Genomes and Genes
gata3 transcription factor
Summary: A GATA transcription factor that is found predominately in LYMPHOID CELL precursors and has been implicated in the CELL DIFFERENTIATION of HELPER T-CELLS. Haploinsufficiency of GATA3 is associated with HYPOPARATHYROIDISM; SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS; and renal anomalies syndrome.
- Theodorou V, Stark R, Menon S, Carroll J. GATA3 acts upstream of FOXA1 in mediating ESR1 binding by shaping enhancer accessibility. Genome Res. 2013;23:12-22 pubmed publisher..Together, these experiments suggest that GATA3 directly impacts ESR1 enhancer accessibility, and may potentially explain the contribution of mutant-GATA3 in the heterogeneity of ESR1+ breast cancer. ..
- Lu C, Appler J, Houseman E, Goodrich L. Developmental profiling of spiral ganglion neurons reveals insights into auditory circuit assembly. J Neurosci. 2011;31:10903-18 pubmed publisher..Hence, our dataset provides a useful resource for uncovering the molecular basis of specific auditory circuit assembly events. ..
- Duncan J, Lim K, Engel J, Fritzsch B. Limited inner ear morphogenesis and neurosensory development are possible in the absence of GATA3. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:297-303 pubmed publisher..Finally, while GATA3 is expressed in the developing vestibulo-cochlear efferent (VCE) neurons, and its absence in the null mutants disrupts VCE projections to the ear, loss of GATA3 does not affect VCE progenitor cell migration. ..
- Luo X, Deng M, Xie X, Huang L, Wang H, Jiang L, et al. GATA3 controls the specification of prosensory domain and neuronal survival in the mouse cochlea. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:3609-23 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the essential role of Gata3 in specifying the prosensory domain in the cochlea and in regulating the survival of SGNs, thus identifying a molecular mechanism underlying human HDR syndrome. ..
- Horiuchi S, Onodera A, Hosokawa H, Watanabe Y, Tanaka T, Sugano S, et al. Genome-wide analysis reveals unique regulation of transcription of Th2-specific genes by GATA3. J Immunol. 2011;186:6378-89 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although GATA3 has been recognized as a master regulator of Th2 cell differentiation, many Th2-specific genes are not regulated by GATA3 itself, but in collaboration with STAT6. ..
- Hosoya Ohmura S, Lin Y, Herrmann M, Kuroha T, Rao A, Moriguchi T, et al. An NK and T cell enhancer lies 280 kilobase pairs 3' to the gata3 structural gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:1894-904 pubmed publisher..This novel, distant element regulates multiple major developmental stages that require GATA-3 activity. ..
- Pan N, Jahan I, Kersigo J, Kopecky B, Santi P, Johnson S, et al. Conditional deletion of Atoh1 using Pax2-Cre results in viable mice without differentiated cochlear hair cells that have lost most of the organ of Corti. Hear Res. 2011;275:66-80 pubmed publisher..This pattern of innervation by sensory neurons is maintained at least until P14, but fibers target the few Myo7a positive cells found in later stages. ..
- Sun Q, Zhang M, Xie K, Li X, Zeng C, Zhou M, et al. Endothelial injury in transplant glomerulopathy is correlated with transcription factor T-bet expression. Kidney Int. 2012;82:321-9 pubmed publisher..Since endothelial injury is a typical lesion that follows alloantibody reactivity, our results suggest that T-bet is involved in the pathogenesis of this glomerulopathy. ..
- Zhu J, Jankovic D, Oler A, Wei G, Sharma S, Hu G, et al. The transcription factor T-bet is induced by multiple pathways and prevents an endogenous Th2 cell program during Th1 cell responses. Immunity. 2012;37:660-73 pubmed publisher..Our study revealed redundancy and synergy among several Th1 cell-inducing pathways in regulating the expression of T-bet and IFN-?, and a critical role of T-bet in suppressing an endogenous Th2 cell-associated program...
- Hoyler T, Klose C, Souabni A, Turqueti Neves A, Pfeifer D, Rawlins E, et al. The transcription factor GATA-3 controls cell fate and maintenance of type 2 innate lymphoid cells. Immunity. 2012;37:634-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data demonstrate that GATA-3 is essential for ILC2 fate decisions and reveal similarities between the transcriptional programs controlling ILC and T helper cell fates. ..
