Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on plant genes in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: plant genes
Publications115 found, 100 shown here
- Jansen R, Kaittanis C, Saski C, Lee S, Tomkins J, Alverson A, et al. Phylogenetic analyses of Vitis (Vitaceae) based on complete chloroplast genome sequences: effects of taxon sampling and phylogenetic methods on resolving relationships among rosids. BMC Evol Biol. 2006;6:32 pubmed..We sequenced the complete chloroplast genome of Vitis vinifera and used these data to assess relationships among 27 angiosperms, including nine taxa of rosids...
- Yang X, Kalluri U, Jawdy S, Gunter L, Yin T, Tschaplinski T, et al. The F-box gene family is expanded in herbaceous annual plants relative to woody perennial plants. Plant Physiol. 2008;148:1189-200 pubmed publisher..This study provides insights into the relationship between the structure and composition of the F-box gene family in herbaceous and woody species and their associated developmental and physiological features. ..
- Wu Y, Bhat P, Close T, Lonardi S. Efficient and accurate construction of genetic linkage maps from the minimum spanning tree of a graph. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000212 pubmed publisher..The software implementing our algorithm is available in the public domain as a web tool under the name MSTmap. ..
- Sood S, Kuraparthy V, Bai G, Gill B. The major threshability genes soft glume (sog) and tenacious glume (Tg), of diploid and polyploid wheat, trace their origin to independent mutations at non-orthologous loci. Theor Appl Genet. 2009;119:341-51 pubmed publisher..Both 2AS and 2DS maps were colinear ruling out the role of chromosome rearrangements for their non-syntenic positions. Therefore, sog and Tg are not true orthologues suggesting the possibility of a diverse origin. ..
- Zhang X, Oppenheimer D. IRREGULAR TRICHOME BRANCH 2 (ITB2) encodes a putative aminophospholipid translocase that regulates trichome branch elongation in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2009;60:195-206 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, itb2/ala3 mutants provide a convenient visible phenotype for further genetic analysis of the ALA family in Arabidopsis. ..
- Klee H. Improving the flavor of fresh fruits: genomics, biochemistry, and biotechnology. New Phytol. 2010;187:44-56 pubmed publisher..However, our knowledge of the regulation of the critical metabolic pathways is still limited. Nonetheless, the pieces are in place for rapid advances to be made in the manipulation of flavor chemistry in the immediate future. ..
- Ainsworth C, Clark J, Balsdon J. Expression, organisation and structure of the genes encoding the waxy protein (granule-bound starch synthase) in wheat. Plant Mol Biol. 1993;22:67-82 pubmed..The protein contains the conserved motif KTGGL found in other waxy proteins and which has been implicated as the active site in glycogen synthase. ..
- Gray J, Close P, Briggs S, Johal G. A novel suppressor of cell death in plants encoded by the Lls1 gene of maize. Cell. 1997;89:25-31 pubmed..Two consensus binding motifs of aromatic ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases are present in the predicted LLS1 protein, suggesting that it may function to degrade a phenolic mediator of cell death. ..
- Hassanain H, Sharma Y, Moldovan L, Khramtsov V, Berliner L, Duvick J, et al. Plant rac proteins induce superoxide production in mammalian cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;272:783-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that in plants, Rac proteins can function as activators of oxidative burst and indicate the remarkable functional and structural conservation of Rho/Rac proteins between plant and animal kingdoms during evolution. ..
- Nobuta K, Lu C, Shrivastava R, Pillay M, De Paoli E, Accerbi M, et al. Distinct size distribution of endogeneous siRNAs in maize: Evidence from deep sequencing in the mop1-1 mutant. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14958-63 pubmed publisher..The enrichment of miRNAs and loss of 24-nt heterochromatic siRNAs in mop1-1 should be advantageous for miRNA discovery as the maize genome becomes more fully sequenced. ..
- Vallejos C, Jones V, Stall R, Jones J, Minsavage G, Schultz D, et al. Characterization of two recessive genes controlling resistance to all races of bacterial spot in peppers. Theor Appl Genet. 2010;121:37-46 pubmed publisher..Allele-specific primers for a PCR-based bs5-marker have been developed to facilitate the genetic manipulation of this gene. ..
