Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in United States
Locale: United States
Publications1327 found, 100 shown here
- Osband A, Deitch E, Hauser C, Lu Q, Zaets S, Berezina T, et al. Albumin protects against gut-induced lung injury in vitro and in vivo. Ann Surg. 2004;240:331-9 pubmed..01). In contrast, albumin treatment did not prevent T/HS-induced gut injury. Low-dose albumin protects against gut lymph-induced lung, HUVEC, and RBC injury by neutralizing T/HS lymph toxicity. ..
- Xin X, Mains R, Eipper B. Monooxygenase X, a member of the copper-dependent monooxygenase family localized to the endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:48159-67 pubmed..MOX is N-glycosylated, is tightly membrane-associated, and forms oligomers that are not disulfide-linked. Based on its sequence and localization, MOX is predicted to hydroxylate a hydrophobic substrate in the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Matlhagela K, Taub M. Regulation of the Na-K-ATPase beta(1)-subunit promoter by multiple prostaglandin-responsive elements. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;291:F635-46 pubmed..The results of these studies are indicative of a synergism between Sp1 and CREB in mediating regulation by PGRE3; while regulation occurring through PGRE1 also involves Sp1 and CREB, the mechanism appears to be distinct. ..
- Buckberg G, Castella M, Gharib M, Saleh S. Structure/function interface with sequential shortening of basal and apical components of the myocardial band. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2006;29 Suppl 1:S75-97 pubmed..Epicardial muscle shortened before endocardial papillary muscle despite early endocardial activation, and suction filling follows active systolic unopposed ascending segment shortening during the 'isovolumetric relaxation' phase. ..
- Chen Izu Y, McCulle S, Ward C, Soeller C, Allen B, Rabang C, et al. Three-dimensional distribution of ryanodine receptor clusters in cardiac myocytes. Biophys J. 2006;91:1-13 pubmed..The importance of cluster size and three-dimensional spacing for current E-C coupling models is discussed. ..
- Jaworski D, Beem Miller M, Lluri G, Barrantes Reynolds R. Potential regulatory relationship between the nested gene DDC8 and its host gene tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2. Physiol Genomics. 2007;28:168-78 pubmed..That TIMP-2 transcripts in wild-type brain contain DDC8 sequence suggests alternative splicing between the two genes. ..
- Martin L, Navara K, Bailey M, Hutch C, Powell N, Sheridan J, et al. Food restriction compromises immune memory in deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) by reducing spleen-derived antibody-producing B cell numbers. Physiol Biochem Zool. 2008;81:366-72 pubmed publisher..These results further indicate that maintenance of immune memory is expensive and may be subject to trade-offs with other physiological processes. ..
- Hoover D, Shepherd A, Southerland E, Armour J, Ardell J. Neurochemical diversity of afferent neurons that transduce sensory signals from dog ventricular myocardium. Auton Neurosci. 2008;141:38-45 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that ventricular sensory information is transferred to the central nervous system by relatively small populations of vagal and spinal afferent neurons and that spinal afferents use a variety of neurotransmitters. ..
- Lorson M, Spate L, Prather R, Lorson C. Identification and characterization of the porcine (Sus scrofa) survival motor neuron (SMN1) gene: an animal model for therapeutic studies. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2268-78 pubmed publisher..These studies provide the first characterization of the porcine SMN1 gene and SMN protein and suggest that a transgenic swine SMA model is feasible. ..
- Riegel C, Stockham S, Patton K, Thomas C. What is your diagnosis? Muculent pleural effusion from a dog. Vet Clin Pathol. 2008;37:353-6 pubmed publisher..A myxoid matrix was confirmed by positive staining with Alcian blue. Myxosarcoma is a rare cardiac tumor in dogs that should be considered, along with mucus-producing carcinomas and bile, as a cause of muculent effusion...
- Antoku S, Saksela K, Rivera G, Mayer B. A crucial role in cell spreading for the interaction of Abl PxxP motifs with Crk and Nck adaptors. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3071-82 pubmed publisher..These results uncover a previously unappreciated role for Abl PxxP motifs in the regulation of cell spreading. ..
- Pierce A, Bliesner B, Xu M, Nielsen Preiss S, Lemke G, Tobet S, et al. Axl and Tyro3 modulate female reproduction by influencing gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuron survival and migration. Mol Endocrinol. 2008;22:2481-95 pubmed publisher..Together these data suggest that Axl and Tyro3 mediate the survival and appropriate targeting of GnRH neurons to the ventral forebrain, thereby contributing to normal reproductive function and cyclicity in the female. ..
