Genomes and Genes
Summary: A member of the vitamin B family that stimulates the hematopoietic system. It is present in the liver and kidney and is found in mushrooms, spinach, yeast, green leaves, and grasses (POACEAE). Folic acid is used in the treatment and prevention of folate deficiencies and megaloblastic anemia.
Publications334 found, 100 shown here
- Transposable elements: targets for early nutritional effects on epigenetic gene regulationRobert A Waterland
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:5293-300. 2003..Our results show that dietary methyl supplementation of a/a dams with extra folic acid, vitamin B(12), choline, and betaine alter the phenotype of their A(vy)/a offspring via increased CpG ..
- Homocysteine lowering and cardiovascular events after acute myocardial infarctionKaare Harald Bønaa
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
N Engl J Med 354:1578-88. 2006..Homocysteine is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. We evaluated the efficacy of homocysteine-lowering treatment with B vitamins for secondary prevention in patients who had had an acute myocardial infarction...
- Dietary protein restriction of pregnant rats induces and folic acid supplementation prevents epigenetic modification of hepatic gene expression in the offspringKaren A Lillycrop
Development and Cell Biology, University of Southampton, UK
J Nutr 135:1382-6. 2005..Dams were fed a control protein (C; 180 g/kg protein plus 1 mg/kg folic acid), restricted protein (R; 90 g/kg casein plus 1 mg/kg folic acid), or restricted protein plus 5 mg/kg folic acid (..
- Homocysteine and cardiovascular diseaseH Refsum
Department of Pharmacology, University of Bergen, Norway
Annu Rev Med 49:31-62. 1998..Supplementation with B-vitamins, in particular with folic acid, is an efficient, safe, and inexpensive means to reduce an elevated tHcy level...
- Effects of lowering homocysteine levels with B vitamins on cardiovascular disease, cancer, and cause-specific mortality: Meta-analysis of 8 randomized trials involving 37 485 individualsRobert Clarke
University of Oxford, England
Arch Intern Med 170:1622-31. 2010..associated with higher risks of cardiovascular disease, but the effects on disease rates of supplementation with folic acid to lower plasma homocysteine levels are uncertain...
- A common mutation in the 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene affects genomic DNA methylation through an interaction with folate statusSimonetta Friso
Vitamin Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer U S Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:5606-11. 2002..03) that is known to be solely represented in those individuals. These results indicate that the MTHFR C677T polymorphism influences DNA methylation status through an interaction with folate status...
- A second genetic polymorphism in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) associated with decreased enzyme activityI Weisberg
Department of Human Genetics, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, H3Z 2Z3, Canada
Mol Genet Metab 64:169-72. 1998..A silent genetic variant, T1317C, was identified in the same exon. It was relatively infrequent (allele frequency 5%) in our study group, but was quite common in a small sample of African individuals (allele frequency 39%)...
- DNA methylation, insulin resistance, and blood pressure in offspring determined by maternal periconceptional B vitamin and methionine statusKevin D Sinclair
School of Biosciences and School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington, Leicestershire LE12 5RD, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19351-6. 2007....
- Effects of routine prophylactic supplementation with iron and folic acid on admission to hospital and mortality in preschool children in a high malaria transmission setting: community-based, randomised, placebo-controlled trialSunil Sazawal
Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 367:133-43. 2006..However, there is concern that universal supplementation of children with iron and folic acid in areas of high malaria transmission might be harmful.
- Maternal epigenetics and methyl supplements affect agouti gene expression in Avy/a miceG L Wolff
Division of Biochemical Toxicology, National Center for Toxicological Research Food and Drug Administration, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079 9502, USA
FASEB J 12:949-57. 1998..Therefore, this experimental system should be useful for identifying maternal factors that modulate epigenetic mechanisms, especially DNA methylation, in developing embryos...
- Reduction in neural-tube defects after folic acid fortification in CanadaPhilippe De Wals
Laval University, Quebec, Canada
N Engl J Med 357:135-42. 2007In 1998, folic acid fortification of a large variety of cereal products became mandatory in Canada, a country where the prevalence of neural-tube defects was historically higher in the eastern provinces than in the western provinces...
- Mortality and cardiovascular events in patients treated with homocysteine-lowering B vitamins after coronary angiography: a randomized controlled trialMarta Ebbing
Department of Heart Disease, Haukeland University Hospital, Jonas Liesvei 65, 5021 Bergen, Norway
JAMA 300:795-804. 2008Observational studies have reported associations between circulating total homocysteine concentration and risk of cardiovascular disease. Oral administration of folic acid and vitamin B(12) can lower plasma total homocysteine levels.
- Compartmentalization of Mammalian folate-mediated one-carbon metabolismAnne S Tibbetts
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, and the Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 30:57-81. 2010..Identifying the mitochondrial transporters for the one-carbon donors and elucidating how flux through these pathways is controlled are two areas ripe for exploration...
- Periconceptional maternal folic acid use of 400 microg per day is related to increased methylation of the IGF2 gene in the very young childRegine P Steegers-Theunissen
Obstetrics and Gynecology Division of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e7845. 2009Countries worldwide recommend women planning pregnancy to use daily 400 microg of synthetic folic acid in the periconceptional period to prevent birth defects in children...
- Effects of folic acid supplementation on overall and site-specific cancer incidence during the randomised trials: meta-analyses of data on 50,000 individualsStein Emil Vollset
Norwegian Institute of Public Health and Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Lancet 381:1029-36. 2013Some countries fortify flour with folic acid to prevent neural tube defects but others do not, partly because of concerns about possible cancer risks...
- Folate intake and the risk of colorectal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysisDeborah A Kennedy
The Motherisk Program, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8 Canada
Cancer Epidemiol 35:2-10. 2011b>Folic acid fortification and supplementation to prevent neural tube defects has led to concerns regarding increased risk of colorectal cancer. The results of existing studies have been inconclusive...
- Blood levels of homocysteine, cysteine, glutathione, folic acid, and vitamin B12 in the acute phase of atherothrombotic strokeGiuseppe Salemi
Section of Neurology, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of Palermo, Via Gaetano La Loggia 1, 90129, Palermo, Italy
Neurol Sci 30:361-4. 2009Blood levels of total homocysteine (tHcy), cysteine (Cys), total and reduced glutathione (tGSH and rGSH), folic acid (FA), and vitamin B12 (B12) change during ischemic stroke as accompaniment of the tissue damage...
- Vitamin B12 and folate concentrations during pregnancy and insulin resistance in the offspring: the Pune Maternal Nutrition StudyC S Yajnik
Diabetes Unit, KEM Hospital and Research Centre, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Diabetologia 51:29-38. 2008..We studied the association between maternal vitamin B12, folate and tHcy status during pregnancy, and offspring adiposity and insulin resistance at 6 years...
