Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in United States
Locale: United States
- Kessler S, Rowe T, Gomos J, Kessler P, Sen G. Physiological non-equivalence of the two isoforms of angiotensin-converting enzyme. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:26259-64 pubmed..Therefore, the requisite physiological functions of the two tissue-specific isozymes of ACE are not interchangeable. ..
- Miura K, Rikihisa Y. Virulence potential of Ehrlichia chaffeensis strains of distinct genome sequences. Infect Immun. 2007;75:3604-13 pubmed..These results revealed distinct virulence phenotypes of E. chaffeensis strains with defined genome sequences...
- Li Y, Putnam Lawson C, Knapp Hoch H, Friel P, Mitchell D, Hively R, et al. Immunolocalization and regulation of cystatin 12 in mouse testis and epididymis. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:872-80 pubmed..These results suggest that androgen and estrogen, probably with other testicular factors, are involved in the regulation of this gene. ..
- Csanaky I, Lu H, Zhang Y, Ogura K, Choudhuri S, Klaassen C. Organic anion-transporting polypeptide 1b2 (Oatp1b2) is important for the hepatic uptake of unconjugated bile acids: Studies in Oatp1b2-null mice. Hepatology. 2011;53:272-81 pubmed publisher..After intravenous administration of cholate to Oatp1b2-null mice, its clearance was 50% lower than in WT mice, but the clearance of taurocholate was similar in the two genotypes...
- Thomsen M, Woldbye D, Wortwein G, Fink Jensen A, Wess J, Caine S. Reduced cocaine self-administration in muscarinic M5 acetylcholine receptor-deficient mice. J Neurosci. 2005;25:8141-9 pubmed..Our results indicate that M5 receptor deletion diminished the reinforcing effects of low doses of cocaine and identified specific conditions under which this may be observed. ..
- Portillo J, Feliciano L, Okenka G, HEINZEL F, Subauste M, Subauste C. CD40 and tumour necrosis factor-? co-operate to up-regulate inducuble nitric oxide synthase expression in macrophages. Immunology. 2012;135:140-50 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that CD40 and TNF-? co-operate to up-regulate NOS2, probably via the effect of TRAF6 and C/EBP?. ..
- McNamara J, Schramm C, Singh A, Secor E, Guernsey L, Lefrancois L, et al. Phenotypic changes to the endogenous antigen-specific CD8+ T cell response correlates with the development and resolution of allergic airway disease. Am J Pathol. 2012;180:1991-2000 pubmed publisher..These B cell aggregates resembled tertiary ectopic lymphoid tissue and may thus provide a local environment for the salient cellular interactions that contribute to the development of LIT...
- Colaizzo Anas T, Aplan P. Cloning and characterization of the SIL promoter. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1625:207-13 pubmed..The isolation of the SIL promoter provides an important tool for the study of both the SIL gene expression as well as the role of the SIL promoter in leukemogenesis. ..
- Wickstrum J, Hong K, Bokhari S, Reed N, McWilliams N, Horvat R, et al. Coactivating signals for the hepatic lymphocyte gamma interferon response to Francisella tularensis. Infect Immun. 2007;75:1335-42 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that cells capable of mounting IFN-gamma responses to F. tularensis are resident within the livers of uninfected mice and depend on coactivation by IL-12 and IL-18 for optimum responses. ..
- Wu Q, Zhu M, Rosier R, Zuscik M, O Keefe R, Chen D. Beta-catenin, cartilage, and osteoarthritis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1192:344-50 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that beta-catenin plays a central role in articular cartilage function and that activation of beta-catenin signaling may represent a pathologic mechanism for OA development. ..
- Li N, Singh S, Cherukuri P, Li H, Yuan Z, Ellisen L, et al. Reciprocal intraepithelial interactions between TP63 and hedgehog signaling regulate quiescence and activation of progenitor elaboration by mammary stem cells. Stem Cells. 2008;26:1253-64 pubmed publisher..These studies support a model in which hedgehog activates elaboration and differentiation of mammary progenitors via differential TP63 promoter selection and forfeiture of self-renewing capacity. ..
