Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins that bind or transport specific substances in the blood, within the cell, or across cell membranes.
- Diana D, Smaldone G, De Antonellis P, Pirone L, Carotenuto M, Alonzi A, et al. Mapping functional interaction sites of human prune C-terminal domain by NMR spectroscopy in human cell lysates. Chemistry. 2013;19:12217-20 pubmed publisher..This study shows that protein functions mediated by protein-protein interactions can be accurately followed in cell lysates by using fast NMR spectroscopy, which could be easily used for a very efficient NMR drug-discovery strategy. ..
- Iyer S, He Q, Janczy J, Elliott E, Zhong Z, Olivier A, et al. Mitochondrial cardiolipin is required for Nlrp3 inflammasome activation. Immunity. 2013;39:311-323 pubmed publisher..Together these data suggest that mitochondria play a critical role in the activation of the Nlrp3 inflammasome through the direct binding of Nlrp3 to cardiolipin. ..
- Mori Y, Wakabayashi M, Mori T, Araki Y, Sohara E, Rai T, et al. Decrease of WNK4 ubiquitination by disease-causing mutations of KLHL3 through different molecular mechanisms. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;439:30-4 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the KLHL3 mutants causing PHAII investigated in this study exhibited less ability to ubiquitinate WNK4 because of KLHL3's low stability and/or decreased binding to CUL3 or WNK4. ..
- Marsiglia J, Credidio F, de Oliveira T, Reis R, Antunes M, de Araujo A, et al. Screening of MYH7, MYBPC3, and TNNT2 genes in Brazilian patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Am Heart J. 2013;166:775-82 pubmed publisher..Mutations in the MYH7 gene, rather than in the MYBPC3 gene, were also related to a worse prognosis. This is the first work characterizing HC molecular epidemiology in the Brazilian population for the 3 most important genes. ..
- Wang J, Chen J, Gong Z. TopBP1 controls BLM protein level to maintain genome stability. Mol Cell. 2013;52:667-78 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data suggest that, although BLM is downregulated in G1 phase in order to promote NHEJ-mediated DNA repair, it is stabilized by TopBP1 in S phase cells in order to suppress SCE and thereby prevent genomic instability...
- Genschik P, Sumara I, Lechner E. The emerging family of CULLIN3-RING ubiquitin ligases (CRL3s): cellular functions and disease implications. EMBO J. 2013;32:2307-20 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize recent discoveries on the function of CRL3s in both metazoans and plants, and discuss their mode of regulation and specificities. ..
- Sahdo B, Fransen K, Asfaw Idosa B, Eriksson P, Söderquist B, Kelly A, et al. Cytokine profile in a cohort of healthy blood donors carrying polymorphisms in genes encoding the NLRP3 inflammasome. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75457 pubmed publisher..In spite of this, it could also represent the mechanisms by which the inflammatory loop is triggered into a long-term inflammatory phenotype. ..
- Youm Y, Grant R, McCabe L, Albarado D, Nguyen K, Ravussin A, et al. Canonical Nlrp3 inflammasome links systemic low-grade inflammation to functional decline in aging. Cell Metab. 2013;18:519-32 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal Nlrp3 inflammasome as an upstream target that controls age-related inflammation and offer an innovative therapeutic strategy to lower Nlrp3 activity to delay multiple age-related chronic diseases. ..
- Beck T, Miller B. Structural basis for regulation of human glucokinase by glucokinase regulatory protein. Biochemistry. 2013;52:6232-9 pubmed publisher..The atomic description of the mammalian GCK-GKRP complex provides a framework for the development of novel diabetes therapeutic agents that disrupt this critical macromolecular regulatory unit. ..
- Jin J, Yu Q, Han C, Hu X, Xu S, Wang Q, et al. LRRFIP2 negatively regulates NLRP3 inflammasome activation in macrophages by promoting Flightless-I-mediated caspase-1 inhibition. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2075 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that LRRFIP2 inhibits NLRP3 inflammasome activation by recruiting the caspase-1 inhibitor Flightless-I, thus outlining a new mechanism for negative regulation of NLRP3 inflammasome. ..
- Kurkewich J, Hansen J, Klopfenstein N, Zhang H, Wood C, Boucher A, et al. The miR-23a~27a~24-2 microRNA cluster buffers transcription and signaling pathways during hematopoiesis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006887 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data demonstrates that mirn23a regulates a complex array of transcription and signaling pathways to modulate adult hematopoiesis. ..
- Michelassi F, Liu H, Hu Z, Dittman J. A C1-C2 Module in Munc13 Inhibits Calcium-Dependent Neurotransmitter Release. Neuron. 2017;95:577-590.e5 pubmed publisher..Thus, C1-C2B exerts a basal inhibition on Munc13 in the primed state, permitting calcium- and lipid-dependent control of C1-C2B to modulate synaptic strength. ..
