Genomes and Genes
Summary: A historical and cultural entity dispersed across the wide geographical area of Europe, as opposed to the East, Asia, and Africa. The term was used by scholars through the late medieval period. Thereafter, with the impact of colonialism and the transmission of cultures, Western World was sometimes expanded to include the Americas. (Dr. James H. Cassedy, NLM History of Medicine Division)
- Pritchard C, Baldwin D, Mayers A. Changing patterns of adult (45-74 years) neurological deaths in the major Western world countries 1979-1997. Public Health. 2004;118:268-83 pubmed..Further country-specific research is required to explain the emerging morbidity and mortality. ..
- Harmsworth K, Lewith G. Attitudes to traditional Chinese medicine amongst Western trained doctors in the People's Republic of China. Soc Sci Med. 2001;52:149-53 pubmed..TCM was not practiced in isolation, but in conjunction with Western medicine; 76% treating their patients with TCM, 90% treating their friends or family and 82% referring patients to TCM specialists. ..
- Zimring S. Health care decision-making capacity: a legal perspective for long-term care providers. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006;7:322-6 pubmed..Sensitivity to multicultural diversity in this context is imperative to maintain individual self-esteem and respect, both for the patient and the patient's family. ..
- Wiseman N. Concerning the use of Western medical terms to represent traditional Chinese medical concepts. Chin J Integr Med. 2006;12:225-8 pubmed..This paper supports these arguments with numerous other examples. ..
- McIlroy E. One half living for two: cross-cultural paradigms of twinship and twin loss. Omega (Westport). 2011;64:1-13 pubmed..They take into account the uniqueness of the twinship experience, and provide material for reflection on healing approaches outside the traditional parameters of psychology. ..
- Fazel S, Khosla V, Doll H, Geddes J. The prevalence of mental disorders among the homeless in western countries: systematic review and meta-regression analysis. PLoS Med. 2008;5:e225 pubmed publisher..Models of psychiatric and social care that can best meet these mental health needs requires further investigation. ..
- Jayasinghe S. Mind and body split. Medical professionals in Asia have subscribed to Western thought. BMJ. 2003;326:601 pubmed
- Zhang J, Lamis D, Yuanyuan K. Measuring Chinese psychological traits and social support with Western developed instruments in psychological autopsy studies. J Clin Psychol. 2012;68:1313-21 pubmed publisher..These findings may have important implications for the development and enhancement of more effective suicide prevention strategies in China. ..
- Miyata H, Yamasaki M, Kurokawa Y, Takiguchi S, Nakajima K, Fujiwara Y, et al. Multimodal treatment for resectable esophageal cancer. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011;59:461-6 pubmed publisher..However, we also must compare the survival benefits of preoperative chemotherapy with preoperative chemoradiotherapy. ..
- Stankov L, Higgins D, Saucier G, Knezevic G. Contemporary militant extremism: a linguistic approach to scale development. Psychol Assess. 2010;22:246-258 pubmed publisher..We also report the distributions of scores for the 3 subscales, mean differences among the 3 national samples, and correlations with a measure of dogmatism (M. Rokeach, 1956). ..
- Zhang M, Liu S. [A comparative study on the ethics of Western and traditional Chinese medicine]. Zhonghua Yi Shi Za Zhi. 2008;38:209-13 pubmed..With the progress of medical and life sciences, the medical ethics begins to transfer into the life ethics, thus giving rise to new questions in the ethics of Western medicine and TCM. ..
- Woodward W, Hetley R. Diffusion, decolonializing, and participatory action research. Integr Psychol Behav Sci. 2007;41:97-105; discussion 114-9 pubmed..Emancipatory goals such as these may even help North American psychologists to break free of some methodological chains and to bring about social and political change. ..
- Craven K, Hawks S. Cultural and western influences on the nutrition transition in Thailand. Promot Educ. 2006;13:14-20 pubmed
- Jin X, Xie H. [The establishment and development of Blyth hospital in Wenzhou]. Zhonghua Yi Shi Za Zhi. 2009;39:206-8 pubmed..The objectives, pattern, experience and characteristics of the establishment of the hospital played a certain revelatory role in modern medical work and medical education. ..
- Llaverias G, Danilo C, Wang Y, Witkiewicz A, Daumer K, Lisanti M, et al. A Western-type diet accelerates tumor progression in an autochthonous mouse model of prostate cancer. Am J Pathol. 2010;177:3180-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that dietary fat and cholesterol play an important role in the development of prostate cancer. ..
- Xutian S, Zhang J, Louise W. New exploration and understanding of traditional Chinese medicine. Am J Chin Med. 2009;37:411-26 pubmed
- Lu H, Graham D, Yamaoka Y. The Helicobacter pylori restriction endonuclease-replacing gene, hrgA, and clinical outcome: comparison of East Asia and Western countries. Dig Dis Sci. 2004;49:1551-5 pubmed..pylori from East Asia (29%) vs. those from the West (49%) (P < 0.001). The prevalence of the hrgA gene was not related to clinical outcome or to other important putative virulence factors. ..
