Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in United States
Locale: United States
- Adhami V, Siddiqui I, Syed D, Lall R, Mukhtar H. Oral infusion of pomegranate fruit extract inhibits prostate carcinogenesis in the TRAMP model. Carcinogenesis. 2012;33:644-51 pubmed publisher..We suggest that pomegranate juice be evaluated in clinical trials in patients at high risk for developing PCa. ..
- Callison S, Riblet S, Rodríguez Avila A, Garcia M. Reverse restriction fragment length polymorphism (RRFLP): A novel technique for genotyping infectious laryngotracheitis virus (ILTV) live attenuated vaccines. J Virol Methods. 2009;160:119-24 pubmed publisher..These two informative polymorphic sites were used in a RRFLP assay to genotype rapidly and reproducibly ILTV attenuated live vaccines...
- Kisby G, Standley M, Park T, Olivas A, Fei S, Jacob T, et al. Proteomic analysis of the genotoxicant methylazoxymethanol (MAM)-induced changes in the developing cerebellum. J Proteome Res. 2006;5:2656-65 pubmed..These studies demonstrate for the first time the potential networks involved during neuronal development and neurodegenerative processes that are perturbed by MAM...
- Kutuzova G, Akhter S, Christakos S, Vanhooke J, Kimmel Jehan C, DeLuca H. Calbindin D(9k) knockout mice are indistinguishable from wild-type mice in phenotype and serum calcium level. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:12377-81 pubmed..Thus, calbindin D(9k) is not required for viability, reproduction, or calcium homeostasis. ..
- Brooks S, Bailey E. Exon skipping in the KIT gene causes a Sabino spotting pattern in horses. Mamm Genome. 2005;16:893-902 pubmed
- Yu T, Jhun B, Yoon Y. High-glucose stimulation increases reactive oxygen species production through the calcium and mitogen-activated protein kinase-mediated activation of mitochondrial fission. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011;14:425-37 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that high-glucose stimulation induces the activation of mitochondrial fission via signals mediated by intracellular Ca(2+) and ERK1/2. ..
- Pikielny C. Sexy DEG/ENaC channels involved in gustatory detection of fruit fly pheromones. Sci Signal. 2012;5:pe48 pubmed publisher..These reports set the stage for the dissection of the molecular and cellular mechanisms that mediate gustatory detection of contact pheromones. ..
- Calvin H, Wu K, Li W, Guo L, Banerjee U, Fu S. Induction of cortical cataracts in cultured mouse lenses with H-89, an inhibitor of protein kinase A. Curr Eye Res. 2003;27:269-78 pubmed..To compare the effects of two serine-threonine protein kinase inhibitors in a mouse lens culture system previously designed to investigate cortical cataracts caused by L-buthionine sulfoximine (BSO), inhibitor of GSH biosynthesis...
- Appleyard S, Hayward M, Young J, Butler A, Cone R, Rubinstein M, et al. A role for the endogenous opioid beta-endorphin in energy homeostasis. Endocrinology. 2003;144:1753-60 pubmed
- Vaidyanathan R, Vega A, Song C, Zhou Q, Tan B, Tan B, et al. The interaction of caveolin 3 protein with the potassium inward rectifier channel Kir2.1: physiology and pathology related to long qt syndrome 9 (LQT9). J Biol Chem. 2013;288:17472-80 pubmed publisher..1. Kir2.1 loss of function is additive to the increase described previously in late INa, prolonging repolarization and leading to arrhythmia generation in Cav3-mediated LQT9. ..
- Shu Z, Smith S, Wang L, Rice M, Kmiec E. Disruption of muREC2/RAD51L1 in mice results in early embryonic lethality which can Be partially rescued in a p53(-/-) background. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:8686-93 pubmed..These results suggest that muREC2/RAD51L1 plays a role in cell proliferation and early embryonic development, perhaps through interaction with p53. ..
