Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PAD4
Description: alpha/beta-Hydrolases superfamily protein
Alias: ARABIDOPSIS PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT 4, ATPAD4, PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT 4
Species: thale cress
- Phytoalexin-deficient mutants of Arabidopsis reveal that PAD4 encodes a regulatory factor and that four PAD genes contribute to downy mildew resistanceJ Glazebrook
Center for Agricultural Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, College Park 20742, USA
Genetics 146:381-92. 1997..Mutations in PAD1, PAD2, and PAD4 caused enhanced susceptibility to the bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv...
- Different roles of Enhanced Disease Susceptibility1 (EDS1) bound to and dissociated from Phytoalexin Deficient4 (PAD4) in Arabidopsis immunitySteffen Rietz
Department of Plant Microbe Interactions, Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Koln, Germany
New Phytol 191:107-19. 2011..Arabidopsis EDS1 interacts with two related proteins, Phytoalexin Deficient4 (PAD4) and Senescence Associated Gene101 (SAG101), whose combined activities are essential for defense signaling...
- SAG101 forms a ternary complex with EDS1 and PAD4 and is required for resistance signaling against turnip crinkle virusShifeng Zhu
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002318. 2011EDS1, PAD4, and SAG101 are common regulators of plant immunity against many pathogens...
- Phloem-based resistance to green peach aphid is controlled by Arabidopsis PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 without its signaling partner ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1Venkatramana Pegadaraju
Division of Biology and Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology Program, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Plant J 52:332-41. 2007..Previously, it has been shown that Arabidopsis thaliana PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 (PAD4), which is expressed at elevated levels in response to GPA infestation, is required for resistance to GPA in the ..
- Salicylic acid-independent ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1 signaling in Arabidopsis immunity and cell death is regulated by the monooxygenase FMO1 and the Nudix hydrolase NUDT7Michael Bartsch
Department of Plant Microbe Interactions, Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, D 50829 Cologne, Germany
Plant Cell 18:1038-51. 2006..In both responses, EDS1, assisted by its interacting partner, PHYTOALEXIN-DEFICIENT4 (PAD4), regulates accumulation of the phenolic defense molecule salicylic acid (SA) and other as yet unidentified signal ..
- Premature leaf senescence modulated by the Arabidopsis PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 gene is associated with defense against the phloem-feeding green peach aphidVenkatramana Pegadaraju
Division of Biology and the Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology Program, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506 4901, USA
Plant Physiol 139:1927-34. 2005..In contrast, resistance against GPA was compromised in the phytoalexin deficient4 (pad4) mutant plant...
- Arabidopsis SENESCENCE-ASSOCIATED GENE101 stabilizes and signals within an ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1 complex in plant innate immunityBart J Feys
Sainsbury Laboratory, John Ines Centre, Norwich NR4 7UH, United Kingdom
Plant Cell 17:2601-13. 2005..Together with PHYTOALEXIN-DEFICIENT4 (PAD4), a known EDS1 interactor, SAG101 contributes intrinsic and indispensable signaling activity to EDS1-dependent ..
- Plant immunity: the EDS1 regulatory nodeMarcel Wiermer
Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Department of Plant Microbe Interactions, Carl von Linne Weg 10, D 50829 Cologne, Germany
Curr Opin Plant Biol 8:383-9. 2005ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY 1 (EDS1) and its interacting partner, PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT 4 (PAD4), constitute a regulatory hub that is essential for basal resistance to invasive biotrophic and hemi-biotrophic pathogens...
- EDS5, an essential component of salicylic acid-dependent signaling for disease resistance in Arabidopsis, is a member of the MATE transporter familyChristiane Nawrath
Department of Biology, Unit of Plant Biology, Route Albert Gockel 3, 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Plant Cell 14:275-86. 2002..infection by certain pathogens as well as after UV-C light exposure depends on the pathogen response proteins EDS1, PAD4, and NDR1, indicating that the signal transduction pathways after UV-C light exposure and pathogen inoculation ..
