Genomes and Genes
fibroblast growth factor 10
Summary: A fibroblast growth factor that is a mitogen for KERATINOCYTES. It activates FIBROBLAST GROWTH FACTOR RECEPTOR 2B and is involved in LUNG and limb development.
- Izvolsky K, Zhong L, Wei L, Yu Q, Nugent M, Cardoso W. Heparan sulfates expressed in the distal lung are required for Fgf10 binding to the epithelium and for airway branching. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2003;285:L838-46 pubmed..Our data suggest that, not only ligand availability, but also the presence of specific patterns of HS modification in the distal lung epithelium are critical determinants of Fgf10 binding to the epithelium and signaling. ..
- Golzio C, Havis E, Daubas P, Nuel G, Babarit C, Munnich A, et al. ISL1 directly regulates FGF10 transcription during human cardiac outflow formation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30677 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the interest of examining developmental regulatory networks directly in human tissues, when possible, to assess candidate non-coding regions that may be responsible for congenital malformations. ..
- Que J, Okubo T, Goldenring J, Nam K, Kurotani R, Morrisey E, et al. Multiple dose-dependent roles for Sox2 in the patterning and differentiation of anterior foregut endoderm. Development. 2007;134:2521-31 pubmed..These findings suggest that Sox2 plays a second role in establishing the boundary between the keratinized, squamous esophagus/forestomach and glandular hindstomach. ..
- Weaver M, Dunn N, Hogan B. Bmp4 and Fgf10 play opposing roles during lung bud morphogenesis. Development. 2000;127:2695-704 pubmed..There is evidence that Fibroblast growth factor 10 (Fgf10) and Bone Morphogenetic Protein 4 (Bmp4), expressed in the distal mesenchyme and endoderm, ..
- Fairbanks T, Kanard R, De Langhe S, Sala F, Del Moral P, Warburton D, et al. A genetic mechanism for cecal atresia: the role of the Fgf10 signaling pathway. J Surg Res. 2004;120:201-9 pubmed..Epithelial and muscular layers of the cecum are not present in the atretic cecum. The Fgf10(-/-) and Fgfr2b(-/-) mutants represent a genetically reproducible animal model of autosomal recessive intestinal atresia. ..
- Ibrahimi O, Zhang F, Eliseenkova A, Itoh N, Linhardt R, Mohammadi M. Biochemical analysis of pathogenic ligand-dependent FGFR2 mutations suggests distinct pathophysiological mechanisms for craniofacial and limb abnormalities. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:2313-24 pubmed..We suggest that elevated AS mutant FGFR2b signaling may account for the dermatological manifestations of AS. ..
- Berg T, Rountree C, Lee L, Estrada J, Sala F, Choe A, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 10 is critical for liver growth during embryogenesis and controls hepatoblast survival via beta-catenin activation. Hepatology. 2007;46:1187-97 pubmed..We suggest a role for stellate/myofibroblastic FGF10 within the liver stem cell niche in supporting the proliferating hepatoblast. ..
- Qiao J, Bush K, Steer D, Stuart R, Sakurai H, Wachsman W, et al. Multiple fibroblast growth factors support growth of the ureteric bud but have different effects on branching morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2001;109:123-35 pubmed
- Entesarian M, Dahlqvist J, Shashi V, Stanley C, Falahat B, Reardon W, et al. FGF10 missense mutations in aplasia of lacrimal and salivary glands (ALSG). Eur J Hum Genet. 2007;15:379-82 pubmed..The clinical features of these patients further broaden the knowledge of FGF10-related phenotypes...
- Clark J, Tichelaar J, Wert S, Itoh N, Perl A, Stahlman M, et al. FGF-10 disrupts lung morphogenesis and causes pulmonary adenomas in vivo. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;280:L705-15 pubmed..FGF-10 disrupted lung morphogenesis and induced multifocal pulmonary tumors in vivo and caused reversible type II cell differentiation of the respiratory epithelium...
- Shin D, Lee Y, Poss K, Stainier D. Restriction of hepatic competence by Fgf signaling. Development. 2011;138:1339-48 pubmed publisher..These data provide in vivo evidence that endodermal cells outside the liver-forming region retain hepatic competence and show that an extrinsic signal, Fgf10a, negatively regulates hepatic competence. ..
- Kawakami Y, Capdevila J, Buscher D, Itoh T, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J. WNT signals control FGF-dependent limb initiation and AER induction in the chick embryo. Cell. 2001;104:891-900 pubmed..Thus, three WNT signals mediated by beta-catenin control both limb initiation and AER induction in the vertebrate embryo. ..
