Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on risk factors in China
Topic: risk factors
Publications297 found, 100 shown here
- Yan F, Xie F, Gong X, Wang F, Yang L. Effect of anterior cruciate ligament rupture on secondary damage to menisci and articular cartilage. Knee. 2016;23:102-5 pubmed publisher..It is recommended that the best time range for ACL reconstruction is between four and six weeks after initial injury. ..
- Jiang W, Gu H, Zhang Y, Xia Q, Qi J, Chen J. Vitamin D Supplementation in the Treatment of Chronic Heart Failure: A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Clin Cardiol. 2016;39:56-61 pubmed publisher..05). Vitamin D supplementation may decrease serum levels of parathyroid hormone and inflammatory mediators in CHF patients, whereas it has no beneficial effects on improvement of left ventricular function and exercise tolerance. ..
- Chen P, Li W, Wang J, Jiang Y, Wu P, Chen T, et al. Association between MTHFR gene polymorphisms (C677T, A1298C) and genetic susceptibility to prostate cancer: a meta-analysis. Genet Mol Res. 2015;14:19191-202 pubmed publisher..The association between the MTHFR A1298C CC genotype and prostate cancer risk may vary within different populations. Large-scale well-designed studies are required to confirm these associations. ..
- Ko G, Chan J. Burden of obesity--lessons learnt from Hong Kong Chinese. Obes Rev. 2008;9 Suppl 1:35-40 pubmed publisher..A multidimensional and multidisciplinary health promotion and disease management plan is urgently needed to control these epidemics. ..
- Kong A, Choi K, Cockram C, Ho C, Chan M, Ozaki R, et al. Independent associations of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels with cardiovascular risk factor clustering in Chinese adolescents. J Hepatol. 2008;49:115-22 pubmed publisher..In adolescents, top ALT stratum, albeit within normal range, is associated with clustering of cardiovascular risk factors, independent of obesity. ..
- Chan K, Liu W, Long J, Yip S, Chan S, Shu X, et al. Functional polymorphisms in the BRCA1 promoter influence transcription and are associated with decreased risk for breast cancer in Chinese women. J Med Genet. 2009;46:32-9 pubmed publisher..2265C-->T, which could affect susceptibility to breast cancer in the Chinese population. Its significance in other populations remains to be investigated. ..
- Zhang M, Zhao J, Tong W, Wang A, Huang G, Zhang Y. Associations between metabolic syndrome and its components and alcohol drinking. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2011;119:509-12 pubmed publisher..597(0.479, 0.745) for alcohol drinking compared with no drinking. Alcohol drinking was significantly and positively associated with high BP and high TG, while alcohol drinking inversely associated with low HDL-C. ..
- Ran M, Weng X, Chan C, Chen E, Tang C, Lin F, et al. Different outcomes of never-treated and treated patients with schizophrenia: 14-year follow-up study in rural China. Br J Psychiatry. 2015;207:495-500 pubmed publisher..The 14-year follow-up showed that outcomes for the untreated group were worse. Community-based mental healthcare, health insurance and family intervention are crucial for earlier diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation in the community. ..
- Jiang W, Yin F, Zhou W, Yan Y, Ji W. Clinical significance of different virus load of human bocavirus in patients with lower respiratory tract infection. Sci Rep. 2016;6:20246 pubmed publisher..85% in our series). A high HBoV virus load could be an etiologic agent for LRTI, which may lead to more severe lower respiratory tract symptom and severe disease. ..
- Wang J, Luo J, Dong L, Gong J, Tong M. Epidemiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a general population-based study in Xi'an of Northwest China. World J Gastroenterol. 2004;10:1647-51 pubmed..The etiology and pathogenesis of GERD are probably associated with FD, IBS, and some respiratory, laryngopharyngeal and odontostological diseases or symptoms. Some lifestyles, diseases and dietary factors are the risk factors of GERD. ..