- Sugiyama S. Traditional Kampo medicine: Unauthenticated in the Meiji era. Hist Sci (Tokyo). 2004;13:209-23 pubmed
- Becker R. Changing our view of the family. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2004;10:66 pubmed
- McCaffrey G, Raffin Bouchal S, Moules N. Buddhist thought and nursing: a hermeneutic exploration. Nurs Philos. 2012;13:87-97 pubmed publisher..Hermeneutics again provides a framework for interpretation. This paper establishes a philosophical ground for a critical and creative dialogue between Buddhist thought and nursing. ..
- Gilden D. The Western Hemisphere tentatively faces its AIDS problem. IAPAC Mon. 2003;9:126-30 pubmed
- Jacob M, Sturkenboom D. A women's scientific society in the west. The late eighteenth-century assimilation of science. Isis. 2003;94:217-52 pubmed..The elite lives of the first-generation members of the women's society also offer us a glimpse into the early domestication of science, a process vital to its acceptance and assimilation. ..
- Sahin Hodoglugil N. Theorist as an authentic person. Am J Bioeth. 2003;3:31-4 pubmed
- Tong B, Yip J, Lee T, Li L. Frontal fluency and memory functioning among multiple sclerosis patients in Hong Kong. Brain Inj. 2002;16:987-95 pubmed..These deficits cannot be explained by clinical or demographic variables. These findings further support the speculation of a verbal-non-verbal distinction for cognitive deficits in patients with MS in Hong Kong. ..
- ..Further integration of these themes into research may give a fresh perspective on important issues pertinent to contemporary psychiatry. ..
- Metz T. An African theory of bioethics: reply to MacPherson and Macklin. Dev World Bioeth. 2010;10:158-63 pubmed publisher..These are important issues for the field, and I use this reply to take discussion of them a step or two farther, defending my initial article from Macpherson's and Macklin's critical questions and objections. ..
- Shariat S, Assadi S, Noroozian M, Pakravannejad M, Yahyazadeh O, Aghayan S, et al. Psychopathy in Iran: a cross-cultural study. J Pers Disord. 2010;24:676-91 pubmed publisher..Deficient emotional experience might be the most significant factor in diagnosing psychopathy, regardless of the studied culture. Other factors appear to be relatively culture-specific. ..
- Yan H, Zhen X, Shu J, Liu J. Current state of clinical diagnosis and treatment of infantile cytomegaloviral hepatitis. Chin J Integr Med. 2010;16:87-91 pubmed publisher..More and more ways of regarding Chinese medicine treatment of cytomegaloviral hepatitis have been published increasingly in recent years, though further research to seek preferable treatment programs is still expected. ..
- Troesch B, Hoeft B, McBurney M, Eggersdorfer M, Weber P. Dietary surveys indicate vitamin intakes below recommendations are common in representative Western countries. Br J Nutr. 2012;108:692-8 pubmed publisher..We show that a gap exists between vitamin intakes and requirements for a significant proportion of the population, even though diverse foods are available. Ways to correct this gap need to be investigated. ..
- Schwalfenberg G, Genuis S. The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare. Scientifica (Cairo). 2017;2017:4179326 pubmed publisher..Emerging evidence confirms that nearly two-thirds of the population in the western world is not achieving the recommended daily allowance for magnesium, a deficiency problem contributing to various ..
- Valerio L, Sabria M, Fabregat A. [Tropical diseases in the Western world]. Med Clin (Barc). 2002;118:508-14 pubmed
- Neuberger J. A healthy view of dying. BMJ. 2003;327:207-8 pubmed
- Nilsson B, Lindström U, Nåden D. Is loneliness a psychological dysfunction? A literary study of the phenomenon of loneliness. Scand J Caring Sci. 2006;20:93-101 pubmed..It is perhaps in the silent reflective loneliness that we paradoxically develop a greater understanding of the benefits of togetherness. Our conclusion is therefore, that the phenomenon of loneliness is not a psychological dysfunction. ..
- Fan R. Modern Western science as a standard for traditional Chinese medicine: a critical appraisal. J Law Med Ethics. 2003;31:213-21 pubmed
- Makino M, Tsuboi K, Dennerstein L. Prevalence of eating disorders: a comparison of Western and non-Western countries. MedGenMed. 2004;6:49 pubmed..The prevalence of eating disorders in non-Western countries is lower than that of the Western countries but appears to be increasing. ..
- Nie J. The West's dismissal of the Khabarovsk trial as 'communist propaganda': ideology, evidence and international bioethics. J Bioeth Inq. 2004;1:32-42 pubmed
- Kozuki Y, Kennedy M. Cultural incommensurability in psychodynamic psychotherapy in Western and Japanese traditions. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2004;36:30-8 pubmed..These ineffective and often harmful practices were unrecognized by the Western therapists. ..
