Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adult in Nigeria
Publications207 found, 100 shown here
- Onwuliri C, Nwoke B, Lawal I, Iwuala M. Onchocerciasis in Plateau State of Nigeria. II. The prevalence among residents around the Assob River area. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1987;81:49-52 pubmed..05). There was no significant difference between infection rates in males and females (P greater than 0.05), although the overall percentage infection and the numbers of onchocercal lesions were higher in males than in females. ..
- Useh M, Ejezie G. The status and consequences of Mansonella perstans infection in Calabar, Nigeria. East Afr Med J. 1995;72:124-6 pubmed..perstans in the different ages treated (p > 0.01) while non existed by sex (p > 0.01). The possible involvement of M. perstans in ocular filariasis and its treatment are discussed...
- Rabiu M. Cataract blindness and barriers to uptake of cataract surgery in a rural community of northern Nigeria. Br J Ophthalmol. 2001;85:776-80 pubmed..The main barrier to seeking cataract surgery was cost of the service (61%). Some regions of the world still have high burden of cataract blindness that needs attention. Such areas need an effective free cataract outreach programme. ..
- Fasola A, Obiechina A, Arotiba J. Concomitant injuries in 531 patients with maxillofacial fractures. Afr J Med Med Sci. 2002;31:101-5 pubmed..6%, chest injuries 1.9%, abdominal injuries 0.6% and urological injuries 0.5%. It is mandatory that the surgical team should be organised in the treatment of patients with concomitant injuries coexisting with maxillofacial fractures...
- Anosike J, Azoro V, Nwoke B, Keke R, Okere A, Oku E, et al. Dracunculiasis in the north eastern border of Ebonyi State, south eastern Nigeria. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2003;206:45-51 pubmed..The efforts of the endemic communities, government and international organizations in guinea worm eradication in these areas are discussed. ..
- Owotade F, Fatusi O, Ibitoye B, Otuyemi O. Dental radiographic features of impacted third molars and some management implications. Odontostomatol Trop. 2003;26:9-14 pubmed..Older subjects had significantly more periodontal bone loss (p = 0.001). Periapical radiographic examination can reveal vital information for treatment planning of impacted teeth and the monitoring of asymptomatic teeth. ..
- Ojini F, Danesi M. Mortality of tetanus at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Nigeria. Trop Doct. 2005;35:178-81 pubmed..Unlike in developed countries, where management of tetanus in ICU has resulted in a decrease in CFR, the CFR of tetanus at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital has not significantly reduced over the years. ..
- Kullima A, Kawuwa M, Audu B, Usman H, Geidam A. A 5-year review of maternal mortality associated with eclampsia in a tertiary institution in northern Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2009;8:81-4 pubmed publisher..Eclampsia still remains the major cause of maternal mortality in this region resulting from unsupervised pregnancies and deliveries. There is need to educate and encourage the general public for antenatal care and hospital delivery. ..
- Orji F, Agu C. Patterns of hearing loss in tympanic membrane perforation resulting from physical blow to the ear: a prospective controlled cohort study. Clin Otolaryngol. 2009;34:526-32 pubmed publisher..The accompanying sensorineural loss mostly affected several adjacent high frequencies. Healing of perforation favoured significant recovery of the conductive loss, but recovery of sensorineural loss was less favourable. ..
- Imam A, Gilbert C, Sivasubramaniam S, Murthy G, Maini R, Rabiu M. Outcome of cataract surgery in Nigeria: visual acuity, autorefraction, and optimal intraocular lens powers--results from the Nigeria national survey. Ophthalmology. 2011;118:719-24 pubmed publisher..0 D to emmetropia in 71.4% of eyes, which increases to 82.6% if 19 D is also included. Postoperative astigmatism needs to be reduced through better surgical techniques and training, and use of biometry should be standard of care. ..