- Leung G, Ho L, Lam T, Hedley A. Epidemiology of SARS in the 2003 Hong Kong epidemic. Hong Kong Med J. 2009;15 Suppl 9:12-6 pubmed..3. The characteristics of those who contracted the disease are determined including factors associated with the likelihood of mortality as a result of SARS coronavirus infection. ..
- Yu E, Shao Z, Shen B. Pouchitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2007;13:5598-604 pubmed..The majority of patients respond favorably to antibiotic therapy. However, management of chronic antibiotic-refractory pouchitis remains a challenge...
- Wang G, Li Y, Staessen J, Lu L, Wang J. Anthropometric and lifestyle factors associated with white-coat, masked and sustained hypertension in a Chinese population. J Hypertens. 2007;25:2398-405 pubmed..14 and 1.12). Women were less likely to have masked hypertension than men (OR, 0.39). Sex, age, body mass index, and urinary sodium and potassium excretion contribute to the risk of white-coat, masked and sustained HT in Chinese. ..
- Li N, Yao X, Zhu J, Yang J, Liu K, Wang Y, et al. Higher levels of plasma TNF-alpha and neuropeptide Y in hypertensive patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2010;32:54-60 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to clarify the role of inflammation in the pathogenesis of hypertension with OSAS, in which neck size should be considered as a linked independent factor. ..
- Liu F, Bao Y, Hu R, Zhang X, Li H, Zhu D, et al. Screening and prevalence of peripheral neuropathy in type 2 diabetic outpatients: a randomized multicentre survey in 12 city hospitals of China. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2010;26:481-9 pubmed publisher..This study investigated the prevalence of diabetic peripheral neuropathy of combining both methods in type 2 diabetic outpatients in Chinese urban hospitals...
- Zhao Y, Wang W, Wang X, Xu Y, Wang Y, Dong Z, et al. Downregulation of serum DKK-1 predicts poor prognosis in patients with papillary thyroid cancer. Genet Mol Res. 2015;14:18886-94 pubmed publisher..031). In conclusion, low DKK-1 serum levels are associated with poor prognosis in PTC patients and DKK-1 could potentially be used as a biomarker leading to earlier diagnosis of PTC. ..
- Guo X, Tang P, Liu P, Liu Y, Chong L, Li R. Dkk1: A promising molecule to connect Alzheimer's disease and osteoporosis. Med Hypotheses. 2016;88:30-2 pubmed publisher..Our hypothesis will shed new light on the understanding of the relationship between these two diseases and help to explain some common characters of osteoporosis and AD. ..
- Si F, Feng Y, Han M. Association between interleukin-17 gene polymorphisms and the risk of laryngeal cancer in a Chinese population. Genet Mol Res. 2017;16: pubmed publisher..08-3.39, respectively). In conclusion, the rs2275913 IL-17A (197 G/A) is associated with the incidence and development of laryngeal cancer in the Chinese population, and the AA and GA+AA genotypes harbor a high laryngeal cancer risk. ..
- Chuh A, Chan H, Zawar V. Pityriasis rosea--evidence for and against an infectious aetiology. Epidemiol Infect. 2004;132:381-90 pubmed..Mycoplasma spp. and Chlamydia spp. infections. Evidence is also unsubstantiated as yet for alternative aetiological hypotheses such as autoimmunity, atopy, and genetic predisposition. ..
- Chung B, Wong V. Relationship between five common viruses and febrile seizure in children. Arch Dis Child. 2007;92:589-93 pubmed..The risk of developing FS is similar with influenza, adenovirus or parainfluenza and is higher than with RSV or rotavirus. Type of viral infection is not important in predicting complex features or future recurrences. ..
- Chen S, Li Y, Li S, Yu C. A Val227Ala substitution in the peroxisome proliferator activated receptor alpha (PPAR alpha) gene associated with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and decreased waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;23:1415-8 pubmed publisher..The results showed that waist circumference and WHR were related with the PPAR-alpha val227ala polymorphism. PPAR-alpha val227ala polymorphism may be involved in the pathogenesis of NAFLD and play a protective role in obesity. ..
