Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on amino acid sequence homology in Denmark
Topic: amino acid sequence homology
Publications106 found, 100 shown here
- Teilum K, Hoch J, Goffin V, Kinet S, Martial J, Kragelund B. Solution structure of human prolactin. J Mol Biol. 2005;351:810-23 pubmed..This is in stark contrast to the widely held view that the ternary prolactin-receptor complex is only transiently formed. Thus, our results lead to improved understanding of the prolactin-prolactin receptor interaction. ..
- Grønlund H, Gerdes K. Toxin-antitoxin systems homologous with relBE of Escherichia coli plasmid P307 are ubiquitous in prokaryotes. J Mol Biol. 1999;285:1401-15 pubmed..Even more surprising, numerous relBE-homologous gene systems are present on the chromosomes of Archae. Thus, toxin-antitoxin systems homologous with relBE of E. coli are ubiquitous in prokaryotic organisms. ..
- Jensen C, Krogh T, Højrup P, Clausen P, Skjødt K, Larsson L, et al. Protein structure of fetal antigen 1 (FA1). A novel circulating human epidermal-growth-factor-like protein expressed in neuroendocrine tumors and its relation to the gene products of dlk and pG2. Eur J Biochem. 1994;225:83-92 pubmed
- Hansen J, Cherest H, Kielland Brandt M. Two divergent MET10 genes, one from Saccharomyces cerevisiae and one from Saccharomyces carlsbergensis, encode the alpha subunit of sulfite reductase and specify potential binding sites for FAD and NADPH. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:6050-8 pubmed
- Frolova L, Le Goff X, Rasmussen H, Cheperegin S, Drugeon G, Kress M, et al. A highly conserved eukaryotic protein family possessing properties of polypeptide chain release factor. Nature. 1994;372:701-3 pubmed publisher..The amino-acid sequence of the eRF1 family is highly conserved. We conclude that the eRF1 proteins are directly implicated in the termination of translation in eukaryotes...
- Rønnow B, Kielland Brandt M. GUT2, a gene for mitochondrial glycerol 3-phosphate dehydrogenase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 1993;9:1121-30 pubmed..We conclude that the presented ORF is the GUT2 gene and propose that it is the structural gene for the mitochondrial glycerol 3-phosphate dehydrogenase. ..
- Møller J, Juul B, le Maire M. Structural organization, ion transport, and energy transduction of P-type ATPases. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1996;1286:1-51 pubmed
- Tarabykina S, Scott D, Herzyk P, Hill T, Tame J, Kriajevska M, et al. The dimerization interface of the metastasis-associated protein S100A4 (Mts1): in vivo and in vitro studies. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:24212-22 pubmed..Our mutation data showed that the specificity at the dimerization surface is not particularly stringent, which is consistent with recent data indicating that S100 proteins can form heterodimers. ..
- Iversen A, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Hauser F, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular identification of the first insect ecdysis triggering hormone receptors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;299:924-31 pubmed..Ecdysis (cuticle shedding) is an important behaviour, allowing growth and metamorphosis in insects and other arthropods. Our paper is the first report on the molecular identification of ecdysis triggering hormone receptors from insects. ..
- Marquart H, Schejbel L, Sjoholm A, Martensson U, Nielsen S, Koch A, et al. C1q deficiency in an Inuit family: identification of a new class of C1q disease-causing mutations. Clin Immunol. 2007;124:33-40 pubmed..None of 100 healthy controls carried the mutation. Our findings define a third class of molecular mechanisms behind C1q deficiency, where missense mutations cause a lack of detectable C1q-antigen in serum. ..
- Honore B, Leffers H, Madsen P, Celis J. Interferon-gamma up-regulates a unique set of proteins in human keratinocytes. Molecular cloning and expression of the cDNA encoding the RGD-sequence-containing protein IGUP I-5111. Eur J Biochem. 1993;218:421-30 pubmed..Psoriatic keratinocytes were equally sensitive to IFN-gamma as their normal counterparts. ..
- Carri re F, Thirstrup K, Hjorth S, Boel E. Cloning of the classical guinea pig pancreatic lipase and comparison with the lipase related protein 2. FEBS Lett. 1994;338:63-8 pubmed..Their distinct physiological roles are discussed in the light of functional amino acid differences...
