Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Locale: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Publications700 found, 100 shown here
- Matesic D, Abifadel D, Garcia E, Jann M. Effect of thioridazine on gap junction intercellular communication in connexin 43-expressing cells. Cell Biol Toxicol. 2006;22:257-68 pubmed
- Klein J, Murrell B, Tucker S, Kim Y, Sands J. Urea transporter UT-A1 and aquaporin-2 proteins decrease in response to angiotensin II or norepinephrine-induced acute hypertension. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;291:F952-9 pubmed
- Scherbik S, Kluetzman K, Perelygin A, Brinton M. Knock-in of the Oas1b(r) allele into a flavivirus-induced disease susceptible mouse generates the resistant phenotype. Virology. 2007;368:232-7 pubmed..Knock-in of the Oas1b resistance allele into a susceptible mouse strain produced mice with the flavivirus resistance phenotype, confirming that this phenotype is mediated by a single gene. ..
- Loyd D, Murphy A. The role of the periaqueductal gray in the modulation of pain in males and females: are the anatomy and physiology really that different?. Neural Plast. 2009;2009:462879 pubmed publisher..This manuscript will review our anatomical, physiological, and behavioral data identifying sex differences in the PAG-RVM pathway, focusing on its role in pain modulation and morphine analgesia. ..
- Gonzalez Perez R, Xu Y, Guo S, Watters A, Zhou W, Leibovich S. Leptin upregulates VEGF in breast cancer via canonic and non-canonical signalling pathways and NFkappaB/HIF-1alpha activation. Cell Signal. 2010;22:1350-62 pubmed publisher..These results delineate a comprehensive mechanism for leptin regulation of VEGF in MT. Disruption of leptin signalling could be used as a novel way to treat breast cancer. ..
- Lane J. Remaining questions about clinical variola major. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:676-80 pubmed publisher..Finally, political and ethical forces suggest that destruction of the remaining stocks of live smallpox virus is now appropriate. ..
- Templer V, Hampton R. Rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) show robust evidence for memory awareness across multiple generalization tests. Anim Cogn. 2012;15:409-19 pubmed publisher..Bidirectional generalization indicates that use of the decline response by monkeys is not controlled by specific external stimuli but is rather a flexible behavior based on a private assessment of memory. ..
- McGrail D, Ghosh D, Quach N, Dawson M. Differential mechanical response of mesenchymal stem cells and fibroblasts to tumor-secreted soluble factors. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33248 pubmed publisher..Quantitative real-time PCR indicates these phenomena occur based on differential expression of small GTPases RhoA and Cdc42, but not Rac1. These findings demonstrate a fundamental difference in the recruitment of fibroblasts and MSCs...
- Ilori T, Blount M, Martin C, Sands J, Klein J. Urine concentration in the diabetic mouse requires both urea and water transporters. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013;304:F103-11 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, UT-A1 may be maximally membrane associated in diabetic rat inner medulla, making additional stimulation by vasopressin ineffective. ..
- Spiropoulou C, Srikiatkhachorn A. The role of endothelial activation in dengue hemorrhagic fever and hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Virulence. 2013;4:525-36 pubmed publisher..Understanding the dynamics between viral infection and the dysregulation of the endothelial cell barrier will help us to define potential therapeutic targets for reducing disease severity. ..
- Zhang Y, Liu Y, Walsh M, Bokov A, Ikeno Y, Jang Y, et al. Liver specific expression of Cu/ZnSOD extends the lifespan of Sod1 null mice. Mech Ageing Dev. 2016;154:1-8 pubmed publisher..The expression of hSOD1 in the liver of Sod1(-/-) mice significantly improved the lifespan of Sod1(-/-) mice; however, the lifespan of the Sod1(-/-)/hSOD1(alb) mice was still significantly shorter than wild type mice. ..
- Kamal R, Blanchfield K, Belser J, Music N, Tzeng W, Holiday C, et al. Inactivated H7 Influenza Virus Vaccines Protect Mice despite Inducing Only Low Levels of Neutralizing Antibodies. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Vaccines against H7 avian influenza viruses may be more effective than HI and virus neutralization assays suggest, and such vaccines may need other methods for evaluation. ..
- Sokoloff A. Localization and contractile properties of intrinsic longitudinal motor units of the rat tongue. J Neurophysiol. 2000;84:827-35 pubmed..Localization of MU territory suggests a role for intrinsic MU in the regional control of the mammalian tongue observed during feeding and speech...