- Effect of maternal and postweaning folic acid supplementation on mammary tumor risk in the offspringAnna Ly
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Res 71:988-97. 2011Intrauterine and early life exposure to folic acid has significantly increased in North America owing to folic acid fortification, widespread supplemental use, and periconceptional supplementation...
- Genetics and development of neural tube defectsAndrew J Copp
Neural Development Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 1EH, UK
J Pathol 220:217-30. 2010..b>Folic acid supplementation is an effective method for primary prevention of a proportion of NTDs in both humans and mice, ..
- Genome-wide significant predictors of metabolites in the one-carbon metabolism pathwayAditi Hazra
Program in Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:4677-87. 2009..40 x 10(-15)). Genome-wide significant loci were not identified for plasma folate. These data reveal new biological candidates and confirm prior candidate genes for plasma homocysteine, plasma vitamin B12 and plasma PLP...
- Association between maternal use of folic acid supplements and risk of autism spectrum disorders in childrenPål Surén
Norwegian Institute of Public Health, PO Box 4404, Nydalen, N 0403 Oslo, Norway
JAMA 309:570-7. 2013Prenatal folic acid supplements reduce the risk of neural tube defects in children, but it has not been determined whether they protect against other neurodevelopmental disorders.
- The effect of high doses of folic acid and iron supplementation in early-to-mid pregnancy on prematurity and fetal growth retardation: the mother-child cohort study in Crete, Greece (Rhea study)Eleni Papadopoulou
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Nutr 52:327-36. 2013We examined whether high doses of folic acid and iron supplementation in early-to-mid pregnancy affect the risk of preterm birth, low birth weight, and small for gestational age neonates, in the mother-child cohort in Crete, Greece (Rhea ..
- Homocysteine, vitamin B12, folate and cognitive functions: a systematic and critical review of the literatureT Vogel
Pôle de gériatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Hôpital de la Robertsau, Pavillon Schutzenberger, Strasbourg Cedex, France
Int J Clin Pract 63:1061-7. 2009..In this report, we review the current knowledge on the relationship between homocysteine, folate and vitamin B(12) levels and the way their disruption influences cognitive function in adults...
- Maternal methyl supplements increase offspring DNA methylation at Axin FusedRobert A Waterland
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, USDA Children s Nutrition Research Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genesis 44:401-6. 2006..Our results indicate that stochastic establishment of epigenotype at metastable epialleles is, in general, labile to methyl donor nutrition, and such influences are not limited to early embryonic development...
- Circulating unmetabolized folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate in relation to anemia, macrocytosis, and cognitive test performance in American seniorsMartha Savaria Morris
Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:1733-44. 2010Folate deficiency has serious consequences for the fetus. Folic acid fortification of food addresses this problem...
- Folate, cancer risk, and the Greek god, Proteus: a tale of two chameleonsJoel B Mason
USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Nutr Rev 67:206-12. 2009..The pharmaceutical form of the vitamin, folic acid, might affect the process in a manner that is distinct from natural forms of the vitamin, although this remains ..
- Folate and colorectal cancer: an evidence-based critical reviewYoung In Kim
Department of Medicine and Nutritional Sciences, Medical Sciences Building, University of Toronto, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mol Nutr Food Res 51:267-92. 2007..in normal colorectal mucosa appears to predispose it to neoplastic transformation, and modest levels of folic acid supplementation suppress, whereas supraphysiologic supplemental doses enhance, the development of cancer in ..
- Effects of alcohol on folate metabolism: implications for carcinogenesisJoel B Mason
Vitamins and Carcinogenesis Laboratory, U S D A Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Alcohol 35:235-41. 2005....
- Effects of prenatal food and micronutrient supplementation on infant development: a randomized trial from the Maternal and Infant Nutrition Interventions, Matlab (MINIMat) studyFahmida Tofail
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Clin Nutr 87:704-11. 2008..Few data exist for the effects of multiple micronutrient (MM) or food supplementation to undernourished pregnant women on their offsprings' development...
- Methylation variation at IGF2 differentially methylated regions and maternal folic acid use before and during pregnancyCathrine Hoyo
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Epigenetics 6:928-36. 2011b>Folic acid (FA) supplementation before and during pregnancy has been associated with decreased risk of neural tube defects although recent reports suggest it may also increase the risk of other chronic diseases...
- Is folic acid good for everyone?A David Smith
Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing, Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 87:517-33. 2008Fortification of food with folic acid to reduce the number of neural tube defects was introduced 10 y ago in North America. Many countries are considering whether to adopt this policy...
- 118 SNPs of folate-related genes and risks of spina bifida and conotruncal heart defectsGary M Shaw
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatal and Developmental Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
BMC Med Genet 10:49. 2009b>Folic acid taken in early pregnancy reduces risks for delivering offspring with several congenital anomalies. The mechanism by which folic acid reduces risk is unknown...
- Antenatal supplementation with folic acid + iron + zinc improves linear growth and reduces peripheral adiposity in school-age children in rural NepalChristine P Stewart
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 90:132-40. 2009..We previously reported that a randomized controlled trial of antenatal micronutrient supplements in rural Nepal decreased the risk of low birth weight by approximately 15%...
- One-carbon metabolism-genome interactions in folate-associated pathologiesPatrick J Stover
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Nutr 139:2402-5. 2009....
- Genetics of human neural tube defectsNicholas D E Greene
Neural Development Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Hum Mol Genet 18:R113-29. 2009....
- Diet, methyl donors and DNA methylation: interactions between dietary folate, methionine and cholineMihai D Niculescu
Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7400, USA
J Nutr 132:2333S-2335S. 2002....
- Physiology of folic acid in health and diseaseO Stanger
Karl Franzens University School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Graz, Austria
Curr Drug Metab 3:211-23. 2002..The available data strongly suggest that criteria for "folate deficiency" may have to be redefined...
- Role of uncoupled endothelial nitric oxide synthase in abdominal aortic aneurysm formation: treatment with folic acidLing Gao
Division of Molecular Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, Department of Anesthesiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, 650 Charles E Young Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Hypertension 59:158-66. 2012..Intriguingly, restoration of dihydrofolate reductase expression by oral administration of folic acid or overexpression of dihydrofolate reductase completely prevented AAA formation in Ang II-infused hph-1 mice ..
- Trafficking of intracellular folatesPatrick J Stover
Cornell University, Division of Nutritional Sciences, Ithaca, NY 14850, USA
Adv Nutr 2:325-31. 2011....