- Santos P, Williams S, Thomas S. Neuromuscular evaluation using rat gait analysis. J Neurosci Methods. 1995;61:79-84 pubmed..The rat gait model is a sensitive and reproducible method for non-invasive evaluation of neuromuscular function during nerve recovery after a peroneal crush injury. ..
- Phares T, Stohlman S, Bergmann C. Intrathecal humoral immunity to encephalitic RNA viruses. Viruses. 2013;5:732-52 pubmed publisher..The sustained Ab production by local ASC, as well as chemokines and cytokines associated with ASC recruitment and retention, are highlighted as critical components of immune control...
- Cheshire W, Ott M. Headache in divers. Headache. 2001;41:235-47 pubmed..Correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment require a careful history and neurologic examination as well as an understanding of the unique physiologic stresses of the subaquatic environment...
- Barton Pai A, Feleder C, Johnson A. Tumor necrosis factor-? induces increased lung vascular permeability: a role for GSK3?/?. Eur J Pharmacol. 2011;657:159-66 pubmed publisher..The data indicates that pharmacologic inhibition of GSK3? inhibits TNF induced increased endothelial permeability associated with lung inflammation. ..
- Nyarko A, Barbar E. Light chain-dependent self-association of dynein intermediate chain. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:1556-66 pubmed publisher..Such flexibility in association modes may function in maintaining a stable and versatile light chain-intermediate chain assembly under changing cellular conditions. ..
- Balish E, Wagner R, Vazquez Torres A, Jones Carson J, Pierson C, Warner T. Mucosal and systemic candidiasis in IL-8Rh-/- BALB/c mice. J Leukoc Biol. 1999;66:144-50 pubmed..These results suggest a role for the IL-8Rh in murine resistance to gastric and acute systemic candidiasis, but not in resistance to systemic candidiasis of endogenous origin. ..
- Wang J, Peng Q, Lin Q, Childress C, Carey D, Yang W. Calcium activates Nedd4 E3 ubiquitin ligases by releasing the C2 domain-mediated auto-inhibition. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:12279-88 pubmed publisher..Our studies have revealed an activation mechanism of Nedd4 E3 ubiquitin ligases and established a connection of intracellular calcium signaling to regulation of protein ubiquitination. ..
- Grider M, Mamounas L, Le W, Shine H. In situ expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor or neurotrophin-3 promotes sprouting of cortical serotonergic axons following a neurotoxic lesion. J Neurosci Res. 2005;82:404-12 pubmed..NGF compared with Adv.EGFP. These data demonstrate that localized overexpression of BDNF or NT-3, but not NGF, is sufficient to promote sprouting of serotonergic axons in the cortex following an experimental neurotoxic injury...
- Xu B, Qu X, Gu S, Doughman Y, Watanabe M, Dunwoodie S, et al. Cited2 is required for fetal lung maturation. Dev Biol. 2008;317:95-105 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Cited2-Tcfap2c complex controls lung maturation by regulating Cebpa expression. Understanding the function of this complex may provide novel therapeutic strategies for patients with respiratory distress syndromes. ..
- Molano I, Mathenia J, Ruiz P, Gilkeson G, Zhang X. Decreased expression of Fli-1 in bone marrow-derived haematopoietic cells significantly affects disease development in Murphy Roths Large/lymphoproliferation (MRL/lpr) mice. Clin Exp Immunol. 2010;160:275-82 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that expression of Fli-1 in haematopoietic cell lineages has a significant effect on disease development in MRL/lpr mice. ..
- Weber C, Henikoff S. Histone variants: dynamic punctuation in transcription. Genes Dev. 2014;28:672-82 pubmed publisher..Here we consider how histone variants and their interacting partners are involved in transcriptional regulation through the creation of unique chromatin states...