- Spitzer C, Reyes F, Buono R, Sliwinski M, Haas T, Otegui M. The ESCRT-related CHMP1A and B proteins mediate multivesicular body sorting of auxin carriers in Arabidopsis and are required for plant development. Plant Cell. 2009;21:749-66 pubmed publisher..Thus, Arabidopsis CHMP1A and B are ESCRT-related proteins with conserved endosomal functions, and the auxin carriers PIN1, PIN2, and AUX1 are ESCRT cargo proteins in the MVB sorting pathway. ..
- Von Ohlen T, Moses C, Poulson W. Ind represses msh expression in the intermediate column of the Drosophila neuroectoderm, through direct interaction with upstream regulatory DNA. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2735-44 pubmed publisher..Specifically, expression is expanded ventrally in ind mutant embryos and Ind protein directly and specifically bound to the msh regulatory DNA, and this interaction was required to limit the ventral boundary of msh expression. ..
- Karim M, Biswas S, Bhattacherjee P, Paterson C. Comparison of tight junction protein expression in the ciliary epithelia of mouse, rabbit, cat and human eyes. Biotech Histochem. 2011;86:161-7 pubmed publisher..Lack of major difference in the expression patterns among the different species is important for validating the use of rabbit, mouse and cat in studies of intraocular inflammation in humans. ..
- Smith K, Twal W, Soodavar F, Virella G, Lopes Virella M, Hammad S. Heat shock protein 70B' (HSP70B') expression and release in response to human oxidized low density lipoprotein immune complexes in macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:15985-93 pubmed publisher..The data also implicate HSP70B' in key cellular functions, such as regulation of SK1 activity and release of IL-10, which influence macrophage activation and survival. ..
- Lockrow J, Boger H, Bimonte Nelson H, Granholm A. Effects of long-term memantine on memory and neuropathology in Ts65Dn mice, a model for Down syndrome. Behav Brain Res. 2011;221:610-22 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings provide further evidence for memory facilitation of memantine, but suggest pharmacological rather than neuroprotective effects of memantine both after acute and chronic treatment in this mouse model. ..
- Huang Y, Xiao Y, Allred D. Unusual chromatin structure associated with monoparalogous transcription of the Babesia bovis ves multigene family. Int J Parasitol. 2013;43:163-72 pubmed publisher..Based upon these results a working model is proposed for the chromatin structural remodeling responsible for the sequential expression of ves multigene family members from divergently-organized loci...
- Inzana J, Maher J, Takahata M, Schwarz E, Berger A, Awad H. Bone fragility beyond strength and mineral density: Raman spectroscopy predicts femoral fracture toughness in a murine model of rheumatoid arthritis. J Biomech. 2013;46:723-30 pubmed publisher..Raman spectral components associated with mineralization quality and bone collagen were strongly leveraged in predicting fracture toughness, reiterating the limitations of mineralization density alone...
- O Connell L, Rigney M, Dykstra D, Hofmann H. Neuroendocrine mechanisms underlying sensory integration of social signals. J Neuroendocrinol. 2013;25:644-54 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that different sensory cues are processed in a social context-specific manner as part of adaptive decision-making processes. ..
- Liu J, Yu J. Spectrum of myelinated pulmonary afferents (II). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2013;305:R1059-64 pubmed publisher..Our results support the hypothesis that a single mechanosensory unit may contain heterogeneous encoders that can respond to either inflation or deflation. ..
- Babcock D, Ganetzky B. Non-cell autonomous cell death caused by transmission of Huntingtin aggregates in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2015;9:107-9 pubmed publisher..Improved understanding of which neurons are most vulnerable and why should be useful in developing treatment strategies for neurodegenerative diseases that involve transcellular spreading of aggregates. ..
- Cai L, Ji A, de Beer F, Tannock L, van der Westhuyzen D. SR-BI protects against endotoxemia in mice through its roles in glucocorticoid production and hepatic clearance. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:364-75 pubmed..We conclude that SR-BI in mice is required for the antiinflammatory response to LPS-induced endotoxic shock, likely through its essential role in facilitating glucocorticoid production and LPS hepatic clearance. ..