- Gianola D, Simianer H, Qanbari S. A two-step method for detecting selection signatures using genetic markers. Genet Res (Camb). 2010;92:141-55 pubmed publisher..Procedures are illustrated with hypothetical data, and with published allelic frequency data for type II diabetes in three human populations, and for 12 isozyme loci in 12 populations of the argan tree in Morocco. ..
- de Vetten N, Lu G, Feri R. A maize protein associated with the G-box binding complex has homology to brain regulatory proteins. Plant Cell. 1992;4:1295-307 pubmed..This suggests a deep evolutionary conservation of a potential regulatory protein associated with a core sequence found in the promoter region of many genes. ..
- Lee K, Huang A. Genes encoding oleosins in maize kernel of inbreds Mo17 and B73. Plant Mol Biol. 1994;26:1981-7 pubmed..ole16 and ole18 have been mapped to single loci on chromosomes 2 (near b1 gene) and 5S (near phya2), respectively. We predict that ole17 is located on chromosome 1 (near phya1), in a chromosomal segment duplicated on chromosome 5. ..
- Noh B, Bandyopadhyay A, Peer W, Spalding E, Murphy A. Enhanced gravi- and phototropism in plant mdr mutants mislocalizing the auxin efflux protein PIN1. Nature. 2003;423:999-1002 pubmed..Lateral auxin conductance becomes relatively larger as a result, enhancing the growth differentials responsible for tropic responses. ..
- Jiao Y, Riechmann J, Meyerowitz E. Transcriptome-wide analysis of uncapped mRNAs in Arabidopsis reveals regulation of mRNA degradation. Plant Cell. 2008;20:2571-85 pubmed publisher..These transcriptome-wide profiles of uncapped mRNAs will aid in illuminating new regulatory mechanisms of eukaryotic transcriptional networks. ..
- Kim S, Kwon S, Saha D, Anyanwu N, Gassmann W. Resistance to the Pseudomonas syringae effector HopA1 is governed by the TIR-NBS-LRR protein RPS6 and is enhanced by mutations in SRFR1. Plant Physiol. 2009;150:1723-32 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, mutations in SRFR1 also enhanced HopA1-triggered immunity in rps6 mutants. In conclusion, the cloning of RPS6 and comparisons with RPS4 will contribute to a closer dissection of the TNL resistance pathway in Arabidopsis. ..
- Peal L, Puckette M, Mahalingam R. Identification of stress-responsive genes in plants using suppression subtraction hybridization: ozone stress as an example. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;639:157-70 pubmed publisher..In this chapter we describe in detail the SSH procedure and explain the subtle changes that have been incorporated to make this technique adaptable for identifying stress-responsive genes in plants. ..
- Kim K, Fisher D, Gao M, Guiltinan M. Genomic organization and promoter activity of the maize starch branching enzyme I gene. Gene. 1998;216:233-43 pubmed..1998 Elsevier Science B.V. ..
- O donnell P, Schmelz E, Moussatche P, Lund S, Jones J, Klee H. Susceptible to intolerance--a range of hormonal actions in a susceptible Arabidopsis pathogen response. Plant J. 2003;33:245-57 pubmed..In contrast to ethylene, accumulation of these hormones was not found to be dependent on SA action. These results indicate that the plants response to a virulent pathogen is a composite of multiple signaling pathways. ..
- Hellmann H, Hobbie L, Chapman A, Dharmasiri S, Dharmasiri N, Del Pozo C, et al. Arabidopsis AXR6 encodes CUL1 implicating SCF E3 ligases in auxin regulation of embryogenesis. EMBO J. 2003;22:3314-25 pubmed..In addition, we show that CUL1 has a role in auxin response throughout the life cycle of the plant. ..
- Kanrar S, Bhattacharya M, Arthur B, Courtier J, Smith H. Regulatory networks that function to specify flower meristems require the function of homeobox genes PENNYWISE and POUND-FOOLISH in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2008;54:924-37 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, results from this study support a model in which PNY and PNF promote LFY expression during reproductive development. At the same time, the flower formation activity of FT is dependent upon the function of PNY and PNF. ..