- Parikh C, Sippy B, Martin D, Edelhauser H. Effects of enzymatic sterilization detergents on the corneal endothelium. Arch Ophthalmol. 2002;120:165-72 pubmed..To evaluate the potential of enzymatic detergents to cause endothelial damage and anterior segment inflammation...
- Wu P, Qiu C, Sohail A, Zhang X, Bhagwat A, Cheng X. Mismatch repair in methylated DNA. Structure and activity of the mismatch-specific thymine glycosylase domain of methyl-CpG-binding protein MBD4. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:5285-91 pubmed..Modeling studies suggest the mismatched target nucleotide will be flipped out into the active site where candidate residues for catalysis and substrate specificity are present. ..
- Igietseme J, Eko F, Black C. Contemporary approaches to designing and evaluating vaccines against Chlamydia. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2003;2:129-46 pubmed
- Heneine W, Schweizer M, Sandstrom P, Folks T. Human infection with foamy viruses. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2003;277:181-96 pubmed..Additional studies are needed to better define the prevalence and natural history of SFV in humans. ..
- Schaner C, Deshpande G, Schedl P, Kelly W. A conserved chromatin architecture marks and maintains the restricted germ cell lineage in worms and flies. Dev Cell. 2003;5:747-57 pubmed..These results indicate that genome-wide repression via a nanos-regulated, germ cell-specific chromatin organization is a conserved feature of germline maintenance during embryogenesis. ..
- Bernstein L, Ramineni S, Hague C, Cladman W, Chidiac P, Levey A, et al. RGS2 binds directly and selectively to the M1 muscarinic acetylcholine receptor third intracellular loop to modulate Gq/11alpha signaling. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:21248-56 pubmed
- Hsieh C, Xie Z, Yu J, Martin W, Datta M, Wu G, et al. Non-invasive bioluminescent detection of prostate cancer growth and metastasis in a bigenic transgenic mouse model. Prostate. 2007;67:685-91 pubmed..A direct correlation between bioluminescence emission and AR expression was found in TRAMP-Luc tumor progression model. This model allows non-invasive imaging of prostate cancer metastases to bone and soft tissues. ..
- Hamby K, Trexler A, Pearson T, Larsen C, Rigby M, Kean L. NK cells rapidly reject allogeneic bone marrow in the spleen through a perforin- and Ly49D-dependent, but NKG2D-independent mechanism. Am J Transplant. 2007;7:1884-96 pubmed
- Shashidharamurthy R, Hennigar R, Fuchs S, Palaniswami P, Sherman M, Selvaraj P. Extravasations and emigration of neutrophils to the inflammatory site depend on the interaction of immune-complex with Fcgamma receptors and can be effectively blocked by decoy Fcgamma receptors. Blood. 2008;111:894-904 pubmed
- Jackson C, Chaurasia S, Zhou H, Haque R, Storm D, Iuvone P. Essential roles of dopamine D4 receptors and the type 1 adenylyl cyclase in photic control of cyclic AMP in photoreceptor cells. J Neurochem. 2009;109:148-57 pubmed publisher..These observations illustrate a novel mechanism for cross-talk between dopamine and photic signaling pathways regulating cyclic AMP in photoreceptor cells. ..
- Whitney E, Massung R, Candee A, Ailes E, Myers L, Patterson N, et al. Seroepidemiologic and occupational risk survey for Coxiella burnetii antibodies among US veterinarians. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:550-7 pubmed publisher..burnetii. Physicians should consider the risk of infection with C. burnetii when treating ill veterinarians and others with potential occupational exposures. ..
- Song X, Lasanajak Y, Xia B, Heimburg Molinaro J, Rhea J, Ju H, et al. Shotgun glycomics: a microarray strategy for functional glycomics. Nat Methods. 2011;8:85-90 pubmed publisher..Shotgun glycomics incorporating GSLs and potentially glycoprotein-derived glycans is an approach for accessing the complex glycomes of animal cells and is a strategy for focusing structural analyses on functionally important glycans. ..
- Vellano C, Shu F, Ramineni S, Yates C, Tall G, Hepler J. Activation of the regulator of G protein signaling 14-G?i1-GDP signaling complex is regulated by resistance to inhibitors of cholinesterase-8A. Biochemistry. 2011;50:752-62 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that RGS14 is a newly appreciated integrator of unconventional Ric-8A and G?i1 signaling. ..