- Oestreich K, Weinmann A. Master regulators or lineage-specifying? Changing views on CD4+ T cell transcription factors. Nat Rev Immunol. 2012;12:799-804 pubmed publisher..This in turn has led to the realization that CD4(+) T cell phenotypes are more diverse than previously recognized. ..
- Chu I, Michalowski A, Hoenerhoff M, Szauter K, Luger D, Sato M, et al. GATA3 inhibits lysyl oxidase-mediated metastases of human basal triple-negative breast cancer cells. Oncogene. 2012;31:2017-27 pubmed publisher..Induction of GATA3 in BTNBC cells or novel approaches that inhibit LOX expression or activity could be important strategies for treating BTNBCs. ..
- Nakamura A, Fujiwara F, Hasegawa Y, Ishizu K, Mabe A, Nakagawa H, et al. Molecular analysis of the GATA3 gene in five Japanese patients with HDR syndrome. Endocr J. 2011;58:123-30 pubmed..432insG mutants were markedly decreased, indicating that all four mutations are loss-of-function. In conclusion, this study reiterates the clinical variability in HDR syndrome and identifies three novel mutations of GATA3...
- Yoon N, Maresh E, Shen D, Elshimali Y, Apple S, Horvath S, et al. Higher levels of GATA3 predict better survival in women with breast cancer. Hum Pathol. 2010;41:1794-801 pubmed publisher..GATA3 is an important predictor of disease outcome in breast cancer patients. This finding has been validated in a diverse set of populations. Thus, GATA3 expression has utility as a prognostic indicator in breast cancer. ..
- Potvin E, Beuret L, Cadrin Girard J, Carter M, Roy S, Tremblay M, et al. Cooperative action of multiple cis-acting elements is required for N-myc expression in branchial arches: specific contribution of GATA3. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:5348-63 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that correct N-myc developmental expression is achieved via cooperation of multiple positive and negative regulatory elements. ..
- Yuan L, Wu L, Chen J, Wu Q, Hu S. Paclitaxel acts as an adjuvant to promote both Th1 and Th2 immune responses induced by ovalbumin in mice. Vaccine. 2010;28:4402-10 pubmed publisher..Considering its unique adjuvant effect demonstrated in this study and a safe record clinically used as an antineoplastic agent, paclitaxel could be an ideal adjuvant candidate when mixed Th1/Th2 immune responses are needed. ..
- Lu Y, Sjostrand M, Malmhall C, Radinger M, Jeurink P, Lotvall J, et al. New production of eosinophils and the corresponding TH1/TH2 balance in the lungs after allergen exposure in BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice. Scand J Immunol. 2010;71:176-85 pubmed publisher..This study shows that there is a difference in the distribution of eosinophils in the lung between the C57BL/6 and BALB/c mice, but no difference in eosinophil production or Th1/Th2 balance. ..
- Vahedi G, Takahashi H, Nakayamada S, Sun H, Sartorelli V, Kanno Y, et al. STATs shape the active enhancer landscape of T cell populations. Cell. 2012;151:981-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, these findings point to a critical role of STATs as environmental sensors in dynamically molding the specialized enhancer architecture of differentiating cells...
- Yang P, Qiu G, Su Z, Chen J, Wang S, Kong F, et al. The mutations of Th1 cell-specific T-box transcription factor may be associated with a predominant Th2 phenotype in gastric cancers. Int J Immunogenet. 2010;37:111-5 pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that a predominant Th2 phenotype was existence. T-bet gene mutations may be associated with Th2-dominated condition in gastric cancers. ..
- Chou J, Lin J, Brenot A, Kim J, Provot S, Werb Z. GATA3 suppresses metastasis and modulates the tumour microenvironment by regulating microRNA-29b expression. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:201-13 pubmed publisher..The discovery that a GATA3-miR-29b axis regulates the tumour microenvironment and inhibits metastasis opens up possibilities for therapeutic intervention in breast cancer. ..
- Marconett C, Sundar S, Poindexter K, Stueve T, Bjeldanes L, Firestone G. Indole-3-carbinol triggers aryl hydrocarbon receptor-dependent estrogen receptor (ER)alpha protein degradation in breast cancer cells disrupting an ERalpha-GATA3 transcriptional cross-regulatory loop. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1166-77 pubmed publisher..from Brassica vegetables, ablates ERalpha expression, and we have uncovered a critical role for the GATA3 transcription factor in this indole-regulated cascade...
