Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Locale: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- Gordon S, Steinberg J, DuPuis M, Kozarsky P, Nickerson J, Visvesvara G. Culture isolation of Acanthamoeba species and leptomyxid amebas from patients with amebic meningoencephalitis, including two patients with AIDS. Clin Infect Dis. 1992;15:1024-30 pubmed
- Henderson J, Biek R, Hanlon C, O Dee S, Real L. Rabies virus in raccoons, Ohio, 2004. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:650-2 pubmed publisher..Our genetic investigation indicates that this outbreak may have begun several years before 2004 and may have originated within the vaccination zone...
- Murphy T, Nakamura Y, Takeuchi K, Alexander R. A cloned angiotensin receptor isoform from the turkey adrenal gland is pharmacologically distinct from mammalian angiotensin receptors. Mol Pharmacol. 1993;44:1-7 pubmed..These results demonstrate an avian structural homologue of mammalian AT1 receptors possessing distinct pharmacological properties with both peptide and nonpeptide AT receptor ligands. ..
- Li T, Kelly W. A role for WDR5 in TRA-1/Gli mediated transcriptional control of the sperm/oocyte switch in C. elegans. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:5567-81 pubmed publisher..elegans sex determination, and provide evidence that this important protein may operate independently of its established role in histone methyltransferase complexes. ..
- Yang S, Huang S, Gaertig M, Li X, Li S. Age-dependent decrease in chaperone activity impairs MANF expression, leading to Purkinje cell degeneration in inducible SCA17 mice. Neuron. 2014;81:349-65 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the age-related decline in chaperone activity affects polyglutamine protein function that is important for the viability of specific types of neurons. ..
- Inagaki A, Frank C, Usachev Y, Benveniste M, Lee A. Pharmacological correction of gating defects in the voltage-gated Ca(v)2.1 Ca²? channel due to a familial hemiplegic migraine mutation. Neuron. 2014;81:91-102 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a mechanism by which a Ca(v)2.1 gating modifier can ameliorate defects associated with a disease-causing mutation in Ca(v)2.1. ..
- Hudson M, Woodworth Hobbs M, Zheng B, Rahnert J, Blount M, Gooch J, et al. miR-23a is decreased during muscle atrophy by a mechanism that includes calcineurin signaling and exosome-mediated export. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2014;306:C551-8 pubmed publisher..Dex did not alter the number of exosomes released into the media. We conclude that atrophy-inducing conditions downregulate miR-23a in muscle by mechanisms involving attenuated Cn/NFAT signaling and selective packaging into exosomes. ..
- Polavarapu R, Gongora M, Winkles J, Yepes M. Tumor necrosis factor-like weak inducer of apoptosis increases the permeability of the neurovascular unit through nuclear factor-kappa B pathway activation. J Neurosci. 2005;25:10094-100 pubmed..We conclude that the cytokine TWEAK plays a role in the disruption of the structure and permeability of the NVU during physiological and pathological conditions. ..
- Shim H, Oishi S, Fujii N. Chemokine receptor CXCR4 as a therapeutic target for neuroectodermal tumors. Semin Cancer Biol. 2009;19:123-34 pubmed publisher..As an attractive therapeutic target of CXCR4/CXCL12 axis for cancer chemotherapy, development history and application of CXCR4 antagonists are described...
- Kim Y, Quan F, Yoo D, Compans R, Kang S, Prausnitz M. Improved influenza vaccination in the skin using vaccine coated microneedles. Vaccine. 2009;27:6932-8 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that vaccination in the skin using a microneedle patch can improve protective immunity, and simplify delivery of influenza and possibly other vaccines. ..
- Bagamian K, Douglass R, Alvarado A, Kuenzi A, Amman B, Waller L, et al. Population density and seasonality effects on Sin Nombre virus transmission in North American deermice (Peromyscus maniculatus) in outdoor enclosures. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37254 pubmed publisher..Seasonality may have a stronger influence on disease transmission dynamics than host population density, and density effects cannot be considered independent of seasonality...
