- Fucoidan: structure and bioactivity
School of Food Science, Henan Institute of Science and Technology, Xinxiang 453003, Henan, P R China
Molecules 13:1671-95. 2008
..This review summarizes the research progress on the structure and bioactivity of fucoidan and the relationships between structure and bioactivity...
- Human monoclonal antibody 2G12 defines a distinctive neutralization epitope on the gp120 glycoprotein of human immunodeficiency virus type 1
Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA
J Virol 70:1100-8. 1996
..consistent with this, antibodies able to block 2G12 binding to recombinant gp120 were not detected in significant quantities in 16 HIV-positive human serum samples...
- Carbohydrate-binding modules: fine-tuning polysaccharide recognition
Alisdair B Boraston
Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Victoria, PO Box 3055 STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada V8W 3P6
Biochem J 382:769-81. 2004
The enzymic degradation of insoluble polysaccharides is one of the most important reactions on earth...
- A comparative study of the anti-inflammatory, anticoagulant, antiangiogenic, and antiadhesive activities of nine different fucoidans from brown seaweeds
Department of Oncology and Neurosciences, University G D Annunzio Medical School and Foundation, 66013 Chieti, Italy, and Division of Immunogenetics, Hospital de Clinicas Jose de San Martin, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Glycobiology 17:541-52. 2007
..evaluation of P-selectin-mediated neutrophil adhesion to platelets under flow conditions revealed that only polysaccharides from Laminaria saccharina, L. digitata, Fucus evanescens, F. serratus, F. distichus, F...
- Glycosylation in cellular mechanisms of health and disease
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive MC0625, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell 126:855-67. 2006
..This review discusses the increasingly sophisticated molecular mechanisms being discovered by which mammalian glycosylation governs physiology and contributes to disease...
- Fucoidan extract induces apoptosis in MCF-7 cells via a mechanism involving the ROS-dependent JNK activation and mitochondria-mediated pathways
Graduate School of Bioresource and Bioenvironmental Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e27441. 2011
..The present study was carried out to investigate the anti-tumor properties of FE in human carcinoma cells and further examine the underlying mechanisms of its activities...
- Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides: immunomodulation and potential anti-tumor activities
Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, University of Macau, Macau, P R China
Am J Chin Med 39:15-27. 2011
..lucidum, such as triterpenoids, polysaccharides, nucleosides, sterols, and alkaloids, among others. This paper examines the potential role of G...
- Printed covalent glycan array for ligand profiling of diverse glycan binding proteins
Glycan Synthesis and Protein Expression Core D, Consortium for Functional Glycomics, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:17033-8. 2004
- HPLC-based analysis of serum N-glycans on a 96-well plate platform with dedicated database software
Department of Biochemistry, Glycobiology Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Anal Biochem 376:1-12. 2008
..This technology is also suitable for preparing released glycans for other analytical techniques. Here we demonstrate its application to rheumatoid arthritis using 5 microl of patient serum...
- Biomass recalcitrance: engineering plants and enzymes for biofuels production
Michael E Himmel
Chemical and Biosciences Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO 80401, USA
Science 315:804-7. 2007
..To achieve sustainable energy production, it will be necessary to overcome the chemical and structural properties that have evolved in biomass to prevent its disassembly...
- The structure, function, and biosynthesis of plant cell wall pectic polysaccharides
Kerry Hosmer Caffall
University of Georgia, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, Athens, 30602, United States
Carbohydr Res 344:1879-900. 2009
..There is a diversity of polysaccharides that make up the wall and that are classified as one of three types: cellulose, hemicellulose, or pectin...
- Therapies from fucoidan; multifunctional marine polymers
Janet Helen Fitton
Marinova Pty Ltd, 249 Kennedy Drive, Cambridge, Tasmania 7170, Australia
Mar Drugs 9:1731-60. 2011
..In recent years, the production of well characterized reproducible fucoidan fractions on a commercial scale has become possible making therapies from fucoidan a realizable goal...
- Complex glycan catabolism by the human gut microbiota: the Bacteroidetes Sus-like paradigm
Eric C Martens
Center for Genome Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
J Biol Chem 284:24673-7. 2009
..These systems provide insights into how gut, as well as terrestrial and aquatic, Bacteroidetes survive in highly competitive ecosystems...