- Upadhyay D, Panduri V, Kamp D. Fibroblast growth factor-10 prevents asbestos-induced alveolar epithelial cell apoptosis by a mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent mechanism. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2005;32:232-8 pubmed..We conclude that FGF-10 decreases asbestos-induced AEC DNA damage and apoptosis in part by mechanisms involving MEK/ERK-dependent signaling that affects the mitochondria-regulated death pathway. ..
- Chioni A, Grose R. Negative regulation of fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF-10) by polyoma enhancer activator 3 (PEA3). Eur J Cell Biol. 2009;88:371-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, PEA3 can regulate the transcription of Fgf-10 and such modulation can control breast cancer cell behaviour. ..
- Manfroid I, Delporte F, Baudhuin A, Motte P, Neumann C, Voz M, et al. Reciprocal endoderm-mesoderm interactions mediated by fgf24 and fgf10 govern pancreas development. Development. 2007;134:4011-21 pubmed
- Nyeng P, Norgaard G, Kobberup S, Jensen J. FGF10 maintains distal lung bud epithelium and excessive signaling leads to progenitor state arrest, distalization, and goblet cell metaplasia. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:2 pubmed publisher..The fibroblast growth factor 10 (Fgf10) null mouse is characterized by the absence of lung bud development...
- Naiche L, Papaioannou V. Tbx4 is not required for hindlimb identity or post-bud hindlimb outgrowth. Development. 2007;134:93-103 pubmed..Despite evidence from ectopic expression studies, our work establishes that loss of Tbx4 has no effect on hindlimb identity as assessed by morphology or molecular markers. ..
- Shin M, Noji S, Neubüser A, Yasugi S. FGF10 is required for cell proliferation and gland formation in the stomach epithelium of the chicken embryo. Dev Biol. 2006;294:11-23 pubmed..These results demonstrate that FGF10 signaling, mediated by FGFR1b and/or FGFR2b, is required for proliferation and gland formation in the epithelium in the developing chick embryo. ..
- Rice R, Spencer Dene B, Connor E, Gritli Linde A, McMahon A, Dickson C, et al. Disruption of Fgf10/Fgfr2b-coordinated epithelial-mesenchymal interactions causes cleft palate. J Clin Invest. 2004;113:1692-700 pubmed..We show that coordinated epithelial-mesenchymal interactions are essential during the initial stages of palate development and require an Fgf-Shh signaling network. ..
- Sakiyama J, Yamagishi A, Kuroiwa A. Tbx4-Fgf10 system controls lung bud formation during chicken embryonic development. Development. 2003;130:1225-34 pubmed..These results suggested that Tbx4 governs multiple processes during respiratory tract development; i.e. the initial endodermal bud formation, respiratory endoderm formation, and septation of the respiratory tract and the esophagus. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Raible D. FGF-dependent mechanosensory organ patterning in zebrafish. Science. 2008;320:1774-7 pubmed publisher..This previously unrecognized mechanism may be applicable to understanding segmentation and morphogenesis in other organ systems. ..
- Chen X, Li J, Hu W, Yang S, Gong Y. Differential gene expression of human keratinocyte HaCaT cells induced by fibroblast growth factor 10 treatment. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010;342:71-85 pubmed publisherb>Fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) has multiple biological activities involved in angiogenesis, mitogenesis, cellular differentiation, development, and tissue injury repair...
- Kelly R, Brown N, Buckingham M. The arterial pole of the mouse heart forms from Fgf10-expressing cells in pharyngeal mesoderm. Dev Cell. 2001;1:435-40 pubmed..The nlacZ transgene has integrated upstream of the fibroblast growth factor 10 (Fgf10) gene and comparison with the expression pattern of Fgf10 in pharyngeal mesoderm indicates ..
- Norgaard G, Jensen J, Jensen J. FGF10 signaling maintains the pancreatic progenitor cell state revealing a novel role of Notch in organ development. Dev Biol. 2003;264:323-38 pubmed..These data suggest that FGF10 signaling serves to integrate cell growth and terminal differentiation at the level of Notch activation, revealing a novel second role of this key signaling system during pancreatic development. ..
- Sakaue H, Konishi M, Ogawa W, Asaki T, Mori T, Yamasaki M, et al. Requirement of fibroblast growth factor 10 in development of white adipose tissue. Genes Dev. 2002;16:908-12 pubmed..Therefore, FGF10 plays an important role in adipogenesis, at least partly by contributing to the expression of C/EBPbeta through an autocrine/paracrine mechanism. ..