- Maternal periconceptional folic acid intake and risk of autism spectrum disorders and developmental delay in the CHARGE (CHildhood Autism Risks from Genetics and Environment) case-control studyRebecca J Schmidt
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA 95616 8638, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 96:80-9. 2012..Periconceptional folate is essential for proper neurodevelopment...
- Weekly iron-folic acid supplementation with regular deworming is cost-effective in preventing anaemia in women of reproductive age in VietnamGerard J Casey
Department of Medicine RMH WH, The University of Melbourne, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Australia
PLoS ONE 6:e23723. 2011To estimate the cost and cost-effectiveness of a project administering de-worming and weekly iron-folic acid supplementation to control anaemia in women of reproductive age in Yen Bai province, Vietnam.
- Factors associated with prenatal folic acid and iron supplementation among 21,889 pregnant women in Northern Tanzania: a cross-sectional hospital-based studyOlukemi Ogundipe
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
BMC Public Health 12:481. 2012..The World Health Organization recommends supplementation of folic acid (FA) and iron for all pregnant women at risk of malnutrition to prevent anaemia...
- Folic acid supplements in pregnancy and severe language delay in childrenChristine Roth
Division of Mental Health, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, PO Box 4404, Nydalen, 0403 Oslo, Norway
JAMA 306:1566-73. 2011Prenatal folic acid supplements reduce the risk of neural tube defects and may have beneficial effects on other aspects of neurodevelopment.
- Cancer incidence and mortality after treatment with folic acid and vitamin B12Marta Ebbing
Department of Heart Disease, Haukeland University Hospital, Jonas Liesvei 65, Bergen, Norway 5021
JAMA 302:2119-26. 2009Recently, concern has been raised about the safety of folic acid, particularly in relation to cancer risk.
- Folate and human reproductionTsunenobu Tamura
Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 83:993-1016. 2006..Studies conducted in the 1950s and 1960s led to the recognition of prenatal folic acid supplementation as a means to prevent pregnancy-induced megaloblastic anemia...
- The genetic basis of mammalian neurulationAndrew J Copp
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Nat Rev Genet 4:784-93. 2003..Mutant mice also offer an opportunity to unravel the mechanisms by which folic acid prevents neural tube defects, and to develop new therapies for folate-resistant defects.
- Race-ethnicity differences in folic acid intake in women of childbearing age in the United States after folic acid fortification: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001-2002Quan He Yang
Division of Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1409-16. 2007Neural tube defects are serious birth defects of the brain and spinal cord. Up to 70% of neural tube defects can be prevented by the consumption of folic acid by women before and early during pregnancy.
- Development of a new standard reference material: SRM 1955 (homocysteine and folate in human serum)Mary B Satterfield
Analytical Chemistry Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD 20899, USA
Anal Bioanal Chem 385:612-22. 2006..methods for determination of tHCY and several folate forms including 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid (5MT) and folic acid (FA). Additionally, a method for simultaneous measurement of tHCY, 5MT, and FA has been developed and validated...
- Folic acid supplements in pregnancy and early childhood respiratory healthS E Håberg
Division of Epidemiology, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, PO Box 4404, Nydalen, NO 0403 Oslo, Norway
Arch Dis Child 94:180-4. 2009..Folate supplementation is recommended for pregnant women to reduce the risk of congenital malformations. Maternal intake of folate supplements during pregnancy might also influence childhood immune phenotypes via epigenetic mechanisms...
- Folic acid food fortification-its history, effect, concerns, and future directionsKrista S Crider
The Division of Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA
Nutrients 3:370-84. 2011Periconceptional intake of folic acid is known to reduce a woman's risk of having an infant affected by a neural tube birth defect (NTD)...
- Folate and homocysteine metabolism in neural plasticity and neurodegenerative disordersMark P Mattson
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, National Institutes of Health, 5600 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Trends Neurosci 26:137-46. 2003..A better understanding of the roles of folate and homocysteine in neuronal homeostasis throughout life is revealing novel approaches for preventing and treating neurological disorders...
- Ethanol exposure induces differential microRNA and target gene expression and teratogenic effects which can be suppressed by folic acid supplementationLin Lin Wang
Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, Peking University, Beijing 100191, PR China
Hum Reprod 24:562-79. 2009..microRNAs (miRNAs) play an important role in development and are associated with birth defects. Data are scant on the role of miRNAs in birth defects arising from exposure to environmental factors such as alcohol...
- Association of folate-pathway gene polymorphisms with the risk of prostate cancer: a population-based nested case-control study, systematic review, and meta-analysisSimon M Collin
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, 39 Whatley Road, Bristol, BS8 2PS United Kingdom
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:2528-39. 2009..Our meta-analysis suggests that known common folate-pathway single nucleotide polymorphisms do not have significant effects on susceptibility to prostate cancer...
- The influence of erythrocyte folate and serum vitamin B12 status on birth weightCaroline L Relton
Paediatric and Lifecourse Epidemiology Research Group, School of Clinical Medical Sciences Child Health, Newcastle University, Sir James Spence Institute, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4LP, UK
Br J Nutr 93:593-9. 2005..08, 0.42), P=0.005; n 145). These findings suggest that maternal folate status is an important determinant of infant birth weight. The combined effects of smoking and reduced RBC status on birth weight require further investigation...
- The role of folic acid and Vitamin B12 in genomic stability of human cellsM Fenech
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide, Australia
Mutat Res 475:57-67. 2001b>Folic acid plays a critical role in the prevention of chromosome breakage and hypomethylation of DNA...
- Folate-targeted imaging of activated macrophages in rats with adjuvant-induced arthritisMary Jo Turk
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:1947-55. 2002..To determine whether overexpression of the high-affinity folate receptor (FR) on activated macrophages can be exploited to selectively target imaging agents to sites of inflammation in rats with adjuvant-induced arthritis (AIA)...
- Effects of dietary folate and alcohol intake on promoter methylation in sporadic colorectal cancer: the Netherlands cohort study on diet and cancerManon van Engeland
The Research Institute GROW, Department of Pathology, University Maastricht, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 63:3133-7. 2003..085). Despite the size limitations of this study, these data suggest that folate and alcohol intake may be associated with changes in promoter hypermethylation in CRC...
- Efficacy of folic acid supplementation in stroke prevention: a meta-analysisXiaobin Wang
Mary Ann and J Milburn Smith Child Health Research Program, Children s Memorial Hospital and Children s Memorial Research Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614 3394, USA
Lancet 369:1876-82. 2007..Our aim was to do a meta-analysis of relevant randomised trials to assess the efficacy of folic acid supplementation in the prevention of stroke.