- Almeida R, Amado M, David L, Levery S, Holmes E, Merkx G, et al. A family of human beta4-galactosyltransferases. Cloning and expression of two novel UDP-galactose:beta-n-acetylglucosamine beta1, 4-galactosyltransferases, beta4Gal-T2 and beta4Gal-T3. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:31979-91 pubmed..The existence of multiple beta4-galactosyltransferases with the same or overlapping functions may be relevant for interpretation of biological functions previously assigned to beta4Gal-T1. ..
- Knecht W, Sandrini M, Johansson K, Eklund H, Munch Petersen B, Piskur J. A few amino acid substitutions can convert deoxyribonucleoside kinase specificity from pyrimidines to purines. EMBO J. 2002;21:1873-80 pubmed..Upon gene duplication of the progenitor kinase, only a limited number of single amino acid changes has taken place in each copy and resulted in substrate-specialized enzymes. ..
- Nissen P, Thomsen B, Offenberg H, Thomsen P, Bendixen C. Cloning and characterization of the bovine EGR4 gene and evaluation as candidate gene for bovine spinal dysmyelination. Anim Genet. 2003;34:124-31 pubmed..Furthermore, 87 animals of different cattle breeds were screened for single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) resulting in the identification of two SNPs in EGR4. ..
- Egerod K, Reynisson E, Hauser F, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular cloning and functional expression of the first two specific insect myosuppressin receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9808-13 pubmed..To our knowledge, this paper is the first report on the molecular identification of specific insect myosuppressin receptors. ..
- Hofius D, Maier A, Dietrich C, Jungkunz I, B rnke F, Maiss E, et al. Capsid protein-mediated recruitment of host DnaJ-like proteins is required for Potato virus Y infection in tobacco plants. J Virol. 2007;81:11870-80 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that NtCPIPs act as important susceptibility factors during PVY infection, possibly by recruiting heat shock protein 70 chaperones for viral assembly and/or cellular spread...
- Madsen L, Andersen K, Prag S, Moos T, Semple C, Seeger M, et al. Ubxd1 is a novel co-factor of the human p97 ATPase. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:2927-42 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of Ubxd1 expression by siRNA did not affect the degradation of bulk protein or a model substrate of the ERAD pathway, indicating that Ubxd1 directs p97 activity to specialized functions in vivo. ..
- Siggaard Andersen M, Wissenbach M, Chuck J, Svendsen I, Olsen J, von Wettstein Knowles P. The fabJ-encoded beta-ketoacyl-[acyl carrier protein] synthase IV from Escherichia coli is sensitive to cerulenin and specific for short-chain substrates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:11027-31 pubmed..The described complementation assay can be used to detect condensing enzymes with other substrate specificities by supplementing the cerulenin-treated extract with appropriate purified KAS enzymes. ..
- Mortensen O, Kristensen A, Rudnick G, Wiborg O. Molecular cloning, expression and characterization of a bovine serotonin transporter. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1999;71:120-6 pubmed..RT-PCR amplification of RNA from different tissues demonstrated expression of SERT in placenta, brain stem, bone marrow, kidney, lung, heart, adrenal gland, liver, parathyroid gland, thyroid gland, small intestine and pancreas. ..
- Almeida R, Levery S, Mandel U, Kresse H, Schwientek T, Bennett E, et al. Cloning and expression of a proteoglycan UDP-galactose:beta-xylose beta1,4-galactosyltransferase I. A seventh member of the human beta4-galactosyltransferase gene family. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:26165-71 pubmed..Molecular cloning of beta4Gal-T7 should facilitate general studies of its pathogenic role in progeroid syndromes and connective tissue disorders with affected proteoglycan biosynthesis. ..
