Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Dublin, Ireland
Locale: Dublin, Ireland
- Brennan D, Rexhepaj E, O Brien S, McSherry E, O Connor D, Fagan A, et al. Altered cytoplasmic-to-nuclear ratio of survivin is a prognostic indicator in breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:2681-9 pubmed publisher..Nuclear survivin is a poor prognostic marker in breast cancer. Moreover, CNR of survivin, as determined by image analysis, is an independent prognostic factor. ..
- Caird J, Napoli C, Taggart C, Farrell M, Bouchier Hayes D. Matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 in human atherosclerotic and non-atherosclerotic cerebral aneurysms. Eur J Neurol. 2006;13:1098-105 pubmed....
- Ibrahim Verbaas C, Bressler J, Debette S, Schuur M, Smith A, Bis J, et al. GWAS for executive function and processing speed suggests involvement of the CADM2 gene. Mol Psychiatry. 2016;21:189-197 pubmed publisher..36 × 10(-11)) and neuron cell-cell adhesion (P-value=1.48 × 10(-13)). Our findings suggest that genetic variation in the CADM2 gene is associated with individual differences in information processing speed. ..
- Sheane B, Beddy P, O Connor M, Miller S, Cunnane G. Targeted ultrasound of the fifth metatarsophalangeal joint in an early inflammatory arthritis cohort. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;61:1004-8 pubmed publisher..The earlier detection of erosion may facilitate the timely initiation of disease-modifying antirheumatic drug therapy, particularly in patients with undifferentiated synovitis...
- Donohoe G, Walters J, Morris D, Quinn E, Judge R, Norton N, et al. Influence of NOS1 on verbal intelligence and working memory in both patients with schizophrenia and healthy control subjects. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009;66:1045-54 pubmed publisher..NOS1 is associated with clinically significant variation in cognition. Whether this is a mechanism by which schizophrenia risk is increased (eg, via an influence on cognitive reserve) is yet to be confirmed. ..
- Cooke N, Smith S, Kelleher M, Rogers T. Major differences exist in frequencies of virulence factors and multidrug resistance between community and nosocomial Escherichia coli bloodstream isolates. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:1099-104 pubmed publisher..coli bacteremia determines the virulence capacity of an isolate better than the phylogenetic group does. This study provides new insights into the relationships between the pathogenesis and epidemiology of E. coli bacteremia. ..
- Dervan E, Chen H, Ho S, Brummel N, Schmid J, Toomey D, et al. Protein macroarray profiling of serum autoantibodies in pseudoexfoliation glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:2968-75 pubmed publisher..Characterization of the autoantibody repertoire may provide new insights into the pathophysiology of PXFG. ..
- Szentpetery A, McKenna M, Murray B, Ng C, Brady J, Morrin M, et al. Periarticular bone gain at proximal interphalangeal joints and changes in bone turnover markers in response to tumor necrosis factor inhibitors in rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2013;40:653-62 pubmed publisher..Our aim was to assess the response of bone turnover markers (BTM) and hand bone mineral density (BMD) to anti-TNF over 3 years in RA and PsA...
- Paul G, Smith S, Whitford D, O Kelly F, O Dowd T. Development of a complex intervention to test the effectiveness of peer support in type 2 diabetes. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007;7:136 pubmed..The MRC framework was instrumental in the development of a robust intervention of peer support of type 2 diabetes in primary care. Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN42541690. ..
- Layte R, Sexton E, Savva G. Quality of life in older age: evidence from an Irish cohort study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013;61 Suppl 2:S299-305 pubmed publisher..Even if physical health becomes poor, evidence suggests that QoL can often remain high as individuals find value and enjoyment in other dimensions of life. ..
- Hafidh M, Sheahan P, Keogh I, Walsh R. Acute epiglottitis in adults: a recent experience with 10 cases. J Laryngol Otol. 2006;120:310-3 pubmed..Our objective was to examine the presentation, clinical course and management of acute epiglottitis in a recent series of adult patients...
- Wouters J, Vizoso M, Martinez Cardus A, Carmona F, Govaere O, Laguna T, et al. Comprehensive DNA methylation study identifies novel progression-related and prognostic markers for cutaneous melanoma. BMC Med. 2017;15:101 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we identify several markers of tumor development and progression previously unrelated to melanoma, and determined a prognostic signature with potential clinical utility. ..