- Kurihara L, Semenova E, Levorse J, Tilghman S. Expression and functional analysis of Uch-L3 during mouse development. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2498-504 pubmed..We conclude that the s(1Acrg) phenotype is either complex and multigenic or due to the loss of another gene within the region. We propose that Uch-L3 may be functionally redundant with its homologue Uch-L1. ..
- Monani U, Sendtner M, Coovert D, Parsons D, Andreassi C, Le T, et al. The human centromeric survival motor neuron gene (SMN2) rescues embryonic lethality in Smn(-/-) mice and results in a mouse with spinal muscular atrophy. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:333-9 pubmed..These results show that SMA is caused by insufficient SMN production by the SMN2 gene and that increased expression of the SMN2 gene may provide a strategy for treating SMA patients. ..
- Kampfrath T, Deiuliis J, Moffatt Bruce S, Anderson J, Sun Q, Wood K, et al. A mouse model of yellow fluorescent protein (YFP) expression in hematopoietic cells to assess leukocyte-endothelial interactions in the microcirculation. Microvasc Res. 2009;78:294-300 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data demonstrate the use of c-fms(YFP+) mice in identifying distinct monocyte subsets and highlight the potential of this model for real-time monocyte-endothelial interactions using intravital microscopy. ..
- El Khodor B, Dimmler M, Amara D, Hofer M, Hen R, Brunner D. Juvenile 5HT(1B) receptor knockout mice exhibit reduced pharmacological sensitivity to 5HT(1A) receptor activation. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2004;22:405-13 pubmed
- Adams M, Anderson K, Froehner S. The alpha-syntrophin PH and PDZ domains scaffold acetylcholine receptors, utrophin, and neuronal nitric oxide synthase at the neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2010;30:11004-10 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the PH1 and PDZ domains of alpha-syntrophin work in concert to facilitate the localization of AChRs and nNOS at the NMJ. ..
- Hu C, Chandra R, Ge H, Pain J, Yan L, Babu G, et al. Adenylyl cyclase type 5 protein expression during cardiac development and stress. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;297:H1776-82 pubmed publisher..Thus this new AC5 antibody demonstrated that this AC isoform behaves similarly to fetal type genes, such as atrial natriuretic peptide; i.e., it declines with development and increases with pressure-overload hypertrophy...
- Davoodi Semiromi A, Wasserfall C, Xia C, Cooper Dehoff R, Wabitsch M, Clare Salzler M, et al. The tyrphostin agent AG490 prevents and reverses type 1 diabetes in NOD mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36079 pubmed publisher..The use of such agents, given their extensive safety profiles, provides a strong foundation for their translation to humans with or at increased risk for the disease. ..
- Qiu Y, Shil P, Zhu P, Yang H, Verma A, Lei B, et al. Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) activator diminazene aceturate ameliorates endotoxin-induced uveitis in mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:3809-18 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of endogenous ACE2 activation in preventing endotoxin-induced uveitis (EIU) in mice...
- Rojnuckarin P, Miyakawa Y, Fox N, Deou J, Daum G, Kaushansky K. The roles of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and protein kinase Czeta for thrombopoietin-induced mitogen-activated protein kinase activation in primary murine megakaryocytes. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41014-22 pubmed..These data demonstrate a novel role of PI3K and PKCzeta in steady-state megakaryopoiesis. ..
- Wagner C, Pfau J, de Vries G, Merchenthaler I. Sex differences in progesterone receptor immunoreactivity in neonatal mouse brain depend on estrogen receptor alpha expression. J Neurobiol. 2001;47:176-82 pubmed
- Smith C, Gruss H, Davis T, Anderson D, Farrah T, Baker E, et al. CD30 antigen, a marker for Hodgkin's lymphoma, is a receptor whose ligand defines an emerging family of cytokines with homology to TNF. Cell. 1993;73:1349-60 pubmed..The human and murine genes map to 9q33 and the proximal region of chromosome 4, respectively. ..