- Saballos A, Ejeta G, Sanchez E, Kang C, Vermerris W. A genomewide analysis of the cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase family in sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] identifies SbCAD2 as the brown midrib6 gene. Genetics. 2009;181:783-95 pubmed publisher..The modeling revealed unique changes in structure consistent with the observed phenotypes of the mutants...
- Pumphrey M, Bai J, Laudencia Chingcuanco D, Anderson O, Gill B. Nonadditive expression of homoeologous genes is established upon polyploidization in hexaploid wheat. Genetics. 2009;181:1147-57 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that allopolyploidization, per se, results in rapid initiation of differential expression of homoeologous loci and nonadditive gene expression in T. aestivum. ..
- Fahlgren N, Jogdeo S, Kasschau K, Sullivan C, Chapman E, Laubinger S, et al. MicroRNA gene evolution in Arabidopsis lyrata and Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell. 2010;22:1074-89 pubmed publisher..Additionally, target sites of younger miRNA were lost more frequently than for deeply conserved families. In summary, our systematic analyses emphasize the dynamic nature of the MIRNA complement of plant genomes. ..
- Yu X, Michaels S. The Arabidopsis Paf1c complex component CDC73 participates in the modification of FLOWERING LOCUS C chromatin. Plant Physiol. 2010;153:1074-84 pubmed publisher..g. h3k27me3). ..
- Sakai H, Medrano L, Meyerowitz E. Role of SUPERMAN in maintaining Arabidopsis floral whorl boundaries. Nature. 1995;378:199-203 pubmed..The putative SUPERMAN protein contains one zinc-finger and a region resembling a basic leucine zipper motif, suggesting a function in transcriptional regulation. ..
- Buzgo M, Soltis D, Soltis P, Ma H. Towards a comprehensive integration of morphological and genetic studies of floral development. Trends Plant Sci. 2004;9:164-73 pubmed..Taxa occupying key phylogenetic positions offer great potential for generating hypotheses about the regulation of floral development...
- Adamczyk B, Fernandez D. MIKC* MADS domain heterodimers are required for pollen maturation and tube growth in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:1713-23 pubmed publisher..These results were combined to create a model to describe MIKC* heterodimer contributions in pollen. ..
- Lee I, Aukerman M, Gore S, Lohman K, Michaels S, Weaver L, et al. Isolation of LUMINIDEPENDENS: a gene involved in the control of flowering time in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 1994;6:75-83 pubmed..Genomic and cDNA clones of the LD gene were characterized. The predicted amino acid sequence of the LD protein contains 953 residues and includes two putative bipartite nuclear localization signals and a glutamine-rich region. ..
- Warren R, Henk A, Mowery P, Holub E, Innes R. A mutation within the leucine-rich repeat domain of the Arabidopsis disease resistance gene RPS5 partially suppresses multiple bacterial and downy mildew resistance genes. Plant Cell. 1998;10:1439-52 pubmed..The third LRR is relatively well conserved, and we speculate that it may interact with a signal transduction component shared by multiple R gene pathways. ..
- Lu M, Tang X, Zhou J. Arabidopsis NHO1 is required for general resistance against Pseudomonas bacteria. Plant Cell. 2001;13:437-47 pubmed..s. tomato DC3000, but it partially restored the in planta growth of the DC3000 hrpS(-) mutant bacteria. Thus, the virulent bacteria appear to evade or suppress NHO1-mediated resistance by means of an Hrp-dependent virulence mechanism. ..
- Morse A, Whetten R, Dubos C, Campbell M. Post-translational modification of an R2R3-MYB transcription factor by a MAP Kinase during xylem development. New Phytol. 2009;183:1001-13 pubmed publisher..Together, the data support a role for PtMAPK6 during early xylem development and suggest a function for this kinase in regulating gene expression through phosphorylation of PtMYB4. ..
- Schmutz J, Cannon S, Schlueter J, Ma J, Mitros T, Nelson W, et al. Genome sequence of the palaeopolyploid soybean. Nature. 2010;463:178-83 pubmed publisher..An accurate soybean genome sequence will facilitate the identification of the genetic basis of many soybean traits, and accelerate the creation of improved soybean varieties...