- Wang X, Chiu Y, Qiu H, Au J, Yu I. The roles of smoking and cooking emissions in lung cancer risk among Chinese women in Hong Kong. Ann Oncol. 2009;20:746-51 pubmed publisher..We confirmed the important roles of smoking and cooking emissions in lung cancer risk among the women. These two major risk factors appeared to act independently. ..
- Tsang C, Samaranayake L. Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome after highly active antiretroviral therapy: a review. Oral Dis. 2010;16:248-56 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the definition, diagnostic criteria, pathogenesis, risk factors, clinical spectrum including oral manifestations, and management of IRIS. ..
- Wang J, Zhao Y, Shen B, Wang C, Li M. Risk factor analysis of proximal junctional kyphosis after posterior fusion in patients with idiopathic scoliosis. Injury. 2010;41:415-20 pubmed publisher..5 years after surgery in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis. In order to reduce its incidence, the risk factors for PJK should be carefully evaluated before surgery. ..
- Chu Yuan H, Jing P, Yi Sheng W, He Ping P, Hui Y, Chu Xiong Z, et al. The impact of chemotherapy-associated neutrophil/ lymphocyte counts on prognosis of adjuvant chemotherapy in colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:177 pubmed publisher..66 × 109/L, and age >60 years is the independent risk factor for developing lymphopenia <0.91 × 10(9)/L during adjuvant chemotherapy of CRC. ..
- Cai L, Ye H, Lv X, Wu Y, Zhang H, Zheng L, et al. 25-(OH)VitD3, as a risk indicator in diagnosis of adenocarcinoma. Curr Drug Targets. 2013;14:1367-76 pubmed..8 nmol/L, n=81)) can be a promising approach in cancer diagnosis. In this review, we suggest that 25-hydroxy-Vitamin D3 can act as an indicator and/or risk assessment factor in early diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of adenocarcinoma. ..
- Wu J, Lu X, Wang Z, Shangguan S, Chang S, Li R, et al. Association between PKA gene polymorphism and NTDs in high risk Chinese population in Shanxi. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013;6:2968-74 pubmed..The gene polymorphism loci rs12132032 in PRKACB maybe a potential risk factor for anencephaly in Chinese population from Shanxi, while gender susceptibility may influence the correlation. ..
- Li H, Liu F, Zhu H, Zhou X, Lu J, Chang H, et al. PIK3CA polymorphisms associated with susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:15255-9 pubmed..030), which suggested that G-T might be a susceptible haplotype to HCC. The PIK3CA rs17849071 and rs17849079 polymorphisms may increase the risk of HCC either independently or synergistically. ..
- Shen Y, Li D, Wu J, Zhang Z, Gao E. Joint effects of the CYP1A1 MspI, ERalpha PvuII, and ERalpha XbaI polymorphisms on the risk of breast cancer: results from a population-based case-control study in Shanghai, China. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006;15:342-7 pubmed..81-7.07), and among all three genotypes (m2/m2, pp, and xx; OR, 8.07; 95% CI, 1.45-44.77). Results of this study indicate that estrogen-metabolizing genes and estrogen receptor may jointly play a role in the etiology of breast cancer. ..
- Shao J, Gu M, Xu Z, Hu Q, Qian L. Polymorphisms of the DNA gene XPD and risk of bladder cancer in a Southeastern Chinese population. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2007;177:30-6 pubmed..These two XPD polymorphisms may play an important role in the etiology of bladder cancer in the southeastern Chinese population. ..
- Xie G, Guo D, Li Y, Liang S, Wu Y. The impact of severity of hypertension on association of PGC-1alpha gene with blood pressure and risk of hypertension. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2007;7:33 pubmed..This finding suggested severe hypertension rather than regular hypertension should be used as the outcome in studies on association of genes with blood pressure or hypertension, in order to have a better power. ..