- Oyetola E, Owotade F, Agbelusi G, Fatusi O, Sanusi A, Adesina O. Salivary Flow Rates of Nigerian Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: A Case-control Study. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2015;16:264-9 pubmed..Patients with CKD had reduced stimulated and unstimulated salivary flow rate. Reduced salivary flow was associated with oral lesions in majority (80%) of CKD patients, the commonest finding being taste abnormalities. ..
- Akogun O. Filariasis in Gongola State Nigeria. I: Clinical and parasitological studies in Mutum-Biyu District. Angew Parasitol. 1992;33:125-31 pubmed..Dermatitis and hydrocoele were common and clinical manifestations were associated with parasite types. Clinical symptoms without microfilaremia and microfilaremia without clinical symptoms were also observed...
- Ogunleye A, Nwaorgu O, Lasisi A. Complications of sinusitis in Ibadan, Nigeria. West Afr J Med. 2001;20:98-101 pubmed..Thus with this study it is hoped that clinicians would be reminded that complications of sinusitis still occur and hence be aware of the necessity to recognize and prevent them as rapidly as possible to avoid serious consequences. ..
- Oginni F, Ugboko V, Assam E, Ogunbodede E. Postoperative complaints following impacted mandibular third molar surgery in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. SADJ. 2002;57:264-8 pubmed..Consequently, there should be a reduction in complaint rate thereby making selective review appointment on the first postoperative day feasible. ..
- Ogbera A, Fasanmade O, Adediran O. Pattern of thyroid disorders in the southwestern region of Nigeria. Ethn Dis. 2007;17:327-30 pubmed..Thyroid disorders in Nigerians are a significant cause of cardiovascular morbidity. Public awareness of thyroid disorders and their potential complications could lead to improved diagnostic and therapeutic facilities. ..
- Adesiyun A, Samaila M. Huge filarial elephantiasis vulvae in a Nigerian woman with subfertility. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2008;278:597-600 pubmed publisher..A similar mass on the left groin, measuring 10 cmx6 cm was removed. Diagnosis was confirmed at histopathologic analysis of the excised masses. Patient was placed on diethyl carbamazine...
- Ojengbede O, Morhason Bello I, Adedokun B, Okonkwo N, Kolade C. Prevalence and the associated trigger factors of urinary incontinence among 5000 black women in sub-Saharan Africa: findings from a community survey. BJU Int. 2011;107:1793-800 pubmed publisher..The present study shows a prevalence of UI comparable to other settings, and the commonest type is stress is found to be UI. The mode of delivery is a significant correlate of UI amongst Nigerian women. ..
- Adegoke S, Okeniyi J, Akintunde A. Electrocardiographic abnormalities and dyslipidaemic syndrome in children with sickle cell anaemia. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2016;27:16-20 pubmed publisher..007 and 0.045, respectively). Lipid and ECG abnormalities are common in children with SCA. Elevated triglyceride and serum ALT levels are possible biochemical markers of ECG abnormalities in these patients. ..
- Adeyemi A, Adediran I, Kuti O, Owolabi A, Durosimi M. Outcome of pregnancy in a population of Nigerian women with sickle cell trait. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006;26:133-7 pubmed..8%) and faster recovery of their newborn from birth asphyxia at 1 min (0.9% compared with 4.9%). Sickle cell trait may confer greater resistance to malaria in pregnancy and carries no extra risk to the outcome of pregnancy. ..
- Iliyasu Z, Kabir M, Galadanci H, Abubakar I, Salihu H, Aliyu M. Postpartum beliefs and practices in Danbare village, Northern Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006;26:211-5 pubmed..However, educated women could act as useful agents of change towards the elimination of practices harmful to the health of mothers and their children. ..
- Adeoye A, Durosinmi M, Adeodu O, Kagu M, Olateju S, Olowu W, et al. Ocular manifestations of Burkitt's lymphoma: experience in Ile-Ife south western Nigeria. West Afr J Med. 2007;26:48-52 pubmed..Burkitt's lymphoma is an important cause of childhood blindness in Nigeria and the orbital disease ismainly extra ocular. ..