- Conklin M, Powers P, Gregg R, Coronado R. Ca2+ sparks in embryonic mouse skeletal muscle selectively deficient in dihydropyridine receptor alpha1S or beta1a subunits. Biophys J. 1999;76:657-69 pubmed..However, excitation-contraction coupling is not essential for Ca2+ spark formation in these cells. ..
- Rajan D, Chinnadurai R, Keefe E, Boyoglu Barnum S, Todd S, Hartert T, et al. Protective role of Indoleamine 2,3 dioxygenase in Respiratory Syncytial Virus associated immune response in airway epithelial cells. Virology. 2017;512:144-150 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show IDO is upregulated with RSV infection and this upregulation likely participates with IFN-? in inhibition of virus replication and suppression of some host cell responses to infection. ..
- Ho A, Shen F, Conti H, Patel N, Childs E, Peterson A, et al. IL-17RC is required for immune signaling via an extended SEF/IL-17R signaling domain in the cytoplasmic tail. J Immunol. 2010;185:1063-70 pubmed publisher..Insight into the mechanisms by which IL-17RC signals helps shed light on IL-17-dependent inflammatory responses and may ultimately provide an avenue for therapeutic intervention in IL-17-mediated diseases...
- Ding L, Zhang L, Kim M, Byzova T, Podrez E. Akt3 kinase suppresses pinocytosis of low-density lipoprotein by macrophages via a novel WNK/SGK1/Cdc42 protein pathway. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9283-9293 pubmed publisher..Individual suppression of WNK1 expression, SGK1, or Cdc42 activity in Akt3-deficient macrophages rescued the phenotype. These results demonstrate that Akt3 is a specific negative regulator of macropinocytosis in macrophages. ..
- Pritchard M, Nagy L. Hepatic fibrosis is enhanced and accompanied by robust oval cell activation after chronic carbon tetrachloride administration to Egr-1-deficient mice. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:2743-52 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data reveal novel roles for Egr-1 as a negative regulator of both CCl(4)-induced hepatic fibrosis and the oval cell response. ..
- Zhang H, Means S, Schultz A, Watanabe Smith K, Medeiros B, Bottomly D, et al. Unpaired Extracellular Cysteine Mutations of CSF3R Mediate Gain or Loss of Function. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4258-4267 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(16); 4258-67. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Liu Q, Sundar K, Mishra P, Mousavi G, Liu Z, Gaydo A, et al. Helminth infection can reduce insulitis and type 1 diabetes through CD25- and IL-10-independent mechanisms. Infect Immun. 2009;77:5347-58 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that infection with H. polygyrus significantly inhibits T1D in NOD mice through CD25- and IL-10-independent mechanisms and also reduces the severity of T1D when administered late after the onset of insulitis...
- Tian W, Cohen D. Urea inhibits hypertonicity-inducible TonEBP expression and action. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2001;280:F904-12 pubmed..Taken together, these data 1) define a molecular mechanism of urea-mediated inhibition of tonicity-dependent signaling, and 2) underscore a role for TonEBP abundance in regulating TonE-mediated gene transcription...
- Schartner J, Singh A, Dahlberg P, Nettenstrom L, Seroogy C. Recurrent superantigen exposure in vivo leads to highly suppressive CD4+CD25+ and CD4+CD25- T cells with anergic and suppressive genetic signatures. Clin Exp Immunol. 2009;155:348-56 pubmed publisher..These data provide a novel paradigm for chronic non-canonical T cell receptor engagement leading to highly suppressive FoxP3(+)GRAIL(+)CD4(+) T cells. ..
- Vale Cruz D, Ma Q, Syme J, LUVALLE P. Activating transcription factor-2 affects skeletal growth by modulating pRb gene expression. Mech Dev. 2008;125:843-56 pubmed publisher..ATF-2 regulates expression of pRb within the developing growth plate, contributing to the skeletal phenotype of ATF-2 mutant mice through the regulation of chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Koshiba T, Detmer S, Kaiser J, Chen H, McCaffery J, Chan D. Structural basis of mitochondrial tethering by mitofusin complexes. Science. 2004;305:858-62 pubmed..Consistent with this proposal, truncated mitofusin, in an HR2-dependent manner, causes mitochondria to become apposed with a uniform gap. Our results suggest that HR2 functions as a mitochondrial tether before fusion. ..