- Simon T, Manning R. Development of a reference dose for the persistent congeners of weathered toxaphene based on in vivo and in vitro effects related to tumor promotion. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2006;44:268-81 pubmed..To apply this reference dose to a particular WT mixture, information is needed regarding the percentage of summation 3PC in the mixture. ..
- Rogers E, Hsiung F, Rodrigues A, Moses K. Slingshot cofilin phosphatase localization is regulated by receptor tyrosine kinases and regulates cytoskeletal structure in the developing Drosophila eye. Mech Dev. 2005;122:1194-205 pubmed..We suggest that there are two modes of actin remodeling in the developing eye: a non-RTK, non-Ssh mediated mechanism in the morphogenetic furrow, and an RTK and Ssh-dependent mode during ommatidial assembly. ..
- Arnold R, Sun Q, Sun C, Richards J, O Hearn S, Osunkoya A, et al. An inherited heteroplasmic mutation in mitochondrial gene COI in a patient with prostate cancer alters reactive oxygen, reactive nitrogen and proliferation. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:239257 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that mitochondrial DNA mutations resulting in increased reactive oxygen and reactive nitrogen generation may be involved in prostate cancer biology. ..
- Nix W, Khetsuriani N, Peñaranda S, Maher K, Venczel L, Cselkó Z, et al. Diversity of picornaviruses in rural Bolivia. J Gen Virol. 2013;94:2017-28 pubmed publisher..No single virus, or combination of viruses, specifically correlated with AFP; however, the study revealed a surprising complexity of enteric picornaviruses in a single community. ..
- Yang D, Sun Y, Lin X, Baumann J, Warnock M, Lawrence D, et al. Taming neonatal hypoxic-ischemic brain injury by intranasal delivery of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1. Stroke. 2013;44:2623-2627 pubmed publisher..Intranasal delivery of CPAI is an effective treatment of experimental HI brain injury of newborns. Clinical application of this experimental therapy merits further investigation. ..
- Griffis E, Altan N, Lippincott Schwartz J, Powers M. Nup98 is a mobile nucleoporin with transcription-dependent dynamics. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1282-97 pubmed..These data give rise to a model in which Nup98 aids in direction of RNAs to the nuclear pore and provide the first potential mechanism for the role of a mobile nucleoporin. ..
- Dworkin M, Shoemaker P, Anderson D. Tick paralysis: 33 human cases in Washington State, 1946-1996. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:1435-9 pubmed..This large series of cases of tick paralysis demonstrates the predictable epidemiology of this disease. Improving health care provider awareness of tick paralysis could help limit morbidity and mortality due to this disease...
- Glass J, Nash N, Dry I, Culver D, Levey A, Wesselingh S. Cloning of m-calpain 80 kD subunit from the axonal degeneration-resistant WLD(S) mouse mutant. J Neurosci Res. 1998;52:653-60 pubmed..These data suggest that a defect in m-calpain 80 kD subunit does not likely underlie the WLD(S) phenotype, but raise questions about other subunits of calpain and possibly other proteases. ..
- Murray M, Gavile C, Nair J, Koorella C, Carlson L, Buac D, et al. CD28-mediated pro-survival signaling induces chemotherapeutic resistance in multiple myeloma. Blood. 2014;123:3770-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that CD28 is an important mediator of MM survival during stress and can be targeted to overcome chemotherapy resistance. ..
- Yu Q, Wang Y, Chang Q, Wang J, Gong S, Li H, et al. Virally expressed connexin26 restores gap junction function in the cochlea of conditional Gjb2 knockout mice. Gene Ther. 2014;21:71-80 pubmed publisher..Such a treatment performed at early postnatal stages resulted in a partial rescue of disease phenotypes in the cochlea of the mutant mice. ..
- Milan N, Kacsoh B, Schlenke T. Alcohol consumption as self-medication against blood-borne parasites in the fruit fly. Curr Biol. 2012;22:488-93 pubmed publisher..Although the high resistance of D. melanogaster may make it uniquely suited to exploit curative properties of alcohol, it is possible that alcohol consumption may have similar protective effects in other organisms. ..