- Ge C, Qin Y, Lou D, Li Q, Li Y, Wang Z, et al. iRhom2 deficiency relieves TNF-? associated hepatic dyslipidemia in long-term PM2.5-exposed mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1402-1409 pubmed publisher..5. The findings indicated that long-term PM2.5 exposure caused hepatic steatosis and dyslipidemia through triggering inflammation, which was, at least partly, dependent on iRhom2/TNF-? pathway in liver-resident macrophages...
- Bolean M, Borin I, Simão A, Bottini M, Bagatolli L, Hoylaerts M, et al. Topographic analysis by atomic force microscopy of proteoliposomes matrix vesicle mimetics harboring TNAP and AnxA5. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017;1859:1911-1920 pubmed publisher..The present study achieved the topographic analysis of lipid vesicles by direct visualization of structural changes, resulting from protein incorporation, without the need for fluorescent probes. ..
- Zhou W, Yin Y, Weinheimer A, Kaur N, Carpino N, French J. Structural and Functional Characterization of the Histidine Phosphatase Domains of Human Sts-1 and Sts-2. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4637-4645 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that the human Sts proteins are druggable targets and provide a structural basis for future drug development efforts...
- Espinoza Lewis R, Yang Q, Liu J, Huang Z, Hu X, Chen D, et al. Poly(C)-binding protein 1 (Pcbp1) regulates skeletal muscle differentiation by modulating microRNA processing in myoblasts. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9540-9550 pubmed publisher..Our study, therefore, uncovers the important function of Pcbp1 in skeletal muscle and the microRNA pathway, signifying its potential as a therapeutic target for muscle disease. ..
- Ryu M, Zhang D, Protchenko O, Shakoury Elizeh M, Philpott C. PCBP1 and NCOA4 regulate erythroid iron storage and heme biosynthesis. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:1786-1797 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate the importance of ferritin for the vectorial transfer of imported iron to mitochondria in developing red cells and of PCBP1 and NCOA4 in mediating iron flux through ferritin. ..
- Zollo M, Ahmed M, Ferrucci V, Salpietro V, Asadzadeh F, Carotenuto M, et al. PRUNE is crucial for normal brain development and mutated in microcephaly with neurodevelopmental impairment. Brain. 2017;140:940-952 pubmed publisher..Together these studies define PRUNE as a molecule fundamental for normal human cortical development and define cellular and clinical consequences associated with PRUNE mutation. ..
- Khodayari N, Wang R, Marek G, Krotova K, Kirst M, Liu C, et al. SVIP regulates Z variant alpha-1 antitrypsin retro-translocation by inhibiting ubiquitin ligase gp78. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172983 pubmed publisher..In this context, overexpression of gp78 or SVIP suppression may eliminate the toxic gain of function associated with polymerization of ZAAT, thus providing a potential new therapeutic approach to the treatment of AATD. ..
- Michel M, Swatek K, Hospenthal M, Komander D. Ubiquitin Linkage-Specific Affimers Reveal Insights into K6-Linked Ubiquitin Signaling. Mol Cell. 2017;68:233-246.e5 pubmed publisher..A protocol to enrich K6-ubiquitinated proteins from cells identifies HUWE1 as a main E3 ligase for this chain type, and we show that mitofusin-2 is modified with K6-linked polyubiquitin in a HUWE1-dependent manner. ..
- Qin E, Cooper D, Abbott K, Lennon J, Nagaraja S, Mackay A, et al. Neural Precursor-Derived Pleiotrophin Mediates Subventricular Zone Invasion by Glioma. Cell. 2017;170:845-859.e19 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a pathogenic role for NPC:glioma interactions and potential therapeutic targets to limit glioma invasion. PAPERCLIP. ..
- Kubota H, Miyazaki M, Ogawa T, Shimozawa T, Kinosita K, Ishiwata S. Biphasic Effect of Profilin Impacts the Formin mDia1 Force-Sensing Mechanism in Actin Polymerization. Biophys J. 2017;113:461-471 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that the biphasic effect of profilin is controlled by mechanical force, thus expanding the function of mDia1 as a mechanosensitive regulator of actin polymerization. ..
- Oh S, Kim J, Kim Y, Lee M, Kook M, Choi E, et al. The extracellular matrix protein Edil3 stimulates osteoblast differentiation through the integrin ?5?1/ERK/Runx2 pathway. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0188749 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that Edil3 may stimulate osteoblast differentiation and matrix mineralization by increasing expression of Runx2 through ?5?1 integrin /ERK pathway. ..