- Donthi R, Ye G, Wu C, McClain D, Lange A, Epstein P. Cardiac expression of kinase-deficient 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase/fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase inhibits glycolysis, promotes hypertrophy, impairs myocyte function, and reduces insulin sensitivity. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:48085-90 pubmed..In addition, metabolic and signaling responses to insulin were significantly decreased. ..
- Dufner Beattie J, Kuo Y, Gitschier J, Andrews G. The adaptive response to dietary zinc in mice involves the differential cellular localization and zinc regulation of the zinc transporters ZIP4 and ZIP5. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49082-90 pubmed..In contrast, during periods of dietary zinc deficiency when secretion of zinc by the pancreas and intestine is minimized, ZIP5 is removed from the cell surface, and the intestinal uptake of zinc is augmented by induction of ZIP4. ..
- Freel R, Whittamore J, Hatch M. Transcellular oxalate and Cl- absorption in mouse intestine is mediated by the DRA anion exchanger Slc26a3, and DRA deletion decreases urinary oxalate. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2013;305:G520-7 pubmed publisher..The large reductions in urinary oxalate excretion underscore the importance of transcellular intestinal oxalate absorption, in general, and, more specifically, the importance of the DRA exchanger in oxalate homeostasis. ..
- Lee H, Zeng S, Lu H. UV Induces p21 rapid turnover independently of ubiquitin and Skp2. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:26876-83 pubmed..Altogether, these results demonstrate that UV induces p21 degradation through an Skp2 and ubiquitin-independent pathway. ..
- Niedowicz D, Beckett T, Holler C, Weidner A, Murphy M. APP(DeltaNL695) expression in murine tissue downregulates CNBP expression. Neurosci Lett. 2010;482:57-61 pubmed publisher..This effect does not appear to be due to alterations in CNBP transcription. APP(Swe) expression may provide a tool for the study of CNBP regulation and clues to the roles of both proteins in disease. ..
- Loiselle A, Bragdon G, Jacobson J, Hasslund S, Cortes Z, Schwarz E, et al. Remodeling of murine intrasynovial tendon adhesions following injury: MMP and neotendon gene expression. J Orthop Res. 2009;27:833-40 pubmed publisher..The murine model of primary tendon repair, described here, provides a novel mechanism to study the tendon healing process, and further enhances the understanding of this process at the molecular, cellular, and biomechanical level. ..
- Morrison K, Miesegaes G, Lumpkin E, Maricich S. Mammalian Merkel cells are descended from the epidermal lineage. Dev Biol. 2009;336:76-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, mammalian Merkel cells are derived from the skin lineage. ..
- Singh U, Singh S, Singh R, Karls R, Quinn F, Potter M, et al. Influence of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis on colitis development and specific immune responses during disease. Infect Immun. 2007;75:3722-8 pubmed..The data suggest a plausible mechanism of Ag-specific T-cell responses in colitis driven by potent Ags conserved in Mycobacterium species. ..
- Brown M, Cary L, Jamieson J, Cooper J, Turner C. Src and FAK kinases cooperate to phosphorylate paxillin kinase linker, stimulate its focal adhesion localization, and regulate cell spreading and protrusiveness. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4316-28 pubmed
- Fenton R, Molesworth Kenyon S, Oakes J, Lausch R. Linkage of IL-6 with neutrophil chemoattractant expression in virus-induced ocular inflammation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:737-43 pubmed
- Bhattacharya S, Rockwood E, Smith S, Bonilha V, Crabb J, Kuchtey R, et al. Proteomics reveal Cochlin deposits associated with glaucomatous trabecular meshwork. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:6080-4 pubmed
- Papay R, Zuscik M, Ross S, Yun J, McCune D, Gonzalez Cabrera P, et al. Mice expressing the alpha(1B)-adrenergic receptor induces a synucleinopathy with excessive tyrosine nitration but decreased phosphorylation. J Neurochem. 2002;83:623-34 pubmed..We conclude that overexpression of the alpha(1B)-AR can cause a synucleinopathy similar to other parkinsonian syndromes. ..