- Go Y, Jones D. Cysteine/cystine redox signaling in cardiovascular disease. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;50:495-509 pubmed publisher..Plasma redox-state-based pharmacologic interventions to control or improve E(h)CySS may be effective in preventing CVD onset or progression...
- Ranjan P, Jayashankar L, Deyde V, Zeng H, Davis W, Pearce M, et al. 5'PPP-RNA induced RIG-I activation inhibits drug-resistant avian H5N1 as well as 1918 and 2009 pandemic influenza virus replication. Virol J. 2010;7:102 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that 5'PPP-RNA mediated activation of RIG-I can suppress replication of influenza viruses irrespective of their genetic make-up, pathogenicity, and drug-sensitivity status. ..
- Yang L, Mao H, Cao Z, Wang Y, Peng X, Wang X, et al. Molecular imaging of pancreatic cancer in an animal model using targeted multifunctional nanoparticles. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:1514-25.e2 pubmed publisher..This novel receptor-targeted nanoparticle is a potential molecular imaging agent for the detection of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Zhu G, Salazar G, Zlatic S, Fiza B, Doucette M, Heilman C, et al. SPE-39 family proteins interact with the HOPS complex and function in lysosomal delivery. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1223-40 pubmed publisher..elegans spermatogenesis is an experimental system useful for identifying conserved regulators of metazoan lysosomal biogenesis. ..
- Rekstin A, Isakova Sivak I, Petukhova G, Korenkov D, Losev I, Smolonogina T, et al. Immunogenicity and Cross Protection in Mice Afforded by Pandemic H1N1 Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine Containing Wild-Type Nucleoprotein. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9359276 pubmed publisher..Inclusion in LAIV of the NP gene from wild-type influenza virus is a new approach to inducing cross-reactive cell-mediated immune responses and cross protection against pandemic influenza. ..
- Green R, Stoler J. Alcohol dehydrogenase 1B genotype and fetal alcohol syndrome: a HuGE minireview. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;197:12-25 pubmed
- Chappell C, Beard C, Altman J, Jaenisch R, Jacob J. DNA methylation by DNA methyltransferase 1 is critical for effector CD8 T cell expansion. J Immunol. 2006;176:4562-72 pubmed..Our data suggest that ablation of Dnmt1 and subsequent DNA methylation affect the finite proliferative potential of Ag-specific CD8+ T cells with moderate effects on their differentiation to effector and memory CD8+ T cells. ..
- Lu Z, Zhang Y, Ku L, Wang H, Ahmadian A, Feng Y. The quakingviable mutation affects qkI mRNA expression specifically in myelin-producing cells of the nervous system. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:4616-24 pubmed..These observations suggest that diminished qkI expression results from deletion of an enhancer that promotes qkI transcription specifically in myelinating glia during active myelinogenesis...
- Govindarajan B, Klafter R, Miller M, Mansur C, Mizesko M, Bai X, et al. Reactive oxygen-induced carcinogenesis causes hypermethylation of p16(Ink4a) and activation of MAP kinase. Mol Med. 2002;8:1-8 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis of synergistic interactions between MAP kinase activation and p16 loss in carcinogenesis. ..
- Papale L, Beyer B, Jones J, Sharkey L, Tufik S, Epstein M, et al. Heterozygous mutations of the voltage-gated sodium channel SCN8A are associated with spike-wave discharges and absence epilepsy in mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:1633-41 pubmed publisher..The abnormal EEG patterns in heterozygous mutant mice and the influence of genetic background on SWD make SCN8A an attractive candidate gene for common human absence epilepsy, a genetically complex disorder. ..
- Rivera S, Wellehan J, McManamon R, Innis C, Garner M, Raphael B, et al. Systemic adenovirus infection in Sulawesi tortoises (Indotestudo forsteni) caused by a novel siadenovirus. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2009;21:415-26 pubmed
- Hoffman J, Kaplan J, Kinkead B, Berga S, Wilson M. Metabolic and reproductive consequences of the serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) in adult female rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta). Endocrine. 2007;31:202-11 pubmed
- Gao M, Skolnick J. A threading-based method for the prediction of DNA-binding proteins with application to the human genome. PLoS Comput Biol. 2009;5:e1000567 pubmed publisher..Finally, we present some interesting predictions in detail. In particular, it is estimated that approximately 20% of classic zinc finger domains play a functional role not related to direct DNA-binding. ..
