Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bone morphogenetic proteins in Japan
Topic: bone morphogenetic proteins
- Takeda M, Mizuide M, Oka M, Watabe T, Inoue H, Suzuki H, et al. Interaction with Smad4 is indispensable for suppression of BMP signaling by c-Ski. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:963-72 pubmed..We also found that c-Ski interacted with Smad3 or Smad4 without disrupting Smad3-Smad4 heteromer formation. c-Ski (ARPG) would be useful for selectively suppressing TGF-beta/activin signaling. ..
- Hinoi E, Nakamura Y, Takada S, Fujita H, Iezaki T, Hashizume S, et al. Growth differentiation factor-5 promotes brown adipogenesis in systemic energy expenditure. Diabetes. 2014;63:162-75 pubmed publisher..Modulation of these pathways might be an effective therapeutic strategy for obesity and type 2 diabetes. ..
- Takahashi H, Ikeda T. Transcripts for two members of the transforming growth factor-beta superfamily BMP-3 and BMP-7 are expressed in developing rat embryos. Dev Dyn. 1996;207:439-49 pubmed..These results suggest that BMP-3 and BMP-7 play important roles in organogenesis and that the differential patterns of their expression might reflect their distinct roles in embryogenesis. ..
- Ohta S, Suzuki K, Tachibana K, Tanaka H, Yamada G. Cessation of gastrulation is mediated by suppression of epithelial-mesenchymal transition at the ventral ectodermal ridge. Development. 2007;134:4315-24 pubmed..These indicate that the inhibition of Bmp signaling by temporal and/or spatial Nog expression suppresses EMT and leads to the cessation of the ingressive cell movement from the VER at the end of gastrulation. ..
- Haraguchi R, Mo R, Hui C, Motoyama J, Makino S, Shiroishi T, et al. Unique functions of Sonic hedgehog signaling during external genitalia development. Development. 2001;128:4241-50 pubmed..These results suggest a dual mode of Shh function, first by the regulation of initiating GT outgrowth, and second, by subsequent GT differentiation. ..
- Shimaoka H, Dohi Y, Ohgushi H, Ikeuchi M, Okamoto M, Kudo A, et al. Recombinant growth/differentiation factor-5 (GDF-5) stimulates osteogenic differentiation of marrow mesenchymal stem cells in porous hydroxyapatite ceramic. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2004;68:168-76 pubmed..The results indicate that GDF-5 synergistically enhances de novo bone formation capability of MSCs/HA composite and suggest that tissue-engineered GDF/MSCs/HA composites could be used as bone graft substitutes. ..
- Rashid F, Shiba H, Mizuno N, Mouri Y, Fujita T, Shinohara H, et al. The effect of extracellular calcium ion on gene expression of bone-related proteins in human pulp cells. J Endod. 2003;29:104-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that Ca2+ in Ca(OH)2 specifically modulates osteopontin and BMP-2 levels during calcification in pulp. ..
- Ishizuya Oka A, Hasebe T, Shimizu K, Suzuki K, Ueda S. Shh/BMP-4 signaling pathway is essential for intestinal epithelial development during Xenopus larval-to-adult remodeling. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3240-9 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that the Shh/BMP-4 signaling pathway plays key roles in the amphibian intestinal remodeling through epithelial-connective tissue interactions. ..
- Liu Y, Nifuji A, Tamura M, Wozney J, Olson E, Noda M. Scleraxis messenger ribonucleic acid is expressed in C2C12 myoblasts and its level is down-regulated by bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP2). J Cell Biochem. 1997;67:66-74 pubmed..These data indicated that although the default pathway for C2C12 cells is to differentiate into muscle cells, these cells do express non-myogenic transcription factor, scleraxis, whose expression is suppressed by BMP2. ..
- Inoda H, Yamamoto G, Hattori T. rh-BMP2-induced ectopic bone for grafting critical size defects: a preliminary histological evaluation in rat calvariae. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007;36:39-44 pubmed..These histological findings indicate that rh-BMP2-induced ectopically-formed bone is suitable as bone graft material. ..