- Jensen R, La Cour T, Albrethsen J, Nielsen M, Skriver K. FYVE zinc-finger proteins in the plant model Arabidopsis thaliana: identification of PtdIns3P-binding residues by comparison of classic and variant FYVE domains. Biochem J. 2001;359:165-73 pubmed
- Pedersen L, Henriksen A. Acyl-CoA oxidase 1 from Arabidopsis thaliana. Structure of a key enzyme in plant lipid metabolism. J Mol Biol. 2005;345:487-500 pubmed..The functional differences between the peroxisomal acyl-CoA oxidases and the mitochondrial acyl-CoA dehydrogenases are attributed to structural differences in the FAD environments. ..
- Hansen K, Hauser F, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Cloning and characterization of the adipokinetic hormone receptor from the cockroach Periplaneta americana. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;343:638-43 pubmed publisher..This paper describes the first AKH receptor from a hemimetabolous insect...
- Ghim S, Neuhard J. The pyrimidine biosynthesis operon of the thermophile Bacillus caldolyticus includes genes for uracil phosphoribosyltransferase and uracil permease. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:3698-707 pubmed..One of these structures resembled a rho-independent transcriptional terminator. The possible implication of these structures for pyrimidine regulation of the operon is discussed. ..
- Samuelsen C, Baraznenok V, Khorosjutina O, Spahr H, Kieselbach T, Holmberg S, et al. TRAP230/ARC240 and TRAP240/ARC250 Mediator subunits are functionally conserved through evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:6422-7 pubmed..Apparently Srb8/TRAP230/ARC240, Srb9/TRAP240/ARC250, Srb10, and Srb11 constitute a conserved Mediator submodule, which is involved in negative regulation of transcription in all eukaryotes. ..
- Sørensen E, Petersen T. Purification and characterization of three proteins isolated from the proteose peptone fraction of bovine milk. J Dairy Res. 1993;60:189-97 pubmed..The 60 kDa protein was found to be bovine osteopontin, a very highly phosphorylated protein with an Arg-Gly-Asp sequence which mediates cell attachment. ..
- Gotfredsen M, Gerdes K. The Escherichia coli relBE genes belong to a new toxin-antitoxin gene family. Mol Microbiol. 1998;29:1065-76 pubmed..Indirect evidence suggests that the toxicity of RelE may be related to the inhibition of protein synthesis. Based on these observations, we propose a model that explains the delayed relaxed phenotype associated with mutations in relB. ..
- Harlow L, Kadziola A, Jensen K, Larsen S. Crystal structure of the phosphorolytic exoribonuclease RNase PH from Bacillus subtilis and implications for its quaternary structure and tRNA binding. Protein Sci. 2004;13:668-77 pubmed..The surface of the RNase PH dimer fit the shape of a tRNA molecule...
- Andersen J, Olsen L, Hansen K, Taboureau O, Jørgensen F, Jørgensen A, et al. Mutational mapping and modeling of the binding site for (S)-citalopram in the human serotonin transporter. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:2051-63 pubmed publisher..The model defines the molecular determinants for (S)-citalopram binding to hSERT and demonstrates that the antidepressant binding site overlaps with the substrate binding site. ..
- Sørensen E, Højrup P, Petersen T. Posttranslational modifications of bovine osteopontin: identification of twenty-eight phosphorylation and three O-glycosylation sites. Protein Sci. 1995;4:2040-9 pubmed..This conservation of serines, even in otherwise less well-conserved regions of the protein, indicates that the phosphorylation of osteopontin at specific sites is essential for the function of the protein. ..
- Petersen C, Møller L. The RihA, RihB, and RihC ribonucleoside hydrolases of Escherichia coli. Substrate specificity, gene expression, and regulation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:884-94 pubmed..Furthermore, enzyme assays and lacZ gene fusion analysis indicated that rihB was essentially silent unless activated by mutation, whereas rihA and rihC were poorly expressed in glucose medium due to catabolite repression. ..
- L ttichau H, Clark Lewis I, Jensen P, Moser C, Gerstoft J, Schwartz T. A highly selective CCR2 chemokine agonist encoded by human herpesvirus 6. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:10928-33 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that vCCL4 during reactivation of the virus in for example monocyte-derived microglia could perhaps be involved in the pathogenesis of the CCR2-dependent disease, multiple sclerosis...