- Benedetti I, De Marzo A, Geliebter J, Reyes N. CXXC5 expression in prostate cancer: implications for cancer progression. Int J Exp Pathol. 2017;98:234-243 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that CXXC5 may play a role in the process of prostate carcinogenesis. Additional studies are required to determine the biological and clinical significance of CXXC5 in prostate cancer development and/or progression...
- Suzuki S, Honda K, Nanjo H, Iikawa N, Tsuji T, Kawasaki Y, et al. CD147 expression correlates with lymph node metastasis in T1-T2 squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. Oncol Lett. 2017;14:4670-4676 pubmed publisher..Thus, an evaluation of the extent of CD147 expression in cancer cell nests at the invasive tumor front may help in predicting cervical lymph node metastasis in patients with clinical N0 T1-T2 tongue SCC...
- Shi H, Fang W, Liu M, Fu D. Complement component 1, q subcomponent binding protein (C1QBP) in lipid rafts mediates hepatic metastasis of pancreatic cancer by regulating IGF-1/IGF-1R signaling. Int J Cancer. 2017;141:1389-1401 pubmed publisher..Our findings about C1QBP in lipid rafts provide a novel strategy to block IGF-1/IGF-1R signaling in pancreatic cancer and a reliable premise for more efficient combined modality therapies. ..
- Chang C, Yang J, Li X, Zhao W, Chen S, Wang G, et al. [SPINK3: A novel growth factor that promotes rat liver regeneration]. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2016;50:457-65 pubmed publisher..SPINK3 combining with EGFR accelerated cell proliferation during rat liver regeneration via P38, PKC, JAK-STAT and AKT pathways. Thus, SPINK3 was likely to promote hepatocytes proliferation in LR through P38, PKC, JAK-STAT and AKT. ..
- Singh S, Narayanan S, Biswas K, Gupta A, Ahuja N, Yadav S, et al. Intragenic DNA methylation and BORIS-mediated cancer-specific splicing contribute to the Warburg effect. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:11440-11445 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the role of intragenic DNA methylation and DNA binding protein BORIS in cancer-specific splicing and its role in tumorigenesis. ..
- Zahalka A, Arnal EstapÃ© A, Maryanovich M, Nakahara F, Cruz C, Finley L, et al. Adrenergic nerves activate an angio-metabolic switch in prostate cancer. Science. 2017;358:321-326 pubmed publisher..This cross-talk between nerves and endothelial metabolism could potentially be targeted as an anticancer therapy. ..
- Senger M, Stripp S, Soboh B. Proteolytic cleavage orchestrates cofactor insertion and protein assembly in [NiFe]-hydrogenase biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11670-11681 pubmed publisher..Here, cleavage temporally orchestrates cofactor insertion and protein assembly and ensures that only cofactor-containing protein can continue along the assembly line toward functional [NiFe]-hydrogenase. ..
- Rafael J, Cruz F, Carvalho A, Gottlieb I, Cazelli J, Siciliano A, et al. Myosin-binding Protein C Compound Heterozygous Variant Effect on the Phenotypic Expression of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2017;108:354-360 pubmed publisher..Sugerimos que a expressão heterozigótica bialélica de p.E542Q e p.D610H pode ser responsável pelo fenótipo severo da doença encontrada no probando. ..
- Liu Z, Zhang Q, Ding Y, Ren Y, Yang H, Xi Q, et al. Overexpression of CHD1L is associated with poor survival and aggressive tumor biology in esophageal carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2017;8:74178-74187 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that CHD1L is a target oncogene with the potential to serve as a novel prognostic biomarker in EC pathogenesis...
- Kleino A, Ramia N, Bozkurt G, Shen Y, Nailwal H, Huang J, et al. Peptidoglycan-Sensing Receptors Trigger the Formation of Functional Amyloids of the Adaptor Protein Imd to Initiate Drosophila NF-ÎºB Signaling. Immunity. 2017;47:635-647.e6 pubmed publisher..Thus, diverse sequence motifs are capable of forming amyloidal signaling platforms, and the formation of these platforms may present a regulatory point in multiple biological processes. ..
- Wu B, Li Y, Ong K, Sun Y, Shrestha S, Hou L, et al. Reduction of In-Stent Restenosis by Cholesteryl Ester Transfer Protein Inhibition. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:2333-2341 pubmed publisher..This study asks whether increasing plasma high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels by inhibiting cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity with the anacetrapib analog, des-fluoro-anacetrapib, prevents stent-induced neointimal hyperplasia...
- Heller D, Tavag M, Hochschild A. CbtA toxin of Escherichia coli inhibits cell division and cell elongation via direct and independent interactions with FtsZ and MreB. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007007 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish CbtA as a dual function toxin that inhibits both cell division and cell elongation via direct and independent interactions with FtsZ and MreB. ..