- Hoshi K, Amizuka N, Sakou T, Kurokawa T, Ozawa H. Fibroblasts of spinal ligaments pathologically differentiate into chondrocytes induced by recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2: morphological examinations for ossification of spinal ligaments. Bone. 1997;21:155-62 pubmed..BMP receptors were upregulated during chondrification of ligamentous fibroblasts induced by exogenous BMP-2, suggesting that BMPs may play an important role in ossification of spinal ligaments. ..
- Nakata K, Nagai T, Aruga J, Mikoshiba K. Xenopus Zic3, a primary regulator both in neural and neural crest development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:11980-5 pubmed..These findings suggest that Zic3 can determine the ectodermal cell fate and promote the earliest step of neural and neural crest development. ..
- Mukai T, Otsuka F, Otani H, Yamashita M, Takasugi K, Inagaki K, et al. TNF-alpha inhibits BMP-induced osteoblast differentiation through activating SAPK/JNK signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;356:1004-10 pubmed..Collectively, TNF-alpha elicits BMP-induced osteogenic inhibition by suppressing BMP-Smad signaling pathway, at least in part, through SAPK/JNK activation and Smad6 upregulation. ..
- Yamanishi T, Katsu K, Funahashi J, Yumoto E, Yokouchi Y. Dan is required for normal morphogenesis and patterning in the developing chick inner ear. Dev Growth Differ. 2007;49:13-26 pubmed..Thus, Dan is required for the normal morphogenesis of the inner ear and, by inhibiting BMP signaling, for the patterning of the transcription factors Nkx5.1 and Msx1...
- Inagaki K, Otsuka F, Suzuki J, Kano Y, Takeda M, Miyoshi T, et al. Involvement of bone morphogenetic protein-6 in differential regulation of aldosterone production by angiotensin II and potassium in human adrenocortical cells. Endocrinology. 2006;147:2681-9 pubmed..Collectively, the endogenous BMP-6 system plays critical roles in aldosterone production between Ang II and K through ERK signaling pathway. ..
- Marukawa E, Asahina I, Oda M, Seto I, Alam M, Enomoto S. Functional reconstruction of the non-human primate mandible using recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2002;31:287-95 pubmed..Bone regeneration induced by rhBMP-2 holds promise as a future therapy and may be an effective alternative to autogenous bone grafts for implant dentistry and reconstructive surgery. ..
- Tateyama S, Uchida K, Hidaka T, Hirao M, Yamaguchi R. Expression of bone morphogenetic protein-6 (BMP-6) in myoepithelial cells in canine mammary gland tumors. Vet Pathol. 2001;38:703-9 pubmed
- Yamagishi T, Nakajima Y, Miyazono K, Nakamura H. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 acts synergistically with transforming growth factor-beta3 during endothelial-mesenchymal transformation in the developing chick heart. J Cell Physiol. 1999;180:35-45 pubmed..These results suggest that BMP2 1) plays an important role in the formation of endocardial cushion tissue and 2) acts synergistically with TGFbeta3 in the regulation of this developmental event. ..
- Wei J, Nawata M, Wakitani S, Kametani K, Ota M, Toda A, et al. Human amniotic mesenchymal cells differentiate into chondrocytes. Cloning Stem Cells. 2009;11:19-26 pubmed publisher..These results showed that HAMc have the potential to differentiate into chondrocytes in vitro and in vivo, suggesting that they have therapeutic potential for the treatment of damaged or diseased cartilage. ..
- Tanaka K, Inoue Y, Hendy G, Canaff L, Katagiri T, Kitazawa R, et al. Interaction of Tmem119 and the bone morphogenetic protein pathway in the commitment of myoblastic into osteoblastic cells. Bone. 2012;51:158-67 pubmed publisher..Tmem119 may play a critical role in the commitment of myoprogenitor cells to the osteoblast lineage. ..