- Runge S, Gram C, Brauner Osborne H, Madsen K, Knudsen L, Wulff B. Three distinct epitopes on the extracellular face of the glucagon receptor determine specificity for the glucagon amino terminus. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:28005-10 pubmed..Furthermore, the second extracellular loop and/or proximal segments of TM4 and/or TM5 are close to and determine specificity for Lys12 of glucagon. ..
- Olsen D, Petersen S, Oury T, Valnickova Z, Thøgersen I, Kristensen T, et al. The intracellular proteolytic processing of extracellular superoxide dismutase (EC-SOD) is a two-step event. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:22152-7 pubmed..This finding supports the two-step processing mechanism and indicates that the R213G mutation does not disturb the initial endoproteinase cleavage event but perturbs the subsequent trimming of the C terminus. ..
- Behrendt N, Jensen O, Engelholm L, Mørtz E, Mann M, Danø K. A urokinase receptor-associated protein with specific collagen binding properties. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:1993-2002 pubmed..This collagen binding reaction at the exact site of plasminogen activation on the cell may lead to adhesive functions as well as a contribution to cellular degradation of collagen matrices. ..
- Grasser M, Kane C, Merkle T, Melzer M, Emmersen J, Grasser K. Transcript elongation factor TFIIS is involved in arabidopsis seed dormancy. J Mol Biol. 2009;386:598-611 pubmed publisher..Plants with RNAi-mediated knockdown of TFIIS expression also are affected in seed dormancy. Therefore, TFIIS plays a critical role in Arabidopsis seed development. ..
- Kidmose R, Vasiliev N, Chetverin A, Andersen G, Knudsen C. Structure of the Qbeta replicase, an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase consisting of viral and host proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10884-9 pubmed publisher..The evolution of resistance by the host appears to be impaired because of the interactions of the beta-subunit with parts of EF-Tu essential in recognition of aminoacyl-tRNA...
- Honore B, Leffers H, Madsen P, Celis J. Cloning of a cDNA encoding a novel human nuclear phosphoprotein belonging to the WD-40 family. Gene. 1994;151:291-6 pubmed..Database searching indicated that IEF SSP 9502 is a putative human homologue of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae periodic Trp protein, PWP1, a polypeptide that may play a regulatory role in cell growth and/or transcription. ..
- Knudsen S, Frydenberg J, Clark B, Leffers H. Tissue-dependent variation in the expression of elongation factor-1 alpha isoforms: isolation and characterisation of a cDNA encoding a novel variant of human elongation-factor 1 alpha. Eur J Biochem. 1993;215:549-54 pubmed..EF-1 alpha was expressed in brain, placenta, lung, liver, kidney, pancreas and in all the cell lines that we have analysed but barely detectable in heart and skeletal muscle. ..
- Bruun A, Svendsen I, Sørensen S, Kielland Brandt M, Winther J. A high-affinity inhibitor of yeast carboxypeptidase Y is encoded by TFS1 and shows homology to a family of lipid binding proteins. Biochemistry. 1998;37:3351-7 pubmed..These proteins are highly abundant in some tissues (e.g., brain) and have in general been found to bind lipids. Considering their homology to Ic, it is tempting to speculate that they may also be inhibitors of serine carboxypeptidases. ..
- Borg S, Pødenphant L, Jensen T, Poulsen C. Plant cell growth and differentiation may involve GAP regulation of Rac activity. FEBS Lett. 1999;453:341-5 pubmed..In this investigation we have developed some tools that can be used to characterize the role of enhanced LjRac2 expression in developing root nodules. ..
- Müller R, Owen C, Xue Z, Welander M, Stummann B. Characterization of two CTR-like protein kinases in Rosa hybrida and their expression during flower senescence and in response to ethylene. J Exp Bot. 2002;53:1223-5 pubmed..RhCTR1 expression increased during flower senescence, while RhCTR2 was constitutively expressed during flower development. The expression of both RhCTR1 and RhCTR2 was increased in response to exogenous ethylene...
- Burton M, Rose T, Faergeman N, Knudsen J. Evolution of the acyl-CoA binding protein (ACBP). Biochem J. 2005;392:299-307 pubmed..The appearance of ACBP very early on in evolution points towards a fundamental role of ACBP in acyl-CoA metabolism, including ceramide synthesis and in signalling. ..
