- Boceprevir for untreated chronic HCV genotype 1 infection
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
N Engl J Med 364:1195-206. 2011
..The rate of sustained virologic response has been below 50% in cases of HCV genotype 1 infection. Boceprevir, a potent oral HCV-protease inhibitor, has been evaluated as an additional treatment in phase 1 and phase 2 studies...
- Telaprevir for previously untreated chronic hepatitis C virus infection
Ira M Jacobson
Weill Cornell Medical College and Center for the Study of Hepatitis C, New York, NY 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 364:2405-16. 2011
- Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection
Michael W Fried
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
N Engl J Med 347:975-82. 2002
..We compared the efficacy and safety of peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin, interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin, and peginterferon alfa-2a alone in the initial treatment of chronic hepatitis C...
- IL28B is associated with response to chronic hepatitis C interferon-alpha and ribavirin therapy
Storr Liver Unit, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Nat Genet 41:1100-4. 2009
..These data suggest that host genetics may be useful for the prediction of drug response, and they also support the investigation of the role of IL28B in the treatment of HCV and in other diseases treated with IFN-alpha...
- Pneumonia and respiratory failure from swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) in Mexico
National Institute of Respiratory Diseases, Mexico City, Mexico
N Engl J Med 361:680-9. 2009
- Genome-wide association of IL28B with response to pegylated interferon-alpha and ribavirin therapy for chronic hepatitis C
Department of Clinical Molecular Informative Medicine, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
Nat Genet 41:1105-9. 2009
..52 x 10(-28)-2.68 x 10(-32); OR = 22.3-27.1). Real-time quantitative PCR assays in peripheral blood mononuclear cells showed lower IL28B expression levels in individuals carrying the minor alleles (P = 0.015)...
- Hepatitis B virus epidemiology, disease burden, treatment, and current and emerging prevention and control measures
World Health Organization, Communicable Disease Surveillance and Response, Geneva, Switzerland
J Viral Hepat 11:97-107. 2004
..Promising emerging new treatments include adefovir, entecavir and peginterferon alfa-2a (40 kDa)...
- Boceprevir for previously treated chronic HCV genotype 1 infection
Bruce R Bacon
Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Mo 63110 0250, USA
N Engl J Med 364:1207-17. 2011
..Boceprevir, a protease inhibitor that binds to the HCV nonstructural 3 (NS3) active site, has been suggested as an additional treatment...
- Telaprevir for retreatment of HCV infection
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Medical Center, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
N Engl J Med 364:2417-28. 2011
..Up to 60% of patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 1 infection do not have a sustained virologic response to therapy with peginterferon alfa plus ribavirin...
- Response-guided telaprevir combination treatment for hepatitis C virus infection
Kenneth E Sherman
Division of Digestive Diseases, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0595, USA
N Engl J Med 365:1014-24. 2011
..We designed a noninferiority trial (noninferiority margin, -10.5%) to compare rates of sustained virologic response among patients receiving two treatment durations...
- Cardif is an adaptor protein in the RIG-I antiviral pathway and is targeted by hepatitis C virus
Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, BIL Biomedical Research Center, Chemin des Boveresses 155, CH 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Nature 437:1167-72. 2005
..Cardif thus functions as an adaptor, linking the cytoplasmic dsRNA receptor RIG-I to the initiation of antiviral programmes...
- Clinical features of the initial cases of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in China
Beijing Chao Yang Hospital, Beijing Institute of Respiratory Medicine, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
N Engl J Med 361:2507-17. 2009
..Persons in whom infection was confirmed were hospitalized and quarantined, and some of them were closely observed for the purpose of investigating the nature and duration of the disease...
- Critically Ill patients with 2009 influenza A(H1N1) in Mexico
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Dr Domínguez Cherit, Hospital Epidemiology Department, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
JAMA 302:1880-7. 2009
..In March 2009, novel 2009 influenza A(H1N1) was first reported in the southwestern United States and Mexico. The population and health care system in Mexico City experienced the first and greatest early burden of critical illness...
- Telaprevir and peginterferon with or without ribavirin for chronic HCV infection
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Henri Mondor Hospital, University of Paris 12 and INSERM Unité 955, Creteil, France
N Engl J Med 360:1839-50. 2009
..Telaprevir is a specific inhibitor of the HCV serine protease and could be of value in HCV treatment...