- Nakashima K, Yanagisawa M, Arakawa H, Taga T. Astrocyte differentiation mediated by LIF in cooperation with BMP2. FEBS Lett. 1999;457:43-6 pubmed
- Yonemori K, Imamura T, Ishidou Y, Okano T, Matsunaga S, Yoshida H, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein receptors and activin receptors are highly expressed in ossified ligament tissues of patients with ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament. Am J Pathol. 1997;150:1335-47 pubmed..The high expression of BMPRs and ActRs in the ectopic ossified ligament suggests that BMPs and activin may be tightly involved in the pathological ossification process of OPLL. ..
- Somekawa S, Imagawa K, Hayashi H, Sakabe M, Ioka T, Sato G, et al. Tmem100, an ALK1 receptor signaling-dependent gene essential for arterial endothelium differentiation and vascular morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:12064-9 pubmed publisher..These data indicated that TMEM100 may play indispensable roles downstream of BMP9/BMP10-ALK1 signaling during endothelial differentiation and vascular morphogenesis. ..
- Kamiunten T, Ideno H, Shimada A, Arai Y, Terashima T, Tomooka Y, et al. Essential roles of G9a in cell proliferation and differentiation during tooth development. Exp Cell Res. 2017;357:202-210 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that H3K9MTase G9a regulates cell proliferation and timing of differentiation and that G9a expression in the tooth mesenchyme is required for proper tooth development. ..
- Sato R, Uchida K, Kobayashi S, Yayama T, Kokubo Y, Nakajima H, et al. Ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament of the cervical spine: histopathological findings around the calcification and ossification front. J Neurosurg Spine. 2007;7:174-83 pubmed..The authors studied the histological and immunohistochemical features of ossified posterior longitudinal ligament (PLL) of the cervical spine, especially in the calcification and ossification front...
- Suzuki A, Ghayor C, Guicheux J, Magne D, Quillard S, Kakita A, et al. Enhanced expression of the inorganic phosphate transporter Pit-1 is involved in BMP-2-induced matrix mineralization in osteoblast-like cells. J Bone Miner Res. 2006;21:674-83 pubmed..In MC3T3-E1 cells, this effect is mediated by the JNK pathway and plays an essential role in bone matrix calcification induced by BMP-2. ..
- Yoshimoto T, Yamamoto M, Kadomatsu H, Sakoda K, Yonamine Y, Izumi Y. Recombinant human growth/differentiation factor-5 (rhGDF-5) induced bone formation in murine calvariae. J Periodontal Res. 2006;41:140-7 pubmed..Exposure to GDF-5 promotes proliferation and differentiation of calvarial cells, which give rise to ectopic bone formation. ..
- Aoyama M, Sun Wada G, Yamamoto A, Yamamoto M, Hamada H, Wada Y. Spatial restriction of bone morphogenetic protein signaling in mouse gastrula through the mVam2-dependent endocytic pathway. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1163-75 pubmed publisher..We found that mVam2, which interacts with BMP type I receptor, is required for the spatiotemporal modulation of BMP signaling, via sequestration of the receptor complex in the late stages of the endocytic pathway...
- Inouye K, Tomoishi M, Yasumoto M, Miyake Y, Kojima K, Tsuzuki S, et al. Roles of CUB and LDL receptor class A domain repeats of a transmembrane serine protease matriptase in its zymogen activation. J Biochem. 2013;153:51-61 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into the roles of these non-catalytic domains in the generation of active matriptase. ..
- Nishimatsu S, Suzuki A, Shoda A, Murakami K, Ueno N. Genes for bone morphogenetic proteins are differentially transcribed in early amphibian embryos. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992;186:1487-95 pubmed..Alkaline phosphatase-inducing assay using the recombinant BMP proteins has shown that at least BMP-2 and -4 have similar activity to mammalian counterparts. ..
- Miura T, Shiota K. Depletion of FGF acts as a lateral inhibitory factor in lung branching morphogenesis in vitro. Mech Dev. 2002;116:29-38 pubmed..These results suggest that the depletion of FGF may be a key regulatory component in initial phase of branching morphogenesis of the lung bud epithelium in vitro. ..