- Christensen S, Sottrup Jensen L. Bovine alpha 2-antiplasmin. N-terminal and reactive site sequence. FEBS Lett. 1992;312:100-4 pubmed..A re-investigation of the N-terminal sequence of freshly prepared human alpha 2AP reveals a new form extended by 12 residues. ..
- Dons L, Rasmussen O, Olsen J. Cloning and characterization of a gene encoding flagellin of Listeria monocytogenes. Mol Microbiol. 1992;6:2919-29 pubmed..monocytogenes can be divided into two groups. These groups correspond to the flagellar antigens AB and ABC, respectively, as well as to the two types of L. monocytogenes based on the DNA sequence of the listeriolysin gene. ..
- Engelholm L, Behrendt N. Differential binding of urokinase and peptide antagonists to the urokinase receptor: evidence from characterization of the receptor in four primate species. Biol Chem. 2001;382:435-42 pubmed publisher..These findings aid the elucidation of the structure/function relationship of uPAR and, unexpectedly, identify a structural distinction governing the binding of uPA and a very similar peptide antagonist...
- Laursen L, Overgaard M, Nielsen C, Boldt H, Hopmann K, Conover C, et al. Substrate specificity of the metalloproteinase pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) assessed by mutagenesis and analysis of synthetic peptides: substrate residues distant from the scissile bond are critical for proteolysis. Biochem J. 2002;367:31-40 pubmed
- Holm K, Andreasen P, Eckloff R, Kristensen B, Rasmussen S. Three differentially expressed basic peroxidases from wound-lignifying Asparagus officinalis. J Exp Bot. 2003;54:2275-84 pubmed..The highest similarity in the amino acid sequence (71-77%) was found in peroxidases from roots of winter grown turnip TP7, to Arabidopsis AtP49, to an EST sequence from cotton fibres and to TMV-infected tobacco. ..
- Laursen K, Mielke E, Iannaccone P, Füchtbauer E. Mechanism of transcriptional activation by the proto-oncogene Twist1. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34623-33 pubmed..We found three specific residues in the highly conserved WR domain to be essential for the transactivating function of murine Twist1 and suggest an alpha-helical structure of the transactivation domain. ..
- Fedosov S, Petersen T, Nexø E. Transcobalamin from cow milk: isolation and physico-chemical properties. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1996;1292:113-9 pubmed..In conclusion we have shown that TC is the main Cbl-binding protein in cow milk. This is surprising, since previous studies on human and rat milk have shown another Cbl-binder, apo-haptocorrin, to be the dominating Cbl-binding protein. ..
- Rasmussen J, Berglund L, Rasmussen M, Petersen T. Assignment of disulfide bridges in bovine CD36. Eur J Biochem. 1998;257:488-94 pubmed
- Cazzamali G, Hauser F, Kobberup S, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular identification of a Drosophila G protein-coupled receptor specific for crustacean cardioactive peptide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;303:146-52 pubmed..Furthermore, we identified a gene sequence in the genomic database from the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae that very likely codes for a crustacean cardioactive peptide receptor. ..
- Bundgaard J, Birkedal H, Rehfeld J. Progastrin is directed to the regulated secretory pathway by synergistically acting basic and acidic motifs. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:5488-93 pubmed..This implies that the mutants are constitutively secreted. Our data suggest that the dibasic processing sites constitute the most important sorting domain of progastrin, and these sites act in synergy with the acidic domain. ..
- Skipper M, Johansen L, Pedersen K, Frederiksen S, Johansen B. Cloning and transcription analysis of an AGAMOUS- and SEEDSTICK ortholog in the orchid Dendrobium thyrsiflorum (Reichb. f.). Gene. 2006;366:266-74 pubmed..These results suggest that both C- and D lineage orthologs are involved in various aspects of flower development and that DthyrAG2 have a more prominent role than DthyrAG1 in late ovule development in D. thyrsiflorum...