- Mucosal glycan foraging enhances fitness and transmission of a saccharolytic human gut bacterial symbiont
Eric C Martens
Center for Genome Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Cell Host Microbe 4:447-57. 2008
..Thus, PUL-mediated glycan catabolism is an important component in gut colonization and may impact microbiota ecology...
- The XTH family of enzymes involved in xyloglucan endotransglucosylation and endohydrolysis: current perspectives and a new unifying nomenclature
Jocelyn K C Rose
Department of Plant Biology, 228 Plant Science Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1421-35. 2002
- Intracellular functions of N-linked glycans
Institute of Biochemistry, , , , Switzerland
Science 291:2364-9. 2001
..The division of synthesis and processing between the ER and the Golgi complex represents an evolutionary adaptation that allows efficient exploitation of the potential of oligosaccharides...
- Fucoidans from brown seaweeds Sargassum hornery, Eclonia cava, Costaria costata: structural characteristics and anticancer activity
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, 690022, Russia
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 164:841-50. 2011
..The results clearly showed that fucoidans play an inhibitory role in colony formation in human melanoma and colon cancer cells and may be effective antitumor agents...
- Recognition and degradation of plant cell wall polysaccharides by two human gut symbionts
Eric C Martens
Center for Genome Sciences and Systems Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
PLoS Biol 9:e1001221. 2011
..These polysaccharides are not digested by human enzymes, but are processed to absorbable short chain fatty acids by gut bacteria...
- Glycosylation and the immune system
P M Rudd
The Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Science 291:2370-6. 2001
..For example, in rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease, agalactosylated glycoforms of aggregated immunoglobulin G may induce association with the mannose-binding lectin and contribute to the pathology...
- Variable loop glycan dependency of the broad and potent HIV-1-neutralizing antibodies PG9 and PG16
Katie J Doores
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Virol 84:10510-21. 2010
..This information may be valuable for the design of immunogens to elicit PG9 and PG16-like antibodies, as well as constructs for cocrystallization studies...
- Envelope glycans of immunodeficiency virions are almost entirely oligomannose antigens
Katie J Doores
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science and International AIDS Vaccine Initiative Neutralizing Antibody Center, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13800-5. 2010
..This study revises and extends our understanding of the glycan shield of HIV with implications for AIDS vaccine design...
- Structure of a fucoidan from the brown seaweed Fucus evanescens C.Ag
Maria I Bilan
N D Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninskii prosp 47, 119991 Moscow, Russian Federation
Carbohydr Res 337:719-30. 2002
..NMR spectroscopy, and the data obtained were confirmed by methylation analysis of the native and desulfated polysaccharides. The fucoidan was shown to contain a linear backbone of alternating 3- and 4-linked alpha-L-fucopyranose 2-..
- A genomic view of the human-Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron symbiosis
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Science 299:2074-6. 2003
..proteome includes an elaborate apparatus for acquiring and hydrolyzing otherwise indigestible dietary polysaccharides and an associated environment-sensing system consisting of a large repertoire of extracytoplasmic function ..
- Bioconversion of lignocellulosic biomass: biochemical and molecular perspectives
Radiation Biotechnology Unit, Division of Radiation Biology and Radiation Protection, Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences, New Delhi, 110054 India
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35:377-91. 2008
- Ligands for the beta-glucan receptor, Dectin-1, assigned using "designer" microarrays of oligosaccharide probes (neoglycolipids) generated from glucan polysaccharides
Angelina S Palma
Glycosciences Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Northwick Park and St Mark s Campus, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 281:5771-9. 2006
..zymosan, a particulate beta-glucan-rich extract of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and binding is inhibited by polysaccharides rich in beta1,3- or both beta1,3- and beta1,6-linked glucose...
- Biosynthesis and assembly of capsular polysaccharides in Escherichia coli
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Annu Rev Biochem 75:39-68. 2006
..The remarkable structural diversity in capsular polysaccharides is illustrated by almost 80 capsular serotypes in Escherichia coli...
- Generation of glyco-engineered Nicotiana benthamiana for the production of monoclonal antibodies with a homogeneous human-like N-glycan structure
Institute of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Muthgasse 18, 1190 Vienna, Austria
Plant Biotechnol J 6:392-402. 2008
..The generated RNAi lines were stable, viable and did not show any obvious phenotype, thus providing a robust tool for the production of therapeutically relevant glycoproteins in plants with a humanized N-glycan structure...