- Pagarigan K, Bunn B, Goodchild J, Rahe T, Weis J, Saucedo L. Drosophila PRL-1 is a growth inhibitor that counteracts the function of the Src oncogene. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61084 pubmed publisher..This first examination of PRL in a model organism demonstrates that PRL performs as a tumor suppressor and underscores the necessity of identifying the conditions that enable it to transform into an oncogene in cancer. ..
- Carrasco D, Perez P, Lewin A, Bravo R. IkappaBalpha overexpression delays tumor formation in v-rel transgenic mice. J Exp Med. 1997;186:279-88 pubmed..Our results indicate that v-Rel homodimers are active in transformation and that the capacity of v-Rel-containing complexes to escape the inhibitory effect of IkappaBalpha may be a key element in its transforming capability. ..
- Chambers D, Cook P, Nishioka G, Erhart P. Comparison of mRAST and CAP with skin end point titration for Alternaria tenuis and dermatophagoides pteronyssinus. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1997;117:471-4 pubmed..These results were then compared with the results of patients who also underwent intradermal skin testing based on end point titration techniques. ..
- Progulske Fox A, Kozarov E, Dorn B, Dunn W, Burks J, Wu Y. Porphyromonas gingivalis virulence factors and invasion of cells of the cardiovascular system. J Periodontal Res. 1999;34:393-9 pubmed..It is therefore likely that Pg uses different invasive mechanisms for different host cells. This and the role of HagA in invasion is currently being investigated further. ..
- Moore J, Blanchard R, McCormack W, Cousins R. cDNA array analysis identifies thymic LCK as upregulated in moderate murine zinc deficiency before T-lymphocyte population changes. J Nutr. 2001;131:3189-96 pubmed..Results demonstrate that 3 wk of dietary zinc insufficiency can alter specific thymic mRNA and protein abundances before alterations occur in thymocyte development as detectable by FACS analysis. ..
- Spangenburg E, Booth F. Multiple signaling pathways mediate LIF-induced skeletal muscle satellite cell proliferation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2002;283:C204-11 pubmed..These data suggest that LIF induces satellite cell proliferation by activation of the JAK2-STAT3 signaling pathway, suggesting that this may be an important pathway in muscle growth and/or hypertrophy. ..
- Webb B, Walker D, Heaton M. Nerve growth factor and chronic ethanol treatment alter calcium homeostasis in developing rat septal neurons. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2003;143:57-71 pubmed..In conclusion, CET during development of the brain could adversely affect Ca(2+)-dependent functions such as neuronal migration, neurite outgrowth, and synaptogenesis in neurons even in the presence of neurotrophin support. ..
- Li H, Kim K. Effects of ethanol on embryonic and neonatal rat testes in organ cultures. J Androl. 2003;24:653-60 pubmed..Furthermore, germ cells may be the main target for the action of ethanol on the early postnatal testis. ..
- Monaco E, Beaman Hall C, Mathur A, Vallano M. Roscovitine, olomoucine, purvalanol: inducers of apoptosis in maturing cerebellar granule neurons. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004;67:1947-64 pubmed..Collectively, our results, and those of others, indicate that the CDK regulation of transcription (CDKs 7 and 9) should be examined as a target of these agents, and as an indirect mediator of neuronal fate. ..
- Ribes J, Seabolt J, Overman S. Point prevalence of Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora, and Isospora infections in patients being evaluated for diarrhea. Am J Clin Pathol. 2004;122:28-32 pubmed..Clinicians need to be reminded that additional tests should be ordered to fully evaluate patients with chronic diarrhea in which no diagnosis is found by routine testing...
- Chen J, Somanath P, Razorenova O, Chen W, Hay N, Bornstein P, et al. Akt1 regulates pathological angiogenesis, vascular maturation and permeability in vivo. Nat Med. 2005;11:1188-96 pubmed..Re-expression of TSP-1 and TSP-2 in mice transplanted with wild-type bone marrow corrected the angiogenic abnormalities in Akt1(-/-) mice. These findings establish a crucial role of an Akt-thrombospondin axis in angiogenesis. ..
- Papke R, Dwoskin L, Crooks P. The pharmacological activity of nicotine and nornicotine on nAChRs subtypes: relevance to nicotine dependence and drug discovery. J Neurochem. 2007;101:160-7 pubmed..Thus, understanding the actions of nornicotine in the brain may have significance for both emerging therapeutics and the management of nicotine dependence. ..