- Peine M, Rausch S, Helmstetter C, Fröhlich A, Hegazy A, Kuhl A, et al. Stable T-bet(+)GATA-3(+) Th1/Th2 hybrid cells arise in vivo, can develop directly from naive precursors, and limit immunopathologic inflammation. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001633 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose the self-limitation of effector T cells based on the stable cell-intrinsic balance of two opposing differentiation programs as a novel concept of how the immune system can prevent excessive inflammation. ..
- Mielke L, Groom J, Rankin L, Seillet C, Masson F, Putoczki T, et al. TCF-1 controls ILC2 and NKp46+ROR?t+ innate lymphocyte differentiation and protection in intestinal inflammation. J Immunol. 2013;191:4383-91 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings demonstrate an essential requirement for TCF-1 in ILC2 differentiation and reveal a link among Tcf7, Notch, and Tbx21 in NKp46(+) ILC3 development. ..
- Sun J, He H, Pillai S, Xiong Y, Challa S, Xu L, et al. GATA3 transcription factor abrogates Smad4 transcription factor-mediated fascin overexpression, invadopodium formation, and breast cancer cell invasion. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:36971-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide mechanistic insight into how TGF?-mediated cell motility and invasiveness are differentially regulated in breast cancer. ..
- Garcia Ojeda M, Klein Wolterink R, Lemaitre F, Richard Le Goff O, Hasan M, Hendriks R, et al. GATA-3 promotes T-cell specification by repressing B-cell potential in pro-T cells in mice. Blood. 2013;121:1749-59 pubmed publisher..As such, GATA-3 is essential to sealing in Notch-induced T-cell fate in early thymocyte precursors by promoting T-cell identity through the repression of alternative developmental options. ..
- Zhang J, Mortazavi A, Williams B, Wold B, Rothenberg E. Dynamic transformations of genome-wide epigenetic marking and transcriptional control establish T cell identity. Cell. 2012;149:467-82 pubmed publisher..1 and GATA-3 relative to epigenetic marking reveals distinctive factor-specific rules for recruitment of these crucial transcription factors to different subsets of their potential sites, dependent on dose and developmental context. ..
- Liang H, Reinhardt R, Bando J, Sullivan B, Ho I, Locksley R. Divergent expression patterns of IL-4 and IL-13 define unique functions in allergic immunity. Nat Immunol. 2011;13:58-66 pubmed publisher..The distinct localization and cellular expression of IL-4 and IL-13 explains their unique roles during allergic immunity...
- Haugas M, Lilleväli K, Salminen M. Defects in sensory organ morphogenesis and generation of cochlear hair cells in Gata3-deficient mouse embryos. Hear Res. 2012;283:151-61 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that GATA3 is critical for normal vestibular and cochlear morphogenesis and that it is especially important for cochlear sensory differentiation. ..
- Appler J, Lu C, Druckenbrod N, Yu W, Koundakjian E, Goodrich L. Gata3 is a critical regulator of cochlear wiring. J Neurosci. 2013;33:3679-91 pubmed publisher..As the first auditory-specific regulator of SGN development, Gata3 provides a useful molecular entry point for efforts to engineer SGNs for the restoration of hearing. ..
- Klein Wolterink R, Serafini N, van Nimwegen M, Vosshenrich C, de Bruijn M, Fonseca Pereira D, et al. Essential, dose-dependent role for the transcription factor Gata3 in the development of IL-5+ and IL-13+ type 2 innate lymphoid cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:10240-5 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results identify Gata3 as a critical early regulator of ILC2 development, thereby extending the paradigm of Gata3-dependent control of type 2 immunity to include both innate and adaptive lymphocytes. ..
- Furusawa J, Moro K, Motomura Y, Okamoto K, Zhu J, Takayanagi H, et al. Critical role of p38 and GATA3 in natural helper cell function. J Immunol. 2013;191:1818-26 pubmed publisher..However, deletion of either GATA3 or ROR? in hematopoietic stem cells severely blocked the development into NH cells. Our results demonstrate the important roles of p38 and GATA3 in NH cell functions. ..
- Yang L, Rastegar S, Strahle U. Regulatory interactions specifying Kolmer-Agduhr interneurons. Development. 2010;137:2713-22 pubmed publisher..Instead, olig2 and gata3 are required for the differentiation of gad67-expressing KA' cells. This suggests that the layout of regulatory networks is crucially dependent on the lineage that differs between KA' and KA' cells. ..
- Hosoya T, Maillard I, Engel J. From the cradle to the grave: activities of GATA-3 throughout T-cell development and differentiation. Immunol Rev. 2010;238:110-25 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the characterized functions of GATA-3 at each stage of T-cell development and discuss hypothetical molecular pathways that mediate these functions. ..
