Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins that bind or transport specific substances in the blood, within the cell, or across cell membranes.
- Sahdo B, Fransen K, Asfaw Idosa B, Eriksson P, Söderquist B, Kelly A, et al. Cytokine profile in a cohort of healthy blood donors carrying polymorphisms in genes encoding the NLRP3 inflammasome. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75457 pubmed publisher..In spite of this, it could also represent the mechanisms by which the inflammatory loop is triggered into a long-term inflammatory phenotype. ..
- Wang J, Chen J, Gong Z. TopBP1 controls BLM protein level to maintain genome stability. Mol Cell. 2013;52:667-78 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data suggest that, although BLM is downregulated in G1 phase in order to promote NHEJ-mediated DNA repair, it is stabilized by TopBP1 in S phase cells in order to suppress SCE and thereby prevent genomic instability...
- Genschik P, Sumara I, Lechner E. The emerging family of CULLIN3-RING ubiquitin ligases (CRL3s): cellular functions and disease implications. EMBO J. 2013;32:2307-20 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize recent discoveries on the function of CRL3s in both metazoans and plants, and discuss their mode of regulation and specificities. ..
- Xu H, Jiang W, Feng L, Liu Y, Wu P, Jiang J, et al. Dietary vitamin C deficiency depresses the growth, head kidney and spleen immunity and structural integrity by regulating NF-ÎºB, TOR, Nrf2, apoptosis and MLCK signaling in young grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2016;52:111-38 pubmed publisher..2, 137.5, 135.8 and 129.8 mg/kg diet, respectively. ..
- Cardoso A, Fernandes A, Aguilar Pimentel J, de Angelis M, Guedes J, Brito M, et al. Towards frailty biomarkers: Candidates from genes and pathways regulated in aging and age-related diseases. Ageing Res Rev. 2018;: pubmed publisher..We believe that these predicted panels need to be experimentally explored in animal models and frail cohorts in order to ascertain their diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic potential. ..
- SÃ¡rkÃ¶zy M, SzÅ±cs G, Pipicz M, Zvara Ã, Ã‰der K, Fekete V, et al. The effect of a preparation of minerals, vitamins and trace elements on the cardiac gene expression pattern in male diabetic rats. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2015;14:85 pubmed publisher..Our results and further studies exploring the mechanistic role of individual genes may contribute to the prevention or diagnosis of cardiac complications in diabetes. ..
- Xu H, Jiang W, Feng L, Liu Y, Wu P, Jiang J, et al. Dietary vitamin C deficiency depressed the gill physical barriers and immune barriers referring to Nrf2, apoptosis, MLCK, NF-?B and TOR signaling in grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) under infection of Flavobacterium columnare. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2016;58:177-192 pubmed publisher..8, 156.6, 110.8, 57.8 and 134.9 mg/kg diet, respectively. ..
- Zhao Z, Barcus M, Kim J, Lum K, Mills C, Lei X. High Dietary Selenium Intake Alters Lipid Metabolism and Protein Synthesis in Liver and Muscle of Pigs. J Nutr. 2016;146:1625-33 pubmed publisher..Our research showed novel roles, to our best knowledge, and mechanisms of high selenium intakes in regulating the metabolism of protein, along with that of lipid, in a tissue-specific fashion in pigs. ..
- Simon Y, Kessler S, Gemperlein K, Bohle R, MÃ¼ller R, Haybaeck J, et al. Elevated free cholesterol in a p62 overexpression model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:17839-50 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence that p62/IGF2BP2-2 drives the progression of NASH through elevation of hepatic iron deposition and increased production of hepatic free cholesterol. ..
- Lugea A, Gerloff A, Su H, Xu Z, Go A, Hu C, et al. The Combination of Alcohol and Cigarette Smoke Induces Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and Cell Death in Pancreatic Acinar Cells. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:1674-1686 pubmed publisher..It also activates ER stress pathways that promote acinar cell death. ..
- Zhong W, Qian K, Xiong J, Ma K, Wang A, Zou Y. Curcumin alleviates lipopolysaccharide induced sepsis and liver failure by suppression of oxidative stress-related inflammation via PI3K/AKT and NF-?B related signaling. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;83:302-313 pubmed publisher..Strategies to inhibit inflammation and apoptosis signaling may provide alternatives to the current clinical approaches to improve oxidative responses of endotoxemia. ..