- Onishi T, Ishidou Y, Nagamine T, Yone K, Imamura T, Kato M, et al. Distinct and overlapping patterns of localization of bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) family members and a BMP type II receptor during fracture healing in rats. Bone. 1998;22:605-12 pubmed..Thus, these findings suggested that BMPs acting through their BMP receptors may play major roles in modulating the sequential events leading to bone formation. ..
- Inada M, Yasui T, Nomura S, Miyake S, Deguchi K, Himeno M, et al. Maturational disturbance of chondrocytes in Cbfa1-deficient mice. Dev Dyn. 1999;214:279-90 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that Cbfa1 is an important factor for chondrocyte differentiation. ..
- Suzawa M, Tamura Y, Fukumoto S, Miyazono K, Fujita T, Kato S, et al. Stimulation of Smad1 transcriptional activity by Ras-extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathway: a possible mechanism for collagen-dependent osteoblastic differentiation. J Bone Miner Res. 2002;17:240-8 pubmed
- Nishinakamura R, Matsumoto Y, Matsuda T, Ariizumi T, Heike T, Asashima M, et al. Activation of Stat3 by cytokine receptor gp130 ventralizes Xenopus embryos independent of BMP-4. Dev Biol. 1999;216:481-90 pubmed..A dominant-negative Stat3, in contrast, dorsalized Xenopus embryos, resulting in ectopic axis formation. We propose that Stat3-mediated signaling has the capacity to modify dorsoventral patterning in the early development of Xenopus. ..
- Furushima K, Shimo Onoda K, Maeda S, Nobukuni T, Ikari K, Koga H, et al. Large-scale screening for candidate genes of ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament of the spine. J Bone Miner Res. 2002;17:128-37 pubmed..Only BMP4 reached criteria of suggestive evidence of linkage. Because this gene is a well-known factor in osteogenetic function, BMP4 should be screened in further study for the polymorphism responsible...
- Yamaguchi A, Komori T, Suda T. Regulation of osteoblast differentiation mediated by bone morphogenetic proteins, hedgehogs, and Cbfa1. Endocr Rev. 2000;21:393-411 pubmed..Thus, the intimate interaction between local factors such as BMPs and hedgehogs and the transcription factor, Cbfa1, is important to osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. ..
- Ohta S, Hiraki Y, Shigeno C, Suzuki F, Kasai R, Ikeda T, et al. Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMP-2 and BMP-3) induce the late phase expression of the proto-oncogene c-fos in murine osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells. FEBS Lett. 1992;314:356-60 pubmed..These data suggest that in osteoblasts BMP-2 and BMP-3 induce the late phase expression of c-fos, which may play a role in transcriptional activation of the genes involved in differentiation of osteoblasts. ..
- Takeda K, Oida S, Ichijo H, Iimura T, Maruoka Y, Amagasa T, et al. Molecular cloning of rat bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) type IA receptor and its expression during ectopic bone formation induced by BMP. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;204:203-9 pubmed..Reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction analysis revealed that BMPR-IA mRNA was highly expressed in the BMP-induced bone forming tissues throughout the stages tested. ..
- Takemura T, Sakagami M, Takebayashi K, Umemoto M, Nakase T, Takaoka K, et al. Localization of bone morphogenetic protein-4 messenger RNA in developing mouse cochlea. Hear Res. 1996;95:26-32 pubmed..BMP-4 may be involved in the condensation and differentiation of the mesenchymal cells as well as basilar membrane formation. BMP-4 might be an essential factor for the normal development of the basilar membrane. ..
- Tanaka Y, Naruse I, Maekawa T, Masuya H, Shiroishi T, Ishii S. Abnormal skeletal patterning in embryos lacking a single Cbp allele: a partial similarity with Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:10215-20 pubmed
- Sakata Goto T, Takahashi K, Kiso H, Huang B, Tsukamoto H, Takemoto M, et al. Id2 controls chondrogenesis acting downstream of BMP signaling during maxillary morphogenesis. Bone. 2012;50:69-78 pubmed publisher..As a consequence, abnormal endochondral ossification was observed in cranial base synchondroses during the postnatal growth period, resulting in the clinical phenotype of maxillofacial dysmorphogenesis. ..