- N-glycosylation of colorectal cancer tissues: a liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry-based investigation
Crina I A Balog
Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry Unit, Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Proteomics 11:571-85. 2012
- The antiviral activities and mechanisms of marine polysaccharides: an overview
Key Laboratory of Marine Drugs, Ministry of Education, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266003, China
Mar Drugs 10:2795-816. 2012
Recently, the studies on the antiviral activities of marine natural products, especially marine polysaccharides, are attracting more and more attention all over the world...
- An overview of mannan structure and mannan-degrading enzyme systems
L R S Moreira
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Laboratorio De Enzimologia, Universidade de Brasilia, CEP 70910 900 Brasilia, DF, Brazil
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 79:165-78. 2008
..Mannan-degrading enzymes have found applications in the pharmaceutical, food, feed, and pulp and paper industries. This review reports the structure of mannans and some biochemical properties and applications of mannan-degrading enzymes...
- Role of complex carbohydrates in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection and resistance to antibody neutralization
James M Binley
Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, 3550 General Atomics Court, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
J Virol 84:5637-55. 2010
- Marine polysaccharides: a source of bioactive molecules for cell therapy and tissue engineering
Seadev FermenSys SAS, Technopole Brest Iroise, France
Mar Drugs 9:1664-81. 2011
The therapeutic potential of natural bioactive compounds such as polysaccharides, especially glycosaminoglycans, is now well documented, and this activity combined with natural biodiversity will allow the development of a new generation ..
- Rapid development of glycan-specific, broad, and potent anti-HIV-1 gp120 neutralizing antibodies in an R5 SIV/HIV chimeric virus infected macaque
Laura M Walker
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science and International AIDS Vaccine Initiative Neutralizing Antibody Center, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:20125-9. 2011
- Glycan labeling strategies and their use in identification and quantification
L R Ruhaak
Biomolecular Mass Spectrometry Unit, Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Anal Bioanal Chem 397:3457-81. 2010
..In this review, various aspects of glycan labeling, separation, and detection strategies are discussed...
- AXY8 encodes an α-fucosidase, underscoring the importance of apoplastic metabolism on the fine structure of Arabidopsis cell wall polysaccharides
University of California, Berkeley, California, 94720, USA
Plant Cell 23:4025-40. 2011
..Furthermore, without the dominant apoplastic glycosylhydrolases, the XyG structure in the wall is mainly composed of XXXG and XXFG subunits...
- Plant cell wall polymers as precursors for biofuels
DOE Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, DOE Plant Research Lab, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 13:305-12. 2010
..This new knowledge will be a valuable resource that can be used during efforts to generate designer biofuel crops using either selected breeding methods or recombinant DNA techniques...
- Outer chain N-glycans are required for cell wall integrity and virulence of Candida albicans
School of Medical Sciences, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 281:90-8. 2006
..This demonstrates the importance of N-glycan outer chain epitopes to the host-fungal interaction and virulence...
- Mammalian glycosylation in immunity
Jamey D Marth
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 8:874-87. 2008
..This Review focuses on the emerging immunological roles of the mammalian glycome...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of immunoglobulin G resulting from Fc sialylation
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Immunology, Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 313:670-3. 2006
..This differential sialylation may provide a switch from innate anti-inflammatory activity in the steady state to generating adaptive pro-inflammatory effects upon antigenic challenge...
- Fucoidan induces apoptosis of human HS-sultan cells accompanied by activation of caspase-3 and down-regulation of ERK pathways
Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Hematol 78:7-14. 2005
..These results demonstrate that fucoidan has direct anti-cancer effects on human HS-Sultan cells through caspase and ERK pathways...
- Statistical analysis of the protein environment of N-glycosylation sites: implications for occupancy, structure, and folding
Andrei J Petrescu
Oxford Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QU, U K
Glycobiology 14:103-14. 2004
..Hydrophobic protein-glycan interactions and the low accessibility of glycosylation sites in folded proteins are common features and may be critical in mediating these functions...