- Kagu M, Kawuwa M, Gadzama G. Anaemia in pregnancy: a cross-sectional study of pregnant women in a Sahelian tertiary hospital in Northeastern Nigeria. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007;27:676-9 pubmed..This study confirms the high prevalence of anaemia in pregnancy in this area. Appropriate intervention strategies are necessary to reduce the prevalence of anaemia. ..
- Akinyoola A, Adediran I, Asaleye C, Bolarinwa A. Risk factors for osteonecrosis of the femoral head in patients with sickle cell disease. Int Orthop. 2009;33:923-6 pubmed publisher..001). In conclusion, it appears that not all patients with sickle cell disease have impaired fibrinolytic activity. The aetiology of avascular necrosis in sickle cell disease is multifactorial. ..
- Soyinka J, Onyeji C, Omoruyi S, Owolabi A, Sarma P, Cook J. Effects of concurrent administration of nevirapine on the disposition of quinine in healthy volunteers. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2009;61:439-43 pubmed publisher..01). Nevirapine significantly alters the pharmacokinetics of quinine. An increase in the dose of quinine may be necessary when the drug is co-administered with nevirapine. ..
- Olajide T, Alabi B, Badmos B, Bello O. Pleomorphic adenoma of the lateral nasal wall--a case report. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2009;16:227-9 pubmed..The diagnosis, clinical behaviour and treatment of pleomorphic adenoma of the lateral nasal wall are discussed from a review of the literature. ..
- Olajubu F, Osinupebi O, Deji Agboola M, Jagun E. Seroprevalence of HIV among blood donors, antenatal women and other patients in a tertiary hospital in Nigeria. Braz J Infect Dis. 2009;13:280-3 pubmed..Though, there is high prevalence rate among in- and out-patients, many of these were screened based on manifestation of clinical symptoms. However, more is to be done in the area of prevention of this disease, since no cure is yet found...
- Opara K, Jiburum B. Skin cancers in albinos in a teaching Hospital in eastern Nigeria - presentation and challenges of care. World J Surg Oncol. 2010;8:73 pubmed publisher..Albinism appears to be the most important risk factor in the development of skin cancers in our environment. Late presentation and poor rate of completion of treatment due to poverty are major challenges. ..
- Forbi J, Gabadi S, Iperepolu H, Esona M, Agwale S. Quantification of human immunodeficiency virus-1 viral load using nucleic acid sequence-based amplification (NASBA) in north central Nigeria. Niger J Clin Pract. 2010;13:284-7 pubmed..Our findings highlight the pattern, usefulness and feasibility ofVL quantification by NucliSens EasyQ in monitoring HIV-1 patients in Nigeria. ..
- Onuegbu A, Olisekodiaka J, Onibon M, Adesiyan A, Igbeneghu C. Consumption of soymilk lowers atherogenic lipid fraction in healthy individuals. J Med Food. 2011;14:257-60 pubmed publisher..Daily consumption of soymilk significantly decreased atherogenic plasma cholesterol concentration. This suggests that soy drink could be an important non-pharmacological cholesterol-reducing agent. ..
- Akinbo F, Okaka C, Omoregie R, Dearen T, Leon E, Xiao L. Molecular epidemiologic characterization of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in HIV-infected persons in Benin City, Nigeria. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012;86:441-5 pubmed publisher..bieneusi, and one infection with mixed genotypes were observed in this study. Three of the novel genotypes were genetically distant to the genotypes commonly found in humans. ..
- Erhabor O, Azuonwu O, Frank Peterside N. Malaria parasitaemia among long distance truck drivers in the Niger delta of Nigeria. Afr Health Sci. 2012;12:98-103 pubmed publisher..56 (p= 0.001). Preventative strategies including regular chemoprophylaxis, intermittent preventive treatment with antimalarials and provision of insecticide-treated bed nets should be implemented. ..
- Adeyemo W, Taiwo O, Adeyemi M, Adewole R, Gbotolorun O. Pattern of presentation and management of lip injuries in a Nigerian hospital. Niger J Clin Pract. 2012;15:436-41 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to report the etiology, pattern of presentation, and surgical management of lip injuries in Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH)...
