Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PEN3
Description: ABC-2 and Plant PDR ABC-type transporter family protein
Alias: ABCG36, ARABIDOPSIS PLEIOTROPIC DRUG RESISTANCE 8, ARABIDOPSIS THALIANA ATP-BINDING CASSETTE G36, ATABCG36, ATP-BINDING CASSETTE G36, ATP-binding cassette G36, ATPDR8, Arabidopsis thaliana ATP-binding cassette G36, F23H11.19, F23H11_19, PDR8, PENETRATION 3, PLEIOTROPIC DRUG RESISTANCE 8, ABC-2 and Plant PDR ABC-type transporter family protein
Species: thale cress
- Underwood W, Somerville S. Perception of conserved pathogen elicitors at the plasma membrane leads to relocalization of the Arabidopsis PEN3 transporter. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:12492-7 pubmed publisherThe Arabidopsis penetration resistance 3 (PEN3) ATP binding cassette transporter participates in nonhost resistance to fungal and oomycete pathogens and is required for full penetration resistance to the barley powdery mildew Blumeria ..
- Mao H, Aryal B, Langenecker T, Hagmann J, Geisler M, Grebe M. Arabidopsis BTB/POZ protein-dependent PENETRATION3 trafficking and disease susceptibility. Nat Plants. 2017;3:854-858 pubmed publisher..The epidermal outer plasma membrane domain harbours the PENETRATION3 (PEN3)/ABCG36/PDR8 ATP-binding cassette transporter that confers non-host resistance to several pathogens...
- Consonni C, Humphry M, Hartmann H, Livaja M, Durner J, Westphal L, et al. Conserved requirement for a plant host cell protein in powdery mildew pathogenesis. Nat Genet. 2006;38:716-20 pubmed
- Strader L, Bartel B. The Arabidopsis PLEIOTROPIC DRUG RESISTANCE8/ABCG36 ATP binding cassette transporter modulates sensitivity to the auxin precursor indole-3-butyric acid. Plant Cell. 2009;21:1992-2007 pubmed publisher..This mutant is defective in PLEIOTROPIC DRUG RESISTANCE8 (PDR8)/PENETRATION3/ABCG36, a plasma membrane-localized ATP binding cassette transporter that has established roles in pathogen responses and ..
- Kim D, Jin J, Alejandro S, Martinoia E, Lee Y. Overexpression of AtABCG36 improves drought and salt stress resistance in Arabidopsis. Physiol Plant. 2010;139:170-80 pubmed publisher..longer than 5 weeks, transgenic Arabidopsis plants that overexpress an ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter, AtABCG36/AtPDR8, produced higher shoot biomass and less chlorotic leaves than the wild-type...
- Kobae Y, Sekino T, Yoshioka H, Nakagawa T, Martinoia E, Maeshima M. Loss of AtPDR8, a plasma membrane ABC transporter of Arabidopsis thaliana, causes hypersensitive cell death upon pathogen infection. Plant Cell Physiol. 2006;47:309-18 pubmedPlants contain a large number of ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporters belonging to different subclasses. AtPDR8 is the only member of the pleiotropic drug resistance (PDR) ABC transporter subclass in Arabidopsis that is constitutively ..
- Lu X, Dittgen J, PiÅ›lewska Bednarek M, Molina A, Schneider B, SvatoÅ¡ A, et al. Mutant Allele-Specific Uncoupling of PENETRATION3 Functions Reveals Engagement of the ATP-Binding Cassette Transporter in Distinct Tryptophan Metabolic Pathways. Plant Physiol. 2015;168:814-27 pubmed publisher..b>PEN3 encodes a plasma membrane-resident pleiotropic drug resistance-type ATP-binding cassette transporter and is thought ..
- Loehrer M, Langenbach C, Goellner K, Conrath U, Schaffrath U. Characterization of nonhost resistance of Arabidopsis to the Asian soybean rust. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2008;21:1421-30 pubmed publisher..Double mutants affected in either jasmonic acid or salicylic acid signaling in the pen3-1 background revealed the involvement of both pathways in nonhost resistance (NHR) of Arabidopsis to P. pachyrhizi...
- Ruzicka K, Strader L, Bailly A, Yang H, Blakeslee J, Langowski L, et al. Arabidopsis PIS1 encodes the ABCG37 transporter of auxinic compounds including the auxin precursor indole-3-butyric acid. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10749-53 pubmed publisher..ABCG37 and its homolog ABCG36 act redundantly at outermost root plasma membranes and, unlike established IAA transporters from the PIN and ABCB ..
- Xin X, Nomura K, Underwood W, He S. Induction and suppression of PEN3 focal accumulation during Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000 infection of Arabidopsis. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2013;26:861-7 pubmed publisher..b>AtPDR8, also called PEN3, is required for penetration resistance of Arabidopsis to nonadapted powdery mildew fungi...
- Crouzet J, Trombik T, Fraysse A, Boutry M. Organization and function of the plant pleiotropic drug resistance ABC transporter family. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:1123-30 pubmed..Only a single subfamily II member has been characterized. Induction of its expression by iron deficiency suggests its involvement in iron deficiency stress, thus, enlightening a new physiological role for a PDR gene...
- Kim D, Bovet L, Maeshima M, Martinoia E, Lee Y. The ABC transporter AtPDR8 is a cadmium extrusion pump conferring heavy metal resistance. Plant J. 2007;50:207-18 pubmedCadmium (Cd) and lead (Pb) are widespread pollutants that are toxic to plant growth. The expression of AtPDR8 was upregulated in cadmium- or lead-treated Arabidopsis thaliana...
- Clay N, Adio A, Denoux C, Jander G, Ausubel F. Glucosinolate metabolites required for an Arabidopsis innate immune response. Science. 2009;323:95-101 pubmed publisher..Two genes, PEN2 and PEN3, are also necessary for resistance to pathogens and are required for both callose deposition and glucosinolate ..
- Stein M, Dittgen J, Sánchez Rodríguez C, Hou B, Molina A, Schulze Lefert P, et al. Arabidopsis PEN3/PDR8, an ATP binding cassette transporter, contributes to nonhost resistance to inappropriate pathogens that enter by direct penetration. Plant Cell. 2006;18:731-46 pubmed..Screening for Arabidopsis mutants deficient in resistance to barley powdery mildew identified PENETRATION3 (PEN3). pen3 plants permitted both increased invasion into epidermal cells and initiation of hyphae by B. g...
- Mao H, Nakamura M, Viotti C, Grebe M. A Framework for Lateral Membrane Trafficking and Polar Tethering of the PEN3 ATP-Binding Cassette Transporter. Plant Physiol. 2016;172:2245-2260 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate that ACTIN7 (ACT7) mediates trafficking of the PENETRATION3 (PEN3) outer membrane protein from the trans-Golgi network (TGN) to the plasma membrane in the root epidermis of ..