- Heterofucans from Dictyota menstrualis have anticoagulant activity
I R L Albuquerque
Laboratório de Biotecnologia de Polímeros Naturais, Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte, 59072 970 Natal, RN, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:167-71. 2004
Fucan is a term used to denote a family of sulfated L-fucose-rich polysaccharides which are present in the extracellular matrix of brown seaweed and in the egg jelly coat of sea urchins...
- Specificity of polysaccharide use in intestinal bacteroides species determines diet-induced microbiota alterations
Erica D Sonnenburg
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Cell 141:1241-52. 2010
..elucidate the basis of Bacteroides proliferation in response to fructans, a class of fructose-based dietary polysaccharides. Structural and genetic analysis disclosed a fructose-binding, hybrid two-component signaling sensor that ..
- Glycosylation, galectins and cellular signaling
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Curr Opin Cell Biol 23:383-92. 2011
..Many important questions remain concerning the regulation of the galectins, the glycan ligands and lattice interaction with other membrane domains and endocytic pathways...
- N-Glycans in cancer progression
Ken S Lau
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Glycobiology 18:750-60. 2008
..These studies suggest a systems approach to cancer treatment where the surface distribution of receptors is targeted through metabolism and N-glycan branching to induce growth arrest...
- ARABINAN DEFICIENT 1 is a putative arabinosyltransferase involved in biosynthesis of pectic arabinan in Arabidopsis
Plant Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Plant Biology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, 40 Thorvaldsensvej, DK 1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Plant Physiol 140:49-58. 2006
..Analysis of cell wall polysaccharides isolated from leaves and stems showed that arabinose content was reduced to about 75% and 46%, respectively, ..
- GlycoWorkbench: a tool for the computer-assisted annotation of mass spectra of glycans
Division of Molecular Biosciences, Imperial College London, London SW72AZ, UK
J Proteome Res 7:1650-9. 2008
..The aim of GlycoWorkbench is to offer complete support for the routine interpretation of MS data. The software is available for download from: http://www.eurocarbdb.org/applications/ms-tools...
- Glycans in cancer and inflammation--potential for therapeutics and diagnostics
Danielle H Dube
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 4:477-88. 2005
..This review highlights changes in glycosylation associated with cancer and chronic inflammation and new therapeutic and diagnostic strategies that are based on the underlying glycobiology...
- Comparison of physicochemical characteristics and anticoagulant activities of polysaccharides from three sea cucumbers
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming 650201, China
Mar Drugs 11:399-417. 2013
In order to search for sulfated polysaccharides in different invertebrate connective tissues and to examine their biological activities, we have isolated three types of polysaccharides from the body wall of the three sea cucumbers ..
- Mechanisms and principles of N-linked protein glycosylation
Institute of Microbiology, Department of Biology, ETH Zurich, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Struct Biol 21:576-82. 2011
..Based on structural, functional, and phylogenetic approaches, this review discusses the highly conserved processes that are at the basis of this unique general protein modification system...
- N-glycomic biomarkers of biological aging and longevity: a link with inflammaging
Department of Experimental Pathology, University of Bologna, Via S Giacomo, 14 I 40126 Bologna, Italy
Ageing Res Rev 12:685-98. 2013
..Thus, altered N-glycans are both powerful markers of aging and possible contributors to its pathogenesis...
- Apoptosis inducing activity of fucoidan in HCT-15 colon carcinoma cells
Jae Hee Hyun
School of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Jeju National University, South Kore
Biol Pharm Bull 32:1760-4. 2009
..These data support the hypothesis that fucoidan may have potential in colon cancer treatment...
- Mucin-type O-glycans in human colon and breast cancer: glycodynamics and functions
Department of Medicine and Biochemistry, Human Mobility Research Centre, Queen s University, Kingston General Hospital, Angada 1, Kingston, Ontario K7L 2V7, Canada
EMBO Rep 7:599-604. 2006
..This review focuses on the glycosyltransferases of colon and breast cancer cells that determine the pathways of mucin-type O-glycosylation, and the proposed functional and pathological consequences of altered O-glycans...