- Guo J, Yang H, Xu Y, Wang G, Huang L, Tang T. Results after immediate operations of closed ankle fractures in patients with preoperatively neglected type 2 diabetes. Injury. 2009;40:894-6 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that immediate surgical intervention is appropriate in CAF patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Khanal S, Zhang W, Shrestha N, Dahal G. A comparative study of outcome of preterm neonate with and without history of preterm premature rupture of membrane. Nepal Med Coll J. 2009;11:99-103 pubmed..7%) and was statistically significant (p<0.001). The morbidity of preterm neonate does not entirely depend on history of PPROM than prematurity itself. However severity of disease and death is more with history of PPROM. ..
- Bai M, Qi X, Yang Z, Yin Z, Nie Y, Yuan S, et al. Predictors of hepatic encephalopathy after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in cirrhotic patients: a systematic review. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;26:943-51 pubmed publisher..Our meta-analysis showed that patients with HE before TIPS or higher Child-Pugh class/score had increased risk of post-TIPS HE. Increased age, prior HE and higher Child-Pugh class/score were the most robust predictors for post-TIPS HE. ..
- Xia Q, Zhou L, Liu D, Chen Z, Chen F. Relationship between TNF-<alpha> gene promoter polymorphisms and outcomes of hepatitis B virus infections: a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19606 pubmed publisher..More studies on individuals from various ethnic groups will be necessary to determine the role of TNF-<alpha> promoter polymorphisms in the outcome of HBV infection. ..
- Ding Q, Li D, Wang P, Chu Y, Meng S, Sun Q. [Risk factors for infections of methicillin-resistant Staphylococci in diabetic foot patients]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2012;92:228-31 pubmed..Antibiotic usage in 6 months prior to hospitalization, long course of ulcer, osteomyelitis, hypertension and hypoproteinemia are risk factors for the MRSA infection. And HbA1c is a risk factor for the MRSE infection. ..
- Li Q, Zhang J, Zhou Y, Qiao L. Obesity and gastric cancer. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2012;17:2383-90 pubmed..pylori together with life style modification in obese individuals may help prevent the development of gastric cancer in the increasingly obese population. ..
- Lou P, Zhu Y, Chen P, Zhang P, Yu J, Zhang N, et al. Vulnerability of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease according to gender in China. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2012;7:825-32 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we recommend adopting different measures for men and women when attempting to prevent, control, and treat COPD, rehabilitate these patients, and improve their quality of life. ..
- Tan Z, Liang Y, Liu S, Cao W, Tu H, Guo L, et al. Health-related quality of life as measured with EQ-5D among populations with and without specific chronic conditions: a population-based survey in Shaanxi Province, China. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65958 pubmed publisher..Longitudinal studies must be performed to monitor changes in HRQoL and to permit evaluation of the outcomes of chronic disease intervention programs. ..
- Hu X, Feng C, Lin X, Zhong Z, Zhu Y, Lv P, et al. High maternal serum estradiol environment in the first trimester is associated with the increased risk of small-for-gestational-age birth. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014;99:2217-24 pubmed publisher..01). The maternal high-E2 environment in the first trimester is correlated with increased risks of LBW and SGA. Evaluation of serum E2 before ET should be adopted to reduce the possibility of high E2 exposure to gamete/embryo. ..
- Zhong C, You S, Zhong X, Chen G, Xu T, Zhang Y. Retinal vein occlusion and risk of cerebrovascular disease and myocardial infarction: A meta-analysis of cohort studies. Atherosclerosis. 2016;247:170-6 pubmed publisher..No evidence of publication bias was observed. This meta-analysis provides further evidence supporting that RVO is associated with increased risk of future cerebrovascular disease and MI. ..
- Zhou C, Zhang F, Zhang F, Yu Z, Chen X, Shen X, et al. Sarcopenia: a new predictor of postoperative complications for elderly gastric cancer patients who underwent radical gastrectomy. J Surg Res. 2017;211:137-146 pubmed publisher..Sarcopenia, presented as a new geriatric assessment factor, was a strong and independent risk factor for postoperative complications of elderly patients with gastric cancer. ..