- Mariani L, Schulz E, Lexberg M, Helmstetter C, Radbruch A, Löhning M, et al. Short-term memory in gene induction reveals the regulatory principle behind stochastic IL-4 expression. Mol Syst Biol. 2010;6:359 pubmed publisher..Our analysis shows how a stochastic mechanism acting at the chromatin level can be integrated with transcriptional regulation to quantitatively control cell-to-cell variability. ..
- KEMP K, Levin S, Bryce P, Stein P. Lck mediates Th2 differentiation through effects on T-bet and GATA-3. J Immunol. 2010;184:4178-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data imply that Lck mediates Th2 differentiation through effects on T-bet and GATA-3. ..
- Buza Vidas N, Duarte S, Luc S, Bouriez Jones T, Woll P, Jacobsen S. GATA3 is redundant for maintenance and self-renewal of hematopoietic stem cells. Blood. 2011;118:1291-3 pubmed publisher..Moreover, through long-term primary and secondary transplantation experiments, we also unequivocally demonstrate that Gata3 has a redundant role in post-transplantation HSC self-renewal. ..
- Mjösberg J, Bernink J, Golebski K, Karrich J, Peters C, Blom B, et al. The transcription factor GATA3 is essential for the function of human type 2 innate lymphoid cells. Immunity. 2012;37:649-59 pubmed publisher..Hence, we identify GATA3, potently regulated by TSLP, as an essential transcription factor for the function of human ILC2s. ..
- Tsarovina K, Reiff T, Stubbusch J, Kurek D, Grosveld F, Parlato R, et al. The Gata3 transcription factor is required for the survival of embryonic and adult sympathetic neurons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:10833-43 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Gata3 is continuously required for maintaining survival but not differentiation in the sympathetic neuron lineage up to mature neurons of adult animals. ..
- Home P, Saha B, Ray S, Dutta D, Gunewardena S, Yoo B, et al. Altered subcellular localization of transcription factor TEAD4 regulates first mammalian cell lineage commitment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:7362-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that altered subcellular localization of TEAD4 in blastomeres dictates first mammalian cell fate specification. ..
- Ku C, Hosoya T, Maillard I, Engel J. GATA-3 regulates hematopoietic stem cell maintenance and cell-cycle entry. Blood. 2012;119:2242-51 pubmed publisher..Therefore, GATA-3 is required for the maintenance of a normal number of LT-HSCs and for their entry into the cell cycle. ..
- Wohlfert E, Grainger J, Bouladoux N, Konkel J, Oldenhove G, Ribeiro C, et al. GATA3 controls Foxp3? regulatory T cell fate during inflammation in mice. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:4503-15 pubmed publisher..Overall, our work reveals what we believe to be a new facet in the complex role of GATA3 in T cells and highlights what may be a fundamental role in controlling Treg physiology during inflammation. ..
- Wang Y, Su M, Wan Y. An essential role of the transcription factor GATA-3 for the function of regulatory T cells. Immunity. 2011;35:337-48 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the combined function of GATA-3 and Foxp3 was essential for Foxp3 expression. These findings provide insights into immune regulatory mechanisms and uncover a critical function of GATA-3 in Treg cells and immune tolerance. ..
- Banerjee A, Northrup D, Boukarabila H, Jacobsen S, Allman D. Transcriptional repression of Gata3 is essential for early B cell commitment. Immunity. 2013;38:930-42 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, EBF1 binding to Gata3 regulatory sites induced repressive histone modifications across this region. These data identify a transcriptional circuit critical for B cell lineage commitment. ..
- Yan W, Cao Q, Arenas R, Bentley B, Shao R. GATA3 inhibits breast cancer metastasis through the reversal of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:14042-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that GATA3 drives invasive breast cancer cells to undergo the reversal of epithelial-mesenchymal transition, leading to the suppression of cancer metastasis. ..
- Duncan J, Fritzsch B. Continued expression of GATA3 is necessary for cochlear neurosensory development. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62046 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Gata3 may act in combination with Eya1, Six1, and Sox2 in cochlear prosensory gene signaling...
- Yagi R, Junttila I, Wei G, Urban J, Zhao K, Paul W, et al. The transcription factor GATA3 actively represses RUNX3 protein-regulated production of interferon-gamma. Immunity. 2010;32:507-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, the Runx3-mediated pathway, actively suppressed by GATA3, induces IFN-gamma production in a STAT4- and T-bet-independent manner. ..