- Yu H, Wang D, Zou L, Zhang Z, Xu H, Zhu F, et al. Proteomic alterations of brain subcellular organelles caused by low-dose copper exposure: implication for Alzheimer's disease. Arch Toxicol. 2018;92:1363-1382 pubmed publisher..Exposure to copper might therefore contribute to the evolution of AD. ..
- Yun S, Han Y, Lee J, Kim S, Lee S. Enhanced Susceptibility to 5-Fluorouracil in Human Colon Cancer Cells by Silencing of GRP78. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:2975-2984 pubmed..GRP78 silencing and incubation with 5-FU have synergistic effects on the inhibition of LoVo colon cancer cell growth via the induction of ER stress-dependent apoptosis. ..
- Guo Y, Jiang W, Wu P, Liu Y, Zhou X, Kuang S, et al. The decreased growth performance and impaired immune function and structural integrity by dietary iron deficiency or excess are associated with TOR, NF-?B, p38MAPK, Nrf2 and MLCK signaling in head kidney, spleen and skin of grass carp (Ctenopharyngod. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;65:145-168 pubmed publisher..65, 87.03, 79.74, 78.93, 83.17 and 82.14 mg/kg diet (based on ferrous fumarate), respectively. ..
- Banerjee S, Aykin Burns N, Krager K, Shah S, Melnyk S, Hauer Jensen M, et al. Loss of C/EBPÎ´ enhances IR-induced cell death by promoting oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction. Free Radic Biol Med. 2016;99:296-307 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates a novel role for C/EBPÎ´ in protection from basal as well as IR-induced oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction thus promoting post-radiation survival. ..
- Trapphoff T, Heiligentag M, Dankert D, Demond H, Deutsch D, FrÃ¶hlich T, et al. Postovulatory aging affects dynamics of mRNA, expression and localization of maternal effect proteins, spindle integrity and pericentromeric proteins in mouse oocytes. Hum Reprod. 2016;31:133-49 pubmed publisher..The study has been supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG) (EI 199/7-1 | GR 1138/12-1 | HO 949/21-1 and FOR 1041). There is no competing interest. ..
- Udina M, Navines R, Egmond E, Oriolo G, Langohr K, Gimenez D, et al. Glucocorticoid Receptors, Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, Serotonin and Dopamine Neurotransmission are Associated with Interferon-Induced Depression. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2016;19: pubmed publisher..These findings may help to improve the management of patients on antiviral treatment and broaden our understanding of the pathogenesis of mood disorders. ..
- Schwabl P, Hambruch E, Seeland B, Hayden H, Wagner M, Garnys L, et al. The FXR agonist PX20606 ameliorates portal hypertension by targeting vascular remodelling and sinusoidal dysfunction. J Hepatol. 2017;66:724-733 pubmed publisher..Thus, PX20606 leads to an improved blood flow through the liver and decreases hypertension of the portal vein. Additionally, PX20606 improves the altered intestinal barrier and decreases bacterial migration from the gut. ..
- Xiong Y, Chen H, Lin P, Wang A, Wang L, Jin Y. ATF6 knockdown decreases apoptosis, arrests the S phase of the cell cycle, and increases steroid hormone production in mouse granulosa cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;312:C341-C353 pubmed publisher..The present study extends our understanding and provides new insights into the physiological significance of ATF6, a key signal transducer of ER stress, in ovarian granulosa cells. ..
- Michelassi F, Liu H, Hu Z, Dittman J. A C1-C2 Module in Munc13 Inhibits Calcium-Dependent Neurotransmitter Release. Neuron. 2017;95:577-590.e5 pubmed publisher..Thus, C1-C2B exerts a basal inhibition on Munc13 in the primed state, permitting calcium- and lipid-dependent control of C1-C2B to modulate synaptic strength. ..
- Kurkewich J, Hansen J, Klopfenstein N, Zhang H, Wood C, Boucher A, et al. The miR-23a~27a~24-2 microRNA cluster buffers transcription and signaling pathways during hematopoiesis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006887 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data demonstrates that mirn23a regulates a complex array of transcription and signaling pathways to modulate adult hematopoiesis. ..
- Zollo M, Ahmed M, Ferrucci V, Salpietro V, Asadzadeh F, Carotenuto M, et al. PRUNE is crucial for normal brain development and mutated in microcephaly with neurodevelopmental impairment. Brain. 2017;140:940-952 pubmed publisher..Together these studies define PRUNE as a molecule fundamental for normal human cortical development and define cellular and clinical consequences associated with PRUNE mutation. ..
