Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Brazil
Publications395 found, 100 shown here
- Cereda C, Tofoli G, de Brito Junior R, de Jesus M, Fraceto L, Groppo F, et al. Stability and local toxicity evaluation of a liposomal prilocaine formulation. J Liposome Res. 2008;18:329-39 pubmed
- Oliveira R, Gollob K, Figueiredo J, Alcântara L, Cardoso L, Aquino C, et al. Schistosoma mansoni infection alters co-stimulatory molecule expression and cell activation in asthma. Microbes Infect. 2009;11:223-9 pubmed publisher..mansoni-infected asthmatics. ..
- Sá Filho O, Patterson D, Vasconcelos J. Development of estrous synchronization protocols using melengestrol acetate in Bos indicus cattle. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:1981-90 pubmed publisher..This treatment effectively induced estrous cyclicity among anestrous cows, synchronized estrus activity, and prevented premature luteolysis with no negative effect on pregnancy. ..
- Pinheiro A, Melo D, Macedo L, Freire M, Rocha M, Sidrim J, et al. Antifungal and marker effects of Talisia esculenta lectin on Microsporum canis in vitro. J Appl Microbiol. 2009;107:2063-9 pubmed publisher..Talisia esculenta can be used as an important tool in the biochemical study of M. canis or as a molecule to recognize this dermatophyte in infected tissue. ..
- Viçosa G, Moraes P, Yamazi A, Nero L. Enumeration of coagulase and thermonuclease-positive Staphylococcus spp. in raw milk and fresh soft cheese: an evaluation of Baird-Parker agar, Rabbit Plasma Fibrinogen agar and the Petrifilm Staph Express count system. Food Microbiol. 2010;27:447-52 pubmed publisher
- Cogliati B, Aloia T, Bosch R, Alves V, Hernandez Blazquez F, Dagli M. Identification of hepatic stem/progenitor cells in canine hepatocellular and cholangiocellular carcinoma. Vet Comp Oncol. 2010;8:112-21 pubmed publisher..These findings reiterate the applicability of canine model in the search for new therapies before application in humans...
- Rêgo A, Ramalho R, Egito E, Araujo Filho I, Azevedo I, Palestro C, et al. Biodistribution of technetium-99m pertechnetate after total colectomy in rats. Appl Radiat Isot. 2010;68:2169-73 pubmed publisher..05). Increase in mucosa and muscularis size of ileum was observed. Colectomy was associated with lower biodistribution in bladder and thyroid, T3, and T4, than in controls...
- Perez Mendes P, Blanco M, Calcagnotto M, Cinini S, Bachiega J, Papoti D, et al. Modeling epileptogenesis and temporal lobe epilepsy in a non-human primate. Epilepsy Res. 2011;96:45-57 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that pilocarpine marmoset model of epilepsy has great resemblance to human TLE, and could provide new tools to further evaluate the subtle changes associated with human epilepsy...
- Bocalini D, dos Santos L, Antonio E, Santos A, Davel A, Rossoni L, et al. Myocardial remodeling after large infarcts in rat converts post rest-potentiation in force decay. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2012;98:243-51 pubmed..Our results showed, for the first time ever, that myocardial remodeling after MI in rats may change the regular potentiation to post-rest decay by affecting myocyte Ca(2+) handling proteins. ..
- Fonseca E, da Silva G, Fernandes M, Giusti H, Noronha De Souza C, Glass M, et al. The breathing pattern and the ventilatory response to aquatic and aerial hypoxia and hypercarbia in the frog Pipa carvalhoi. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2012;162:281-7 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, it does not respond to low O(2) levels in water, although it does so in air. The observed ventilatory responses to hypercarbia may indicate that this species is similar to other anurans in possessing central chemoreceptors...
- Lima M, Silva S, Silva R, Oliveira K, Batista E, Maximino C, et al. Putative involvement of the nitrergic system on the consolidation, but not initiation, of behavioral sensitization after conspecific alarm substance in zebrafish. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2015;139 Pt B:127-33 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a participation of nitric oxide in the consolidation, but not in the initiation, of behavioral sensitization after predator threat. ..