- Tokuhara Y, Wakitani S, Imai Y, Kawaguchi A, Fukunaga K, Kim M, et al. Repair of experimentally induced large osteochondral defects in rabbit knee with various concentrations of Escherichia coli-derived recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2. Int Orthop. 2010;34:761-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the use of E-rhBMP-2 improves and accelerates the repair of osteochondral defects in a rabbit model. ..
- Takebayashi Suzuki K, Arita N, Murasaki E, Suzuki A. The Xenopus POU class V transcription factor XOct-25 inhibits ectodermal competence to respond to bone morphogenetic protein-mediated embryonic induction. Mech Dev. 2007;124:840-55 pubmed
- Yamaguti M, Cho K, Hashimoto C. Xenopus hairy2b specifies anterior prechordal mesoderm identity within Spemann's organizer. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:102-13 pubmed..These results suggest that Xhairy2b establishes the identity of the anterior prechordal mesoderm within Spemann's organizer by inhibiting the formation of neighboring tissues. ..
- Harada Y, Shoguchi E, Taguchi S, Okai N, Humphreys T, Tagawa K, et al. Conserved expression pattern of BMP-2/4 in hemichordate acorn worm and echinoderm sea cucumber embryos. Zoolog Sci. 2002;19:1113-21 pubmed..This is in agreement with the homology between their basic larval body plans with respect to coelomogenesis and allows us to discuss the evolutionary counterparts of the coelomopore complex in chordates. ..
- Oka C, Tsujimoto R, Kajikawa M, Koshiba Takeuchi K, Ina J, Yano M, et al. HtrA1 serine protease inhibits signaling mediated by Tgfbeta family proteins. Development. 2004;131:1041-53 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that HtrA1 protease is a novel inhibitor of Tgfbeta family members. ..
- Ueno T, Kagawa T, Fukunaga J, Mizukawa N, Kanou M, Fujii T, et al. Regeneration of the mandibular head from grafted periosteum. Ann Plast Surg. 2003;51:77-83 pubmed..These findings indicate that grafted periosteum can regenerate the mandibular head without special procedures such as bone fixation in a rabbit model, and suggest that this technique may be useful clinically...
- Mizuseki K, Kishi M, Shiota K, Nakanishi S, Sasai Y. SoxD: an essential mediator of induction of anterior neural tissues in Xenopus embryos. Neuron. 1998;21:77-85 pubmed..These data show that SoxD functions as an essential mediator of downstream signaling of neural induction. ..
- Tsumaki N, Nakase T, Miyaji T, Kakiuchi M, Kimura T, Ochi T, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein signals are required for cartilage formation and differently regulate joint development during skeletogenesis. J Bone Miner Res. 2002;17:898-906 pubmed..These conclusions may account for the reason why multiple BMPs are coexpressed in cartilage. ..
- Miyai K, Yoneda M, Hasegawa U, Toita S, Izu Y, Hemmi H, et al. ANA deficiency enhances bone morphogenetic protein-induced ectopic bone formation via transcriptional events. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:10593-600 pubmed publisher..Immunoprecipitation assay indicated that ANA interacts with Smad8. Thus, ANA is a suppressor of ectopic bone formation induced by BMP, and this inhibitory ANA activity is a part of the negative feedback regulation of BMP function. ..
- Morotome Y, Goseki Sone M, Ishikawa I, Oida S. Gene expression of growth and differentiation factors-5, -6, and -7 in developing bovine tooth at the root forming stage. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;244:85-90 pubmed..These results indicate that GDFs, expressed in the bovine tooth germ including the dental follicle, may be potent regulatory molecules in the development of the dental attachment apparatus. ..