- O Luanaigh C, O Connell H, Chin A, Hamilton F, Coen R, Walsh C, et al. Loneliness and cognition in older people: the Dublin Healthy Ageing study. Aging Ment Health. 2012;16:347-52 pubmed publisher..The mechanism for this association is unclear and warrants further investigation. ..
- Burke K, Schnittger R, O Dea B, Buckley V, Wherton J, Lawlor B. Factors associated with perceived health in older adult Irish population. Aging Ment Health. 2012;16:288-95 pubmed publisher..Self-rated health is not simply the absence of physical illness but is also strongly influenced by the degree of functional impairment, personality factors and the level of stress experienced by the older person. ..
- O Dwyer D, Armstrong M, Trujillo G, Cooke G, Keane M, Fallon P, et al. The Toll-like receptor 3 L412F polymorphism and disease progression in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;188:1442-50 pubmed publisher..TLR3 L412F was also associated with a significantly greater risk of mortality and an accelerated decline in FVC in patients with IPF. This study reveals the crucial role of defective TLR3 function in promoting progressive IPF. ..
- Ní Raghallaigh S, Bender K, Lacey N, Brennan L, Powell F. The fatty acid profile of the skin surface lipid layer in papulopustular rosacea. Br J Dermatol. 2012;166:279-87 pubmed publisher....
- Ryan E, Byrnes V, Coughlan B, Flanagan A, Barrett S, O Keane J, et al. Underdiagnosis of hereditary haemochromatosis: lack of presentation or penetration?. Gut. 2002;51:108-12 pubmed..Our findings indicate that underdiagnosis of HH may be due to the non-specific nature of early symptoms and less frequently to the incomplete penetrance of the C282Y mutation. ..
- Afzal N, Buhagiar K, Flood J, Cosgrave M. Quality of end-of-life care for dementia patients during acute hospital admission: a retrospective study in Ireland. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2010;32:141-6 pubmed publisher..The effective delivery of robust multidisciplinary frameworks for the palliation of symptoms of hospitalized dementia patients remains an important clinical goal. ..
- Lahiff C, Schilling C, Cathcart M, Mulligan N, Doran P, Muldoon C, et al. Prognostic significance of neuroepithelial transforming gene 1 in adenocarcinoma of the oesophagogastric junction. Br J Surg. 2014;101:55-62 pubmed publisher....
- Schnittger R, Wherton J, Prendergast D, Lawlor B. Risk factors and mediating pathways of loneliness and social support in community-dwelling older adults. Aging Ment Health. 2012;16:335-46 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight issues with the potential for consideration in the development of targeted interventions. ..
- Ferguson J, Phillips C, McMonagle J, Perez Martinez P, Shaw D, Lovegrove J, et al. NOS3 gene polymorphisms are associated with risk markers of cardiovascular disease, and interact with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Atherosclerosis. 2010;211:539-44 pubmed publisher..This suggests that these individuals might show greater beneficial effects of n-3 PUFA consumption to reduce plasma TAG concentrations. ..
- Spooner A, Deegan C, D Arcy D, Gowing C, Donnelly M, Corrigan O. An evaluation of ciprofloxacin pharmacokinetics in critically ill patients undergoing continuous veno-venous haemodiafiltration. BMC Clin Pharmacol. 2011;11:11 pubmed publisher..76), providing a useful clinical surrogate marker for ciprofloxacin clearance within the range studied. Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN52722850. ..
- Chan V, Moran D, Mwangi I, Eustace S. Prevalence and clinical significance of chondromalacia isolated to the anterior margin of the lateral femoral condyle as a component of patellofemoral disease: observations at MR imaging. Skeletal Radiol. 2013;42:1127-33 pubmed publisher....
- Jan A, Crean P, Büllesfeld L, Coleman J, Grube E, Mulvihill N. First clinical experience with Celt ACD(®) : a femoral arterial puncture closure device. J Interv Cardiol. 2013;26:417-24 pubmed publisher..The device may be effective in early ambulation and discharge of patients postcoronary intervention procedures. ..