- do Nascimento L, da Silveira L, Nisembaum L, Colquhoun A, Abe A, Mandarim de Lacerda C, et al. Morphological and metabolic adjustments in the small intestine to energy demands of growth, storage, and fasting in the first annual cycle of a hibernating lizard (Tupinambis merianae). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2016;195:55-64 pubmed publisher..In addition, the Vmax of the glycolytic enzymes was lower, indicating that a regulatory mechanism would spare blood glucose for vital organs during unanticipated food restriction. ..
- Queiroga F, Marques Santos L, de Medeiros I, Da Silva P. Effects of salinity and temperature on in vitro cell cycle and proliferation of Perkinsus marinus from Brazil. Parasitology. 2016;143:475-87 pubmed publisher..marinus recovery, which is likely to be associated with oxidative stress. These findings will contribute to the understanding of the dynamics of perkinsiosis in tropical regions. ..
- Waller S, Madrid I, Hoffmann J, Picoli T, Cleff M, Chaves F, et al. Chemical composition and cytotoxicity of extracts of marjoram and rosemary and their activity against Sporothrix brasiliensis. J Med Microbiol. 2017;66:1076-1083 pubmed publisher..S. schenckiisensu stricto was sensitive to marjoram extracts (MIC/MFC ?5 mg ml-1), with the exception of INF10. These findings support the potential usefulness of the HAE of marjoram in the treatment of sporotrichosis. ..
- de Lima W, da Silva Z. Contractile responses of proximal and distal trachea segments isolated from rats subjected to immunological stimulation: role of connective tissue mast cells. Gen Pharmacol. 1998;30:689-95 pubmed..7. Mediators released by connective tissue mast cells in proximal and distal segments play a pivotal role in this response and may account for variations in the intensity of contraction seen after the addition of OA. ..
- Artal F, Mesquita H, Gepp R, Antunes J, Kalil R. Neurological picture. Brain involvement in a Schistosoma mansoni myelopathy patient. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77:512 pubmed
- Guimarães N, Mello J, Paiva J, Bueno P, Berretta A, Torquato R, et al. Baccharis dracunculifolia, the main source of green propolis, exhibits potent antioxidant activity and prevents oxidative mitochondrial damage. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:1091-7 pubmed publisher..This shows that B. dracunculifolia exhibit potent antioxidant activity protecting liver mitochondria against oxidative damage and such action probably contribute to the antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of green propolis. ..
- Figliuolo V, dos Santos L, Abalo A, Nanini H, Santos A, Brittes N, et al. Sulfate-reducing bacteria stimulate gut immune responses and contribute to inflammation in experimental colitis. Life Sci. 2017;189:29-38 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SRB contribute to immune response activation in the gut and play an important role in colitis development. ..
- Mendez Otero R, Cavalcante L. Expression of 9-O-acetylated gangliosides is correlated with tangential cell migration in the rat brain. Neurosci Lett. 1996;204:97-100 pubmed..That suggests 9-O-aGs' involvement in tangential cell migration as well in other neural directional movements. ..
- Agner A, Maciel M, Pinto A, Côlus I. Antigenotoxicity of trans-dehydrocrotonin, a clerodane diterpene from Croton cajucara. Planta Med. 2001;67:815-9 pubmed..Based on these observations, it can be suggested that gavage is the most effective method of administering t-DCTN. In addition, t-DCTN showed no cytotoxic effects in the bone marrow cells regardless of the route of exposure. ..
- Petrucci Junior O, Oliveira P, Carmo M, Vieira R, Braile D. Standardization of an isolated pig heart preparation with parabiotic circulation: methodological considerations. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2003;36:649-59 pubmed..The model introduces an advantage over the classical models which use crystalloid solutions as perfusate, because parabiotic circulation mimics heart surgery with extracorporeal circulation. ..