- Grey A, Li L, Jacobs M, Schey K, Donaldson P. Differentiation-dependent modification and subcellular distribution of aquaporin-0 suggests multiple functional roles in the rat lens. Differentiation. 2009;77:70-83 pubmed publisher..In the absence of protein synthesis, the observed subcellular redistribution of AQP0 in DF and subsequent cleavage of AQP0 in MF are suggestive of a switch in the function of AQP0 from a water channel to a junctional protein. ..
- Renfranz P, Benzer S. Monoclonal antibody probes discriminate early and late mutant defects in development of the Drosophila retina. Dev Biol. 1989;136:411-29 pubmed..Some mutations apparently affect precursor cells, others the setting up of the pattern, others maintenance of the pattern, and still others later morphogenetic events. ..
- Gonzalez Escobedo G, Marshall J, Gunn J. Chronic and acute infection of the gall bladder by Salmonella Typhi: understanding the carrier state. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2011;9:9-14 pubmed publisher..In this Progress article, we explore recent advances in our understanding of the mechanisms by which Salmonella spp.--predominantly S. Typhi--colonize and persist in the human gall bladder...
- Li H, Wheeler S, Park Y, Ju Z, Thomas S, Fichera M, et al. Proteomic Characterization of Head and Neck Cancer Patient-Derived Xenografts. Mol Cancer Res. 2016;14:278-86 pubmed publisher..Proteomic characterization of HNSCC PDXs demonstrates potential drivers for model selection and provides a framework for improved utilization of this expanding model system. ..
- Swank R, Reddington M, Novak E. Inherited prolonged bleeding time and platelet storage pool deficiency in the subtle gray (sut) mouse. Lab Anim Sci. 1996;46:56-60 pubmed..They indicate, together with related experiments, that bleeding times are highly sensitive to concentrations of platelet dense granule components such as serotonin. ..
- Denkinger C, Denkinger M, Kort J, Metz C, Forsthuber T. In vivo blockade of macrophage migration inhibitory factor ameliorates acute experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by impairing the homing of encephalitogenic T cells to the central nervous system. J Immunol. 2003;170:1274-82 pubmed..Taken together, the results demonstrate an important role for MIF in the pathogenesis of EAE/multiple sclerosis and suggest that MIF blockade may be a promising new strategy for the treatment of multiple sclerosis. ..
- Hong T, Grabel L. Migration of F9 parietal endoderm cells is regulated by the ERK pathway. J Cell Biochem. 2006;97:1339-49 pubmed..Our results suggest that the ERK pathway regulates PE cell migration by affecting the formation of focal adhesions and lamellipodia through the action of myosin light chain kinase (MLCK)...
- Byram S, Serpe C, Pruett S, Sanders V, Jones K. Natural killer cells do not mediate facial motoneuron survival after facial nerve transection. Brain Behav Immun. 2003;17:417-25 pubmed..Thus, NK cells appear to not be a component of immune cell-mediated rescue of motoneurons from axotomy induced cell death. ..
- Lyons E, Tolliver S. Prevalence of parasite eggs (Strongyloides westeri, Parascaris equorum, and strongyles) and oocysts (Emeria leuckarti) in the feces of Thoroughbred foals on 14 farms in central Kentucky in 2003. Parasitol Res. 2004;92:400-4 pubmed..6%) and for oocysts of Eimeria leuckarti (41.6%) in feces of foals. Foals had infections of S. westeri on six farms (42.9%), of P. equorum on 12 farms (86%), and of strongyles and E. leuckarti on all 14 farms (100%)...
- Tam Tam K, LaMarca B, Arany M, Cockrell K, Fournier L, Murphy S, et al. Role of reactive oxygen species during hypertension in response to chronic antiangiogenic factor (sFlt-1) excess in pregnant rats. Am J Hypertens. 2011;24:110-3 pubmed publisher..Pretreatment with Tempol attenuated oxidative stress and hypertension in response to sFlt-1. ROS play an important role in mediating hypertension in response to chronic sFlt-1 excess during pregnancy. ..