- Reynolds R, Campbell S, Fairchild R, Kisliuk R, Micca P, Queener S, et al. Novel boron-containing, nonclassical antifolates: synthesis and preliminary biological and structural evaluation. J Med Chem. 2007;50:3283-9 pubmed..The less toxic nido-carborane 2 was also tested as a candidate for boron neutron capture therapy, but showed poor tumor retention and low selectivity ratios for boron distribution in tumor tissue versus normal tissue. ..
- Zhu F, Zykova T, Kang B, Wang Z, Ebeling M, Abe Y, et al. Bidirectional signals transduced by TOPK-ERK interaction increase tumorigenesis of HCT116 colorectal cancer cells. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:219-31 pubmed..The positive feedback loop between TOPK and ERK2 increases tumorigenesis properties of HCT116 colorectal cancer cells, and TOPK-regulated signaling may serve as a potential therapeutic target in colorectal cancer. ..
- Wilber A, Southwood C, Wellman C. Brief neonatal maternal separation alters extinction of conditioned fear and corticolimbic glucocorticoid and NMDA receptor expression in adult rats. Dev Neurobiol. 2009;69:73-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, brief maternal separation impaired extinction recall and altered GR and NR1 expression in its neural substrate in adults. ..
- Reynolds L, Beckmann J, Kurz A. Perioperative complications of hypothermia. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2008;22:645-57 pubmed..Furthermore mild hypothermia triples the incidence of postoperative adverse myocardial events. Thus, even mild hypothermia contributes significantly to patient care costs and needs to be avoided. ..
- Bhattacharya P, Ross B, Bunger R. Cardiovascular applications of hyperpolarized contrast media and metabolic tracers. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2009;234:1395-416 pubmed publisher..These facts and considerations will help in the interpretation of the in vivo recorded hyperpolarization signals of metabolic tracers and contrast media. ..
- Rudicell R, Holland Jones J, Wroblewski E, Learn G, Li Y, Robertson J, et al. Impact of simian immunodeficiency virus infection on chimpanzee population dynamics. PLoS Pathog. 2010;6:e1001116 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with the uneven distribution of SIVcpz throughout central Africa and explain how chimpanzees in Gombe and elsewhere can be at equipoise with this pathogen. ..
- Polásek M, Fuchs B, Uppal R, Schühle D, Alford J, Loving G, et al. Molecular MR imaging of liver fibrosis: a feasibility study using rat and mouse models. J Hepatol. 2012;57:549-55 pubmed publisher..74 (rats), r=0.77 (mice)) and with Ishak scoring (r=0.84 (rats), r=0.79 (mice)). Molecular MRI of liver fibrosis with a collagen-specific probe identifies fibrotic tissue in two rodent models of disease. ..
- Agnes R, Broome A, Wang J, Verma A, Lavik K, Basilion J. An optical probe for noninvasive molecular imaging of orthotopic brain tumors overexpressing epidermal growth factor receptor. Mol Cancer Ther. 2012;11:2202-11 pubmed publisher..The data presented here represent the first demonstration of differential quantitation of tumors expressing EGFR in live animals by a targeted NIR fluorescence probe using a molecular imaging device. ..
- Cebulla C, Zelinka C, Scott M, Lubow M, Bingham A, Rasiah S, et al. A chick model of retinal detachment: cone rich and novel. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44257 pubmed publisher..Given the relatively large eye size, and considering the low cost, the chick model of RD offers advantages for high-throughput studies. ..
- Mou X, Spinard E, Driscoll M, Zhao W, Nelson D. H-NS is a negative regulator of the two hemolysin/cytotoxin gene clusters in Vibrio anguillarum. Infect Immun. 2013;81:3566-76 pubmed publisher..In this study, we demonstrate that upregulation by hlyU is hns dependent, suggesting that H-NS acts to repress or silence both gene clusters and HlyU acts to relieve that repression or silencing. ..
- Trotter J, Lee G, Kazdoba T, Crowell B, Domogauer J, Mahoney H, et al. Dab1 is required for synaptic plasticity and associative learning. J Neurosci. 2013;33:15652-68 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data conclusively demonstrate an important role for Reelin-Dab1 signaling in the adult forebrain, and underscore the importance of this pathway in learning and memory. ..
