Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Messina, Sicily, Italy
Locale: Messina, Sicily, Italy
- Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. Palmitoylethanolamide in homeostatic and traumatic central nervous system injuries. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2013;12:55-61 pubmed..The diverse signaling mechanisms are also summarized...
- Gagliano E, Barbuscia M, Tonante A, Taranto F, Paparo D, Papalia E, et al. Pancreatic pseudocyst: case report and short literature review. G Chir. 2012;33:415-9 pubmed
- Dongarrà M, Rizzello V, Muccio L, Fries W, Cascio A, Bonaccorsi I, et al. Mucosal immunology and probiotics. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2013;13:19-26 pubmed publisher..We also highlight our own experiences in modulating DC functions by commensal bacteria and discuss the relevance of probiotics administration in the treatment of human immunopathologies. ..
- Lacquaniti A, Donato V, Chirico V, Pettinato G, Buemi M. From chronic kidney disease to transplantation: the roles of obestatin. Regul Pept. 2011;171:48-52 pubmed publisher..55; p=0.0005) and for BMI (?=-0.53; p=0.01). Obestatin, present in lower levels in Tx patients than in CKD patients and HS, plays a role in energy metabolism, affecting BMI and the metabolism of calcium-phosphorus. ..
- Abbate C, Giorgianni C, D Arrigo D, Brecciaroli R. [Evaluation of direct occupational ocular trauma using electrophysiological techniques]. G Ital Med Lav Ergon. 2005;27:154-6 pubmed
- Montalto E, Mangraviti S, Costa G, Carrega P, Morandi B, Pezzino G, et al. Seroma fluid subsequent to axillary lymph node dissection for breast cancer derives from an accumulation of afferent lymph. Immunol Lett. 2010;131:67-72 pubmed publisher..Therefore, seroma fluid represents a font of biological material suitable for investigating the biology of breast cancer, healing tissues and lymph...
- Mamì C, Paolata A, Palmara A, Marrone T, Berte L, Marseglia L, et al. Outcome and management of isolated moderate renal pelvis dilatation detected at postnatal screening. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009;24:2005-8 pubmed publisher..A non-invasive ultrasound scan performed during the follow-up is sufficient to diagnose a potentially dangerous and persistent RPD. ..
- Mancuso A, Giacobbe A, de Vivo A, Fanara G, Cocivera G. Prenatal identification of isolated bilateral radial dysplasia. J Clin Ultrasound. 2009;37:175-8 pubmed publisher..The intrauterine 2- and 3-dimensional findings, postnatal radiographic evaluation, and autopsy results are reported...
- Venza I, Visalli M, Tripodo B, Lentini M, Teti D, Venza M. Investigation into FOXE1 genetic variations in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Br J Dermatol. 2010;162:681-3 pubmed publisher..These results imply that another tumour suppressor gene at this locus may be more important than FOXE1 in skin carcinogenesis and suggest that variation in the FOXE1 polyalanine tract length predisposes to cutaneous SCC. ..
- Kondili L, Gaeta G, Brunetto M, Di Leo A, Iannone A, Santantonio T, et al. Incidence of DAA failure and the clinical impact of retreatment in real-life patients treated in the advanced stage of liver disease: Interim evaluations from the PITER network. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185728 pubmed publisher..Few data are available on the virological and clinical outcomes of advanced liver disease patients retreated after first-line DAA failure...
- Pagano L, Caira M, Tumbarello M, Fanci R, Garzia M, Vianelli N, et al. A prospective survey of febrile events in hematological malignancies. Ann Hematol. 2012;91:767-774 pubmed publisher..The Hema e-Chart provided a complete system for the epidemiological study of infectious complications in HMs...
- Ferlazzo G, MUNZ C. Dendritic cell interactions with NK cells from different tissues. J Clin Immunol. 2009;29:265-73 pubmed publisher..We suggest that this cross-talk should be harnessed by activating both of these innate leucocyte populations with new adjuvant formulations for immunotherapies. ..
- Ruggeri R, Villari D, Simone A, Scarfi R, Attard M, Orlandi F, et al. Co-expression of interleukin-6 (IL-6) and interleukin-6 receptor (IL-6R) in thyroid nodules is associated with co-expression of CD30 ligand/CD30 receptor. J Endocrinol Invest. 2002;25:959-66 pubmed..In the normal thyroid tissue, colloid nodules, and another subset of benign and malignant thyroid nodules, IL-6 expression is under control of signals other than CD30L/CD30. ..