- Méo S, Yamazaki W, Leal C, de Oliveira J, Garcia J. Use of strontium for bovine oocyte activation. Theriogenology. 2005;63:2089-102 pubmed..26-0.27). In conclusion, strontium may be efficiently applied for bovine oocyte activation at 20 mM in Ca2+- and Mg2+-free TALP medium for 6 h. ..
- RosÃ¡rio M, Ribeiro U, Corbett C, Ozaki A, Bresciani C, Zilberstein B, et al. Does CO2 pneumoperitoneum alter the ultra-structuture of the mesothelium?. J Surg Res. 2006;133:84-8 pubmed..0001. Pneumoperitoneum causes damage in the mesothelial ultra-structure, which differs from the laparotomy group. CO(2) pneumoperitoneum is more harmful to the mesothelium than the air. ..
- Cortez M, Pinho A, Cuervo P, Alfaro F, Solano M, Xavier S, et al. Trypanosoma cruzi (Kinetoplastida Trypanosomatidae): ecology of the transmission cycle in the wild environment of the Andean valley of Cochabamba, Bolivia. Exp Parasitol. 2006;114:305-13 pubmed..cruzi. Furthermore, the finding of high prevalence of T. cruzi infection in wild T. infestans point to the risk of the dispersion of Chagas' disease. ..
- Furtado V, Braulio V, Zucoloto S, Iglesias A. Increase of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase activity in the small bowel brush-border membrane after massive intestinal distal resection in rats. APMIS. 2007;115:814-9 pubmed..The observed increase in PEMT-specific activity in the residual intestine suggests that extensive enterectomy stimulates the synthesis of phosphatidylcholine by the PEMT-controlled pathway. ..
- Degrossoli A, Bosetto M, Lima C, Giorgio S. Expression of hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha in mononuclear phagocytes infected with Leishmania amazonensis. Immunol Lett. 2007;114:119-25 pubmed..These studies indicated that HIF-1alpha could play a role in adaptative and immune responses of mononuclear phagocytes presenting infection by the parasite L. amazonensis. ..
- Lanza D, Trindade D, Assmann E, Kobarg J. Over-expression of GFP-FEZ1 causes generation of multi-lobulated nuclei mediated by microtubules in HEK293 cells. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2028-39 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data suggest that FEZ1 has an important centrosomal function and supply new mechanistic insights to the formation of flower-like nuclei, which are a phenotypical hallmark of human leukemia cells. ..
- Gomes N, Rezende C, Fontes S, Hovell A, Landgraf R, Matheus M, et al. Antineoplasic activity of Copaifera multijuga oil and fractions against ascitic and solid Ehrlich tumor. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:179-84 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, C. multijuga as well as its fractions demonstrated antineoplasic effect even after oral administration confirming its use by traditional medicine. ..
- Bitencourt R, Pamplona F, Takahashi R. Facilitation of contextual fear memory extinction and anti-anxiogenic effects of AM404 and cannabidiol in conditioned rats. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008;18:849-59 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, CBD, a non-psychoactive phytocannabinoid could be an interesting pharmacological approach to reduce the anxiogenic effects of stress and promote the extinction of fear memories. ..
- Chiarelli Neto O, Yotoko K, Vidigal P, Silva F, Castro L, Fietto J, et al. Classification and putative origins of Brazilian porcine circovirus 2 inferred through phylogenetic and phylogeographical approaches. Virus Res. 2009;140:57-63 pubmed publisher..The results point to the necessity of implementing programs aimed at selecting sows in order to avoid the import of animals infected by Group 1 PCV2. ..
- Guedes R, Magalhaes L, Cosme L. Stimulatory sublethal response of a generalist predator to permethrin: hormesis, hormoligosis, or homeostatic regulation?. J Econ Entomol. 2009;102:170-6 pubmed..0001), which also shows a peak at 1.72 ppb, leading to higher reproductive values of insects exposed to this dose. The phenomenon is consistent with insecticide-induced hormesis, for which the potential implications are discussed. ..