- Chijioke Nwauche I, van Wyk A, Nwauche C, Beshir K, Kaur H, Sutherland C. HIV-positive nigerian adults harbor significantly higher serum lumefantrine levels than HIV-negative individuals seven days after treatment for Plasmodium falciparum infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:4146-50 pubmed publisher..Further investigations of the impact of nevirapine on in vivo malaria treatment outcomes in HIV-infected patients are thus needed. ..
- Olaolorun F, Seme A, Otupiri E, Ogunjuyigbe P, Tsui A. Women's fertility desires and contraceptive behavior in three peri-urban communities in sub Saharan Africa. Reprod Health. 2016;13:12 pubmed publisher..Changing contraceptive demand and program factors will be important to enable peri-urban women to frame and act on their fertility desires. ..
- Abia W, Warth B, Ezekiel C, Sarkanj B, Turner P, Marko D, et al. Uncommon toxic microbial metabolite patterns in traditionally home-processed maize dish (fufu) consumed in rural Cameroon. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;107:10-19 pubmed publisher..g. cereulide, PAT and ZEN derivatives (ZEN-cis and ZENsulfate-cis) are reported for the first time in Cameroonian food. ..
- Nimorsi O, Egwunyenga A, Bajomo D. Survey of urinary schistosomiasis and trichomoniasis in a rural community in Edo State, Nigeria. J Commun Dis. 2001;33:96-101 pubmed..3%) females inhabitants. The highest Trichomonas vaginalis infection 16 (40.0%) occurred in female subjects within 20-25 years old. ..
- Oladejo S, Ofoezie I. Unabated schistosomiasis transmission in Erinle River Dam, Osun State, Nigeria: evidence of neglect of environmental effects of development projects. Trop Med Int Health. 2006;11:843-50 pubmed..The need for urgent and effective national control programme to reduce the public health importance of schistosomiasis in Erinle and other dams in Nigeria was discussed. ..
- Soyinka J, Onyeji C, Omoruyi S, Owolabi A, Sarma P, Cook J. Pharmacokinetic interactions between ritonavir and quinine in healthy volunteers following concurrent administration. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2010;69:262-70 pubmed publisher..Similarly, quinine caused modest but significant increases (P < 0.01) in the C(max), AUC and elimination T((1/2)) of ritonavir. Downward dosage adjustment of quinine appears necessary when concurrently administered with ritonavir. ..
- Arogundade F, Bello I, Kuteyi E, Akinsola A. Patterns of presentation and mortality in tetanus: a 10-year retrospective review. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2004;11:198-202 pubmed..Factors such as severity of spasms, age, sedation and tachycardia were found to significantly influence mortality. It is recommended that prophylactic life immunisation against tetanus be given to all Nigerians. ..
- Boma P, Durosinmi M, Adediran I, Akinola N, Salawu L. Clinical and prognostic features of Nigerians with chronic myeloid leukemia. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2006;13:47-52 pubmed..63, p=0.004 and b=-0.51, p=0.026, respectively). Regression of both the liver and spleen with survival, still confirms the significant negative relationship between hepatomegaly and survival. ..
- Sabitu K, Iliyasu Z, Dauda M. Awareness of occupational hazards and utilization of safety measures among welders in Kaduna metropolis, northern Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2009;8:46-51 pubmed..There is therefore need for health and safety education of these workers for health and increased productivity. ..
- Desalu O, Ojo O, Busari O, Fadeyi A. Pattern of respiratory diseases seen among adults in an emergency room in a resource-poor nation health facility. Pan Afr Med J. 2011;9:24 pubmed..Pneumonia and PTB were the leading respiratory diseases among adults causing of emergency room visit and early mortality in this health facility in Nigeria. ..