- ESIMS analysis of fucoidan preparations from Costaria costata, extracted from alga at different life-stages
Stanislav D Anastyuk
GB Elyakov Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Far Eastern Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, 100 Let Vladivostoku Prosp 159, 690022 Vladivostok, Russian Federation
Carbohydr Polym 90:993-1002. 2012
..Generative alga in general produced highly sulfated galactofucan having lower MW along with less sulfated mannoglucuronofucan with higher MW, which was extensively synthesized by vegetative algae...
- Fucanomics and galactanomics: marine distribution, medicinal impact, conceptions, and challenges
Vitor H Pomin
Program of Glycobiology, Institute of Medical Biochemistry, and University Hospital Clementino Fraga Filho, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21941 590, Brazil
Mar Drugs 10:793-811. 2012
..Sulfated fucans (SFs) and sulfated galactans (SGs) are relatively new classes of sulfated polysaccharides (SPs) that occur mostly in marine organisms, and exhibit a broad range of medicinal effects...
- Alternative glycosylation modulates function of IgG and other proteins - implications on evolution and disease
University of Zagreb, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, Zagreb, Croatia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1820:1318-26. 2012
..However, contrary to proteins which are defined by their individual genetic templates, glycans are encoded in a complex dynamic network of hundreds of genes which participate in the complex biosynthetic pathway of protein glycosylation...
- Elimination of β-mannose glycan structures in Pichia pastoris
GlycoFi Inc, a Wholly Owned Subsidiary of Merck and Co Inc, 21 Lafayette Street, Suite 200, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Glycobiology 21:1616-26. 2011
..Taken together, the elimination of β-Man containing glycoforms represents an important step forward for the Pichia production platform as a suitable system for the production of therapeutic glycoproteins...
- Bacillus subtilis biofilm induction by plant polysaccharides
Pascale B Beauregard
Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:E1621-30. 2013
..B. subtilis biofilm formation was triggered by certain plant polysaccharides. These polysaccharides served as a signal for biofilm formation transduced via the kinases controlling the ..
- Inhibitory effect of Astragalus polysaccharides on lipopolysaccharide-induced TNF-a and IL-1β production in THP-1 cells
Institute of Basic Research in Clinical Medicine, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Molecules 17:3155-64. 2012
Astragalus polysaccharides (APS), one of main bioactive components in Astragalus membranaceus Bunge, has been reported to possess anti-inflammatory activities, but the molecular mechanisms behind this activity are largely unknown...
- Nasal Acai polysaccharides potentiate innate immunity to protect against pulmonary Francisella tularensis and Burkholderia pseudomallei Infections
Jerod A Skyberg
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana, USA
PLoS Pathog 8:e1002587. 2012
..Several natural agonists were screened for their ability to enhance host resistance to infection, and polysaccharides derived from the Acai berry (Acai PS) were found to have potent abilities as an immunotherapeutic to treat F...
- Fucoidan from Undaria pinnatifida induces apoptosis in A549 human lung carcinoma cells
Hye Jin Boo
School of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Jeju National University, 66 Jejudaehakno, Jeju 690 756, South Korea
Phytother Res 25:1082-6. 2011
..Together, these results indicate that fucoidan induces apoptosis of A549 human lung cancer cells through down-regulation of p38, PI3K/Akt, and the activation of the ERK1/2 MAPK pathway...
- Plant cell walls to ethanol
Douglas B Jordan
USDA Agricultural Research Service, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Peoria, IL 61604, U S A
Biochem J 442:241-52. 2012
- A unique beta1,3-galactosyltransferase is indispensable for the biosynthesis of N-glycans containing Lewis a structures in Arabidopsis thaliana
Institute of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, BOKU, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, A 1190 Viena, Austria
Plant Cell 19:2278-92. 2007
- Structure and interactions of plant cell-wall polysaccharides by two- and three-dimensional magic-angle-spinning solid-state NMR
Department of Chemistry and Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, United States
Biochemistry 50:989-1000. 2011
..NMR and uniformly (13)C-labeled Arabidopsis thaliana, we have assigned the resonances of the major polysaccharides in the intact and insoluble primary CW and determined the intermolecular contacts and dynamics of cellulose, ..
- The antiviral activity of sulfated polysaccharides against dengue virus is dependent on virus serotype and host cell
L B Talarico
Laboratorio de Virologia, Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antiviral Res 66:103-10. 2005
Two homogeneous sulfated polysaccharides obtained from the red seaweeds Gymnogongrus griffithsiae and Cryptonemia crenulata, the kappa/iota/nu carrageenan G3d and the dl-galactan hybrid C2S-3, were assayed for their antiviral properties ..