- Wu S, Yuan W, Shen Y, Lu X, Li Y, Tian T, et al. The miR-608 rs4919510 polymorphism may modify cancer susceptibility based on type. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317703819 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, SEMA4G may function as an oncogene or tumour suppressor to regulate tumour development in a type-specific manner. Further studies with experimental evaluations are warranted. ..
- Dai K, Gao W, Ruan C. The Sma I polymorphism in the von Willebrand factor gene associated with acute ischemic stroke. Thromb Res. 2001;104:389-95 pubmed..This polymorphism of vWF may represent a newly identified risk factor for acute ischemic stroke in Chinese. Whether it is the real functional variant associated with acute ischemic stroke remains to be elucidated. ..
- Kan K, Liu J, Lo E, Corbet E, Leung W. Residual periodontal defects distal to the mandibular second molar 6-36 months after impacted third molar extraction. J Clin Periodontol. 2002;29:1004-11 pubmed
- Xiang Y, Weng Y, Leung C, Tang W, Ungvari G. Clinical correlates of clozapine prescription for schizophrenia in China. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2007;22:17-25 pubmed..Clozapine appears to have little significant influence on quality of life in clinical stable Chinese patients with schizophrenia. ..
- Yang X, Ma R, So W, Kong A, Ko G, Ho C, et al. Development and validation of a risk score for hospitalization for heart failure in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2008;7:9 pubmed publisher..20) and the adjusted aROC was 0.920 for 5 years of follow-up. The risk score had adequate performance. Further validations in other cohorts of patients with T2DM are needed before clinical use. ..
- Leung P, Boost M, Lau J, Wong A, Pang M, Ng T, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for Chlamydia trachomatis infection among cross-border truck drivers in Hong Kong. Sex Transm Infect. 2009;85:27-9 pubmed publisher..The findings highlight the importance of promoting safe sex to truck drivers. ..
- Wang X, Yu I, Chiu Y, Qiu H, Fu Z, Goggins W, et al. Previous pulmonary disease and family cancer history increase the risk of lung cancer among Hong Kong women. Cancer Causes Control. 2009;20:757-63 pubmed publisher..The results support an etiological link of preexisting lung disease and family cancer history to the risk of lung cancer. ..
- Li D, Jing X, Wang H, Ye W, Fan H. [Study of correlationship between congenital heart disease and 5, 10-methylenetetra hydrofolate reductase gene's polymorphism or folacin intakes]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2009;43:700-4 pubmed..There is interaction between folacin intakes and the MTHFR 677TT genotype. Increasing the intakes of folacin among MTHFR 677TT genotype people might decrease the incidence rate of congenital heart disease. ..
- Hu Y, Pan Y, Li W, Zhang Y, Li J, Ma B. Association between TGFBR1*6A and osteosarcoma: a Chinese case-control study. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:169 pubmed publisher..However, TGFBR1*6A was significantly associated with less metastasis. TGFBR1*6A, a dominant polymorphism of TGFBR1, is associated with increased susceptibility and metastasis spread of osteosarcoma. ..
- Han L, Geng L, Liu X, Shi H, He W, Wu M. Clinical significance of IEX-1 expression in ovarian carcinoma. Ultrastruct Pathol. 2011;35:260-6 pubmed publisher..Altered IEX-1 expression can potentially be a new predictor of the malignant transformation and a prognostic indicator for cancer therapy. ..
- Wang Y, Ma X, Zhou M, Zong W, Zhang L, Hao Y, et al. Contribution of visceral fat accumulation to carotid intima-media thickness in a Chinese population. Int J Obes (Lond). 2012;36:1203-8 pubmed publisher..VFA ?80?cm2 effectively identified carotid atherosclerosis for both lean and obese individuals in middle-aged Chinese men. ..
