Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on flowers in United States
Locale: United States
- Vaughn K, McClain C, Carrier D, Wallace S, King J, Nagarajan S, et al. Effect of Albizia julibrissin water extracts on low-density lipoprotein oxidization. J Agric Food Chem. 2007;55:4704-9 pubmed..In summary, A. julibrissin biomass can be extracted with 50 degrees C water to yield an antioxidant stream, showing that it may be possible to couple extraction of valuable phytochemicals to the cellulosic pretreatment step...
- Kelly J. Epistasis in monkeyflowers. Genetics. 2005;171:1917-31 pubmed..The results for these traits suggest that epistatic effects are variable across genetic backgrounds or sets of interacting loci. ..
- Delph L, Andicoechea J, Steven J, Herlihy C, Scarpino S, Bell D. Environment-dependent intralocus sexual conflict in a dioecious plant. New Phytol. 2011;192:542-52 pubmed publisher..Resolution of such conflict is likely to be confounded, given that specific leaf area is highly genetically integrated with other traits that are also divergent between the sexes. ..
- Noh Y, Bizzell C, Noh B, Schomburg F, Amasino R. EARLY FLOWERING 5 acts as a floral repressor in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2004;38:664-72 pubmed..elf5 mutations also partially suppress photoperiod-pathway mutants, and this, along with the ability of elf5 mutations to cause early flowering in short days, indicates that ELF5 also affects flowering independently of FLC. ..
- Smith H, Ung N, Lal S, Courtier J. Specification of reproductive meristems requires the combined function of SHOOT MERISTEMLESS and floral integrators FLOWERING LOCUS T and FD during Arabidopsis inflorescence development. J Exp Bot. 2011;62:583-93 pubmed publisher..Lastly, gene expression studies indicate that STM functions with FT-FD and AGAMOUS-LIKE 24 (AGL24)-SUPPRESSOR OF OVEREXPRESSION OF CONTANS1 (SOC1) complexes to up-regulate flower meristem identity genes during inflorescence development. ..
- Nojima S, Linn C, Roelofs W. Identification of host fruit volatiles from flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) attractive to dogwood-origin Rhagoletis pomonella flies. J Chem Ecol. 2003;29:2347-57 pubmed
- Nag A, Yang Y, Jack T. DORNROSCHEN-LIKE, an AP2 gene, is necessary for stamen emergence in Arabidopsis. Plant Mol Biol. 2007;65:219-32 pubmed..Analysis of both the drnl-2 mutant phenotype and the DRNL expression pattern in flowers suggests that DRNL plays a critical role in stamen emergence in Arabidopsis. ..
- Xu W, Jacob M, Agarwal A, Clark A, Liang Z, Li X. Verbesinosides A-F, 15,27-cyclooleanane saponins from the American native plant Verbesina virginica. J Nat Prod. 2009;72:1022-7 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of triterpenoid saponins possessing the unique 15,27-cyclooleanane skeleton. The anisotropic effects of the aromatic acyl moieties on the triterpenoid skeleton are discussed...
- Ung N, Lal S, Smith H. The role of PENNYWISE and POUND-FOOLISH in the maintenance of the shoot apical meristem in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2011;156:605-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we propose that PNY and PNF act to restrict organogenesis to the PZ by maintaining a boundary between the CZ and PZ. ..
- Ha C, Jun J, Fletcher J. Shoot apical meristem form and function. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2010;91:103-40 pubmed publisher..These advances are becoming integrated with data from traditional molecular genetics methodologies to develop a framework for understanding the central principles of SAM function. ..
- Dexter R, Qualley A, Kish C, Ma C, Koeduka T, Nagegowda D, et al. Characterization of a petunia acetyltransferase involved in the biosynthesis of the floral volatile isoeugenol. Plant J. 2007;49:265-75 pubmed..Overall, these data support the conclusion that coniferyl acetate is the substrate of isoeugenol synthase...
