recorded case of tinea capitis due to this dermatophyte in the Maltese Islands...
- [What is your diagnosis? Tinea capitis]R Boni
White House, Center for Liposuction and Dermatology, Kraftstrasse 33 Mommsenstrasse 20, 8044 Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 92:1341-2. 2003
- Terbinafine. An update of its use in superficial mycosesK J McClellan
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 58:179-202. 1999..The drug has shown greater efficacy than griseofulvin in dermatophyte onychomycosis, tinea pedis and tinea corporis/cruris, and comparable efficacy in children with ..
- Fungi recovered from Slovakian poultry feed mixtures and their toxinogenityRoman Labuda
Microbiology Department, Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Sciences, Slovak University of Agriculture, Tr A Hlinku 2, 949 76 Nitra, Slovak Republic
Ann Agric Environ Med 13:193-200. 2006..mycotoxin producers, namely those forming aflatoxin B (1) (n=3), citrinin (17), cyclopiazonic acid (76), fumonisin B(1) (86), griseofulvin (42), moniliformin (18), ochratoxin A (5), patulin (56), penitrem A (30) and sterigmatocystin (10).
- The effect of therapeutic drugs and other pharmacologic agents on activity of porphobilinogen deaminase, the enzyme that is deficient in intermittent acute porphyriaP V Tishler
Brockton West Roxbury Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02132, USA
Life Sci 65:207-14. 1999..To test this, we studied the effects of drugs that precipitate acute attacks (lead, phenobarbital, griseofulvin, phenytoin, sulfanilamide, sulfisoxazole, 17alpha-ethinyl estradiol, 5beta-pregnan-3alpha-ol-20-one), drugs ..
- The significance of itraconazole for treatment of fungal infections of skin, nails and mucous membranesHans Christian Korting
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 7:11-9, 11-20. 2009..Itraconazole constitutes an important therapy option, along with fluconazole, terbinafine, ketoconazole and griseofulvin, for the treatment of dermatophyte infections of glabrous skin (tinea pedis, tinea manuum, tinea corporis and ..
- Solubility-excipient classification gradient mapsAlex Avdeef
pION INC, 5 Constitution Way Woburn, MA 01801, USA
Pharm Res 24:530-45. 2007..soluble drugs (four bases, two neutrals, and two acids): astemizole, butacaine, clotrimazole, dipyridamole, griseofulvin, progesterone, glibenclamide, and mefenemic acid...
- Development of a new Imaging Platform for Pharmaceutical and Biomedical applicatiLynne S Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2012..Model drugs will include itraconazole and griseofulvin (combined with oral delivery polymers), dexamethasone and naltrexone (combined with biodegradable polymers), ..
- MECHANISM OF ACTION OF ANTITUMOR DRUGSRichard Luduena; Fiscal Year: 2000..interactions with tubulin are colchicine, podophyllotoxin, curacin A, vinblastine, maytansine, phompsin, IK104, griseofulvin, BisANs, taxol, taxotere, GTP, and GDP...
- UNDERSTANDING THE DESIGN OF MOLECULAR MOTORSJohn Murray; Fiscal Year: 2000..vincristine, vinblastine, and taxol, used for their anti-mitotic effects against a variety of neoplasms; griseofulvin, an anti-fungal agent; and others...
- Characterization of Candida albicans microtubulesLeslie Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, the mechanism of interaction of two known microtubule-targeted antifungal drugs (benomyl and griseofulvin) with the Candida tubulin will be determined and the mechanisms by which the drugs modulate the polymerization ..
- Biology and Drug Resistance of Candida BiofilmsMahmoud Ghannoum; Fiscal Year: 2005..albicans biofilms. By studying biofilm model systems and applying this knowledge to the patient population, we will gain a wealth of data about the biology and drug resistance of C. albicans in biofilms. ..
- MECHANISM OF IL-12 INHIBITION BY CANDIDA ALBICANSMahmoud Ghannoum; Fiscal Year: 2009..Data obtained from these studies will lead to a better understanding of the complex immune response to CA infection and may identify novel prevention/treatment strategies for candidiasis. ..