- Shortliffe L, Hammam O, Han X, Kouba E, Tsao P, Wang B. Dietary fructose in pregnancy induces hyperglycemia, hypertension, and pathologic kidney and liver changes in a rodent model. Pregnancy Hypertens. 2015;5:308-14 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate, moreover, that high dietary fructose ingestion in pregnant rats may result in profound systemic and pathologic changes not appreciated during routine pregnancy. ..
- Khanna S, Stewart R, Gnyawali S, Harris H, Balch M, Spieldenner J, et al. Phytoestrogen isoflavone intervention to engage the neuroprotective effect of glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase against stroke. FASEB J. 2017;31:4533-4544 pubmed publisher..Khanna, S., Stewart, R., Gnyawali, S., Harris, H., Balch, M., Spieldenner, J., Sen, C. K., Rink, C. Phytoestrogen isoflavone intervention to engage the neuroprotective effect of glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase against stroke. ..
- Maes M, Crespo Yanguas S, Willebrords J, Weemhoff J, da Silva T, Decrock E, et al. Connexin hemichannel inhibition reduces acetaminophen-induced liver injury in mice. Toxicol Lett. 2017;278:30-37 pubmed publisher..This study shows for the first time a role for connexin hemichannels in acetaminophen-induced acute liver failure. ..
- Palazzolo M, Hyde D, Vijayraghavan K, Mecklenburg K, Benzer S, Meyerowitz E. Use of a new strategy to isolate and characterize 436 Drosophila cDNA clones corresponding to RNAs detected in adult heads but not in early embryos. Neuron. 1989;3:527-39 pubmed..Many of these genes are likely to encode eye- and nervous system-specific products. ..
- Mcvey D, Rudd R, Toshach K, Moore W, Keeton K. Systemic autoimmune disease and concurrent nematode infection in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1989;195:957-60 pubmed..Serotest data generated from the dog's serum obtained at the time of referral suggested that autoantibodies and circulating immune complexes may have included IgE isotypes...
- Kapoun A, Kaufman T. Regulatory regions of the homeotic gene proboscipedia are sensitive to chromosomal pairing. Genetics. 1995;140:643-58 pubmed..Interestingly, the intronic PS regions contain positive regulatory sequences for pb, whereas the upstream PS sites contain pb negative regulatory elements. ..
- Megraw T, Li K, Kao L, Kaufman T. The centrosomin protein is required for centrosome assembly and function during cleavage in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:2829-39 pubmed..These results suggest that Centrosomin is required for the assembly and function of centrosomes during the syncytial cleavage divisions. ..
- Chung S, McLean M, Rymond B. Yeast ortholog of the Drosophila crooked neck protein promotes spliceosome assembly through stable U4/U6.U5 snRNP addition. RNA. 1999;5:1042-54 pubmed..Our results indicate that Clf1p acts as a scaffolding protein in spliceosome assembly and suggest that Clf1p may support the cross-intron bridge during the prespliceosome-to-spliceosome transition. ..
- Shaddock Palombi P, Backoff P, Caspary D. Responses of young and aged rat inferior colliculus neurons to sinusoidally amplitude modulated stimuli. Hear Res. 2001;153:174-80 pubmed..Age-related changes observed in SAM coding may reflect an altered balance between excitatory/inhibitory neurotransmitter efficacy in the aged rat IC, and/or possibly a change in the functional dynamic range of IC neurons. ..
- VanHouten J, Asch H, Asch B. Cloning and characterization of ectopically expressed transcripts for the actin-binding protein MIPP in mouse mammary carcinomas. Oncogene. 2001;20:5366-72 pubmed..Our results suggest that MIPP could contribute to malignant progression in the mouse mammary epithelial cells by perverting their response to cues from the extracellular matrix. ..
- Gupta N, Porter T. Inhibition of human squalene monooxygenase by selenium compounds. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2002;16:18-23 pubmed..Unexpectedly, the inhibition by selenite was significantly enhanced by dithiols, indicating that a more toxic species, possibly selenide, was formed in the presence of these dithiol reductants. ..
- Gendron F, Chalimoniuk M, Strosznajder J, Shen S, Gonzalez F, Weisman G, et al. P2X7 nucleotide receptor activation enhances IFN gamma-induced type II nitric oxide synthase activity in BV-2 microglial cells. J Neurochem. 2003;87:344-52 pubmed..These results suggest that activation of P2X7 receptors may contribute to inflammatory responses in microglial cells seen in neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Song Z, Hatton G. Taurine and the control of basal hormone release from rat neurohypophysis. Exp Neurol. 2003;183:330-7 pubmed..Taurine-induced partial depolarization resulting in Na(+) channel inactivation is probably responsible for its previously observed inhibition of stimulated hormone release from neural lobe. ..