- Yu X, Zhang X, Wang L, Li F, Xu J. Status of human papillomavirus infection in the rural female population in Northwestern China: an observational study. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2013;17:17-22 pubmed publisher..6%, and HPV-35 was the most common type of HPV infection in the study in Shaanxi Province. Women with more than 1 previous abortion and vaginitis had more HPV prevalence, and HPV infection could coincide with pregnancy. ..
- Zhang Z, Xu G, Liu D, Fan X, Zhu W, Liu X. Angiotensin-converting enzyme insertion/deletion polymorphism contributes to ischemic stroke risk: a meta-analysis of 50 case-control studies. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46495 pubmed publisher..The results of our meta-analysis indicate that the D allele of ACE I/D polymorphism is a low-penetrance susceptibility marker of ischemic stroke. ..
- Leng X, Chen X, Chook P, Xiong L, Lin W, Liu J, et al. Association between metabolic syndrome and carotid atherosclerosis: a community-based study in Hong Kong. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2013;11:109-14 pubmed publisher..50; 95% CI 0.92-2.46; P=0.108). Metabolic syndrome may be independently associated with the early stage but not the later and advanced stages of carotid atherosclerosis in community residents in China. ..
- Yang F, Gao Y, Geng J, Qu D, Han Q, Qi J, et al. Elevated expression of SOX2 and FGFR1 in correlation with poor prognosis in patients with small cell lung cancer. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013;6:2846-54 pubmed..Patients with elevated expression of both markers belonged to the group with the shortest RFS (P<0.0001) and OS (P<0.0001). Increased expression of SOX2 and FGFR1 may be available as poor prognostic indicators in SCLC patients. ..
- Wang Z, Hao G, Zhang L, Chen Z, Wang X, Guo M, et al. Central systolic blood pressure is associated with ethnicity and cardiovascular disease risk factors in Chinese middle-aged population. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2016;23:228-36 pubmed publisher..CSBP estimated using the BPro device correlates with various cardiovascular risk factors. Our results may help establish future reference values in the Chinese middle-aged population. ..
- Wang C, Lai Q, Zhang S, Hu J. Senile cataract and genetic polymorphisms of APE1, XRCC1 and OGG1. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:16036-45 pubmed..In OGG1 Ser326Cys and XRCC1 Arg399Gln polymorphisms, there were no significant differences in frequencies of the variant homozygous in patients compared with controls. ..
- Lian S, Huang Y, Yang H, Zhao H. Serum carbohydrate antigen 12-5 level enhances the prognostic value in primary adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung: a two-institutional experience. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2016;22:419-24 pubmed publisher..Serum CA 12-5 level and TNM status predict the long-term prognosis of resected primary ASC of the lung. Postoperative platinum-based chemotherapy improved survival in patients with ASC. ..
- Zhang S, Wu Z. WNT10A polymorphism may be a risk factor for non-syndromic hypodontia. Genet Mol Res. 2016;15: pubmed publisher..512-4.695; P < 0.001). We provide here the first case-control study evidence that risk of hypodontia may be related to the WNT10A polymorphism. Our results also confirm the importance of the Wnt pathway in tooth development. ..
- Yang S, Zhang L, Liu K, Fan X, Ding W, He C, et al. Postoperative Catheter-Directed Thrombolysis Versus Systemic Anticoagulation for Acute Superior Mesenteric Venous Thrombosis. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;35:88-97 pubmed publisher..For ASMVT patients receiving emergent surgery and intraoperative thrombectomy, the algorithm with postoperative CDT via SMA is associated with more favorable clinical outcome compared with systemic anticoagulation. ..
- Lao X, Ren S, Lu Y, Yang D, Qin X, Li S. Genetic polymorphisms of C-reactive protein increase susceptibility to HBV-related hepatocellular carcinoma in a Guangxi male population. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:16055-63 pubmed..803, 95% CI, 1.237-2.335, P<0.001). We concluded that the CRP rs3093059 polymorphism may play a significant role in the development of HBV-related HCC in the Guangxi male population. ..