- Symolon H, Bushnev A, Peng Q, Ramaraju H, Mays S, Allegood J, et al. Enigmol: a novel sphingolipid analogue with anticancer activity against cancer cell lines and in vivo models for intestinal and prostate cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011;10:648-57 pubmed publisher..Thus, Enigmol represents a novel category of sphingoid base analogue that is orally bioavailable and has the potential to be effective against multiple types of cancer. ..
- Keebaugh A, Mitchell H, Gaval Cruz M, Freeman K, Edwards G, Weinshenker D, et al. PRTFDC1 is a genetic modifier of HPRT-deficiency in the mouse. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22381 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that PRTFDC1 is a genetic modifier of HPRT-deficiency in the mouse and could therefore have important implications for unraveling the molecular etiology of LND. ..
- Iyer S, Chatraw J, Tan W, Wherry E, Becker T, Ahmed R, et al. Protein energy malnutrition impairs homeostatic proliferation of memory CD8 T cells. J Immunol. 2012;188:77-84 pubmed publisher..The findings show a metabolic requirement of dietary protein in sustaining functional CD8 memory and suggest that interventions to optimize dietary protein intake may improve vaccine efficacy in malnourished individuals. ..
- Kvist T, Greenwood J, Hansen K, Traynelis S, Brauner Osborne H. Structure-based discovery of antagonists for GluN3-containing N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors. Neuropharmacology. 2013;75:324-36 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that structural differences between the orthosteric binding site of GluN3 and GluN1 can be exploited to generate selective ligands. ..
- Jones J, Parise M, Fiore A. Neglected parasitic infections in the United States: toxoplasmosis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2014;90:794-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, screening and treatment may help prevent toxoplasmosis or reduce the severity of disease in some settings. ..
- Yang P, Leu D, Ye K, Srinivasan C, Fike J, Huang T. Cognitive impairments following cranial irradiation can be mitigated by treatment with a tropomyosin receptor kinase B agonist. Exp Neurol. 2016;279:178-186 pubmed publisher..This is achieved most likely by preservation of hippocampal neurogenesis and synaptic plasticity. ..
- Li R, Ding C, Zhang J, Xie M, Park D, Ding Y, et al. Modulation of Bax and mTOR for Cancer Therapeutics. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3001-3012 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(11); 3001-12. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Branch M, Hepler J. Endogenous RGS14 is a cytoplasmic-nuclear shuttling protein that localizes to juxtanuclear membranes and chromatin-rich regions of the nucleus. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184497 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the findings highlight possible cellular roles for RGS14 not previously recognized that are distinct from the regulation of conventional GPCR-G protein signaling, in particular undefined roles for RGS14 in the nucleus. ..
- Rothenberg M, Eilertson C, Klein K, Zhou Y, Lindberg I, McDonald J, et al. Processing of mouse proglucagon by recombinant prohormone convertase 1 and immunopurified prohormone convertase 2 in vitro. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:10136-46 pubmed..Neither PC1 nor PC2 processed glucagon from proglucagon in vitro. These results suggest a potential role for PC1 and/or PC2 in cleaving several of the normal products, excluding glucagon, from the mouse proglucagon precursor. ..
- Moser J, Altman J, Lukacher A. Antiviral CD8+ T cell responses in neonatal mice: susceptibility to polyoma virus-induced tumors is associated with lack of cytotoxic function by viral antigen-specific T cells. J Exp Med. 2001;193:595-606 pubmed..These findings indicate that polyoma-specific CD8(+) T cells are armed with, but restrained from deploying, their cytotoxic effector function in mice susceptible to polyoma virus tumorigenesis. ..
- Compton M, Miller A. Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia and sexual dysfunction. Psychopharmacol Bull. 2002;36:143-64 pubmed..Because hyperprolactinemia may cause clinically significant side effects in patients treated with antipsychotic medications, clinicians should be familiar with the evaluation and treatment of antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia. ..
- Shuler R, Gross E, He W, Liou G, Nickerson J. Sequence analysis of the mouse IRBP gene and cDNA. Curr Eye Res. 2002;24:354-67 pubmed..Low levels of aberrant IRBP mRNA in the knockout mouse are consistent with no immunologically detectable Repeat 4 protein in this mouse. ..
- Alston D, Tandler B, Gentles B, Smith E. Testicular histopathology in deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) following exposure to polychlorinated biphenyl. Chemosphere. 2003;52:283-5 pubmed
- Magid R, Murphy T, Galis Z. Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in endothelial cells is differentially regulated by shear stress. Role of c-Myc. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:32994-9 pubmed..This effect may contribute to the development and progression of atherosclerotic lesions in areas of vasculature that are subject to disturbed flow. ..