- Ohinata Y, Ohta H, Shigeta M, Yamanaka K, Wakayama T, Saitou M. A signaling principle for the specification of the germ cell lineage in mice. Cell. 2009;137:571-84 pubmed publisher..By identifying a signaling principle in germ cell specification, our study establishes a robust strategy for reconstituting the mammalian germ cell lineage in vitro. ..
- Usui M, Yoshida Y, Yamashita T, Tsuji K, Isao I, Yamamoto T, et al. Enhancing effect of Tob deficiency on bone formation is specific to bone morphogenetic protein-induced osteogenesis. J Bone Miner Res. 2002;17:1026-33 pubmed..These data indicate that Tob acts as a novel specific antagonist against bone formation induced by BMP treatment in bone. ..
- Harada J, Kokura K, Kanei Ishii C, Nomura T, Khan M, Kim Y, et al. Requirement of the co-repressor homeodomain-interacting protein kinase 2 for ski-mediated inhibition of bone morphogenetic protein-induced transcriptional activation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:38998-9005 pubmed..The HIPK2 co-repressor activity may be regulated by an uncharacterized HIPK2 kinase. These results indicate that HIPK2, together with c-Ski, plays an important role in the negative regulation of BMP-induced transcriptional activation. ..
- Aikawa T, Shirasuna K, Iwamoto M, Watatani K, Nakamura T, Okura M, et al. Establishment of bone morphogenetic protein 2 responsive chondrogenic cell line. J Bone Miner Res. 1996;11:544-53 pubmed..Thus, RMD-1 is a unique cell line that can differentiate from undifferentiated mesenchymal cells into hypertrophic chondrocytes. ..
- Hata K, Nishimura R, Ikeda F, Yamashita K, Matsubara T, Nokubi T, et al. Differential roles of Smad1 and p38 kinase in regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activating receptor gamma during bone morphogenetic protein 2-induced adipogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:545-55 pubmed..Thus, BMP2 controls adipocytic differentiation by using two distinct signaling pathways that play differential roles in this process in C3H10T1/2 cells. ..
- Sakaguchi M, Sharmin S, Taguchi A, Ohmori T, Fujimura S, Abe T, et al. The phosphatase Dullard negatively regulates BMP signalling and is essential for nephron maintenance after birth. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1398 pubmed publisher..Thus, Dullard keeps BMP signalling at an appropriate level, which is required for nephron maintenance in the postnatal period. ..
- Ogaki S, Shiraki N, Kume K, Kume S. Wnt and Notch signals guide embryonic stem cell differentiation into the intestinal lineages. Stem Cells. 2013;31:1086-96 pubmed publisher..We concluded that Wnt and Notch signaling function to pattern the anterior-posterior axis of the DE and control intestinal differentiation...
- Ishidou Y, Kitajima I, Obama H, Maruyama I, Murata F, Imamura T, et al. Enhanced expression of type I receptors for bone morphogenetic proteins during bone formation. J Bone Miner Res. 1995;10:1651-9 pubmed..The present data suggest that expression of BMP type I receptors is up-regulated during bone formation, and that they may play important roles in bone morphogenesis. ..
- Iimura T, Oida S, Takeda K, Maruoka Y, Sasaki S. Changes in homeobox-containing gene expression during ectopic bone formation induced by bone morphogenetic protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;201:980-7 pubmed..The PCR study provided evidence of dynamic changes in BMP-induced homeobox gene expression. ..
- Takeuchi Y, Watanabe S, Ishii G, Takeda S, Nakayama K, Fukumoto S, et al. Interleukin-11 as a stimulatory factor for bone formation prevents bone loss with advancing age in mice. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:49011-8 pubmed..These results indicate that IL-11 is a stimulatory factor for osteoblastogenesis and bone formation to conserve cortical bone, possibly by enhancing BMP actions in bone. IL-11 may be a new therapeutic target for senile osteoporosis. ..