- Zhang Y, Cho Y, Petersen B, Zhu F, Dong Z. Evidence of STAT1 phosphorylation modulated by MAPKs, MEK1 and MSK1. Carcinogenesis. 2004;25:1165-75 pubmed..Overall, our data indicate that phosphorylation of STAT1 at Ser727 occurs through diverse MAPK cascades including MEK1, ERKs, p38 kinase, JNKs and MSK1 in the cellular response to UVA. ..
- del Re E, Babitt J, Pirani A, Schneyer A, Lin H. In the absence of type III receptor, the transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta type II-B receptor requires the type I receptor to bind TGF-beta2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:22765-72 pubmed..Our cell-free binding assay system will allow for testing of models of receptor-ligand complexes prior to actual solution of crystal structures. ..
- Rizk A, Curley J, Robertson J, Raber J. Anxiety and cognition in histamine H3 receptor-/- mice. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:1992-6 pubmed..These findings support a role for H3Rs in mediating histamine effects on spatial learning and memory and measures of anxiety. ..
- Rhodes K, Carroll K, Sung M, Doliveira L, Monaghan M, Burke S, et al. KChIPs and Kv4 alpha subunits as integral components of A-type potassium channels in mammalian brain. J Neurosci. 2004;24:7903-15 pubmed
- Kim A, Murphy M, Oberley T. Mitochondrial redox state regulates transcription of the nuclear-encoded mitochondrial protein manganese superoxide dismutase: a proposed adaptive response to mitochondrial redox imbalance. Free Radic Biol Med. 2005;38:644-54 pubmed..Therefore, the mitochondrial redox state appears to modulate a nuclear-driven biochemical event, i.e., transcriptional activation of a nuclear gene encoding a protein targeted to mitochondria. ..
- Terasaki M. Quantification of fluorescence in thick specimens, with an application to cyclin B-GFP expression in starfish oocytes. Biol Cell. 2006;98:245-52 pubmed
- Mathema B, Kurepina N, Bifani P, Kreiswirth B. Molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis: current insights. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2006;19:658-85 pubmed..Here, we review the current methods, concepts, and applications of molecular approaches used to better understand the epidemiology of TB. ..
- Foott J, Stone R, Wiseman E, True K, Nichols K. Longevity of Ceratomyxa shasta and Parvicapsula minibicornis actinospore infectivity in the Klamath River. J Aquat Anim Health. 2007;19:77-83 pubmed publisher..minibicornis) or the prevalence of infection for both parasites. Actinospores of these myxosporean parasites have the potential to infect salmonids for at least 7 d after release from the alternate polychaete host...
- Hickman D, Swan M, Hartman G. A cost-effective and efficacious method of pinworm treatment for large colonies of mice. Lab Anim (NY). 2008;37:308-12 pubmed publisher..This delivery method proved an efficacious and cost-effective means of eradicating Aspiculuris tetraptera from a large colony of mice. The system might also be used to provide other orally administered agents to mice and other species...
- Krebs M, White D, Kaushal S. Biphasic photoreceptor degeneration induced by light in a T17M rhodopsin mouse model of cone bystander damage. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:2956-65 pubmed publisher..The rapid and synchronous induction of damage in this model is attractive for characterizing bystander effects in retinal degeneration. ..
- Lopes Virella M, Virella G. Clinical significance of the humoral immune response to modified LDL. Clin Immunol. 2010;134:55-65 pubmed publisher..The possibility that spontaneously formed or induced modified LDL antibodies (particularly IgM oxLDL antibodies) may have a protective effect has been suggested, but the data is unclear and needs to be further investigated. ..
- Gray R, Bayly R, Green S, Agarwala S, Lowe C, Wallingford J. Diversification of the expression patterns and developmental functions of the dishevelled gene family during chordate evolution. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2044-57 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the expression patterns and developmental functions of specific Dvl genes have diverged significantly during chordate evolution. ..
- Betancur P, Bronner Fraser M, Sauka Spengler T. Genomic code for Sox10 activation reveals a key regulatory enhancer for cranial neural crest. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3570-5 pubmed publisher..Using cis-regulatory analysis as a tool, our study makes critical connections within the neural crest gene regulatory network, thus being unique in establishing a direct link of upstream effectors to a key neural crest specifier. ..