- Chau T, Lai S, Tse C, Ng T, Leung V, Lim W, et al. Epidemiology and clinical features of sporadic hepatitis E as compared with hepatitis A. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:292-6 pubmed..Hepatitis E is a more severe disease entity as compared with hepatitis A and significant proportion of them are imported cases from an endemic area. ..
- Wong V, Khong P. Tuberous sclerosis complex: correlation of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings with comorbidities. J Child Neurol. 2006;21:99-105 pubmed
- Wu F, Qu Y, Tang Y, Cao D, Sun P, Xia Z. Lack of association between cytokine gene polymorphisms and silicosis and pulmonary tuberculosis in Chinese iron miners. J Occup Health. 2008;50:445-54 pubmed..05). We did not find an association between the different genotypes and severity of silicosis. We assume that these genetic variants do not play a dominant role in silicosis and PTB in our Chinese population. ..
- Ho P, Yip K, Chow K, Lo J, Que T, Yuen K. Antimicrobial resistance among uropathogens that cause acute uncomplicated cystitis in women in Hong Kong: a prospective multicenter study in 2006 to 2008. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;66:87-93 pubmed publisher..4-5.7; P = 0.003) and ciprofloxacin resistance (OR, 2.5; 95% CI, 1.1-5.8; P = 0.03). Knowledge of the resistance data and risk factors could inform better use of antibiotics for empiric therapy for acute uncomplicated cystitis. ..
- Chan F, Lanas A, Scheiman J, Berger M, Nguyen H, Goldstein J. Celecoxib versus omeprazole and diclofenac in patients with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis (CONDOR): a randomised trial. Lancet. 2010;376:173-9 pubmed publisher..We aimed to compare risk of gastrointestinal events associated with celecoxib versus diclofenac slow release plus omeprazole...
- Lui P, Maffulli N, Rolf C, Smith R. What are the validated animal models for tendinopathy?. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2011;21:3-17 pubmed publisher..The existing animal models can be used for answering specific questions (horses for courses) but should not be used to conclude the general aspects of tendinopathy neither in animals nor in human. ..
- Yue W, Lau K, Siu C, Wang M, Yan G, Yiu K, et al. Impact of glycemic control on circulating endothelial progenitor cells and arterial stiffness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2011;10:113 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, DM patients with satisfactory glycemic control had higher levels of circulating EPCs and were associated with lower arterial stiffness. ..
- Dong J, Li Z, Xu R, Chen Y, Luo S, Li Y. Disease severity score could not predict the outcomes in peritoneal dialysis-associated peritonitis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012;27:2496-501 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated that DSS at onset was not associated with prolonged elevation of dialysate white cell counts, severity of causative organisms and outcome of peritonitis episodes in adult PD patients. ..
- Pan C, Lin Y. Overweight, obesity, and age-related cataract: a meta-analysis. Optom Vis Sci. 2014;91:478-83 pubmed publisher..To examine the longitudinal association of overweight/obesity with age-related cataract...
- Zeng W, Li Y, Lu E, Ma M. CYP1A1 rs1048943 and rs4646903 polymorphisms associated with laryngeal cancer susceptibility among Asian populations: a meta-analysis. J Cell Mol Med. 2016;20:287-93 pubmed publisher..These results from the meta-analysis suggest that CYP1A1 rs1048943 and rs4646903 polymorphisms contribute to risk of laryngeal cancer among Asian populations. ..
- Xu L, Wei H. Association between CYP1A1 2454A > G polymorphism and colorectal cancer risk: A meta-analysis. J Cancer Res Ther. 2015;11:760-4 pubmed publisher..This meta-analysis suggests that CYP1A1 2454A > G polymorphism might be associated with susceptibility of CRC and the allele G might increase the CRC risk in Asia and Europe. ..
- Huang Q, Shen B, Zhang Q, Xu H, Zu M, Gu Y, et al. Comparison of Long-Term Outcomes of Endovascular Management for Membranous and Segmental Inferior Vena Cava Obstruction in Patients With Primary Budd-Chiari Syndrome. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:e003104 pubmed publisher..Balloon dilation alone could be the optimal treatment for patients with MOVC. However, stent placement should be more strongly recommended for patients with SOVC. ..