- Kano Y, Otsuka F, Takeda M, Suzuki J, Inagaki K, Miyoshi T, et al. Regulatory roles of bone morphogenetic proteins and glucocorticoids in catecholamine production by rat pheochromocytoma cells. Endocrinology. 2005;146:5332-40 pubmed..Controlling activity of the BMP system may be critical for glucocorticoid-induced catecholamine synthesis by adrenomedullar cells. ..
- Masuya H, Nishida K, Furuichi T, Toki H, Nishimura G, Kawabata H, et al. A novel dominant-negative mutation in Gdf5 generated by ENU mutagenesis impairs joint formation and causes osteoarthritis in mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:2366-75 pubmed..This study further highlights a critical role of GDF5 in joint formation and the development of OA, and this mouse should serve as a good model for OA. ..
- Takagi T, Jin W, Taya K, Watanabe G, Mori K, Ishii S. Schnurri-2 mutant mice are hypersensitive to stress and hyperactive. Brain Res. 2006;1108:88-97 pubmed..The basal and stress-induced expression levels of the immediate early genes, including c-Fos, were decreased in Shn-2(-/-) mice compared to wild-type mice. Thus, Shn-2 plays a critical role in locomotion and anxiety-like behavior. ..
- Minami M, Kinoshita N, Kamoshida Y, Tanimoto H, Tabata T. brinker is a target of Dpp in Drosophila that negatively regulates Dpp-dependent genes. Nature. 1999;398:242-6 pubmed..The evolutionary conservation of Brk function underscores the importance of its negative role in proportioning Dpp activity. ..
- Haraguchi R, Suzuki K, Murakami R, Sakai M, Kamikawa M, Kengaku M, et al. Molecular analysis of external genitalia formation: the role of fibroblast growth factor (Fgf) genes during genital tubercle formation. Development. 2000;127:2471-9 pubmed..These results suggest that the FGF system is a key element in orchestrating GT development. ..
- Inamitsu M, Itoh S, Hellman U, Ten Dijke P, Kato M. Methylation of Smad6 by protein arginine N-methyltransferase 1. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:6603-11 pubmed..Both wild-type and Smad6R74A were equally efficient in blocking BMP-induced growth arrest upon their ectopic expression in HS-72 mouse B-cell hybridoma cells. ..
- Takagi T, Harada J, Ishii S. Murine Schnurri-2 is required for positive selection of thymocytes. Nat Immunol. 2001;2:1048-53 pubmed..These data raised the possibility that the Smad-Shn-2 complex is involved in the thymic selection of T cells. ..
- Ito Y, Zhang Y. A RUNX2/PEBP2alphaA/CBFA1 mutation in cleidocranial dysplasia revealing the link between the gene and Smad. J Bone Miner Metab. 2001;19:188-94 pubmed..The results suggest that CCDalphaA376 inhibited RUNX2 function in a dominant negative fashion...
- Chiba S, Kurokawa M, Yoshikawa H, Ikeda R, Takeno M, Tadokoro M, et al. Noggin and basic FGF were implicated in forebrain fate and caudal fate, respectively, of the neural tube-like structures emerging in mouse ES cell culture. Exp Brain Res. 2005;163:86-99 pubmed..Differentiation of ES cells by the present methods may mimic neurulation and subsequent neural development of early embryos, and elucidates the opposite effects of Noggin and bFGF for the neural tube development. ..
- Someya A, Yuyama H, Fujimori A, Ukai M, Fukushima S, Sasamata M. Effect of YM598, a selective endothelin ETA receptor antagonist, on endothelin-1-induced bone formation. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006;543:14-20 pubmed..These results suggest that endothelin-1 may induce bone formation via endothelin ET(A) receptors in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Sakaue M, Kitazawa S, Nishida K, Kitazawa R, Maeda S. Molecular cloning and characterization of human bone morphogenic protein (BMP)-5 gene promoter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;221:768-72 pubmed..5 kb promoter region contains two transcription start sites, a canonical TATA box (-17 approximately -12) and a number of consensus recognition sequences including GATA-1 (-582 approximately -576) and engrailed (-549 approximately -541). ..