- Mailleux A, Spencer Dene B, Dillon C, Ndiaye D, Savona Baron C, Itoh N, et al. Role of FGF10/FGFR2b signaling during mammary gland development in the mouse embryo. Development. 2002;129:53-60 pubmed..Our results also suggest that FGF signaling is involved in the maintenance of mammary bud 4, and that Fgf10 deficient epithelium can undergo branching morphogenesis into the mammary fat pad precursor. ..
- Ramasamy S, Mailleux A, Gupte V, Mata F, Sala F, Veltmaat J, et al. Fgf10 dosage is critical for the amplification of epithelial cell progenitors and for the formation of multiple mesenchymal lineages during lung development. Dev Biol. 2007;307:237-47 pubmed..Thus, our results indicate that FGF10 plays a pivotal role in maintaining epithelial progenitor cell proliferation as well as coordinating alveolar smooth muscle cell formation and vascular development. ..
- Chen F, Cao Y, Qian J, Shao F, Niederreither K, Cardoso W. A retinoic acid-dependent network in the foregut controls formation of the mouse lung primordium. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:2040-8 pubmed publisher..The data in this study suggest that disruption of Wnt/Tgfbeta/Fgf10 interactions represents the molecular basis for the classically reported failure to form lung buds in vitamin A deficiency. ..
- Marchese C, Felici A, Visco V, Lucania G, Igarashi M, Picardo M, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 10 induces proliferation and differentiation of human primary cultured keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;116:623-8 pubmedb>Fibroblast growth factor 10 is a novel member of the fibroblast growth factor family, which is involved in morphogenesis and epithelial proliferation...
- Volckaert T, Campbell A, Dill E, Li C, Minoo P, De Langhe S. Localized Fgf10 expression is not required for lung branching morphogenesis but prevents differentiation of epithelial progenitors. Development. 2013;140:3731-42 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, our data presented here show that once epithelial cells are committed to the Sox2-positive airway epithelial cell fate, Fgf10 prevents ciliated cell differentiation and promotes basal cell differentiation. ..
- Tai C, Curtis J, Sala F, Del Moral P, Chokshi N, Kanard R, et al. Induction of fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) in the ileal crypt epithelium after massive small bowel resection suggests a role for FGF10 in gut adaptation. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:294-301 pubmed publisherWe have previously reported that fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) is crucial for the survival and proliferation of progenitor cells during embryonic gastrointestinal development...
- del Moral P, De Langhe S, Sala F, Veltmaat J, Tefft D, Wang K, et al. Differential role of FGF9 on epithelium and mesenchyme in mouse embryonic lung. Dev Biol. 2006;293:77-89 pubmed..Our work shows for the first time that FGF9 acts on the epithelium involving FGFR2b to control its proliferation but not its differentiation and contributes to the regulation of canonical Wnt signaling in the epithelium. ..
- Ohuchi H, Hori Y, Yamasaki M, Harada H, Sekine K, Kato S, et al. FGF10 acts as a major ligand for FGF receptor 2 IIIb in mouse multi-organ development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;277:643-9 pubmed..These results suggest that FGF10 acts as a major ligand for FGFR2b in mouse multi-organ development. ..
- Revest J, Spencer Dene B, Kerr K, De Moerlooze L, Rosewell I, Dickson C. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 2-IIIb acts upstream of Shh and Fgf4 and is required for limb bud maintenance but not for the induction of Fgf8, Fgf10, Msx1, or Bmp4. Dev Biol. 2001;231:47-62 pubmed..5, providing evidence that Fgfs act primarily as survival factors. We propose that FgfR2-IIIb is not required for limb bud initiation, but is essential for its maintenance and growth. ..
- Alderson R, Gohari Fritsch S, Olsen H, Roschke V, Vance C, Connolly K. In vitro and in vivo effects of repifermin (keratinocyte growth factor-2, KGF-2) on human carcinoma cells. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2002;50:202-12 pubmed..This is critical to the safety profile of repifermin, since it is currently in phase II clinical trials for the treatment of cancer patients with mucositis resulting from chemo- or radiotherapy. ..
- Ishiwata T, Naito Z, Lu Y, Kawahara K, Fujii T, Kawamoto Y, et al. Differential distribution of fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-7 and FGF-10 in L-arginine-induced acute pancreatitis. Exp Mol Pathol. 2002;73:181-90 pubmed..These findings suggest that FGF-7 and FGF-10 contribute to the regeneration and differentiation of acinar cells and angiogenesis in AP through KGFR. ..