- Pedersen J, Nelson S, Jorgensen M, Henseleit K, Fujitani Y, Wright C, et al. Endodermal expression of Nkx6 genes depends differentially on Pdx1. Dev Biol. 2005;288:487-501 pubmed..2 or Nkx6.3 expression in anterior chicken endoderm. These results demonstrate that Nkx6.1 lies downstream of Pdx1 in a genetic pathway and that Pdx1 is required and sufficient for Nkx6.1 expression in the early foregut endoderm. ..
- Pedersen L, Rompolas P, Christensen S, Rosenbaum J, King S. The lissencephaly protein Lis1 is present in motile mammalian cilia and requires outer arm dynein for targeting to Chlamydomonas flagella. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:858-67 pubmed..Our results suggest that Lis1 and NudC are present in cilia and flagella and may regulate outer dynein arm activity. ..
- Andersen P, Veng L, Juul Madsen H, Vingborg R, Bendixen C, Thomsen B. Gene expression profiling, chromosome assignment and mutational analysis of the porcine Golgi-resident UDP-N-acetylglucosamine transporter SLC35A3. Mol Membr Biol. 2007;24:519-30 pubmed
- Petersen J, Nielsen O, Egel R, Hagan I. FH3, a domain found in formins, targets the fission yeast formin Fus1 to the projection tip during conjugation. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:1217-28 pubmed..Overexpression of the spindle pole body component Sad1 altered the distribution of both Sad1 and the FH3-GFP domain. Together these data suggest that proteins at multiple sites can interact with FH3 domains. ..
- Vorum H, Liu X, Madsen P, Rasmussen H, Honore B. Molecular cloning of a cDNA encoding human calumenin, expression in Escherichia coli and analysis of its Ca2+-binding activity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1386:121-31 pubmed..All 7 EF-hands of the protein are functional and bind Ca2+, each with an affinity of 1.6x103 M-1. The relatively low affinity for the EF-hands may suggest a role for the protein in Ca2+-dependent processes in the ER. ..
- Lehnherr H, Bendtsen J, Preuss F, Ilyina T. Identification and characterization of the single-stranded DNA-binding protein of bacteriophage P1. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:6463-8 pubmed..However, the close relationship between SSB-P1 and the SSB protein of the P1 host, E. coli, raises questions about the functional significance of the phage protein...
- Jorgensen R, Søgaard T, Rossing A, Martensen P, Justesen J. Identification and characterization of human mitochondrial tryptophanyl-tRNA synthetase. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:16820-6 pubmed..The h(mt)TrpRS shows kinetic properties similar to human mitochondrial phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase (h(mt)PheRS), and h(mt)TrpRS is not induced by interferon-gamma as is hTrpRS. ..
- Vitved L, Holmskov U, Koch C, Teisner B, Hansen S, Salomonsen J, et al. The homologue of mannose-binding lectin in the carp family Cyprinidae is expressed at high level in spleen, and the deduced primary structure predicts affinity for galactose. Immunogenetics. 2000;51:955-64 pubmed..The identity with bird and mammalian MBLs ranges from 28 to 33%. ..
- Tarabykina S, Mollerup J, Winding P, Berchtold M. ALG-2, a multifunctional calcium binding protein?. Front Biosci. 2004;9:1817-32 pubmed..Special focus is given to controversial data on expression and localization of ALG-2, which is mainly caused by the use of ALG-2 antibodies with different specificities. ..
- Arent S, Kadziola A, Larsen S, Neuhard J, Jensen K. The extraordinary specificity of xanthine phosphoribosyltransferase from Bacillus subtilis elucidated by reaction kinetics, ligand binding, and crystallography. Biochemistry. 2006;45:6615-27 pubmed..This and the absence of a catalytic carboxylate group near the N7-position require the purine base to dissociate a proton spontaneously in order to undergo catalysis. ..
- Runge S, Thøgersen H, Madsen K, Lau J, Rudolph R. Crystal structure of the ligand-bound glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor extracellular domain. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11340-7 pubmed publisher..The structure provides for the first time detailed molecular insight into ligand binding of the human GLP-1 receptor, an established target for treatment of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Hakansson K. The structure of Mg-ATPase nucleotide-binding domain at 1.6 A resolution reveals a unique ATP-binding motif. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2009;65:1181-6 pubmed publisher..This motif consists of a short polypeptide stretch running very close to the ATP-binding site, while in Ca-ATPase the binding site is more open, with the corresponding polypeptide segment folded away from the active site. ..