- Smart K, Blake C, Staines A, Thacker M, Doody C. Mechanisms-based classifications of musculoskeletal pain: part 1 of 3: symptoms and signs of central sensitisation in patients with low back (± leg) pain. Man Ther. 2012;17:336-44 pubmed publisher..6-99.0). Pattern recognition of this empirically-derived cluster of symptoms and signs may help clinicians identify an assumed dominance of CSP in patients with low back pain disorders in a way that might usefully inform their management...
- Babar M, Ryan A, Anderson L, Segurado R, Turner G, Murray L, et al. Genes of the interleukin-18 pathway are associated with susceptibility to Barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol. 2012;107:1331-41 pubmed publisher..As both of these SNPs have been demonstrated as expression quantitative trait loci affecting expression of the respective genes, this strongly implicates IL-18 signaling in susceptibility to BE and EAC. ..
- Vangjeli C, Clarke N, Quinn U, Dicker P, Tighe O, Ho C, et al. Confirmation that the renin gene distal enhancer polymorphism REN-5312C/T is associated with increased blood pressure. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2010;3:53-9 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence that renin is an important susceptibility gene for arterial hypertension in whites. ..
- Kelleher M, McEvoy L, Nagaria J, Kamel M, Bolger C. Image-guided transarticular atlanto-axial screw fixation. Int J Med Robot. 2006;2:154-60 pubmed..The aim of this paper was to outline the use of frameless stereotaxy for the safe insertion of C1/C2 transarticular screws in the clinical setting of patients with atlanto-axial instability...
- Ryan R, Thornton J, Duggan E, McGovern E, O Dwyer M, Ryan A, et al. Gene polymorphism and requirement for vasopressor infusion after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;82:895-901 pubmed..Vasopressor requirement after surgery may be related to an interaction of genotype, preoperative morbidity, and prolonged surgery. ..
- Robertson D, Savva G, Kenny R. Frailty and cognitive impairment--a review of the evidence and causal mechanisms. Ageing Res Rev. 2013;12:840-51 pubmed publisher....
- McMonagle P, Byrne P, Fitzgerald B, Webb S, Parfrey N, Hutchinson M. Phenotype of AD-HSP due to mutations in the SPAST gene: comparison with AD-HSP without mutations. Neurology. 2000;55:1794-800 pubmed..There are at least seven genetic loci with varying ages at onset and disability. The SPAST gene at the SPG4 locus on chromosome 2p is the major disease gene for AD-HSP...
- Mosca I, Bhuachalla B, Kenny R. Explaining significant differences in subjective and objective measures of cardiovascular health: evidence for the socioeconomic gradient in a population-based study. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2013;13:64 pubmed publisher..Clear discrepancies in prevalence rates and gradients by socioeconomic status were found between subjective and objective reports of both disorders. This emphasizes the importance of objective measures when collecting population data. ..
- Kenny D, Muckian C, Fitzgerald D, Cannon C, Shields D. Platelet glycoprotein Ib alpha receptor polymorphisms and recurrent ischaemic events in acute coronary syndrome patients. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2002;13:13-9 pubmed..10). The overall risk of bleeding was not strongly influenced by either the -5C or the VNTR polymorphisms. In an unstable coronary syndrome population the T-5C polymorphism in GPIb(alpha) influences risk of subsequent MI. ..
- McGarvey L, Butler C, Stokesberry S, Polley L, McQuaid S, Abdullah H, et al. Increased expression of bronchial epithelial transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 channels in patients with severe asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;133:704-12.e4 pubmed publisher..These channels might represent a novel therapeutic target for the treatment of uncontrolled asthma. ..
- Devenney K, Sanders M, Lawlor B, Olde Rikkert M, Schneider S. The effects of an extensive exercise programme on the progression of Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. BMC Geriatr. 2017;17:75 pubmed publisher..The results will add new insights into the prevailing notion that exercise may slow the rate of cognitive decline in MCI. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT02913053. ..
- Romero Ortuno R, Cogan L, Foran T, Kenny R, Fan C. Continuous noninvasive orthostatic blood pressure measurements and their relationship with orthostatic intolerance, falls, and frailty in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011;59:655-65 pubmed publisher..5%, P<.001), falls (24.7% vs 10.4%, P<.001), and frailty (14.1% vs 5.4%, P=.005). It is recommended that the IOH definition be applied when taking continuous noninvasive orthostatic BP measurements in older people. ..