- Li Y, Zheng Y, Addo Quaye C, Zhang L, Saini A, Jagadeeswaran G, et al. Transcriptome-wide identification of microRNA targets in rice. Plant J. 2010;62:742-59 pubmed publisher..A closer inspection of these fragments revealed a unique pattern distinct from siRNA-producing loci. This attribute can serve as one of the ancillary criteria for separating miRNAs from siRNAs in plants. ..
- Colasanti J, Yuan Z, Sundaresan V. The indeterminate gene encodes a zinc finger protein and regulates a leaf-generated signal required for the transition to flowering in maize. Cell. 1998;93:593-603 pubmed..These results provide molecular and genetic data consistent with the florigen hypothesis derived from classical plant physiology studies. ..
- Bernhardt C, Tierney M. Expression of AtPRP3, a proline-rich structural cell wall protein from Arabidopsis, is regulated by cell-type-specific developmental pathways involved in root hair formation. Plant Physiol. 2000;122:705-14 pubmed..These results indicate that AtPRP3 is regulated by developmental pathways involved in root hair formation, and are consistent with AtPRP3's contributing to cell wall structure in Arabidopsis root hairs. ..
- Mower J, Stefanovic S, Young G, Palmer J. Plant genetics: gene transfer from parasitic to host plants. Nature. 2004;432:165-6 pubmed..Our findings complement the discovery that genes can be transferred in the opposite direction, from host to parasite plant...
- Makandar R, Essig J, Schapaugh M, Trick H, Shah J. Genetically engineered resistance to Fusarium head blight in wheat by expression of Arabidopsis NPR1. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2006;19:123-9 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that NPR1 is an effective candidate for controlling FHB. ..
- Acharya B, Raina S, Maqbool S, Jagadeeswaran G, Mosher S, Appel H, et al. Overexpression of CRK13, an Arabidopsis cysteine-rich receptor-like kinase, results in enhanced resistance to Pseudomonas syringae. Plant J. 2007;50:488-99 pubmed..Our studies suggest that upregulation of CRK13 leads to hypersensitive response-associated cell death, and induces defense against pathogens by causing increased accumulation of salicylic acid. ..
- Yang S, Tang F, Gao M, Krishnan H, Zhu H. R gene-controlled host specificity in the legume-rhizobia symbiosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:18735-40 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that establishment of a root nodule symbiosis requires the evasion of plant immune responses triggered by rhizobial effectors...
- McCarty D, Hattori T, Carson C, Vasil V, Lazar M, Vasil I. The Viviparous-1 developmental gene of maize encodes a novel transcriptional activator. Cell. 1991;66:895-905 pubmed..Our results indicate that VP1 is a novel transcription factor possibly involved in potentiation of a seed-specific hormone response. ..
- Perrot G, Cone K. Nucleotide sequence of the maize R-S gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:8003 pubmed
- Miao G, Verma D. Soybean nodulin-26 gene encoding a channel protein is expressed only in the infected cells of nodules and is regulated differently in roots of homologous and heterologous plants. Plant Cell. 1993;5:781-94 pubmed..This study demonstrates how a preexisting gene in the root may have been recruited for symbiotic function and brought under nodule-specific developmental control...
- Sablowski R, Meyerowitz E. A homolog of NO APICAL MERISTEM is an immediate target of the floral homeotic genes APETALA3/PISTILLATA. Cell. 1998;92:93-103 pubmed..The expression pattern of NAP and the phenotypes caused by its misexpression suggest that it functions in the transition between growth by cell division and cell expansion in stamens and petals. ..
- Adams K, Daley D, Qiu Y, Whelan J, Palmer J. Repeated, recent and diverse transfers of a mitochondrial gene to the nucleus in flowering plants. Nature. 2000;408:354-7 pubmed
- Sung D, Vierling E, Guy C. Comprehensive expression profile analysis of the Arabidopsis Hsp70 gene family. Plant Physiol. 2001;126:789-800 pubmed
- Greene E, Codomo C, Taylor N, Henikoff J, Till B, Reynolds S, et al. Spectrum of chemically induced mutations from a large-scale reverse-genetic screen in Arabidopsis. Genetics. 2003;164:731-40 pubmed..As expected for alkylation of guanine by EMS, >99% of mutations are G/C-to-A/T transitions. A nearest-neighbor bias around the mutated base pair suggests that mismatch repair counteracts alkylation damage. ..