- Ge C, Qin Y, Lou D, Li Q, Li Y, Wang Z, et al. iRhom2 deficiency relieves TNF-? associated hepatic dyslipidemia in long-term PM2.5-exposed mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1402-1409 pubmed publisher..5. The findings indicated that long-term PM2.5 exposure caused hepatic steatosis and dyslipidemia through triggering inflammation, which was, at least partly, dependent on iRhom2/TNF-? pathway in liver-resident macrophages...
- Michel M, Swatek K, Hospenthal M, Komander D. Ubiquitin Linkage-Specific Affimers Reveal Insights into K6-Linked Ubiquitin Signaling. Mol Cell. 2017;68:233-246.e5 pubmed publisher..AÂ protocol to enrich K6-ubiquitinated proteins from cells identifies HUWE1 as a main E3 ligase for this chain type, and we show that mitofusin-2 is modified with K6-linked polyubiquitin in a HUWE1-dependent manner. ..
- Zhou W, Yin Y, Weinheimer A, Kaur N, Carpino N, French J. Structural and Functional Characterization of the Histidine Phosphatase Domains of Human Sts-1 and Sts-2. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4637-4645 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that the human Sts proteins are druggable targets and provide a structural basis for future drug development efforts...
- Bolean M, Borin I, Simão A, Bottini M, Bagatolli L, Hoylaerts M, et al. Topographic analysis by atomic force microscopy of proteoliposomes matrix vesicle mimetics harboring TNAP and AnxA5. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017;1859:1911-1920 pubmed publisher..The present study achieved the topographic analysis of lipid vesicles by direct visualization of structural changes, resulting from protein incorporation, without the need for fluorescent probes. ..
- Ryu M, Zhang D, Protchenko O, Shakoury Elizeh M, Philpott C. PCBP1 and NCOA4 regulate erythroid iron storage and heme biosynthesis. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:1786-1797 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate the importance of ferritin for the vectorial transfer of imported iron to mitochondria in developing red cells and of PCBP1 and NCOA4 in mediating iron flux through ferritin. ..
- Espinoza Lewis R, Yang Q, Liu J, Huang Z, Hu X, Chen D, et al. Poly(C)-binding protein 1 (Pcbp1) regulates skeletal muscle differentiation by modulating microRNA processing in myoblasts. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9540-9550 pubmed publisher..Our study, therefore, uncovers the important function of Pcbp1 in skeletal muscle and the microRNA pathway, signifying its potential as a therapeutic target for muscle disease. ..
- Khodayari N, Wang R, Marek G, Krotova K, Kirst M, Liu C, et al. SVIP regulates Z variant alpha-1 antitrypsin retro-translocation by inhibiting ubiquitin ligase gp78. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172983 pubmed publisher..In this context, overexpression of gp78 or SVIP suppression may eliminate the toxic gain of function associated with polymerization of ZAAT, thus providing a potential new therapeutic approach to the treatment of AATD. ..
- Benedetti I, De Marzo A, Geliebter J, Reyes N. CXXC5 expression in prostate cancer: implications for cancer progression. Int J Exp Pathol. 2017;98:234-243 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that CXXC5 may play a role in the process of prostate carcinogenesis. Additional studies are required to determine the biological and clinical significance of CXXC5 in prostate cancer development and/or progression...
- Qin E, Cooper D, Abbott K, Lennon J, Nagaraja S, Mackay A, et al. Neural Precursor-Derived Pleiotrophin Mediates Subventricular Zone Invasion by Glioma. Cell. 2017;170:845-859.e19 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a pathogenic role for NPC:glioma interactions and potential therapeutic targets to limit glioma invasion. PAPERCLIP. ..
- Kubota H, Miyazaki M, Ogawa T, Shimozawa T, Kinosita K, Ishiwata S. Biphasic Effect of Profilin Impacts the Formin mDia1 Force-Sensing Mechanism in Actin Polymerization. Biophys J. 2017;113:461-471 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that the biphasic effect of profilin is controlled by mechanical force, thus expanding the function of mDia1 as a mechanosensitive regulator of actin polymerization. ..
- Oh S, Kim J, Kim Y, Lee M, Kook M, Choi E, et al. The extracellular matrix protein Edil3 stimulates osteoblast differentiation through the integrin ?5?1/ERK/Runx2 pathway. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0188749 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that Edil3 may stimulate osteoblast differentiation and matrix mineralization by increasing expression of Runx2 through ?5?1 integrin /ERK pathway. ..