- O Shea D. Setting up a falls and syncope service for the elderly. Clin Geriatr Med. 2002;18:269-78 pubmed....
- Krieger J, McNicholas W, Levy P, De Backer W, Douglas N, Marrone O, et al. Public health and medicolegal implications of sleep apnoea. Eur Respir J. 2002;20:1594-609 pubmed
- Roche F, Massey R, Peacock S, Day N, Visai L, Speziale P, et al. Characterization of novel LPXTG-containing proteins of Staphylococcus aureus identified from genome sequences. Microbiology. 2003;149:643-54 pubmed..Several IgG samples purified from patients recovering from S. aureus infections had higher titres against Sas proteins than control IgG, suggesting that expression occurred during infection in some patients. ..
- Balding J, Livingstone W, Pittock S, Mynett Johnson L, Ahern T, Hodgson A, et al. The IL-6 G-174C polymorphism may be associated with ischaemic stroke in patients without a history of hypertension. Ir J Med Sci. 2004;173:200-3 pubmed..The IL6 -174 CC genotype may be protective against stroke in those patients who have no history of hypertension. Further studies are required to verify these findings. ..
- Paul G, Smith S, Whitford D, O Shea E, O Kelly F, O Dowd T. Peer support in type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled trial in primary care with parallel economic and qualitative analyses: pilot study and protocol. BMC Fam Pract. 2007;8:45 pubmed..Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN42541690. ..
- Foschini M, Miglio R, Quinn C, Belgio B, Regitnig P, Bianchi S, et al. Prognostic impact of macrometastasis linear size in sentinel node biopsy for breast carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1421-1427 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that a Mac-m size of <7 mm is related to a low residual axillary disease burden in breast cancer patients with small (pT1) tumours. ..
- Cronin S, Tomik B, Bradley D, Slowik A, Hardiman O. Screening for replication of genome-wide SNP associations in sporadic ALS. Eur J Hum Genet. 2009;17:213-8 pubmed publisher..The result for DPP6 is surprising, as it has been replicated elsewhere. We discuss the possible interpretations and implications of these findings for future ALS GWA studies both within and between populations. ..
- Sullivan S, Tosetto M, Kevans D, Coss A, Wang L, O Donoghue D, et al. Localization of nuclear cathepsin L and its association with disease progression and poor outcome in colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:54-61 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these findings suggest that altering active nuclear Cathepsin L may significantly influence disease progression. ..
- Prendiville T, Saunders J, FitzSimons J. The information-seeking behaviour of paediatricians accessing web-based resources. Arch Dis Child. 2009;94:633-5 pubmed publisher..Information technology resources play a key role in helping physicians to deliver, in a time-efficient manner, solutions to clinical queries at the point of care. ..
- Patel K, Duggan S, Currid C, Gallagher W, McManus R, Kelleher D, et al. High sensitivity cytokine detection in acute coronary syndrome reveals up-regulation of interferon gamma and interleukin-10 post myocardial infarction. Clin Immunol. 2009;133:251-6 pubmed publisher..Our observations provide evidence that IFNgamma and IL-10 merit further investigation in atherosclerotic disease states as potential markers of disease and therapeutic targets. ..
- Cahir C, Thomas A, Dombrowski S, Bennett K, Sharp L. Urban-Rural Variations in Quality-of-Life in Breast Cancer Survivors Prescribed Endocrine Therapy. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..76, SE 0.65, p < 0.01) than urban survivors. QoL in breast cancer survivors is not simply about proximity and access to healthcare services but may include individual and community level psychosocial factors. ..
- McKiernan E, McDermott E, Evoy D, Crown J, Duffy M. The role of S100 genes in breast cancer progression. Tumour Biol. 2011;32:441-50 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, we conclude that the different S100 genes play varying roles in breast cancer progression. Specific S100 genes are potential targets for the treatment of basal-type breast cancers. ..
- Kennedy A, Ng C, Chang T, Biniecka M, O Sullivan J, Heffernan E, et al. Tumor necrosis factor blocking therapy alters joint inflammation and hypoxia. Arthritis Rheum. 2011;63:923-32 pubmed publisher..To examine the effect of tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blocking therapy on hypoxia in vivo, macroscopic and microscopic inflammation, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) results in patients with inflammatory arthritis...