- Santana M, Garcia C, Xisto D, Nagato L, Lassance R, Prota L, et al. Prone position prevents regional alveolar hyperinflation and mechanical stress and strain in mild experimental acute lung injury. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2009;167:181-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, prone position may protect the lungs against VILI, thus reducing pulmonary stress and strain. ..
- Pereira W, Kloos H, Crawford S, Velásquez Melendez J, Matoso L, Fujiwara R, et al. Schistosoma mansoni infection in a rural area of the Jequitinhonha Valley, Minas Gerais, Brazil: analysis of exposure risk. Acta Trop. 2010;113:34-41 pubmed publisher..0005, 95% CI=1.07-1.24). Although any causal relationship cannot be confirmed by a cross-sectional study, we demonstrated an associated decrease in prevalence and intensity of S. mansoni infection with increased IgE levels. ..
- Masuda E, Kommers G, Martins T, Barros C, Piazer J. Morphological factors as indicators of malignancy of squamous cell carcinomas in cattle exposed naturally to bracken fern (Pteridium aquilinum). J Comp Pathol. 2011;144:48-54 pubmed publisher..The morphological factors analyzed were all related to histological grading, which is the major factor predicting the biological behaviour of SCCs in cattle naturally exposed to bracken fern...
- Montico F, Fávaro W, Cândido E, Martinez M, Pinheiro P, Martinez F, et al. Alcoholism and coagulating gland: androgen and insulin like growth factor-1 receptor features. Tissue Cell. 2010;42:203-10 pubmed publisher..The alcohol was an important factor in cellular mitosis occurrence, which could be fundamental element involved in glandular lesions. ..
- Rigato P, Maciel M, Goldoni A, Piubelli O, de Brito C, Fusaro A, et al. Immunization of neonatal mice with LAMP/p55 HIV gag DNA elicits robust immune responses that last to adulthood. Virology. 2010;406:37-47 pubmed publisher..The LAMP/gag DNA vaccine strategy could be particularly useful for generating an anti-HIV immune response in the early postnatal period capable of inducing long-term immunological memory. ..
- Salvador S, Ribeiro R, Winckler M, Ohlweiler L, Riesgo R. Pediatric neurotoxocariasis with concomitant cerebral, cerebellar, and peripheral nervous system involvement: case report and review of the literature. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2010;86:531-4 pubmed publisher..To alert pediatricians to the neurologic consequences of toxocariasis and to describe the first pediatric case of neurotoxocariasis with concomitant cerebral, cerebellar and peripheral nervous system involvement...
- Piovesan E, Leite L, Teive H, Kowacs P, Mulinari R, Radunz V, et al. Botulinum toxin type-A effect as a preemptive treatment in a model of acute trigeminal pain: a pre-clinical double-blind and placebo-controlled study. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2011;69:56-63 pubmed..Motor activity was similar in both groups. BoNT/A showed to be effective preventing inflammatory pain up to eight days after the first treatment, an effect not reproduced on the second dose administration. ..
- Braga F, Araújo J, Araujo J, Tavela A, Ferreira S, Freitas Soares F, et al. Influence of the preservation period in silica-gel on the predatory activity of the isolates of Duddingtonia flagrans on infective larvae of cyathostomins (Nematoda: Cyathostominae). Exp Parasitol. 2011;128:460-3 pubmed publisher..The results of this test showed that the fungus D. flagrans (AC001 and CG722) stored in silica-gel for at least 7 years maintained its predatory activity on cyathostomin L(3)...
- Aguiar G, Batista B, Rodrigues J, Silva L, Campiglia A, Barbosa R, et al. Determination of trace elements in bovine semen samples by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry and data mining techniques for identification of bovine class. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95:7066-73 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the selection tools made it possible to reduce the number of chemical elements needed from 15 to just 8. ..