- Jacquemin P, Yoshitomi H, Kashima Y, Rousseau G, Lemaigre F, Zaret K. An endothelial-mesenchymal relay pathway regulates early phases of pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2006;290:189-99 pubmed
- Carev D, Saraga M, Saraga Babic M. Involvement of FGF and BMP family proteins and VEGF in early human kidney development. Histol Histopathol. 2008;23:853-62 pubmed publisher..Due to VEGF involvement in vasculogenesis and angiogenesis, abnormal VEGF appearance might lead to impaired formation of the blood vessel network in the human permanent kidney. ..
- Makarenkova H, Ito M, Govindarajan V, Faber S, Sun L, McMahon G, et al. FGF10 is an inducer and Pax6 a competence factor for lacrimal gland development. Development. 2000;127:2563-72 pubmed..This suggested that its role in induction is to stimulate proliferation and, in turn, that FGF10 combines with other factors to provide the instructive signals required for lacrimal gland development. ..
- Hirashima T, Iwasa Y, Morishita Y. Mechanisms for split localization of Fgf10 expression in early lung development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2813-22 pubmed publisher..Fgf10 expression has a single peak when a length between the tip of lung bud and the lung border is large. When the length is small, Fgf10 expression has two peaks, whose location depends on the curvature of lung border. ..
- Wright T, Mansour S. Fgf3 and Fgf10 are required for mouse otic placode induction. Development. 2003;130:3379-90 pubmed..Finally, examination of embryos carrying three out of the four mutant Fgf alleles revealed intermediate phenotypes, suggesting a quantitative requirement for FGF signalling in otic vesicle formation. ..
- Jancelewicz T, Nobuhara K, Hawgood S. Laser microdissection allows detection of abnormal gene expression in cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:1044-51 pubmed publisher..05) but no significant differences in FGF10 or FGFR2. LMD may be used to overcome the limitations of tissue heterogeneity in the study of CCAM. Abnormal growth factor expression may play a role in the etiology of this lesion. ..
- Jaskoll T, Abichaker G, Witcher D, Sala F, Bellusci S, Hajihosseini M, et al. FGF10/FGFR2b signaling plays essential roles during in vivo embryonic submandibular salivary gland morphogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2005;5:11 pubmed
- Kovacs D, Falchi M, Cardinali G, Raffa S, Carducci M, Cota C, et al. Immunohistochemical analysis of keratinocyte growth factor and fibroblast growth factor 10 expression in psoriasis. Exp Dermatol. 2005;14:130-7 pubmed..however, have focused on the possible involvement of the keratinocyte growth factor (KGF/FGF-7) and the fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF-10/KGF-2), which are secreted by fibroblasts and stimulate keratinocyte proliferation acting ..
- Burns R, Fairbanks T, Sala F, De Langhe S, Mailleux A, Thiery J, et al. Requirement for fibroblast growth factor 10 or fibroblast growth factor receptor 2-IIIb signaling for cecal development in mouse. Dev Biol. 2004;265:61-74 pubmed..At E10.5, Fibroblast growth factor 10 (Fgf10) is specifically expressed in the mesenchyme above the future cecal epithelial bud, whereas ..
- De Langhe S, Carraro G, Warburton D, Hajihosseini M, Bellusci S. Levels of mesenchymal FGFR2 signaling modulate smooth muscle progenitor cell commitment in the lung. Dev Biol. 2006;299:52-62 pubmed..Our work unravels part of the complex interactions that govern normal lung development and may be pertinent to understanding the basis of respiratory defects in Apert syndrome. ..
- Bhushan A, Itoh N, Kato S, Thiery J, Czernichow P, Bellusci S, et al. Fgf10 is essential for maintaining the proliferative capacity of epithelial progenitor cells during early pancreatic organogenesis. Development. 2001;128:5109-17 pubmed..These results indicate that Fgf10 signalling is required for the normal development of the pancreas and should prove useful in devising methods to expand pancreatic progenitor cells. ..
- Abler L, Mansour S, Sun X. Conditional gene inactivation reveals roles for Fgf10 and Fgfr2 in establishing a normal pattern of epithelial branching in the mouse lung. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1999-2013 pubmed publisherb>Fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) signaling through FGF receptor 2 (FGFR2) is required for lung initiation...
- Kanard R, Fairbanks T, De Langhe S, Sala F, Del Moral P, Lopez C, et al. Fibroblast growth factor-10 serves a regulatory role in duodenal development. J Pediatr Surg. 2005;40:313-6 pubmed..By studying the mechanism of Fgf10 function in foregut development, the authors hope to better understand these anomalies and to explore possible therapeutic alternatives. ..