- Rybaczyk L, Bashaw M, Pathak D, Huang K. An indicator of cancer: downregulation of monoamine oxidase-A in multiple organs and species. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:134 pubmed publisher..Future studies should investigate links between MAO-A suppression and the development of cancer to determine the extent that MAO-A suppression contributes to increased cancer risk. ..
- Wu K, Khan S, Lakhe Reddy S, Wang L, Jarad G, Miller R, et al. Renal tubular epithelial cell apoptosis is associated with caspase cleavage of the NHE1 Na+/H+ exchanger. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;284:F829-39 pubmed..We conclude that NHE1 activity is critical for RTC survival after injury and that caspase cleavage of RTC NHE1 may promote apoptosis and tubular atrophy by preventing compensatory intracellular volume and pH regulation. ..
- Urban M, Pan P, Farmer K, Zhao H, Blagg B, Dobrowsky R. Modulating molecular chaperones improves sensory fiber recovery and mitochondrial function in diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Exp Neurol. 2012;235:388-96 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, KU-32 improved physiological and morphologic markers of degenerative neuropathy and drug efficacy may be related to enhanced mitochondrial bioenergetics in sensory neurons. ..
- Jell J, Merali S, Hensen M, Mazurchuk R, Spernyak J, Diegelman P, et al. Genetically altered expression of spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase affects fat metabolism in mice via acetyl-CoA. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8404-13 pubmed
- Hanson J, Hurley L. Female presence and estrous state influence mouse ultrasonic courtship vocalizations. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40782 pubmed publisher..These findings show that mouse ultrasonic courtship vocalizations are sensitive to changes in female phase and presence, further demonstrating the context-sensitivity of these calls. ..
- Noor S, Habashy A, Nance J, Clark R, Nemati K, Carson M, et al. CCR7-dependent immunity during acute Toxoplasma gondii infection. Infect Immun. 2010;78:2257-63 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate an absolute requirement for T-cell expression of CCR7 for the generation of protective immune responses to Toxoplasma infection. ..
- James L, Le C, Doherty H, Kim H, Maeda N. Connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) expression modulates response to high glucose. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70441 pubmed publisher..We conclude that induction of Ctgf mediates expression of extracellular matrix proteins in diabetic kidney. Thus, genetic variability in CTGF expression directly modulates the severity of diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Sefah K, Bae K, Phillips J, Siemann D, Su Z, McClellan S, et al. Cell-based selection provides novel molecular probes for cancer stem cells. Int J Cancer. 2013;132:2578-88 pubmed publisher..The discovery of the molecular targets of these aptamers could reveal novel CSC biomarkers. ..
- Schmidt L, Duncan K, Yadav N, Regan K, Verone A, Lohse C, et al. RhoA as a mediator of clinically relevant androgen action in prostate cancer cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2012;26:716-35 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies demonstrate that the RhoA signaling axis mediates clinically relevant AR action in PCa. ..
- Hebbar S, Guillotte A, Mesngon M, Zhou Q, Wynshaw Boris A, Smith D. Genetic enhancement of the Lis1+/- phenotype by a heterozygous mutation in the adenomatous polyposis coli gene. Dev Neurosci. 2008;30:157-70 pubmed..Together, our findings point to a previously unknown interaction between APC and Lis1 during mammalian brain development. ..
- Howard P, Jue S, Ransom D, Maurer R. Regulation of LIM-domain-binding 1 protein expression by ubiquitination of Lys134. Biochem J. 2010;429:127-36 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence that modification of Lys134 can play a major role in regulating LDB1 expression. ..