- Crowley R, Woods C, Fleming M, Rogers B, Behan L, O Sullivan E, et al. Somnolence in adult craniopharyngioma patients is a common, heterogeneous condition that is potentially treatable. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2011;74:750-5 pubmed publisher..Somnolence and obesity are prevalent in craniopharyngioma patients. We hypothesized that somnolence was because of obstructive sleep apnoea in craniopharyngioma patients...
- de Luna R, Moledina A, Wang J, Jampel H. Measurement of Gamma-Irradiated Corneal Patch Graft Thickness After Aqueous Drainage Device Surgery. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:941-946 pubmed publisher..Although placement of gamma-irradiated sterile cornea (GISC) as a patch graft over the tube is commonly performed, exposures still occur...
- Ultaigh S, Saber T, McCormick J, Connolly M, Dellacasagrande J, Keogh B, et al. Blockade of Toll-like receptor 2 prevents spontaneous cytokine release from rheumatoid arthritis ex vivo synovial explant cultures. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011;13:R33 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to examine the effect of blocking Toll-like receptor 2 (TLR2) in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) synovial cells...
- Kamiya Y, Doyle M, HENRETTA J, Timonen V. Depressive symptoms among older adults: the impact of early and later life circumstances and marital status. Aging Ment Health. 2013;17:349-57 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that previous studies which did not consider both may have underestimated or overestimated the effect of marital status, education, current health and education on depressive symptoms. ..
- McNulty M, Spiers P, McGovern E, Feely J. Aging is associated with increased matrix metalloproteinase-2 activity in the human aorta. Am J Hypertens. 2005;18:504-9 pubmed..To a lesser extent, MMP activity is present in all layers of the IMA. This study demonstrates that age-related MMP-2 upregulation occurs in the human aorta but not in the IMA. ..
- Cooney R, Flanagan K, Zehyle E. Review of surgical management of cystic hydatid disease in a resource limited setting: Turkana, Kenya. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;16:1233-6 pubmed..This is one of the largest series of surgical hydatid patients from Africa and demonstrates the wide diversity in cyst location. ..
- Flahavan E, Bennett K, Sharp L, Barron T. A cohort study investigating aspirin use and survival in men with prostate cancer. Ann Oncol. 2014;25:154-9 pubmed publisher..Men receiving higher doses of aspirin had a statistically significant reduced risk of prostate cancer-specific mortality. These findings regarding an aspirin dose require further investigation. ..
- Martin S, Heneghan H, Winter D. Systematic review of outcomes after intersphincteric resection for low rectal cancer. Br J Surg. 2012;99:603-12 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this systematic review was to evaluate the current evidence regarding oncological outcomes, morbidity and mortality, and functional outcomes after ISR for low rectal cancer...
- Leonard K. A European survey relating to cancer therapy and neutropenic infections: nurse and patient viewpoints. Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2012;16:380-6 pubmed publisher..However, results of the patient survey suggest a need for better patient education. ..
- Amin M, Glynn F, Rowley S, O Leary G, O Dwyer T, Timon C, et al. Complementary medicine use in patients with head and neck cancer in Ireland. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2010;267:1291-7 pubmed publisher..There is an urgent need for evidence-based investigation of various CAM/TM therapies currently offered to patients. ..
- Keeling A, Naughton P, O Connell A, Lee M. Does percutaneous transluminal angioplasty improve quality of life?. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2008;19:169-76 pubmed publisher..Aspirin significantly improves pain after PTA. QOL assessment is useful after peripheral angioplasty. ..
- Corcoran M, Vickers I, Mereckiene J, Murchan S, Cotter S, Fitzgerald M, et al. The epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in older adults in the post-PCV era. Has there been a herd effect?. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2390-2399 pubmed publisher..However, increases in PPV23-PCV13 and NVTs suggest that changes in vaccination strategy amongst older adults are needed to build on the success of PCVs in children...
- Elliott J, Doyle S, Murphy C, King S, Guinan E, Beddy P, et al. Sarcopenia: Prevalence, and Impact on Operative and Oncologic Outcomes in the Multimodal Management of Locally Advanced Esophageal Cancer. Ann Surg. 2017;266:822-830 pubmed publisher..The aim of this article was to study the prevalence and significance of sarcopenia in the multimodal management of locally advanced esophageal cancer (LAEC), and to assess its independent impact on operative and oncologic outcomes...