- Rowe J, Greenblatt R, Liu D, Moffat J. Compounds that target host cell proteins prevent varicella-zoster virus replication in culture, ex vivo, and in SCID-Hu mice. Antiviral Res. 2010;86:276-85 pubmed publisher..In SCID mice with skin xenografts, roscovitine (0.7 mg/kg/day) was as effective as PAA (36 mg/kg/day). The screening systems described here are useful models for evaluating novel antiviral drugs for VZV. ..
- Novak M, Jarrett S, McCorkle J, Mellon I, Kaetzel D. Multiple mechanisms underlie metastasis suppressor function of NM23-H1 in melanoma. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2011;384:433-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, NM23-H1 might oppose not only the motile and invasive characteristics of metastatic cells but also the acquisition of mutations that drive malignant progression to the metastatic phenotype itself. ..
- Boules M, Johnston H, Tozy J, Smith K, Li Z, Richelson E. Analgesic synergy of neurotensin receptor subtype 2 agonist NT79 and morphine. Behav Pharmacol. 2011;22:573-81 pubmed publisher..Isobolographic analyses show analgesic synergism between NT79 and morphine in persistent pain, thus providing a promise of therapy for pain while minimizing adverse effects associated with morphine use. ..
- Law G, Korth M, Benecke A, Katze M. Systems virology: host-directed approaches to viral pathogenesis and drug targeting. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2013;11:455-66 pubmed publisher..To realize these goals, pipettes and Petri dishes need to join forces with the powers of mathematics and computational biology. ..
- Brennan C, Mandel M, Gyllborg M, Thomasgard K, Ruby E. Genetic determinants of swimming motility in the squid light-organ symbiont Vibrio fischeri. Microbiologyopen. 2013;2:576-94 pubmed publisher..fischeri and furthered our understanding of the roles of flagellar motility and chemotaxis in colonization of the juvenile squid, including identifying 11 novel mutants unable to enter into a productive light-organ symbiosis. ..
- Beattie C, Kolva B, Siegel R. GABAA receptor subunit mRNA expression in the weaver cerebellum: modulation by cell-cell interactions. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 1995;88:171-7 pubmed..In contrast, the absolute level of transcript expression attained appears to be modulated by cell-cell interactions or by other extrinsic cues present in the cerebellar environment. ..
- Bilderback T, Gazula V, Lisanti M, Dobrowsky R. Caveolin interacts with Trk A and p75(NTR) and regulates neurotrophin signaling pathways. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:257-63 pubmed..In summary, our results suggest that the interaction of caveolin with neurotrophin receptors may have functional consequences in regulating signaling through p75(NTR) and Trk A in neuronal and glial cell populations. ..
- Tumer N, Scarpace P, Dogan M, Broxson C, Matheny M, Yurek D, et al. Hypothalamic rAAV-mediated GDNF gene delivery ameliorates age-related obesity. Neurobiol Aging. 2006;27:459-70 pubmed..Our observations in aged rats suggest that GDNF may be especially effective in reducing obesity in aged obese rats. ..
- Grote P, Conradt B. The PLZF-like protein TRA-4 cooperates with the Gli-like transcription factor TRA-1 to promote female development in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2006;11:561-73 pubmed..Similar interactions may function in sex determination and developmental regulation in other species. ..
- King K, Stanley W, Rosca M, Kerner J, Hoppel C, Febbraio M. Fatty acid oxidation in cardiac and skeletal muscle mitochondria is unaffected by deletion of CD36. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;467:234-8 pubmed..Palmitate export was not different between wild type and CD36 knock-out mice. Taken together, CD36 does not appear to play an essential role in mitochondrial uptake of fatty acids or export of fatty acid anions...
- Berletch J, Yang F, Disteche C. Escape from X inactivation in mice and humans. Genome Biol. 2010;11:213 pubmed publisher..Chromatin analyses have aimed to discover how genes remain expressed within a repressive environment. ..
- Aleksandrova A, Czirok A, Szabo A, Filla M, Hossain M, Whelan P, et al. Convective tissue movements play a major role in avian endocardial morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;363:348-61 pubmed publisher..These findings point to the importance of large-scale tissue movements that convect cells to the appropriate positions during cardiac organogenesis. ..