- Chronic hepatitis B
Anna S F Lok
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Medical Center, 3912 Taubman Center, Box 0362, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0362, USA
Hepatology 45:507-39. 2007
- Hepatitis B virus infection--natural history and clinical consequences
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco, USA
N Engl J Med 350:1118-29. 2004
- Preliminary study of two antiviral agents for hepatitis C genotype 1
Anna S Lok
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, 3912 Taubman Center, SPC 5362, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
N Engl J Med 366:216-24. 2012
Patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection who have not had a response to therapy with peginterferon and ribavirin may benefit from the addition of multiple direct-acting antiviral agents to their treatment regimen.
- Permissive secondary mutations enable the evolution of influenza oseltamivir resistance
Jesse D Bloom
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Science 328:1272-5. 2010
..An understanding of this process may provide a basis for predicting the evolution of oseltamivir resistance in other influenza strains...
- IFN-lambdas mediate antiviral protection through a distinct class II cytokine receptor complex
Sergei V Kotenko
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Nat Immunol 4:69-77. 2003
..This receptor-ligand system may contribute to antiviral or other defenses by a mechanism similar to, but independent of, type I IFNs...
- Dual therapy with the nonstructural protein 5A inhibitor, daclatasvir, and the nonstructural protein 3 protease inhibitor, asunaprevir, in hepatitis C virus genotype 1b-infected null responders
Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Hepatology 55:742-8. 2012
..There was no viral breakthrough. Diarrhea and headache, generally mild, were the most common adverse events; transaminase elevations were reported in 3 patients, but did not result in discontinuation...
- Strategies for containing an emerging influenza pandemic in Southeast Asia
Neil M Ferguson
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Nature 437:209-14. 2005
..Policy effectiveness depends critically on how quickly clinical cases are diagnosed and the speed with which antiviral drugs can be distributed...
- Lamivudine for patients with chronic hepatitis B and advanced liver disease
Yun Fan Liaw
Liver Research Unit, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and University, Taipei, Taiwan
N Engl J Med 351:1521-31. 2004
..The effectiveness of antiviral therapy in preventing disease progression in patients with chronic hepatitis B and advanced fibrosis or cirrhosis is unknown...
- Nucleotide polymerase inhibitor sofosbuvir plus ribavirin for hepatitis C
Edward J Gane
New Zealand Liver Transplant Unit, Auckland City Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
N Engl J Med 368:34-44. 2013
..We evaluated sofosbuvir, an oral nucleotide inhibitor of HCV polymerase, in interferon-sparing and interferon-free regimens for the treatment of HCV infection...
- Antiviral agents for the treatment and chemoprophylaxis of influenza --- recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)
Anthony E Fiore
Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC, 1600 Clifton Road, N E, MS A 20, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 60:1-24. 2011
..previous recommendations by CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) regarding the use of antiviral agents for the prevention and treatment of influenza (CDC...
- Strategies for mitigating an influenza pandemic
Neil M Ferguson
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Nature 442:448-52. 2006
..Estimates of policy effectiveness will change if the characteristics of a future pandemic strain differ substantially from those seen in past pandemics...
- Complete replication of hepatitis C virus in cell culture
Brett D Lindenbach
Center for the Study of Hepatitis C, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 309:623-6. 2005
..HCVcc replication was inhibited by interferon-alpha and by several HCV-specific antiviral compounds, suggesting that this in vitro system will aid in the search for improved antivirals...
- Antiviral strategies in hepatitis C virus infection
Klinikum der JW Goethe Universität, Medizinische Klinik 1, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Hepatol 56:S88-100. 2012
..However, new drugs may be associated with troublesome side effects and drugdrug interactions, and the ideal IFN-free DAA combination remains to be found...
- Peginterferon alfa-2b or alfa-2a with ribavirin for treatment of hepatitis C infection
John G McHutchison
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27715, USA
N Engl J Med 361:580-93. 2009
..Treatment guidelines recommend the use of peginterferon alfa-2b or peginterferon alfa-2a in combination with ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. However, these regimens have not been adequately compared...
- Treating viral hepatitis C: efficacy, side effects, and complications
M P Manns
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Medical School of Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Gut 55:1350-9. 2006
..This review describes the efficacy and optimisation of the current standard therapy of hepatitis C and its problems in special patient populations. New treatment directions beyond interferon alpha based therapies are on the horizon...