- Brejc K, Bian Q, Uzawa S, Wheeler B, Anderson E, King D, et al. Dynamic Control of X Chromosome Conformation and Repression by a Histone H4K20 Demethylase. Cell. 2017;171:85-102.e23 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate the direct link between chromatin modification and higher-order chromosome structure in long-range regulation of gene expression. ..
- Wong L, ÄŒopiÄ A, Levine T. Advances on the Transfer of Lipids by Lipid Transfer Proteins. Trends Biochem Sci. 2017;42:516-530 pubmed publisher..Even where in vitro and in vivo experiments align, rates of transfer tend not to match. Here we set out some of the advances that might test how LTPs work. ..
- Liao M, Zhao X, Chang S, Lo C, Chenier I, Takano T, et al. AT2 R deficiency mediated podocyte loss via activation of ectopic hedgehog interacting protein (Hhip) gene expression. J Pathol. 2017;243:279-293 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Tang N, Skibsted L. Sequential Proton Loss Electron Transfer in Deactivation of Iron(IV) Binding Protein by Tyrosine Based Food Components. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:6195-6210 pubmed publisher..In addition, a three tyrosine residue containing protein, lysozyme, was also found to be able to reduce ferrylmyoglobin with a second order rate constant of 66 ± 28 L/mol/s as determined by a competitive kinetic method. ..
- Zha L, He L, Xie W, Cheng J, Li T, Mohsen M, et al. Therapeutic silence of pleiotrophin by targeted delivery of siRNA and its effect on the inhibition of tumor growth and metastasis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177964 pubmed publisher..The lung targeted delivery by microbubble coated jetPEI revealed a comparable therapeutic effect with Tf-PEI, indicating its potential application for target delivery of siRNA in vivo. ..
- Prakasam G, Singh R, Iqbal M, Saini S, Tiku A, Bamezai R. Pyruvate kinase M knockdown-induced signaling via AMP-activated protein kinase promotes mitochondrial biogenesis, autophagy, and cancer cell survival. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15561-15576 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our observations, we propose an alternative therapeutic strategy of silencing either of the PKM isoforms along with AMPK in tumors. ..
- Castellano B, Thelen A, Moldavski O, Feltes M, van der Welle R, Mydock McGrane L, et al. Lysosomal cholesterol activates mTORC1 via an SLC38A9-Niemann-Pick C1 signaling complex. Science. 2017;355:1306-1311 pubmed publisher..Thus, lysosomal cholesterol drives mTORC1 activation and growth signaling through the SLC38A9-NPC1 complex. ..
- Lanthier N, Lin Marq N, Rubbia Brandt L, Clement S, Goossens N, Spahr L. Autologous bone marrow-derived cell transplantation in decompensated alcoholic liver disease: what is the impact on liver histology and gene expression patterns?. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2017;8:88 pubmed publisher..With the negative results from the clinical trial, the impact of the SCT has to be interpreted as weak, and it is not able to modify the clinical course of this severe liver disease. ..
- Scherer S, Cain M, Kanai S, Kaltenbronn K, Blumer K. Regulation of neurite morphogenesis by interaction between R7 regulator of G protein signaling complexes and G protein subunit G?13. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9906-9918 pubmed publisher..This mechanism expands the diversity of functions whereby R7-RGS complexes regulate critical aspects of nervous system development and function. ..
- Hoon M, Krishnamoorthy V, Gollisch T, Falkenburger B, Varoqueaux F. Loss of Neuroligin3 specifically downregulates retinal GABAA?2 receptors without abolishing direction selectivity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181011 pubmed publisher..Together our data underscore the importance of NL3 for the integrity of specific GABAAergic retinal circuits and identifies NL3 as an important regulator of retinal activity. ..
- Zeng X, Liu C, Han N, Bian H, Zhu M. Progress on the autophagic regulators and receptors in plants. Yi Chuan. 2016;38:644-650 pubmed
- Knopfel T, Atanassoff A, Hernando N, Biber J, Wagner C. Renal localization and regulation by dietary phosphate of the MCT14 orphan transporter. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177942 pubmed publisher..In summary, MCT14 is an orphan transporter regulated by phosphate and highly enriched in kidney localizing to the luminal membrane of one specific nephron segment...
- Lee S, Chang S. nArgBP2 as a hub molecule in the etiology of various neuropsychiatric disorders. BMB Rep. 2016;49:457-8 pubmed..BMB Reports 2016; 49(9): 457-458]. ..
- Ren J, Li J, Feng Y, Shu B, Gui Y, Wei W, et al. Rictor/mammalian target of rapamycin complex 2 promotes macrophage activation and kidney fibrosis. J Pathol. 2017;242:488-499 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..