- Maternal protein restriction with or without folic acid supplementation during pregnancy alters the hepatic transcriptome in adult male ratsKaren A Lillycrop
Development and Cell Biology, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton, UK
Br J Nutr 103:1711-9. 2010..genes in the liver of the adult offspring, which can be prevented by supplementation of the PR diet with folic acid (PRF)...
- Neural tube defects and folate: case far from closedHenk J Blom
Laboratory of Pediatrics and Neurology, Nijmegen Centre for Molecular Life Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Post Office Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Neurosci 7:724-31. 2006..A major clinical achievement has been the use of periconceptional folic acid supplements, which prevents approximately 50-75% of cases of neural tube defects...
- Iron and folic acid supplements and reduced early neonatal deaths in IndonesiaChristiana R Titaley
Sydney School of Public Health, Edward Ford Building A27, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 88:500-8. 2010To examine the relationship between antenatal care, iron and folic acid supplementation and tetanus toxoid vaccination during pregnancy in Indonesia and the risk of early neonatal death (death in days 0-6 of life).
- Discovery and development of folic-acid-based receptor targeting for imaging and therapy of cancer and inflammatory diseasesPhilip S Low
Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Acc Chem Res 41:120-9. 2008..Drugs that have been linked to folic acid for tumor-selective drug delivery to date include (i) protein toxins, (ii) chemotherapeutic agents, (iii) gene ..
- Homocysteine and coronary atherosclerosis: from folate fortification to the recent clinical trialsCharalambos Antoniades
1st Cardiology Department, Athens University Medical School, Ilias, Gerakas Attikis, Athens, Greece
Eur Heart J 30:6-15. 2009..Finally, we provide clinical recommendations regarding the therapeutic strategies targeting homocysteine in the general population...
- Folate and neural tube defectsRoy M Pitkin
UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:285S-288S. 2007..which have led to the current situation in which all women capable of becoming pregnant are urged to ingest folic acid regularly...
- Homocysteine and depression in later lifeOsvaldo P Almeida
FRANZCP, Western Australian Centre for Health and Ageing, University of Western Australia, Mail Box M573, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:1286-94. 2008..Genetic association studies are not prone to the same sources of error and offer an opportunity to explore the consistency and external validity of this association...
- Surface modification of superparamagnetic magnetite nanoparticles and their intracellular uptakeYong Zhang
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 2120, USA
Biomaterials 23:1553-61. 2002Superparamagnetic magnetite nanoparticles were surface-modified with poly (ethylene glycol) (PEG) and folic acid, respectively, to improve their intracellular uptake and ability to target specific cells...
- Distribution, functionality and gene regulation of folate receptor isoforms: implications in targeted therapyHala Elnakat
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical College of Ohio, 3035 Arlington Avenue, Toledo, OH 43614 5804, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 56:1067-84. 2004
- Infant birth size is not associated with maternal intake and status of folate during the second trimester in Norwegian pregnant womenRoy M Nilsen
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, Bergen 5020, Norway
J Nutr 140:572-9. 2010..Blood plasma folate and cotinine concentrations and self-reported intake of food folate and supplemental folic acid were measured during the second trimester (median 18 wk)...
- Folate and fetal programming: a play in epigenomics?Jean Louis Gueant
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM Unité 954, Department of Nutrition Genetics Environmental Risk Exposure, University of Lorraine and University Hospital of Nancy, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Trends Endocrinol Metab 24:279-89. 2013..Deciphering these mechanisms will help understanding the discordances between experimental models and population studies of folate deficiency and supplementation...
- Does a high folate intake increase the risk of breast cancer?Young In Kim
Department of Medicine and Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Division of Gastroenterology, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Nutr Rev 64:468-75. 2006..study, the risk of developing breast cancer was significantly increased by 20% in women reporting supplemental folic acid intake > or = 400 microg/d compared with those reporting no supplemental intake...
- Breast cancers: MR imaging of folate-receptor expression with the folate-specific nanoparticle P1133Reinhard Meier
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 0628, USA
Radiology 255:527-35. 2010..To assess the capability of the folate receptor (FR)-targeted ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO) P1133 to provide FR-specific enhancement of breast cancers on magnetic resonance (MR) images...
- Folic acid-conjugated silica-modified gold nanorods for X-ray/CT imaging-guided dual-mode radiation and photo-thermal therapyPeng Huang
National Key Laboratory of Nano Micro Fabrication Technology, Key Laboratory for Thin Film and Microfabrication of Ministry of Education, Institute of Micro Nano Science and Technology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, PR China
Biomaterials 32:9796-809. 2011..b>Folic acid molecule was covalently anchored on the surface of GNRs with silane coupling agent...
- Folic acid supplementation during early pregnancy and the risk of gestational hypertension and preeclampsiaZhiwen Li
Institute of Reproductive and Child Health Ministry of Health Key Laboratory of Reproductive Health, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China
Hypertension 61:873-9. 2013Emerging evidence has suggested that folic acid-containing multivitamins may markedly reduce the risk of gestational hypertension or preeclampsia...
- No effect of folic acid supplementation on global DNA methylation in men and women with moderately elevated homocysteineAudrey Y Jung
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and HTA, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e24976. 2011..We examined whether long-term daily supplementation with 0.8 mg of folic acid would increase global DNA methylation compared with placebo in individuals with elevated plasma homocysteine...
- Folic acid supplementation can adversely affect murine neural tube closure and embryonic survivalAmber Marean
HHMI and Department of Pediatrics, Programs in Molecular Biology, University of Colorado AnschutzMedical Campus and Children s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Hum Mol Genet 20:3678-83. 2011..The most effective environmental influence in decreasing the risk for NTDs is folic acid (FA) fortification and supplementation, and these findings led to the recommendation of periconceptual FA intake ..
- Effect modification by population dietary folate on the association between MTHFR genotype, homocysteine, and stroke risk: a meta-analysis of genetic studies and randomised trialsMichael V Holmes
Research Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Lancet 378:584-94. 2011..We aimed to reduce the effect of small-study bias and investigate whether folate status modifies the association between MTHFR 677C→T and stroke in a genetic analysis and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials...
- Micronuclei, nucleoplasmic bridges and nuclear buds induced in folic acid deficient human lymphocytes-evidence for breakage-fusion-bridge cycles in the cytokinesis-block micronucleus assayMichael Fenech
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Genomic Stability Project, P O Box 10041, Adelaide BC, Australia
Mutat Res 504:131-6. 2002..Lymphocytes from 20 subjects were cultured in medium containing 12-120 nM folic acid for 9 days...
- Effect of folic acid supplementation on cardiovascular outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysisYu Hao Zhou
Department of Health Statistics, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 6:e25142. 2011b>Folic acid is widely used to lower homocysteine concentrations and prevent adverse cardiovascular outcomes. However, the effect of folic acid on cardiovascular events is not clear at the present time...