- Chemical structures and bioactivities of sulfated polysaccharides from marine algae
National Research Council Canada, Institute for Marine Biosciences, Halifax, NS, B3H 3Z1, Canada
Mar Drugs 9:196-223. 2011
Sulfated polysaccharides and their lower molecular weight oligosaccharide derivatives from marine macroalgae have been shown to possess a variety of biological activities...
- Lycium barbarum polysaccharides: Protective effects against heat-induced damage of rat testes and H2O2-induced DNA damage in mouse testicular cells and beneficial effect on sexual behavior and reproductive function of hemicastrated rats
College of Public Health, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, Hubei, PR China
Life Sci 79:613-21. 2006
..b>Polysaccharides are the most important functional constituent in L. barbarum fruits...
- Hypoglycemic effect of Astragalus polysaccharide and its effect on PTP1B
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical College of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 26:345-52. 2005
- Removal of a single N-linked glycan in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 gp120 results in an enhanced ability to induce neutralizing antibody responses
Washington National Primate Center, University of Washington, 3000 Western Ave, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
J Virol 82:638-51. 2008
..These results indicate the potential advantages for glycan modification in vaccine design, although the role of specific glycans requires further examination...
- The glycosylation and structure of human serum IgA1, Fab, and Fc regions and the role of N-glycosylation on Fcα receptor interactions
T S Mattu
Department of Biochemistry, Oxford University, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 273:2260-72. 1998
..This also suggests why in contrast to IgG Fc, the IgA1 N-glycans are not undergalactosylated in rheumatoid arthritis...
- Fucoidan induces apoptosis through activation of caspase-8 on human breast cancer MCF-7 cells
Laboratory of Food Chemistry, Division of Applied Biological Chemistry, Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, 6 10 1 Hakozaki, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 57:8677-82. 2009
..However, caspase-9-specific inhibitor exerted a moderate inhibitory effect on the cytotoxicity of fucoidan. These data indicated that fucoidan could induce apoptotic cell death through a caspase-8-dependent pathway in MCF-7 cells...
- The glycan shield of HIV is predominantly oligomannose independently of production system or viral clade
Department of Biochemistry, Oxford Glycobiology Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e23521. 2011
..This study highlights differences in glycosylation between virion-associated and recombinant gp120...
- Class I alpha-mannosidases are required for N-glycan processing and root development in Arabidopsis thaliana
Department of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, A 1190 Viena, Austria
Plant Cell 21:3850-67. 2009
..These findings show that class I alpha-mannosidases are essential for early N-glycan processing and play a role in root development and cell wall biosynthesis in Arabidopsis...
- Glycans and neural cell interactions
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Nat Rev Neurosci 5:195-208. 2004
..The tremendous structural diversity of glycan chains allows for immense combinatorial possibilities that might underlie the fine-tuning of cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions...
- Inhibitory effects of fucoidan on activation of epidermal growth factor receptor and cell transformation in JB6 Cl41 cells
Na Yeon Lee
College of Pharmacy, Chosun University, Gwangju, South Korea
Food Chem Toxicol 46:1793-800. 2008
..Taken together, these results indicate that fucoidan might exert chemopreventive effects through the inhibition of phosphorylation of the EGFR...
- Complex N-glycan number and degree of branching cooperate to regulate cell proliferation and differentiation
Ken S Lau
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Cell 129:123-34. 2007
..We have identified a mechanism for metabolic regulation of cellular transition between growth and arrest in mammals arising from apparent coevolution of N-glycan number and branching...
- Glycomics profiling of Chinese hamster ovary cell glycosylation mutants reveals N-glycans of a novel size and complexity
Simon J North
Division of Molecular Biosciences, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 285:5759-75. 2010
..This analysis reveals the larger-than-expected complexity of N-glycans in CHO cell mutants that may be used in a broad variety of functional glycomics studies and for making recombinant glycoproteins...