- Sciortino M, Perri D, Medici M, Grelli S, Serafino A, Borner C, et al. Role of Bcl-2 expression for productive herpes simplex virus 2 replication. Virology. 2006;356:136-46 pubmed..Overall, our data indicate that Bcl-2 expression acts as a regulator of HSV-2 replication. ..
- Marini H, Minutoli L, Polito F, Bitto A, Altavilla D, Atteritano M, et al. Effects of the phytoestrogen genistein on bone metabolism in osteopenic postmenopausal women: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2007;146:839-47 pubmed..Observational studies and small trials of short duration suggest that the isoflavone phytoestrogen genistein reduces bone loss, but the evidence is not definitive...
- Ruggeri R, Vitarelli E, Barresi G, Trimarchi F, Benvenga S, Trovato M. The tyrosine kinase receptor c-met, its cognate ligand HGF and the tyrosine kinase receptor trasducers STAT3, PI3K and RHO in thyroid nodules associated with Hashimoto's thyroiditis: an immunohistochemical characterization. Eur J Histochem. 2010;54:e24 pubmed..Finally, the expression of such molecules in HT may be regulated by lymphoid infiltrate. ..
- Arena A, Barbatano E, Gammeri E, Bruno M, Riva G. Specific immunotherapy [correction of immunotheraphy] of allergic diseases: a three years perspective observational study. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2003;16:277-82 pubmed
- Scordo M, Caputi A, D Arrigo C, Fava G, Spina E. Allele and genotype frequencies of CYP2C9, CYP2C19 and CYP2D6 in an Italian population. Pharmacol Res. 2004;50:195-200 pubmed..Conversely, the prevalence of CYP2D6 gene duplication among Italians resulted very high, confirming the higher frequency of CYP2D6 UM in the Mediterranean area compared to Northern Europe. ..
- Trifiro G, Morabito P, Cavagna L, Ferrajolo C, Pecchioli S, Simonetti M, et al. Epidemiology of gout and hyperuricaemia in Italy during the years 2005-2009: a nationwide population-based study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:694-700 pubmed publisher..To assess the epidemiology of gout and hyperuricaemia in the Italian general population during the years 2005-2009...
- Barresi V, Caffo M, Alafaci C, Granata F, Tuccari G. Intradural chordoma of the Meckel's cave: a challenging differential diagnosis. Neuropathology. 2012;32:577-82 pubmed publisher..We also show that, different from conventional chordoma, intradural chordoma does not express the metallo-proteinases (MMPs) -2 and -9, which may account for its indolent biological behavior. ..
- Venza M, Visalli M, Alafaci C, Caffo M, Caruso G, Salpietro F, et al. Interleukin-8 overexpression in astrocytomas is induced by prostaglandin E2 and is associated with the transcription factors CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein-? and CCAAT/enhancer-binding homologous protein. Neurosurgery. 2011;69:713-21; discussion 721 pubmed publisher..2) C/EBP-? and CHOP may be involved in mediating PGE2-induced IL-8 activation in these tumors. (3) mPGES-1 inhibition may have potential as a form of adjuvant therapy for astrogliomas. ..
- Conti A, Ageunnouz M, La Torre D, Cardali S, Angileri F, Buemi C, et al. Expression of the tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated factors 1 and 2 and regulation of the nuclear factor-kappaB antiapoptotic activity in human gliomas. J Neurosurg. 2005;103:873-81 pubmed..These proteins are involved in the intracellular signal transduction of the TNFR superfamily and in the control of NF-kappaB expression and its antiapoptotic activity. ..
- Campo S, Campo G, Avenoso A, D Ascola A, Musolino C, Calabro L, et al. Lymphocytes from patients with early stage of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and long survival synthesize decorin. Biochimie. 2006;88:1933-9 pubmed..Significant changes were also seen between groups of patients of Rai stage 0 with recent diagnosis (less than 5 years, from analysis), (low amount of decorin) and less recent diagnosis (more than 5 years), (high amount of decorin). ..
- Mannina D, Luminari S, Dondi A, Polimeno G, Baldini L, Stelitano C, et al. Long term outcome of patients with localized aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphoma treated with PROMECE-CYTABOM plus involved-field radiation therapy: a study by the Gruppo Italiano Studio Linfomi. Leuk Lymphoma. 2010;51:422-9 pubmed publisher..Though the regimen used to treat these patients does not contain rituximab, results are considered excellent both in terms of efficacy and safety...
