enterohemorrhagic escherichia coli
Summary: Strains of ESCHERICHIA COLI that are a subgroup of SHIGA-TOXIGENIC ESCHERICHIA COLI. They cause non-bloody and bloody DIARRHEA; HEMOLYTIC UREMIC SYNDROME; and hemorrhagic COLITIS. An important member of this subgroup is ESCHERICHIA COLI O157-H7.
- Pacheco A, Sperandio V. Enteric Pathogens Exploit the Microbiota-generated Nutritional Environment of the Gut. Microbiol Spectr. 2015;3: pubmed publisher..EHEC senses whether it is in a gluconeogenic versus a glycolytic environment, as well as fluctuations of fucose levels to fine tune regulation of its virulence repertoire. ..
- Lajhar S, Brownlie J, Barlow R. Survival capabilities of Escherichia coli O26 isolated from cattle and clinical sources in Australia to disinfectants, acids and antimicrobials. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:47 pubmed publisher..coli O26 pathotypes examined in this study may contribute to bacterial colonization on food contact surfaces and subsequent foodborne illness caused by this pathogen. ..
- Cull C, Renter D, Dewsbury D, Noll L, Shridhar P, Ives S, et al. Feedlot- and Pen-Level Prevalence of Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli in Feces of Commercial Feedlot Cattle in Two Major U.S. Cattle Feeding Areas. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2017;14:309-317 pubmed publisherThe objective of this study was to determine feedlot- and pen-level fecal prevalence of seven enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) belonging to serogroups (O26, O45, O103, O111, O121, O145, and O157, or EHEC-7) in feces of feedlot ..
- Sandu P, Crepin V, Drechsler H, McAinsh A, Frankel G, Berger C. The Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli Effector EspW Triggers Actin Remodeling in a Rac1-Dependent Manner. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..The data suggest that Kif15 recruits EspW to the site of bacterial attachment, which in turn activates Rac1, resulting in modifications of the actin cytoskeleton that are essential to maintain cell shape during infection. ..
- Jansen A, Kielstein J. The new face of enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli infections. Euro Surveill. 2011;16: pubmed
- Nguyen Y, Nguyen N, Rogers J, Liao J, Macmillan J, Jiang Y, et al. Structural and mechanistic roles of novel chemical ligands on the SdiA quorum-sensing transcription regulator. MBio. 2015;6: pubmed publisher..Our studies provide crucial mechanistic insights into the ligand regulation of SdiA activity. ..
- Sule N, Pasupuleti S, Kohli N, Menon R, Dangott L, Manson M, et al. The Norepinephrine Metabolite 3,4-Dihydroxymandelic Acid Is Produced by the Commensal Microbiota and Promotes Chemotaxis and Virulence Gene Expression in Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..On the basis of its ability to both attract and induce virulence gene expression in EHEC, we propose that DHMA acts as a molecular beacon to target pathogens to their preferred sites of infection in vivo. ..
- McWilliams B, Torres A. Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli Adhesins. Microbiol Spectr. 2014;2: pubmed publisherAdhesins are a group of proteins in enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) that are involved in the attachment or colonization of this pathogen to abiotic (plastic or steel) and biological surfaces, such as those found in bovine and ..
- Stevens M, Frankel G. The Locus of Enterocyte Effacement and Associated Virulence Factors of Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli. Microbiol Spectr. 2014;2:EHEC-0007-2013 pubmed publisher..Here we review the features and functions of the LEE-encoded Type III secretion system and associated effectors of E. coli O157:H7 and other Shiga toxin-producing E. coli strains. ..
- Robinson L, Lewis W, Lewis A. The sialate O-acetylesterase EstA from gut Bacteroidetes species enables sialidase-mediated cross-species foraging of 9-O-acetylated sialoglycans. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11861-11872 pubmed publisher..We conclude that EstA specifically unlocks the nutritive potential of 9-O-acetylated mucus sialic acids for foraging by bacteria that otherwise are prevented from accessing this carbon source. ..
- Wan B, Zhang Q, Ni J, Li S, Wen D, Li J, et al. Type VI secretion system contributes to Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli virulence by secreting catalase against host reactive oxygen species (ROS). PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006246 pubmed publisherb>Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) is one major type of contagious and foodborne pathogens. The type VI secretion system (T6SS) has been shown to be involved in the bacterial pathogenicity and bacteria-bacteria competition...
- El Qaidi S, Chen K, Halim A, Siukstaite L, Rueter C, Hurtado Guerrero R, et al. NleB/SseK effectors from Citrobacter rodentium, Escherichia coli, and Salmonella enterica display distinct differences in host substrate specificity. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11423-11430 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that members of this highly conserved family of bacterial virulence effectors target different host protein substrates and exhibit distinct cellular modes of action to suppress host responses. ..
- Velle K, Campellone K. Extracellular motility and cell-to-cell transmission of enterohemorrhagic E. coli is driven by EspFU-mediated actin assembly. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006501 pubmed publisherEnteropathogenic and enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EPEC and EHEC) are closely-related pathogens that attach tightly to intestinal epithelial cells, efface microvilli, and promote cytoskeletal rearrangements into protrusions called ..