- Intake of micronutrient-rich foods in rural Indian mothers is associated with the size of their babies at birth: Pune Maternal Nutrition StudyS Rao
Biometry and Nutrition Unit, Agharkar Research Institute, Pune, India
J Nutr 131:1217-24. 2001....
- Higher maternal plasma folate but not vitamin B-12 concentrations during pregnancy are associated with better cognitive function scores in 9- to 10- year-old children in South IndiaSargoor R Veena
Epidemiology Research Unit, Holdsworth Memorial Hospital, Mysore 570 021, South India
J Nutr 140:1014-22. 2010..It also suggests that, in terms of neurodevelopment, the concentration used to define folate deficiency may be set too low...
- Aged garlic extract supplemented with B vitamins, folic acid and L-arginine retards the progression of subclinical atherosclerosis: a randomized clinical trialMatthew J Budoff
Division of Cardiology, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA, Torrance, CA, USA
Prev Med 49:101-7. 2009..This study was designed to assess whether aged garlic extract therapy with supplements (AGE+S) favorably affects inflammatory and oxidation biomarkers, vascular function and progression of atherosclerosis as compared to placebo...
- Folate intake, post-folic acid grain fortification, and pancreatic cancer risk in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening TrialBrietta M Oaks
Nutritional Epidemiology Branch, the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:449-55. 2010..Folate plays a critical role in DNA methylation, synthesis, and repair. Several epidemiologic studies suggest that higher folate intake is associated with decreased pancreatic cancer risk...
- Folic acid supplementation before and during pregnancy in the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST)Cathrine Hoyo
Department of Community and Family Medicine and Program of Cancer Detection, Prevention and Control, Duke University, PO Box 104006, Durham, NC 27710, USA
BMC Public Health 11:46. 2011b>Folic acid (FA) added to foods during fortification is 70-85% bioavailable compared to 50% of folate occurring naturally in foods...
- Vitamin B12, folic acid, and the nervous systemEdward Reynolds
Institute of Epileptology, King s College, Denmark Hill Campus, Cutcombe Road, London, SE5 6PJ, UK
Lancet Neurol 5:949-60. 2006..b>Folic acid and vitamin B12 may have roles in the prevention of disorders of CNS development, mood disorders, and dementias, ..
- Effect of folic acid, with or without other B vitamins, on cognitive decline: meta-analysis of randomized trialsDavid S Wald
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
Am J Med 123:522-527.e2. 2010We aimed to quantify the effect of folic acid supplementation on the prevention of cognitive decline.
- Association of blood lead (Pb) and plasma homocysteine: a cross sectional survey in Karachi, PakistanMohsin Yakub
Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
PLoS ONE 5:e11706. 2010..The objective of the present study was to assess the relationship of blood Pb to the risk of hyperhomocysteinemia in a low income urban population of Karachi, Pakistan...
- Mechanisms of membrane transport of folates into cells and across epitheliaRongbao Zhao
Departments of Medicine and Molecular Pharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 31:177-201. 2011..The role of these transporters in the vectorial transport of folates across epithelia is considered...
- The use of blood concentrations of vitamins and their respective functional indicators to define folate and vitamin B12 statusJacob Selhub
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Food Nutr Bull 29:S67-73. 2008In recent years there has been growing interest in the vitamins folic acid and vitamin B12 because of the realization that the status of these vitamins in populations is less than adequate, and that such inadequacy may be linked to ..
- Impact of multiple micronutrient versus iron-folic acid supplements on maternal anemia and micronutrient status in pregnancyLindsay H Allen
U S Department of Agriculture, ARS Western Human Nutrition Research Center, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Food Nutr Bull 30:S527-32. 2009Multiple micronutrient supplements could increase hemoglobin and improve micronutrient status of pregnant women more than iron supplements alone or iron with folic acid.
- Folate-targeted therapeutic and imaging agents for cancerPhilip Stewart Low
Department of Chemistry, 560 Oval Drive, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 13:256-62. 2009..antibody-targeted drugs have been the first to enter the clinic, recent studies demonstrate that the vitamin folic acid can also be used to deliver attached imaging and therapeutic agents selectively to malignant cells in both ..
- Effect of maternal multiple micronutrient supplementation on fetal loss and infant death in Indonesia: a double-blind cluster-randomised trialA H Shankar
Helen Keller International, Jakarta, Indonesia Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Lancet 371:215-27. 2008Maternal nutrient supplementation in developing countries is generally restricted to provision of iron and folic acid (IFA)...
- Preparation, characterization, and in vitro targeted delivery of folate-decorated paclitaxel-loaded bovine serum albumin nanoparticlesDongmei Zhao
Key Laboratory of Forest Plant Ecology, Northeast Forestry University, Ministry of Education, Harbin, Heilongjiang, China
Int J Nanomedicine 5:669-77. 2010..a desolvation procedure, crosslinked on the wall material of bovine serum albumin, and subsequently decorated by folic acid. The characteristics of the nanoparticles, such as amount of folate conjugation, surface morphology, drug ..
- MTHFR 677C-->T polymorphism and risk of coronary heart disease: a meta-analysisMariska Klerk
Division of Human Nutrition and Epidemiology, Wageningen University, PO Box 8129, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
JAMA 288:2023-31. 2002..The MTHFR 677C-->T polymorphism is a genetic alteration in an enzyme involved in folate metabolism that causes elevated homocysteine concentrations, but its relevance to risk of CHD is uncertain...
- Effect of B-vitamin therapy on progression of diabetic nephropathy: a randomized controlled trialAndrew A House
Division of Nephrology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 303:1603-9. 2010Hyperhomocysteinemia is frequently observed in patients with diabetic nephropathy. B-vitamin therapy (folic acid, vitamin B(6), and vitamin B(12)) has been shown to lower the plasma concentration of homocysteine.
- Total folate and folic acid intake from foods and dietary supplements in the United States: 2003-2006Regan L Bailey
Office of Dietary Supplements and the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 7517, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:231-7. 2010The term total folate intake is used to represent folate that occurs naturally in food as well as folic acid from fortified foods and dietary supplements...
- Folic acid to reduce neonatal mortality from neural tube disordersHannah Blencowe
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 39:i110-21. 2010..High-income countries have reported large reductions in NTDs associated with folic acid supplementation or fortification...
- Unmetabolized serum folic acid and its relation to folic acid intake from diet and supplements in a nationally representative sample of adults aged > or =60 y in the United StatesRegan L Bailey
Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 92:383-9. 2010Unmetabolized serum folic acid (UMFA) has been detected in adults. Previous research indicates that high folic acid intakes may be associated with risk of cancer.