- Campo G, Avenoso A, Campo S, D Ascola A, Traina P, Rugolo C, et al. Differential effect of molecular mass hyaluronan on lipopolysaccharide-induced damage in chondrocytes. Innate Immun. 2010;16:48-63 pubmed publisher..These data confirm the multifactorial role played by hyaluronan and suggest, in particular, that hyaluronan may modulate inflammation during pathologies by its different degrees of polymerization...
- Consolo P, Luigiano C, Strangio G, Scaffidi M, Giacobbe G, Di Giuseppe G, et al. Efficacy, risk factors and complications of endoscopic polypectomy: ten year experience at a single center. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:2364-9 pubmed..To examine the efficacy and complications of colonoscopic resection of colorectal polypoid lesions...
- Wasniewska M, Arrigo T, Crisafulli G, Aversa T, Messina M, Salzano G, et al. In the Italian population sexual dimorphism affects pre-natal thyroid migration but not biochemical severity of gland ectopia and pre-natal bone maturation. J Endocrinol Invest. 2008;31:341-5 pubmed
- Bitto A, Granese R, Triolo O, Villari D, Maisano D, Giordano D, et al. Genistein aglycone: a new therapeutic approach to reduce endometrial hyperplasia. Phytomedicine. 2010;17:844-50 pubmed publisher..Endometrial hyperplasia without cytological atypia is commonly treated with progestins, but other treatment regimes may be available with equivalent efficacy and low side effects...
- Fodale V, La Monaca E. Propofol infusion syndrome: an overview of a perplexing disease. Drug Saf. 2008;31:293-303 pubmed..So, PRIS must be kept in mind as a rare, but highly lethal, complication of propofol use, not necessarily confined to its prolonged use. Furthermore, the safe dosage of propofol may need re-evaluation, and new studies are needed. ..
- Matarese G, Isola G, Anastasi G, Favaloro A, Milardi D, Vermiglio G, et al. Immunohistochemical analysis of TGF-?1 and VEGF in gingival and periodontal tissues: a role of these biomarkers in the pathogenesis of scleroderma and periodontal disease. Int J Mol Med. 2012;30:502-8 pubmed publisher..The findings presented here highlight that biomarkers, such as TGF-?1 and VEGF, play a key role in the evolution of the immune response, which in turn influences the outcome of disease establishment. ..
- Aragona P, Spinella R, Rania L, Postorino E, Sommario M, Roszkowska A, et al. Safety and efficacy of 0.1% clobetasone butyrate eyedrops in the treatment of dry eye in Sjögren syndrome. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2013;23:368-76 pubmed publisher..To study the effects of a low administration rate and low concentration (0.1%) of clobetasone butyrate eyedrops in patients with Sjögren syndrome (SS).?..
- Campo S, Sardo M, Bitto A, Bonaiuto A, Trimarchi G, Bonaiuto M, et al. Platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase is not associated with carotid intima-media thickness in hypercholesterolemic Sicilian individuals. Clin Chem. 2004;50:2077-82 pubmed..Our data provided no evidence that PAF-AH polymorphisms influence PAF-AH activity and atherosclerosis in hypercholesterolemic Sicilian patients. ..
- Russo M, Cichello F, Ragonese C, Donato P, Cacciola F, Dugo P, et al. Profiling and quantifying polar lipids in milk by hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography coupled with evaporative light-scattering and mass spectrometry detection. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2013;405:4617-26 pubmed publisher..A thorough screening of the polar lipid composition of milk samples of different origin is here outlined, for the first time. ..
- Cannavo S, Condurso R, Ragonese M, Ferrau F, Alibrandi A, Aricò I, et al. Increased prevalence of restless legs syndrome in patients with acromegaly and effects on quality of life assessed by Acro-QoL. Pituitary. 2011;14:328-34 pubmed publisher..01 and P < 0.001, respectively). Prevalence and severity of RLS is increased in patients with active acromegaly and impacts negatively on their physical performances, dramatically impairing quality of life...
- Di Bella G, Minutoli F, Mazzeo A, Vita G, Oreto G, Carerj S, et al. MRI of cardiac involvement in transthyretin familial amyloid polyneuropathy. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;195:W394-9 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to evaluate cardiac MRI features in a group of patients with transthyretin familial amyloid polyneuropathy (FAP)...