- Nascimento M, Souza A, Chaves A, Cesar A, Tullio R, Medeiros S, et al. Feed efficiency indexes and their relationships with carcass, non-carcass and meat quality traits in Nellore steers. Meat Sci. 2016;116:78-85 pubmed publisher..8% and 11.2% lower extracted intramuscular fat, compared to inefficient-RFI and inefficient-RIG animals, respectively. Efficient-RFI animals had tougher meat compared to inefficient-RFI animals. ..
- Fernandes de Lima V, Pereira A. The Plastic Glial-Synaptic Dynamics within the Neuropil: A Self-Organizing System Composed of Polyelectrolytes in Phase Transition. Neural Plast. 2016;2016:7192427 pubmed publisher..In our approach, neural plasticity is seen as part of a larger process that encompasses higher brain functions; in this regard, hydroionic waves within the neuropil are considered to carry both physiological and cognitive functions. ..
- Alves R, Pereira B, Ribeiro R, Pitol D, Ciamarro C, Valim J, et al. The scale epithelium as a novel, non-invasive tool for environmental assessment in fish: Testing exposure to linear alkylbenzene sulfonate. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2016;129:43-50 pubmed publisher..However, more studies are required to increase the robustness of the technique before it can be generally applied. ..
- Rocha C, Pessoa C, Rodrigues C, Pinheiro R, Costa E, Guimarães A, et al. Investigation into the cytotoxicity and mutagenicity of the Marajó Archipelago waters using Plagioscion squamosissimus (Perciformes: Sciaenidae) as a bioindicator. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2016;132:111-5 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that the Amazonian fish P. squamosissimus is important not only as a comestible species but also as an adequate model for biomonitoring in aquatic environments. ..
- de Olyveira G, Basmaji P, Costa L, Dos Santos M, dos Santos Riccardi C, Guastaldi F, et al. Surface physical chemistry properties in coated bacterial cellulose membranes with calcium phosphate. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2017;75:1359-1365 pubmed publisher..Thus, it was produced one biomaterial with the surface charge changes for calcium phosphate deposition, besides different wettability which builds new membranes for Guided Tissue Regeneration. ..
- Landucci E, Castro R, Pereira M, Cintra A, Giglio J, Marangoni S, et al. Mast cell degranulation induced by two phospholipase A2 homologues: dissociation between enzymatic and biological activities. Eur J Pharmacol. 1998;343:257-63 pubmed..Our results also indicate that p-bromophenacyl bromide may not be a suitable pharmacological tool to investigate the correlation between enzymatic activity and the inflammatory effects of phospholipases A2. ..
- Werebe E, Pazetti R, Milanez de Campos J, Fernandez P, Capelozzi V, Jatene F, et al. Systemic distribution of talc after intrapleural administration in rats. Chest. 1999;115:190-3 pubmed..The objective of this experimental study is to recognize the systemic distribution of talc after its instillation into the pleural space of rats...
- Volpato G, Barreto R. Environmental blue light prevents stress in the fish Nile tilapia. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2001;34:1041-5 pubmed..After confinement, plasma cortisol levels were not increased in fish submitted to a blue light environment. Thus, blue light prevents the confinement-induced cortisol response, an effect not necessarily related to light intensity. ..
- Poester F, Gonçalves V, Lage A. Brucellosis in Brazil. Vet Microbiol. 2002;90:55-62 pubmed..Emphasis is given to the new program for the control of brucellosis in cattle and buffaloes that is likely to provide important insights into the prospects and strategies for controlling brucellosis in developing countries. ..
- Santos L, Bonatti T, Cantusio Neto R, Franco R. Occurrence of Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts in activated sludge samples in Campinas, SP, Brazil. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2004;46:309-13 pubmed
- Rosa E, Mills J, Padula P, Elkhoury M, Ksiazek T, Mendes W, et al. Newly recognized hantaviruses associated with hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in northern Brazil: partial genetic characterization of viruses and serologic implication of likely reservoirs. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2005;5:11-9 pubmed..O. fornesi was frequently captured in and around human dwellings. H. sciureus, is a semi-aquatic rodent captured only in remote areas rarely frequented by humans. ..