- Zhang L, Tang J, Li Y. [Risk factors for 5-year recurrence of spontaneous symptomatic epileptic seizures in infants and young children]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2016;18:301-5 pubmed..Epileptiform discharges on electroencephalography are the independent risk factor for the recurrence, and thus it is suggested to perform antiepileptic therapy for these children. ..
- Chen X, Zhang C. Foreign body aspiration in children: Focus on the impact of delayed treatment. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;96:111-115 pubmed publisher..02) and longer hospitalization time (HR 2.19, 95% CI 1.23-3.88, P = 0.01). Delayed treatment of FBA is not only related to higher occurrence rate of complication but also associated with longer operation and hospitalization time. ..
- Ding Z, Zhai Y, Wu C, Wu H, Lu Q, Lin J, et al. Infectious diarrheal disease caused by contaminated well water in Chinese schools: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Epidemiol. 2017;27:274-281 pubmed publisher..Chinese government should make efforts to improve access to safe water in schools. Health education promotion and conscientiousness of school leaders and teachers should be enhanced. ..
- Liu S, Chen L, Li L, Zhao J, Cai W, Rou K, et al. Condom use with various types of sex partners by money boys in China. AIDS Educ Prev. 2012;24:163-78 pubmed publisher..Both individual- and venue-level interventions are needed to promote condom use, and mommies need to be included in intervention strategies. ..
- Yang X, Wang Y, Luk A, So W, Ma R, Kong A, et al. Enhancers and attenuators of risk associations of chronic hepatitis B virus infection with hepatocellular carcinoma in type 2 diabetes. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2013;20:161-71 pubmed publisher..05). These findings support our hypothesis that hyperglycemia and co-presence of low LDLC plus low TG might enhance, while insulin or statin usage might attenuate the promoting effect of chronic HBV infection on HCC in T2D. ..
- Chan S, Chow D, Loh E, Wong D, Cheng K, Fung W, et al. Using a community-based outreach program to improve breast health awareness among women in Hong Kong. Public Health Nurs. 2007;24:265-73 pubmed..It appears to be useful in raising the awareness of breast health and BSE practice among the women, but longer term follow-up is required to ascertain its sustainability. ..
- Mak S, Yeo W, Lee Y, Mo K, Tse K, Tse S, et al. Predictors of lymphedema in patients with breast cancer undergoing axillary lymph node dissection in Hong Kong. Nurs Res. 2008;57:416-25 pubmed publisher..Greater BMI is still a risk factor for lymphedema progression even in a lower BMI population. ..
- Wang X, Hu B, Shen H, Zhou H, Xue X, Chen Y, et al. Clinical and prognostic relevance of EZH2 in breast cancer: A meta-analysis. Biomed Pharmacother. 2015;75:218-25 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, EZH2 participated in the progression of BC as a putative factor, and over-expression of EZH2 was distinctly correlated with a poor patient survival. EZH2 may serve as a prognostic biomarker and target in BC patients. ..
- Zhong H, Chen Q, Li J, Shen W, Sheng X, Niu Z, et al. Ethnic Variations in Pterygium in a Rural Population in Southwestern China: The Yunnan Minority Eye Studies. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2016;23:116-21 pubmed publisher..Ethnicity was significantly associated with prevalence of pterygium. Our findings may be applicable to many other countries located within the "pterygium belt" for health resource allocation among different ethnic groups. ..
- Schooling C, Chan W, Leung S, Lam T, Lee S, Shen C, et al. Cohort Profile: Hong Kong Department of Health Elderly Health Service Cohort. Int J Epidemiol. 2016;45:64-72 pubmed publisher..Health services use and deaths have been obtained by record linkage and confirmed, where necessary, by telephone interview. Currently, the data are not publicly available; we would welcome collaborations and research proposals. ..