- Johnsen L, Rasmussen L, Petersen T, Berglund L. Characterization of three types of human alpha s1-casein mRNA transcripts. Biochem J. 1995;309 ( Pt 1):237-42 pubmed..Tissue-specific expression of human alpha s1-casein was indicated by Northern-blot analysis. In addition, two cryptic exons were localized in the bovine alpha s1-casein gene. ..
- Secher T, Lenz C, Cazzamali G, S rensen G, Williamson M, Hansen G, et al. Molecular cloning of a functional allatostatin gut/brain receptor and an allatostatin preprohormone from the silkworm Bombyx mori. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:47052-60 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report on the molecular cloning and functional expression of an insect gut/brain peptide hormone receptor...
- Nielsen H, Rønnov Jessen L, Villadsen R, Petersen O. Identification of EPSTI1, a novel gene induced by epithelial-stromal interaction in human breast cancer. Genomics. 2002;79:703-10 pubmed..Thus, EPSTI1 is a novel human gene expressed in tissues characterized by extensive epithelial-stromal interaction, and expression of this gene may be a crucial event in invasion and metastasis of cancer. ..
- Nielsen J, Mitchelmore C, Pedersen K, Kjaerulff K, Finsen B, Jensen N. Fkbp8: novel isoforms, genomic organization, and characterization of a forebrain promoter in transgenic mice. Genomics. 2004;83:181-92 pubmed..Thus promoter/enhancer elements for forebrain expression are located around the first exons of the mouse Fkbp8 gene. ..
- Hansen L, Gardsvoll H, Nielsen B, Lund L, Danø K, Jensen O, et al. Structural analysis and tissue localization of human C4.4A: a protein homologue of the urokinase receptor. Biochem J. 2004;380:845-57 pubmed..4A and uPA, a property suggested previously for rat C4.4A. Collectively these data indicate that C4.4A, although being a structural homologue of uPAR, is unlikely to have a functional overlap with uPAR. ..
- Jørgensen J, Lauridsen A, Kristensen P, Dissing K, Johnsen A, Hendil K, et al. Adrm1, a putative cell adhesion regulating protein, is a novel proteasome-associated factor. J Mol Biol. 2006;360:1043-52 pubmed..This indicates that Adrm1 has a specialised role in proteasome function. ..
- Peng X, Basta T, Häring M, Garrett R, Prangishvili D. Genome of the Acidianus bottle-shaped virus and insights into the replication and packaging mechanisms. Virology. 2007;364:237-43 pubmed..The apparent similarities in the putative mechanisms of DNA replication and packaging of ABV to those of bacterial and eukaryal viruses are most consistent with the concept of a primordial gene pool as a source of viral genes...
- Kiselyov V, Li S, Berezin V, Bock E. Insight into the structural mechanism of the bi-modal action of an NCAM mimetic, the C3 peptide. Neurosci Lett. 2009;452:224-7 pubmed publisher..The bi-modal effect of C3 can be explained in the context of the former model and is not consistent with the latter, thus providing evidence in support of the former model. ..
- Berglund L, Petersen T, Rasmussen J. Structural characterization of bovine CD36 from the milk fat globule membrane. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1996;1309:63-8 pubmed..Peptides corresponding to 43% of the protein were sequenced. All eight potential N-glycosylation sites were glycosylated and the carbohydrate compositions of the individual sites were determined. ..
- Hansson M, Gough S, Brody S. Structure prediction and fold recognition for the ferrochelatase family of proteins. Proteins. 1997;27:517-22 pubmed..Based on the predicted structure possible, ligands binding to the iron and protoporphyrin IX are discussed. The structure has been deposited in the Brookhaven database as ID 1FJI. ..
- Christensen P, Davey J, Nielsen O. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe mam1 gene encodes an ABC transporter mediating secretion of M-factor. Mol Gen Genet. 1997;255:226-36 pubmed..We show that STE6 can also mediate secretion of M-factor in S. pombe...