- Lilenbaum W, Varges R, Moraes I, Ferreira A, Pissinatti A. Leptospiral antibodies in captive lion tamarins (Leontopithecus sp) in Brazil. Vet J. 2005;169:462-4 pubmed..Seroreactivity prevalence was lower than that described in other non-human primates and could be explained by the arboreal behaviour of these animals. Icterohaemorrhagiae was the most common serogroup. ..
- Vilamaior P, Taboga S, Carvalho H. Modulation of smooth muscle cell function: morphological evidence for a contractile to synthetic transition in the rat ventral prostate after castration. Cell Biol Int. 2005;29:809-16 pubmed
- Bertelli J, Taleb M, Mira J, Ghizoni M. Variation in nerve autograft length increases fibre misdirection and decreases pruning effectiveness: an experimental study in the rat median nerve. Neurol Res. 2005;27:657-65 pubmed..Variation in the length of nerve grafts interferes in behavioural recovery and increases motor fibres misdirection. Early recovery onset was related to a better outcome, which occurs in the short graft group. ..
- Franke S, Pra D, Giulian R, Dias J, Yoneama M, da Silva J, et al. Influence of orange juice in the levels and in the genotoxicity of iron and copper. Food Chem Toxicol. 2006;44:425-35 pubmed..A negative correlation between hepatic iron and whole blood copper content was also seen in the treatment with both ferrous and cupric sulfates. ..
- Carvalho B, Bassani R, Franchini K, Bassani J. Enhanced calcium mobilization in rat ventricular myocytes during the onset of pressure overload-induced hypertrophy. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H1803-13 pubmed..Increase in SR Ca(2+) uptake may contribute to enhancement of excitation-contraction coupling (augmented SR Ca(2+) content and release) and protection against arrhythmogenesis due to buildup of [Ca(2+)](i) during diastole. ..
- Cardoso C, de Syllos Cólus I, Bernardi C, Sannomiya M, Vilegas W, Varanda E. Mutagenic activity promoted by amentoflavone and methanolic extract of Byrsonima crassa Niedenzu. Toxicology. 2006;225:55-63 pubmed
- Iñiguez A, Reinhard K, Carvalho Gonçalves M, Ferreira L, Araujo A, Paulo Vicente A. SL1 RNA gene recovery from Enterobius vermicularis ancient DNA in pre-Columbian human coprolites. Int J Parasitol. 2006;36:1419-25 pubmed..We were successful in detecting E. vermicularis aDNA even in coprolites without direct microscopic evidence of the eggs, improving the diagnosis of helminth infections in the past and further pinworm paleoepidemiological studies...
- Favaro E, Dibo M, Mondini A, Ferreira A, Barbosa A, Eiras A, et al. Physiological state of Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti mosquitoes captured with MosquiTRAPs in Mirassol, São Paulo, Brazil. J Vector Ecol. 2006;31:285-91 pubmed..The capacity of the MosquiTRAP to capture a large number of gravid Ae. aegypti females reinforces its potential as an entomological surveillance tool in dengue control programs. ..
- Guindalini C, Andersen M, Alvarenga T, Lee K, Tufik S. To what extent is sleep rebound effective in reversing the effects of paradoxical sleep deprivation on gene expression in the brain?. Behav Brain Res. 2009;201:53-8 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results provide a unique set of transcripts that might be specific related to regulation of paradoxical sleep phase and sleep homeostasis processes, as well as to the biological basis of sleep disorders. ..
- Adaramoye O, Anjos R, Almeida M, Veras R, Silvia D, Oliveira F, et al. Hypotensive and endothelium-independent vasorelaxant effects of methanolic extract from Curcuma longa L. in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009;124:457-62 pubmed publisher..These effects, may in part, be due to the inhibition of extracellular Ca(2+) influx and/or inhibition of intracellular Ca(2+) mobilization from Phe-sensitive stores. ..