- Aluko O, Adebayo A, Adebisi T, Ewegbemi M, Abidoye A, Popoola B. Knowledge, attitudes and perceptions of occupational hazards and safety practices in Nigerian healthcare workers. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9:71 pubmed publisher..The protocol of the safety training and drills should be responsive to evidence-based emerging and sectoral safety challenges. ..
- Onakpoya O, Adeoye A, Akinsola F, Adegbehingbe B. Prevalence of blindness and visual impairment in Atakunmosa West Local Government area of southwestern Nigeria. Tanzan Health Res Bull. 2007;9:126-31 pubmed
- Omo Aghoja L, Okonofua F, Onemu S, Larsen U, Bergstrom S. Association of Chlamydia trachomatis serology with tubal infertility in Nigerian women. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2007;33:688-95 pubmed
- Ubani U. Bacteriology of external ocular infections in Aba, South Eastern Nigeria. Clin Exp Optom. 2009;92:482-9 pubmed publisher..The study recommends that quinolones be available as ophthalmic preparations to be prescribed by the qualified practitioners to avoid development of resistance from indiscriminate use. ..
- Fawole O, Salawu T, Olarinmoye E. Intimate partner violence: prevalence and perceptions of married men in Ibadan, Nigeria. Int Q Community Health Educ. 2009;30:349-64 pubmed publisher..37-3.26 and AOR = 2.09, 95% CI: 1.33-3.27). IPV was also associated with young age. Premarital counseling on how to resolve conflict without resulting to violence and early education of boys on violence to women is recommended. ..
- Jeremiah Z, Idris H, Ajayi B, Ezimah A, Malah M, Baba M. Isolated anti-HBc-IgM antibody among blood donors in the semi-arid region of Nigeria. Hum Antibodies. 2011;20:77-82 pubmed publisher..The use of anti-HBc-IgM screening as a mandatory pre-transfusion screening test is hereby advocated. ..
- Bandele E, Akinyanju O, Bojuwoye B. An analysis of tetanus deaths in Lagos. J Natl Med Assoc. 1991;83:55-8 pubmed..6% for women). The mean mortality rate was 45.5%, with the highest mortality occurring in the elderly. Other high risk factors identified were neck and head injuries, post abortal or post partum states, hyperpyrexia, and tachycardia. ..
- Nwabuisi C, Ologe F. Pathogenic agents of chronic suppurative otitis media in Ilorin, Nigeria. East Afr Med J. 2002;79:202-5 pubmed..To determine the type and pattern of antibiotic susceptibility of the pathogenic micro-organisms causing chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) in our environment...
- Igberase G, Ebeigbe P, Igbekoyi O, Ajufoh B. Ectopic pregnancy: an 11-year review in a tertiary centre in the Niger Delta. Trop Doct. 2005;35:175-7 pubmed..Community-based comprehensive health education programme focusing on contraception, sex education, prevention and treatment of postabortal sepsis, pelvic inflammatory disease and puerperal sepsis are urgently needed. ..
- Abasiubong F, Atting I, Bassey E, Ekott J. A comparative study of use of psychoactive substances amongst secondary school students in two local Government Areas of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Niger J Clin Pract. 2008;11:45-51 pubmed..Therefore, there is need to strengthen the monitoring and preventive programmes aimed at reducing their spread in schools. ..
- Abdul Hadi R, Abass M, Aiyenigba B, Oseni L, Odafe S, Chabikuli O, et al. The effectiveness of community based distribution of injectable contraceptives using community health extension workers in Gombe State, Northern Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health. 2013;17:80-8 pubmed..65) than that generated in health facilities (2.86) (p < 0.05). This suggests that the CBD of injectable contraceptives is feasible and effective, even in a setting like northern Nigeria that has sensitivities about FP. ..
- Abila B, Ikueze R. Effects of clemastine, ketotifen and prednisolone on chloroquine-induced pruritus. J Trop Med Hyg. 1989;92:356-9 pubmed..If these results are confirmed in patients with malaria, it might be more rational to administer a single prophylactic dose of prednisolone in those who experience very disturbing pruritus with chloroquine. ..