- Schmidt M. Identification of putative neuroblasts at the base of adult neurogenesis in the olfactory midbrain of the spiny lobster, Panulirus argus. J Comp Neurol. 2007;503:64-84 pubmed
- Friday B, Mitchell P, Kegley K, Pavlath G. Calcineurin initiates skeletal muscle differentiation by activating MEF2 and MyoD. Differentiation. 2003;71:217-27 pubmed..These results demonstrate that calcineurin regulates skeletal muscle differentiation by activating MEF2 and MyoD transcription factors leading to the induction of myogenin expression. ..
- Kim D, Sands J, Klein J. Changes in renal medullary transport proteins during uncontrolled diabetes mellitus in rats. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;285:F303-9 pubmed..UT-B and ROMK were unchanged at any time point. The increases in UT-A1, AQP2, and NKCC2/BSC1 proteins during uncontrolled DM would tend to limit the loss of fluid and solute during uncontrolled diabetes. ..
- Kelly F, Reddy R, Roberts B, Gangappa S, Williams I, Gooch J. TGF-beta upregulation drives tertiary lymphoid organ formation and kidney dysfunction in calcineurin A-alpha heterozygous mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;296:F512-20 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that calcineurin inhibition itself may lead to TLO formation and that TGF-beta may be a novel therapeutic target. ..
- Katabarwa M, Lakwo T, Habomugisha P, Agunyo S, Byamukama E, Oguttu D, et al. Transmission of Onchocerca volvulus continues in Nyagak-Bondo focus of northwestern Uganda after 18 years of a single dose of annual treatment with ivermectin. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013;89:293-300 pubmed publisher..9% and 1.5%, respectively, whereas the infective rate on flies examination by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) was 1.92% and annual transmission potential was 26.9. Stopping ivermectin treatment may result in onchocerciasis recrudescence. ..
- Ko K, Wang B, Tai P, Derby C. Identification of potent bactericidal compounds produced by escapin, an L-amino acid oxidase in the ink of the sea hare Aplysia californica. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:4455-62 pubmed publisher..Our results favor the idea that the bactericidal activity is due to unstable intermediates of the reaction of alpha-keto-epsilon-aminocaproic acid with H2O2. ..
- Langford K, Shai S, Howard T, Kovac M, Overbeek P, Bernstein K. Transgenic mice demonstrate a testis-specific promoter for angiotensin-converting enzyme. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:15559-62 pubmed..Characterization of the testis ACE promoter may provide insights into the molecular mechanisms controlling cell stage-specific gene expression in the male germ line. ..
- Larsen C, Ritchie S, Pearson T, Linsley P, Lowry R. Functional expression of the costimulatory molecule, B7/BB1, on murine dendritic cell populations. J Exp Med. 1992;176:1215-20 pubmed..These data demonstrate that the regulated expression of B7/BB1 on DC may be important in the initiation of a primary T cell response. ..
- Sun P, Barmaz D, Cabrera M, Pavlostathis S, Huang C. Detection and quantification of ionophore antibiotics in runoff, soil and poultry litter. J Chromatogr A. 2013;1312:10-7 pubmed publisher..Up to 183?g/kg of MON was detected in litter-fertilized soils. All three IPAs were detected in the rainfall runoff from litter-fertilized lands at concentrations up to 9?g/L. ..
- Demma L, Traeger M, Nicholson W, Paddock C, Blau D, Eremeeva M, et al. Rocky Mountain spotted fever from an unexpected tick vector in Arizona. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:587-94 pubmed..This disease is rarely reported in Arizona, and the principal vectors, Dermacentor species ticks, are uncommon in the state. From 2002 through 2004, a focus of Rocky Mountain spotted fever was investigated in rural eastern Arizona...
- Brown H, Gangadharan B, Doering C. Enhanced biosynthesis of coagulation factor VIII through diminished engagement of the unfolded protein response. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:24451-7 pubmed publisher..The current data support the model of differential engagement of UPR by human and porcine fVIII as a non-traditional mechanism for regulation of gene product biosynthesis. ..