- Silveira H, Oliveira P, Trigo J. Attracting predators without falling prey: chemical camouflage protects honeydew-producing treehoppers from ant predation. Am Nat. 2010;175:261-8 pubmed publisher..Thus chemical camouflage in G. xiphias allows the trophobiont to attract predaceous bodyguards at reduced risk of falling prey itself. ..
- Coelho M, Lopes K, Freitas R, de Oliveira Sales E, Bergasmaschi C, Campos R, et al. High sucrose intake in rats is associated with increased ACE2 and angiotensin-(1-7) levels in the adipose tissue. Regul Pept. 2010;162:61-7 pubmed publisher..These RAS component changes seem to be tissue specific and possibly are related to enhancement of FA synthesis, EPI mass and hypertension. ..
- Lima G, Zolini G, Mansur D, Freire Lima B, Wischhoff U, Astigarraga R, et al. Toll-like receptor (TLR) 2 and TLR9 expressed in trigeminal ganglia are critical to viral control during herpes simplex virus 1 infection. Am J Pathol. 2010;177:2433-45 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that HSV-1 infection is controlled by TLR-dependent immune responses in the TG, which prevent HSV-1 encephalitis. ..
- Martins G, Serrão J, RAMALHO ORTIGAO J, Pimenta P. Histochemical and ultrastructural studies of the mosquito Aedes aegypti fat body: effects of aging and diet type. Microsc Res Tech. 2011;74:1032-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the trophocytes and oenocytes remodeling is likely involved in functional changes of fat body that take place during aging and following a blood meal in A. aegypti females...
- Rodrigues Simioni L, Floriano R, Rostelato Ferreira S, Sousa N, Marangoni S, Ponce Soto L, et al. Presynaptic action of Bothriopsis bilineata smargadina (forest viper) venom in vitro. Toxicon. 2011;58:140-5 pubmed publisher..In curarized mouse preparations, the venom produced only muscle facilitation. These results indicate that B. b. smargadina venom causes neuromuscular blockade in vitro by a presynaptic mechanism involving PLA(2). ..
- Bigeli J, Oliveira W, Teles N. Diagnosis of Leishmania (Leishmania) chagasi infection in dogs and the relationship with environmental and sanitary aspects in the municipality of Palmas, State of Tocantins, Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2012;45:18-23 pubmed..The model presented in the city is ideal for studies of disease progression and expansion and for the evaluation of control measures adopted for canine VL. ..
- Rocha R, Lima L, Alves A, Celestino J, Matos M, Lima Verde I, et al. Interaction between melatonin and follicle-stimulating hormone promotes in vitro development of caprine preantral follicles. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2013;44:1-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study demonstrated that the interaction between melatonin and FSH maintains ultrastructural integrity and stimulates further growth of cultured caprine preantral follicles...
- Brianti M, Ananina G, Klaczko L. Differential occurrence of chromosome inversion polymorphisms among Muller's elements in three species of the tripunctata group of Drosophila, including a species with fast chromosomal evolution. Genome. 2013;56:17-26 pubmed publisher..It has two chromosome fusions: an additional heterochromatic chromosome pair and a pericentric inversion in the X chromosome. This especial conformation suggests a fast chromosomal evolution that deserves further study. ..
- Regis L, Acioli R, Silveira J, Melo Santos M, Souza W, Ribeiro C, et al. Sustained reduction of the dengue vector population resulting from an integrated control strategy applied in two Brazilian cities. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67682 pubmed publisher..Additionally, it created a stimulating environment for health staff and residents, which had a positive impact on their commitment to the dengue control program. ..
- Faccini Martínez Á, Ramírez Hernández A, Barreto C, Forero Becerra E, Millán D, Valbuena E, et al. Epidemiology of Spotted Fever Group Rickettsioses and Acute Undifferentiated Febrile Illness in Villeta, Colombia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:782-788 pubmed publisher..Further studies must identify different epidemiological variables to establish proper surveillance and control programs. ..