- Ikem I, Ogunlusi J, Ine H. Achieving interlocking nails without using an image intensifier. Int Orthop. 2007;31:487-90 pubmed..Complication was mainly screw loosening due to severe osteoporoses in one case. It is, therefore, concluded that, with the aid of external jigs and slot finders, interlocking can be achieved without an image intensifier. ..
- Akanbi O, Odaibo A, Ademowo O. The burden of malaria infection on pregnant women and birth weight of infants in south western Nigeria. East Afr J Public Health. 2009;6:63-8 pubmed..The birth weights of the infants were positively correlated with the Hb levels. This study suggests that malaria infection, anaemia, and gravidity affect the birth weight of infants born in Ibadan, southwestern Nigeria. ..
- Uzochukwu B, Chiegboka L, Enwereuzo C, Nwosu U, Okorafor D, Onwujekwe O, et al. Examining appropriate diagnosis and treatment of malaria: availability and use of rapid diagnostic tests and artemisinin-based combination therapy in public and private health facilities in south east Nigeria. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:486 pubmed publisher..Government and donors should ensure constant availability of RDTs in both public and private facilities, so that every treatment with ACTs is accompanied with proper diagnosis. ..
- Johnson A, Mokuolu O. Russell-Silver Syndrome in a Nigerian infant with intrauterine growth retardation. J Natl Med Assoc. 2001;93:185-94 pubmed..The characteristic features, differential diagnoses, etiologic postulates/current cytogenetic and molecular genetic findings of RSS are fully reviewed in the discussion. ..
- Oyelami O, Onayemi A, Oyedeji O, Adeyemi L. Preliminary study of effectiveness of aloe vera in scabies treatment. Phytother Res. 2009;23:1482-4 pubmed publisher..The scabietic lesions virtually disappeared in all of them. None of these patients had any noticeable side effects. It is concluded that Aloe vera gel is as effective as benzyl benzoate in the treatment of scabies...
- Idogun E, Imarengiaye C, Momoh S. Extracellular calcium and magnesium in preeclampsia and eclampsia. Afr J Reprod Health. 2007;11:89-94 pubmed..56 vs 1.91 +/- 0.19 mg/dl, P 0. < 0.0001) respectively. There is extracellular calcium and magnesium reduction in patients with preeclampsia and eclampsia. This reduction may have a cause and effect relationship with these disorders. ..
- Iliyasu Z, Abubakar I, Aliyu M, Galadanci H, Salihu H. Prevalence and correlates of gender-based violence among female university students in Northern Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health. 2011;15:111-9 pubmed..GBV awareness creation programs, legal protection and implementation of an effective redress mechanism are recommended to curb this menace. ..
- Esan T, Oziegbe O, Onapokya H. Facial approximation: evaluation of dental and facial proportions with height. Afr Health Sci. 2012;12:63-8 pubmed
- Owoeye B, Akinbo S, Aiyegbusi A, Ogunsola M. Prevalence of hallux valgus among youth population in Lagos, Nigeria. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2011;18:51-5 pubmed..This study was aimed at evaluating the prevalence of Hallux Valgus (HV) and related foot problems among the youth population in Lagos, Nigeria...
- Mutihir J, Eka P. Stillbirths at the Jos University Teaching Hospital: incidence, risk, and etiological factors. Niger J Clin Pract. 2011;14:14-8 pubmed publisher..The stillbirth rate in our centre is high, major causes being abruptio placenta and maternal medical conditions. Maternal HIV infection has emerged as a major contributor to stillbirths in this study. ..
- Lawal O, Rotimi O, Okeke I. Helicobacter pylori in gastroduodenal diseases. J Natl Med Assoc. 2007;99:31-4 pubmed..pylori infection in southwest Nigerian dyspeptic patients similar to what is found in developed nations. Of note is the high incidence of H. pylori in endoscopically normal patients. ..