- Elango N, Yi S. Functional relevance of CpG island length for regulation of gene expression. Genetics. 2011;187:1077-83 pubmed publisher..By investigating consequences of certain CpG island traits, we can gain additional insights into the mechanism and evolution of regulatory complexity of gene expression. ..
- Miriyala S, Gongora Nieto M, Mingone C, Smith D, Dikalov S, Harrison D, et al. Bone morphogenic protein-4 induces hypertension in mice: role of noggin, vascular NADPH oxidases, and impaired vasorelaxation. Circulation. 2006;113:2818-25 pubmed..We suggest that BMP4 is a novel mediator of endothelial dysfunction and hypertension and that noggin and its analogs could be used as therapeutic agents for treating vascular diseases. ..
- Levy M, Bowman N, Kawai V, Waller L, Cornejo del Carpio J, Cordova Benzaquen E, et al. Periurban Trypanosoma cruzi-infected Triatoma infestans, Arequipa, Peru. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1345-52 pubmed..cruzi-infected triatomines were clustered. Keeping small animals in wire mesh cages could facilitate control of T. infestans in this densely populated urban environment. ..
- Visvesvara G, Moura H, Leitch G, Schwartz D, Xiao L. Public health importance of Brachiola algerae (Microsporidia)--an emerging pathogen of humans. Folia Parasitol (Praha). 2005;52:83-94 pubmed..These observations indicate that the spores have potential to be a risk factor for humans, especially those with immunodeficiency...
- Farmer J, Gangarosa R, Gangarosa E. Does Laribacter hongkongensis cause diarrhoea, or does diarrhoea "cause" L hongkongensis?. Lancet. 2004;363:1923-4 pubmed
- Borges K, Myers S, Zhang S, Dingledine R. Activity of the rat GluR4 promoter in transfected cortical neurons and glia. J Neurochem. 2003;86:1162-73 pubmed..The relative activity of GluR4 and GluR2 promoters in transfected cells correlates with their expression in brain, and in both promoters regulatory elements for neuronal expression reside near the initiation sites. ..
- Abd T, Jacobson T. Statin-induced myopathy: a review and update. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2011;10:373-87 pubmed publisher..Observational studies estimate that 10 - 15% of statin users develop statin-related muscle side effects ranging from mild myalgia to more severe muscle symptoms with significant CPK elevations...
- Perelygina L, Zurkuhlen H, Patrusheva I, Hilliard J. Identification of a herpes B virus-specific glycoprotein d immunodominant epitope recognized by natural and foreign hosts. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:453-61 pubmed..Antibodies against HSV types 1 or 2 did not react with this epitope; thus, gD (362-370) has unique potential to detect B virus-specific antibody responses in human serum, even in the presence of antibodies to HSV-1 and HSV-2...
- Radu G, Caidi H, Miao C, Tripp R, Anderson L, Haynes L. Prophylactic treatment with a G glycoprotein monoclonal antibody reduces pulmonary inflammation in respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)-challenged naive and formalin-inactivated RSV-immunized BALB/c mice. J Virol. 2010;84:9632-6 pubmed publisher..It is possible that antibodies with similar reactivities might prevent enhanced disease and improve the safety of nonlive virus vaccines. ..
- Martin Garrido A, González Ramos M, Griera M, Guijarro B, Cannata Andia J, Rodriguez Puyol D, et al. H2O2 regulation of vascular function through sGC mRNA stabilization by HuR. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:567-73 pubmed publisher..Our results identify H(2)O(2) as an endogenous mediator contributing to the regulation of vascular tone and point to a key role of HuR in sGC?1 mRNA stabilization. ..
- Ghaleb A, Aggarwal G, Bialkowska A, Nandan M, Yang V. Notch inhibits expression of the Krüppel-like factor 4 tumor suppressor in the intestinal epithelium. Mol Cancer Res. 2008;6:1920-7 pubmed publisher..KLF4 is therefore a potential mediator for the antitumor effect of Notch inhibitors such as dibenzazepine. ..