- Taniguchi F, Harada T, Sakamoto Y, Yamauchi N, Yoshida S, Iwabe T, et al. Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway by keratinocyte growth factor or fibroblast growth factor-10 promotes cell proliferation in human endometrial carcinoma cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:773-80 pubmed..These results demonstrate for the first time that KGF and FGF-10 are capable of stimulating the growth of endometrial carcinoma cells via activating MAPK pathway through autocrine/paracrine fashion. ..
- Metzger R, Klein O, Martin G, Krasnow M. The branching programme of mouse lung development. Nature. 2008;453:745-50 pubmed publisher..We show that this hierarchical and modular programme is genetically tractable, and it is ideally suited to encoding and evolving the complex networks of the lung and other branched organs. ..
- Gonzaga S, Henriques Coelho T, Davey M, Zoltick P, Leite Moreira A, Correia Pinto J, et al. Cystic adenomatoid malformations are induced by localized FGF10 overexpression in fetal rat lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2008;39:346-55 pubmed publisher..These findings support a role for FGF10 in the induction of human CCAM and provide further mechanistic insight into the role of FGF10 in normal and abnormal lung development. ..
- Hajihosseini M, De Langhe S, Lana Elola E, Morrison H, Sparshott N, Kelly R, et al. Localization and fate of Fgf10-expressing cells in the adult mouse brain implicate Fgf10 in control of neurogenesis. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:857-68 pubmed publisher..The manner in which Fgf10 is expressed in these active and quiescent neurogenic niches implicates it in control of neurogenesis and/or conservation of neurogenic potential. ..
- Shams I, Rohmann E, Eswarakumar V, Lew E, Yuzawa S, Wollnik B, et al. Lacrimo-auriculo-dento-digital syndrome is caused by reduced activity of the fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10)-FGF receptor 2 signaling pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6903-12 pubmed..Genetic studies have implicated heterozygous mutations in fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) and in FGF receptor 2 (FGFR2) in LADD syndrome...
- Ohuchi H, Yasue A, Ono K, Sasaoka S, Tomonari S, Takagi A, et al. Identification of cis-element regulating expression of the mouse Fgf10 gene during inner ear development. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:177-87 pubmed..Furthermore, the analysis of a putative inner ear enhancer of Fgf10 has disclosed a complicated regulation of Fgf10 during inner ear development by numerous transcription factors and signaling pathways. ..
- Upadhyay D, Bundesmann M, Panduri V, Correa Meyer E, Kamp D. Fibroblast growth factor-10 attenuates H2O2-induced alveolar epithelial cell DNA damage: role of MAPK activation and DNA repair. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2004;31:107-13 pubmed..We conclude that FGF-10 attenuates H2O2-induced AEC DNA damage by mechanisms that involve activation of Grb2-SOS/Ras/RAF-1/ERK1/2 pathway and DNA repair. ..
- Hosokawa R, Oka K, Yamaza T, Iwata J, Urata M, Xu X, et al. TGF-beta mediated FGF10 signaling in cranial neural crest cells controls development of myogenic progenitor cells through tissue-tissue interactions during tongue morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2010;341:186-95 pubmed publisher..The addition of FGF10 rescued the muscle cell number in Wnt1-Cre;Tgfbr2(flox/flox) mice. Thus, TGF-beta induced FGF10 signaling has a critical function in regulating tissue-tissue interaction during tongue skeletal muscle development. ..
- Mailleux A, Tefft D, Ndiaye D, Itoh N, Thiery J, Warburton D, et al. Evidence that SPROUTY2 functions as an inhibitor of mouse embryonic lung growth and morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2001;102:81-94 pubmed..We and others have shown that Fibroblast Growth Factor 10 (FGF10) is a key positive regulator of lung branching morphogenesis...
- Katoh Y, Katoh M. Comparative genomics on FGF7, FGF10, FGF22 orthologs, and identification of fgf25. Int J Mol Med. 2005;16:767-70 pubmed..This is the first report on fgf25 gene and also on the comparative integromics analyses of FGF7, FGF10 and FGF22 orthologs. ..
- Abate Shen C, Shen M. FGF signaling in prostate tumorigenesis--new insights into epithelial-stromal interactions. Cancer Cell. 2007;12:495-7 pubmed
- Koshiba Takeuchi K, Takeuchi J, Arruda E, Kathiriya I, Mo R, Hui C, et al. Cooperative and antagonistic interactions between Sall4 and Tbx5 pattern the mouse limb and heart. Nat Genet. 2006;38:175-83 pubmed..Thus, a positive and negative feed-forward circuit between Tbx5 and Sall4 ensures precise patterning of embryonic limb and heart and provides a unifying mechanism for heart/hand syndromes. ..