- Akinyoola A, Oginni L, Orimolade E, Ogundele O. Esmarch tourniquet in orthopaedic surgery. Trop Doct. 2007;37:139-41 pubmed..There was wound infection in two limbs (1.5%). In spite of its drawbacks, the Esmarch bandage is still useful for exsanguination and as a tourniquet in orthopaedic surgery where there is no pneumatic tourniquet...
- Oladapo O, Salako L, Sodiq O, Shoyinka K, Adedapo K, Falase A. A prevalence of cardiometabolic risk factors among a rural Yoruba south-western Nigerian population: a population-based survey. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2010;21:26-31 pubmed..This serves as a wake-up call for action in the planning of health services for the management of CVD and other chronic NCDs. ..
- Asuquo M, Ikpeme I, Ebughe G, Bassey E. Marjolin's ulcer: Sequelae of mismanaged chronic cutaneous ulcers. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2010;23:414-6 pubmed publisher..4 years. Chronic trauma-induced limb ulceration is the leading risk factor for Marjolin's ulcer. Health education, early detection, and proper management of chronic wounds would improve outcome. ..
- Ajenifuja K, Adepiti C, Ogunniyi S. Post partum haemorrhage in a teaching hospital in Nigeria: a 5-year experience. Afr Health Sci. 2010;10:71-4 pubmed..Retained products of conception resulting from mismanagement of the third stage of labour is the most common cause of post partum haemorrhage in our centre. ..
- Anosike J. The status of human filariasis in north-western zone of Bauchi State, Nigeria. Appl Parasitol. 1994;35:133-40 pubmed..01). Fishermen, nomads and farmers had significantly higher infection rates (P < 0.05) than other occupational categories. Suggestions on the disease intervention involving treatment, prevention and vector control are highlighted...
- Adelowo O, Oguntona S. Scleroderma (systemic sclerosis) among Nigerians. Clin Rheumatol. 2009;28:1121-5 pubmed publisher..Treatments were with standard medications. Scleroderma among Nigerians is rare as elsewhere and there are certain common characteristics as seen elsewhere as well as certain differences. ..
- Oyediran K, Isiugo Abanihe U, Feyisetan B, Ishola G. Prevalence of and factors associated with extramarital sex among Nigerian men. Am J Mens Health. 2010;4:124-34 pubmed publisher..And, because of gender-based power imbalances within the family, a large number of the women are unable to negotiate consistent condom use by their partners. ..
- Nwagha U, Okeke T, Nwagha T, Ejezie F, Ogbodo S, Dim C, et al. Asymptomatic malaria parasitemia does not induce additional oxidative stress in pregnant women of South East Nigeria. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2011;4:229-33 pubmed publisher..05). Asymptomatic malaria parasitemia does not induce additional oxidative stress on pregnant women in Nigeria. The enormity of acute and complicated attack should be further investigated. ..
- Ugwumba F, Nnabugwu I, Ozoemena O. Fournier's gangrene -- analysis of management and outcome in south-eastern Nigeria. S Afr J Surg. 2012;50:16-9 pubmed..In the majority of our cases, no systemic predisposing factor was identified. Local risk factors, especially chronic scrotal itching, were contributory. With proper management, mortality is low. ..
- Ashuntantang G, Osafo C, Olowu W, Arogundade F, Niang A, Porter J, et al. Outcomes in adults and children with end-stage kidney disease requiring dialysis in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. Lancet Glob Health. 2017;5:e408-e417 pubmed publisher..Further work is needed to develop equitable and sustainable strategies to manage individuals with ESKD in sub-Saharan Africa. None. ..
- Kale O. Onchocerciasis: the burden of disease. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1998;92 Suppl 1:S101-15 pubmed..It seems possible, however, that use of Mectizan will eliminate the disease before its true burden can be estimated accurately...
- Ajayi I, Falade C, Olley B, Yusuf B, Gbotosho S, Iyiola T, et al. A qualitative study of the feasibility and community perception on the effectiveness of artemether-lumefantrine use in the context of home management of malaria in south-west Nigeria. BMC Health Serv Res. 2008;8:119 pubmed publisher..Community members perceived AL to be effective thus fostering acceptability. The negative attitudes of the health workers and issue of incentives to CMDs need to be addressed for successful scaling-up of ACT use at community level. ..