- Grosskortenhaus R, Pearson B, Marusich A, Doe C. Regulation of temporal identity transitions in Drosophila neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2005;8:193-202 pubmed..We conclude that two distinct "timers" regulate neuroblast gene expression: a hunchback --> Kruppel timer requiring cytokinesis, and a Kruppel --> pdm1 --> castor timer which is cell cycle independent. ..
- Zhu L, Reese J, Louis J, Campbell L, Chen M. Electrical penetration graph analysis of the feeding behavior of soybean aphids on soybean cultivars with antibiosis. J Econ Entomol. 2011;104:2068-72 pubmed..Our study suggests that resistance factors exist in the phloem of the resistant soybean lines, and that these lines may contain antixenosis in addition to antibiosis. ..
- Gautam N, Northup J, Tamir H, Simon M. G protein diversity is increased by associations with a variety of gamma subunits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:7973-7 pubmed..Diversity in the structure of the gamma as well as the alpha and beta subunits and preferential associations between members of subunit families increase structural and possibly functional diversity of G proteins. ..
- Van Kanegan M, He D, Dunn D, Yang P, Newman R, West A, et al. BDNF mediates neuroprotection against oxygen-glucose deprivation by the cardiac glycoside oleandrin. J Neurosci. 2014;34:963-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings support further investigation of cardiac glycosides in providing neuroprotection in the context of ischemic stroke. ..
- Gould K, Dove W. Localized gene action controlling intestinal neoplasia in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5848-53 pubmed..Here, we investigate the range of action of Apc and Mom1. Analysis of chimeric Min mice indicates that the actions of both Apc and Mom1 are localized within the cell lineage that gives rise to intestinal tumors. ..
- Grafton Cardwell E, Stelinski L, Stansly P. Biology and management of Asian citrus psyllid, vector of the huanglongbing pathogens. Annu Rev Entomol. 2013;58:413-32 pubmed publisher..quot; Our goal is to point toward integrated and biologically relevant management of this pathosystem...
- Zheng L, Nukuna B, Brennan M, Sun M, Goormastic M, Settle M, et al. Apolipoprotein A-I is a selective target for myeloperoxidase-catalyzed oxidation and functional impairment in subjects with cardiovascular disease. J Clin Invest. 2004;114:529-41 pubmed..They also suggest a potential mechanism for MPO-dependent generation of a proatherogenic dysfunctional form of HDL in vivo...
- Wang Y, Liu T, Delmas G, Park S, Perlin D, Xue C. Two major inositol transporters and their role in cryptococcal virulence. Eukaryot Cell. 2011;10:618-28 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study provides evidence that host inositol and fungal inositol transporters are important for Cryptococcus pathogenicity...
- Egelhoff T, Croft D, Steimle P. Actin activation of myosin heavy chain kinase A in Dictyostelium: a biochemical mechanism for the spatial regulation of myosin II filament disassembly. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:2879-87 pubmed
- Reavis K, Chang E, Hunter J, Jobe B. Utilization of the delay phenomenon improves blood flow and reduces collagen deposition in esophagogastric anastomoses. Ann Surg. 2005;241:736-45; discussion 745-7 pubmed..This effect may be applied to esophagogastrectomy, potentially reducing anastomotic complications...
- Goodson J, Kabelik D, Kelly A, Rinaldi J, Klatt J. Midbrain dopamine neurons reflect affiliation phenotypes in finches and are tightly coupled to courtship. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:8737-42 pubmed publisher..We propose that these neurons may be core components of social communication circuits across diverse vertebrate taxa. ..
- Zhao L, Xu J, Shi Z, Englert N, Zhang S. Pregnane X receptor (PXR) deficiency improves high fat diet-induced obesity via induction of fibroblast growth factor 15 (FGF15) expression. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;142:194-203 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that PXR may negatively regulate FGF15 expression and represent a potential therapeutic target for the treatment for metabolic disorders such as obesity. ..