- Scoville A, Lee Y, Willis J, Kelly J. Explaining the heritability of an ecologically significant trait in terms of individual quantitative trait loci. Biol Lett. 2011;7:896-8 pubmed publisher..Variation at these loci is probably maintained by some form of balancing selection. Notably, the largest effect QTLs were relatively minor in their contribution to heritability...
- Blackman B, Strasburg J, Raduski A, Michaels S, Rieseberg L. The role of recently derived FT paralogs in sunflower domestication. Curr Biol. 2010;20:629-35 pubmed publisher..Our findings also illustrate the important role that evolving interactions between new gene family members may play in fostering phenotypic change...
- Nole Wilson S, Krizek B. AINTEGUMENTA contributes to organ polarity and regulates growth of lateral organs in combination with YABBY genes. Plant Physiol. 2006;141:977-87 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that ANT acts with FIL to up-regulate expression of the floral homeotic gene APETALA3. Our work defines new roles for ANT in the development of lateral organs. ..
- Xiong Y, DeFraia C, Williams D, Zhang X, Mou Z. Deficiency in a cytosolic ribose-5-phosphate isomerase causes chloroplast dysfunction, late flowering and premature cell death in Arabidopsis. Physiol Plant. 2009;137:249-63 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that a deficiency in the non-oxidative phase of the cytosolic oxPPP has pleiotropic effects on plant growth and development and causes premature cell death. ..
- Bezerra I, Michaels S, Schomburg F, Amasino R. Lesions in the mRNA cap-binding gene ABA HYPERSENSITIVE 1 suppress FRIGIDA-mediated delayed flowering in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2004;40:112-9 pubmed..The abh1 lesion affects several developmental processes, perhaps because the processing of certain mRNAs in these pathways is more sensitive to loss of cap-binding activity than the majority of cellular mRNAs. ..
- Somers D, Kim W, Geng R. The F-box protein ZEITLUPE confers dosage-dependent control on the circadian clock, photomorphogenesis, and flowering time. Plant Cell. 2004;16:769-82 pubmed..We also demonstrate that ZTL-dependent delay of flowering is mediated through decreases in CONSTANS and FLOWERING LOCUS T message levels, thus directly linking proteasome-dependent proteolysis to flowering. ..
- Kim D, Sung S. Coordination of the vernalization response through a VIN3 and FLC gene family regulatory network in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2013;25:454-69 pubmed publisher..Our results show that these two gene families cooperated during the course of evolution to ensure proper vernalization response through epigenetic changes. ..
- Yang Y, Xiang H, Jack T. pistillata-5, an Arabidopsis B class mutant with strong defects in petal but not in stamen development. Plant J. 2003;33:177-88 pubmed..The decreased concentration of PI/AP3/SEP complexes offers an explanation for the petal defects observed in both pi-5 and 35S::SEP3 antisense plants. ..
- Wright G, Skinner B, Smith B. Ability of honeybee, Apis mellifera, to detect and discriminate odors of varieties of canola (Brassica rapa and Brassica napus) and snapdragon flowers (Antirrhinum majus). J Chem Ecol. 2002;28:721-40 pubmed..Our study suggests that both intensity and odor quality affect the ability of honeybees to differentiate among floral perfumes...
- Schomburg F, Bizzell C, Lee D, Zeevaart J, Amasino R. Overexpression of a novel class of gibberellin 2-oxidases decreases gibberellin levels and creates dwarf plants. Plant Cell. 2003;15:151-63 pubmed
- Krizek B, Eaddy M. AINTEGUMENTA-LIKE6 regulates cellular differentiation in flowers. Plant Mol Biol. 2012;78:199-209 pubmed publisher..In contrast, ant ail6 double mutants display premature differentiation of floral meristem cells. These results indicate that these two transcription factors regulate both proliferation and differentiation in flowers. ..