- Uzoewulu G, Lawson L, Nnanna I, Rastogi N, Goyal M. Genetic diversity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex strains isolated from patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in Anambra State, Nigeria. Int J Mycobacteriol. 2016;5:74-9 pubmed publisher..This study showed that the LAM10-CAM prototype SIT61 accounted for highest number of isolates (n=89) in Anambra State, showing its relative contribution to the TB burden in the study. ..
- Lawan A. Pattern of presentation and outcome of surgical management of primary open angle glaucoma in Kano, Northern Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2007;6:180-5 pubmed..Trabeculectomy with application of 5FU is the surgical treatment of choice in our environment and give good intra ocular pressure control. There is need to increase public awareness on glaucoma to limit this type of avoidable blindness. ..
- Salami T, Samuel S, Eze K, Irekpita E, Oziegbe E, Momoh M. Prevalence and characteristics of aquagenic pruritus in a young African population. BMC Dermatol. 2009;9:4 pubmed publisher..8.33% of respondents feels like avoiding bathing because of these. Bathing pruritus is a common finding among young adult Nigerians in the general population. ..
- Ekere A, Adiela V, Kejeh B. Malignant change in chronic irritation: a case series. West Afr J Med. 2010;29:38-40 pubmed..Chronic irritation is a known cause of malignant change in humans. It is believed that at least a minimum of five years is needed for the evolution of the illness...
- Eigbefoh J, Isabu P, Okpere E, Abebe J. The diagnostic accuracy of the rapid dipstick test to predict asymptomatic urinary tract infection of pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008;28:490-5 pubmed publisher..This is useful in poor resource setting especially in the third world where there is a dearth of trained personnel and equipment for urine culture. ..
- Nnaji G, Ikechebelu J, Okafor C. A comparison of the prevalence of malaria parasitaemia in pregnant and non pregnant women. Niger J Med. 2009;18:272-6 pubmed..This study demonstrates the higher prevalence of malaria parasitaemia and mean parasite density in pregnant women when compared with the matched controls. ..
- Khalil M, Gugnani H. Rhinosporidiosis in a Nigerian. Trop Geogr Med. 1989;41:277-9 pubmed..A case of rhinosporidiosis in a Hausa man from northern Nigeria is reported. This apparently constitutes the first case recorded from Nigeria...
- Ugboko V, Udoye C, Olateju S, Amole A. Blindness and visual impairment from severe midface trauma in Nigerians. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006;35:127-31 pubmed..High impact from such incidents often causes extensive damage to the eyeball resulting in immediate and irreversible blindness. ..
- Ahmed A, Saeed N. Experience with the management of urethral stones presenting with urinary retention at Gusau. Niger J Clin Pract. 2008;11:309-11 pubmed..Urethral stone is a rare cause of acute urinary retention. In the absence of urethral pathology, urethral stone can be easily and safely pushed back into the bladder from where they can be removed by cystolithotomy. ..
- Edungbola L, Watts S, Alabi T, Bello A. The impact of a UNICEF-assisted rural water project on the prevalence of guinea worm disease in Asa, Kwara State, Nigeria. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1988;39:79-85 pubmed..The rapid benefits of protected rural water supplies and the decline of dracunculiasis, including the rise in school enrollment and fall in the rate of school absenteeism, are highlighted together with other socioeconomic benefits...
- Arogundade F, Ishola D, Sanusi A, Akinsola A. An analysis of the effectiveness and benefits of peritoneal dialysis and haemodialysis using Nigerian made PD fluids. Afr J Med Med Sci. 2005;34:227-33 pubmed..5% mortality observed. We conclude that IPD and HD are effective renal replacement therapies with the former being significantly cheaper. IPD should be encouraged in our patients with ARF or acute exacerbation of chronic renal failure. ..