- Gulia Nuss M, Robertson A, Brown M, Strand M. Insulin-like peptides and the target of rapamycin pathway coordinately regulate blood digestion and egg maturation in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20401 pubmed publisher..Both hormonal and nutritional factors are involved in regulating egg development in the mosquito, Aedes aegypti. However, the processes that regulate digestion of the blood meal remain unclear...
- Wang G, Krishnamurthy K, Chiang Y, Dasgupta S, Bieberich E. Regulation of neural progenitor cell motility by ceramide and potential implications for mouse brain development. J Neurochem. 2008;106:718-33 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study provides novel evidence that ceramide is critical for NP motility and polarity in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Popescu A, Popa D, PARE D. Coherent gamma oscillations couple the amygdala and striatum during learning. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:801-7 pubmed publisher..As learning progressed, this gamma coupling selectively increased in relation to the rewarded tone. Thus, coherent gamma oscillations coordinate amygdalostriatal interactions during learning and might facilitate synaptic plasticity. ..
- Schoors S, De Bock K, Cantelmo A, Georgiadou M, Ghesqui re B, Cauwenberghs S, et al. Partial and transient reduction of glycolysis by PFKFB3 blockade reduces pathological angiogenesis. Cell Metab. 2014;19:37-48 pubmed publisher..Although 3PO reduced glycolysis only partially and transiently in vivo, this sufficed to decrease pathological neovascularization in ocular and inflammatory models. These insights may offer therapeutic antiangiogenic opportunities...
- Garrison J, Rold T, Sieckman G, Figueroa S, Volkert W, Jurisson S, et al. In vivo evaluation and small-animal PET/CT of a prostate cancer mouse model using 64Cu bombesin analogs: side-by-side comparison of the CB-TE2A and DOTA chelation systems. J Nucl Med. 2007;48:1327-37 pubmed..The study directly compares 64Cu bombesin analogs using the CB-TE2A and DOTA chelation systems in a prostate cancer xenograft SCID (severely compromised immunodeficient) mouse model...
- Zhang A, Yang F, Wang J, Tsukamoto H, Enns C. Hemojuvelin-neogenin interaction is required for bone morphogenic protein-4-induced hepcidin expression. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:22580-9 pubmed publisher..Combined with our previous studies, our results support that hepatic neogenin possesses two functions, mediation of cellular HJV release, and stimulation of HJV-enhanced hepcidin expression. ..
- Vermot J, Pourquie O. Retinoic acid coordinates somitogenesis and left-right patterning in vertebrate embryos. Nature. 2005;435:215-20 pubmed..Our data indicate that RA is important in buffering the lateralizing influence of the left-right machinery, thus permitting synchronization of the development of the two embryonic sides. ..
- Zorniak M, Clark P, Leeper H, Tipping M, Francis D, Kozak K, et al. Differential expression of 2',3'-cyclic-nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase and neural lineage markers correlate with glioblastoma xenograft infiltration and patient survival. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:3628-36 pubmed publisher..GSC classification with developmental neural lineage markers revealed CNP as a novel and potentially useful clinical prognosis marker, and suggests clinical importance for patient-specific GSC analysis. ..
- Zhao F, Miller P, Wall E, Zheng Y, Dong B, Neville M, et al. Bovine glucose transporter GLUT8: cloning, expression, and developmental regulation in mammary gland. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1680:103-13 pubmed..These results suggest that GLUT8 expression may be regulated by lactogenic hormones and that GLUT8 may play a role in glucose uptake in the lactating mammary gland. ..
- Veum T, Carlson M, Wu C, Bollinger D, Ellersieck M. Copper proteinate in weanling pig diets for enhancing growth performance and reducing fecal copper excretion compared with copper sulfate. J Anim Sci. 2004;82:1062-70 pubmed..2, compared with 250 ppm Cu as CuSO4. However, 50 or 100 ppm Cu as Cu-proteinate increased Cu absorption and retention, and decreased Cu excretion 77 and 61%, respectively, compared with 250 ppm Cu as CuSO4...