- ..Work in Arabidopsis suggests that many independent pathways regulate floral organ growth via effects on cell proliferation and/or cell expansion. ..
- Kim D, Sung S. The Plant Homeo Domain finger protein, VIN3-LIKE 2, is necessary for photoperiod-mediated epigenetic regulation of the floral repressor, MAF5. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:17029-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, the repression of MAF5 by VIL2 provides a mechanism to promote flowering in noninductive photoperiods, which contributes to the facultative nature of the Arabidopsis photoperiodic response. ..
- Chu H, Chiecko J, Punshon T, Lanzirotti A, Lahner B, Salt D, et al. Successful reproduction requires the function of Arabidopsis Yellow Stripe-Like1 and Yellow Stripe-Like3 metal-nicotianamine transporters in both vegetative and reproductive structures. Plant Physiol. 2010;154:197-210 pubmed publisher..In particular, neither AtYSL1 nor AtYSL2 is able to functionally complement the reproductive defects exhibited by ysl1ysl3 double mutant plants. ..
- Ruppel N, Kropp K, Davis P, Martin A, Luesse D, Hangarter R. Mutations in GERANYLGERANYL DIPHOSPHATE SYNTHASE 1 affect chloroplast development in Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). Am J Bot. 2013;100:2074-84 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that GGPS1 is a key gene in the chlorophyll biosynthetic pathway. ..
- Reyes Olalde J, Zúñiga Mayo V, Serwatowska J, Chávez Montes R, Lozano Sotomayor P, Herrera Ubaldo H, et al. The bHLH transcription factor SPATULA enables cytokinin signaling, and both activate auxin biosynthesis and transport genes at the medial domain of the gynoecium. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006726 pubmed publisher..This study provides novel insights in the spatiotemporal determination of the cytokinin signaling pattern and its connection to the auxin pathway in the young gynoecium. ..
- Mandaokar A, Thines B, Shin B, Lange B, Choi G, Koo Y, et al. Transcriptional regulators of stamen development in Arabidopsis identified by transcriptional profiling. Plant J. 2006;46:984-1008 pubmed..Together with the data from transcriptional profiling, these results indicate that MYB21 and MYB24 are induced by jasmonate and mediate important aspects of the jasmonate response during stamen development. ..
- Park S, Lord E. Expression studies of SCA in lily and confirmation of its role in pollen tube adhesion. Plant Mol Biol. 2003;51:183-9 pubmed..For further proof of its role in pollen tube adhesion the activity of Escherichia coli-expressed protein has been studied in an in vitro adhesion assay system. ..
- Krizek B. AINTEGUMENTA and AINTEGUMENTA-LIKE6 act redundantly to regulate Arabidopsis floral growth and patterning. Plant Physiol. 2009;150:1916-29 pubmed publisher..These results show that ANT and AIL6 are important regulators of floral growth and patterning and that they may act downstream of auxin in these processes. ..
- Sohn E, Rojas Pierce M, Pan S, Carter C, Serrano Mislata A, Madueño F, et al. The shoot meristem identity gene TFL1 is involved in flower development and trafficking to the protein storage vacuole. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:18801-6 pubmed..TFL1 localizes to endomembrane compartments and colocalizes with the putative delta-subunit of the AP-3 adapter complex. Our results suggest a developmental role for the PSV in vegetative tissues. ..
- Martin N, Sapir Y, Arnold M. The genetic architecture of reproductive isolation in Louisiana irises: pollination syndromes and pollinator preferences. Evolution. 2008;62:740-52 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study reflects the possible role of quantitative genetic factors in determining (1) reproductive isolation, (2) the pattern of pollinator-mediated genetic exchange, and thus (3) hybrid zone evolution...
- Stacey M, Patel A, McClain W, Mathieu M, Remley M, Rogers E, et al. The Arabidopsis AtOPT3 protein functions in metal homeostasis and movement of iron to developing seeds. Plant Physiol. 2008;146:589-601 pubmed..AtOPT3, therefore, plays a critical role in two important aspects of iron metabolism, namely, maintenance of whole-plant iron homeostasis and iron nutrition of developing seeds. ..