- Tzafrir I, Pena Muralla R, Dickerman A, Berg M, Rogers R, Hutchens S, et al. Identification of genes required for embryo development in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2004;135:1206-20 pubmed..These candidates should facilitate the recovery of additional genes required for seed development. ..
- Chang S, Lu Y, Rausher M. Neutral evolution of the nonbinding region of the anthocyanin regulatory gene Ipmyb1 in Ipomoea. Genetics. 2005;170:1967-78 pubmed..Our results provide little indication that rapid evolution in this regulatory gene is driven by natural selection or that it is responsible for floral-color differences among Ipomoea species...
- Gowda M, Venu R, Jia Y, Stahlberg E, Pampanwar V, Soderlund C, et al. Use of robust-long serial analysis of gene expression to identify novel fungal and plant genes involved in host-pathogen interactions. Methods Mol Biol. 2007;354:131-44 pubmed..Bioinformatic tools and databases for analyzing the RL-SAGE data were developed. Our results demonstrate that RL-SAGE is an effective approach for large-scale identification of expressed genes in fungal and plant genomes. ..
- Nguyen P, Quesenberry K, Clark D. Genetics of growth habit and development of new coleus (Solenostemon scutellarioides (L.) Codd) varieties with trailing habit and bright color. J Hered. 2008;99:573-80 pubmed publisher..Several new coleus selections with trailing growth habit and orange foliage color were successfully developed...
- Doyle M, Amasino R. A single amino acid change in the enhancer of zeste ortholog CURLY LEAF results in vernalization-independent, rapid flowering in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2009;151:1688-97 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, FRI appears to affect CLF occupancy at FLC; thus, our work provides insight into the molecular role that FRI plays in delaying the onset of flowering. ..
- Robbins M, Wang P, Sekhon R, Chopra S. Gene structure induced epigenetic modifications of pericarp color1 alleles of maize result in tissue-specific mosaicism. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8231 pubmed publisher..We discuss how the modification to the tandem repeats of P1-mm may have disrupted the epigenetic mechanisms that stably confer tissue-specific expression...
- Wawrzynska A, Rodibaugh N, Innes R. Synergistic activation of defense responses in Arabidopsis by simultaneous loss of the GSL5 callose synthase and the EDR1 protein kinase. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2010;23:578-84 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that EDR1 and GSL5 negatively regulate SA and JA production or signaling by independent mechanisms and that negative regulation of defense signaling by GSL5 may be independent of callose production. ..
- Wu K, Rooney M, Ferl R. The Arabidopsis 14-3-3 multigene family. Plant Physiol. 1997;114:1421-31 pubmed..The epsilon forms diverged early from the other plant isoforms, and plant 14-3-3 genes displayed a different evolutionary course from that of mammals. ..
- Lashbrook C, Tieman D, Klee H. Differential regulation of the tomato ETR gene family throughout plant development. Plant J. 1998;15:243-52 pubmed..Furthermore, the abundance of mRNAs for all three LeETR genes remained uniform in multiple plant tissues experiencing marked changes in ethylene sensitivity, including the cell separation layer throughout tomato flower abscission. ..
- Lynn K, Fernandez A, Aida M, Sedbrook J, Tasaka M, Masson P, et al. The PINHEAD/ZWILLE gene acts pleiotropically in Arabidopsis development and has overlapping functions with the ARGONAUTE1 gene. Development. 1999;126:469-81 pubmed..Therefore PINHEAD and ARGONAUTE1 together act to allow wild-type growth and gene expression patterns during embryogenesis. ..
- Henk A, Warren R, Innes R. A new Ac-like transposon of Arabidopsis is associated with a deletion of the RPS5 disease resistance gene. Genetics. 1999;151:1581-9 pubmed..We conclude that loss of RPS5 was caused by a double-strand break and subsequent repair, and cannot be attributed to unequal crossing over between resistance gene homologs. ..