- Barba Vidal E, Buttow Roll V, Garcia Manzanilla E, Torrente C, Moreno Munoz J, Pérez J, et al. Blood parameters as biomarkers in a Salmonella spp. disease model of weaning piglets. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186781 pubmed publisher..The objective of the present study is to evaluate the use of different BP as indicators in an experimental model of salmonellosis...
- Gobbi H, Barbosa A, Nogueira J, Polak J, Teixeira V, Almeida H. Enkephalin- and serotonin-like immunoreactivity in the aortico-pulmonary paraganglia of the white-belly opossum Didelphis albiventris (Marsupialia). Histochem J. 1992;24:110-4 pubmed..The hypothesis is raised that these peptides and serotonin, besides catecholamines, produced by these paraganglia may play a physiological role in the functions of the cardiovascular system of the white-belly opossum...
- Pinto P, Vaz A, Germano P, Nakamura P. Performance of the ELISA test for swine cysticercosis using antigens of Taenia solium and Taenia crassiceps cysticerci. Vet Parasitol. 2000;88:127-30 pubmed..5 and 100.0%. Cross-reactivity was verified only for hidatidosis and ascaridiosis. Due to the high performance observed, the ELISA test using Tcra antigens should be recommended for the diagnosis of swine cysticercosis. ..
- Pinheiro S, Carneiro R, Aca I, Irmão J, Morais M, Coimbra M, et al. Determination of the prevalence of Entamoeba histolytica and E. dispar in the pernambuco state of northeastern Brazil by a polymerase chain reaction. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2004;70:221-4 pubmed..19%) were positive for E. dispar and no amplification was observed for pathogenic E. histolytica. The remaining eight samples were negative for both species. These findings are consistent with those previously reported. ..
- Lima e Silva M, Szabo M, Bechara G. Microscopic features of tick-bite lesions in anteaters and armadillos: Emas National Park and the Pantanal region of Brazil. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1026:235-41 pubmed..Mast cells were also seen in both non-parasitized and parasitized skin but were found in higher numbers at perivascular sites and in parasitized skin. Basophils were not seen at tick attachment sites of anteaters or armadillos...
- Oldoni I, Brown C, King D, Samal S, Seal B. The use of in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry to study the pathogenesis of various Newcastle disease virus strains and recombinants in embryonated chicken eggs. Microb Pathog. 2005;39:69-75 pubmed..Disruption of P gene decreased dissemination of velogeinic infectious clones. It is concluded that each of these genes contributes to pathogenicity. ..
- Bicca Marques J. The win-stay rule in foraging decisions by free-ranging titi monkeys (Callicebus cupreus cupreus) and Tamarins (Saguinus imperator imperator and Saguinus fuscicollis weddelli). J Comp Psychol. 2005;119:343-51 pubmed..All 3 species consistently adopted a win-stay rule for returning to reward platforms when their location was predictable over time but stopped using it when their spatial distribution changed randomly across experimental trials. ..
- Grassi T, Camargo E, Salvadori D, Marques M, Ribeiro D. DNA damage in multiple organs after exposure to chlorhexidine in Wistar rats. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2007;210:163-7 pubmed..Taken together, the data indicate that leukocytes and kidney cells are potential targets for primary DNA damage following oral exposure to chlorhexidine digluconate as detected by single cell gel (comet) assay. ..
- Campos E, Façanha A, Moraes J, da Silva Vaz I, Masuda A, Logullo C. A mitochondrial exopolyphosphatase activity modulated by phosphate demand in Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus embryo. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:1103-7 pubmed..The data describe exopoly P as being modulated by Pi demand and related to energy supply during embryogenesis of hard ticks. ..
- de Souza Barbosa T, Salvitti Sá Rocha R, Guirado C, Rocha F, Duarte Gaviao M. Oral infection by Diptera larvae in children: a case report. Int J Dermatol. 2008;47:696-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, the public should be informed that individuals living in locations without basic sanitation are more predisposed to infestation. ..