- Direct interaction between the Arabidopsis disease resistance signaling proteins, EDS1 and PAD4B J Feys
The Sainsbury Laboratory, John Innes Centre, Colney, Norwich NR4 7UH, UK
EMBO J 20:5400-11. 2001The Arabidopsis EDS1 and PAD4 genes encode lipase-like proteins that function in resistance (R) gene-mediated and basal plant disease resistance...
- Arabidopsis thaliana PAD4 encodes a lipase-like gene that is important for salicylic acid signalingD Jirage
Molecular and Cell Biology Graduate Program, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:13583-8. 1999The Arabidopsis PAD4 gene previously was found to be required for expression of multiple defense responses including camalexin synthesis and PR-1 gene expression in response to infection by the bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv...
- The Combined Action of ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1, PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4, and SENESCENCE-ASSOCIATED101 Promotes Salicylic Acid-Mediated Defenses to Limit Fusarium graminearum Infection in Arabidopsis thalianaRagiba Makandar
1 Department of Biological Sciences, University of North Texas, Denton, TX 76203, U S A
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 28:943-53. 2015..that, in Arabidopsis, the defense regulator EDS1 (ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1) and its interacting partners, PAD4 (PHYTOALEXIN-DEFICIENT4) and SAG101 (SENESCENCE-ASSOCIATED GENE101), promote SA accumulation to curtail F...
- Increased resistance to biotrophic pathogens in the Arabidopsis constitutive induced resistance 1 mutant is EDS1 and PAD4-dependent and modulated by environmental temperatureMaryke Carstens
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, South Africa
PLoS ONE 9:e109853. 2014..SA-signalling branch of the defence network, ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1 (EDS1) and PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 (PAD4)...
- Functions of EDS1-like and PAD4 genes in grapevine defenses against powdery mildewFei Gao
Division of Plant Sciences, C S Bond Life Sciences Center and Interdisciplinary Plant Group, University of Missouri, 371C Life Sciences Center, Columbia, MO, 65211 7310, USA
Plant Mol Biol 86:381-93. 2014..acid (SA) pathway, including ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY 1 (EDS1), EDS1-LIKE 2 (EDL2), EDL5 and PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT 4 (PAD4) of two grapevine species, Vitis vinifera cv. Cabernet Sauvignon, which is susceptible to E...
- PAD4, LSD1 and EDS1 regulate drought tolerance, plant biomass production, and cell wall propertiesMagdalena Szechyńska-Hebda
Department of Plant Genetics, Breeding and Biotechnology, Faculty of Horticulture, Biotechnology and Landscape Architecture, Warsaw University of Life Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
Plant Cell Rep 35:527-39. 2016..g. in areas with poor irrigation. In this study, we performed functional analysis of proteins encoded by PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT 4 (PAD4), LESION SIMULATING DISEASE 1 (LSD1) and ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY 1 (EDS1) genes to explain ..
- Enhanced Disease Susceptibility1 Mediates Pathogen Resistance and Virulence Function of a Bacterial Effector in SoybeanJialin Wang
College of Agriculture, Northeast Agricultural University, Harbin 150030, China J W, W J, Q C, G H Department of Plant Pathology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40546 J W, M B S, Q M G, A K United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Washington State University, Prosser, Washington 99350 D N andLand Reclamation Research and Breeding Centre of Heilongjiang, Harbin 150090, China C L, G H
Plant Physiol 165:1269-1284. 2014Enhanced disease susceptibility1 (EDS1) and phytoalexin deficient4 (PAD4) are well-known regulators of both basal and resistance (R) protein-mediated plant defense...
- Requirement for pectin methyl esterase and preference for fragmented over native pectins for wall-associated kinase-activated, EDS1/PAD4-dependent stress response in ArabidopsisBruce D Kohorn
From the Department of Biology, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine 04011
J Biol Chem 289:18978-86. 2014..of WAK2 constitutively activates the stress response, and we show here that the effect is dependent upon EDS1 and PAD4, transcriptional activators involved in the pathogen response...