- Advances in standardization of laboratory measurement procedures: implications for measuring biomarkers of folate and vitamin B-12 status in NHANESJay L Bock
Department of Pathology, Stony Brook University Medical Center, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 94:332S-336S. 2011..This article reviews some basic principles of metrology and describes their recent application to measurements of folate and vitamin B-12...
- A functional folate receptor is induced during macrophage activation and can be used to target drugs to activated macrophagesWei Xia
Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Blood 113:438-46. 2009..This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT00588393...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..antibiotic eye drops to place in the eye three times a day for the 3 days following the injection, leucovorin (folic acid) drops to place in the eye four times a day for 1 week following the injection, and a dose of folic acid to be ..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..antibiotic eye drops to place in the eye three times a day for the 3 days following the injection, leucovorin (folic acid) drops to place in the eye four times a day for 1 week following the injection, and a dose of folic acid to be ..
- Cystathionine beta synthase (CBS) and angiogenesisPriyabrata Mukherjee; Fiscal Year: 2013..pathway of Hcy;(ii) nutritional deficiencies of the vitamin co-factors of these enzymes such as folic acid, pyridoxin (vitamin B6), cobalamine (vitamin B12);(iii) excessive intake of methionine rich diet...
- Folate Status, Genomic Uracil, and the Balance of Base Excision Repair ActivityMichael D Wyatt; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Dietary folic acid is an important nutrient for human health and has received much attention as a means of preventing cancer...
- Interrelationships among nutrients involved in one-carbon metabolism in BangladesMEGAN NINA HALL; Fiscal Year: 2011..Previous work by our group has shown that folic acid supplementation in folate-deficient As-exposed individuals facilitated As elimination and significantly lowered ..
- METABOLISM, MICRONUTRIENTS, AND ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPY OUTCOMES IN ZAMBIADOUGLAS CORBETT HEIMBURGER; Fiscal Year: 2010..chloride, bicarbonate, urea nitrogen, and creatinine), selected micronutrients (ferritin for iron status, folic acid, vitamins A, B12, and E, and selenium), and inflammatory markers (C-reactive protein and 1-1-acid glycoprotein) ..
- Homocysteine and Angiotensin II in Renovascular RemodelingUtpal Sen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Treatment of Ang II animals with folic acid (FA) decreases plasma Hcy and mitigates hypertension...
- Ibuprofen and enteric neural crest precursor migrationELLEN MERRICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..develop strategies to prevent them from occurring, as exemplified by the decrease of neural tube defects due to folic acid supplementation...
- An internet based prospective study of time to pregnancyElizabeth E Hatch; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, guided by recent research, we will collect exposure data on dietary factors, such as fatty acids, folic acid, dairy foods, and iron intake, using a validated food frequency questionnaire...
- Angiotensin II uncoupling of eNOS in hypertensionHUA LINDA CAI; Fiscal Year: 2013..responsible for Ang II further uncoupling of eNOS, and recoupling of eNOS by our newly established approaches of oral folic acid administration or DHFR overexpression 1,25, may then prove to have novel therapeutic potentials for AAA.
- Tumor -Targeting Chemotherapeutic AgentsIwao Ojima; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the next funding period, we plan to use vitamins (biotin and folic acid), hyaluronic acids and aptamers as the guiding modules to construct "guided molecular missiles" for tumor- ..
- Genetic Risk for Orofacial Clefts in the Folate/Homocysteine PathwayNICHOLAS MARINI; Fiscal Year: 2013..One of the most promising clues to the causes of orofacial clefts is that women who use vitamins containing folic acid in early pregnancy are at much lower risk for cleft-affected pregnancies...
- Pregnancy Folate Status &Early Childhood Respiratory &Atopic Disease OutcomesKECIA NICOLE CARROLL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The long-term goal of this project is to determine whether maternal folic acid supplementation during pregnancy increases the risk of early childhood asthma and atopy...
- Dietary Methyl Score, Genomic DNA Methylation and Colorectal CancerEunyoung Cho; Fiscal Year: 2012..elucidate the associations between major plasma components of one-carbon metabolism (total folate, unmetabolized folic acid, 5-methyl-tetrahydrofolate, vitamins B6 and B12, cysteine, homocysteine, and methylene-tetrahydrofolate ..
- Aging of brain: effects of perinatal nutritionJan Krzysztof Blusztajn; Fiscal Year: 2010..is to determine the mechanisms by which prenatal availability of choline, and of methyl groups derived from folic acid, modify brain structure and function during development, adulthood and old age...
- Folate and PSMA Interact to Regulate DNA Methylation and Prostate CarcinogenesisDENISE SUSAN O'KEEFE; Fiscal Year: 2013..hypermethylation in an overall context of global hypomethylation reminiscent of prostate cancer, by manipulating folic acid levels...
- Mammalian Mitochondrial One-Carbon MetabolismDEAN RAMSAY APPLING; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Folic acid metabolism is essential in all cells, and mitochondria play a critical role in these pathways...
- Antenatal Dietary Supplementation is a Risk Factor for Infant Atopy Through EpigeDAVID ALBERT SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Folic acid, vitamin B12, and choline are methyl donors that, taken during pregnancy, have the potential through ..
- Risk Factors for CraniosynostosisSuzan L Carmichael; Fiscal Year: 2010..glycemic control or oxidative stress are associated with risk of CS among offspring, including folate/folic acid, choline, betaine, methionine, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, riboflavin, glycemic load, [unreadable]-carotene, ..
- CAT B Existing Wyoming PRAMSJoseph Grandpre; Fiscal Year: 2013..areas of analyses for Wyoming PRAMS from 2011 to 2015 include nutrition in women of reproductive age, including folic acid use and weight gain during pregnancy;smoking during pregnancy;teen birth;breastfeeding initiation and duration;..
- A Prospective Study of Colorectal Cancer: One-Carbon Metabolism and InflammationCornelia M Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2012..Through this research, we will learn more about how to prevent colorectal cancer and about possible public health recommendations based on genetic characteristics. ..
- Fruit exosome-like particles for therapeutic delivery of extracellular miRNAsHuang Ge Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Co-delivery of folic acid, with the chemotherapy drug paclitaxel by EPNVs results in an increased efficiency in tumor tissue targeting...
- Phase II Trial of methotrexate in myasthenia gravis FDA IND#:101,306 01/06/2008Richard J Barohn; Fiscal Year: 2012..Methotrexate (MTX) is an analogue of folic acid and is an anti-metabolite and a potent inhibitor of dihydrofolate reductase, which inhibits purine and ..