- New protease inhibitors for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C: a cost-effectiveness analysis
Center for Health Policy, Stanford University, CA, USA
Ann Intern Med 156:279-90. 2012
..Protease inhibitors increase the effectiveness of standard therapy, but they are costly. A genetic assay may identify patients most likely to benefit from this treatment advance...
- EGFR and EphA2 are host factors for hepatitis C virus entry and possible targets for antiviral therapy
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U748, Strasbourg, France
Nat Med 17:589-95. 2011
..Inhibition of RTK function may constitute a new approach for prevention and treatment of HCV infection...
- Resistance to direct antiviral agents in patients with hepatitis C virus infection
J W Goethe University Hospital, Medizinische Klinik 1, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Gastroenterology 138:447-62. 2010
..We review the parameters that determine resistance, genotypic and phenotypic resistance profiles of DAA agents, and strategies to avoid the selection of resistant variants...
- Chemical genetics strategy identifies an HCV NS5A inhibitor with a potent clinical effect
Department of Virology, Bristol Myers Squibb Research and Development, 5 Research Parkway, Wallingford, Connecticut 06492, USA
Nature 465:96-100. 2010
..The development of direct-acting antiviral agents to treat HCV has focused predominantly on inhibitors of the viral enzymes NS3 protease and the RNA-dependent ..
- Treatment failure and resistance with direct-acting antiviral drugs against hepatitis C virus
Jean Michel Pawlotsky
Department of Virology, Hopital Henri Mondor, Université Paris Est Créteil, France
Hepatology 53:1742-51. 2011
- Risk factors for hospitalisation and poor outcome with pandemic A/H1N1 influenza: United Kingdom first wave (May-September 2009)
J S Nguyen-Van-Tam
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham, Clinical Sciences Building, City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Thorax 65:645-51. 2010
..The clinical characteristics of UK patients hospitalised with pandemic H1N1 infection and risk factors for severe outcome are described...
- Telaprevir for previously treated chronic HCV infection
John G McHutchison
Duke Clinical Research Institute and Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 362:1292-303. 2010
..Patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C virus (HCV) who do not have a sustained response to therapy with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin have a low likelihood of success with retreatment...
- Species-specific exclusion of APOBEC3G from HIV-1 virions by Vif
Infectious Disease Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cell 114:21-31. 2003
..Together these findings suggest that therapeutic intervention that either induced APOBEC3G or blocked its interaction with Vif could be clinically beneficial...
- A new standard of care for the treatment of chronic HCV infection
Wolf Peter Hofmann
Medizinische Klinik 1, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt am Main 60590, Germany
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:257-64. 2011
The introduction of direct acting antiviral agents (DAAs) will markedly change treatment options for individuals who have a chronic HCV infection...
- Influenza hemagglutinin and neuraminidase membrane glycoproteins
Steven J Gamblin
Medical Research Council, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 285:28403-9. 2010
..Resistance to one of the two main antiviral drugs is differentially acquired by the two distinct subsets of neuraminidase as a consequence of structural differences in the enzyme active site between the two phylogenetic groups...
- Hepatic ISG expression is associated with genetic variation in interleukin 28B and the outcome of IFN therapy for chronic hepatitis C
Department of Gastroenterology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa, Japan
Gastroenterology 139:499-509. 2010
..Multiple viral and host factors are related to the treatment response to pegylated-interferon and ribavirin combination therapy; however, the clinical relevance and relationship of these factors have not yet been fully evaluated...
- Modeling shows that the NS5A inhibitor daclatasvir has two modes of action and yields a shorter estimate of the hepatitis C virus half-life
Theoretical Biology and Biophysics, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:3991-6. 2013
..The multiscale modeling approach, validated with in vitro kinetic experiments, brings a unique conceptual framework for understanding the mechanism of action of a variety of agents in development for the treatment of HCV...
- Lambda interferon inhibits hepatitis B and C virus replication
Michael D Robek
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, USA
J Virol 79:3851-4. 2005
..These results suggest the possibility that IFN-lambda may be therapeutically useful in the treatment of chronic HBV or HCV infection...