- Shi H, Fang W, Liu M, Fu D. Complement component 1, q subcomponent binding protein (C1QBP) in lipid rafts mediates hepatic metastasis of pancreatic cancer by regulating IGF-1/IGF-1R signaling. Int J Cancer. 2017;141:1389-1401 pubmed publisher..Our findings about C1QBP in lipid rafts provide a novel strategy to block IGF-1/IGF-1R signaling in pancreatic cancer and a reliable premise for more efficient combined modality therapies. ..
- Suzuki S, Honda K, Nanjo H, Iikawa N, Tsuji T, Kawasaki Y, et al. CD147 expression correlates with lymph node metastasis in T1-T2 squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. Oncol Lett. 2017;14:4670-4676 pubmed publisher..Thus, an evaluation of the extent of CD147 expression in cancer cell nests at the invasive tumor front may help in predicting cervical lymph node metastasis in patients with clinical N0 T1-T2 tongue SCC...
- Senger M, Stripp S, Soboh B. Proteolytic cleavage orchestrates cofactor insertion and protein assembly in [NiFe]-hydrogenase biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11670-11681 pubmed publisher..Here, cleavage temporally orchestrates cofactor insertion and protein assembly and ensures that only cofactor-containing protein can continue along the assembly line toward functional [NiFe]-hydrogenase. ..
- Rafael J, Cruz F, Carvalho A, Gottlieb I, Cazelli J, Siciliano A, et al. Myosin-binding Protein C Compound Heterozygous Variant Effect on the Phenotypic Expression of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2017;108:354-360 pubmed publisher..Sugerimos que a expressão heterozigótica bialélica de p.E542Q e p.D610H pode ser responsável pelo fenótipo severo da doença encontrada no probando. ..
- Singh S, Narayanan S, Biswas K, Gupta A, Ahuja N, Yadav S, et al. Intragenic DNA methylation and BORIS-mediated cancer-specific splicing contribute to the Warburg effect. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:11440-11445 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the role of intragenic DNA methylation and DNA binding protein BORIS in cancer-specific splicing and its role in tumorigenesis. ..
- Chang C, Yang J, Li X, Zhao W, Chen S, Wang G, et al. [SPINK3: A novel growth factor that promotes rat liver regeneration]. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2016;50:457-65 pubmed publisher..SPINK3 combining with EGFR accelerated cell proliferation during rat liver regeneration via P38, PKC, JAK-STAT and AKT pathways. Thus, SPINK3 was likely to promote hepatocytes proliferation in LR through P38, PKC, JAK-STAT and AKT. ..
- Zahalka A, Arnal EstapÃ© A, Maryanovich M, Nakahara F, Cruz C, Finley L, et al. Adrenergic nerves activate an angio-metabolic switch in prostate cancer. Science. 2017;358:321-326 pubmed publisher..This cross-talk between nerves and endothelial metabolism could potentially be targeted as an anticancer therapy. ..
- Heller D, Tavag M, Hochschild A. CbtA toxin of Escherichia coli inhibits cell division and cell elongation via direct and independent interactions with FtsZ and MreB. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007007 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish CbtA as a dual function toxin that inhibits both cell division and cell elongation via direct and independent interactions with FtsZ and MreB. ..
- Kleino A, Ramia N, Bozkurt G, Shen Y, Nailwal H, Huang J, et al. Peptidoglycan-Sensing Receptors Trigger the Formation of Functional Amyloids of the Adaptor Protein Imd to Initiate Drosophila NF-ÎºB Signaling. Immunity. 2017;47:635-647.e6 pubmed publisher..Thus, diverse sequence motifs are capable of forming amyloidal signaling platforms, and the formation of these platforms may present a regulatory point in multiple biological processes. ..
- Brejc K, Bian Q, Uzawa S, Wheeler B, Anderson E, King D, et al. Dynamic Control of X Chromosome Conformation and Repression by a Histone H4K20 Demethylase. Cell. 2017;171:85-102.e23 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate the direct link between chromatin modification and higher-order chromosome structure in long-range regulation of gene expression. ..
- Zha L, He L, Xie W, Cheng J, Li T, Mohsen M, et al. Therapeutic silence of pleiotrophin by targeted delivery of siRNA and its effect on the inhibition of tumor growth and metastasis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177964 pubmed publisher..The lung targeted delivery by microbubble coated jetPEI revealed a comparable therapeutic effect with Tf-PEI, indicating its potential application for target delivery of siRNA in vivo. ..