- Michigan Pregnancy Risk Assessment and Monitoring System (MI PRAMS)Robert Wahl; Fiscal Year: 2013..safe sleep position among infants, risk factors for domestic violence among pregnant and postpartum women, folic acid awareness, etc...
- Air Pollution, Epigenetics and Cardiovascular Health: A Human Intervention TrialAndrea Baccarelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our goal is to determine whether a pharmacological intervention with methyl-donors (i.e., folic acid, Vitamins B6 &B12, betaine, methionine, and choline) can avert this DNA methylation loss and mitigate the ..
- Homocysteine: Vascular Biochemistry and MetabolismDONALD WELDON JACOBSEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The program to fortify the American diet with folic acid, completed in January, 1998, has had a profound effect on reducing the incidence of hyperhomocysteinemia, neural ..
- Biomarkers for Arsenic Toxicity: Genetics, Epigenetics and FolateMARY VELESCA GAMBLE; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., our clinical trial demonstrated that folic acid supplementation lowered blood As and blood MMA concentrations...
- Unmetabolized folic acid and retinoblastoma.Manuela A Orjuela; Fiscal Year: 2013..gene (DHFR19bpdel/del) predicts having a child with unilateral Rtb, and risk appears greater in mothers who took folic acid supplements in their 1st trimester of pregnancy...
- Regulation of DNA Methylation by a Major Folate EnzymeKYLE CRAIG STRICKLAND; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project will characterize a metabolic process related to folic acid that may provide insight into the prevention or treatment of diabetic disease.
- Elucidation of Antisickling Molecules in a Botanical with Antisickling ActivityRobert Swift; Fiscal Year: 2013..Best supportive therapies for SCD include folic acid for anemia, penicillin to prevent infections, pneumococcal and influenza vaccinations, pain medication, and ..
- Molecular basis of homocysteine-glutamate receptor mediated neuronal cell deathRanjana Poddar; Fiscal Year: 2012..In spite of fortification of food with folic acid as an attempt to lower homocysteine levels and reduce homocysteine related disorders, the incidence of hyper-..
- Transcriptional Coactivators and Pregnancy OutcomesRobert M Greene; Fiscal Year: 2012..While neural tube defects (NTDs) are amongst the most common human malformations, the mechanisms by which folic acid exerts its ameliorative effect on these malformations, or its role in normal development of the neural tube, is ..
- First Clinical Trial of an Anti-Sickling Botanical Drug for Sickle Cell DiseRobert Swift; Fiscal Year: 2013..Best supportive therapies for SCD include folic acid for anemia, penicillin to prevent infections, pneumococcal and influenza vaccinations, pain medication, and ..
- Exploring Interactions between Folate and Environmental Risk Factors for AutismREBECCA JEAN SCHMIDT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, their estimated total folic acid intake was lower...
- Stable isotope evaluation of the methionine cycle in undernourished pregnancyPeter W Nathanielsz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Information will translate to human pregnancy aiding diagnostic, preventative and therapeutic strategies. B12 has been ignored in comparison to folic acid.
- Epigenome Interactions in Complex Neurogenetic DisordersMARGARET ELIZABETH ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinical data, we discovered several NTD-prone mouse mutant lines in which NTD occurrence is sensitive to folic acid supplementation...
- Biodegradable Nanoparticles for Targeted Antibiotic DeliveryJudith A Whittum-Hudson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our initial studies indicate that Chlamydial infection elicits increased expression of host cell folic acid receptors (FAR), and that folic acid-conjugated nanoparticles may provide a novel and highly effective means of ..
- Arizona Surveillance and Research Center for Developmental DisabilitiesSydney A Rice; Fiscal Year: 2011..Despite the decline in SB births since the implementation of folic acid fortification of cereals and wheat grains in the US, there are still substantial numbers of SB births that occur ..
- Alpha Folate Receptor Mediated GARFTase Inhibitors as Selective Antitumor AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2010..mesothelioma, breast and brain and FR-beta on the surface of myeloid leukemia has prompted the development of folic acid and the pteroyl moiety as selective targeting agents to FR-alpha expressing tumors...
- Purine Synthesis Inhibitors with Selective Folate Receptor Tumor TransportLarry H Matherly; Fiscal Year: 2013..These are folic acid transport systems (almost) exclusively expressed by several tumor cells (e.g...
- Antipsychotic and Folate PharmacogeneticsVicki L Ellingrod; Fiscal Year: 2013..The specific aims for this proposal are: 1) Evaluate the therapeutic effectiveness of folic acid supplementation (5mg/day) versus placebo for 16 weeks in schizophrenia subjects and measure sustainability of ..
- Methyl Donor Pathway Genetics in the Development of Orofacial CleftsJASPER D RINE; Fiscal Year: 2010..One of the most promising clues to the causes of orofacial clefts is that women who use vitamins containing folic acid in early pregnancy are at much lower risk for cleft-affected pregnancies...
- DNA methylation differences between identical twinsThomas Mack; Fiscal Year: 2009..The list of such exposures includes smoking, alcohol usage, obesity, consumption of foods known to contain folic acid and food known to contain carcinogens, and occupational and residential exposure to various environmental ..
- Targeted Nanoparticle DNA Therapy for Ovarian CancerJanet A Sawicki; Fiscal Year: 2012..antibody fragments (scFvs) having reactivity to proteins found on the surface of ovarian tumor cells, or to folic acid. The second approach will be to complex DNA poly(2-amino ester)-nanoparticles with scFv- or folic acid-..
- Oral cleft prevention programJeffrey C Murray; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Folic acid supplementation prior to pregnancy and during the first trimester shows that 4 mg per day will decrease NTD ..
- FOLLOW-UP STUDY OF MOTHERS, CHILDREN &FAMILIES IN CHINA NTD INTERVENTION PROGRAMWang Yu; Fiscal Year: 2011..children, parents and grandparents) to evaluate the long-term health effects of periconceptional exposure to folic acid on women and children...
- TISSUE STORES OF FOLATE: DIETARY CONTROL AND ASSAYConrad Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have been involved for many years in the study of a group of proteins that tightly bind members of the folic acid family of coenzymes and have discovered four such proteins that have new and unusual functions...
- Iron Deficiency and Neural Tube DefectsIrene E Zohn; Fiscal Year: 2013..came with the realization that the incidence of these NTDs can be significantly reduced by periconceptional folic acid supplementation...
- Folic Acid, B-Vitamins and AMD: Blood and Diet-based StudiesWilliam G Christen; Fiscal Year: 2012..upon recent randomized trial findings for age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in the Women's Antioxidant Folic Acid Cardiovascular Study (WAFACS)...