- Villadsen S, Mortensen L, Andersen A. Care during pregnancy and childbirth for migrant women: How do we advance? Development of intervention studies--the case of the MAMAACT intervention in Denmark. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2016;32:100-12 pubmed publisher..Based on a mixed method needs assessment, the MAMAACT study aimed to enhance the communication between migrant women and midwives during antenatal care regarding warning signs of pregnancy and how to access acute care. ..
- Khang Y. [Historical advances in health inequality research]. J Prev Med Public Health. 2007;40:422-30 pubmed..Finally, several research agendas for the quantitative and qualitative improvement of health inequality research in South Korea are proposed. ..
- Caperchione C, Kolt G, Mummery W. Physical activity in culturally and linguistically diverse migrant groups to Western society: a review of barriers, enablers and experiences. Sports Med. 2009;39:167-77 pubmed publisher..This information will inform and support the development of culturally appropriate programmes designed to positively influence the physical activity behaviours of individuals from CALD populations. ..
- Aslam M, Kreider J, Paruchuri T, Bhagavathula N, DaSilva M, Zernicke R, et al. A mineral-rich extract from the red marine algae Lithothamnion calcareum preserves bone structure and function in female mice on a Western-style diet. Calcif Tissue Int. 2010;86:313-24 pubmed publisher..Female mice on the mineral-supplemented HFWD had higher plasma levels of TRAP than mice of the other groups. There were no differences in the other two markers. Male mice showed little diet-specific differences by micro-CT. ..
- Wright S. War of the worlds. Nurs Stand. 2005;19:28-9 pubmed
- van der Greef J, van Wietmarschen H, Schroën J, Wang M, Hankemeier T, Xu G. Systems biology-based diagnostic principles as pillars of the bridge between Chinese and Western medicine. Planta Med. 2010;76:2036-47 pubmed publisher..New insights from this process of integrating Western and Chinese medicine will pave the way for a patient-centred health care ecosystem. ..
- Godoy R, Leonard W, Reyes García V, Goodman E, McDade T, Huanca T, et al. Physical stature of adult Tsimane' Amerindians, Bolivian Amazon in the 20th century. Econ Hum Biol. 2006;4:184-205 pubmed..The absence of a secular change likely reflects the persistence of traditional forms of social organization and production that protect health. ..
- Ward W, Kim S, Robert Bruce W. A western-style diet reduces bone mass and biomechanical bone strength to a greater extent in male compared with female rats during development. Br J Nutr. 2003;90:589-95 pubmed..This may be because male rats experienced greater overall body growth, as assessed by weight gain, than female rats, and suggests that the nutrient composition of the western-style diet did not support the development of strong femurs. ..
- Zhang J, Ma Z. Patterns of life events preceding the suicide in rural young Chinese: a case control study. J Affect Disord. 2012;140:161-7 pubmed publisher..Family is an important social institution in rural China for suicide prevention efforts. ..
- Aly O, Quayyum Z. Has laparoscopic colorectal surgery become more cost-effective over time?. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2012;27:855-60 pubmed publisher..The initial higher costs of laparoscopic surgery training may be worth the savings made in the long term if it is practised in settings where postoperative care is expensive. ..
- Walker A. Any hopes of falls in coronary heart disease in Western populations? Little chance of reducing its occurence. Cardiovasc J S Afr. 2002;13:249-50 pubmed
- Maisawa S, Sasaki M, Ida S, Uchida K, Kagimoto S, Shimizu T, et al. Characteristics of inflammatory bowel disease with an onset before eight years of age: a multicenter epidemiological survey in Japan. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;28:499-504 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that, in Japan, the pathogenesis of IBD in infants and children may differ from that in Western countries, and that the characteristics of early childhood-onset IBD are distinct from those of school age-onset IBD. ..
- Santos y Vargas L. [Historical development of ethics: outstanding milestones in the ethical discourse of the West]. P R Health Sci J. 2002;21:137-43 pubmed
- Liu G, Fang Q, Ma H, Sun G, Wang X. Distinguishing characteristics of urothelial carcinoma in kidney transplant recipients between China and Western countries. Transplant Proc. 2013;45:2197-202 pubmed publisher..The relationship of rhubarb consumption to UC in renal transplant recipients should be noted and evaluated. ..
- Georgiou P, Tan E, Gouvas N, Antoniou A, Brown G, Nicholls R, et al. Extended lymphadenectomy versus conventional surgery for rectal cancer: a meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2009;10:1053-62 pubmed publisher..A meta-analysis was undertaken to assess the value of extended lateral pelvic lymphadenectomy in the operative management of rectal cancer...
- Yamashita M. Cultural incommensurability. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2004;36:190; author reply 190 pubmed