- Huber J, RAMOS H, Gill M, Farrar J. Cutting edge: Type I IFN reverses human Th2 commitment and stability by suppressing GATA3. J Immunol. 2010;185:813-7 pubmed publisher..IL-4 promotes Th2 development by inducing the expression of the GATA3 transcription factor, and the Th2 phenotype is stabilized by a GATA3-dependent autoregulatory loop...
- Tanaka S, Motomura Y, Suzuki Y, Yagi R, Inoue H, Miyatake S, et al. The enhancer HS2 critically regulates GATA-3-mediated Il4 transcription in T(H)2 cells. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:77-85 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that HS2 is the target of GATA-3 in regulating chromosomal modification of the Il4 locus and is independent of the Il5 and Il13 loci. ..
- Fukami M, Muroya K, Miyake T, Iso M, Kato F, Yokoi H, et al. GATA3 abnormalities in six patients with HDR syndrome. Endocr J. 2011;58:117-21 pubmed
- Sun Q, Cheng D, Zhang M, He Q, Chen Z, Liu Z. Predominance of intraglomerular T-bet or GATA3 may determine mechanism of transplant rejection. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:246-52 pubmed publisher..In summary, predominance of intraglomerular T-bet expression correlates with antibody-mediated rejection and resistance to steroid treatment. ..
- Nakahira M, Nakanishi K. Requirement of GATA-binding protein 3 for II13 gene expression in IL-18-stimulated Th1 cells. Int Immunol. 2011;23:761-72 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Gata3, which is not originally expressed in T(h)1 cells, alters the cytokine production profile by T(h)1 cells. ..
- Kong S, Li G, Loh S, Sung W, Liu E. Cellular reprogramming by the conjoint action of ER?, FOXA1, and GATA3 to a ligand-inducible growth state. Mol Syst Biol. 2011;7:526 pubmed publisher..Cumulatively, these results suggest that all the enhanceosome components comprising ER?, FOXA1, and GATA3 are necessary for the full repertoire of cancer-associated effects of the ER?. ..
- Dydensborg A, Rose A, Wilson B, Grote D, Paquet M, Giguere V, et al. GATA3 inhibits breast cancer growth and pulmonary breast cancer metastasis. Oncogene. 2009;28:2634-42 pubmed publisher..We conclude that GATA3 inhibits primary breast tumor outgrowth and reduces lung metastatic burden by regulating key genes involved in metastatic breast tumor progression. ..
- Ferraris S, Del Monaco A, Garelli E, Carando A, De Vito B, Pappi P, et al. HDR syndrome: a novel "de novo" mutation in GATA3 gene. Am J Med Genet A. 2009;149A:770-5 pubmed publisher..Our patient carries a novel "de novo" GATA3 mutation, providing further evidence that HDR syndrome is caused by haploinsufficiency of GATA3, which may be responsible for a complex neurologic picture besides the known triad. ..
- Sel S, Wegmann M, Dicke T, Sel S, Henke W, Yildirim A, et al. Effective prevention and therapy of experimental allergic asthma using a GATA-3-specific DNAzyme. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;121:910-916.e5 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that topical application of the GATA-3-specific DNAzyme is a promising novel approach for the treatment of allergic bronchial asthma. ..
- Abba M, Nunez M, Colussi A, Croce M, Segal Eiras A, Aldaz C. GATA3 protein as a MUC1 transcriptional regulator in breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Res. 2006;8:R64 pubmed..The zinc-finger GATA3 transcription factor has been reported to be involved in the growth control and differentiation of breast epithelial cells...
- Cai S, Lee C, Kohwi Shigematsu T. SATB1 packages densely looped, transcriptionally active chromatin for coordinated expression of cytokine genes. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1278-88 pubmed..Thus, SATB1 is a necessary determinant for the hitherto unidentified higher-order, transcriptionally active chromatin structure that forms on T(H)2 cell activation. ..
- Hasegawa S, Moriguchi T, Rao A, Kuroha T, Engel J, Lim K. Dosage-dependent rescue of definitive nephrogenesis by a distant Gata3 enhancer. Dev Biol. 2007;301:568-77 pubmed
- Moriguchi T, Takako N, Hamada M, Maeda A, Fujioka Y, Kuroha T, et al. Gata3 participates in a complex transcriptional feedback network to regulate sympathoadrenal differentiation. Development. 2006;133:3871-81 pubmed