- Doelling J, Yan N, Kurepa J, Walker J, Vierstra R. The ubiquitin-specific protease UBP14 is essential for early embryo development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J. 2001;27:393-405 pubmed..Taken together, the data demonstrate an essential role for the ubiquitin/26S proteasome pathway in general and for AtUBP14 in particular during early plant development. ..
- Just B, Santos C, Fonseca M, Boiteux L, Oloizia B, Simon P. Carotenoid biosynthesis structural genes in carrot (Daucus carota): isolation, sequence-characterization, single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) markers and genome mapping. Theor Appl Genet. 2007;114:693-704 pubmed publisher..The cloning and sequence information of these genes is useful for PCR-based expression studies and may point toward transgenic approaches to manipulate carotenoid content in carrot...
- Robbins M, Sekhon R, Meeley R, Chopra S. A Mutator transposon insertion is associated with ectopic expression of a tandemly repeated multicopy Myb gene pericarp color1 of maize. Genetics. 2008;178:1859-74 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Mu1 insertion interferes with the DNA methylation and related chromatin packaging of P1-wr, thereby inducing expression from gene copy (or copies) that is otherwise suppressed. ..
- Akhtar T, McQuinn R, Naponelli V, Gregory J, Giovannoni J, Hanson A. Tomato gamma-glutamylhydrolases: expression, characterization, and evidence for heterodimer formation. Plant Physiol. 2008;148:775-85 pubmed publisher..Plant GGH heterodimers thus appear to form wherever different GGH genes are expressed simultaneously and to have catalytic characteristics midway between those of the corresponding homodimers. ..
- Park S, Fung P, Nishimura N, Jensen D, Fujii H, Zhao Y, et al. Abscisic acid inhibits type 2C protein phosphatases via the PYR/PYL family of START proteins. Science. 2009;324:1068-71 pubmed publisher..Our results illustrate the power of the chemical genetic approach for sidestepping genetic redundancy. ..
- Marcelino J, Gouli S, Parker B, Skinner M, Schwarzberg L, Giordano R. Host plant associations of an entomopathogenic variety of the fungus, Colletotrichum acutatum, recovered from the elongate hemlock scale, Fiorinia externa. J Insect Sci. 2009;9:25 pubmed publisher..The implications of these findings with respect to the use of this fungus as a biological control agent are discussed...
- Paul A, Ferl R. In vivo footprinting reveals unique cis-elements and different modes of hypoxic induction in maize Adh1 and Adh2. Plant Cell. 1991;3:159-68 pubmed..In contrast, all of the factors bound to the 5'-flanking region of Adh2 are constitutively present and unchanged by hypoxia. There is one footprint site common to both Adh1 and Adh2, but it is not an anaerobic response-like element. ..
- Adams K, Ong H, Palmer J. Mitochondrial gene transfer in pieces: fission of the ribosomal protein gene rpl2 and partial or complete gene transfer to the nucleus. Mol Biol Evol. 2001;18:2289-97 pubmed
- Burke C, Croteau R. Geranyl diphosphate synthase from Abies grandis: cDNA isolation, functional expression, and characterization. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;405:130-6 pubmed
- Wang S, Tiwari S, Hagen G, Guilfoyle T. AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR7 restores the expression of auxin-responsive genes in mutant Arabidopsis leaf mesophyll protoplasts. Plant Cell. 2005;17:1979-93 pubmed..In the presence of auxin, however, brassinolide modestly enhanced auxin-responsive gene expression. ..
- Folta K, Staton M, Stewart P, Jung S, Bies D, Jesdurai C, et al. Expressed sequence tags (ESTs) and simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers from octoploid strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa). BMC Plant Biol. 2005;5:12 pubmed..As a first step to remedy this discrepancy a cDNA library has been developed from salicylate-treated, whole-plant tissues and over 1800 expressed sequence tags (EST's) have been sequenced and analyzed...
- Jeon W, Allard S, Bingman C, Bitto E, Han B, Wesenberg G, et al. X-ray crystal structures of the conserved hypothetical proteins from Arabidopsis thaliana gene loci At5g11950 and AT2g37210. Proteins. 2006;65:1051-4 pubmed
- Kim S, Michaels S. SUPPRESSOR OF FRI 4 encodes a nuclear-localized protein that is required for delayed flowering in winter-annual Arabidopsis. Development. 2006;133:4699-707 pubmed..In suf4 mutants, however, only FLC expression is suppressed. These data are consistent with a model in which SUF4 may act to specifically recruit EFS and the PAF1-like complex to the FLC locus. ..