- Arena A, Bisignano C, Stassi G, Mandalari G, Wickham M, Bisignano G. Immunomodulatory and antiviral activity of almond skins. Immunol Lett. 2010;132:18-23 pubmed publisher..2 pg/ml) and IL-4 (170+/-21.4 pg/ml), representative of Th2 responses, were found. Our data suggest that almond skins improve the immune surveillance of PBMC towards viral infection, both by triggering the Th1 and Th2 subsets...
- Massara M, Barillà D, Franco G, Volpe A, Serra R, De Caridi G, et al. An Uncommon Case of Type III Endoleak Treated with a Custom-made Thoracic Stent Graft. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;35:206.e1-3 pubmed publisher..The successful strategy chosen to correct this complication was at the same time original and infrequent, and also avoided potential complications related to open surgical repair and general anesthesia. ..
- Barresi V, Alafaci C, Salpietro F, Tuccari G. Sstr2A immunohistochemical expression in human meningiomas: is there a correlation with the histological grade, proliferation or microvessel density?. Oncol Rep. 2008;20:485-92 pubmed..The existence of a correlation between sstr2A expression and the entity of neo-angiogenesis provides the basis for the use of somatostatin analogue-based therapies in the treatment of meningiomas. ..
- Manti S, Leonardi S, Salpietro A, Del Campo G, Salpietro C, Cuppari C. A systematic review of food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome from the last 40 years. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2017;118:411-418 pubmed publisher..Multicenter studies are needed to better develop an evidence-based approach to pathophysiology, prevalence, diagnosis, and natural history of the disease. ..
- Pennisi M, La Camera E, Giacobbe L, Orlandella B, Lentini V, Zummo S, et al. Molecular detection of Bartonella henselae and Bartonella clarridgeiae in clinical samples of pet cats from Southern Italy. Res Vet Sci. 2010;88:379-84 pubmed publisher..The use of nested-PCR assay on these three clinical samples may enhance the diagnostic sensitivity for bartonellosis in cats irrespective of the clinical status of animals. ..
- Raffa G, Malvindi P, Kowalewski M, Sansone F, Menicanti L. Training in Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery: Tips and Tricks of the Trade. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;29:137-142 pubmed publisher..This article discusses the surgical steps and the potential difficulties encountered during this procedure and how they can be solved. The "point of view" of an experienced surgeon is provided to the trainees and to the readers. ..
- Barresi V, Buttarelli F, Vitarelli E, Arcella A, Antonelli M, Giangaspero F. Caveolin-1 expression in diffuse gliomas: correlation with the proliferation index, epidermal growth factor receptor, p53, and 1p/19q status. Hum Pathol. 2009;40:1738-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study indicates that caveolin-1 is not useful as diagnostic marker to differentiate grade II astrocytomas from oligodendrogliomas. ..
- Genovese T, Esposito E, Mazzon E, Di Paola R, Meli R, Caminiti R, et al. Beneficial effects of ethyl pyruvate in a mouse model of spinal cord injury. Shock. 2009;32:217-27 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that EP treatment reduces the development of inflammation and tissue injury associated with spinal cord trauma. ..
- Melchini A, Traka M. Biological profile of erucin: a new promising anticancer agent from cruciferous vegetables. Toxins (Basel). 2010;2:593-612 pubmed publisher..These mechanisms include modulation of phase I, II and III detoxification, regulation of cell growth by induction of apoptosis and cell cycle arrest, induction of ROS-mechanisms and regulation androgen receptor pathways...
- Vita G, Monici M, Owaribe K, Messina C. Expression of plectin in muscle fibers with cytoarchitectural abnormalities. Neuromuscul Disord. 2003;13:485-92 pubmed
- Salpietro C, Cuppari C, Grasso L, Tosca M, Miraglia Del Giudice M, La Rosa M, et al. Nasal high-mobility group box-1 protein in children with allergic rhinitis. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2013;161:116-21 pubmed publisher..No study has yet investigated its role in AR. The aim of this study was to measure HMGB1 levels in the fluid recovered from nasal lavage in children with untreated AR and in control subjects...
- Bernardinelli E, Costa R, Scantamburlo G, To J, Morabito R, Nofziger C, et al. Mis-targeting of the mitochondrial protein LIPT2 leads to apoptotic cell death. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179591 pubmed publisher..The findings presented here may help elucidate the molecular mechanisms underlying derangements of lipoic acid biosynthesis. ..