- Rice OsPAD4 functions differently from Arabidopsis AtPAD4 in host-pathogen interactionsYinggen Ke
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, National Center of Plant Gene Research Wuhan, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, 430070, China
Plant J 78:619-31. 2014The extensively studied Arabidopsis phytoalexin deficient 4 (AtPAD4) gene plays an important role in Arabidopsis disease resistance; however, the function of its sequence ortholog in rice is unknown...
- Structural basis for signaling by exclusive EDS1 heteromeric complexes with SAG101 or PAD4 in plant innate immunityStephan Wagner
University of Cologne, Department of Chemistry, Institute of Biochemistry, Otto Fischer Strß 12 14, 50674 Koln, Germany
Cell Host Microbe 14:619-30. 2013..1 (EDS1) and its sequence-related interaction partners, senescence-associated gene 101 (SAG101) and phytoalexin deficient 4 (PAD4)...
- A missense mutation in CHS1, a TIR-NB protein, induces chilling sensitivity in ArabidopsisYuancong Wang
State Key Laboratory of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, College of Biological Sciences, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, China
Plant J 75:553-65. 2013..The chilling sensitivity of chs1 was fully rescued by pad4 and eds1, but not by ndr1. The overexpression of the TIR and NB domains can suppress the chs1-conferred phenotypes...
- PAD4 functions upstream from salicylic acid to control defense responses in ArabidopsisN Zhou
Center for Agricultural Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Plant Cell 10:1021-30. 1998The Arabidopsis PAD4 gene was previously shown to be required for synthesis of camalexin in response to infection by the virulent bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv maculicola ES4326 but not in response to challenge by the non-..
- Arabidopsis thaliana EDS4 contributes to salicylic acid (SA)-dependent expression of defense responses: evidence for inhibition of jasmonic acid signaling by SAV Gupta
Molecular and Cell Biology Graduate Program, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 13:503-11. 2000..Two mutations that cause reduced SA levels, eds4 and pad4, cause heightened responses to inducers of JA-dependent gene expression, providing genetic evidence to support the ..
- Lesion simulating disease1, enhanced disease susceptibility1, and phytoalexin deficient4 conditionally regulate cellular signaling homeostasis, photosynthesis, water use efficiency, and seed yield in ArabidopsisWeronika Wituszynska
Department of Plant Genetics, Breeding and Biotechnology, Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Warsaw University of Life Sciences, 02 776 Warsaw, Poland
Plant Physiol 161:1795-805. 2013..the role of lesion simulating disease1 (LSD1), enhanced disease susceptibility1 (EDS1), and phytoalexin deficient4 (PAD4) in the regulation of photosynthesis, water use efficiency, reactive oxygen species/hormonal homeostasis, and seed ..
- Ectopic expression of AtPAD4 broadens resistance of soybean to soybean cyst and root-knot nematodesReham M Youssef
USDA ARS, Soybean Genomic and Improvement Laboratory, 10300 Baltimore Ave, Bldg 006, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
BMC Plant Biol 13:67. 2013..maculicola. AtPAD4 (Arabidopsis thaliana PAD4) encodes a lipase-like protein that plays a regulatory role mediating salicylic acid ..
- TREHALOSE PHOSPHATE SYNTHASE11-dependent trehalose metabolism promotes Arabidopsis thaliana defense against the phloem-feeding insect Myzus persicaeVijay Singh
Department of Biological Sciences, University of North Texas, Denton, TX 76203, USA
Plant J 67:94-104. 2011..Our results provide a framework for the signaling function of TPS11-dependent trehalose in plant stress responses, and also reveal an important contribution of starch in controlling the severity of aphid infestation...
- Discrimination of Arabidopsis PAD4 activities in defense against green peach aphid and pathogensJoe Louis
Department of Biological Sciences, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas 76203, USA
Plant Physiol 158:1860-72. 2012The Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana) lipase-like protein PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 (PAD4) is essential for defense against green peach aphid (GPA; Myzus persicae) and the pathogens Pseudomonas syringae and Hyaloperonospora arabidopsidis...