- Martin N, Bouck A, Arnold M. The genetic architecture of reproductive isolation in Louisiana irises: flowering phenology. Genetics. 2007;175:1803-12 pubmed
- Chung T, Suttangkakul A, Vierstra R. The ATG autophagic conjugation system in maize: ATG transcripts and abundance of the ATG8-lipid adduct are regulated by development and nutrient availability. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:220-34 pubmed publisher..The description of the maize ATG system now provides a battery of molecular and biochemical tools to study autophagy in this crop under field conditions...
- Tsai H, Wang H, Gebler J, Poulter C, Schardl C. The Claviceps purpurea gene encoding dimethylallyltryptophan synthase, the committed step for ergot alkaloid biosynthesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;216:119-25 pubmed..The sequence of dmaW and its cDNA indicated that it encoded a 455 amino acid polypeptide with a predicted molecular mass of 51,824 Da and a putative prenyl diphosphate binding motif...
- Chang C, Kwok S, Bleecker A, Meyerowitz E. Arabidopsis ethylene-response gene ETR1: similarity of product to two-component regulators. Science. 1993;262:539-44 pubmed..The dominant etr1-1 mutant gene conferred ethylene insensitivity to wild-type Arabidopsis plants when introduced by transformation. ..
- McClung C. Regulation of catalases in Arabidopsis. Free Radic Biol Med. 1997;23:489-96 pubmed..CAT1 mRNA abundance is not clock-regulated. ..
- Chen Z, Young T, Ling J, Chang S, Gallie D. Increasing vitamin C content of plants through enhanced ascorbate recycling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:3525-30 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the vitamin C content of plants can be elevated by increasing expression of the enzyme responsible for recycling ascorbate...
- Palaisa K, Morgante M, Williams M, Rafalski A. Contrasting effects of selection on sequence diversity and linkage disequilibrium at two phytoene synthase loci. Plant Cell. 2003;15:1795-806 pubmed..We propose that two independent gain-of-function events associated with insertions into the promoter of the Y1 gene and upregulation of expression in endosperm have been incorporated into yellow maize. ..
- Clark R, Wagler T, Quijada P, Doebley J. A distant upstream enhancer at the maize domestication gene tb1 has pleiotropic effects on plant and inflorescent architecture. Nat Genet. 2006;38:594-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that the large stretches of noncoding DNA that comprise the majority of many plant genomes can be a source of variation affecting gene expression and quantitative phenotypes...
- Chase C. Cytoplasmic male sterility: a window to the world of plant mitochondrial-nuclear interactions. Trends Genet. 2007;23:81-90 pubmed..The molecular cloning of nuclear genes that restore fertility (i.e. restorer-of-fertility genes) has identified genes encoding pentatricopeptide-repeat proteins as key regulators of plant mitochondrial gene expression. ..
- Wang W, Esch J, Shiu S, Agula H, Binder B, Chang C, et al. Identification of important regions for ethylene binding and signaling in the transmembrane domain of the ETR1 ethylene receptor of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2006;18:3429-42 pubmed..These findings yield insight into the structure and function of the EBD and suggest a conserved role of the EBD as a negative regulator of the signal transmitter domain. ..
- Muralla R, Sweeney C, Stepansky A, Leustek T, Meinke D. Genetic dissection of histidine biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2007;144:890-903 pubmed
- Callis J, Raasch J, Vierstra R. Ubiquitin extension proteins of Arabidopsis thaliana. Structure, localization, and expression of their promoters in transgenic tobacco. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:12486-93 pubmed
- Hua J, Chang C, Sun Q, Meyerowitz E. Ethylene insensitivity conferred by Arabidopsis ERS gene. Science. 1995;269:1712-4 pubmed..The altered ERS gene conferred dominant ethylene insensitivity to wild-type Arabidopsis. Double-mutant analysis indicates that ERS acts upstream of the CTR1 protein kinase gene in the ethylene-response pathway. ..