- Edwards J, Whitaker D, Klionsky S, Laskowski M. Botany: a record-breaking pollen catapult. Nature. 2005;435:164 pubmed..Our high-speed video observations show that the flower opens in less than 0.5 ms--to our knowledge, the fastest movement so far recorded in a plant...
- Soper Gorden N, Adler L. Abiotic conditions affect floral antagonists and mutualists of Impatiens capensis (Balsaminaceae). Am J Bot. 2013;100:679-89 pubmed publisher..Species interactions could enhance or reduce the direct effects of abiotic factors, depending on how mutualists and antagonists respond to abiotic conditions...
- Atkinson C, Davies M, Taylor J, Longbottom H. Linking ascorbic acid production in Ribes nigrum with fruit development and changes in sources and sinks. Ann Bot. 2013;111:703-12 pubmed publisher..The aim was to understand the importance of leaf tissue in the production of l-AsA and to determine how this might provide routes for the manipulation of fruit tissue l-AsA...
- Richardson S. Are nectar-robbers mutualists or antagonists?. Oecologia. 2004;139:246-54 pubmed..Overall, this study indicates that nectar-robbers were not often costly to plants, and sometimes even benefited plants. ..
- He Y, Doyle M, Amasino R. PAF1-complex-mediated histone methylation of FLOWERING LOCUS C chromatin is required for the vernalization-responsive, winter-annual habit in Arabidopsis. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2774-84 pubmed..A model of the role of ELF7, ELF8, and other previously described genes in the modification of the chromatin of flowering repressors is presented. ..
- Liu X, Kim Y, Muller R, Yumul R, Liu C, Pan Y, et al. AGAMOUS terminates floral stem cell maintenance in Arabidopsis by directly repressing WUSCHEL through recruitment of Polycomb Group proteins. Plant Cell. 2011;23:3654-70 pubmed publisher..Our studies identify core components of the network governing the temporal program of floral stem cells...
- Underwood B, Tieman D, Shibuya K, Dexter R, Loucas H, Simkin A, et al. Ethylene-regulated floral volatile synthesis in petunia corollas. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:255-66 pubmed..These results implicate PhBSMT1 and 2 as genes responsible for synthesis of methylbenzoate in petunia...
- Dong J, Kim S, Lord E. Plantacyanin plays a role in reproduction in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:778-89 pubmed..In some rare cases, pollen tubes circled up the papilla cell away from the style and were arrested there. We propose that when plantacyanin levels in the stigma are increased, pollen tube guidance into the style is disrupted. ..
- Kanrar S, Bhattacharya M, Arthur B, Courtier J, Smith H. Regulatory networks that function to specify flower meristems require the function of homeobox genes PENNYWISE and POUND-FOOLISH in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2008;54:924-37 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, results from this study support a model in which PNY and PNF promote LFY expression during reproductive development. At the same time, the flower formation activity of FT is dependent upon the function of PNY and PNF. ..
- Moon J, Zhao Y, Dai X, Zhang W, Gray W, Huq E, et al. A new CULLIN 1 mutant has altered responses to hormones and light in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2007;143:684-96 pubmed..Characterization of weak cul1 mutants provides insight into the role of SCFs throughout plant growth and development. ..
- Martin N, Willis J. Ecological divergence associated with mating system causes nearly complete reproductive isolation between sympatric Mimulus species. Evolution. 2007;61:68-82 pubmed
- Yoo M, Chanderbali A, Altman N, Soltis P, Soltis D. Evolutionary trends in the floral transcriptome: insights from one of the basalmost angiosperms, the water lily Nuphar advena (Nymphaeaceae). Plant J. 2010;64:687-98 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the genetic regulation of more spatially discrete transcriptional programs underlies the evolution of floral morphology...