- Folic Acid and Creatine as Therapeutic Approaches for Lowering Blood ArenicMARY VELESCA GAMBLE; Fiscal Year: 2013..We recently completed a randomized placebo-controlled trial of folic acid (FA) supplementation in 200 folate-deficient As-exposed residents of Araihazar, Bangladesh...
- NOXs, eNOS Uncoupling and Diabetic AtherogenesisHUA LINDA CAI; Fiscal Year: 2013..application is to address three hypotheses: 1) NAD(P)H oxidase 1 (NOX1) mediates eNOS uncoupling in diabetes;2) Folic acid (FA)-dependent restoration of eNOS cofactor tetrahydrobiopterin (H4B) salvage enzyme dihydrofolate reductase (..
- Folic Acid Vitamin B12 and One Carbon MetabolismCHARLES HOPKINSON HALSTED; Fiscal Year: 2010..registration support for speakers and trainees to attend the 13th biennial FASEB Summer Research Conference on Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, and One-Carbon metabolism which will be held August 1-6, 2010 at Carefree, Arizona, and for travel ..
- Category B Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS)Trang Q Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2013..The reports include selected indicators such as pregnancy intention, tobacco use, breastfeeding, and folic acid, presented by maternal demographics.
- Maternal dietary folic acid and risk of medulloblastoma in a mouse modelJULIE ANN contact ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Some evidence indicates that folic acid, a major component of prenatal vitamins, may be mediating the protective effect, however this is not entirely ..
- Functionalized Micellar Nanocarriers for Targeted Cancer TherapyChalet Tan; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to functionalize these mixed micelles with folic acid or hyaluronic acid (HA), to target FR-- or CD44-overexpressing tumor cells, respectively...
- The MTHFR C677T SNP exerts bipolar effects on colorectal cancer risk through theJoel B Mason; Fiscal Year: 2010..carcinogenesis is absolutely essential if industrialized societies are to intelligently and safely implement folic acid fortification programs, as well as identify appropriate individuals to target for supplementation programs that ..
- Mechanisms of mitochondrial folate metabolism in neural tube closureJESSICA E MOMB; Fiscal Year: 2013..One of the strongest links to modifying NTD susceptibility is to maternal folic acid status. However, the biochemical mechanisms that underlie these folate-dependent processes are not understood...
- Risk Genes and Environment Interactions in NTDsMARGARET ELIZABETH ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2013..remains unable to accurately predict the risk for an individual couple of having a child affected by NTD, how folic acid (FA) works to prevent NTDs, whether or what dose of FA is likely provide effective prevention for them or ..
- EFFECTS OF ASPIRIN IN GESTATION AND REPRODUCTION (EAGER)Robert Silver; Fiscal Year: 2009..at the NICHD is conducting a multi-site randomized trial to evaluate the effect of daily low-dose aspirin and folic acid, compared folic acid and placebo alone, on reproduction at all phases, beginning at preconception and continuing ..
- EFFECTS OF ASPIRIN IN GESTATION AND REPRODUCTION (EAGER)Robert F Kirsch; Fiscal Year: 2009..at the NICHD is conducting a multi-site randomized trial to evaluate the effect of daily low-dose aspirin and folic acid, compared folic acid and placebo alone, on reproduction at all phases, beginning at preconception and continuing ..
- Nanoporous Drug Delivery SystemsSergei N Smirnov; Fiscal Year: 2013..in vitro delivery of two small drug molecules, doxorubicin and paclitaxel and short strand 'therapeutic nucleic acids'(TNA) into cancerous cell lines that are targeted by one of three ligands, folic acid, EpCAM and HER2.
- Cervical Cancer Preventive Measures Based on HPV 16 EpigenomeChandrika J Piyathilake; Fiscal Year: 2013..of folate, in order to assess the influence of exposure to different levels of folate as a result of the US folic acid fortification program...
- Vitamin B12 and Folate in Relation to Cognition in the Framingham Offspring StudyJacob Selhub; Fiscal Year: 2010..prior to the policy's implementation continue to be raised both in the US, where the addition of still more folic acid to flour is being promoted, and in countries considering fortification...
- Folic Acid and B Vitamins to Prevent Fracture in WomenSteven Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2009..randomized trial to test the hypothesis that reducing plasma homocysteine levels by dietary supplementation with folic acid, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 will reduce the risk of non- spine fractures in women...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia in Alzheimer's DiseaseRamon Diaz Arrastia; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since vitamin supplementation with folic acid, vitamin B12, and pyridoxine can lower homocysteine levels, this association raises the exciting possibility ..
- MECHANISMS OF ANTIFOLATE EFFICACY IN ARTHRITISSarah Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2000..However, supplemental folic acid (pteroylglutamic acid) does not lessen the efficacy of the therapy...
- METHOTREXATE EFFECTS OF ASTROCYTESJocelyn Bruce; Fiscal Year: 1992..The MTX effects will be evaluated in rats which have been fed with folic acid- deficient diet as well as following co- administration of the drug with folic acid, leucovorin and methyl ..
- DNA METHYLATION AND COLORECTAL POLYPSRobert Haile; Fiscal Year: 2003..The first is that decreased dietary or RBC folic acid will be associated with an increase prevalence of hypermethylation of the promoter region of the ER...
- FOLATE EFFECT ON CHROMOSOMES IN BREAST CANCERRICHARD BRANDA; Fiscal Year: 2000..b>Folic acid deficiency is associated with numerous chromosomal changes and enhances the genetic damage caused by mutagens...
- RELATION OF DIET TO SERUM HOMOCYSTEINE LEVEL IN YOUTHSStavroula Osganian; Fiscal Year: 2001..Plasma tHcy levels respond rapidly to nutrient supplementation with folic acid and vitamins Bl2 and B6, alone or in combination...
- Metabolism of Endothelial Dysfunction in Renal DiseaseLeticia Castillo; Fiscal Year: 2006..The influence of dietary supplementation with arginine and folic acid on these metabolic pathways will also be explored...
- B VITAMIN ATHEROSCLEROSIS INTERVENTION TRAILHOWARD HODIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..shown plasma tHcy levels to be an independent risk factor for CHD that is easily modifiable with the B-vitamins, folic acid, vitamin B12, and vitamin B6...
- FOLIC ACID INTAKE & HOMOCYSTEINE--A DOSE RESPONSE STUDYShirley Beresford; Fiscal Year: 2000..information concerning the cardiovascular benefit likely to accrue from different strategies for increasing folic acid intake of the population...
- SYNTHESIS AND EVALUATION OF BORONATED FOLATES FOR BNCTWerner Tjarks; Fiscal Year: 2001..Cell membrane receptors mediating endocytotic transport of folic acid into cells are expressed in elevated levels in a variety of human tumors...