- Early senescence and cell death in Arabidopsis saul1 mutants involves the PAD4-dependent salicylic acid pathwayKatja Vogelmann
Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Biozentrum Klein Flottbek, Universitat Hamburg, D 22609 Hamburg, Germany
Plant Physiol 159:1477-87. 2012..Double mutant analyses showed that PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 (PAD4) but not NONEXPRESSER OF PR GENES1 (NPR1) is essential for saul1 phenotypes...
- Natural variation in small molecule-induced TIR-NB-LRR signaling induces root growth arrest via EDS1- and PAD4-complexed R protein VICTR in ArabidopsisTae Houn Kim
Division of Biological Sciences, Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0116, USA
Plant Cell 24:5177-92. 2012..DFPM) that triggers rapid inhibition of early abscisic acid signal transduction via PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 (PAD4)- and ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1 (EDS1)-dependent immune signaling mechanisms...
- Regulation of cell death and innate immunity by two receptor-like kinases in ArabidopsisMinghui Gao
College of Biological Sciences, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100094, China
Cell Host Microbe 6:34-44. 2009..Our data suggest that BIR1 negatively regulates multiple plant resistance signaling pathways, one of which is the SOBIR1-dependent pathway identified here...
- PAD4-dependent antibiosis contributes to the ssi2-conferred hyper-resistance to the green peach aphidJoe Louis
Department of Biological Sciences, University of North Texas, Denton, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 23:618-27. 2010..Arabidopsis thaliana responds to GPA infestation with elevated expression of the PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 (PAD4) gene...
- Ascorbic acid deficiency in arabidopsis induces constitutive priming that is dependent on hydrogen peroxide, salicylic acid, and the NPR1 geneMadhumati Mukherjee
Department of Biology, West Virginia University, 53 Campus Drive, Morgantown, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 23:340-51. 2010..We also studied double mutants defective in the AA-biosynthetic gene VTC1 and the SA signaling pathway genes PAD4, EDS5, and NPR1, respectively. All vtc mutants were more resistant to P. syringae than the wild type...
- Chloroplast signaling and LESION SIMULATING DISEASE1 regulate crosstalk between light acclimation and immunity in ArabidopsisPer Mühlenbock
Department of Botany, Stockholm University, 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Plant Cell 20:2339-56. 2008..death depends on the plant defense regulators ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1 (EDS1) and PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 (PAD4). We find that EDS1 and PAD4 operate upstream of ethylene and ROS production in the EEE response...
- Lysigenous aerenchyma formation in Arabidopsis is controlled by LESION SIMULATING DISEASE1Per Mühlenbock
Institute of Plant Physiology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 30 239 Krakow, Poland
Plant Cell 19:3819-30. 2007..regulators LESION SIMULATING DISEASE1 (LSD1), ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPIBILITY1 (EDS1), and PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 (PAD4) that operate upstream of ethylene and reactive oxygen species production...
- Pathogen-associated molecular pattern recognition rather than development of tissue necrosis contributes to bacterial induction of systemic acquired resistance in ArabidopsisTatiana E Mishina
Julius von Sachs Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Wurzburg, Julius von Sachs Platz 3, D 97082 Wurzburg, Germany
Plant J 50:500-13. 2007..Our data indicate that PAMPs significantly contribute to SAR initiation in Arabidopsis and that tissue necroses at inoculation sites are dispensable for SAR activation...
- Arabidopsis MAP kinase 4 regulates salicylic acid- and jasmonic acid/ethylene-dependent responses via EDS1 and PAD4Peter Brodersen
Institute of Molecular Biology, Copenhagen University, Øster Farimagsgade 2A, DK 1353 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Plant J 47:532-46. 2006..and ET/JA-(co)activating functions depend on MPK4 kinase activity and involve the defense regulators EDS1 and PAD4, as mutations in these genes suppress de-repression of the SA pathway and suppress the block of the ET/JA pathway ..
- Conserved requirement for a plant host cell protein in powdery mildew pathogenesisChiara Consonni
Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Department of Plant Microbe Interactions, Carl von Linne Weg 10, D 50829 Köln, Germany
Nat Genet 38:716-20. 2006....