- Biological activities of sulfated polysaccharides from tropical seaweeds
L S Costa
UFRN, Laboratório de Biotecnologia de Polímeros Naturais Biopol, Centro de Biociencias, Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte, Av Sen Salgado Filho, 3000, 59072970 Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil
Biomed Pharmacother 64:21-8. 2010
Sulfated polysaccharides from 11 species of tropical marine algae (one edible specie of Rhodophyta, six species of Phaeophyta and four species of Chlorophyta) collected from Natal city coast (Northeast of Brazil) were evaluated for their ..
- Protective effect of ginseng polysaccharides on influenza viral infection
Dae Goon Yoo
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e33678. 2012
..Daily treatment of vaccinated mice with GP improved their survival against heterosubtypic lethal challenge. This study demonstrates the first evidence that GP can be used as a remedy against influenza viral infection...
- Copper-free click chemistry for dynamic in vivo imaging
Jeremy M Baskin
Department of Chemistry, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16793-7. 2007
..With this technique, we studied the dynamics of glycan trafficking and identified a population of sialoglycoconjugates with unexpectedly rapid internalization kinetics...
- Polysaccharides from wolfberry prevents corticosterone-induced inhibition of sexual behavior and increases neurogenesis
Benson Wui Man Lau
Department of Anatomy, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e33374. 2012
..The aim of this study is to determine the effect of Lycium barbarum polysaccharides (LBP) on male sexual behavior of rats...
- Dietary roles of non-starch polysaccharides in human nutrition: a review
Institute for Animal Production in the Tropics and Subtropics, University of Hohenheim 70599, Stuttgart, Germany
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 52:899-935. 2012
Nonstarch polysaccharides (NSPs) occur naturally in many foods. The physiochemical and biological properties of these compounds correspond to dietary fiber...
- Anticancer properties and mechanisms of fucoidan on mouse breast cancer in vitro and in vivo
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical College, Qingdao University, Qingdao, China
PLoS ONE 7:e43483. 2012
..In this study, we examined the influence of crude fucoidan on mouse breast cancer in vitro and in vivo...
- Structure, assembly and regulation of expression of capsules in Escherichia coli
Department of Microbiology, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Mol Microbiol 31:1307-19. 1999
..Capsular polysaccharides represent a major surface antigen, the K antigen, and more than 80 distinct K serotypes result from ..
- The cell wall polysaccharide metabolism of the brown alga Ectocarpus siliculosus. Insights into the evolution of extracellular matrix polysaccharides in Eukaryotes
UPMC University Paris 6, UMR 7139 Marine Plants and Biomolecules, Station Biologique de Roscoff, F 29682 Roscoff, Bretagne, France
New Phytol 188:82-97. 2010
..some components with plants (cellulose) and animals (sulfated fucans), but they also contain some unique polysaccharides (alginates)...
- Polysaccharides cellulose, poly-beta-1,6-n-acetyl-D-glucosamine, and colanic acid are required for optimal binding of Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains to alfalfa sprouts and K-12 strains to plastic but not for binding to epithelial cells
Ann G Matthysse
Department of Biology, Coker Hall, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3280, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:2384-90. 2008
..coli O157:H7 to sprouts, the polysaccharides required for binding are not redundant and each polysaccharide may play a distinct role...
- Identification of two polysaccharides from Prunella vulgaris L. and evaluation on their anti-lung adenocarcinoma activity
Key Laboratory of Delivery Systems of Chinese Meteria Medica, Jiangsu Provincial Academy of Chinese Medicine, Jiangsu, Nanjing, China
Molecules 15:5093-103. 2010
..for tumor therapy in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries, however, systematic research on extracted PV polysaccharides believed to possess various biological activities, as well as their preventive and anti-tumor effects on lung ..
- In vivo imaging of membrane-associated glycans in developing zebrafish
Scott T Laughlin
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Science 320:664-7. 2008
..Using a multicolor detection strategy, we performed a spatiotemporal analysis of glycan expression and trafficking and identified patterns that would be undetectable with conventional molecular imaging approaches...
- Sub-compartmental organization of Golgi-resident N-glycan processing enzymes in plants
School of Life Sciences, Oxford Brookes University, Headington Campus, Gipsy Lane, Oxford OX30BP, UK
Mol Plant 4:220-8. 2011
..Yet, the signals, mechanism(s), and molecular factors involved are still unknown. Here, we address recent findings and summarize the current understanding of this fundamental process in plant cell biology...