- Telaprevir with peginterferon and ribavirin for treatment-naive patients chronically infected with HCV of genotype 1 in Japan
Department of Hepatology, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Hepatol 56:78-84. 2012
..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of telaprevir in combination with peginterferon-α2b (PEG-IFN) and ribavirin (RBV) in patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- Telaprevir and pegylated interferon-alpha-2a inhibit wild-type and resistant genotype 1 hepatitis C virus replication in patients
Tara L Kieffer
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Hepatology 46:631-9. 2007
- In vitro and in vivo characterization of new swine-origin H1N1 influenza viruses
Department of Pathology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Ohtsu, Shiga 520 2192, Japan
Nature 460:1021-5. 2009
..Finally, we show that CA04 is sensitive to approved and experimental antiviral drugs, suggesting that these compounds could function as a first line of defence against the recently declared S-OIV pandemic...
- Hepatitis B virus infection
Jules L Dienstag
Gastrointestinal Unit Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Department of Medicine and Office of the Dean for Medical Education, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1486-500. 2008
Karl G Nicholson
Infectious Diseases Unit, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, UK
Lancet 362:1733-45. 2003
- Lambda interferon (IFN-lambda), a type III IFN, is induced by viruses and IFNs and displays potent antiviral activity against select virus infections in vivo
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Virol 80:4501-9. 2006
- Hepatitis C virus resistance to protease inhibitors
Virological Departement Laboratoire Alphabio, Hopital Ambroise Pare, Marseille, France
J Hepatol 55:192-206. 2011
- Characterization of resistance to the protease inhibitor boceprevir in hepatitis C virus-infected patients
JW Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Hepatology 50:1709-18. 2009
..Mathematical modeling revealed impaired replicative fitness for all single mutations, whereas for combined mutations a relative increase of replication efficiency was suggested...
- Replicated association between an IL28B gene variant and a sustained response to pegylated interferon and ribavirin
Jeanette J McCarthy
Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Gastroenterology 138:2307-14. 2010
..We investigated the association between the polymorphism rs12979860 and treatment response in a diverse cohort of chronic HCV patients...
- Neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza
Department of Pediatrics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1363-73. 2005
- Ultra-deep pyrosequencing of hepatitis B virus quasispecies from nucleoside and nucleotide reverse-transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI)-treated patients and NRTI-naive patients
Department of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
J Infect Dis 199:1275-85. 2009
..UDPS detected low-prevalence HBV variants with NRTI-resistance mutations, G-to-A hypermutation, and low-level dual genotype infection with a sensitivity not previously possible...
- A comparison of entecavir and lamivudine for HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B
Ting Tsung Chang
National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Tainan, Taiwan
N Engl J Med 354:1001-10. 2006
..Entecavir is a potent and selective guanosine analogue with significant activity against hepatitis B virus (HBV)...
- New direct-acting antiviral agents for the treatment of hepatitis C virus infection and perspectives
Department of Internal Medicine I, J W Goethe University Hospital, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Gut 61:i36-46. 2012
..HCV therapy has been revolutionised recently by the approval of two direct-acting antiviral agents (DAA) against the NS3/4A serine protease for use in genotype 1 HCV, the ketoamide inhibitors boceprevir and ..
- Correlates of severe disease in patients with 2009 pandemic influenza (H1N1) virus infection
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, CancerCare Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba
CMAJ 182:257-64. 2010
..The objective of this study was to identify factors correlated with severity of disease in confirmed cases of pandemic H1N1 influenza...
- Mechanism of action of interferon and ribavirin in treatment of hepatitis C
Jordan J Feld
Liver Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Building 31, Room 9A27, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 436:967-72. 2005
..To optimize current therapeutic strategies and to develop new therapies, a better understanding of the mechanism of action of IFN and ribavirin will be essential...
- Interferons alpha and lambda inhibit hepatitis C virus replication with distinct signal transduction and gene regulation kinetics
Center for the Study of Hepatitis C, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Gastroenterology 131:1887-98. 2006
..We aimed to determine whether IFN-lambda exhibits antiviral activity toward HCV and to compare the signal transduction and effector gene pathways with those of IFN-alpha...
- Influenza: old and new threats
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Nat Med 10:S82-7. 2004
- High-content assay to identify inhibitors of dengue virus infection
HTS Core Facility, Molecular Pharmacology and Chemistry Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10065, USA
Assay Drug Dev Technol 8:553-70. 2010
..In summary, this assay offers the opportunity to screen libraries of chemical compounds, in an effort to identify and develop novel drug candidates against DENV infections...