- Koga H, Hayashi K, Taketomi E, Matsunaga S, Yashiki S, Fujiyoshi T, et al. Restriction fragment length polymorphism of genes of the alpha 2(XI) collagen, bone morphogenetic protein-2, alkaline phosphatase, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha among patients with ossification of posterior longitudinal ligament and controls from t. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1996;21:469-73 pubmed..This study investigates the genetic polymorphism of bone-induced factors in patients with ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament and compares it with healthy control subjects...
- Toshiyuki N, Ichiro M. Molecular mechanisms regulating cell type specific expression of BMP/RA Inducible Neural-specific Protein-1 that suppresses cell cycle progression: roles of NRSF/REST and DNA methylation. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;125:47-59 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that BRINP1-NRSE determines neural-specific expression of BRINP1, while hypermethylation of the BRINP1-CpG island suppresses BRINP1 expression in NIH 3T3 cells. ..
- Tsuneizumi K, Nakayama T, Kamoshida Y, Kornberg T, Christian J, Tabata T. Daughters against dpp modulates dpp organizing activity in Drosophila wing development. Nature. 1997;389:627-31 pubmed..We conclude that the pattern-organizing mechanism governed by Dpp involves a negative-feedback circuit in which Dpp induces expression of its own antagonist, Dad. This feedback loop appears to be conserved in vertebrate development. ..
- Funayama N, Sato Y, Matsumoto K, Ogura T, Takahashi Y. Coelom formation: binary decision of the lateral plate mesoderm is controlled by the ectoderm. Development. 1999;126:4129-38 pubmed..We also show that the latter interactions are mediated by BMP molecules that are localized in the lateral ectoderm. Evolutionary aspects of the coelom formation are also considered. ..
- Takebayashi Suzuki K, Kitayama A, Terasaka Iioka C, Ueno N, Suzuki A. The forkhead transcription factor FoxB1 regulates the dorsal-ventral and anterior-posterior patterning of the ectoderm during early Xenopus embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;360:11-29 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that FoxB1 is part of a mechanism that fine-tunes, and leads to the coordinated formation of, the DV and AP axes during early development. ..
- Suzuki K, Bachiller D, Chen Y, Kamikawa M, Ogi H, Haraguchi R, et al. Regulation of outgrowth and apoptosis for the terminal appendage: external genitalia development by concerted actions of BMP signaling [corrected]. Development. 2003;130:6209-20 pubmed..The DUE region can be marked only until 14.0 dpc (days post coitum) in mouse development, while GT outgrowth continues thereafter. Possible signaling crosstalk among the whole distal GT regions were also investigated. ..
- Reza H, Takahashi Y, Yasuda K. Stage-dependent expression of Pax6 in optic vesicle/cup regulates patterning genes through signaling molecules. Differentiation. 2007;75:726-36 pubmed..Our data suggest a new role for Pax6 in regulating FGF8 and BMP4 expression during pattern formation of the optic cup, and that a Pax6-regulated balance between FGF8 and BMP4 is critical for retinogenesis. ..
- Kondo M. Bone morphogenetic proteins in the early development of zebrafish. FEBS J. 2007;274:2960-7 pubmed..Although they do not cover the entire members of the BMP signaling cascade that are currently known, they serve as a powerful tool to broaden our understanding of BMP functions, in combination with other experimental techniques. ..
- Shukunami C, Iyama K, Inoue H, Hiraki Y. Spatiotemporal pattern of the mouse chondromodulin-I gene expression and its regulatory role in vascular invasion into cartilage during endochondral bone formation. Int J Dev Biol. 1999;43:39-49 pubmed
- Okamoto T, Yamamoto Y, Gotoh M, Huang C, Nakamura T, Shimizu Y, et al. Slow release of bone morphogenetic protein 2 from a gelatin sponge to promote regeneration of tracheal cartilage in a canine model. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004;127:329-34 pubmed..This regenerated cartilage was not reabsorbed for longer than 6 months and was strong enough to maintain the integrity of the internal lumen of the trachea. ..