- Wang X, Li Y, Engisch K, Nakanishi S, Dodson S, Miller G, et al. Activity-dependent presynaptic regulation of quantal size at the mammalian neuromuscular junction in vivo. J Neurosci. 2005;25:343-51 pubmed..We propose that presynaptic activity modulates quantal size at the neuromuscular junction by modulating the amount of acetylcholine released from vesicles. ..
- Tzeng W, Zhou Y, Icenogle J, Frey T. Novel replicon-based reporter gene assay for detection of rubella virus in clinical specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:879-85 pubmed..It was also possible to genetically sequence the RUB present in positive clinical specimens detected in the assay for genotypic strain determination...
- Shi H, Bartness T. White adipose tissue sensory nerve denervation mimics lipectomy-induced compensatory increases in adiposity. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005;289:R514-R520 pubmed..Collectively, these data suggest the possibility that information related to peripheral lipid stores may be conveyed to the brain via the sensory innervation of WAT. ..
- Querec T, Bennouna S, Alkan S, Laouar Y, Gorden K, Flavell R, et al. Yellow fever vaccine YF-17D activates multiple dendritic cell subsets via TLR2, 7, 8, and 9 to stimulate polyvalent immunity. J Exp Med. 2006;203:413-24 pubmed
- Narayanan U, Nalavadi V, Nakamoto M, Pallas D, Ceman S, Bassell G, et al. FMRP phosphorylation reveals an immediate-early signaling pathway triggered by group I mGluR and mediated by PP2A. J Neurosci. 2007;27:14349-57 pubmed..Collectively, these data reveal an immediate-early signaling pathway linking group I mGluR activity to rapid FMRP phosphorylation dynamics mediated by mTOR and PP2A. ..
- Martin M, Dutt K, Papale L, Dubé C, Dutton S, De Haan G, et al. Altered function of the SCN1A voltage-gated sodium channel leads to gamma-aminobutyric acid-ergic (GABAergic) interneuron abnormalities. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:9823-34 pubmed publisher..Decreased inhibition may be a common mechanism underlying clinically distinct SCN1A-derived disorders. ..
- Burkepile D, Hay M. Impact of herbivore identity on algal succession and coral growth on a Caribbean reef. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8963 pubmed publisher..The species-specific effects of herbivorous fishes suggest that a species-rich herbivore fauna can be critical in providing the resilience that reefs need for recovery from common disturbances such as coral bleaching and storm damage. ..
- Felger J, Lotrich F. Inflammatory cytokines in depression: neurobiological mechanisms and therapeutic implications. Neuroscience. 2013;246:199-229 pubmed publisher..Additionally, potential therapeutic strategies that target inflammatory cytokine signaling or the consequences of cytokines on neurotransmitter systems in the brain to prevent or reverse cytokine effects on behavior are discussed. ..
- Koziel J, Bryzek D, Sroka A, Maresz K, Glowczyk I, Bielecka E, et al. Citrullination alters immunomodulatory function of LL-37 essential for prevention of endotoxin-induced sepsis. J Immunol. 2014;192:5363-72 pubmed publisher..Because LL-37 is a potential treatment for sepsis, its administration should be preceded by a careful analysis to ensure that the citrullinated peptide is not generated in treated patients. ..
- Chiba A, Zhou J, Nakajima M, Tan J, Tagami J, Scheffel D, et al. The effects of ethanol on the size-exclusion characteristics of type I dentin collagen to adhesive resin monomers. Acta Biomater. 2016;33:235-41 pubmed publisher..Resin infiltration, in this view, would be limited to extrafibrillar spaces. Our work suggests that monomers equilibrate with collagen water in both water and ethanol-saturated dentin matrices. ..
- Jinnohara T, Kanaya T, Hase K, Sakakibara S, Kato T, Tachibana N, et al. IL-22BP dictates characteristics of Peyer's patch follicle-associated epithelium for antigen uptake. J Exp Med. 2017;214:1607-1618 pubmed publisher..Our present study thus demonstrates that IL-22BP promotes bacterial uptake into PPs by influencing FAE gene expression and function. ..
- Brandt F, Eberhard M. Distribution, behavior, and course of patency of Dracunculus insignis in experimentally infected ferrets. J Parasitol. 1990;76:515-8 pubmed..Furthermore, male worms have been observed to survive for up to 330 days, suggesting that male or unmated female worms may carry over from one transmission season to the next. ..