- Antitumor and anti-inflammatory activities of polysaccharides isolated from Ganoderma lucidum
Phytochemistry and Phytopharmacology Division, Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode Thiruvananthapuram 695562, India
Acta Pharm 61:335-42. 2011
In this study, polysaccharides were isolated from Ganoderma lucidum (Polyporaceae) and their antitumor and anti-inflammatory activities were investigated using in vivo models. Potential antitumor activity was shown by G...
- Therapeutic effects of astragalus polysaccharides on inflammation and synovial apoptosis in rats with adjuvant-induced arthritis
Jun Bing Jiang
College of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Shanxi Agricultural University, Taigu
Int J Rheum Dis 13:396-405. 2010
..This study aims to evaluate therapeutic effects and the mechanisms of astragalus polysaccharides (APS) on adjuvant-induced arthritis (AA) in rats.
- Antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of heterofucans from the seaweed Sargassum filipendula
Leandro Silva Costa
Laboratório de Biotecnologia de Polímeros Naturais Biopol, Departamento de Bioquimica, Centro de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte UFRN, Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil
Mar Drugs 9:952-66. 2011
..69 and 13.83 μM, respectively. These results clearly indicate the beneficial effect of S. filipendula polysaccharides as antiproliferative and antioxidant...
- Carbohydrate-binding modules promote the enzymatic deconstruction of intact plant cell walls by targeting and proximity effects
Faculty of Biological Sciences, Centre for Plant Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:15293-8. 2010
..These studies demonstrate that CBMs can potentiate the action of a cognate catalytic module toward polysaccharides in intact cell walls through the recognition of nonsubstrate polysaccharides...
- Aspergillus fumigatus: cell wall polysaccharides, their biosynthesis and organization
Unite des Aspergillus, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Docteur Roux, 75724, Paris, Cedex 15, France
Future Microbiol 4:583-95. 2009
..The cell wall, in the majority of fungi, is composed of polysaccharides, and understanding the biochemical organization and biogenesis of an A...
- Potential antioxidant and anticoagulant capacity of low molecular weight fucoidan fractions extracted from Laminaria japonica
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao 266071, PR China
Int J Biol Macromol 46:6-12. 2010
..Available data presented the content of sulfate group, the molar ratio of sulfate/fucose and sulfate/total sugar, and the molecular weight played an important role on antioxidant and anticoagulant activity...
- Evidence for branching in cryptococcal capsular polysaccharides and consequences on its biological activity
Radames J B Cordero
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY, USA
Mol Microbiol 79:1101-17. 2011
- Short-chain fatty acids and human colonic function: roles of resistant starch and nonstarch polysaccharides
D L Topping
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide, Australia
Physiol Rev 81:1031-64. 2001
..Human colonic bacteria ferment RS and nonstarch polysaccharides (NSP; major components of dietary fiber) to short-chain fatty acids (SCFA), mainly acetate, propionate, and ..
- An extended set of monoclonal antibodies to pectic homogalacturonan
Centre for Plant Sciences, University of Leeds, United Kingdom
Carbohydr Res 344:1858-62. 2009
..The epitopes bound by these antibodies display some similarities and some differences to the epitopes recognized by the previously isolated and established pectic homogalacturonan probes JIM5 and JIM7...
- Polysaccharide utilization by gut bacteria: potential for new insights from genomic analysis
Harry J Flint
Microbial Ecology Group, Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, UK
Nat Rev Microbiol 6:121-31. 2008
The microbiota of the mammalian intestine depend largely on dietary polysaccharides as energy sources...
- Polysaccharide analysis using carbohydrate gel electrophoresis: a method to study plant cell wall polysaccharides and polysaccharide hydrolases
Department of Biochemistry, Cambridge University, Building O, Downing Site, Cambridge, CB2 1QW, United Kingdom
Anal Biochem 300:53-68. 2002
A method to characterize plant cell wall polysaccharides is presented...
- The sweet and sour of cancer: glycans as novel therapeutic targets
Mark M Fuster
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, 92093 0687, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 5:526-42. 2005
..Such novel agents might be used alone or in combination with operative and/or chemoradiation strategies for treating cancer...