- Insulin resistance impairs sustained response rate to peginterferon plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C patients
Hepatology Unit, Hospital Universitario de Valme, Sevilla, Spain
Gastroenterology 128:636-41. 2005
..We evaluated the effect of insulin resistance and viral factors on sustained virological response in patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with peginterferon plus ribavirin...
- Randomized study of peginterferon-alpha2a plus ribavirin vs peginterferon-alpha2b plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C
Maria Grazia Rumi
AM Migliavacca Center for Liver Disease, First Division of Gastroenterology, Fondazione IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Gastroenterology 138:108-15. 2010
..Due to the lack of head-to-head studies, the 2 PegIFNs have not been directly compared. The endpoints of our study were safety and antiviral efficacy of the 2 regimens...
- Hemorrhagic fever viruses as biological weapons: medical and public health management
Johns Hopkins Center for Civilian Biodefense Strategies, Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health, 111 Market Pl, Suite 830, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
JAMA 287:2391-405. 2002
..To develop consensus-based recommendations for measures to be taken by medical and public health professionals if hemorrhagic fever viruses (HFVs) are used as biological weapons against a civilian population...
- Interferon-induced Mx proteins in antiviral host defense
Abteilung Virologie, Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Universitat Freiburg, D 79008 Freiburg, Germany
Biochimie 89:812-8. 2007
..As a consequence, these viral components are trapped and sorted to locations where they become unavailable for the generation of new virus particles...
- Systems-level metabolic flux profiling identifies fatty acid synthesis as a target for antiviral therapy
Department of Molecular Biology, Lewis Thomas Laboratory, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544, USA
Nat Biotechnol 26:1179-86. 2008
..These results show that fatty acid synthesis is essential for the replication of two divergent enveloped viruses and that systems-level metabolic flux profiling can identify metabolic targets for antiviral therapy...
- Sustained virologic response and clinical outcomes in patients with chronic hepatitis C and advanced fibrosis
Bart J Veldt
Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Intern Med 147:677-84. 2007
..Clinical outcomes of chronic hepatitis C infection in patients with advanced fibrosis include liver failure, hepatocellular carcinoma, and death...
- Peginterferon Alfa-2a, lamivudine, and the combination for HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B
George K K Lau
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
N Engl J Med 352:2682-95. 2005
- Broad antiretroviral defence by human APOBEC3G through lethal editing of nascent reverse transcripts
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Nature 424:99-103. 2003
..We also find that APOBEC3G can act on a broad range of retroviruses in addition to HIV, suggesting that hypermutation by editing is a general innate defence mechanism against this important group of pathogens...
- Resistance of herpes simplex viruses to nucleoside analogues: mechanisms, prevalence, and management
Centre de Recherche en Infectiologie, Universite Laval, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:459-72. 2011
..There is a need to develop new antiherpetic compounds with different mechanisms of action...
- ITPA gene variants protect against anaemia in patients treated for chronic hepatitis C
Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Center for Human Genome Variation, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Nature 464:405-8. 2010
..Here we show that genetic variants leading to inosine triphosphatase deficiency, a condition not thought to be clinically important, protect against haemolytic anaemia in hepatitis-C-infected patients receiving RBV...
- Cyclosporin A suppresses replication of hepatitis C virus genome in cultured hepatocytes
Laboratory of Human Tumor Viruses, Department of Viral Oncology, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Hepatology 38:1282-8. 2003
..This anti-HCV activity of CsA appeared to be independent of its immunosuppressive function. In conclusion, our results suggest that CsA may represent a new approach for the development of anti-HCV therapy...
- Long-term monitoring shows hepatitis B virus resistance to entecavir in nucleoside-naïve patients is rare through 5 years of therapy
Daniel J Tenney
Bristol Myers Squibb Company Research and Development, Wallingford, CT 06492, USA
Hepatology 49:1503-14. 2009
..Importantly, only four patients who achieved < 300 copies/mL HBV DNA subsequently developed ETVr...
- Entecavir versus lamivudine for patients with HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B
Ching Lung Lai
Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
N Engl J Med 354:1011-20. 2006
..Entecavir is a potent and selective antiviral agent that has demonstrated efficacy in phase 2 studies in patients with hepatitis B e antigen (HBeAg)-negative chronic hepatitis B...