- Kirma N, Gill K, Mandava U, Tekmal R. Overexpression of aromatase leads to hyperplasia and changes in the expression of genes involved in apoptosis, cell cycle, growth, and tumor suppressor functions in the mammary glands of transgenic mice. Cancer Res. 2001;61:1910-8 pubmed..This study presents novel and interesting findings that are consistent with the current models of aromatase influence and the complex interactions of biochemical pathways leading to mammary tumorigenesis. ..
- Demas G, Bartness T. Novel method for localized, functional sympathetic nervous system denervation of peripheral tissue using guanethidine. J Neurosci Methods. 2001;112:21-8 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that locally applied, chemical sympathectomy with guanethidine provides an effective, restricted method for sympathectomizing WAT, spleen and likely other peripheral tissues. ..
- Taylor R, Lugering A, Newell K, Williams I. Intestinal cryptopatch formation in mice requires lymphotoxin alpha and the lymphotoxin beta receptor. J Immunol. 2004;173:7183-9 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that interactions between cells expressing LTalpha(1)beta(2) and LTbetaR are a shared feature in the development of all small intestinal lymphoid aggregates. ..
- Krebs J, Mandel E, Swerdlow D, Rupprecht C. Rabies surveillance in the United States during 2003. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004;225:1837-49 pubmed..The California and Puerto Rico cases were the result of infections with bat and dog/mongoose rabies virus variants, respectively, and each patient had a history of a bite. ..
- Matesic D, Villio K, Folse S, Garcia E, Cutler S, Cutler H. Inhibition of cytokinesis and akt phosphorylation by chaetoglobosin K in ras-transformed epithelial cells. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2006;57:741-54 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that ChK inhibits Akt kinase phosphorylation and cytokinesis in ras-transformed cells, which likely contribute to its ability to inhibit tumorigenic growth. ..
- Newell Litwa K, Seong E, Burmeister M, Faundez V. Neuronal and non-neuronal functions of the AP-3 sorting machinery. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:531-41 pubmed
- Li Y, Lin L, Jin P. The microRNA pathway and fragile X mental retardation protein. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1779:702-5 pubmed publisher..In addition, we go on to discuss how the miRNA pathway may be involved in mental retardation. ..
- Wolf T, Sreevatsan S, Singer R, Lipende I, Collins A, Gillespie T, et al. Noninvasive Tuberculosis Screening in Free-Living Primate Populations in Gombe National Park, Tanzania. Ecohealth. 2016;13:139-44 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the feasibility of large-scale mycobacterial screening in wild primates. ..
- Conley A, Piriyapongsa J, Jordan I. Retroviral promoters in the human genome. Bioinformatics. 2008;24:1563-7 pubmed publisher..These data illustrate the potential of retroviral sequences to regulate human transcription on a large scale consistent with a substantial effect of ERVs on the function and evolution of the human genome. ..
- Demas A, Oberstaller J, Debarry J, Lucchi N, Srinivasamoorthy G, Sumari D, et al. Applied genomics: data mining reveals species-specific malaria diagnostic targets more sensitive than 18S rRNA. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:2411-8 pubmed publisher..These novel targets provide a powerful alternative molecular diagnostic method for the detection of P. falciparum and P. vivax in conventional or multiplex PCR platforms. ..
- Gunter Smith P, Abdulkadir O, Hammonds Odie L, Scanlon M, Terrell R. A primary culture of guinea pig gallbladder epithelial cells that is responsive to secretagogues. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2000;279:G866-74 pubmed..Thus cultured guinea pig gallbladder epithelia display the range of responses observed in the native tissue and are an appropriate model for studies of ion transport in gallbladder and intestinal epithelia...
- Suresh M, Whitmire J, Harrington L, Larsen C, Pearson T, Altman J, et al. Role of CD28-B7 interactions in generation and maintenance of CD8 T cell memory. J Immunol. 2001;167:5565-73 pubmed..Therefore, CD28 signaling is not necessary for the proliferative renewal and maintenance of memory CD8 T cells. ..
- Edmondson D, Binda C, Mattevi A. The FAD binding sites of human monoamine oxidases A and B. Neurotoxicology. 2004;25:63-72 pubmed..This structural information is then used to explain previous studies on flavin analog incorporation into either MAO B or into MAO A. ..
- Kim S, Lessner S, Sakurai Y, Galis Z. Cyclophilin A as a novel biphasic mediator of endothelial activation and dysfunction. Am J Pathol. 2004;164:1567-74 pubmed..Our results suggest that CyPA is a novel paracrine and autocrine modulator of EC functions in immune-mediated vascular disease. ..
