Genomes and Genes
suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 protein
Summary: A suppressor of cytokine signaling protein that consists of an N-terminal kinase-inhibitory region, a central SH2 DOMAIN, a characteristic C-terminal SOCS box (a 40-amino acid motif, which functions to recruit E3 UBIQUITIN-PROTEIN LIGASE COMPLEXES). SOCS1 functions as a negative regulator of CYTOKINES that signal through the JANUS KINASES-STAT 3 TRANSCRIPTION FACTOR (JAK/STAT3) pathway by inhibiting the activity of JANUS KINASES.
- Li S, Chen S, Xu X, Sundstedt A, Paulsson K, Anderson P, et al. Cytokine-induced Src homology 2 protein (CIS) promotes T cell receptor-mediated proliferation and prolongs survival of activated T cells. J Exp Med. 2000;191:985-94 pubmed..The functions of CIS, enhancing TCR signaling and inhibiting cytokine signaling, may be important in the regulation of immune response and homeostasis. ..
- Sato Y, Koshizuka T, Ishibashi K, Hashimoto K, Ishioka K, Ikuta K, et al. Involvement of herpes simplex virus type 1 UL13 protein kinase in induction of SOCS genes, the negative regulators of cytokine signaling. Microbiol Immunol. 2017;61:159-167 pubmed publisher..Accumulation of activated Sp1 was detectable in the nuclei of HSV-1-infected cells before induction of SOCS3. Taken together, these results suggest that HSV-1 has a potent mechanism for escaping from the IFN system. ..
- Lopez Rodriguez R, Hernández Bartolomé Á, Borque M, Rodríguez Muñoz Y, Martín Vílchez S, Garcia Buey L, et al. Interferon-related genetic markers of necroinflammatory activity in chronic hepatitis C. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180927 pubmed publisher..74). The identified genetic variants in interferon signaling pathways may constitute useful prognostic markers of CHC progression. Further validation in larger cohorts of patients is needed. ..
- Wang L, Xu J, Wu H, Zhang J, Tian Y. [Expression and role of TLR and SOCS mRNA in newborn infants]. Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi. 2006;44:621-2 pubmed
- Chevrier M, Bobbala D, Villalobos Hernandez A, Khan M, Ramanathan S, Saucier C, et al. Expression of SOCS1 and the downstream targets of its putative tumor suppressor functions in prostate cancer. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:157 pubmed publisher..Hence, prospective studies with larger numbers of metastatic PCa specimens incorporating clinical correlates such as disease-free and overall survival are warranted. ..
- He Q, Sun C, Lei W, Ma J. SOCS1 Regulates Apoptosis and Inflammation by Inhibiting IL-4 Signaling in IL-1?-Stimulated Human Osteoarthritic Chondrocytes. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:4601959 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a potential therapeutic target for the clinical treatment of OA. ..
- Youssef S, Hamdy N. SOCS1 and pattern recognition receptors: TLR9 and RIG-I; novel haplotype associations in Egyptian fibrotic/cirrhotic patients with HCV genotype 4. Arch Virol. 2017;162:3347-3354 pubmed publisher..Therefore, performing this specific SNP testing may be of value for the stratification of the population at risk. ..
- Blumer T, Coto Llerena M, Duong F, Heim M. SOCS1 is an inducible negative regulator of interferon ? (IFN-?)-induced gene expression in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17928-17938 pubmed publisher..We found that IFN-? signaling is transient and becomes refractory after hours, whereas IFN-? provides a long-lasting IFN-stimulated gene induction. ..
- Chikuma S, Kanamori M, Mise Omata S, Yoshimura A. Suppressors of cytokine signaling: Potential immune checkpoint molecules for cancer immunotherapy. Cancer Sci. 2017;108:574-580 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes recent progress on CIS, SOCS1, and SOCS3 in terms of their anti-tumor immunity and potential applications. ..
- Takahashi R, Nakatsukasa H, Shiozawa S, Yoshimura A. SOCS1 Is a Key Molecule That Prevents Regulatory T Cell Plasticity under Inflammatory Conditions. J Immunol. 2017;199:149-158 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that Socs1-deficient Tregs tend to convert into ex-Tregs under the inflammatory conditions in which APCs are highly activated, and that SOCS1 could be a useful target for enhancement of anti-tumor immunity. ..
- Demirel O, Balló O, Reddy P, Vakhrusheva O, Zhang J, Eichler A, et al. SOCS1 function in BCR-ABL mediated myeloproliferative disease is dependent on the cytokine environment. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180401 pubmed publisher..Therefore SOCS1 can promote opposing functions depending on the cytokine environment. ..