- Wong L, ÄŒopiÄ A, Levine T. Advances on the Transfer of Lipids by Lipid Transfer Proteins. Trends Biochem Sci. 2017;42:516-530 pubmed publisher..Even where in vitro and in vivo experiments align, rates of transfer tend not to match. Here we set out some of the advances that might test how LTPs work. ..
- Liao M, Zhao X, Chang S, Lo C, Chenier I, Takano T, et al. AT2 R deficiency mediated podocyte loss via activation of ectopic hedgehog interacting protein (Hhip) gene expression. J Pathol. 2017;243:279-293 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Liu Z, Zhang Q, Ding Y, Ren Y, Yang H, Xi Q, et al. Overexpression of CHD1L is associated with poor survival and aggressive tumor biology in esophageal carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2017;8:74178-74187 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that CHD1L is a target oncogene with the potential to serve as a novel prognostic biomarker in EC pathogenesis...
- Tang N, Skibsted L. Sequential Proton Loss Electron Transfer in Deactivation of Iron(IV) Binding Protein by Tyrosine Based Food Components. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:6195-6210 pubmed publisher..In addition, a three tyrosine residue containing protein, lysozyme, was also found to be able to reduce ferrylmyoglobin with a second order rate constant of 66 ± 28 L/mol/s as determined by a competitive kinetic method. ..
- Castellano B, Thelen A, Moldavski O, Feltes M, van der Welle R, Mydock McGrane L, et al. Lysosomal cholesterol activates mTORC1 via an SLC38A9-Niemann-Pick C1 signaling complex. Science. 2017;355:1306-1311 pubmed publisher..Thus, lysosomal cholesterol drives mTORC1 activation and growth signaling through the SLC38A9-NPC1 complex. ..
- Prakasam G, Singh R, Iqbal M, Saini S, Tiku A, Bamezai R. Pyruvate kinase M knockdown-induced signaling via AMP-activated protein kinase promotes mitochondrial biogenesis, autophagy, and cancer cell survival. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15561-15576 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our observations, we propose an alternative therapeutic strategy of silencing either of the PKM isoforms along with AMPK in tumors. ..
- Scherer S, Cain M, Kanai S, Kaltenbronn K, Blumer K. Regulation of neurite morphogenesis by interaction between R7 regulator of G protein signaling complexes and G protein subunit G?13. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9906-9918 pubmed publisher..This mechanism expands the diversity of functions whereby R7-RGS complexes regulate critical aspects of nervous system development and function. ..
- Lanthier N, Lin Marq N, Rubbia Brandt L, Clement S, Goossens N, Spahr L. Autologous bone marrow-derived cell transplantation in decompensated alcoholic liver disease: what is the impact on liver histology and gene expression patterns?. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2017;8:88 pubmed publisher..With the negative results from the clinical trial, the impact of the SCT has to be interpreted as weak, and it is not able to modify the clinical course of this severe liver disease. ..
- Hoon M, Krishnamoorthy V, Gollisch T, Falkenburger B, Varoqueaux F. Loss of Neuroligin3 specifically downregulates retinal GABAA?2 receptors without abolishing direction selectivity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181011 pubmed publisher..Together our data underscore the importance of NL3 for the integrity of specific GABAAergic retinal circuits and identifies NL3 as an important regulator of retinal activity. ..
- Knopfel T, Atanassoff A, Hernando N, Biber J, Wagner C. Renal localization and regulation by dietary phosphate of the MCT14 orphan transporter. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177942 pubmed publisher..In summary, MCT14 is an orphan transporter regulated by phosphate and highly enriched in kidney localizing to the luminal membrane of one specific nephron segment...
- Ren J, Li J, Feng Y, Shu B, Gui Y, Wei W, et al. Rictor/mammalian target of rapamycin complex 2 promotes macrophage activation and kidney fibrosis. J Pathol. 2017;242:488-499 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Lee S, Chang S. nArgBP2 as a hub molecule in the etiology of various neuropsychiatric disorders. BMB Rep. 2016;49:457-8 pubmed..BMB Reports 2016; 49(9): 457-458]. ..
- Zeng X, Liu C, Han N, Bian H, Zhu M. Progress on the autophagic regulators and receptors in plants. Yi Chuan. 2016;38:644-650 pubmed