- Boyd N, Park H, Sun W, Coleman S, Cherukuri R, Jo H. Bovine caveolin-2 cloning and effects of shear stress on its localization in bovine aortic endothelial cells. Endothelium. 2004;11:189-98 pubmed..Therefore, the interaction of caveolin-2 with caveolin-1 could play an important role in caveolae biogenesis and shear stimulated mechano-signal transduction. ..
- Dunham R, Pagliardini P, Gordon S, Sumpter B, Engram J, Moanna A, et al. The AIDS resistance of naturally SIV-infected sooty mangabeys is independent of cellular immunity to the virus. Blood. 2006;108:209-17 pubmed..These findings indicate that the absence of AIDS in naturally SIV-infected sooty mangabeys is independent of a strong cellular immune response to the virus. ..
- Richardson J, Caudle W, Wang M, Dean E, Pennell K, Miller G. Developmental exposure to the pesticide dieldrin alters the dopamine system and increases neurotoxicity in an animal model of Parkinson's disease. FASEB J. 2006;20:1695-7 pubmed
- Li S, Mark S, Radde Gallwitz K, Schlisner R, Chin M, Chen P. Hey2 functions in parallel with Hes1 and Hes5 for mammalian auditory sensory organ development. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:20 pubmed publisher..Our data implicates expansion of the progenitor pool and/or the boundaries of the developing sensory organ to account for patterning defects observed in Hey2 mutants. ..
- Hall A, Cassiday P, Bernard K, Bolt F, Steigerwalt A, Bixler D, et al. Novel Corynebacterium diphtheriae in domestic cats. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:688-91 pubmed publisher..Molecular methods distinguished the feline isolates from known C. diphtheriae...
- Keebaugh A, Young L. Increasing oxytocin receptor expression in the nucleus accumbens of pre-pubertal female prairie voles enhances alloparental responsiveness and partner preference formation as adults. Horm Behav. 2011;60:498-504 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that oxytocin can have both long-term "organizational" effects as well as acute "activational" effects on affiliative behaviors. ..
- Kliem M, Heeke B, Franz C, Radovitskiy I, Raore B, BARROW E, et al. Intramuscular administration of a VEGF zinc finger transcription factor activator (VEGF-ZFP-TF) improves functional outcomes in SOD1 rats. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2011;12:331-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that administration of the VEGF-ZFP-TF may be neuroprotective and has potential as a safe and practical approach for the management of motor disability in ALS. ..
- Koutsonanos D, Vassilieva E, Stavropoulou A, Zarnitsyn V, Esser E, Taherbhai M, et al. Delivery of subunit influenza vaccine to skin with microneedles improves immunogenicity and long-lived protection. Sci Rep. 2012;2:357 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the promising potential of microneedle delivery of licensed influenza subunit vaccines, that could be beneficial in increasing vaccine coverage and protection and reducing influenza-related mortality worldwide. ..
- Stephenson J, Paavola K, Schaefer S, Kaur B, Van Meir E, Hall R. Brain-specific angiogenesis inhibitor-1 signaling, regulation, and enrichment in the postsynaptic density. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:22248-56 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that BAI1 is a synaptic receptor that can activate both the Rho and ERK pathways, with the N-terminal and C-terminal regions of the receptor playing key roles in the regulation of BAI1 signaling activity. ..
- Hashimoto H, Pais J, Zhang X, Saleh L, Fu Z, Dai N, et al. Structure of a Naegleria Tet-like dioxygenase in complex with 5-methylcytosine DNA. Nature. 2014;506:391-5 pubmed publisher..The sequence conservation between NgTet1 and mammalian Tet1, including residues involved in structural integrity and functional significance, suggests structural conservation across phyla...
- Wakeman B, Johnson L, Paden C, Gray K, Virgin H, Speck S. Identification of alternative transcripts encoding the essential murine gammaherpesvirus lytic transactivator RTA. J Virol. 2014;88:5474-90 pubmed publisher..Understanding how expression of this essential viral gene product is regulated may identify new strategies for interfering with infection in the setting of gammaherpesvirus-induced diseases. ..
- Forger N, Strahan J, Castillo Ruiz A. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of sexual differentiation in the mammalian nervous system. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2016;40:67-86 pubmed publisher..We end by pointing to future directions, including an increased awareness of the important contributions of tissues outside of the nervous system to sexual differentiation of the brain. ..