- Kim D, Zografos B, Sung S. Mechanisms underlying vernalization-mediated VIN3 induction in Arabidopsis. Plant Signal Behav. 2010;5:1457-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, dynamic changes in histone modifications at VIN3 chromatin are observed during the course of vernalization. Thus, mechanisms underlying the induction of VIN3 include changes at the level of chromatin. ..
- Jiao Y, Meyerowitz E. Cell-type specific analysis of translating RNAs in developing flowers reveals new levels of control. Mol Syst Biol. 2010;6:419 pubmed publisher..Finally, we identified a new class of noncoding RNAs associated with polysomes. Findings from our profiling lead to new hypotheses in the understanding of flower development...
- Chae K, Gonong B, Kim S, Kieslich C, Morikis D, Balasubramanian S, et al. A multifaceted study of stigma/style cysteine-rich adhesin (SCA)-like Arabidopsis lipid transfer proteins (LTPs) suggests diversified roles for these LTPs in plant growth and reproduction. J Exp Bot. 2010;61:4277-90 pubmed publisher..LTP6 was specifically expressed in the tip of the cotyledon under drought stress conditions. The results suggest that SCA-like Arabidopsis LTPs are multifunctional, with diversified roles in plant growth and reproduction. ..
- Dinh T, Girke T, Liu X, Yant L, Schmid M, Chen X. The floral homeotic protein APETALA2 recognizes and acts through an AT-rich sequence element. Development. 2012;139:1978-86 pubmed publisher..It also sets the foundation for understanding the basis of the broad biological functions of AP2 in Arabidopsis, as well as the divergent biological functions of AP2 orthologs in dicotyledonous plants. ..
- Ni W, Xie D, Hobbie L, Feng B, Zhao D, Akkara J, et al. Regulation of flower development in Arabidopsis by SCF complexes. Plant Physiol. 2004;134:1574-85 pubmed..These results suggest that SCF complexes regulate several aspects of floral development in Arabidopsis. ..
- Ohno C, Reddy G, Heisler M, Meyerowitz E. The Arabidopsis JAGGED gene encodes a zinc finger protein that promotes leaf tissue development. Development. 2004;131:1111-22 pubmed..Thus, JAG is necessary for proper lateral organ shape and is sufficient to induce the proliferation of lateral organ tissue. ..
- Xu X, Rose A, Muthuswamy S, Jeong S, Venkatakrishnan S, Zhao Q, et al. NUCLEAR PORE ANCHOR, the Arabidopsis homolog of Tpr/Mlp1/Mlp2/megator, is involved in mRNA export and SUMO homeostasis and affects diverse aspects of plant development. Plant Cell. 2007;19:1537-48 pubmed
- Piwarzyk E, Yang Y, Jack T. Conserved C-terminal motifs of the Arabidopsis proteins APETALA3 and PISTILLATA are dispensable for floral organ identity function. Plant Physiol. 2007;145:1495-505 pubmed..We conclude that the euAP3 and PI-derived motifs of AP3 and the PI motif of PI are not essential for floral organ identity function of AP3 and PI in Arabidopsis. ..
- Connolly E, Campbell N, Grotz N, Prichard C, Guerinot M. Overexpression of the FRO2 ferric chelate reductase confers tolerance to growth on low iron and uncovers posttranscriptional control. Plant Physiol. 2003;133:1102-10 pubmed..Finally, the 35S-FRO2 plants grow better on low iron as compared with wild-type plants, supporting the idea that reduction of ferric iron to ferrous iron is the rate-limiting step in iron uptake. ..
- Tan B, Joseph L, Deng W, Liu L, Li Q, Cline K, et al. Molecular characterization of the Arabidopsis 9-cis epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase gene family. Plant J. 2003;35:44-56 pubmed..In addition, differential membrane-binding capacity of AtNCEDs is a potential means of post-translational regulation of NCED activity. ..