- Genovese T, Cuzzocrea S. Role of free radicals and poly(ADP-ribose)polymerase-1 in the development of spinal cord injury: new potential therapeutic targets. Curr Med Chem. 2008;15:477-87 pubmed..g. peroxynitrite decomposition catalysts, selective superoxide dismutase mimetics (SODm), PARP-1 and PARG inhibitors. ..
- Bagnato G, De Filippis L, Morgante S, Morgante M, Farina G, Caliri A, et al. Clinical improvement and serum amino acid levels after mud-bath therapy. Int J Clin Pharmacol Res. 2004;24:39-47 pubmed..The results of this study confirm the efficacy of spa therapy in the treatment of osteoarthritis. A possible role for changes in serum amino acid concentration is discussed. ..
- Campo G, Avenoso A, Campo S, D Ascola A, Ferlazzo A, Calatroni A. Differential effect of growth factors on hyaluronan synthase gene expression in fibroblasts exposed to oxidative stress. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2007;72:974-82, 4 p. pubmed..Moreover, the increase in HAS mRNA levels was not translated into a consequent rise in HA concentration. ..
- Barresi V, Cerasoli S, Vitarelli E, Tuccari G. Density of microvessels positive for CD105 (endoglin) is related to prognosis in meningiomas. Acta Neuropathol. 2007;114:147-56 pubmed..CD105 might serve as a target for therapeutic approaches blocking blood supply in meningiomas. ..
- Tripodi P, Ruggeri R, Campenni A, Cucinotta M, Mirto A, Lo Gullo R, et al. Central nervous system vasculitis after starting methimazole in a woman with Graves' disease. Thyroid. 2008;18:1011-3 pubmed publisher..Here we describe the first patient with central nervous system (CNS) vasculitis that developed shortly after the start of methimazole (MMI) treatment for GD...
- D Avella D, Cacciola F, Angileri F, Cardali S, La Rosa G, Germano A, et al. Traumatic intracerebellar hemorrhagic contusions and hematomas. J Neurosurg Sci. 2001;45:29-37 pubmed..Traumatic intracerebellar hemorrhagic contusions and hematomas (TIHC) are unusual lesions and their surgical management remains controversial...
- Venza I, Visalli M, Tripodo B, De Grazia G, Loddo S, Teti D, et al. FOXE1 is a target for aberrant methylation in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. Br J Dermatol. 2010;162:1093-7 pubmed publisher..Treatment with the demethylating agent 5-Aza-2'-deoxycytidine resulted in profound reactivation of FOXE1 expression. These results indicate that FOXE1 is a crucial player in development of cutaneous SCC. ..
- Barreca D, Lagana G, Tellone E, Ficarra S, Leuzzi U, Galtieri A, et al. Influences of flavonoids on erythrocyte membrane and metabolic implication through anionic exchange modulation. J Membr Biol. 2009;230:163-71 pubmed publisher..The compounds with strong oxidative capability do not only influence cellular redox balance but also activate caspase-3, producing lactate dehydrogenase release and enhancing anionic exchange at the level of band 3 protein. ..
- Arena F, Scalfari G, Impellizzeri P, Antonuccio P, Romeo C. Case report of congenital fistula of the penile urethra. Minerva Pediatr. 2008;60:255-7 pubmed..Isolated congenital fistula of the penile urethra is extremely rare. A case of congenital urethral fistula with an intact glandular urethra without chordee is reported with a discussion of the possible etiology and management. ..
- Gaeta M, Mazziotti S, Minutoli F, Genitori A, Toscano A, Rodolico C, et al. MR imaging findings of focal myositis: a pseudotumour that may mimic muscle neoplasm. Skeletal Radiol. 2009;38:571-8 pubmed publisher..The authors describe magnetic resonance (MR) findings in eight patients with histologically confirmed focal myositis...
- Guergueltcheva V, Muller J, Dusl M, Senderek J, Oldfors A, Lindbergh C, et al. Congenital myasthenic syndrome with tubular aggregates caused by GFPT1 mutations. J Neurol. 2012;259:838-50 pubmed publisher..As tubular aggregates in context of a neuromuscular transmission defect appear to be highly indicative, we suggest calling this condition congenital myasthenic syndrome with tubular aggregates (CMS-TA). ..
- Barresi V, Cerasoli S, Tuccari G. Correlative evidence that tumor cell-derived caveolin-1 mediates angiogenesis in meningiomas. Neuropathology. 2008;28:472-8 pubmed publisher..The clarification of cav-1 role in the neoangiogensis of meningiomas may open new insights about the possibility of novel therapeutic strategies in these neoplasias. ..