- Hydrolyzable tannins (chebulagic acid and punicalagin) target viral glycoprotein-glycosaminoglycan interactions to inhibit herpes simplex virus 1 entry and cell-to-cell spread
Liang Tzung Lin
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Virol 85:4386-98. 2011
- Mechanism of action of T-705 against influenza virus
Research Laboratories, Toyama Chemical Co, Ltd, 2 4 1 Shimookui, Toyama 930 8508, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:981-6. 2005
..These results suggest that T-705RTP, which is generated in infected cells, may function as a specific inhibitor of influenza virus RNA polymerase and contributes to the selective anti-influenza virus activity of T-705...
- Telaprevir with peginterferon and ribavirin for chronic HCV genotype 1 infection
John G McHutchison
Duke Clinical Research Institute and Duke University, Durham, NC 27715, USA
N Engl J Med 360:1827-38. 2009
..Telaprevir, a protease inhibitor specific to the HCV nonstructural 3/4A serine protease, rapidly reduced HCV RNA levels in early studies...
- Efficacy of boceprevir, an NS3 protease inhibitor, in combination with peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in treatment-naive patients with genotype 1 hepatitis C infection (SPRINT-1): an open-label, randomised, multicentre phase 2 trial
Paul Y Kwo
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5121, USA
Lancet 376:705-16. 2010
..We tested the efficacy of boceprevir, an NS3 hepatitis C virus oral protease inhibitor, when added to peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin...
- Telaprevir alone or with peginterferon and ribavirin reduces HCV RNA in patients with chronic genotype 2 but not genotype 3 infections
Graham R Foster
Queen Marys University of London, Blizard Institute of Cellular and Molecular Science, London, UK
Gastroenterology 141:881-889.e1. 2011
..We evaluated antiviral activity of 2 weeks therapy with telaprevir alone, peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin (PR), or all 3 drugs (TPR) in treatment-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 2 or 3 infections...
- Phenotypic characterization of resistant Val36 variants of hepatitis C virus NS3-4A serine protease
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, 130 Waverly Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:110-20. 2008
..Finally, the sensitivity of these replicon variants to alpha interferon or ribavirin remained unchanged compared to that of the wild-type...
- Ribavirin can be mutagenic for arenaviruses
Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa CSIC UAM, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Campus de Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
J Virol 85:7246-55. 2011
..Our findings suggest that the antiviral activity of ribavirin on arenaviruses might be exerted, at least partially, by lethal mutagenesis. Implications for antiarenavirus therapy are discussed...
- Severity of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in pregnant women
Andreea A Creanga
Epidemic Intelligence Service Program, Office of Workforce and Career Development, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Atlanta, GA 30341 3717, USA
Obstet Gynecol 115:717-26. 2010
..To examine 2009 H1N1 influenza illness severity and the effect of antiviral treatment on the severity of illness among pregnant women...
- Effect of telaprevir on the pharmacokinetics of cyclosporine and tacrolimus
Clinical Trials and Medical Information, Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Hepatology 54:20-7. 2011
..67) hours to 42.1 (11.3) hours and t(½) of tacrolimus from a mean (SD) of 40.7 (5.85) hours to 196 (159) hours...
- Influenza in immunosuppressed populations: a review of infection frequency, morbidity, mortality, and vaccine responses
Ken M Kunisaki
Pulmonary Section, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 9:493-504. 2009
..Randomised clinical trial data were limited to one study of HIV-infected patients with high vaccine efficacy. Better trial data would inform vaccination recommendations on the basis of efficacy and cost in these at-risk populations...
- Hospitalized patients with 2009 H1N1 influenza in the United States, April-June 2009
Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
N Engl J Med 361:1935-44. 2009
..We describe the clinical characteristics of patients who were hospitalized with 2009 H1N1 influenza in the United States from April 2009 to mid-June 2009...
- Peginterferon-alpha2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose
Stephanos J Hadziyannis
Department of Medicine and Hepatology, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece
Ann Intern Med 140:346-55. 2004
..Treatment with pegylated interferon (peginterferon) and ribavirin for 48 weeks is more effective than conventional interferon and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- Viral hepatitis in HIV infection
Margaret James Koziel
Division of Infectious Disease, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1445-54. 2007
- Broad-spectrum inhibition of retroviral and filoviral particle release by tetherin
Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, Rockefeller University, New York, New York, USA
J Virol 83:1837-44. 2009
..Overall, tetherin is potentially active against many enveloped viruses and likely to be an important component of the antiviral innate immune defense...