- Durkin M, Loechel F, Mattei M, Gilpin B, Albrechtsen R, Wewer U. Tissue-specific expression of the human laminin alpha5-chain, and mapping of the gene to human chromosome 20q13.2-13.3 and to distal mouse chromosome 2 near the locus for the ragged (Ra) mutation. FEBS Lett. 1997;411:296-300 pubmed..2-q13.3 by in situ hybridization, and the mouse gene (Lama5) was mapped by linkage analysis to a syntonic region of distal chromosome 2, close to the locus for the ragged (Ra) mutation. ..
- Shukla A, Corydon T, Nielsen S, Hoffmann H, Dahl R. Identification of three new splice variants of the SNARE protein SNAP-23. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;285:320-7 pubmed..The other three splice variants were localized both intracellularly and in the plasma membrane. ..
- Hansen M, Nielsen J, Tanaka M, Almstrup K, Skakkebaek N, Leffers H. Identification and expression profiling of 10 novel spermatid expressed CYPT genes. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:568-79 pubmed..The CYPT family may function in the remodeling of the spermatid nucleus before condensation of the DNA. ..
- Roth D, Lynes E, Riemer J, Hansen H, Althaus N, Simmen T, et al. A di-arginine motif contributes to the ER localization of the type I transmembrane ER oxidoreductase TMX4. Biochem J. 2009;425:195-205 pubmed publisher..Overall, features not commonly found in other PDIs characterize TMX4 and suggest unique functional properties of the protein. ..
- Nielsen K, Sottrup Jensen L, Nagase H, Thøgersen H, Etzerodt M. Amino acid sequence of hen ovomacroglobulin (ovostatin) deduced from cloned cDNA. DNA Seq. 1994;5:111-9 pubmed..By comparing the sequences of the receptor binding domain in alpha Ms with the corresponding region of ovostatin possible determinants for receptor recognition of mammalian alpha Ms are proposed. ..
- Kjaerulff S, Davey J, Nielsen O. Analysis of the structural genes encoding M-factor in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe: identification of a third gene, mfm3. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:3895-905 pubmed..Additionally, the signal transduction machinery associated with the pheromone response is required for transcription of the mfm genes in both stimulated and unstimulated cells. ..
- Rowland P, N rager S, Jensen K, Larsen S. Structure of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase B: electron transfer between two flavin groups bridged by an iron-sulphur cluster. Structure. 2000;8:1227-38 pubmed..The close proximity of the three redox centers makes it possible to propose a possible electron transfer pathway involving residues conserved among the family 1B DHODs...
- N rager S, Jensen K, Bj rnberg O, Larsen S. E. coli dihydroorotate dehydrogenase reveals structural and functional distinctions between different classes of dihydroorotate dehydrogenases. Structure. 2002;10:1211-23 pubmed..Significant differences between the two classes of DHODs were identified by comparison of the E. coli DHOD with the other known DHOD structures, and differences with the class 2 human DHOD explain the variation in their inhibitors...
- Andrup L, Jensen G, Wilcks A, Smidt L, Hoflack L, Mahillon J. The patchwork nature of rolling-circle plasmids: comparison of six plasmids from two distinct Bacillus thuringiensis serotypes. Plasmid. 2003;49:205-32 pubmed..These genes were termed bcol for Bacillus-collagen-like genes...
- Nielsen A, Jørgensen A. Structural and functional characterization of the zebrafish gene for glial fibrillary acidic protein, GFAP. Gene. 2003;310:123-32 pubmed..This indicates that a change of functionally core residues in GFAP is a prerequisite for the disease phenotype to develop and the initial steps in the pathogenesis may thus be modeled in zebrafish. ..
- Piskur J, Sandrini M, Knecht W, Munch Petersen B. Animal deoxyribonucleoside kinases: 'forward' and 'retrograde' evolution of their substrate specificity. FEBS Lett. 2004;560:3-6 pubmed..Thereafter, insects lost all but one kinase, dNK (EC 22.214.171.124), which subsequently, through remodelling of a limited number of amino acid residues, gained a broad substrate specificity. ..