- Antiviral actions of interferons
C E Samuel
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106 9610, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 14:778-809, table of contents. 2001
..The use of these IFN system reagents, both in cell culture and in whole animals, continues to provide important contributions to our understanding of the virus-host interaction and cellular antiviral response...
- Management of hepatitis B: summary of a clinical research workshop
Jay H Hoofnagle
Liver Disease Research Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Hepatology 45:1056-75. 2007
..Clearly, many basic and clinical research challenges remain in defining optimal means of management of chronic hepatitis B...
- Viral loads and duration of viral shedding in adult patients hospitalized with influenza
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Stanley Ho Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
J Infect Dis 200:492-500. 2009
..The goal of this study was to characterize viral loads and factors affecting viral clearance in persons with severe influenza...
- Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C
Doris B Strader
Fletcher Allen Health Care University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VA, USA
Hepatology 39:1147-71. 2004
- Naturally occurring dominant resistance mutations to hepatitis C virus protease and polymerase inhibitors in treatment-naïve patients
Partners AIDS Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Hepatology 48:1769-78. 2008
..Viral loads were high in the majority of these patients, suggesting that drug-resistant viral strains might achieve replication levels comparable to nonresistant viruses in vivo...
- Evolution, safety, and highly pathogenic influenza viruses
Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics and Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 336:1529-31. 2012
..Thus, we propose that future experiments with virulent pathogens whose accidental or deliberate release could lead to extensive spread in human populations should be limited by explicit risk-benefit considerations...
- Association of amino acid substitution pattern in core protein of hepatitis C virus genotype 1b high viral load and non-virological response to interferon-ribavirin combination therapy
Department of Gastroenterology, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Intervirology 48:372-80. 2005
..Non-virological responders (NVRs, namely ultimate resistant cases) who do not achieve HCV-RNA negativity during treatment are also encountered. We investigated the pretreatment virological features of NVRs...
- Antivirals and resistance: influenza virus
Michael G Ison
Division of Infectious Diseases, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
Curr Opin Virol 1:563-73. 2011
..In this paper, we will review the currently approved and investigational antiviral agents and the mechanisms of resistance that impact their activity.
- AVPpred: collection and prediction of highly effective antiviral peptides
Bioinformatics Centre, CSIR Institute of Microbial Technology, Sector 39 A, Chandigarh 160036, India
Nucleic Acids Res 40:W199-204. 2012
..The web server is freely available at http://crdd.osdd.net/servers/avppred...
- Broadly directed virus-specific CD4+ T cell responses are primed during acute hepatitis C infection, but rapidly disappear from human blood with viral persistence
Julian Schulze zur Wiesch
Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Exp Med 209:61-75. 2012
..The data further suggest a short window of opportunity to prevent the loss of CD4(+) T cell responses through antiviral therapy...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin is more effective than peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for treating chronic hepatitis C virus infection
Department of Gastroenterology, Liver Unit, Cardarelli Hospital, Napoli, Italy
Gastroenterology 138:116-22. 2010
..This study compared the efficacy and safety of peginterferon alfa-2a and peginterferon alfa-2b, each in combination with ribavirin...
- UK consensus guidelines for the use of the protease inhibitors boceprevir and telaprevir in genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C infected patients
Department of Gastroenterology, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 35:647-62. 2012
..However, the addition of these new agents will increase the complexity of therapeutic regimens, the rates of side-effects and costs...
- Description of antiviral treatment among adults hospitalized with influenza before and during the 2009 pandemic: United States, 2005-2009
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Infect Dis 204:1848-56. 2011
..We compared antiviral use among adults hospitalized with influenza before and during the pandemic...
- Evidence of person-to-person transmission of oseltamivir-resistant pandemic influenza A(H1N1) 2009 virus in a hematology unit
Public Health Wales Microbiology, Public Health Wales NHS Trust, Cardiff, UK
J Infect Dis 203:18-24. 2011
..Zanamivir should be considered as first-line therapy for influenza in patients with lymphopenic hematological conditions and uptake of influenza vaccination encouraged to further reduce the number of susceptible individuals...